PDA

View Full Version : What can we get for Orton?

Houshyamama
12-27-2010, 12:08 PM
Vote or Die

Steve Prefontaine
12-27-2010, 12:11 PM
Related thread...

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=95919

Houshyamama
12-27-2010, 12:13 PM
Yeah my bad, scrap this thread if you want Mods.

frerottenextelway
12-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Related thread...

I like that I was called out for saying Tebow would have more trade value than Orton in that thread. It's not even close. Of course, Tebow sure as hell won't be the one getting traded.

vercingetorix
12-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Related thread...

It didnt have a poll

frerottenextelway
12-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Yeah my bad, scrap this thread if you want Mods.

No, please don't!

Steve Prefontaine
12-27-2010, 12:37 PM
It didnt have a poll

good point.

Jason in LA
12-27-2010, 12:42 PM
http://www.acpathope.org/student%20sites%202009/Unnamed%20Site%2011/graphics/1978-ford-pinto.jpg

Houshyamama
12-27-2010, 12:44 PM
http://www.acpathope.org/student%20sites%202009/Unnamed%20Site%2011/graphics/1978-ford-pinto.jpg

Done deal!

Dedhed
12-27-2010, 12:47 PM
I think there's a chance we can get a 3rd rounder. One thing working in our favor is that the 2011 QB class is pretty lame and there might t a couple of teams looking for a stop gap starter.

DrFate
12-27-2010, 12:50 PM
This poll is missing 'ham sandwich' as an option

Jason in LA
12-27-2010, 02:41 PM
I don't see Orton going for a second round pick like so many people have been saying. I'd say that a GM would be out of his mind to make that trade. 4th rounder at best.

Taco John
12-27-2010, 02:45 PM
We should keep Orton around as a solid back-up QB option.

frerottenextelway
12-27-2010, 02:50 PM
We should keep Orton around as a solid back-up QB option.

A $9 mil back-up? We'd be paying our back-up more than Drew Brees is set to earn next year.

Orton has done what he could for us, and this situation is only a very small part his fault, but it's time to turn the page in move on. Let him have a chance to start or compete elsewhere, and bring in a vet or two that comes with a league minimum price tag.

Taco John
12-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Of course not as a $9 million back up. We'd clearly need to renegotiate his contract. Nobody is paying him $9 million next year and he and his agent know it.

Likwid Kerruj
12-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Get what they can.

I still say a Orton for a 5th + swap that Miami 2nd rounder with someone ahead of them in the 2nd who needs a QB. (MIN, ARI, BUF, CLE)

They're going to have to eat some of that 9 million extension to move him though.

frerottenextelway
12-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Of course not as a $9 million back up. We'd clearly need to renegotiate his contract. Nobody is paying him $9 million next year and he and his agent know it.

Then he has the leverage to get out of his contract and compete for a starting spot elsewhere, which I think he'd take in heartbeat over backing up here.

Dagmar
12-27-2010, 02:59 PM
I said this in the other thread. Charlie Whitehurst went for a third.

BroncoInferno
12-27-2010, 03:06 PM

Why renoegotiate when he can force a trade or release and wind up with a starting job? Minnesota, in particular, looks like an excellent fit for him. He's unquestionably an upgrade over Tavoris Jackson, and they have a defense and running game that would not require him to shoulder to heavy a load. Even if they draft a QBOTF, they will want someone like Orton in the meantime because they are built to win now.

If not Minnesota, a team like San Francisco could use him as at least a bridge to a younger QB. There's no way he is going to take a pay cut to back up Tebow.

Missouribronc
12-27-2010, 03:07 PM
I said this in the other thread. Charlie Whitehurst went for a third.

Whitehurst's hair by itself could get traded for a fourth.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/07vbgbL1yfcrn/350x.jpg

All Orton has is a potential neckbeard.

tsiguy96
12-27-2010, 03:09 PM
4th + conditional pick is what id imagine

Hamrob
12-27-2010, 03:17 PM
1. Hire Harbaugh...

2. Hire Kubiak as HC with Singletary, Lewis or Phillips as D-coordinator. Allow Kubiak to focus on Tebow and the offense and the D-coordinator to have the 1st 3 rounds in the draft to go along with full support to rebuild the defense.

3. Hire Charlie Weis and ensure that he brings a top notch coaching staff with him
To me...that's a decent option.

4. Hire Ron Rivera as HC and have him hire Kubiak or Fossil as Offensive Coordinator

Regardless of the above 4 options, have Elway and Xanders oversee their progress.

