PDA

View Full Version : So Where Does Orton Get Traded to? .... and for what?

prunch
12-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Not an Orton hater .... like the guy actually but I think the writing is on the wall.

I say Orton goes to Seattle or Minny for a 2nd. For his flaws he did throw for some good yardage with no running game so it has to count for something.

Any other guesses or input?

Kaylore
12-27-2010, 01:03 PM
He gets traded for the search function!

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=95955

Inkana7
12-27-2010, 01:04 PM
He gets traded for the search function!

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=95955

Terrible value. It'd be like McDaniels never left!

Smiling Assassin27
12-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Normally, I'd say he should stay as a backup, but at $9M, he's too pricey. I would think the team would approach him to restructure first, then consider a trade (not sure what kind of market he'd actually have--maybe Oak, KC or SD?), then cut the guy.

Dude's been a good soldier but there's no place for him here at that salary.

Hamrob
12-27-2010, 01:13 PM
I don't see anyone giving up more than a 4th for Orton. If we were to get a 2nd...I'd be shocked and estatic!

The pros for Orton are that he's heading into his prime (6th season in 2011), he's a team guy, and he can managed an offense. Additionally, he can make all the throws and he won't make alot of mistakes. Upside could be that of Ken Anderson.

The cons for Orton are that he's not a Superstar and he won't elevate the team or win games on his own.

That being said, a team like Minnesota or Arizona would be back in the playoff hunt with Orton at the helm. Other teams to consider could be Carolina...while they groom Luck, Tennessee to take Collins place and back up VY or Buffalo as insurance for Fitzpatrick.

The problem I see, is that only Minn and Az would want him potentially to start. Any other team would not spend a high draft pick on a backup QB. And, you have to figure...teams will be betting that we cut Orton. Why? Because we're not going to pay him $8m to ride the pine next year. So, why trade for him...when Denver will cut him come March.

Drek
12-27-2010, 01:13 PM
Normally, I'd say he should stay as a backup, but at $9M, he's too pricey. I would think the team would approach him to restructure first, then consider a trade (not sure what kind of market he'd actually have--maybe Oak, KC or SD?), then cut the guy.

Dude's been a good soldier but there's no place for him here at that salary.

There is no way he stays on as Tebow's backup.

His contract is non-guaranteed so I think its very possible he'll just be cut. Up until a few weeks ago I figured you'd probably be able to squeeze a mid-round pick (late 3rd to late 4th) out of someone for him. But with how disastrous his last couple games were it won't be so easy.

That said, Sage Rosenfels was actually traded for draft compensation not so long ago in this league so there is definitely hope. If we wind up picking 2nd and both Luck and Newton jump out we might be able to be the first call QB needy teams make. Shouldn't be impossible to find someone willing to take Orton as a mid-round consolation prize if they lose out on buying the #2 spot from us.

From a system standpoint I think Arizona would be a great fit for him.

Smiling Assassin27
12-27-2010, 01:15 PM

His contract is non-guaranteed so I think its very possible he'll just be cut. Up until a few weeks ago I figured you'd probably be able to squeeze a mid-round pick (late 3rd to late 4th) out of someone for him. But with how disastrous his last couple games were it won't be so easy.

That said, Sage Rosenfels was actually traded for draft compensation not so long ago in this league so there is definitely hope. If we wind up picking 2nd and both Luck and Newton jump out we might be able to be the first call QB needy teams make. Shouldn't be impossible to find someone willing to take Orton as a mid-round consolation prize if they lose out on buying the #2 spot from us.

I had the impression that about 5M of it was guaranteed. Good point about Sage. Anything greater than a 4th would be a steal, IMO.

tsiguy96
12-27-2010, 01:17 PM
sage was traded to be solid depth and compete at starter, and was traded for a 4th. orton will be traded to BE a starter in this league. atleast a 3rd for him.

enjolras
12-27-2010, 01:21 PM
I think everyone on this board is hugely undervaluing proven QB's in the NFL. Orton is far better than people around here want to give him credit for. I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised by the demand. He's a relatively young, efficient, and dependable Quarterback. I expect similar value to what New England got for Matt Cassel (a 2nd rounder I believe).

Pony Boy
12-27-2010, 01:22 PM
I afraid we might have to trade him for another teams turd that hasn't work out and try to polish it...... deja vu all over again

Baba Booey
12-27-2010, 01:25 PM
My guess would be Minnesota or maybe Arizona, hopefully for a 3rd or (God willing) a 2nd.

