PDA

View Full Version : Dawkins: Sense of Urgency over CBA talks

Taco John
12-30-2010, 01:07 AM
“I would think common sense would say at the end of the day, after all the fighting and after all the words are said, we understand who butters our bread,” the veteran Denver Broncos safety said Tuesday. “That’s where the urgency comes in at.”

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5962888

Mile High Shack
12-30-2010, 06:45 AM
yeah, not all players have private jets, dickwad, but you are still have a higher % of millionaires than in my workplace.

The only people that lose in this is the fans, the common man could give a crap about millionaires and billionaires fighting each other.

Goobzilla
12-30-2010, 06:47 AM
Common sense SHOULD prevail. Both sides would be foolish to kill the golden goose that is NFL football.

missingnumber7
12-30-2010, 07:14 AM
yeah, not all players have private jets, dillwad, but you are still have a higher % of millionaires than in my workplace.

The only people that lose in this is the fans, the common man could give a crap about millionaires and billionaires fighting each other.

I think more than fans lose in this. I think the league loses as well, not the owners or the players as much as the league as a whole would. Plus advertisers would have to find other ways to spend their money.

Gort
12-30-2010, 07:16 AM
Common sense SHOULD prevail. Both sides would be foolish to kill the golden goose that is NFL football.

ego, pride, and greed have a way of interfering with common sense.

Garcia Bronco
12-30-2010, 08:18 AM
a lockout would be nothing but good for the fans.

beanerbronco
12-30-2010, 08:52 AM
Ummm how so? I would hate to not have football and all that comes it. And could you imagine what this board would be like with a bunch of OT threads?

bowtown
12-30-2010, 08:53 AM
Ummm how so? I would hate to not have football and all that comes it. And could you imagine what this board would be like with a bunch of OT threads?

exactly the same?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-30-2010, 08:54 AM

Yeah! You ca...

Wait. What?

TheReverend
12-30-2010, 08:56 AM
Yeah! You ca...

Wait. What?

First post since Tebow's first win. You mad while everyone else is here celebrating?

loborugger
12-30-2010, 09:00 AM

I am not immediately going to disagree with you but this post needs an explanation..

Garcia Bronco
12-30-2010, 09:03 AM

I think we'll survive a season without pro-football. It'll end up lower prices for the fans that go to games.

Rohirrim
12-30-2010, 09:03 AM
They should take a long, hard look at what strikes and lockouts did to baseball and hockey where fan support and TV revenues plunged and are still trying to recover. Nothing good comes from the combination of greed and ego.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-30-2010, 09:04 AM
First post since Tebow's first win. You mad while everyone else is here celebrating?

Also my first post since Christmas.

Were you here while everyone else was celebrating?

Still waiting on a response to that PM. I know you'd prefer to derail threads, but it was an honest question in need of an honest answer. Try to stop being a coward and answer for what you said.

Beantown Bronco
12-30-2010, 09:05 AM
I think we'll survive a season without pro-football. It'll end up lower prices for the fans that go to games.

Ummmm, the NHL (or at least the Bruins) apparently didn't get that memo.

bowtown
12-30-2010, 09:05 AM

Yeah but it will be pretty boring to just sit in an empty stadium and watch the grass grow, so in the end you will probably end up drinking more beer and spending just as much.

Garcia Bronco
12-30-2010, 09:07 AM
They should take a long, hard look at what strikes and lockouts did to baseball and hockey where fan support and TV revenues plunged and are still trying to recover. Nothing good comes from the combination of greed and ego.

But this isn't baseball or Hockey or Basketball where they play a billion games a season.

Garcia Bronco
Ummmm, the NHL (or at least the Bruins) apparently didn't get that memo.

It's probably punishment for being a Bruins fan. :)

peacepipe

Your an idiot if you think they'll lower prices. why would they charge less when they already know you'll pay more. If they are selling out games at the current price,why setle for less.

TheReverend
12-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Also my first post since Christmas.

Were you here while everyone else was celebrating?

Still waiting on a response to that PM. I know you'd prefer to derail threads, but it was an honest question in need of an honest answer. Try to stop being a coward and answer for what you said.

The game wasn't on Christmas... I suppose you probably didn't bother watching because Kyle was on the bench where he belongs, but it was really exciting. We finally had a quarterback pull the team onto his shoulders and pull out a second half win.

Sorry you couldn't enjoy that.

And I haven't bothered responding to your asinine PM because I already said everything there is to say on the subject. Sorry you can't comprehend what's right in front of your face.

