PDA

View Full Version : New LED TVs, Anyone have one?

Broncoman13
12-28-2010, 09:27 PM
Anybody on the Mane have a LED LCD TV? Wondering specifically about larger screen sizes and what you make like/dislike about them. I've been needing to upgrade my TV for a little while and finally did so today.

I am almost embarrassed to say what TV it is, probably more TV than I need. But it was an awesome deal and I had $650 coming my way from Best Buy anyhow... so figured what the heck. 3D, Couple pairs of glasses, 3D Blue Ray player, and a WIFI USB Transceiver thingymabob. TV comes on Friday, pretty stoked! Haven't told the kids yet either... have the first three Shreks on 3D Blueray for them as soon as it comes! That should keep'em busy on New Years! ;D

Anyhow, if any of you have any experience with the LED TVs please let me know. I've been a fan and supporter of Plasma sets for the last 5 years, but the deal was too good to pass up!

Broncoman13
12-28-2010, 09:40 PM
Anybody?

enjolras
12-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Uhm... love em?:) I really dig the contrast and black-levels possible with LED's. Definitely the way to go.

Garcia Bronco
12-28-2010, 09:46 PM
i have one at 46 inches. I would spend some time looking at a few different ones.

Brewer
12-28-2010, 09:48 PM
Buddy has one. He's pale and thin. Never sees the sun. Lives vacariously through his television. I'll give you his number so you can have a friend since you're planning on never leaving home again. Tell him I said hi. ROFL!

Oh, yeah- his tv looks about like every other decent LCD tv.

Los Broncos
12-28-2010, 09:59 PM
I have a LG 47 inch LED.

Likes: great picture of course, plenty of HDMI ports, easy to use menu, good for gaming.

Not to many dislikes, if you can get a Sharp.

I get a discount on them through my employer, at the time they didn't have the one I wanted instock otherwise I would of bought one.

ant1999e
12-28-2010, 10:19 PM
I have a 50 something Ish Samsung and have no complaints.

i4jelway7
12-29-2010, 01:27 AM
I got this 55" Sony Bravia LED IP 3Dtv on black friday for $1800
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6688640&CatId=5990

great tv my only complaint is that the Sony tv's are advertised as picture in picture, which is misleading b/c all Sony's for the picture in picture to work you have to have a computer hooked up to the tv, you can't do picture in picture with any other input, it has to be the computer only. I'm still pissed at that.. I would not of bought the TV had I known this and the tech specs on the tv clearly state the tv is picture in picture but no where does it say it can only do picture in picture with a pc hooked up to it <--- very stupid Sony, thought Sony was leading technology, obviously not, picture in picture is old technology and Sony clearly doesn't get it

on that note anyone want to buy this tv from me? $1800

Beantown Bronco
12-29-2010, 05:55 AM
Sounds like someone got the Samsung 8000 series. I've been eye-balling those for a little while myself. If you're sold on LEDs, you really can't beat the deals they've been running on those with all the free 3D stuff.

One word of advice when you get it all set up: if you don't like what people call the "soap opera effect" where the camera panning sometimes seems unnatural and video-like instead of film-like, it's easy to shut off from the advanced picture menus. Some people like it, some hate it.

Kaylore
12-29-2010, 06:00 AM
We bought a 50" plasma this year in lieu of the LCD's. Not a fan of 3D really either.

If you are putting it in a well lit room, like with a lot of windows, LCD is the way to go. The black levels are better on an LED but they still don't hold a candle to plasma and I'm not a fan of the way the new LCD's make everything look like it's on video. For sports, plasma also is better because the refresh rate is tripple that of liquid crystal displays.

It sounds like your mind is made up, though Oskie. So hope you enjoy your new TV. :)

Mr. Elway
12-29-2010, 06:36 AM
I'm not a fan of the way the new LCD's make everything look like it's on video.

OK, confused me there ;D

Garcia Bronco
12-29-2010, 06:49 AM
I have a LG 47 inch LED.

Likes: great picture of course, plenty of HDMI ports, easy to use menu, good for gaming.

Not to many dislikes, if you can get a Sharp.

I get a discount on them through my employer, at the time they didn't have the one I wanted instock otherwise I would of bought one.

I have a sharp and it's so clear its ****ed up. I bought one of the quatrons. Its okay. thats why I said try a few different ones.

Kaylore
12-29-2010, 06:54 AM
OK, confused me there ;D

The way the LCD's display, they are super detailed, but not always in a flattering way. The way the display shows motion creates a frame rate effect of video. Film is traditionally more flattering to people and 24 frames as opposed to the 32 creates softer, prettier movement. The new LCD's appear unnatural to me where the wrong things are being overly clarified.

Again, this is just my two cents.

Ray Finkle
12-29-2010, 06:55 AM
have a 46 Sony Bravia LED....love it.

LetsGoBroncos
12-29-2010, 07:07 AM
have a 46 Sony Bravia LED....love it.

Me too. Which one do you have? I have the 46HX800....3D ready

bronco militia
12-29-2010, 07:16 AM
Me too. Which one do you have? I have the 46HX800....3D ready

yeah, I bought that one on black friday.....IT'S AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

$1199.00 at ultimate. I saved $1500

holding off on the 3d for now

Broncoman13
12-29-2010, 07:24 AM
We bought a 50" plasma this year in lieu of the LCD's. Not a fan of 3D really either.

If you are putting it in a well lit room, like with a lot of windows, LCD is the way to go. The black levels are better on an LED but they still don't hold a candle to plasma and I'm not a fan of the way the new LCD's make everything look like it's on video. For sports, plasma also is better because the refresh rate is tripple that of liquid crystal displays.

It sounds like your mind is made up, though Oskie. So hope you enjoy your new TV. :)

Yeah, I did a bit of research into it bud. I bought my oldest a TV for him room (Vizio with the internet apps). It has a 60hz refresh rate and I thought that would make everything look kind of slow and choppy. Very surprised to find out that most over the air programming is only broadcasted in 60hz anyway. We watched a bit of the Celtics/Magic basketball game over the weekend. No problems so far.

The TV I got (Sammy 8000) has a 240hz refresh rate. I am a little concerned with the "Soap Opera" Effect, Clouding, and the Flashing Brights that are commonly reported in the LEDs.

I also play some games on the big screen. Kids play Rock Band or American Idol or Eyetoy or whatever and the timing or lag can be an issue with those sorts of games... or the FPS type games (COD baby!). My understanding is that there are a few modes on the TV that will allow you to reduce the lag time... obviously the game mode has those settings predetermined.

Rather than buying a calibration disc or having someone come in a cal the TV, I'm just going to steal the settings off of a buddy that's posted them up on AVS... and hope that we have similar taste!

Broncoman13
12-29-2010, 07:25 AM
Sounds like someone got the Samsung 8000 series. I've been eye-balling those for a little while myself. If you're sold on LEDs, you really can't beat the deals they've been running on those with all the free 3D stuff.

One word of advice when you get it all set up: if you don't like what people call the "soap opera effect" where the camera panning sometimes seems unnatural and video-like instead of film-like, it's easy to shut off from the advanced picture menus. Some people like it, some hate it.

