PDA

View Full Version : Are we in danger of missing out on a good coach? 12 possible vacancies in the NFL?

Dagmar
12-28-2010, 07:13 AM
The day after the last week of NFL games is usually called Black Monday because it is the day when the axe falls on coaches in the NFL. In addition to the four in season firings, we believe there could be another 8 openings next week.

Here is the rundown on which teams may have openings:
http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/13694/12-possible-head-coaching-vacancies-in-the-NFL/Default.aspx

Panthers, Dolphins, Texans, Titans, Bengals, Browns, Giants, Raiders possibles, while the Cowboys, 49ers & Vikings fired theirs in season.

I think we are looking at at least 8 head coaching jobs up for grabs, are we in danger of missing out on a great head coach?

Mile High Shack
12-28-2010, 07:16 AM
I don't understand why we would be in danger of missing out.....other teams have to go through the same process we do.

TonyR
12-28-2010, 07:18 AM
I bet they already have a good idea who they're going to hire, or at least try to hire. And I bet Elway is confident he'll get whoever that is. Harbaugh or Kubiak?

colonelbeef
12-28-2010, 07:19 AM
I don't understand why we would be in danger of missing out.....other teams have to go through the same process we do.

because it's implied that a few of those jobs might be more enticing than the Denver job currently is.

Giants and Cowboys to name a few.

rbackfactory80
12-28-2010, 07:19 AM
Absolutely. If you were a great head coach what would be your reasoning behind picking a team? Would you go to a franchise that has a horrible recent history such as Houston, the Panthers, or the 9ers or want to go to a team like Cowboys, Giants, Vikings who have been more successful as of late? Coaches need to put themselves in the best position to succeed.

ColoradoDarin
12-28-2010, 07:20 AM
Aren't we ahead of the game with Studes? All the other teams have to bring in a minority candidate to interview for the Rooney Rule and we just have to walk down the hall.

ColoradoDarin
12-28-2010, 07:22 AM
Also, I do believe Garrett and Frazier keep their jobs, so Minny won't be looking and that leaves the Giants as the only 'marque' franchise. And the Giants will hopefully go with Cowher. Which is great since I don't want him.

colonelbeef
12-28-2010, 07:26 AM
Aren't we ahead of the game with Studes? All the other teams have to bring in a minority candidate to interview for the Rooney Rule and we just have to walk down the hall.

lol, so the race starts the the Broncos are already at the 10 yard hashmark

TonyR
12-28-2010, 07:27 AM
Also, I do believe Garrett and Frazier keep their jobs, so Minny won't be looking and that leaves the Giants as the only 'marque' franchise. And the Giants will hopefully go with Cowher. Which is great since I don't want him.

Yup, very possible. Even if the Cowboys job does open up it's not as popular as some believe because most people don't want to deal with Jones. Elway has strong connections to both Harbaugh and Kubiak so if they want one of those guys there's a strong chance they'll get him.

Tombstone RJ
12-28-2010, 07:31 AM
http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/13694/12-possible-head-coaching-vacancies-in-the-NFL/Default.aspx

Panthers, Dolphins, Texans, Titans, Bengals, Browns, Giants, Raiders possibles, while the Cowboys, 49ers & Vikings fired theirs in season.

I think we are looking at at least 8 head coaching jobs up for grabs, are we in danger of missing out on a great head coach?

Its a 1-1 replacement. If the Panthers fire Fox then the Broncos can hire Fox, or Fischer or Coughlin, any of those coaches would be fantastic for the Broncos.

Mile High Shack
12-28-2010, 07:34 AM
http://i2.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/590/draft_lens2778362module16768322photo_1235093847pan ic.jpg

NFLBRONCO
12-28-2010, 07:44 AM
Everybody thinks Dallas is a top job. What top HC would want to work with Jerry? This is why Wade and Garrett types get hired only.

Kaylore
12-28-2010, 07:49 AM
No, we're not because we've been looking longer than everyone else. Bowlen hires coaches pretty quickly.

jhns
12-28-2010, 08:03 AM
People won't be looking forward to cleaning up McDaniels mess. That being said, we will still get who we want. We are probably going to give the head coach a ton of power again and that will make this job look better to the potential coaches than their other options. We also have an owner that will pay the head coach a lot. We also have Tebow. I don't see us having a problem getting who we want.

TheReverend
12-28-2010, 08:09 AM
We're in danger of missing out on a good coach but it has nothing to do with vacancies in the league or the attractiveness of the organization.

