PDA

View Full Version : Studesville

lostknight
12-28-2010, 08:19 AM
You know, watching how Studesville has been running this team, I still will not be entirely shocked if he ends up getting the long term nod at HC. He's improved every week - just like Tebow - and would be in a position to leave the parts of the team that are working (offense) in place, while replacing the parts that are not - defense. What's more, I think he has a mentality that fits more with Denver. Pound it out on the ground, and make some big plays in the air.

We could do far worse. (We can also do better, I admit).

rbackfactory80
12-28-2010, 08:23 AM
I actually agree. Everyone gets their shot at some point. A solid showing this week and who knows what will happen.

Binkythefrog
12-28-2010, 08:31 AM
I actually agree. Everyone gets their shot at some point. A solid showing this week and who knows what will happen.

The next head coach doesn't need to have a huge name.

The Steelers and the Falcons went with relatively unknowns (Tomlin and Mike Smith) and both have been very successful.

In some ways, having a head coach who hasn't proved anything could be an advantage. As we all know from McDaniels, it wasn't the football knowledge but rather the team management aspects of being a coach that got him fired.

If Studesville knows how to handle players well, gets the players to play hard and has the respect of his assistant coaches, I think the Broncos can go with some bigger name coordinators but leave the overall leadership to Studesville.

ColoradoDarin
12-28-2010, 08:46 AM
You know, watching how Studesville has been running this team, I still will not be entirely shocked if he ends up getting the long term nod at HC. He's improved every week - just like Tebow - and would be in a position to leave the parts of the team that are working (offense) in place, while replacing the parts that are not - defense. What's more, I think he has a mentality that fits more with Denver. Pound it out on the ground, and make some big plays in the air.

Whoa, I completely agree. We'll see how he does this week.

Gcver2ver3
12-28-2010, 08:50 AM
What's more, I think he has a mentality that fits more with Denver. Pound it out on the ground, and make some big plays in the air.

is that more a product of McCoy, or is this all Studesville?...

illbroncsfn
12-28-2010, 08:53 AM
No- not going to happen.

Studesville has done a nice job as the interim HC, but he will not have the interim tag removed.

crush17
12-28-2010, 09:09 AM
Been thinking this exact same thing over the past couple of days, especially after watching the locker room post game footage on DB.com.

The players seem to like the guy a lot, and so far he's carried himself extremely well.

I'm not saying I want him as the long term answer, but I wouldn't be shocked if he got the job in a move to promote continuity on this team.

We'll see.

supermanhr9
12-28-2010, 09:09 AM
Scary, but I kind of agree with this mentality as well. I gues he gave one hell of a "WTF" halftime speech.

If he beats the Chargers this weekend, he'll have my full support (I'll consider if he comes close).

2KBack
12-28-2010, 09:13 AM
is that more a product of McCoy, or is this all Studesville?...

Well, Studesville had a playsheet in his hands this week. I don't recall him being involved at all with playcalling the previous weeks. We might have decided to stick his nose in it seeing as how terrible it had been.

schaaf
12-28-2010, 09:15 AM
Were you guys kinda impressed with McCoy this weekend??

The first half he started out with some easy screen passes to help Tim. I think he tried to many and eventually got jabar about killed.. but it seemed like in the second half he came out and called a pretty good offensive game. He unleashed Tebow a bit there in the second half and he really excelled in it.

What are your guys thoughts about McCoy last week?

Gcver2ver3
12-28-2010, 09:38 AM
Were you guys kinda impressed with McCoy this weekend??

The first half he started out with some easy screen passes to help Tim. I think he tried to many and eventually got jabar about killed.. but it seemed like in the second half he came out and called a pretty good offensive game. He unleashed Tebow a bit there in the second half and he really excelled in it.

What are your guys thoughts about McCoy last week?

i was very impressed with mccoy...

but i don't know how much of that gameplan was mccoy and how much was studesville...

Rascal
12-28-2010, 09:39 AM
Put down the kool-aid.