Hamrob
12-27-2010, 03:17 PM
We should keep Orton around as a solid back-up QB option.Im all for that if he'll restructure. But, not at $8m next season.

Garcia Bronco
12-27-2010, 03:23 PM
I voted, but we should keep him asa our backup

Garcia Bronco
12-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Im all for that if he'll restructure. But, not at $8m next season.

Why do you even care? It amazes me that you people give a **** about what these guys get paid.

TheReverend
12-27-2010, 03:30 PM
I chose fifth, because I don't think he has a prayer of anything higher than a late 4th so it seems more accurate. Just wanted to clarify.

Taco John
12-27-2010, 03:33 PM
Why renoegotiate when he can force a trade or release and wind up with a starting job?

It really depends on whether Orton is looking for some stability, or whether he's looking to take another roll of the dice. I can't answer that for him. It's up to what Orton is looking for not only out of his next job, but out of life in general. He could likely be a solid back-up in Denver for the rest of his career and be a Kubiak, Frank Reich kind of guy who retires with the franchise. In Kubiak's case, he went on to a much longer career in coaching.

Any starting job Orton lands is always going to be the same experience for him. He may start for awhile, but the next young hotshot is going to always be breathing down his neck, and he's always going to end up wondering what he has to do to earn the respect of a starter. God bless him, I don't see him ever answering that question in a way that will satisfy him chasing a starting job. As a back-up, though, the guy would be beloved by this fanbase, the same way Kubiak was.

So yeah, you're right that Orton can force the issue and go somewhere else to chase the white whale. And maybe it would make sense for him too. Only he can really answer that.

Taco John
12-27-2010, 03:34 PM
With that contract, we can't get anything for him.

Zero draft picks.

zdoor
12-27-2010, 03:36 PM
I am hoping at least a 4th (with a possibility of a 3rd if he performs) but it might be a long shot...

Hamrob
12-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Why do you even care? It amazes me that you people give a **** about what these guys get paid.Because, this Organization is not full of money. That means...if we pay Orton $8m/yr...we're taking away from other areas where we could use that cash. It's called business 101. What rock do "All you people" crawl out from???

BroncoInferno
12-27-2010, 04:38 PM
With that contract, we can't get anything for him.

Zero draft picks.

Actually, $8 million is very reasonable for a solid starting QB. A sizable portion of that is probably bonus money, meaning the team trading for him would probably only have to pay $5 or $6 million (that's just a guess). If it did become a problem, I am sure he would be willing to restructure to facilitate a trade.

Vegas_Bronco
12-27-2010, 04:44 PM
Keep him and restructure his contract for longterm signing...he's the best backup we've had these past 2 games. We.could package him together with a WR and try to pickup a solid DT or NT.

BroncoInferno
12-27-2010, 04:44 PM
It really depends on whether Orton is looking for some stability, or whether he's looking to take another roll of the dice. I can't answer that for him. It's up to what Orton is looking for not only out of his next job, but out of life in general. He could likely be a solid back-up in Denver for the rest of his career and be a Kubiak, Frank Reich kind of guy who retires with the franchise. In Kubiak's case, he went on to a much longer career in coaching.

Any starting job Orton lands is always going to be the same experience for him. He may start for awhile, but the next young hotshot is going to always be breathing down his neck, and he's always going to end up wondering what he has to do to earn the respect of a starter. God bless him, I don't see him ever answering that question in a way that will satisfy him chasing a starting job. As a back-up, though, the guy would be beloved by this fanbase, the same way Kubiak was.

So yeah, you're right that Orton can force the issue and go somewhere else to chase the white whale. And maybe it would make sense for him too. Only he can really answer that.

I doubt there is a QB in the league that would settle for a sure-fire backup role when there are starting opportunities (or, at the very least, opportunities to compete for a starting job) available to him. What kind of competitor would be content with a career riding the pine? Kubiak played in the pre-free agency era. If he had ever had the chance to sign with the team of his choosing and been offered a legit chance to be the starter, I highly doubt he would have passed it up in order to hold the clipboard for a durable Hall of Famer.

Garcia Bronco
12-27-2010, 04:56 PM
Because, this Organization is not full of money. That means...if we pay Orton $8m/yr...we're taking away from other areas where we could use that cash. It's called business 101. What rock do "All you people" crawl out from???

