PDA

View Full Version : Bed Shopping Time

Boobs McGee
12-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Lets talk beds, shall we?

With all of the crazy deals going on (YEAR END CLEARANCE!!!!), I wanted to know what some of you are sleeping on? I've always just kind of gone the cheaper route, with no actual research minus a quick showroom laydown here and there.

My personal preference is something plush, and I've never had any kind of problems with it. I wouldn't be OPPOSED to a firm (or memory foam, tempurpedic etc) mattress, so that's not off of the table either.

So far, Denver Mattress Co. has some of the best deals on comfy looking beds, but mattressfirm has the tempurpedic, sealy, etc with some great deals.

I'm looking for a queen size, for under 700, and am leaning towards plush. I've never had problems going to sleep, waking up, or back pain due to sleep patterns, if any of that info helps.

SO, what's everyone counting sheep on these days?

On a side note, while I'm currently not getting any serious action, i WOULD like a bed that can handle some olympic activity...never tried any hanky panky on memory foam, don't know if it makes a difference or not but please take into account that I won't be without poonany forever, and require a bed that allows for bow chica bow bow

strafen
12-29-2010, 09:44 PM

With all of the crazy deals going on (YEAR END CLEARANCE!!!!), I wanted to know what some of you are sleeping on? I've always just kind of gone the cheaper route, with no actual research minus a quick showroom laydown here and there.

My personal preference is something plush, and I've never had any kind of problems with it. I wouldn't be OPPOSED to a firm (or memory foam, tempurpedic etc) mattress, so that's not off of the table either.

So far, Denver Mattress Co. has some of the best deals on comfy looking beds, but mattressfirm has the tempurpedic, sealy, etc with some great deals.

I'm looking for a queen size, for under 700, and am leaning towards plush. I've never had problems going to sleep, waking up, or back pain due to sleep patterns, if any of that info helps.

On a side note, while I'm currently not getting any serious action, i WOULD like a bed that can handle some olympic activity...never tried any hanky panky on memory foam, don't know if it makes a difference or not but please take into account that I won't be without poonany forever, and require a bed that allows for bow chica bow bowCheck craigslist for some killer deals on some brandname sets, like the one(s) you want.
I'm of course talking brand new sets...

zdoor
12-29-2010, 10:08 PM
If you get a memory foam bed, I'd make sure it's a pillow top. They are kinda firm....

Boobs McGee
12-29-2010, 10:12 PM
Had a BAAAAAD experience with a Craigslist bed once, and unfortunately I can't bring myself to buy one from there ever again... good call though!

As for the pillow top... does that mean its a memory foam pillow top? Or a regular pillow top on a memory foam mattress

DenverBrit
12-29-2010, 10:14 PM
Get a Temperpedic. I've had one for 12 years, comfortable, never dips and it's still going strong.

A great investment with which a conventional sprung mattresses can't compare .....no matter how much one spends.

Boobs McGee
12-29-2010, 10:26 PM
Now with the tempurpedic, do they come in different firmness'? I thought I saw one that was adjustable, but I'm not sure if that's how they all work. No indentations after 12 years, really? Damn that's impressive

IHaveALight
12-29-2010, 10:35 PM
I don't have a tempurpedic, but have slept on them. It's the best mattress money can buy.
I do use a tempurpedic pillow though, and got a lot of my family using them. They did wonders for my dad’s and uncles neck problems and my mom’s back problems.
I'd imagine anyone with back or neck pain would be doing themselves a big favor if they got both a tempurpedic mattress and pillow.

Not sure what zdoor's talking about with the pillow top though. Don't think Tempurpedic makes a pillow top mattress, nor would it make any sense to IMO. Maybe cheaper memory foams use pillow tops?

orange crusher
12-29-2010, 10:52 PM
Just got a new mattress a few months ago. I went to Denver Mattress and told them I wanted the softest mattress they had. They sent me to the Richmond Euro-Top. Not sure what the queen size costs. The king was about $1,100 but I have absolutely no complaints or regrets. I thought it was more comfortable than some of the other name brands at comparable prices.