BroncoBen
12-27-2010, 01:30 PM
You trade Orton for say a 4th round pick in 2011.. an maybe a conditional 5th round pick in 2012. So if he gets traded to the Cards and Orton takes them to the playoffs..the 5th round pick becomes a 2nd or 3rd round pick in 2012.

LRtagger
12-27-2010, 01:36 PM
I don't see anyone giving up more than a 4th for Orton. If we were to get a 2nd...I'd be shocked and estatic!

The pros for Orton are that he's heading into his prime (6th season in 2011), he's a team guy, and he can managed an offense. Additionally, he can make all the throws and he won't make alot of mistakes. Upside could be that of Ken Anderson.

The cons for Orton are that he's not a Superstar and he won't elevate the team or win games on his own.

That being said, a team like Minnesota or Arizona would be back in the playoff hunt with Orton at the helm. Other teams to consider could be Carolina...while they groom Luck, Tennessee to take Collins place and back up VY or Buffalo as insurance for Fitzpatrick.

The problem I see, is that only Minn and Az would want him potentially to start. Any other team would not spend a high draft pick on a backup QB. And, you have to figure...teams will be betting that we cut Orton. Why? Because we're not going to pay him $8m to ride the pine next year. So, why trade for him...when Denver will cut him come March.

Whitehurst was traded for a 3rd and he's a scrub. I know Orton is no world beater, but he would walk into camp as a solid starter for a number of teams next year. I would be shocked if we did not get at least a 3rd - preferably a 2nd.

ro_50
12-27-2010, 01:37 PM
If he's traded, maybe a 5th or at best, a 4th.

Houshyamama
12-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Vote here: http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=95955

Pony Boy
12-27-2010, 01:40 PM
You trade Orton for say a 4th round pick in 2011.. an maybe a conditional 5th round pick in 2012. So if he gets traded to the Cards and Orton takes them to the playoffs..the 5th round pick becomes a 2nd or 3rd round pick in 2012.

If Orton gets traded to the Cards and takes them to the playoffs, The Mane will make what Jim Jones did in Guyana look like small potatoes

Garcia Bronco
12-27-2010, 01:44 PM
Why not make him the backup? He won't get **** on the open market.

Rohirrim
12-27-2010, 02:01 PM
I think everyone on this board is hugely undervaluing proven QB's in the NFL. Orton is far better than people around here want to give him credit for. I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised by the demand. He's a relatively young, efficient, and dependable Quarterback. I expect similar value to what New England got for Matt Cassel (a 2nd rounder I believe).

^this

Dagmar
12-27-2010, 02:02 PM

Unlike that beast of a QB Charlie Whitehurst...

BroncoInferno
12-27-2010, 02:13 PM

We could...but it's doubtful we'd pay him $9 million to carry a clipboard. If we ask him to restructure, he probably would not cooperate so he could force a trade or release that would allow him to go somewhere he'd have a chance to start. It seems a lot of folks are missing Minnesota as a possible destination. He's a decided upgrade over Jackson. Even if they draft a QBOTF they will want a veteran bridge, like Orton, since they have a veteran roster capable of winning right away.

tsiguy96
12-27-2010, 02:23 PM
its still baffling to me that orton doesnt get the respect hes earned. hes not a top 5 QB, but to act like hes not in the top 32 QBs of the NFL is nuts. he will start somewhere next year, barring injury. "

vercingetorix
12-27-2010, 02:45 PM
Whitehurst was traded for a 3rd and he's a scrub. I know Orton is no world beater, but he would walk into camp as a solid starter for a number of teams next year. I would be shocked if we did not get at least a 3rd - preferably a 2nd.

This. Denver should be looking for a 2nd for Orton.

colonelbeef
12-27-2010, 03:03 PM
I bet Miami will give him a long look

vercingetorix
12-27-2010, 03:10 PM
I bet Miami will give him a long look

Miami, Minnesota, Carolina, Arizona and possibly a few others are all places.

snowspot66
12-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Miami, Minnesota, Carolina, Arizona and possibly a few others are all places.

I could see Minnesota really easily. They've got a well built team that needs a QB that won't **** up.