Good news though... you can actually watch it AGAIN first hand in the video here:

http://orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=96012

Then, if you feel like it, you can go through all the thread responses and cry like the stupid punk bitch that's been wrong about everything he's posted here in 2 years time since your join date, and fight with all the posters that agree because it's blatantly obvious.

Garcia Bronco
12-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Your an idiot if you think they'll lower prices. why would they charge less when they already know you'll pay more. If they are selling out games at the current price,why setle for less.

They'll don't know if I'll pay more or not. The owners are losing money. They want that half percent back. Trust me....they'll have to charge less before they can charge more again.

peacepipe
12-30-2010, 09:11 AM
yeah, not all players have private jets, dillwad, but you are still have a higher % of millionaires than in my workplace.

The only people that lose in this is the fans, the common man could give a crap about millionaires and billionaires fighting each other.all the more reason not to worry about what the common man thinks. either way there won't be a lock out.

Garcia Bronco
12-30-2010, 09:15 AM
all the more reason not to worry about what the common man thinks. either way there won't be a lock out.

Oh yes there will....we are talking about a half percent of something like 10 billion. The only way this ends is when the Union takes it in the ass. They have little to no leverage.

Rohirrim
12-30-2010, 09:21 AM
But this isn't baseball or Hockey or Basketball where they play a billion games a season.

Doesn't matter. The longer fans go without games, the more they find something else to do. Will the hard-core fans return? Sure. Will the casual fans? They didn't for the NHL and MLB.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-30-2010, 09:22 AM
The game wasn't on Christmas... I suppose you probably didn't bother watching because Kyle was on the bench where he belongs, but it was really exciting. We finally had a quarterback pull the team onto his shoulders and pull out a second half win.

Sorry you couldn't enjoy that.

And I haven't bothered responding to your asinine PM because I already said everything there is to say on the subject. Sorry you can't comprehend what's right in front of your face.

Good news though... you can actually watch it AGAIN first hand in the video here:

http://orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=96012

Then, if you feel like it, you can go through all the thread responses and cry like the stupid punk b**** that's been wrong about everything he's posted here in 2 years time since your join date, and fight with all the posters that agree because it's blatantly obvious.

Wow, you're not very bright.

People go out of town for Christmas. I went out of town for Christmas. I was with family, and didn't really feel like owning your stupid ass over my holiday. I just returned to Steamboat yesterday, and finally got caught up enough with work to hop on and see what's what.

I watched and enjoyed Tebow's performance against Houston. Oh, but wait, you're simple minded and therefore think that anyone who also enjoyed Orton must hate Tim Tebow. I forget sometimes just how stupid you are. Thanks for the reminder.

And no, you haven't answered the PM because you're a cowardly little bitch. Can't stand the fact that someone called you on your rampant bull**** and would rather cry about nonsense on a message board than have an honest-to-god conversation about something.

You're a bitch. And now, you're my bitch.

Mile High Shack
12-30-2010, 09:24 AM
Doesn't matter. The longer fans go without games, the more they find something else to do. Will the hard-core fans return? Sure. Will the casual fans? They didn't for the NHL and MLB.

exactly, I'll just watch college football

TheReverend
12-30-2010, 09:27 AM
Wow, you're not very bright.

People go out of town for Christmas. I went out of town for Christmas. I was with family, and didn't really feel like owning your stupid ass over my holiday. I just returned to Steamboat yesterday, and finally got caught up enough with work to hop on and see what's what.

I watched and enjoyed Tebow's performance against Houston. Oh, but wait, you're simple minded and therefore think that anyone who also enjoyed Orton must hate Tim Tebow. I forget sometimes just how stupid you are. Thanks for the reminder.

And no, you haven't answered the PM because you're a cowardly little b****. Can't stand the fact that someone called you on your rampant bull**** and would rather cry about nonsense on a message board than have an honest-to-god conversation about something.

You're a b****. And now, you're my b****.

How do you figure? I can't really be your bitch when I'm right and you're wrong... again... and again... and again... and again... etc

Watch that video, I linked. Anyone who watches it AND DOESN'T SEE the defense rallying around them is... well...