DBroncos4life
12-29-2010, 11:52 PM

On a side note, while I'm currently not getting any serious action, i WOULD like a bed that can handle some olympic activity...never tried any hanky panky on memory foam, don't know if it makes a difference or not but please take into account that I won't be without poonany forever, and require a bed that allows for bow chica bow bow

I love my Denver Mattress, that said Sleep number has the best beds you can buy period.

Boomhauer
12-29-2010, 11:54 PM
Lets talk beds, shall we? ...

I wouldn't care if it was concrete imbeded with broken glass if I shared it with your avatar ^5

enjolras
12-29-2010, 11:58 PM
We have a king-size inner-spring from IKEA that was meant to be a stop-gap. We've had it for 5 years, moved it 4 times, and we still are in love with it.

I can't believe how awesome this thing has been.

ColoradoDarin
12-30-2010, 05:52 AM
Got a king size bed from Costco last year on sale, was $800 delivered (Sealy plush, I think), we absolutely love it.

rugbythug
12-30-2010, 06:02 AM
Love my denver mattress. 10 years 3 babies still nice.

lostknight
12-30-2010, 06:02 AM
Have a Queen size from Denver matress that's five years old, and that I hate. As soon as the IKEA opens, we will be replacing it with a European style king.

Boobs McGee
12-30-2010, 07:48 AM
Well, so far it sounds like Denver mattress and tempurpedic are the ones I'm going to be checking out. Comfort and reliability are the leading factors here, and they both seem to fit those aspects pretty well. And lol @ rugbythug, that's a pretty solid endorsement ;)

Smiling Assassin27
12-30-2010, 08:04 AM
I'm a sleep number guy. I don't know how I got along without my Sleep Number bed by Select Comfort.

Beantown Bronco
12-30-2010, 08:10 AM
I'm married and I like to mouth off to the Misses on a regular basis. Therefore, I find my time is better spent researching the comfort of the next potential living room couch than the bed.

Boobs McGee
12-30-2010, 08:29 AM
Lol! I dont have to worry about that for a few more years ;D

loborugger
12-30-2010, 08:34 AM
I had a Tempurpedic. Loved it. The movers stored it on its side and destroyed it. Got an insurance settlement, went to buy a new one. While out shopping, I ran into a Natura. Its an organic memory foam bed. Its also fantastic. Better, it costs less. And if you are an earth muffin, its also a bed that saves the Polar Bears and such.

Pony Boy
12-30-2010, 08:47 AM

This should do it

Broncoman13
12-30-2010, 09:00 AM

We bought a new bed a little while back (5 or 6 months ago). We went with a firm bed (Sealy) with a thick pillow-top cover on it. Kind of gives us the best of both worlds. You should look into it. Gives you the support of a firm, but has the initial soft and sinking feel of a plush.

Rohirrim
12-30-2010, 09:05 AM
Stearns & Foster pillow top king. Nothing else comes close.

Boobs McGee
05-27-2012, 06:49 PM
SO. never went through with the purchase, but I'm getting ready to pull the trigger. I've gone into a few stores, and am leaning heavily towards the tempurpedic cloud-luxe with ergo advanced package. A LOT of money, but right now they have no interest for 5 years. Its odd, but I've gotten older since I started this thread, and now I DO wake up with back pain. Damn aging.

Anywho, going to a sleep number store tomorrow for a comparison ...any more response to either system? ( sleep number vs tempurpedic)

Dutch
05-27-2012, 07:06 PM
SO. never went through with the purchase, but I'm getting ready to pull the trigger. I've gone into a few stores, and am leaning heavily towards the tempurpedic cloud-luxe with ergo advanced package. A LOT of money, but right now they have no interest for 5 years. Its odd, but I've gotten older since I started this thread, and now I DO wake up with back pain. Damn aging.

Anywho, going to a sleep number store tomorrow for a comparison ...any more response to either system? ( sleep number vs tempurpedic)

I remember reading rhis post when you started it and didn't get a chance to kick in then. We've tried and returned both a Temperpedic, and a Select Comfort. I broke my back several years ago and when we went looking for new mattresses we tried them all. The problem I had with the Temper was heat. I sleep hot, and I sweat like mad on the memory foam (like soaked). Same problem for the Sleep Number (at the end of the day, it is still an air mattress, not a problem for a lot of folks.....but it was for me). Just my .02 cents. We ended up with a Sterns and Foster and have been sleeping like rocks ever since.