Hamrob
12-27-2010, 04:19 PM
QUOTE=enjolras;3059651]I think everyone on this board is hugely undervaluing proven QB's in the NFL. Orton is far better than people around here want to give him credit for. I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised by the demand. He's a relatively young, efficient, and dependable Quarterback. I expect similar value to what New England got for Matt Cassel (a 2nd rounder I believe).[/QUOTE]Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!

Orton has about 10% of the upside that Cassel has/had. The Chiefs were trading for a QB of the future. Someone they could build their Organization around.

If you think that Orton will be seen in that same light...you're going to be shocked!!!

AZorange1
12-27-2010, 05:27 PM
If Orton gets traded to the Cards and takes them to the playoffs, The Mane will make what Jim Jones did in Guyana look like small potatoes

KYLE ORTON, COME ON DOWN!!! Maybe at least the games I can watch here will be interesting then.

Boltjolt
12-27-2010, 05:57 PM
You guys should keep Orton as a backup. Tebow isnt assured of being a stud next season. Everybody lights up the Texans defense. They are last against the pass and the only defense to have a rating of over 100 against them on the season. 102.3 to be exact. The next worst is 97 which is Jacksonville.

Orton would be a real good backup. Doubt you get more than a 4th for him.

Dagmar
12-27-2010, 06:06 PM
You guys should keep Orton as a backup. Tebow isnt assured of being a stud next season. Everybody lights up the Texans defense. They are last against the pass and the only defense to have a rating of over 100 against them on the season. 102.3 to be exact. The next worst is 97 which is Jacksonville.

Kyle Orton - 20 TD's to 9 INTs

Charlie Whitehurst - 1 TD, 3 INTs.

One of these guys went for a 3rd round pick.

Mjolnir
12-27-2010, 06:54 PM
What about San Francisco as a possible destination? After all the Alex/Troy Smith crap all year, something tells me they might want a little consistency at that QB position.

KO for a 3rd.

~Crash~
12-27-2010, 07:02 PM

From a system standpoint I think Arizona would be a great fit for him.

Drek you do get his ribs are why is not playing Right ? them rib's caused his bad playing . I do get the liking what Tebow has done but you should maybe give some credit to Orton !

TheReverend
12-27-2010, 07:12 PM

Exactly what I've been saying. He's a valuable commodity to us on the bench where he belongs.

TheReverend
12-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Drek you do get his ribs are why is not playing Right ? them rib's caused his bad playing . I do get the liking what Tebow has done but you should maybe give some credit to Orton !

Lol @ buying the PR excuse to save Kyle some face

broncosteven
12-27-2010, 07:15 PM
Exactly what I've been saying. He's a valuable commodity to us on the bench where he belongs.

That was where duh bears kept them during their SB run. Insurance incase REXMAN and SOB went down.

listopencil
12-27-2010, 07:21 PM

qft

Boltjolt
12-27-2010, 07:24 PM

Your right and it was unbelievable. I still cant believe it. Charlie Suckhurst is awful. Maybe Pete was used to seeing college QB's and thought Suckhurst had it going on Ha!

Still, i dont see Orton getting traded for much. Maybe a 3rd but hec ive seen players go for peanuts too. We only got a 6th for Seau when he was still good.

Still, Orton would be one of the best if not the best backup in teh league. Theres no guarantee Tebow is going to tear it up once tape gets out on him. Even Matt Ryan struggled his 2nd season.

Let me say that i do like Tebow as a player and was one that thought he would be a good NFL QB because of his work ethic so im not bashing him. Just think Houston was a good team to make your first start. Their defense stinks.

TheReverend
12-27-2010, 07:25 PM
That was where duh bears kept them during their SB run. Insurance incase REXMAN and SOB went down.

I remember. After his performance the year before in his rookie season, could anyone blame them? Ha!

listopencil
12-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Lol @ buying the PR excuse to save Kyle some face

If the team as whole didn't suck so much ass, Orton would have played through any mild injury-he played with a finger on his throwing hand destroyed last year. Other than that a rib injury makes a lot more sense than the "..duh...Orton just suddenly started sucking...duh..." dumbassery that I've seen posted around here the last few weeks.

jsco70
12-27-2010, 07:36 PM
If the team as whole didn't suck so much ass, Orton would have played through any mild injury-he played with a finger on his throwing hand destroyed last year. Other than that a rib injury makes a lot more sense than the "..duh...Orton just suddenly started sucking...duh..." dumbassery that I've seen posted around here the last few weeks.