Gcver2ver3
12-28-2010, 09:40 AM
Well, Studesville had a playsheet in his hands this week. I don't recall him being involved at all with playcalling the previous weeks. We might have decided to stick his nose in it seeing as how terrible it had been.

well thats encouraging....

but i don't know which coach is most responsible for the playcalling...

if it was McCoy, and depending on how well it goes against SD....i wouldnt be too upset with him being HC next year if we can't nab one of the big name proven guys...

lostknight
12-28-2010, 09:54 AM
I think I echo this - if Studesville and McCoy win this weekend, I definitly would be in favor of keeping them around, especially if they can get Wade (like Woody postulated) as a DC.

Pick Six
12-28-2010, 09:54 AM
I, too, was very excited about Tebow and the comeback. However, we must understand that the Texans are notorious chokers in the second half. They are not a good team. We'll see what happens with San Diego...

Kaylore
12-28-2010, 10:07 AM
I, too, was very excited about Tebow and the comeback. However, we must understand that the Texans are notorious chokers in the second half. They are not a good team. We'll see what happens with San Diego...

I hope we play great and lose on a freak play. I'll be happy if we win, thrilled actually, but the best thing for this franchise long term is to lose the next game in a squeaker and get the second overall pick. Remember that the trickle down effect would mean us having a top three pick in subsequent rounds and even the first pick in maybe round three or four.

chawknz
12-28-2010, 10:11 AM
I wish this all happened earlier in the season. There are so many questions that need answering. Need 2-3 MORE games to see what we have.

theAPAOps5
12-28-2010, 10:27 AM

Actually they are notorious chokers in the first half and then do late game rallies and come up just short or eek out a win.

It was the opposite for them this last Sunday.

schaaf
12-28-2010, 10:37 AM
I don't know about you guys but when we got the ball with about 7 minutes left i just knew that we were scoring on that drive i haven't felt that confidence in a long time

crush17
12-28-2010, 10:55 AM
I don't know about you guys but when we got the ball with about 7 minutes left i just knew that we were scoring on that drive i haven't felt that confidence in a long time

Same here. It was a good feeling, and I want more of it.

Gcver2ver3
12-28-2010, 10:59 AM
I think I echo this - if Studesville and McCoy win this weekend, I definitly would be in favor of keeping them around, especially if they can get Wade (like Woody postulated) as a DC.

this...

bowtown
12-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Yeesh this place is hilarious. One big win and this board is ready to head into next year with our entire roster and staff. When we lose to the chargers next week, it will be back to the regularly scheduled witch hunts.

JJG
12-28-2010, 11:04 AM
I hope we play great and lose on a freak play. I'll be happy if we win, thrilled actually, but the best thing for this franchise long term is to lose the next game in a squeaker and get the second overall pick. Remember that the trickle down effect would mean us having a top three pick in subsequent rounds and even the first pick in maybe round three or four.

Im confused...

vercingetorix
12-28-2010, 11:05 AM

I really like how he has handled himself in a difficult situation but I would be disappointed if he were to be the head coach. I think representing himself well has opened up other opportunities that, perhaps, did not exist, but head coach is a little extreme.

IHaveALight
12-28-2010, 11:20 AM
If he can get a win against the Chargers next week, I would think the team would have to consider keeping him on.

Gort
12-28-2010, 11:42 AM

that's crazy talk. as in batsh*t crazy like al davis.

studesville has not done a good job as interim HC. he's in over his head. the gameplanning for his first 2 games was atrocious. and the first half gameplan for the HOU game was awful. it wasn't until they took the leash of Tebow that the Broncos came to life. studesville needs to work his way up from RB coach to OC and have success there before he is in any way ready to be HC or asst. HC. he just doesn't have enough knowledge to draw upon yet. he's not ready.

if the Broncos gave him the HC job, this franchise would rightfully be viewed as even more dysfunctional than the Raiders at their nadir.

Likwid Kerruj
12-28-2010, 11:48 AM
They could do worse and better than Studesville.