DenverBrit
05-27-2012, 07:20 PM

I really don't think there is a better mattress than a Temperpedic, but it is subjective where comfort and preference is concerned.

Mine is now in its 14th year and still going strong. It is the 'original' size and materials and they have added many new beds that I'm not familiar with. I'm tempted to go an look at some of the newer models and the adjustable base.

Good luck with your choice.

DenverBrit
05-27-2012, 07:23 PM
I remember reading rhis post when you started it and didn't get a chance to kick in then. We've tried and returned both a Temperpedic, and a Select Comfort. I broke my back several years ago and when we went looking for new mattresses we tried them all. The problem I had with the Temper was heat. I sleep hot, and I sweat like mad on the memory foam (like soaked). Same problem for the Sleep Number (at the end of the day, it is still an air mattress, not a problem for a lot of folks.....but it was for me). Just my .02 cents. We ended up with a Sterns and Foster and have been sleeping like rocks ever since.

I have heard this happening and feel fortunate it wasn't a problem for me.

If one sleeps 'hot', then memory foam isn't a good choice. Duxana is a conventional mattress with a good rep and high price tag, but a quality alternative. http://duxiana.com/

baja
05-27-2012, 07:33 PM
http://www.longevitywarehouse.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=EarthingBed12inCalKin g

http://www.longevitywarehouse.com/Earthing-Bed-12inch-Ultimate-Cal-King-p/earthingbed12incalking.htm

Bronco Yoda
05-27-2012, 07:33 PM
We bought a new bed a little while back (5 or 6 months ago). We went with a firm bed (Sealy) with a thick pillow-top cover on it. Kind of gives us the best of both worlds. You should look into it. Gives you the support of a firm, but has the initial soft and sinking feel of a plush.

I bought one of these in King size from Costco 2 years ago. The Damn thing is already broken down. And it really sucks that they no longer make both sides pillow top anymore. You use to be able to flip the mattress every couple months to really extend the life of the mattress. Now you're just **** out of luck when it starts breaking down.

DenverBrit
05-27-2012, 07:40 PM
http://www.longevitywarehouse.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=EarthingBed12inCalKin g

http://www.longevitywarehouse.com/Earthing-Bed-12inch-Ultimate-Cal-King-p/earthingbed12incalking.htm

What's the warranty??

All I could see was a 30 day return and no returns after 30 days.

So basically a 30 day warranty?

baja
05-27-2012, 07:43 PM
What's the warranty??

All I could see was a 30 day return and no returns after 30 days.

So basically a 30 day warranty?

I don't know. Maybe it's on the video

Bronco Yoda
05-27-2012, 07:46 PM

****!!! I was considering getting a sleep number. But i sleep hot too. No way do I want to deal with that.

broncosteven
05-27-2012, 07:48 PM

I agree about sleeping hot, on our original queen we had bought a Temperpedic pillow (?) top cover on top of the traditional mattress and I sweat all the time. I liked the comfort and it didn't seem to bother the wife but it was too much for me.

We bought a sealy pillow top king and love it, the only problem is we didnt flip it and it is bowing but the most awesome bed I have ever had.

As far as pillows I have 2 Temperpedic's one that has a dip in it that is sort of wedge shaped which I only use if I read in bed, a Temperpedic that I rest my head on and an old sobakowa(sp?) that I have had for almost 20 years now that is my woobie and I can't leave home without. As long as I have the sobakowa I can make most any pillow work for me. It took me a long time to get used to the noise but it has been my best pillow ever.

Ratboy
05-27-2012, 08:02 PM
I spent about a grand on mine.

