PDA

View Full Version : Strange tales from the Broncos Front Office

lostknight
12-28-2010, 07:50 AM
I just read Klis's mailbag column. Woody reported a few weeks ago that things were nowhere near as smooth as Josh and Kyle presented in the media, that josh was seriously pissed that Orton wasn't engaged with his receivers. Later it was reported that Kyle was "furious" when the team traded for Quinn, and livid about Tebow.

Woody reported that Josh was actively trying to trade Kyle, but was talked out of it by someone - source unknown - at Broncos HQ. Klis repeated that claim this morning in the mailbag, asserting it was for a second.

Another interesting thing coming out from Vic and Gary yesterday is that they stated flat out that McDaniels acknowledged that the Hillis trade was poor, but it makes more sense in the context of McDaniels trying to get rid of Orton.

Now that McDaniels is gone, all sorts of crazy stories - like this - and like the trading without Xanders knowledge.

What a strange journey.

tsiguy96
12-28-2010, 07:56 AM
link?

lostknight
12-28-2010, 08:02 AM
www.denverpost.com ;-)

Kaylore
How does trading Hillis make more sense in the context of Orton?

supermanhr9
weird

lostknight
12-28-2010, 08:03 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncosmailbag/ci_16953021

lostknight
12-28-2010, 08:03 AM

If McDaniels was truly planning on ditching Orton into the sea, spending Hillis and a few draft picks makes a bit more sense.

tsiguy96
12-28-2010, 08:05 AM
youre misquoting klis. josh sent out feelers about orton for a 2nd round pick, wasnt going to every team trying to unload him as fast as he could. small difference, but still a difference.

kinda silly if he actually did that.

TonyR
12-28-2010, 08:08 AM
From reading this I'm becoming more and more convinced that we already have our GM in place.

Que
12-28-2010, 08:15 AM

They were trying to conserve the use of the letter Y in the press kits. Once Bradon Lloyd made the team Kyle or Peyton had to go.

orange crusher
12-28-2010, 08:21 AM
Seem to be seeing more and more things trying to indicate that Xanders didn't agree with what McDaniels was doing. Xanders and the FO doing their best to paint a good picture of Xanders. They need to just get rid of this guy and put the past in the past.

lostknight
From reading this I'm becoming more and more convinced that we already have our GM in place.

If it was Xanders who argued against the trades (Orton and Hillis), then yes.

If not, I remain skeptical.

Likwid Kerruj

That's what I'm trying to figure out. If he really wanted to move Orton for a second, why place a first round tender on him?

Broncos placed first round tender on Orton on March 3.

Traded for Quinn on March 14 and cut Simms.

Orton signs tender on April 16.

Drafted Tebow on April 22.

Cut Brandstater on June 4.

Jay3
12-28-2010, 08:27 AM
Makes me wonder if it was someone else who became enamored with Kyle Orton as the answer, and convinced Josh to hold off getting Tebow in there this season.

TonyR
12-28-2010, 08:30 AM
...I remain skeptical.

As we all should. We can't trust anything the Broncos are saying or indicating, and we have to assume the reporters are just making "educated guesses". But if I had to guess right now I'd certainly guess that Xanders will remain, and probably as a "GM" answering to Elway.

Mile High Shack
12-28-2010, 08:31 AM
I think it just kinda proves the point that McD had literally no idea what he was doing front office wise

ColoradoDarin
12-28-2010, 08:39 AM
As we all should. We can't trust anything the Broncos are saying or indicating, and we have to assume the reporters are just making "educated guesses". But if I had to guess right now I'd certainly guess that Xanders will remain, and probably as a "GM" answering to Elway.

These stories aren't coming from nowhere, someone in Broncos HQ is putting it out there that Xanders is good. I don't know what to think of it, but it seems to me that we're keeping Xanders as GM.

If you look at it, Xanders came late to the party in 2009 after the Goodmans were gone, the 09 draft was good, but wasn't great (you can't account for the injuries, but the 09 draft was satisfactory). The 2010 draft is already looking significantly better than any draft I can remember, I think that might do with Xanders getting more vocal/secure in his role over 2009. I obviously don't know, but that seems at least a little plausible.