Do you recall what the setting is?

bronco militia
12-29-2010, 07:27 AM

it's in the video settings...Cinemotion. it will have three settings

Broncoman13
12-29-2010, 07:27 AM
Cool thanks BM!

bronco militia
12-29-2010, 07:31 AM
check also Motionflow

http://esupport.sony.com/docs/imanual/NA/EN/2b-15/picture_2b15_uc.html

Los Broncos
I have a sharp and it's so clear its ****ed up. I bought one of the quatrons. Its okay. thats why I said try a few different ones.

I remember you saying that a while back.

The Aquos is the one that's really good.

LetsGoBroncos
yeah, I bought that one on black friday.....IT'S AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

$1199.00 at ultimate. I saved $1500

holding off on the 3d for now

I sent you a PM

glennst
12-29-2010, 07:32 AM

On a Samsung it is called Auto Motion Plus.

Kaylore
12-29-2010, 07:32 AM
The TV I got (Sammy 8000) has a 240hz refresh rate. I am a little concerned with the "Soap Opera" Effect, Clouding, and the Flashing Brights that are commonly reported in the LEDs.

This is what I was referring to earlier. Soap Opera's are shot in video for budget reasons and all movies and programming starts look this way with the new LED's. Some people like it, but I find it annoying and so went with the Plasma.

Dutch
12-29-2010, 07:35 AM
Yeah, I did a bit of research into it bud. I bought my oldest a TV for him room (Vizio with the internet apps). It has a 60hz refresh rate and I thought that would make everything look kind of slow and choppy. Very surprised to find out that most over the air programming is only broadcasted in 60hz anyway. We watched a bit of the Celtics/Magic basketball game over the weekend. No problems so far.

I also play some games on the big screen. Kids play Rock Band or American Idol or Eyetoy or whatever and the timing or lag can be an issue with those sorts of games... or the FPS type games (COD baby!). My understanding is that there are a few modes on the TV that will allow you to reduce the lag time... obviously the game mode has those settings predetermined.

Rather than buying a calibration disc or having someone come in a cal the TV, I'm just going to steal the settings off of a buddy that's posted them up on AVS... and hope that we have similar taste!

Check and see if www.CNET.com has done a review of your set, chances are that they have and if so will have a great advanced setup already listed for you. Did this for my Sony Bravia 46" last year, and it made a tremendous difference compaired to the factory settings.

Broncoman13
12-29-2010, 07:36 AM
Sounds like it might be something you can turn off though. Is Clouding and Soap Opera Effect the same thing?

LetsGoBroncos
12-29-2010, 07:37 AM
This is what I was referring to earlier. Soap Opera's are shot in video for budget reasons and all movies and programming starts look this way with the new LED's. Some people like it, but I find it annoying and so went with the Plasma.

I have a Sony LED 240HZ. I don't like this effect either, but you can change the automotion and cinemotion to turn it off.

Plasmas aren't as good for video games right because of burn in?

bronco militia
12-29-2010, 07:40 AM
I sent you a PM

right back at you

Drek
12-29-2010, 07:46 AM
I have a Sony LED 240HZ. I don't like this effect either, but you can change the automotion and cinemotion to turn it off.

It takes work to create burn in on any plasma from the last ~4 or 5 years. Image retention (which is temporary) can still occur if you don't take good care of your set, but is also far less frequent.

If you set a plasma to the right brightness and contrast settings, don't leave static images up for hours on end, and just generally treat it like a high end piece of electronics you paid good money for you'll never have problems with it.

Of course, even the best plasma today is a mere shadow of the holy grail of TVs, the Pioneer Kuro.

glennst
12-29-2010, 07:51 AM

I bought a 55" Samsung 6500 about 6 months ago, which is a side-lit LED model. Unless you get a full-backlit LED screen, LED is not all its cracked up to be in my opinion. The most obvious flaw you will notice is the clouding at the corners of the screen during dark scenes. This is common to all side-lit LED TVs. It is not a deal breaker, but something to be aware of.

Compared side-by-side to my old CFFL TV, the picture quality is the same, or worse if you factor in the clouding. The main selling point for LED is the form factor, longevity, and energy efficiency, not the picture. If I had it to do over again, I would have either saved the money and bought a CFFL or spent a bit more and bought a fullly backlit LED screen.

Kaylore
12-29-2010, 07:59 AM

No, this is a myth. Unless you're still playing video games from the 80's on your big screen that show the same graphics for extended periods of time, like space invaders or pong.

Burn in something you have to watch especially in the first 200 hours of owning a plasma, but once it's broken in it isn't an issue. Tickers and station logos can be a problem if you like putting your TV on one station and letting it run all day, but even then there is enough image change in the commercials to avoid image retention. The technology to combat burn in is light years ahead of when the Plasma first came out. They have an image wipe feature and pixel rotation technology that auto-shifts the screen so you don't see anything change but different pixels are lighting up new colors. It would take hours and hours of the same image over a week or more to cause burn in on the new plasmas.

Broncoman13
12-29-2010, 08:04 AM
No, this is a myth. Unless you're still playing video games from the 80's on your big screen that show the same graphics for extended periods of time, like space invaders or pong.

Burn in something you have to watch especially in the first 200 hours of owning a plasma, but once it's broken in it isn't an issue. Tickers and station logos can be a problem if you like putting your TV on one station and letting it run all day, but even then there is enough image change in the commercials to avoid image retention. The technology to combat burn in is light years ahead of when the Plasma first came out. They have an image wipe feature and pixel rotation technology that auto-shifts the screen so you don't see anything change but different pixels are lighting up new colors. It would take hours and hours of the same image over a week or more to cause burn in on the new plasmas.

I have a Plasma set that is about 5 years old. Never had a problem with the image retention or burn in either. I will say that the set is getting 'darker' or less and less bright over the past year. I think the newer sets are a lot less likely to go through the 'half life' as quickly.

I do like the fact that the LED sets are designed to last several years.

I'll have to find out if mine is backlit or (was it) side lit???

glennst
12-29-2010, 08:05 AM

The soap opera effect happens when a high refresh TV (120hz, 240hz) attempts to fill-in the missing frames when displaying a film which only runs at 24fps. The effect is less noticeable on TV broadcasts which are filmed at 60hz.

If this frame interpolation is off, the TV will just display each frame of the 24hz source 5 times to match 120hz, 10 times for 240hz. With interpolation on, the TV's internal process will try to guess what those 5 or 10 frames would have looked like had the film originally been shot in 120 or 240hz. The problem is that it is basically trying to create movie frames which were not part of the original film, so the results are hit or miss. In the case of my Samsung, I would get intermittent stuttering if enabled. I think the general recommendation is to turn this feature off.

worm
12-29-2010, 08:06 AM
Of course, even the best plasma today is a mere shadow of the holy grail of TVs, the Pioneer Kuro.

Panasonic bought the Kuro patents and everybody but the most ardent fanboys think that the flagship set in the 2011\2012 lineup will finally surpass the Kuro.

