PDA

View Full Version : Coach Chronicles: Mike Mularkey

tsiguy96
12-27-2010, 06:54 PM
i think he may be my top pick for the new HC of this team. anyone make a case for hiring or not hiring "inspector gadget"?

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/files/2009/12/Mike-Mularkey.jpg

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/roster-coaches/mike-mularkey/

vercingetorix
12-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Id rather hire Jeff Nonsense.

Dagmar
12-27-2010, 07:03 PM
Thought you wanted Nolan?

extralife
12-27-2010, 07:06 PM
Here's your case: he's a finesse nutjob that bombed in Buffalo. His Pittsburgh offenses were amusing, but those were the worst Pittsburgh teams of the last fifteen years. As for his job with the Falcons? Ehhh, I don't know. They're winning games right now, but I don't see anything amazing from the offense. Just solid players getting it done. I don't see his stamp anywhere on that team. Not crazy about the dude at all.

tsiguy96
12-27-2010, 07:08 PM
Here's your case: he's a finesse nutjob that bombed in Buffalo. His Pittsburgh offenses were amusing, but those were the worst Pittsburgh teams of the last fifteen years. As for his job with the Falcons? Ehhh, I don't know. They're winning games right now, but I don't see anything amazing from the offense. Just solid players getting it done. I don't see his stamp anywhere on that team. Not crazy about the dude at all.

bombed in buffalo? led the only winning record that team has had in, forever. didnt win the next season, then wilson hired marv levy to oversee him and he resigned.

matt ryan is a top 5 QB in this league, and mularkey has contributed to that.

tsiguy96
12-27-2010, 07:09 PM
Thought you wanted Nolan?

nope. to be fair though, my new HC choice will probably change sometime in january.

RunSilentRunDeep
12-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Mularkey is No. 1 on my wish list, he's pretty much got everything going for him outside of being a defensive guy.

-- Former journeyman NFL tight end that made it nine years in the league on hard work and smarts

-- He's got gravitas, big dude and 48-years old. Polar opposite of Little Josh and his 12-year-old sounding voice.

-- He should come cheap.

-- Coached the raw Kordell Stewart and the polished Matt Ryan to stardom. Who else is better equipped to bring the best out of Tebow?

-- Has coached dominant power running games.

-- Already has head coaching experience. Took his lumps in Buffalo, did a good job despite being stuck with Kelly Holcomb and J.P. Losman at QB.

-- Players in Atlanta rave about his smarts and attention to detail.

Cmac821
12-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Here's your case: he's a finesse nutjob that bombed in Buffalo. His Pittsburgh offenses were amusing, but those were the worst Pittsburgh teams of the last fifteen years.

Wikipedia says he lead Pitt to 10+ wins for three years he was OC.

Dagmar
12-27-2010, 07:16 PM
nope. to be fair though, my new HC choice will probably change sometime in january.

I'm sticking with the Jim Harbaugh dream and a Wade or Marvin Lewis to run the D. I want an improved D, these last few years have been horrific.

RunSilentRunDeep
12-27-2010, 07:18 PM

???? The Steelers had one of the best running games in the league and they went 13-3 and made the AFC title game with "Dumb S**t" Kordell Stewart at QB. He actually Tommy Maddox a player for a little while.

frerottenextelway
12-27-2010, 07:22 PM
I went into more detail in another thread, but I can tell you from a local perspective that the Steeler faithful viewed him as part of the problem and were glad when he left town.

frerottenextelway
12-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Wikipedia says he lead Pitt to 10+ wins for three years he was OC.

Pitt went 6-10 his last year there and 15-1 the next year.

Here's a stat I really don't like: Pitt passed 532 times in 2003 (Mularkeys last year) and 358 times in 2004.

Ratboy
12-27-2010, 07:34 PM
I'm sticking with the Jim Harbaugh dream and a Wade or Marvin Lewis to run the D. I want an improved D, these last few years have been horrific.

:strong:

snowspot66
12-27-2010, 07:40 PM
Pitt went 6-10 his last year there and 15-1 the next year.

Here's a stat I really don't like: Pitt passed 532 times in 2003 (Mularkeys last year) and 358 times in 2004.

That was Rothlisbergers first season. Of course they threw significantly less and of course their offense got better. They were running with Charlie Batch and Tommie Maddox before they got injured and **** the bed.

I don't know anything about Mularkey and have no opinion at this time but that turn around was an offensive miracle and a dominant defense.

go_broncos
12-27-2010, 07:46 PM
Mularkey is No. 1 on my wish list, he's pretty much got everything going for him outside of being a defensive guy.

-- Former journeyman NFL tight end that made it nine years in the league on hard work and smarts

-- He's got gravitas, big dude and 48-years old. Polar opposite of Little Josh and his 12-year-old sounding voice.

-- He should come cheap.

-- Coached the raw Kordell Stewart and the polished Matt Ryan to stardom. Who else is better equipped to bring the best out of Tebow?

-- Already has head coaching experience. Took his lumps in Buffalo, did a good job despite being stuck with Kelly Holcomb and J.P. Losman at QB.

Another offensive coach that has no prior experience in HC..

tsiguy96
12-27-2010, 07:48 PM

except when he was head coach of the bills, leading them to their only winning season in forever.

frerottenextelway
12-27-2010, 07:48 PM
That was Rothlisbergers first season. Of course they threw significantly less and of course their offense got better. They were running with Charlie Batch and Tommie Maddox before they got injured and **** the bed.