Kaylore
12-28-2010, 08:46 AM
It's easy for Xanders to say "I wanted to keep all the good players and didn't want all the bad ones!" after the fact. The guy is trying to keep his job and maybe parlay that into a better one. Sometime we'll hear about how he didn't want to trade the first for Alphonso Smith or the Richard Quinn deal but was the brainchild of draft Syd'Quan.

lostknight
12-28-2010, 08:58 AM
These stories aren't coming from nowhere, someone in Broncos HQ is putting it out there that Xanders is good. I don't know what to think of it, but it seems to me that we're keeping Xanders as GM.

Yep. That worries me. This Broncos FO proved to be very good at spreading stories through the media (Cutler is a drunk being the favorite) as trial balloons).

TheReverend
12-28-2010, 08:59 AM
It's easy for Xanders to say "I wanted to keep all the good players and didn't want all the bad ones!" after the fact. The guy is trying to keep his job and maybe parlay that into a better one. Sometime we'll hear about how he didn't want to trade the first for Alphonso Smith or the Richard Quinn deal but was the brainchild of draft Syd'Quan.

He really seems like a weasel to me and takes shots at former coworkers to make himself look good at multiple opportunities.

Let keep in mind this isn't a recent trend with McDaniels gone. Xanders also had that article extolling himself for getting ready of 30+ players that no longer play in the NFL, while crediting himself with replacing them and seeing eye to eye with Josh only to PUBLICLY stab him in the back the second he was fired (and probably privately stabbed him in the back to Bowlen/Ellis months prior)

Sorry, that kind of integrity alone says to me, "Get rid of this **** head".

BroncoInferno
12-28-2010, 09:00 AM
I am certainly not a Orton hater, but I have a hard time believing that anyone offered a 2nd rounder for him. Also, what does "not engaged with his receivers" mean? He wasn't buddy-buddy with them? He didn't work out with them in the offseason?

MrPeepers
12-28-2010, 09:02 AM
i heard from a coworker, who might as well be he light rail.
Hillis was hitting on McDaniels wife and the first time was told to lay off, but kept hitting on her at team events.

bowtown
12-28-2010, 09:03 AM

If you look at it, Xanders came late to the party in 2009 after the Goodmans were gone, the 09 draft was good, but wasn't great (you can't account for the injuries, but the 09 draft was satisfactory). The 2010 draft is already looking significantly better than any draft I can remember, I think that might do with Xanders getting more vocal/secure in his role over 2009. I obviously don't know, but that seems at least a little plausible.

Xanders came in 08 iirc and worked with the Goodmans for a year.

TheReverend
12-28-2010, 09:04 AM
I am certainly not a Orton hater, but I have a hard time believing that anyone offered a 2nd rounder for him. Also, what does "not engaged with his receivers" mean? He wasn't buddy-buddy with them? He didn't work out with them in the offseason?

The quote is that he "sent out feelers for a 2nd round pick". Naturally no one was going to take it when Charlie Whitehurst was available Ha! Had anyone been out of their mind enough to accept, he sure as **** would've been gone.

McDman
12-28-2010, 09:23 AM
i heard from a coworker, who might as well be he light rail.
Hillis was hitting on McDaniels wife and the first time was told to lay off, but kept hitting on her at team events.

Hahahaha, riiiight.

ColoradoDarin
12-28-2010, 09:29 AM
Xanders came in 08 iirc and worked with the Goodmans for a year.

Yes, but I meant as from when he was promoted to GM when they were fired.

colonelbeef
12-28-2010, 09:30 AM
Josh McDaniels was involved in front office drama fueled by his own personnel ineptness?

I find this hard to believe.

Broncos4tw
12-28-2010, 09:34 AM

And it's just as easy for Josh to refute these comments, as it would be in his benefit to do so, as he seaches for a new job. Will he? If not, then I'd imagine the rumors are true.

HILife
12-28-2010, 09:41 AM
I just read Klis's mailbag column. Woody reported a few weeks ago that things were nowhere near as smooth as Josh and Kyle presented in the media, that josh was seriously pissed that Orton wasn't engaged with his receivers. Later it was reported that Kyle was "furious" when the team traded for Quinn, and livid about Tebow.

Woody reported that Josh was actively trying to trade Kyle, but was talked out of it by someone - source unknown - at Broncos HQ. Klis repeated that claim this morning in the mailbag, asserting it was for a second.

Another interesting thing coming out from Vic and Gary yesterday is that they stated flat out that McDaniels acknowledged that the Hillis trade was poor, but it makes more sense in the context of McDaniels trying to get rid of Orton.