Serta - Vera Wang - Natural Jardin (Firm)

I enjoy it, great sleep.

t-diddy
05-27-2012, 09:14 PM
I bought the Cloud-luxe about two months ago. Did a ton of research and came to the same point that you are at, sleep number vs. tempurpedic. Check out this website, it has a ton of information. http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/index.html

I chose the tempurpedic for two reasons: First, it was the most comfortable bed i've ever laid down on. Second, i heard a lot of bad things about the sleep number beds losing air or having mechanical issues. Plus, it wasn't as comfortable as the Tempurpedic.

I have major back problems and was hoping this bed would help but so far it hasn't changed much. In fact, i think it is a little too soft for me. That being said, it is incredibly comfortable. My wife loves it too.

IHaveALight
05-27-2012, 10:44 PM
I bought the Cloud-luxe about two months ago. Did a ton of research and came to the same point that you are at, sleep number vs. tempurpedic. Check out this website, it has a ton of information. http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/index.html

I chose the tempurpedic for two reasons: First, it was the most comfortable bed i've ever laid down on. Second, i heard a lot of bad things about the sleep number beds losing air or having mechanical issues. Plus, it wasn't as comfortable as the Tempurpedic.

I have major back problems and was hoping this bed would help but so far it hasn't changed much. In fact, i think it is a little too soft for me. That being said, it is incredibly comfortable. My wife loves it too.

Do you use a tempurpedic pillow as well?

t-diddy
05-28-2012, 12:09 AM
Do you use a tempurpedic pillow as well?
Yes.

kappys
05-28-2012, 06:17 AM
Memory foam mattress and pillow are the way to go. I love my set.

The only problem now is sleeping at hotels - even nice hotel beds seem terrible.

Boobs McGee
05-28-2012, 10:38 AM
Thanks so much for all of the feedback.

Dutch: I too am a hot sleeper, but at this point in time I literally have a fan blowing on me at all times in my room. Currently sleeping on a bargain bed (spring, but it's sagging greatly at this point). I've also seen a couple of "cooling" mattress covers that I'm wondering might solve the problem? Aside from the heat problem, did you enjoy the mattress itself?

Gene-incarnate: That's the biggest problem I have with going traditional spring bed again...I don't want to buy a new bed every few years, and the warranties I've seen are 10-15 years, up to 1 1/2" sag. NOT acceptable for me :( The temperpedic has a 20 year warranty with a 3/4" sag. Do you know which model exactly you guys went with?

T-Dizzle: Thanks for the link, I've been searching there as well as here: http://www.themattressunderground.com/ I feel much more educated, but that particular site is REALLY tough on beds of all kinds, and it almost seems like they poo poo just about everything out there. When you say it hasn't helped with your back pain, is the comfort you've found with it worth the money? Do you sleep hot as well? If the luxe isn't clearing up your problems, I'm half tempted to try the base cloud out for 30 days...not quite as soft but still nice it appears.

Anywho, I've been back in, and the other bed I like quite a bit is the Snowmass by Denver Mattress.

Completely different feel, but comfortable nonetheless.

Freaking decisions decisions!!!!!!

I sincerely appreciate all of the assistance and reviews, keep em coming, as the sale I"m looking at continues through the end of the month!

Cheers

baja
05-28-2012, 12:40 PM
Me , I'm hot in bed than I go to sleep. ;D

t-diddy
05-28-2012, 10:10 PM
Thanks so much for all of the feedback.

T-Dizzle: Thanks for the link, I've been searching there as well as here: http://www.themattressunderground.com/ I feel much more educated, but that particular site is REALLY tough on beds of all kinds, and it almost seems like they poo poo just about everything out there. When you say it hasn't helped with your back pain, is the comfort you've found with it worth the money? Do you sleep hot as well? If the luxe isn't clearing up your problems, I'm half tempted to try the base cloud out for 30 days...not quite as soft but still nice it appears.

Cheers
My back issues are pretty bad so bedwise i was just looking for something tolerable. The best thing for my back would be something rock hard and the wife (nor I) wasn't too thrilled about that prospect. I think it is totally worth the money. Won't have to buy another one for a long time so i figure it saves money in the long run. As far as sleeping hot, i do sleep very hot. That is the one complaint i would have is how hot it sleeps, but, i've slept hot in every other bed i've owned as well.

