PDA

View Full Version : So how slow was Elway........?

Jetmeck
12-28-2010, 05:32 PM
I see Tebow is a 4.7 40 guy ? Wondered how Elway compared back in his youth ? Nice to see the defense have to respect the legs as well as the arm of our QB again. Not saying Tebow is Elway, but if Tim lines up under the guard instead of the center all bets are off..........ha

BTW anybody see that 30 yard rollout by Manning the other day ? I was shocked.

gunns
12-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Elway was fast enough to get the job done.

ColoradoDarin
12-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Thankfully in the NFL, no one has to run a straight line 40 yard dash on a track without pads.

Manning's run was hilarious, almost caught from behind by a DL too. Reminded me of Steve Bono's 76 yard TD run (http://articles.latimes.com/1995-10-02/sports/sp-52394_1_touchdown-run) against the Cards 15 years ago.

beanerbronco
12-28-2010, 05:54 PM
btw, you ever see orton trying to scape from a sack? I was impressed by how slow he is!

Quoydogs
12-28-2010, 05:55 PM
btw, you ever see orton running trying to scape from a sack? I was impressed by how slow he is!

He runs like a duck.

Atwater His Ass
12-28-2010, 06:17 PM
How fast you run in a straight line without pads on has never held much crediance with me when it comes to football.

Hear Al Davis likes it though.

Jay3
12-28-2010, 06:29 PM
Tebow's 4.7 has very little to do with his football speed. Still a respectable time for a QB, but he doesn't have straight line, overdrive speed.

But in a tight space, he's like a squirrel in a lunchbox. That's why he blew away Jahvid Best and CJ Spiller in the 3 Cone and 20 yard shuttle.

Hamrob
12-28-2010, 06:42 PM
The shuttle speed is where it's at with the QB and Tebow is a stud in that compartment!

Tebow was also timed at 4.58 at his pro day. For the record, Elway was a 4.6 guy when he came out of stanford. Elway had balarina feet and ****ing eyes in the back of his head (never seen anything like his escapability before or since)!

Hamrob
12-28-2010, 06:43 PM
Locker and Newton will be 4.4/4.5 guys this year. Which one will the Raiders take?

TDmvp
12-28-2010, 06:56 PM
Young John may have been faster than Tebow or just as fast ...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RzPd_CMHDsg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RzPd_CMHDsg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RzPd_CMHDsg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RzPd_CMHDsg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Looks pretty fast in this
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NfRsU7MxM-U?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NfRsU7MxM-U?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

42secs into this he so takes off...
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/INVpLPgtE_c?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/INVpLPgtE_c?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Pretty similar speed between them tho...

Broncoman13
12-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Raiders will take Newton if available.

Tebow's first few steps are as good as any RB in the league. He moves that 250 lb frame extremely well.

Watching Drew Brees last night, there were a few plays there that he looked Elway like with sensing and avoiding pressure. Unfortunately he followed that up with some Plummer like throws!

I watched the Broncos game again last night. The rollout play where he missed Gaff... It was a 50 yard toss of his wrong foot. When I watched it the first time I thought he weak armed it, but a 50 yard pass off the wrong foot is a hell of a toss. Timing was off on that play, and it would have been really nice to have a TE dragging the middle of the field for an easy 20 yard gain.

~Crash~
12-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Every time I see Elway host that first Lombardy I get tears in my eyes !

TDmvp
12-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Every time I see Elway host that first Lombardy I get tears in my eyes !

Pretty much ...

edit:
We could never win it again , and because we got those 2 i can die happy
and as much fun as it would be to see em win again , it would never feel like that again.

crowebomber
12-28-2010, 07:15 PM
Elway got his escapability from being a friggin matador in the pocket. Dude had the spidey sense and knew exactly when to take a half step up into the pocket or slip to the left or right.

Boobs McGee
12-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Tebow's 4.7 has very little to do with his football speed. Still a respectable time for a QB, but he doesn't have straight line, overdrive speed.