Dumb enough to believe Kyle Orton is a quality player :)

And I think you hate Tebow because you spent all off-season hating Tebow... not because you love Kyle.

peacepipe
12-30-2010, 09:29 AM
They'll don't know if I'll pay more or not. The owners are losing money. They want that half percent back. Trust me....they'll have to charge less before they can charge more again.I didn't say they'll charge more,only that they won't lower the price from what it currently is.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-30-2010, 09:33 AM
How do you figure? I can't really be your b**** when I'm right and you're wrong... again... and again... and again... and again... etc

Watch that video, I linked. Anyone who watches it AND DOESN'T SEE the defense rallying around them is... well...

Dumb enough to believe Kyle Orton is a quality player :)

And I think you hate Tebow because you spent all off-season hating Tebow... not because you love Kyle.

Problem is, that's not what I asked in my PM.

See, in the Raider game, you made the asinine conclusion that the defense was playing well early because Tebow was under center. "A true leader" is how you put it, I believe.

When the defense started playing poorly late in the game, I asked what had changed. Was Tebow not the leader you'd thought? Did they suddenly not care that there was a "true leader" under center? Or was it more likely that the defense was either making plays or getting beat, independent of Tebow's presence under center?

So once again, you never answered the question, and instead choose to attack me on a completely separate thread with your "why are you crying while everyone is celebrating?" bull****. You're a child. A moron. A dumb ****.

And my bitch.

Thank you for playing, and good day.

peacepipe
12-30-2010, 09:33 AM
BTW, if the players decertify as I expect, NFL owners will not be able to lock out players. Players would essentially force a 2011 season & put onus of wether football continues squarely in the owners hands.

Garcia Bronco
12-30-2010, 09:34 AM

Good...and the price will go down.

bfoflcommish
12-30-2010, 09:34 AM

thats part of the problem, THEY ARENT SELLING OUT RIGHT NOW. other than the staples that ALWAYS sellout regardless like denver new england and the such, most other teams are nowhere near selling out any of thier games. ask oakland, san diego, cleveland, cincinatti, buffalo, etc...

TheReverend
12-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Problem is, that's not what I asked in my PM.

See, in the Raider game, you made the asinine conclusion that the defense was playing well early because Tebow was under center. "A true leader" is how you put it, I believe.

When the defense started playing poorly late in the game, I asked what had changed. Was Tebow not the leader you'd thought? Did they suddenly not care that there was a "true leader" under center? Or was it more likely that the defense was either making plays or getting beat, independent of Tebow's presence under center?

So once again, you never answered the question, and instead choose to attack me on a completely separate thread with your "why are you crying while everyone is celebrating?" bull****. You're a child. A moron. A dumb ****.

And my b****.

Thank you for playing, and good day.

Correct. I said, "The defense is responding to a true leader under center". And that's exactly right. You can read into it however you want. It's a plain fact. There's a goddamn video of it that I just linked to you. And please... explain how "I'm your bitch" when everything you've ever posted here has been wrong...?

Garcia Bronco
12-30-2010, 09:38 AM
BTW, if the players decertify as I expect, NFL owners will not be able to lock out players. Players would essentially force a 2011 season & put onus of wether football continues squarely in the owners hands.

If they decertify then they owners can move forward with getting more money back.

peacepipe
12-30-2010, 09:53 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/11/nflpa-decertification-vote-could-ensure-nfl-football-in-2011/

With fans celebrating the return of the NFL season, the NFLPA is providing us all with regular reminders that the league and the players are on a collision course for a potential work stoppage.

But the news this time is good, at least for the fans.

The union believes that the owners will lock the players out and/or unilaterally impose the league’s last, best offer as new work rules. And so the NFLPA reportedly is laying the foundation for a move that would set the stage for another class-action antitrust lawsuit, and that necessarily would allow football to continue, while the lawyers clean up all details. Liz Mullen of SportsBusiness Journal reports that all players will
be asked to vote to authorize
decertification. Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that the Saints already
have voted unanimously to allow decertification.

Decertification would be used either to block a lockout or to combat the unilateral imposition of work rules by the league. Put simply, if the NFLPA decertifies, the league would then be required to promulgate player acquisition and retention rules on an across-the-board basis. The union then would sue the league, arguing that the imposition of standard rules regarding player acquisition and retention among 32 different businesses constitutes a violation of antitrust laws.

The union applied the same approach after the failed strike of 1987. And the union’s ability to at least attempt the move was validated by the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling earlier this year in the American Needle case. Though the lengthy written opinion of the Court contains language suggesting that the NFL could defeat an antritust challenge in the context of labor relations, the outcome preserves the ability of the union to pursue the antitrust route.