I don't know anything about Mularkey and have no opinion at this time but that turn around was an offensive miracle and a dominant defense.

I know it's not all on Mularkey, but locals did not like his pass happy gadget offense at the time and in retrospect it's hard not to think they were right. The Steelers would have been less of a team had he stuck around with that offense.

Maybe he's changed though, Atlanta is doing very well.

TheReverend
12-27-2010, 07:50 PM
I'd rather we promote Ben McDaniels

tsiguy96
12-27-2010, 07:51 PM
I know it's not all on Mularkey, but locals did not like his pass happy gadget offense at the time and in retrospect it's hard not to think they were right. The Steelers would have been less of a team had he stuck around with that offense.

Maybe he's changed though, Atlanta is doing very well.

the steelers were successful, and atlanta is a very good running team. they stick with the run, just read earlier today michael turner is one of 3 NFL RBs who average 20 carries per game this year.

his development of ryan and commitment to the run this year have been pretty successful.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&offensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&conference=ALL&role=TM&season=2010&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS_PER_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

falcons 8th in rushing this year.

Scourge
12-27-2010, 07:52 PM

What?

Sure, he's an offensive guy, I'll give you that. But he was the head guy in Buffalo, someone even mentioned it earlier in this thread. Heck, earlier than the post you quoted...

tsiguy96
12-27-2010, 07:53 PM
What?

Sure, he's an offensive guy, I'll give you that. But he was the head guy in Buffalo, someone even mentioned it earlier in this thread. Heck, earlier than the post you quoted...

this is how he does. he doesnt bother actually reading the discussion going on, just interjects his ridiculous posts wherever he thinks they are relevant.

go_broncos
12-27-2010, 07:56 PM
this is how he does. he doesnt bother actually reading the discussion going on, just interjects his ridiculous posts wherever he thinks they are relevant.

yeah..right..like you predicted how Mcd is great coach..
I will say this..if you say something good..most of the time, he is horrible..
Don't worry..Bowlen won't hire him..
In the mean time..you keep posting to increase your post counts.
Asshole..

tsiguy96
12-27-2010, 07:58 PM
a-hole..

what does this thread have to do with mcd? and his coaching ability speaks for itself, in fact that was rarely ever in question.

Scourge
12-27-2010, 08:01 PM
a-hole..

Ok, seriously, that wasn't even a coherent thought. You have over 3000 post.

Maybe you should stop posting and keep your post count where it is.

go_broncos
12-27-2010, 08:05 PM
what does this thread have to do with mcd? and his coaching ability speaks for itself, in fact that was rarely ever in question.

Mike Mularkey was fired after 2 seasons(similar to Mcd)..They finished almost last on offense when he was the HC.

I don't want another Mcd type hire..You want him as our HC because he is having good hear as OC with Falcons..

I would rather hire experienced HC than promote him.

go_broncos
12-27-2010, 08:06 PM
Ok, seriously, that wasn't even a coherent thought. You have over 3000 post.

Maybe you should stop posting and keep your post count where it is.

Hilarious!

tsiguy96
12-27-2010, 08:10 PM
Mike Mularkey was fired after 2 seasons(similar to Mcd)..They finished almost last on offense when he was the HC.

I don't want another Mcd type hire..You want him as our HC because he is having good hear as OC with Falcons..

I would rather hire experienced HC than promote him.

wrong, again. ive come to expect nothing less. he resigned, as i posted IN THIS VERY THREAD!

try reading sometime, its really not that hard.

Dedhed
12-27-2010, 08:22 PM

Ahh, another well reasoned and researched post by go_broncos that really adds a lot to the thread.

Well done bro, well done.

elsid13
12-27-2010, 08:48 PM
Why go after a coordinator that hasn't field a top ten offense or defense? It make far more sense to after Mornhinweg (a top flight dynamic offense with mobile QB)or Gregg Williams of the Saints, who has been know to have successful attacking defense.

gunns
12-28-2010, 08:02 AM

-- He should come cheap.

The bolded part says it all.....no, then you confirm it all with what is written afterward. It's all about offense and QB's. Denver has been all about offense for the past 12 years. And it's gotten Denver about as far as Mularkey.

Drek
12-28-2010, 10:10 AM
I'd be up for Mularkey. I'd also be fine with Morningweg. The more I think about it the more pro-Kubes I am.

What I view as the top requirements for our next HC are as follows:
1. experienced leading a team or a very large portion of a team

2. buys into Tebow

3. has a wide array of connections in the NFL to collect staff from

Most HCs fail on their first attempt. Some of the best in the business (Shanahan, Belichick) did. But it helps prepare them to hit the ground running with their second opportunity. I feel that the single biggest mistake McDaniels made here was assembling a very weak coaching staff where all but a handful of the coaches this year were getting big bumps up from their previous roles on other teams. Look at the best teams in the NFL right now. The Jets have a guy like Bill Calahan, former HC and OC, coaching the OL. The Falcons have Mularkey as their OC. Philly has Morningweg at OC. Pittsburgh brought Dick LeBeau back to run the D. A lot of your best teams have staffs with years of diverse experience at the level they're being asked to succeed at now. Doing what McDaniels did is saying you don't believe in the time proven Peter Principle.

And of course, Tebow is the franchise now. So whatever is needed to make him into a franchise QB should be our top priority.