Kaylore
12-29-2010, 08:10 AM
I guess it depends on what you're getting it for. We got a blue ray in a dark room, so 1080P, movies and deep blacks with not a lot of ambient light made the Plasma our best bet.

Broncoman13
12-29-2010, 08:16 AM
Says LED Backlight Technology, LED Backlight type- Edge Light.

Broncoman13
12-29-2010, 08:20 AM
I guess it depends on what you're getting it for. We got a blue ray in a dark room, so 1080P, movies and deep blacks with not a lot of ambient light made the Plasma our best bet.

Going in the living room. Lots of light in that room. Screen glare is a bit of an issue though I don't think a LED/LCD or Plasma is going to fix that issue either way.

Bronco Yoda
12-29-2010, 08:21 AM
I wouldn't want a large LED if you have kids. Ever see one of these when hit with an object. Yikes!

I'm still sticking with Plasma while things are flying around the house :)

jhns
12-29-2010, 08:25 AM
LOL @ recommending plasma... Welcome back to the 90s! You know how you can tell that Plasma is not the way to go? Look at their prices. They almost give them away now...

Kaylore
12-29-2010, 08:31 AM
Going in the living room. Lots of light in that room. Screen glare is a bit of an issue though I don't think a LED/LCD or Plasma is going to fix that issue either way.

Glare is much, much better in LCD's. The matte finish of the display is much better than the glass veneers on the plasmas. Yoda has a good point about kids, but I don't know many kids that actually really do throw stuff at a TV. I guess it depends on your kids.

Beantown Bronco
12-29-2010, 08:36 AM
I don't know many kids that actually really do throw stuff at a TV. I guess it depends on your kids.

I'm not sure about the kids, but I do know that the 2010 Broncos caused me to think about it on more than one occasion. I'm guessing I'm not alone there either.

bronco militia
12-29-2010, 08:41 AM

same for me. I also have skylights in the room :notthissh

Rigs11
12-29-2010, 08:44 AM
I have a 46" Bravia led 120hz.Wallmounted with a slim wallmount, looks like a picture frame on the wall.It has dnla so it can access my media server for bluray movies, pictures, and music.:thumbs:

bronco militia
12-29-2010, 08:46 AM
I have a 46" Bravia led 120hz.Wallmounted with a slim wallmount, looks like a picture frame on the wall.It has dnla so it can access my media server for bluray movies, pictures, and music.:thumbs:

yeah, I was going to go with that one until the prices dropped on the 240hz/3d ready sony.

that's also an awesome TV.

Drek
12-29-2010, 08:57 AM
Panasonic bought the Kuro patents and everybody but the most ardent fanboys think that the flagship set in the 2011\2012 lineup will finally surpass the Kuro.

Panasonic licensed Pioneer's patents almost two years ago and still haven't put out a set that matches up with the 9G Kuro. Early word has it that the 2011's will finally match up but then Panasonic was beating the same drum on the 2010's which didn't come even particularly close to a late gen Kuro.

Broncoman13
12-29-2010, 08:59 AM
LOL @ recommending plasma... Welcome back to the 90s! You know how you can tell that Plasma is not the way to go? Look at their prices. They almost give them away now...

Plasmas are widely considered the better technology and consistently rate higher in reviews. The picture is great. I actually would have bought the Plasma version of the TV I just got had they been willing to work with me on the price. I ended up getting the LED version for nearly $800 less. I think they actually made a mistake. No way should I have been able to get out the door for 1/2 the marked price... with extended warranty (PSP) and 3D kit. I really planned on just getting the 1080p Sammy Plasma. No 3D or anything like that. Best Buy will usually work a deal though so I played the game and found one that they were willing to work with. Hopeful that the new technology will match up with what I am accustomed to in a Plasma set.

Broncoman13
12-29-2010, 09:01 AM
Glare is much, much better in LCD's. The matte finish of the display is much better than the glass veneers on the plasmas. Yoda has a good point about kids, but I don't know many kids that actually really do throw stuff at a TV. I guess it depends on your kids.

I will get some fingerprints but the kids don't throw things at the TV! But having said that, I'll make sure they keep the lanyards on the new PS Move. The PS Move is pretty sweet! I've been playing Disc Golf... very accurate.

Kaylore
12-29-2010, 09:38 AM
Plasmas are widely considered the better technology and consistently rate higher in reviews. The picture is great. I actually would have bought the Plasma version of the TV I just got had they been willing to work with me on the price. I ended up getting the LED version for nearly $800 less. I think they actually made a mistake. No way should I have been able to get out the door for 1/2 the marked price... with extended warranty (PSP) and 3D kit. I really planned on just getting the 1080p Sammy Plasma. No 3D or anything like that. Best Buy will usually work a deal though so I played the game and found one that they were willing to work with. Hopeful that the new technology will match up with what I am accustomed to in a Plasma set.

Yeah its pretty clear Jhiz once again has no idea what he's talking about.

Ray Finkle
12-29-2010, 09:45 AM

is it the 46EX700?

Rigs11
12-29-2010, 09:59 AM
is it the 46EX700?

The 46EX701, got it at Sam's club for $900 after taxes with a 5 year warranty!

Ray Finkle
12-29-2010, 10:22 AM

nice. I have the 700....love it.

Quoydogs
12-29-2010, 10:22 AM

Best picture out there are DLP.

Good. No frame rate problems best black to white contrast and amazing picture quality and great for gaming.

Bad. Bulky, and you have to buy a new 185 bulb every other year and picture burn.

Beantown Bronco
12-29-2010, 10:28 AM

Biggest? Yes.
Best? No way.

There's a reason you can get a 65 inch rear projection DLP unit with stand for less than $1,000 and 73 inch unit with stand for less than $1,500.

Drek
12-29-2010, 10:32 AM

Good. No frame rate problems best black to white contrast and amazing picture quality and great for gaming.

Bad. Bulky, and you have to buy a new 185 bulb every other year and picture burn.

Not even remotely close. DLP looks like a washed out mess next to a quality plasma.

Rigs11
12-29-2010, 10:38 AM

i have a dlp projector in the man cave and love it, as for tv's though i still think that CRT HDTVs offer the best picture.

jhns
12-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Yeah its pretty clear Jhiz once again has no idea what he's talking about.

LOL

Says the guy going with what was best in the 90s... Its ok. I understand that you are cheap and have a plasma. Now you act like a plasma fanboy. It is very easy to do some research and learn what you are talking about though. Plasma is not even close to as good as LCD or LED in any way. Power consumption. Picture. Life expectancy. Nothing.

jhns
12-29-2010, 10:43 AM
If you are looking into a game system, can I recommend the super nintendo?

Rigs11
12-29-2010, 10:49 AM
actually led/lcds and plasma both have their advantages/disadvantages. plasmas have better blacks and higher refresh rates,leds/lcds have better colors and consume less power.just to name a few.

jhns
12-29-2010, 11:17 AM
actually led/lcds and plasma both have their advantages/disadvantages. plasmas have better blacks and higher refresh rates,leds/lcds have better colors and consume less power.just to name a few.

No, plasma did have advantages. They do a little better with blacks, but not enough that you can tell now. Not since LED backlighting was introduced and perfected. Same with refresh rates. Not that anyone should care. People claim you need refresh rates for games but most of your console games don't even come close to the refresh rates your tv(of any kind) can handle.