Orton wasn't injured during his 4th quarter failures against Jags, Jets, SF, Rams. It's pretty simple to me, Tebow will WIN the game in the 4th quarter, similar to Elway. Regardless if he's injured or not, Orton plays well and then folds to the pressure in the end.

TheReverend
12-27-2010, 07:42 PM

Newsflash: Orton "just started sucking" when he graduated from Purdue

Missouribronc
12-27-2010, 07:46 PM

Dag, what exactly is your obsession with Whitehurst? Is it the hair?

Everyone knows Carroll failed miserably in that trade. I hope we get a good haul for Orton, but I doubt it. And it mostly has to do with his contract, not his talent.

broncosteven
12-27-2010, 07:53 PM

He is a smart guy who can run an offense he just is not mobile enough to make game changing plays and continue drives. If we had a D that scored points like duh bears did his rookie season we would be 13-3 and going into the playoffs as the 2 seed.

It is not often that a D will outscore it's own QB.

Beantown Bronco
12-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Orton has about 10% of the upside that Cassel has/had.

Ahhhh, upside. Another word for "hasn't done it yet".

Orton's upside is just as high as Cassel's. Cassel was almost benched in KC he was so bad the first year+ he was there. If it wasn't for them having a Brady Quinn clone behind him and Jamaal Charles exploding for them, he would've been.

Give Orton their OLine, running game and defense the past two seasons and he'd have better numbers and at least as many wins as Cassel has. Easy.

Dagmar
12-27-2010, 07:56 PM
Dag, what exactly is your obsession with Whitehurst? Is it the hair?

Everyone knows Carroll failed miserably in that trade. I hope we get a good haul for Orton, but I doubt it. And it mostly has to do with his contract, not his talent.

It drives me crazy that Orton was tagged for a first, Whitehurst goes for a 3rd and people like Taco and the like are giving it the "no draft picks!". I'm waiting for the childish McDaniels nonsense to go away. Orton is a good game manager in line with someone like Flacco (something my neutral friends, fans of the 49ers, Falcons and Colts all agree with)and he will bring us a draft pick of a fourth (rounder)or higher. Some teams like the 49ers, Vikings etc are in dire straits at that position.

tsiguy96
12-27-2010, 07:58 PM
It drives me crazy that Orton was tagged for a first, Whitehurst goes for a 3rd and people like Taco and the like are giving it the "no draft picks!". I'm waiting for the childish McDaniels nonsense to go away. Orton is a good game manager in line with someone like Flacco (something my neutral friends, fans of the 49ers, Falcons and Colts all agree with)and he will bring us a draft pick of a fourth (rounder)or higher. Some teams like the 49ers, Vikings etc are in dire straits at that position.

i would almost bet, as in line with a lot of players traded who are intended to start for the new team, it will be a performance based trade. 4th that will escalate to a 1st (if they make super bowl), 2nd if playoffs, 3rd if winning season. something to that effect.

Missouribronc
12-27-2010, 07:59 PM

It all hinges on what McNabb brings, btw. And it might not be as high as you think. Don't get your hopes up. The Broncos have very little leverage.

Dagmar
12-27-2010, 08:02 PM
It all hinges on what McNabb brings, btw. And it might not be as high as you think. Don't get your hopes up. The Broncos have very little leverage.

I thought he was all but guaranteed to be released due to the structure of his contract?

tsiguy96
12-27-2010, 08:03 PM
I thought he was all but guaranteed to be released due to the structure of his contract?

5.5 million guaranteed i think, prolly bumps to 8 something with roster bonus. not sure of specifics, but there is SOME amount of guaranteed money if hes on team that is NOT guaranteed if he isnt.

Beantown Bronco
12-27-2010, 08:10 PM

They have plenty of leverage. They can keep him as a backup. Not many teams can say they have a backup who not only knows their system inside out, but has the potential to put up top 10 starter numbers.

Missouribronc
12-27-2010, 08:12 PM

Released? Who mentioned that?

McNabb's contract is bigger. I'd imagine if he got traded, Denver will get less than Washington gets for McNabb, but that's just a guess, of course.

Dagmar
12-27-2010, 08:15 PM
Released? Who mentioned that?