Still, the move likely would prevent a work stoppage. And if the NFL were to attack the move by calling it a sham (Mullen points out the league has done this before), it would be very easy for the union to point out to the fans that they are doing everything they can to ensure that football will continue — and that the NFL is trying to take it away.Either way, as we get ready to enjoy Week One of the 2010 regular season, this development encourages us that there will be a Week One in 2011

SonOfLe-loLang
12-30-2010, 10:23 AM
Good...and the price will go down.

The vast majority of football fans don't attend games. Saying a lock out would be good for fans because it would drive prices down is only true for a very small population.

Garcia Bronco
12-30-2010, 10:31 AM
The vast majority of football fans don't attend games. Saying a lock out would be good for fans because it would drive prices down is only true for a very small population.

Then carry your ass to a game. :)

snowspot66
12-30-2010, 10:37 AM

Fantasy football will be the shield against fan apathy. It's a much easier game to get into for the casual fan than fantasy hockey or baseball.

peacepipe
12-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Fantasy football will be the shield against fan apathy. It's a much easier game to get into for the casual fan than fantasy hockey or baseball.MLB has been back on the rise,what has hurt baseball has been all the steroid scandals. clemons,McGwire, & palmeros poorformance on capitol hill also put a bigger spotlight on the problem. If not for the that MLB would be riding high.

SonOfLe-loLang
12-30-2010, 10:49 AM
Then carry your ass to a game. :)

i live in LA:) And really have little interest in going to games. I like watching them on tv

Kaylore
12-30-2010, 10:55 AM
Fantasy football will be the shield against fan apathy. It's a much easier game to get into for the casual fan than fantasy hockey or baseball.

This is a good point. Fantasy sports are one of the reasons there is universal appeal for all games. The NFL has managed to make the small market teams comparatively commercially as viable as the large ones.

bendog
12-30-2010, 11:07 AM
right, garcia, the owners will refund all that PCL money. and the banks will just write off the construction loans on new stadiums

Dr. Broncenstein
12-30-2010, 11:10 AM
I'll be cancelling my sunday ticket subscription right after the Chargers game. Show those biatches who's boss.

bowtown
12-30-2010, 11:43 AM
I'll be cancelling my sunday ticket subscription right after the Chargers game. Show those biatches who's boss.

At the game last weekend I snuck in my own peanuts. ^5

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Correct. I said, "The defense is responding to a true leader under center". And that's exactly right. You can read into it however you want. It's a plain fact. There's a goddamn video of it that I just linked to you. And please... explain how "I'm your b****" when everything you've ever posted here has been wrong...?

Holy. ****.

The defense responded to a true leader under center. That is your contention.

When the defense completely **** the bed later in that same game, did we suddenly change quarterbacks? Or was Tebow still under center?

Tebow was still under center.

So did the defense suddenly forget that Tebow was under center, doing his whole "true leader" routine?

Or was Tebow suddenly responsible for the defense ****ting the bed?

Or is it more likely that the quarterback has NOTHING TO DO WHATSOEVER with how the defense performs?

Your contention is absurd, especially in light of the fact that you give Tebow all the praise for the defense playing well, but none of the blame when they fall apart. It's hypocritical, stupid, childish, retarded, and ever-so Rev-ian.

Now, please, respond by missing the point -- AGAIN -- as you have throughout this entire conversation. I have no doubts of your ability in this regard.

OABB
12-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Holy. ****.

When the defense completely **** the bed later in that same game, did we suddenly change quarterbacks? Or was Tebow still under center?

So did the defense suddenly forget that Tebow was under center, doing his whole "true leader" routine?

Or is it more likely that the quarterback has NOTHING TO DO WHATSOEVER with how the defense performs?

Your contention is absurd, especially in light of the fact that you give Tebow all the praise for the defense playing well, but none of the blame when they fall apart. It's hypocritical, stupid, childish, retarded, and ever-so Rev-ian.

Now, please, respond by missing the point -- AGAIN -- as you have throughout this entire conversation. I have no doubts of your ability in this regard.

The defense wore down when Tebow was hamstrung by a terrible game plan in which he basically was told to run it on every third down. WE all saw last weekend, against Houstan that he can pass, and should do so.

We caused turnovers early in the oakland game, and actually won a game with one against Houston. I can definitely see a more excited defense since Tebow came in. I don't think it is the leadership qualities per se, but a feeling that the offense can score and that a few plays by the defense can win games. It is surely a refreshing feeling to a defensive player when he realizes his offense can sustain drives and score.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-30-2010, 03:36 PM
The defense wore down when Tebow was hamstrung by a terrible game plan in which he basically was told to run it on every third down. WE all saw last weekend, against Houstan that he can pass, and should do so.