I just glanced at bestbuy.com. You know what I found? They have 47 LCD tvs available. They have 33 LED tvs available. They have 24 plasma tvs available. It sure looks like the average consumer has spoken.

Quoydogs
12-29-2010, 11:37 AM
Not even remotely close. DLP looks like a washed out mess next to a quality plasma.

I have a sharp LED and a Mitsubishi DLP. The DLP blows the LED out of the water. Like I said they burn up bulbs which are expensive and are bulky but other then that hands down they have a better picture.

The reason they are dropping in price are the two reasons I listed above. It really sucks buying a new bulb every other year.

Beantown Bronco
12-29-2010, 11:40 AM
The only thing I can think of is that your settings in the LED are way off. No professional tv reviewer on the planet agrees with your analysis that a Mitsu DLP's picture would blow an LEDs out of the water.

Drek
12-29-2010, 12:09 PM
I have a sharp LED and a Mitsubishi DLP. The DLP blows the LED out of the water. Like I said they burn up bulbs which are expensive and are bulky but other then that hands down they have a better picture.

The reason they are dropping in price are the two reasons I listed above. It really sucks buying a new bulb every other year.

Great. You bought a mediocre LED that you have claibrated way the **** out of wack, a nice brand DLP that likely comes with pretty near optimal stock specs, and you likely don't have an eye that can tell the difference.

For picture quality the scale is as follows:

Pioneer Kuro >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Panasonic Plasmas > Samsung and Sony LCDs > everything else.

Simple fact of life to this point.

Fedaykin
12-29-2010, 02:44 PM
If you're going to buy an LCD TV, buying anything other than a LED lit model is a bad idea. If you can't afford the difference in price, you can't afford either type. They aren't much more expensive than a "regular" LCD and they provide a lot better picture quality.

However, you have a couple choices in LED model.

* LED backlit and
* LED sidelit

Backlit models provide better picture quality at the cost of more bulk (though still reasonable). Sidelit models provide phenomenally efficient design (in terms of thickness) at the cost of picture quality (it's a lot harder to get consistent black levels across the whole screen surface). They both provide very good picture quality -- much better than non LED-LCDs and on par with the black levels of plasma TVs.

The main qualities you'll want are:

* 1080p
* Minimum of 120Hz (especially for sports and film viewing)
* LED lit (a *must* if you are buying LCD).

Samsung makes the best "bang for the buck" LED-LCDs the last time I looked.

Fedaykin
12-29-2010, 02:56 PM

The issue with refresh rate is *not* about getting more refresh rate -- it's about getting a refresh rate on your TV that is compatible with movies. Let me explain.

Movies are filmed at 24 frames per second. In order to watch that film on a TV, it must be converted to display at the TVs refresh rate.

With a 60hz display, you have to make 24fps work at 60fps which doesn't work well because 24 does not evenly divide into 60. In order to make the conversion, you have to display some frames more than others. It's called a 2:3 pulldown (some frames are displayed twice, some are displayed 3 times). This produces a "choppy" feel to the film especially during fast motion scenes.

However, if you have a 120hz display, you don't have to play games because 24 does divide evenly into 120. To convert a 24fps film to 120hz, you just have to display each frame 5 times. This reproduces the film as intended.

Broncoman13
12-29-2010, 06:01 PM
Very interesting. I did not know that.

I did get the LED. Must be sidelit as it is less than an inch thick.

I had a plasma for the last 5 years, it was starting to go. I've been bumping the contrast and brightness up a lot lately... just isn't as bright as it once was. Going to be an amazing dsifference getting that Sammy in there!

I can use the same wall mount I hope. Its custom built and would be a royal pain in the ass to change mounts.

The issue with refresh rate is *not* about getting more refresh rate -- it's about getting a refresh rate on your TV that is compatible with movies. Let me explain.

Movies are filmed at 24 frames per second. In order to watch that film on a TV, it must be converted to display at the TVs refresh rate.

With a 60hz display, you have to make 24fps work at 60fps which doesn't work well because 24 does not evenly divide into 60. In order to make the conversion, you have to display some frames more than others. It's called a 2:3 pulldown (some frames are displayed twice, some are displayed 3 times). This produces a "choppy" feel to the film especially during fast motion scenes.

However, if you have a 120hz display, you don't have to play games because 24 does divide evenly into 120. To convert a 24fps film to 120hz, you just have to display each frame 5 times. This reproduces the film as intended.

whatsgolden
12-29-2010, 06:22 PM
Just bought the Panasonic TC-PVT20 (Best Buy's version of the PVT25) 50" Plasma. Cnet said its the best 2D picture they've reviewed. It also won a bunch of awards as the best TV of 2010. I did the research, almost went with an LED but after all was said & done, went with Plasma.

Simply put - Plasma = Rich & Warm while LED = Sharp & Bright. Both have their advantages & disadvantages.. Panasonic has all but eliminated any burn in issues & yes, they use more power but the annual additional cost is less than $50...or about $4/month.

The super thin LEDs provide a cooler aesthetic piece of furniture, but I spend more time looking at the screen than the side of the TV.

Panasonic's 3D & their Viera Cast weren't really factors in the purchase, but they certainly don't hurt. Their 3D is pretty widely regarded as the best available right now. Viera Cast is super cool because you can rent a ton of movies from Amazon without them going on your cable bill, most are $4 or $5.

Didn't buy a cheap TV, bought the one I thought produced the best picture. To be honest, I'd take the Pepsi challenge with about any other TV on the market right now as far as picture quality is concerned.

Plasma is still cutting edge technology, despite what some say who haven't properly educated themselves or done enough research.

Really, it comes down to preference. Not that there's anything wrong with the LED/LCD at all....anything worth buying right now is head & shoulders above what was available 3-5 years ago. Sony & Samsung LEDs both were hard to pass up. Bottome line is though, if you're going Plasma...Panasonic is your best bet.

Been a great purchase thus far. Also, both BB & Ultimate Electronics have them discounted significantly through the 1st.

Broncoman13
12-29-2010, 06:38 PM
Just bought the Panasonic TC-PVT20 (Best Buy's version of the PVT25) 50" Plasma. Cnet said its the best 2D picture they've reviewed. It also won a bunch of awards as the best TV of 2010. I did the research, almost went with an LED but after all was said & done, went with Plasma.

Simply put - Plasma = Rich & Warm while LED = Sharp & Bright. Both have their advantages & disadvantages.. Panasonic has all but eliminated any burn in issues & yes, they use more power but the annual additional cost is less than $50...or about $4/month.

The super thin LEDs provide a cooler aesthetic piece of furniture, but I spend more time looking at the screen than the side of the TV.

Panasonic's 3D & their Viera Cast weren't really factors in the purchase, but they certainly don't hurt. Their 3D is pretty widely regarded as the best available right now. Viera Cast is super cool because you can rent a ton of movies from Amazon without them going on your cable bill, most are $4 or $5.