But in a tight space, he's like a squirrel in a lunchbox. That's why he blew away Jahvid Best and CJ Spiller in the 3 Cone and 20 yard shuttle.

I seem to recall an article on here somewhere that listed how he stacked up in different drills vs the rbs, dbs, and others....any idea where it is? I was just having this convo the other day with a buddy of mine, but didn't have any evidence to back up my claims.

ZONA
12-28-2010, 07:17 PM
IMO I think Tebow could run even faster but he has some flaws in his running mechanics ROFL!

Garcia Bronco
12-28-2010, 07:21 PM
Raiders will take Newton if available.

Tebow's first few steps are as good as any RB in the league. He moves that 250 lb frame extremely well.

Watching Drew Brees last night, there were a few plays there that he looked Elway like with sensing and avoiding pressure. Unfortunately he followed that up with some Plummer like throws!

I watched the Broncos game again last night. The rollout play where he missed Gaff... It was a 50 yard toss of his wrong foot. When I watched it the first time I thought he weak armed it, but a 50 yard pass off the wrong foot is a hell of a toss. Timing was off on that play, and it would have been really nice to have a TE dragging the middle of the field for an easy 20 yard gain.

Quinn was open on one, but he went to the next option. We need a TE that can give defenses match up problems. We don't have it.

Mr
12-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Its been a long time since the Broncos had an opponents D preparing for the possibilty of a running attack and it feels good. It can only get better from here. A one sided offense we shall be no more. So sayeth the Tebow.

Los Broncos
12-28-2010, 07:45 PM
He looked pretty good in the great escape, wish I could find that footage.

Bigdawg26
12-28-2010, 07:52 PM
The raiders will pick whichever QB that can throw the longest! Either mallet or newton!

HAT
12-28-2010, 08:04 PM
The raiders will pick whichever QB that can throw the longest! Either mallet or newton!

They will both be goners before the Raiders are OTC.

SpringStein
12-28-2010, 08:35 PM
They will both be goners before the Raiders are OTC.

Especially since the Pats have their #1 pick...

Quoydogs
12-28-2010, 08:38 PM
All I have to say are two things.

#1 Elway+T.D+ Ozzy = Pure Awesomeness !!!

#2 3.30 into that first video how much do you miss that ? My god man TD was a F'n STUD !

TD4HOF
12-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Elway was a one of a kind magician in the pocket. But Tebow has legit RB skills. Toby Gerhart WISHES he could be as good a RB. He WISHES.

strafen
12-28-2010, 09:04 PM
The incomparable John Elway.
One only needs to watch those videos to realize why he's the best quarterback of all times, bias aside.
The guy was simply magnificent.
Nobody did more with less than John Elway!

Man-Goblin
12-28-2010, 09:49 PM
I was at that Patriots playoff game in the last clip when I was a kid. Awesome.

And in the second to last clip, I'm surprised that Manley couldn't read that Elway was going to go left.

Likwid Kerruj
12-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Compared to Tebow, Elway was faster and more agile in his younger days, but he was always looking to pass first when on the move.

Rolling right or left, he was the best I've ever seen throwing on the run.

ZONA
12-28-2010, 10:16 PM
As odd as it may sound, you see alot of NFL QB's not throw the dump off's and screens all that well. Tebow has a good feel for those. He has enough touch on them and his placement is really good, and that's key on the screen passes. You need to not give it away, and then turn, get that soft pass to the RB in stride so he can get going. Orton was terrible at throwing the screens to the backs. He was decent at the WR screen but Tebow is showing more polish on the RB screens then Orton was.

NUB
12-29-2010, 03:08 AM
As odd as it may sound, you see alot of NFL QB's not throw the dump off's and screens all that well. Tebow has a good feel for those. He has enough touch on them and his placement is really good, and that's key on the screen passes. You need to not give it away, and then turn, get that soft pass to the RB in stride so he can get going. Orton was terrible at throwing the screens to the backs. He was decent at the WR screen but Tebow is showing more polish on the RB screens then Orton was.