Overall, i would say it is well worth the money. Not sure what is offered in your area but the place i bought mine from in Albuquerque offers a one-year comfort policy so i figured there wasn't too much risk. I can return it anytime within a year and exchange it for any other mattress. This made a big difference for me in helping me to pull the trigger. No risk.

Good luck with your decision, hope i've helped some.

Drek
05-29-2012, 05:22 AM
I have heard this happening and feel fortunate it wasn't a problem for me.

If one sleeps 'hot', then memory foam isn't a good choice. Duxana is a conventional mattress with a good rep and high price tag, but a quality alternative. http://duxiana.com/

Or if someone wants memory foam but is concerned about the heat they could look into a bed with some form of new cooling technology.

For example, the wife and I just went bed shopping yesterday and bought a Comforpedic that has multiple layers of gel infused cooling foam and a seal layer between the cool foam and the rolled out memory foam core. Doesn't get hot at all and has a 25 year warranty.

Mediator12
05-29-2012, 02:00 PM
I have a sleep number bed and I love it! I do NOT have the same issue with the heat as the tempurpedic. The comforpedic sounds awesome. My wife's new car has the active seat coolers and the comforpedic sounds comparable as a mattress.

I have a bad back and I have never had a bad day of sleep on this mattress. Hotels are hard on my back though like someone else said.

Kaylore
05-29-2012, 02:24 PM
We spent about 1500 on a Seally pillow-top a year ago. Best decision we ever made. You spend a third of your life in bed. It's worth it to have a nice one.

DenverBrit
05-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Or if someone wants memory foam but is concerned about the heat they could look into a bed with some form of new cooling technology.

For example, the wife and I just went bed shopping yesterday and bought a Comforpedic that has multiple layers of gel infused cooling foam and a seal layer between the cool foam and the rolled out memory foam core. Doesn't get hot at all and has a 25 year warranty.

That's great. I haven't been in the market for a bed in 14 years, so I'm not up to date with the changes and upgrades.
It sounds as if you have found a great bed......I'm going to take a look too. I've recently been thinking about an adjustable version, so thanks for the info.

Boobs McGee
06-15-2012, 07:32 AM
UPDATE:

Finally found it. Quick shout out to Urban Mattress - If anyone is looking for knowledgable sales staff, no pressure buying, and a retailer that supports the Colorado economy, then get your ass down to Urban Mattress. I went to the one by my house on Colorado blvd, and the guys there spent about three hours with me going through the pros and cons of each mattress, whilst feeding me free beer from the Bull and Bush (totally awesome). They have a wide assortment of beds, and took me through each different line. They helped me narrow my selection down after actually LISTENING to my criteria (hot sleeper, heavier person, back pain, etc), and from there it was easy.

I finally settled on there Evosleep line (It's made by Sherwood http://www.sherwoodbedding.com/products/evosleep-gel.) I ended up picking out an Evosleep Gel Biotemp Luxury Retreat Firm.

Impressions after the first week: Incredible. It's comprised of premium Talalay Latex (one of the best cooling materials, also holds up well over time), premium polyfoam, their patented biomedical gel system, and a temperature regulating ticking. WOW.
Comfort - Doesn't get much better than this...the upper layers are plush yet firm, and conform pleasantly to your body, relieving the major pressure points. In ANY position, it's a cloud like feeling.
Support - I can literally feel my lower back being cradled, or my shoulder/hips if I'm sleeping on my side. I haven't woken up with back pain since the first night of sleep.
Warmth - It still sleeps a bit hot, but not NEARLY as much as a memory foam bed or my last inner spring w/ pillow top. Also, I found out that my bedding is contributing to the heat (currently on jersey knit sheets with a down comforter). Going to switch to some temp regulating sheets this weekend. The good news, is that now I don't have to sleep with a fan blowing directly on me haha.

Anywho, even though it was a pricey bed, I feel initially that it was a wonderful investment. They have 4 year no interest program, and it fell within my target budget. With a 20 year warranty, the latest and greatest in mattress technology, and better sleep than I've had in the last three years, I'm a HUGE fan. Comfort and support wise, it's a 10 out of 10. Obviously, my sample size is small at the moment, but for anyone looking to pull the trigger on new bed, this one has Boobs' seal of approval.