Didn't buy a cheap TV, bought the one I thought produced the best picture. To be honest, I'd take the Pepsi challenge with about any other TV on the market right now as far as picture quality is concerned.

Plasma is still cutting edge technology, despite what some say who haven't properly educated themselves or done enough research.

Really, it comes down to preference. Not that there's anything wrong with the LED/LCD at all....anything worth buying right now is head & shoulders above what was available 3-5 years ago. Sony & Samsung LEDs both were hard to pass up. Bottome line is though, if you're going Plasma...Panasonic is your best bet.

Been a great purchase thus far. Also, both BB & Ultimate Electronics have them discounted significantly through the 1st.

I really liked that Panny as well... but the size that I wanted was actually quite a bit more than the Sammy. I also thought about waiting to see if Panny could finally match the Pioneer Kuro picture. That Elite set was beautiful and Panny still hasn't figured it out and really I didn't feel like waiting any longer. Plus I prefer a brighter picture but do agree that the picture on Plasmas is generally better. Just glad I got the best LCD picture out there... though CNet says Vizio has the better picture.

At least my daughter has the nicest picture, lol.

jutang
12-29-2010, 06:38 PM
Still bummed that pioneer stopped making their plasma line. The black levels on the last Kuro's got to the point where I couldn't tell if the tv was on or not.

TVs picture qualities have really improved the past 1-2yrs. Even cheaper models such as vizio have made great strides.

Broncos4tw
12-29-2010, 10:36 PM
I have a higher end 50" plasma - just gorgeous.

However, after going in and trying out the 3D TVs.. well, that is my next purchase. They were playing Avatar.. and it looked just wicked.

Doggcow
12-29-2010, 11:26 PM
I went with a Panny G25, awesome tv, amazing picture quality, and very deep blacks.

I didn't like 3D at all, the top of the line models seemed to lose tons of frames, not to mention the glasses seemed so flimsy you'd probably be spending a $300 a year upkeep on them...

Panny's G/VT lines are the closest thing to Kuro blacks that exist now, so go that way if deep blacks are your thing.

Doggcow
12-29-2010, 11:27 PM
I really liked that Panny as well... but the size that I wanted was actually quite a bit more than the Sammy. I also thought about waiting to see if Panny could finally match the Pioneer Kuro picture. That Elite set was beautiful and Panny still hasn't figured it out and really I didn't feel like waiting any longer. Plus I prefer a brighter picture but do agree that the picture on Plasmas is generally better. Just glad I got the best LCD picture out there... though CNet says Vizio has the better picture.

At least my daughter has the nicest picture, lol.

Panasonic has all of the Kuro engineers after Pioneer pulled out of the biz. Btw.

whatsgolden
12-30-2010, 06:56 AM
I went with a Panny G25, awesome tv, amazing picture quality, and very deep blacks.

I didn't like 3D at all, the top of the line models seemed to lose tons of frames, not to mention the glasses seemed so flimsy you'd probably be spending a $300 a year upkeep on them...

Panny's G/VT lines are the closest thing to Kuro blacks that exist now, so go that way if deep blacks are your thing.

Yeah - I certainly didn't buy it for 3D, but it's a nice feature to have. I'm not going to be purchasing a bunch of 3D content.... But 3D gaming sounds like it would be a damn good time.

I almost went with the G series but the sale price on the VT was too good to pass up

Broncos4tw
12-30-2010, 07:08 AM
Great. You bought a mediocre LED that you have claibrated way the **** out of wack, a nice brand DLP that likely comes with pretty near optimal stock specs, and you likely don't have an eye that can tell the difference.

For picture quality the scale is as follows:

Pioneer Kuro >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Panasonic Plasmas > Samsung and Sony LCDs > everything else.

Simple fact of life to this point.

That's what I have.. the Pioneer Kuro - it's got an amazing picture.

But after seeing the 3D TV.. well, once they crank out the technology for that over the next year or so, definitely picking it up. It's pretty astounding. Watching golf in 3D is such a different experience.

Drek
12-30-2010, 08:59 AM
Panasonic has all of the Kuro engineers after Pioneer pulled out of the biz. Btw.

Pioneer still makes TVs, they've just stopped making them for retail. They started out specializing in commercial applications (air ports and the like) and that is a big part of why their sets are almost completely bullet proof to burn in.

What you were buying with a Kuro was the technology sold in a $20,000 commercial applications set shrunk down to a 50-60" retail set and sold at near cost to generate brand name recognition to help the commercial sales.

They've licensed their patents to Panasonic but they did that almost two years ago now and Panasonic still hasn't been able to replicate the Kuro. Getting better, and supposedly the 2011's are wowing in initial testing, but they haven't shown a retail product that stands up to the Kuro yet.

That's what I have.. the Pioneer Kuro - it's got an amazing picture.

But after seeing the 3D TV.. well, once they crank out the technology for that over the next year or so, definitely picking it up. It's pretty astounding. Watching golf in 3D is such a different experience.

Save your money. Within a few years you'll be able to get better quality 3D without the need for glasses.

Broncoman13
12-30-2010, 09:10 AM
Alright, so my next question relates to connecting the TV.

I ordered three new sets of HDMI Cables from Monoprice... should get here tomorrow or Saturday. My stereo receiver does not have HDMI in/out. My Direct TV Receiver has two, an in and an out. My Blueray players has two as well. My PS3 has one, just the out.

So the question is, how do I connect the sound to the receiver. Right now, I use optical sound connections to my receiver and then Component from the receiver to the TV.

I may have to get an HDMI switch or just find a fairly inexpensive receiver with HDMI. Grrrrrr.

Rigs11
12-30-2010, 10:09 AM

I ordered three new sets of HDMI Cables from Monoprice... should get here tomorrow or Saturday. My stereo receiver does not have HDMI in/out. My Direct TV Receiver has two, an in and an out. My Blueray players has two as well. My PS3 has one, just the out.

So the question is, how do I connect the sound to the receiver. Right now, I use optical sound connections to my receiver and then Component from the receiver to the TV.

I may have to get an HDMI switch or just find a fairly inexpensive receiver with HDMI. Grrrrrr.
Your tv should have multiple hdmi inputs,plug all your components into the tv. Your tv should also have an optical out. Use that for sound to your receiver, assuming your receiver has an optical input.

Broncoman13
12-30-2010, 10:13 AM
That is what I was thinking I would do as well. Just hope that the optical cables I have are long enough to go to the TV. It's about an 8 ft run behind the wall. Won't be hard to run, but only if the cables are long enough.

I'm looking at buying a Denon AVR 790 Receiver that has the HDMI ins/out. That would make everything very easy.

The only other problem I foresee now is the length of the power cord. I had to go and buy a new power cable for my Plasma (10ft vs the 6ft it came with). Not a problem with the Plasma as the power cable is the same as that of a computer so lots of options were available. The new TV is hardwired... researching now to see how long the cable is, but I kind of doubt it will be long enough. That sucks!

Doggcow
12-30-2010, 10:24 AM
That is what I was thinking I would do as well. Just hope that the optical cables I have are long enough to go to the TV. It's about an 8 ft run behind the wall. Won't be hard to run, but only if the cables are long enough.