McNabb's contract is bigger. I'd imagine if he got traded, Denver will get less than Washington gets for McNabb, but that's just a guess, of course.

From what I understood he was going to be released in the off season, his contract was structured to be PR are friendly but the Skins won't have to eat much if they release him after the season. I am fully willing to admit I may have heard wrong.

Missouribronc
12-27-2010, 08:16 PM
They have plenty of leverage. They can keep him as a backup. Not many teams can say they have a backup who not only knows their system inside out, but has the potential to put up top 10 starter numbers.

A backup quarterback making 9 mil? And to think the Denver fans screamed, moaned and cried like bitches when Simms made, what 2 mil?

The Broncos are not in need of a high priced backup QB. They have very little trade leverage.

footstepsfrom#27
12-27-2010, 08:17 PM
Dallas might want him if they dump Kitna next year. He'll be 39, he got hurt filling in for Romo and Orton would be an upgrade in case Romo goes south or gets hurt again. Plus they have enough weapons to surround him with on offense that he'd be effective as a bus driver QB there.

Beantown Bronco
12-27-2010, 08:19 PM
A backup quarterback making 9 mil? And to think the Denver fans screamed, moaned and cried like b****es when Simms made, what 2 mil?

Zero chance he makes that whole $9 mil next year. There's going to be a lockout anyway, but I'm sure that even if there's football, there are contingencies for him not starting.

Missouribronc
12-27-2010, 08:19 PM
From what I understood he was going to be released in the off season, his contract was structured to be PR are friendly but the Skins won't have to eat much if they release him after the season. I am fully willing to admit I may have heard wrong.

Why would Shanahan release a QB he could get picks for? Donovan's request to be released so he can play where he wants is ridiculous.

Vegas_Bronco
12-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Looking at Ortons draft class...amazingly he has been one of best other than Aaron Rogers.

He's done better as an nfl qb and would trade out better than:
A Smith
C Frye
J Campbell
A walter

listopencil
12-27-2010, 08:27 PM

Heh, that's funny but it doesn't contradict my point. He is what he is. He's a decent QB. I'd like to keep him around if we can.

yerner
12-27-2010, 08:46 PM
I'm betting Mcdaniels hires Orton to do his gardening shirtless.

colonelbeef
12-27-2010, 09:04 PM

According to your retarded logic, any decent RB traded is worth less than what the Broncos got for Peyton Hillis

tsiguy96
12-27-2010, 09:53 PM
Why would Shanahan release a QB he could get picks for? Donovan's request to be released so he can play where he wants is ridiculous.

because capmaster shanahan just gave him a 10 million dollar option for 2011 that no one is ever going to pick up for him, which they would need to do if they trade for him.

Boltjolt
12-27-2010, 10:30 PM
i would almost bet, as in line with a lot of players traded who are intended to start for the new team, it will be a performance based trade. 4th that will escalate to a 1st (if they make super bowl), 2nd if playoffs, 3rd if winning season. something to that effect.

No one will do that. You never see from a 4th to a 1st type condition. It is usually a round higher type deal if they meet the condition.
Like when we traded Cromartie to the Jets for a 3rd. It will be upgraded to a 2nd because he has started every game. There was no condition if they made the playoffs or won the SB that it would be a first.

Mr. Elway
12-27-2010, 10:45 PM
The problem with Orton is that we have all seen his ceiling. A dependable guy who can manage an offense and make a few downfield plays is just not going to command a trade on par with Cassell et al, who are seen at the time of a trade as having as-yet untapped potential.

He is perfect as a backup, but a team without a good starting QB is probably not going to look to Orton to carry their franchise to victory. I think we'd be fortunate to figure a way to keep him on the bench for a reasonable salary, and if not, trade him for a 4th and a case of Jack.

Missouribronc
12-28-2010, 04:23 AM
because capmaster shanahan just gave him a 10 million dollar option for 2011 that no one is ever going to pick up for him, which they would need to do if they trade for him.

But the Broncos are getting a fourth, or even as high as a first for a quarterback making 9 mil?

The Moops
12-29-2010, 04:43 AM
Orton has proven that he is a more than capable QB in the right system. Some teams are desperate for a QB . . . I could see Denver getting a 3rd and maybe even a 2nd round pick (if they toss in Brady Quinn:)

Arizona
San Fran

are 2 that come to mind.