Now that McDaniels is gone, all sorts of crazy stories - like this - and like the trading without Xanders knowledge.

What a strange journey.

The more I read about Josh, the more I start to think it might have been a good thing to let him go, assuming this is is true. Seems to have some seariously questionable desicion making skills.

yerner
12-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Maroney for a 4th!

elsid13
12-28-2010, 10:05 AM

Since he bragged about the moves up for Smith and Quinn in the papers, he shouldn't be allow to distancing himself from them now.

Jason in LA
12-28-2010, 10:11 AM

The way I'm reading that is that McD was looking to trade Orton, so he needed another QB in place, which was going to be Quinn. So he gave up Hillis so he could have a QB when Orton was gone. But then McD couldn't get what he wanted for Orton, so he kept him.

serious hops
12-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Seem to be seeing more and more things trying to indicate that Xanders didn't agree with what McDaniels was doing. Xanders and the FO doing their best to paint a good picture of Xanders. They need to just get rid of this guy and put the past in the past.

The Denver Post will probably be running a nice fat puff piece on Xanders any day now.

Drek
12-28-2010, 10:24 AM
He really seems like a weasel to me and takes shots at former coworkers to make himself look good at multiple opportunities.

Let keep in mind this isn't a recent trend with McDaniels gone. Xanders also had that article extolling himself for getting ready of 30+ players that no longer play in the NFL, while crediting himself with replacing them and seeing eye to eye with Josh only to PUBLICLY stab him in the back the second he was fired (and probably privately stabbed him in the back to Bowlen/Ellis months prior)

Sorry, that kind of integrity alone says to me, "Get rid of this **** head".

Completely agree. He isn't especially qualified to run an entire organization and from the day McDaniels got fired he's been running a 24/7 press junket for the benefit of the local media.

Shouldn't he be preparing for the draft and free agency if he wants to keep his job?

Taco John
12-28-2010, 10:27 AM
The way I'm reading that is that McD was looking to trade Orton, so he needed another QB in place, which was going to be Quinn. So he gave up Hillis so he could have a QB when Orton was gone. But then McD couldn't get what he wanted for Orton, so he kept him.

That's a terrible plan if true. Brady Quinn is awful.

Derger_Louis
12-28-2010, 10:57 AM
Hahahaha, riiiight.

I'm not saying it's true, but that's not the first I've heard that... I believe someone posted an article about it on the denverbroncos forum and there was quite a lengthy discussion.

But who knows, stranger things have happened.

Hamrob
12-28-2010, 11:02 AM
That's a terrible plan if true. Brady Quinn is awful.Now we know. But at the time...Orton was threatening to hold out...he wasn't practicing with the team (WR's) and frankly...he just wasn't good enough to be playing the game he was.

This actually explains alot...I think. McD wasn't sold on Orton to begin with...Orton starts trying to strong arm him...McD said I can get somebody just as good as you and not pay the $ you want. He trades for Brady (who many thought had a chance to be special)...following the logic that he was Weis's guy...and that McD was a QB guru and could make him special.

In hindsite...trading Hillis for Brady looks assinine...but, really, we were trading a good back with some upside...for a great college QB with upside.

I hated the fact that McD wouldnt play Hillis...after he had proven himself in 2008...but, if he wasn't going to play him...trading him for a QB with some upside wasn't a bad trade in my book.

TonyR
12-28-2010, 11:04 AM
Now we know. But at the time...

Agree, good post. It certainly didn't work out but you can at least see and understand what he was probably thinking. Made some sense at the time, obviously doesn't with perfect hindsight.

Rascal
12-28-2010, 11:09 AM
I've been on drugs and drinking heavily since this supposedly happened...but when did Orton threaten to hold out and not practice with the team/WRs? Link would be appreciated.

bronco_diesel
12-28-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm not saying it's true, but that's not the first I've heard that... I believe someone posted an article about it on the denverbroncos forum and there was quite a lengthy discussion.

But who knows, stranger things have happened.

Vic and Gary asked Xanders about the Hillis trade and he wouldn't comment. The way he responded, it sounded like there was some underlying issues. I just got the impression that it wasn't just about x's and o's and Xanders wanted to stay far away from whatever it was that caused the trade. This makes me wonder.

bendog
12-28-2010, 11:25 AM
Trying to logically dissect the bronco personnel moves of the past two years is like trying to make a Yugo a reliable automobile.