I'm looking at buying a Denon AVR 790 Receiver that has the HDMI ins/out. That would make everything very easy.

The only other problem I foresee now is the length of the power cord. I had to go and buy a new power cable for my Plasma (10ft vs the 6ft it came with). Not a problem with the Plasma as the power cable is the same as that of a computer so lots of options were available. The new TV is hardwired... researching now to see how long the cable is, but I kind of doubt it will be long enough. That sucks!

Yeah, probably just get an extension cord, or use a power supply (I use an APC power supply to protect all my electronics in my entertainment center).

Broncoman13
12-30-2010, 10:25 AM
Hmm, looks like it is an 8' power cord... gonna be close.

Doggcow
12-30-2010, 10:26 AM
Your tv should have multiple hdmi inputs,plug all your components into the tv. Your tv should also have an optical out. Use that for sound to your receiver, assuming your receiver has an optical input.

If you're talking receiver for audio, you don't want to be running your optical to your tv. Built in TV speakers are usually mediocre. Run the Optical from PS3/Bluray dvd player -> Receiver. I don't even have my tv speakers on.

Broncoman13
12-30-2010, 10:26 AM
Yeah, probably just get an extension cord, or use a power supply (I use an APC power supply to protect all my electronics in my entertainment center).

I have a power conditioner that I plug everything into that monitors the output. That is why I bought the longer cord in the first place. At 8' it will be close, but it may work... I hope! Otherwise I think you're right, I'll have to get a small extension cord. The 8' cord will at least make the run through the wall though, so that is a good thing.

Doggcow
12-30-2010, 10:27 AM
Hmm, looks like it is an 8' power cord... gonna be close.

A power supply should cover that, something like this http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&expIds=0&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=apc+power+supply&cp=11&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=10763699027782463465&ei=2s4cTdipIonUtQOq3MWLCg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=5&sqi=2&ved=0CE0Q8wIwBA#

Broncoman13
12-30-2010, 10:28 AM
If you're talking receiver for audio, you don't want to be running your optical to your tv. Built in TV speakers are usually mediocre. Run the Optical from PS3/Bluray dvd player -> Receiver. I don't even have my tv speakers on.

Okay, so you are saying run the HDMI outs from the components (Sat receiver, BR player, and PS3) to the TV while simultaneously running the Optical out from the same components to the receiver? I guess that would work as well... and it's already set up that way. Just wondering if the timing will sync properly.

Broncoman13
12-30-2010, 10:30 AM
A power supply should cover that, something like this http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&expIds=0&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=apc+power+supply&cp=11&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=10763699027782463465&ei=2s4cTdipIonUtQOq3MWLCg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=5&sqi=2&ved=0CE0Q8wIwBA#

This is similar to the one I have... Bought it on ebay about 5 years ago and it still works like a champ.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=Monster+Power+Conditioner&hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=3648153234992983963&ei=j88cTcnGEombnAeJxeiMDg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CGkQ8wIwBw#ps-sellers

Broncoman13
12-30-2010, 10:35 AM
Okay, Doggcow made me think of another question to ask. I've read/heard that it is important to have the HDMI cables for the 3D use and Blue Ray players to get the full effect. Is that true or will component cables do essentially the same thing?

Garcia Bronco
12-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Okay, Doggcow made me think of another question to ask. I've read/heard that it is important to have the HDMI cables for the 3D use and Blue Ray players to get the full effect. Is that true or will component cables do essentially the same thing?

The HDMI cable transfer digital data, were as the component cable is analog.

Doggcow
12-30-2010, 10:39 AM

I don't have 3D, but my guess would be that it needs to be run through HDMI rather than the components. Plus, why would you want to lose out on the quality?

It might be worth it to just invest in a new receiver that has HDMI at this point too.

Drek
12-30-2010, 10:44 AM

This.

But if you get a receiver make sure it can handle uncompressed HD audio from HDMI. A lot of receivers with HDMI in/out don't actually touch the audio stream, they're just pass through.

You want everything on HDMI if possible. Why would you consider component?

If you don't have enough cables then order more off Monoprice. If the TV doesn't have enough inputs then you have a much better reason to buy a new receiver that takes enough HDMI inputs and can output video to the TV.

Rigs11
12-30-2010, 10:49 AM
If you're talking receiver for audio, you don't want to be running your optical to your tv. Built in TV speakers are usually mediocre. Run the Optical from PS3/Bluray dvd player -> Receiver. I don't even have my tv speakers on.Why not? You can run an optical out from your tv to your receiver and still turn off your tv speakers. The optical supplies the audio signal to your receiver.

Fedaykin
12-30-2010, 11:02 AM
I don't have 3D, but my guess would be that it needs to be run through HDMI rather than the components. Plus, why would you want to lose out on the quality?

It might be worth it to just invest in a new receiver that has HDMI at this point too.

And do yourself a favor, and don't let the lying salesmen talk you in to cables that cost more than $10 -- especially for digital cables like HDMI. There is absolutely no gain to be had from more expensive cables.

Broncoman13
12-30-2010, 11:06 AM
The HDMI cable transfer digital data, were as the component cable is analog.

I think you're thinking composite... or I'm thinking composite... Whatever it is I have connected right now are transferring in digital. I think maybe I meant composite.

Broncoman13
12-30-2010, 11:13 AM
The TV has plenty of HDMI inputs (4). All of my components EXCEPT my Stereo Receiver has HDMI outs.

So the issue is more related to sound. The HDMIs carry both audio and video. But, I cannot connect the HDMIs to my receiver. So if I connect the HDMIs from my components, how do I get the sound back to my receiver so that I can have the DTS and Dolby Surround Sound? I think Doggcow has the right idea in just running the optical from my components to my receiver and the HDMIs directly from the components to the TV. That our upgrade the stereo receiver to one with HDMIs. Really only need a pass through... I think.

btw, I looked at both Bluejeancables.com AND Monoprice. Monoprice was much less expensive, so I bought three 10' HDMI (high speed) cables for about $5 a piece. So I will have plenty of HDMI cables, just gotta figure out how to configure everything! :)

Sorry for the confusion regarding component vs composite. Whatever the three cables are that are colored red, blue and green is what I am currently using from each of the components to the receiver and then one set from the receiver to the TV.

Doggcow
12-30-2010, 11:19 AM
The TV has plenty of HDMI inputs (4). All of my components EXCEPT my Stereo Receiver has HDMI outs.

So the issue is more related to sound. The HDMIs carry both audio and video. But, I cannot connect the HDMIs to my receiver. So if I connect the HDMIs from my components, how do I get the sound back to my receiver so that I can have the DTS and Dolby Surround Sound? I think Doggcow has the right idea in just running the optical from my components to my receiver and the HDMIs directly from the components to the TV. That our upgrade the stereo receiver to one with HDMIs. Really only need a pass through... I think.

btw, I looked at both Bluejeancables.com AND Monoprice. Monoprice was much less expensive, so I bought three 10' HDMI (high speed) cables for about $5 a piece. So I will have plenty of HDMI cables, just gotta figure out how to configure everything! :)

Sorry for the confusion regarding component vs composite. Whatever the three cables are that are colored red, blue and green is what I am currently using from each of the components to the receiver and then one set from the receiver to the TV.