Most if not all the assistants have to go.

McCoy and Priefer better spend halftime packing their bags on Sunday.

JJG
12-28-2010, 12:15 PM
that's crazy talk. as in batsh*t crazy like al davis.

studesville has not done a good job as interim HC. he's in over his head. the gameplanning for his first 2 games was atrocious. and the first half gameplan for the HOU game was awful. it wasn't until they took the leash of Tebow that the Broncos came to life. studesville needs to work his way up from RB coach to OC and have success there before he is in any way ready to be HC or asst. HC. he just doesn't have enough knowledge to draw upon yet. he's not ready.

if the Broncos gave him the HC job, this franchise would rightfully be viewed as even more dysfunctional than the Raiders at their nadir.

I am NOT advocating to keep him either but he's better than I thought. I agree the gameplaning has been uninspiring, due to many factors, but it has gotten better every week. There is a learing curve involved here as well.

The great thing is he knows he's no qualified as a HC and is willing to lean on the other coaches. The problem is the other coaches have very little experience themselves.

Gort
12-28-2010, 12:22 PM
The great thing is he knows he's no qualified as a HC and is willing to lean on the other coaches. The problem is the other coaches have very little experience themselves.

coincidentally, there's an expression for that.

"the blind leading the blind."

bronco0608
12-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Didn't raheem morris go from DB coach to head coach? something like that

bronco0608
12-28-2010, 12:42 PM
I just thought it was very telling that the players really like this dude:

1) They dropped gatorade on him after the victory

2) And lockerroom was going nuts for him after he received the game ball

Say what you want, you work hard for guys you like.

Jesterhole
12-28-2010, 12:43 PM
I think part of the reason Studs was given this job so that the Broncos can fulfill their obligation to interview a minority head coach by talking with him at seasons end. Kind of cynical, I know, but look at what is happening with Ray Sherman in Dallas. Owners hate the rule...

Nothing against Studs, but I don't think he has the resume yet to be head coach. Would like to see him stay in some role though, I have nothing but respect for how he has conducted himself in a very tough situation.

colonelbeef
12-28-2010, 12:48 PM
No way. Studesville is not a HC.

JJG
12-28-2010, 12:53 PM
The "blind" managed to win a game against a non blind opponent last weekend

I see it more as on the job training but whatever

Gort
12-28-2010, 01:01 PM
The "blind" managed to win a game against a non blind opponent last weekend

I see it more as on the job training but whatever

i'm not "hating" on Studes (is that the way kids say it these days?), just pointing out that the collection of coaches McD assembled for 2010 is not yet ready for primetime. they are lucky they didn't have to come up with a game against for NE, or Indy, or NO, or ATL, or PHI.

Dedhed
12-28-2010, 01:21 PM
I just thought it was very telling that the players really like this dude:

1) They dropped gatorade on him after the victory

2) And lockerroom was going nuts for him after he received the game ball

Say what you want, you work hard for guys you like.

True, but that's only one aspect of coaching, and although Studesville may be well liked in the locker room, he's over his head in pretty much every other area.

Zoobie
12-28-2010, 01:26 PM
The next head coach doesn't need to have a huge name.

The Steelers and the Falcons went with relatively unknowns (Tomlin and Mike Smith) and both have been very successful.

In some ways, having a head coach who hasn't proved anything could be an advantage. As we all know from McDaniels, it wasn't the football knowledge but rather the team management aspects of being a coach that got him fired.

If Studesville knows how to handle players well, gets the players to play hard and has the respect of his assistant coaches, I think the Broncos can go with some bigger name coordinators but leave the overall leadership to Studesville.

I agree with what you're saying, but Mike Smith was by no means an unknown. He was coveted by many organizations around the league after the long tenure he had as the Jaguars defensive coordinator.

go_broncos
12-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Studes option is better than 'THE SOLUTION'.

NYBronco
12-28-2010, 02:03 PM

I agree and I would also like to see Martindale stay as the DC.