Rohirrim
12-28-2010, 08:16 AM
Elway has been on the sidelines at Palo Alto a few times this season. If it's going to be Harbaugh, a gentleman's agreement probably already exists and there's no need to worry about what anybody else is doing. And if that's the case, we'll probably hear about it on Jan. 4th, the day after Stanford kicks the crap out of the Hokies in the Orange Bowl.

TheReverend
12-28-2010, 08:22 AM
Elway has been on the sidelines at Palo Alto a few times this season. If it's going to be Harbaugh, a gentleman's agreement probably already exists and there's no need to worry about what anybody else is doing. And if that's the case, we'll probably hear about it on Jan. 4th, the day after Stanford kicks the crap out of the Hokies in the Orange Bowl.

Gentelmen's agreements don't come with a price tag.

Homer Simpson
12-28-2010, 08:26 AM
We're in danger of missing out on a good coach but it has nothing to do with vacancies in the league or the attractiveness of the organization.

What does it have to do with? I think we become very attractive, especially if Tebow beats SD on Sunday, suddenly the fan base is invigorated for next season and we have the attention of the national media.

colonelbeef
12-28-2010, 08:27 AM
What does it have to do with? I think we become very attractive, especially if Tebow beats SD on Sunday, suddenly the fan base is invigorated for next season and we have the attention of the national media.

Still not more so than NYG or DAL. Miami is probably right there, despite the lack of a QB.

Broncoman13
12-28-2010, 08:37 AM
Absolutely. If you were a great head coach what would be your reasoning behind picking a team? Would you go to a franchise that has a horrible recent history such as Houston, the Panthers, or the 9ers or want to go to a team like Cowboys, Giants, Vikings who have been more successful as of late? Coaches need to put themselves in the best position to succeed.

I'd put them in this order:

1- Houston (Strong QB, RB, and franchise players in AJ, Williams, and Ryans)
2- Giants (Strong in the trenches, young receivers, franchise QB)
3- Cowboys (Build a secondary and you have a strong defense. Good skill position players, franchise QB... have to work with Jerry Jones though)
4- Vikings (Aging DL, need a QB. AD has 4 or 5 productive seasons left.)
5- Broncos (Defense is a mess. OL is decent, need a lot of pieces all over the team though.)
6- Niners (Similar to the Broncos in the talent department)
7- Panthers (Weak all over. This team will be drafting high for the next three years).

Rulon Velvet Jones
12-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Still not more so than NYG or DAL. Miami is probably right there, despite the lack of a QB.

I don't think Coughlin goes. And as someone else noted, who wants to be Jerry Jones' puppet in Dallas? A strong head coach clashes with Jerry. Bill Parcells, even with his modicum of success in Dallas, couldn't work alongside that man. Guys like Coughlin and Gruden want too much and Jerry won't give it away. Even Fisher might be too strong for Jones. John Fox, maybe. Garrett, of course. Jerry needs to be able to pull all the strings. He is, of course, the owner AND GM so he gets to pick the players for the new coach. Look how well that's worked as of late.

Rascal
12-28-2010, 08:41 AM
No.

HAT
12-28-2010, 08:45 AM
What does it have to do with? .

I assume he means Bowlen.....And I tend to agree.

Crushaholic
12-28-2010, 08:46 AM
I really don't think that job openings will exist in either NY or Dallas. I know I don't live in New York, and don't have to listen to the New York media. However, I believe that a switch will only be made if they already have a big hire in mind. The Giants aren't that bad of a team...

HAT
12-28-2010, 08:48 AM

3- Cowboys (Build a secondary and you have a strong defense. Good skill position players, franchise QB... have to work with Jerry Jones though)
5- Broncos (Defense is a mess. OL is decent, need a lot of pieces all over the team though.)
7- Panthers (Weak all over. This team will be drafting high for the next three years).

If I were a HC...I put Denver dead last on the list, by a long way. But not because of any talent or quality of life issues. Because the owner has shown he is willing to fire you 28 games in.

Broncoman13
12-28-2010, 08:50 AM
I really don't think that job openings will exist in either NY or Dallas. I know I don't live in New York, and don't have to listen to the New York media. However, I believe that a switch will only be made if they already have a big hire in mind. The Giants aren't that bad of a team...

They will bring Cowher in.

The real question is where will Jeff Fisher end up? I like his thought process of always having a strong and consistent DL. He generally handles players pretty well too, the one exception being VY who was kind of pushed on to him b/c Bud Adams had a woody for the Houston product and wanted to stick it to his old city.