Thanks again for all of the help everyone!

Dutch
06-15-2012, 07:56 AM
UPDATE:

Finally found it. Quick shout out to Urban Mattress - If anyone is looking for knowledgable sales staff, no pressure buying, and a retailer that supports the Colorado economy, then get your ass down to Urban Mattress. I went to the one by my house on Colorado blvd, and the guys there spent about three hours with me going through the pros and cons of each mattress, whilst feeding me free beer from the Bull and Bush (totally awesome). They have a wide assortment of beds, and took me through each different line. They helped me narrow my selection down after actually LISTENING to my criteria (hot sleeper, heavier person, back pain, etc), and from there it was easy.

I finally settled on there Evosleep line (It's made by Sherwood http://www.sherwoodbedding.com/products/evosleep-gel.) I ended up picking out an Evosleep Gel Biotemp Luxury Retreat Firm.

Impressions after the first week: Incredible. It's comprised of premium Talalay Latex (one of the best cooling materials, also holds up well over time), premium polyfoam, their patented biomedical gel system, and a temperature regulating ticking. WOW.
Comfort - Doesn't get much better than this...the upper layers are plush yet firm, and conform pleasantly to your body, relieving the major pressure points. In ANY position, it's a cloud like feeling.
Support - I can literally feel my lower back being cradled, or my shoulder/hips if I'm sleeping on my side. I haven't woken up with back pain since the first night of sleep.
Warmth - It still sleeps a bit hot, but not NEARLY as much as a memory foam bed or my last inner spring w/ pillow top. Also, I found out that my bedding is contributing to the heat (currently on jersey knit sheets with a down comforter). Going to switch to some temp regulating sheets this weekend. The good news, is that now I don't have to sleep with a fan blowing directly on me haha.

Anywho, even though it was a pricey bed, I feel initially that it was a wonderful investment. They have 4 year no interest program, and it fell within my target budget. With a 20 year warranty, the latest and greatest in mattress technology, and better sleep than I've had in the last three years, I'm a HUGE fan. Comfort and support wise, it's a 10 out of 10. Obviously, my sample size is small at the moment, but for anyone looking to pull the trigger on new bed, this one has Boobs' seal of approval.

Thanks again for all of the help everyone!

Glad you were able to find something that worked out so well for you, Boobs. Can't beat a great night's sleep. Congrats!

Jesterhole
06-15-2012, 08:28 AM
I got a Comforpedic mattress and pillows. They were expensive, but worth every single penny so far. The thing has these gel pellets buried throughout that absorb body heat, so you don't sleep hot on the thing at all, even though you practically sink into it. Started getting crazy REM sleep when I switched to it, will never own a spring supported mattress again.

maher_tyler
06-15-2012, 08:29 AM

If you're looking to spend less than $700 you can forget about a Tempurpedic...

baja
06-15-2012, 08:30 AM
Gotta support the Boobs.

I'm gonna check this out

Boobs McGee
06-15-2012, 08:39 AM
If you're looking to spend less than $700 you can forget about a Tempurpedic...

haha yeaaaah, I figured that out pretty quick ;D

Ended up mid 2k's. Not gonna have to buy a bed for another 12 years or so (the last three have been cheapies that crapped out after about 2ish years each) at least, so I was shopping more off of bed quality then price this time!

Thanks dutch! Good luck Baja! And Jesterhole, I looked at the Comforpedic as well, but due to my size/weight, it wasn't quite built for me like this one is. Heard LOTS of good things about it though!

maher_tyler
06-15-2012, 08:47 AM
I bought one of these in King size from Costco 2 years ago. The Damn thing is already broken down. And it really sucks that they no longer make both sides pillow top anymore. You use to be able to flip the mattress every couple months to really extend the life of the mattress. Now you're just **** out of luck when it starts breaking down.

You know you can return it to Costo w/o the receipt and get a new one? Not sure if you can get a full refund or not...