Noticed this as well. He puts a real nice touch on the pass. I'm sure a lot of it comes from his days at Florida.

As for speed... Elway was more wily and nimble. I think the prime example is that Seahawks game where a defender comes rushing in and Elway ducks down and the guy ends up going over him (Elway then stood up and launched a huge bomb for a TD). Kudos to anyone who can find that clip (I do have it on VHS buried somewhere). Plummer and Cutler were more like Elway in this regard. Tebow's actually pretty damn quick for his size, but he's not gonna be snaking his way around defenders. Guy's built like a damn linebacker... He's more like Roethlisberger in that he just shakes off defenders as he moves around.

Drek
12-29-2010, 03:33 AM
I seem to recall an article on here somewhere that listed how he stacked up in different drills vs the rbs, dbs, and others....any idea where it is? I was just having this convo the other day with a buddy of mine, but didn't have any evidence to back up my claims.

It was a post I put together several months ago:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=91215&highlight=Tebow

Here are the workout numbers for seven players, lifted from CBSsports/NFL Draft Scout.

Player 40 Bench Vert 20 10 Broad Shuttle Cone

A 4.71 38 38 1/2 2.66 1.55 09'07" 4.17 6.66

B 4.34 18 32 1/2 2.50 1.48 09'05" 4.17 6.75

C 4.27 18 35 2.41 1.48 10'01" 4.18 6.86

D 4.40 19 43 2.51 1.54 10'10" 4.23 6.80

E 4.42 17 35 2.50 1.51 10'00" 4.34 7.12

F 4.52 18 35 2.56 1.53 10'05" 4.34 6.94

G 4.37 19 36 2.50 1.49 10'01" 4.33 7.00

Now I've been pretty outspoken in thinking that 40 times are a massively overrated stat for everyone but WRs and CBs, because they're the only guys who ever actually run anything close to that distance in a straight line. Compare these guys other stats like vertical (how explosive he is from a standing position), 10 yard dash (short range speed), 20 yard dash (intermediate speed), 20 yard shuttle (acceleration) and 3 cone (agility).

FYI, here's who is listed up there.

A. Tebow
B. Best
C. Spiller
D. Berry
E. Tate
F. Haden
G. Matthews

PS. I personally have a hard time believing Tebow put up 38 bench reps at 225 myself, but that is what CBS/NFL Draft Scout list him as having done at his pro day. Maybe its an error, but they got the rest of his pro day line right.

The 38 bench reps is HIGHLY questionable, FYI, he did the same number at 185 coming out of high school. Its likely someone at CBS/NFL Draft Scout messed up and used that number instead.

Quoydogs
12-29-2010, 09:55 AM
It was a post I put together several months ago:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=91215&highlight=Tebow

The 38 bench reps is HIGHLY questionable, FYI, he did the same number at 185 coming out of high school. Its likely someone at CBS/NFL Draft Scout messed up and used that number instead.

Ya I don't know about 38 holy crap that's a ton. Maybe though, his arms are freakin huge.

I was more impressed with his Vert. Over 3 feet and plays the QB position.? I guess we know who will be jumping over the line on goal line snaps this year.

Mile High Shack
12-29-2010, 09:59 AM
Elway didn't have an ACL either :D

bronco militia
12-29-2010, 10:00 AM
I was at that Patriots playoff game in the last clip when I was a kid. Awesome.

And in the second to last clip, I'm surprised that Manley couldn't read that Elway was going to go left.

Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!

Smiling Assassin27
12-29-2010, 10:05 AM
IMO I think Tebow could run even faster but he has some flaws in his running mechanics ROFL!

see, had you used 'elongated' or 'hitch in his giddyup', you'd have sold me...

Boobs McGee
12-29-2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks drek, much appreciated