Rulon Velvet Jones
12-28-2010, 08:54 AM
If I were a HC...I put Denver dead last on the list, by a long way. But not because of any talent or quality of life issues. Because the owner has shown he is willing to fire you 28 games in.

Or, on the flipside, give you the chance to go .500 for as long as you'd want after you win a couple Super Bowls for us.

HAT
12-28-2010, 08:56 AM
Or, on the flipside, give you the chance to go .500 for as long as you'd want after you win a couple Super Bowls for us.

Sure....Just win the SB in your only full season and you are 'coach for life'. :strong:

TonyR
12-28-2010, 09:07 AM

I understand what you're saying but I don't think most guys would look at it that way. The McD situation was muddled by a lot of factors, most notably the video tape issue, and I think people understand that. Most HC candidates are going to be confident enough in their abilities to move the franchise in the right direction and keep their jobs because of it. And if they aren't we don't want them!

serious hops
12-28-2010, 09:12 AM
I'm more concerned that we won't pick the "correct" candidates to start with than I am concerned that we won't be able to hire who we want.

HILife
12-28-2010, 09:17 AM

Panthers (yes), Dolphins (yes), Texans (yes), Titans (probably not), Bengals(maybe), Browns (maybe), Giants (I don't even know why this is on the list. Superbowl win?), Raiders (Why is this on the list?) possibles, while the Cowboys, 49ers & Vikings fired theirs in season.

there you go.

Drek
12-28-2010, 09:18 AM
If Jeff Fisher gets the axe in Tennessee over the Vince Young ordeal we should bring him in here ASAP.

peacepipe
12-28-2010, 09:20 AM

he's also shown that if your a good coach you'll be a HC for a decade+. every HC out there knows McD did it to himself.

Hamrob
12-28-2010, 10:23 AM
If I were a HC...I put Denver dead last on the list, by a long way. But not because of any talent or quality of life issues. Because the owner has shown he is willing to fire you 28 games in.I think most HC's in the NFL have looked at the Denver situation and wondered why in the hell...that owner...would give a kid coach 28 games to blow up his franchise.

How many coaches worth a **** would have traded Cutler, Marshall, Scheffler, Hillis and given a #1 for Smith and a #2 for Quinn? That many ****ups generally take a 10yr career to achieve.

No, I don't think coaching prospects will be leary of Pat Bowlen or the Denver Broncos one iota.

Gort
12-28-2010, 10:55 AM
The Giants aren't that bad of a team...

they're 9-6 and could still get the WC with another win.

yet, this is viewed as evidence that the HC will be fired? who in the world would want to work in an environment like that?

Gort
12-28-2010, 10:57 AM
If Jeff Fisher gets the axe in Tennessee over the Vince Young ordeal we should bring him in here ASAP.

no way. Fisher has lots of baggage. running a dirty team is only part of it. he's also the guy who set the trainwreck in motion that was the Cutler/Broncos era.

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
12-28-2010, 11:02 AM

It's not as egregious as you make it out to be.

The Vikings fired their head coach 10 games after the NFC Championship Game.

Dallas won a playoff game in January and Wade Phillips was fired eight games in.

It's a what have you done for me lately league.

Vegas_Bronco
12-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Everyone seems to be.ignoring the fact that there may not be a coach at all next year...cba will decide.

cmhargrove
12-28-2010, 11:10 AM
no way. Fisher has lots of baggage. running a dirty team is only part of it. he's also the guy who set the trainwreck in motion that was the Cutler/Broncos era.

"set in motion the Cutler/broncos era?". For real?

I'll take any coach that has a consistently strong defense, and puts a priority on a strong running game first. I don't know that Fisher is the answer, but he would be a very solid HC.

gunns
12-28-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm more concerned that we won't pick the "correct" candidates to start with than I am concerned that we won't be able to hire who we want.

Agreed, like ending up with Kubiak. Wade Phillips part II.

TonyR
12-28-2010, 11:51 AM
they're 9-6 and could still get the WC with another win.

yet, this is viewed as evidence that the HC will be fired? who in the world would want to work in an environment like that?

They've been pondering getting rid of him for a while but he keeps holding on. He was a big time lame duck heading into 2007 but when that team won the Super Bowl obviously he saved his job. Now this year things were looking great until they really botched that game against Eagles, where they had a 31-10 lead in the 4th qtr and lost, and the calls for his head are now stronger than ever.

peacepipe
12-28-2010, 12:13 PM

That was McD,last I checked he's doing pretty damn good in chicago.

peacepipe
12-28-2010, 12:14 PM
coughlin,fisher would both be bad hires.