I'd bypass the receiver for picture. I doubt there will be a lag, I've never noticed any and that's how I run mine.

Example:

3D Blu Ray Player (diverges into 2... lol)<_____-Optical____-Receiver_____ Speakers (AND THEN the other string of connections) ______-HDMI______-TV

Rigs11
12-30-2010, 11:22 AM
The hdmis will carry video/sound to your tv. Then your optical out will carry audio from your tv to your receiver. Think of the tv as acting like a switch.so if you have your cable box plugged into hdmi1 on your tv,and your bluray player plugged into hdmi 2 on your tv, you can switch between the 2 using your tv and your sound output will also change.

Broncoman13
12-30-2010, 11:24 AM
I'd bypass the receiver for picture. I doubt there will be a lag, I've never noticed any and that's how I run mine.

Example:
(Spacer ) ______-HDMI______-TV
3D Blu Ray Player (diverges into 2... lol)<_____-Optical____-Receiver_____ Speakers

Yeah, I think that's what I will end up doing unless I get that Denon Receiver. On Craigslist right now for about $300 less than the stores!

So HDMI from the components to the TV. Piece of cake and actually makes it easier to run. The TV comes with all kinds of proprietary adapters b/c of the thin design, you can't just plug regular cables into the back of it. Except for the HDMIs b/c they have such a small profile to begin with.

Then Optical from the components to the receiver (which is already configured in this way right now! nice!).

The Blue ray player has an HDMI in and an HDMI out. I may just run the PS3 to the Blue Ray player and then the Blue Ray player to the TV. That will save running one cord through the wall!

Doggcow
12-30-2010, 11:24 AM
The hdmis will carry video/sound to your tv. Then your optical out will carry audio from your tv to your receiver. Think of the tv as acting like a switch.so if you have your cable box plugged into hdmi1 on your tv,and your bluray player plugged into hdmi 2 on your tv, you can switch between the 2 using your tv and your sound output will also change.

This way would also work.

3D Player --HDMI--> TV --Optical--> Receiever --12g or whatever you run to your speakers--> Speakers

Or you could run the one HDMI to your TV from 3D Player, and then run an Optical from your 3D Player to your Receiver.

Broncoman13
12-30-2010, 11:26 AM

I thought about doing it this way as well Rigs. But I would have to run the optical through the wall. I can get the sound by going directly from the components to the receiver just the same, right?

Also, b/c I currently only have two optical cables, it would make sense to run the PS3 HDMI to the Blue Ray player (has an in and an out). That would send the sound and video to the BR Player and then I would only have to run one Optical sound out from the BR Player to the Stereo Receiver... right?

Broncoman13
12-30-2010, 11:29 AM
This way would also work.

3D Player --HDMI--> TV --Optical--> Receiever --12g or whatever you run to your speakers--> Speakers

Or you could run the one HDMI to your TV from 3D Player, and then run an Optical from your 3D Player to your Receiver.

I think that's the option I will take.

Doggcow
12-30-2010, 11:30 AM
I thought about doing it this way as well Rigs. But I would have to run the optical through the wall. I can get the sound by going directly from the components to the receiver just the same, right?

Also, b/c I currently only have two optical cables, it would make sense to run the PS3 HDMI to the Blue Ray player (has an in and an out). That would send the sound and video to the BR Player and then I would only have to run one Optical sound out from the BR Player to the Stereo Receiver... right?

Right, I think you'd need to have the bluray player on at all times for your PS3 then though.

It sounds like you're doing more stuff with your cables (through the walls) etc, so it would be hard for us to recommend the "best" option for you without seeing the setup I think. However.

HDMI - Carries BOTH video and Audio
Optical - Carries Audio
Components - Just kind of suck, considering the level of your setup, so avoid at all cost if you can!

Anything that has an input and an output you're going to need to have ON, to use your other electronics that are running through it (or the signal won't get to its destination).

You don't have to run both cables to the same place, like I was saying, you can run HDMI to TV, and Optical somewhere else and both will be carrying signals (well, depending on your settings. I know on PS3 you have to specify which audio output it goes through, but it's easy, just go to settings).

Kaylore
12-30-2010, 11:38 AM

Go with the optical. It's the best sound next to an HDMI. In fact you can use component cables for video and an optical feed on the sound and it's pretty close as good as you can get. It it just gets crazy with the cords in the back. We finally got a more current surround receiver and connected all our devices with HDMI cables into the receiver and then one HDMI into the TV. You can label the inputs on the receiver, and don't have to fiddle with TV input.

Rigs11

You can get sound from the components but they will be analog,not digital. That is why the optical is ideal in your case.another option is to buy a soundbar. I got a Sony one and it is awesome, looks great with the tv and offers multiple inputs.

Broncoman13
Right, I think you'd need to have the bluray player on at all times for your PS3 then though.

It sounds like you're doing more stuff with your cables (through the walls) etc, so it would be hard for us to recommend the "best" option for you without seeing the setup I think. However.

HDMI - Carries BOTH video and Audio
Optical - Carries Audio
Components - Just kind of suck, considering the level of your setup, so avoid at all cost if you can!

Anything that has an input and an output you're going to need to have ON, to use your other electronics that are running through it (or the signal won't get to its destination).

You don't have to run both cables to the same place, like I was saying, you can run HDMI to TV, and Optical somewhere else and both will be carrying signals (well, depending on your settings. I know on PS3 you have to specify which audio output it goes through, but it's easy, just go to settings).

I think rather than component I meant composite. Whatever the digital cables are that are colored Red, Blue, and Green. Not Red, Blue and YELLOW... Red, Blue and Green. Positive it is a digital signal, just can't remember if they're called component or composite.

Doggcow
12-30-2010, 11:40 AM
I think rather than component I meant composite. Whatever the digital cables are that are colored Red, Blue, and Green. Not Red, Blue and YELLOW... Red, Blue and Green. Positive it is a digital signal, just can't remember if they're called component or composite.

Those suck too, lol. Avoid if you can!

Broncoman13
12-30-2010, 11:43 AM
You can get sound from the components but they will be analog,not digital. That is why the optical is ideal in your case.another option is to buy a soundbar. I got a Sony one and it is awesome, looks great with the tv and offers multiple inputs.

I've always had the components connected to the stereo receiver with optical cables. I don't use the sound on the TV at all and will not in the future either. Except if I connect something like a video camera to the side input, but that can be done through the stereo as well... right now. In the future I will not be able to unless I upgrade to an HDMI receiver.

I think I have it squared away. Just have to go with trial and error on the PS3 to 3D player. Would like to work it to where I only use two optical cables.

Like Khan said though, it is nice to be able to control everything through your receiver. One input into the TV means you never have to change the input on your TV. Just allow the stereo receiver to control which HDMI output is necessary for the applied component.