We caused turnovers early in the oakland game, and actually won a game with one against Houston. I can definitely see a more excited defense since Tebow came in. I don't think it is the leadership qualities per se, but a feeling that the offense can score and that a few plays by the defense can win games. It is surely a refreshing feeling to a defensive player when he realizes his offense can sustain drives and score.

I agree with everything here, especially the bit about the game plan. But in no way do I think that Tebow's arrival under center was the "reason" for the defense playing well in the first half of that game. It was a stupid comment, I called him on it, and he's too big of a vag to admit that maybe it was an overreach.

Can't discuss things like an adult when your opponent is a child. That's all there is to it.

TheReverend
12-30-2010, 03:41 PM
I agree with everything here, especially the bit about the game plan. But in no way do I think that Tebow's arrival under center was the "reason" for the defense playing well in the first half of that game. It was a stupid comment, I called him on it, and he's too big of a vag to admit that maybe it was an overreach.

Can't discuss things like an adult when your opponent is a child. That's all there is to it.

First off, lol

Secondly, so you're agreeing the defense did play better "for some reason"?

Did you ever watch that video? Did you see Tebow and the defense in each faces pumping each other up?

Did you notice that we defensively kicked Houston's ass on cue when Tebow started taking it to them?

MUST BE A COINCIDENCE BRO!

Atwater His Ass
12-30-2010, 03:42 PM
I'm to the point where it's all just entertainment for me now. The passion I used to feel as a fan is all but gone with how much of a business it is for all parties involved. I don't really blame anyone, money is money and I certainly do everything I can in my life to maximize my earnings as well.

So I don't really care if they play football next season or not.

But I'm still excited about Tebow. Go figure.

Killericon
12-30-2010, 03:52 PM
The only potential winners form this is the NHL. The NHL's contract with Versus is up, and with the NBA and NFL facing lockouts, and ESPN needing to fill Airtime, this could be the NHL's golden moment.

TailgateNut
12-30-2010, 03:52 PM

HUH???? You trippin'?

OABB
12-30-2010, 03:53 PM

clearly you underestimate the passionate ball juice of Tebow. He really does bring excitement to the team, and I believe that the defense did step up because of his presence. Whether it was his leadership qualities, his rah rah cheering, or the fact that he doesn't fold up in the face of a rush, his presence is felt. I do believe that. And I think the defense is feeding off of it.

baja
12-30-2010, 03:53 PM

It will be insane to not come to an agreement in this economic climate. The league will suffer for a long time if there is a lock out. Maybe the ticket cost to the fans will come more in line with what the average can reasonably justify spending and that would be good for the game.

OABB
12-30-2010, 03:58 PM
I think the owners should be given all the money they want. They are clearly better at handling finances than the players because they have more money. Why should the Players be allowed to benefit from it? This is America baby. Let the owners trickle down the money to the players how ever they see fit. I trust that the rich owners will invest it wisely. because after all, they are rich and know how to handle money.

Drek
12-30-2010, 04:11 PM

MLB has been setting attendance records year on year for most if not all of this decade. They aren't exactly struggling by any stretch. It was down for a little while and bounced back without much of a hitch at all.

The NBA though did take a pretty hard hit post-strike and is still trying to recover with the threat of another one looming.

TheReverend
12-30-2010, 04:12 PM
I think the owners should be given all the money they want. They are clearly better at handling finances than the players because they have more money. Why should the Players be allowed to benefit from it? This is America baby. Let the owners trickle down the money to the players how ever they see fit. I trust that the rich owners will invest it wisely. because after all, they are rich and know how to handle money.

Time to sell stock in jewelry, strippers and rims?

Gort
12-30-2010, 04:24 PM
Time to sell stock in jewelry, strippers and rims?

oh yeah. the "rims" industry is going into a steep decline in 2011. steep!

baja
12-30-2010, 04:29 PM
Holy. ****.

<b>Your contention is absurd,</b> especially in light of the fact that you give Tebow all the praise for the defense playing well, but none of the blame when they fall apart. It's hypocritical, stupid, childish, retarded, and ever-so Rev-ian.

After more time here you will come to realize he does that a lot. That and display unreasonable anger toward anyone that threatens his image of himself. ;D