Pony Boy
12-28-2010, 12:29 PM
I bet they already have a good idea who they're going to hire, or at least try to hire. And I bet Elway is confident he'll get whoever that is. Harbaugh or Kubiak?

Jim Harbaugh and Andrew Luck will be a Package Deal if he comes out and we aren't in the position to make that happen.

TonyR
12-28-2010, 12:31 PM
Jim Harbaugh and Andrew Luck will be a Package Deal if he comes out...

LOL So you really think Harbaugh is going to limit his opportunities to teams that have a chance at Luck? Ridiculous.

Pony Boy
12-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Everyone seems to be.ignoring the fact that there may not be a coach at all next year...cba will decide.

My fear is this thing will be settled in August and we will have a new coach and three weeks to prepare for the season. Teams with established HC's will have a huge advantage.

Pony Boy
12-28-2010, 12:38 PM
LOL So you really think Harbaugh is going to limit his opportunities to teams that have a chance at Luck? Ridiculous.

Yes, I think Harbaugh would love to go where Luck goes and if it's this year it's most likely to the Panthers. The Panthers would pay Harbaugh a king’s ransom to make that happen.

Dedhed
12-28-2010, 01:10 PM

I'd rearrange that a bit:

1-Houston- Agree on most points, and would use this as evidence against Kubes.

2-Giants- Again, I agree on most points, although the New York scene can work for or against the Giants depending on the candidate.

3-Broncos-I move the Broncos here because of Tebow, although I think he's a similar entity to New York city. The Niners, Panthers, and Vikings have no QB prospects unless you count the #1 overall draft pick. There are going to be a few coaches who are in love with the idea of working with Tebow, and there are going to be guys who aren't. Overall, I think the Broncos have a fair amount of immature talent, and have an exciting draft position.

4-Niners-Similar to the Broncos without the draw of a Tebow. Anywhere in California that doesn't involve Al Davis is going to be a prime spot.

5-Dallas- I don't think there are many guys who are really excited about the prospect of working under Jerry Jones, but he'll spend money for talent.

6-Vikings- I think the Vikings are a franchise on the downward slide. They went all in with Favre a couple of years ago, and now have a long way to go down before they rebound. And who wants to live in Minnesota?

7-Panthers-I don't see anything attractive about the Panthers job other than the #1 overall selection, but that comes with added pressure. It's a brutally untalented team in a terrible football state.

TonyR
12-28-2010, 01:13 PM
...I think Harbaugh would love to go where Luck goes...

That I agree with, but I don't think Harbaugh is going to limit his options with the Luck factor. As with anybody else it's going to be situation and money.

Rohirrim
12-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Harbaugh finished his QB career at Carolina, so it's not like he doesn't know the environs.

gyldenlove
12-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Carolina, Denver, Minnesota, Dallas and San Fransisco for sure. I would say probably on Houston, maybe on Miami and the rest I don't see firing their coaches.

As for those teams, I would rate the Dallas job highly because of money and team talent.

Minnesota is not a great job, they are on a lean budget with uncertainty about their future and a leaky roof, they don't have a QB, their defense is aging faster than someone who in the words of the Grail Knight from the Last Crusade "chose poorly". They are also in a division with an up and coming Detroit team, a pretty decent Green Bay team and a decent Chicago team.

San Fransisco is not a great job either, as we saw with Singletary they want results now, and the coffers are not very deep.

Carolina may be the worst coaching position in the league right now, they are awful, they have almost no star power left except at RB and WR, and they may let their best RB walk this offseason. No money, no talent and maybe the toughest division in the league.

Houston is decent, pretty good talent except trenches and secondary and not a difficult division, but you need to get playoffs within 2 years to keep that job, they will not accept a rebuilding.

Miami is tough to gauge, large owner group, so not sure about the money, in a difficult division to create results in, some talent but not enough to warrant playoff expectations, which may be the expectation from owners and fans.

Denver is decent because the owner is very hands off, the coach will be allowed to do pretty much anything, money is decent, we are not straddled with a lot of big contracts for players we can't get rid off. Right now the only players that are not tradable are Kuper, Clady and Dumervil.

I would rank the positions as such:

1. Dallas
2. San Fransisco
3. Denver
4. Houston
5. Minnesota
6. Miami
7. Carolina

peacepipe
12-28-2010, 01:41 PM
LOL So you really think Harbaugh is going to limit his opportunities to teams that have a chance at Luck? Ridiculous.Jim harbough will have the luxury of picking where he goes,such as his former alma mater Michigan.