My super cool dude Silver Surfer remote control will do that for me. Changes all of the inputs depending on what function I want to perform! ;D

Broncoman13
12-30-2010, 11:44 AM

Not that bad... they are way better than RCAs or S-Video!!! ;D

Rigs11
12-30-2010, 12:10 PM
You can use the tv or the receiver as your switch. Since you don't have hdmi on your receiver though, you will have to use a component and an optical for each unit if you plug Into the receiver.if you go to the tv first, then you only have to use one hdmi for each unit.

Broncoman13
12-30-2010, 12:40 PM
You can use the tv or the receiver as your switch. Since you don't have hdmi on your receiver though, you will have to use a component and an optical for each unit if you plug Into the receiver.if you go to the tv first, then you only have to use one hdmi for each unit.

Very true, but then I have to go and get an optical cable that is long enough to make the entire run. Neither of the cables I have are long enough to go the 8-10' from the TV to the receiver.

Doggcow
12-30-2010, 12:43 PM
Very true, but then I have to go and get an optical cable that is long enough to make the entire run. Neither of the cables I have are long enough to go the 8-10' from the TV to the receiver.

Lol. Your setup is crazy.

10' apart? But why?

Broncoman13
12-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Lol. Your setup is crazy.

10' apart? But why?

gotta route through the wall... TV is wall mounted, components sit in a corner.

Kaylore
12-30-2010, 01:21 PM

They are the next best thing and have a pretty close quality to HDMI. You don't see signal degradation unless it runs over several feet anyway.

And BM13, you had it right the first time. Component = RGB cables video only. Composite = RCA cables, audio and video RWY.

Doggcow
12-30-2010, 03:16 PM
They are the next best thing and have a pretty close quality to HDMI. You don't see signal degradation unless it runs over several feet anyway.

And BM13, you had it right the first time. Component = RGB cables video only. Composite = RCA cables, audio and video RWY.

Why bother with "the next best thing" when you just paid tons for "the best output."

I feel, in these scenarios and quality/price levels, if it's not first, it's last.

Rigs11
12-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Dont let the whole digital vs analog thing get you going. VGA, component, and hdmi all support high def.they just do it in different ways.hdmi excels in that it carries both Audio and video signals in one cable. Of course when it comes to Audio you definitely want digital.

Los Broncos
12-30-2010, 04:54 PM
And don't buy one of those million dollar HDMI cables, the ten to twenty dollar ones work just as good.

Drek
12-30-2010, 05:22 PM
And don't buy one of those million dollar HDMI cables, the ten to twenty dollar ones work just as good.

So do the $4 ones from Monoprice.

Ray Finkle
12-30-2010, 05:41 PM
you can usually find 2 HDMI's for about 5 bucks here:

http://www.meritline.com/

I used them in my TV running to a Onkyo Reciever and PS3 and love it.

Broncoman13
12-31-2010, 10:46 AM
Alright, the new TV is here!!!

I have to go get some new bolts though. The wall mount that I have will work, but the bolts that I have are a bit too long. The thin design only has about 1/4" worth of threads for champhor. So off to Lowes I go!

LetsGoBroncos
01-04-2011, 01:19 PM
I have a Sony Bravia 1080P 3D ready tv. When watching tv ( I have Directv ), what is better....720P or 1080I since most stuff is not broadcast in 1080P. I can set my box to either one and wasn't sure which one would be better

LetsGoBroncos
01-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Anyone? 720P or 1080I...which is better?

Broncoman13
01-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Anyone? 720P or 1080I...which is better?

720 is more natural. I just leave my TV and DTV setting at 1080p and it adjusts automatically to what is best. Usually says 720 or 1080I, but always at 60hz? Why have a 240hz TV when everything on TV is in 60hz???

Fedaykin
01-04-2011, 02:13 PM
I have a Sony Bravia 1080P 3D ready tv. When watching tv ( I have Directv ), what is better....720P or 1080I since most stuff is not broadcast in 1080P. I can set my box to either one and wasn't sure which one would be better

Progressive scan formats (the p in 1080p/720p) will provide better visual quality over interlaced (the i) formats for fast motion. If you're not watching fast motion, the 1080i will provide better quality. Either format will far surpass standard def television.

However, whatever your source resolution (720 or 1080) is should be your choice. Upscaling/downscaling is nasty business for quality.

LetsGoBroncos
01-04-2011, 02:23 PM
Progressive scan formats (the p in 1080p/720p) will provide better visual quality over interlaced (the i) formats for fast motion. If you're not watching fast motion, the 1080i will provide better quality. Either format will far surpass standard def television.

However, whatever your source resolution (720 or 1080) is should be your choice. Upscaling/downscaling is nasty business for quality.

Right, I knew the difference between progressive and interlaced. I just wasn't sure if 720P would be better than 1080I. It sounds like if I just put the setting on my Directv box to "Native" which makes it use the format the channel is broadcasting in that will give me the best picture.

Beantown Bronco
01-24-2011, 07:10 AM
Just pulled the trigger this weekend on a 55 inch Sammy 8000 and wow, I couldn't be more pleased. They're definitely getting ready for the 2011s cause they're just giving these things away now. Here's what they (Paul's TV) threw in after $800 discount on the tv itself:

Free 32 inch LG LCD tv (720p) - $350 value
Free 3D pack (includes 3D Blu Ray player, 4 sets of glasses and Shrek 3D box set) - $600 value
2 Free HDMI 1.4 high speed cables with screen cleaner and cloths
1/2 off a $450 stand
Free delivery and setup

Now, by way of context, I've been a die-hard plasma guy up until I saw this tv all set up and running in one of my friend's houses. Needless to say, it was pretty much a wasted weekend at Beantown's house. It was like watching all my favorite blu rays for the first time. And the 3D is definitely not a gimmick. Saturday night was family movie night at the Bean household and we made it through the first two Shreks and the kiddies went nuts with the 3D. Did the football games yesterday and saw zero issues. The motion was perfect and everything was crystal clear.

Now if only they would release the Avatar 3D rights to Sammy.

Broncoman13
01-24-2011, 08:47 AM
Just pulled the trigger this weekend on a 55 inch Sammy 8000 and wow, I couldn't be more pleased. They're definitely getting ready for the 2011s cause they're just giving these things away now. Here's what they (Paul's TV) threw in after $800 discount on the tv itself:

Free 32 inch LG LCD tv (720p) - $350 value
Free 3D pack (includes 3D Blu Ray player, 4 sets of glasses and Shrek 3D box set) - $600 value
2 Free HDMI 1.4 high speed cables with screen cleaner and cloths
1/2 off a $450 stand
Free delivery and setup

Now, by way of context, I've been a die-hard plasma guy up until I saw this tv all set up and running in one of my friend's houses. Needless to say, it was pretty much a wasted weekend at Beantown's house. It was like watching all my favorite blu rays for the first time. And the 3D is definitely not a gimmick. Saturday night was family movie night at the Bean household and we made it through the first two Shreks and the kiddies went nuts with the 3D. Did the football games yesterday and saw zero issues. The motion was perfect and everything was crystal clear.

Now if only they would release the Avatar 3D rights to Sammy.

Let me know what you think about the Soap Opera Effect. I have a few settings recommendations that help if you run into any issues. I got a similar deal. No stand and bought the HDMI cables through Monoprice. Very good quality! Even braided.