Not in this case. they get the money for the players via revenue sharing. 8 mill for a bonafide backup is a good deal.

uplink
12-27-2010, 05:04 PM
lucky to get a 6th for him. If Josh is hired as OC for a team like cleveland that needs a QB, maybe more.

outdoor_miner
12-27-2010, 06:00 PM
FYI - I live in Seattle, and John Clayton is a regular on sports talk out here. The host brought up the possibility of bringing Orton in next year (he actually sounded pretty excited about it), and Clayton said something to the effect that you can "probably get Orton for a 2nd or 3rd", and that a 4th for Orton would be a really good deal for the Seahawaks.

I know Clayton knows jack **** about the game of football, but it was interesting to hear him say what Orton's value is.

Clayton also took the opportunity to offer numerous back-handed compliments about Tebow's performance, including that Tebow "managed to drop back and throw the ball in the vicinity of his receivers a few times", but that's another story... :egbgb:

Likwid Kerruj
12-27-2010, 06:04 PM
Upon further review, I'd trade Orton straight up for that Bottoms Up beer filler thing.

oubronco
12-27-2010, 06:17 PM
Trade him for a good D-lineman or keep him

listopencil
12-27-2010, 08:15 PM
Ha, some of you people are going to **** your pants if Orton is our starter next year. I think we need two QB's capable of actually playing in the NFL on our roster. Orton is one. Tebow looks like he'll be another through two rookie starts. Quinn looks worthless. I really hope the Broncos aren't planning on getting rid of Orton.

listopencil
12-27-2010, 08:17 PM
Oh, for what it's worth, wasn't Orton tendered at one first round pick last time he was signed? That's what I'm going for in the poll then.

Pick Six
12-28-2010, 12:20 AM
lucky to get a 6th for him. If Josh is hired as OC for a team like cleveland that needs a QB, maybe more.

Did you even watch the games, this year? Orton is worth MUCH more than a 6th...Yikes!

zdoor
12-28-2010, 07:58 AM
Upon further review, I'd trade Orton straight up for that Bottoms Up beer filler thing.

I'm with you... That thing was cool.

briane
12-28-2010, 11:32 AM
I think if we traded him now, he would be worth.....two in the bush.

missingnumber7
12-28-2010, 12:31 PM
I swift kick to the genitals would be all anyone might offer.

maven
12-28-2010, 12:42 PM

What the heck? Where's the competitive spirit? Orton is only 28 years old and can play in this league. If Tebow is going to be the guy, it's best for Orton and the Broncos to part ways. Last I checked, Orton didn't seem to thrilled being removed from starting QB.

maven
12-28-2010, 12:44 PM
4th rounder at best.

I'm thinking 4th round pick.

bronco militia
12-28-2010, 12:46 PM
I think he'll be released

Taco John
12-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Actually, $8 million is very reasonable for a solid starting QB.

Would you trade any draft picks in order to have the opportunity to pay Orton $8 million for a season? I'd like to know what team is going to want to do that.

If it did become a problem, I am sure he would be willing to restructure to facilitate a trade.

What would his incentive for doing that be? I'm having a hard time understanding why he'd go for that.

frerottenextelway
12-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Would you trade any draft picks in order to have the opportunity to pay Orton $8 million for a season? I'd like to know what team is going to want to do that.

What would his incentive for doing that be? I'm having a hard time understanding why he'd go for that.

The trade would happen with Orton agreeing on a restructure with his new team. Orton would likely be happy to do this as he would get to compete to start next year, instead of either sitting on our bench or getting released by us late and being behind the curve.

bendog
12-28-2010, 02:44 PM
Imo he has some value. I doubt they can get a two for him, but McNabb will find a home. Detroit's gotta have doubts about Stafford's health. Carson Palmer?

But if it saves a few million to just cut the guy, I can see that happening. I almost hope so, cause he's not been a cancer like person or raped anyone, and it'd be nice for him to find his own spot, though I think he'll end up on a pretty bad team where he'll be the starter.

edit, with reference to TJ's post, I assumed Den could trade him and agree to pay some of his salary for say a third rd pick. But maybe teams can't send money too anymore.

Mountain Bronco
12-28-2010, 03:39 PM
Because, this Organization is not full of money. That means...if we pay Orton $8m/yr...we're taking away from other areas where we could use that cash. It's called business 101. What rock do "All you people" crawl out from???

Exactly it matters because it is a piece of the pie and the pie is only so big. I don't care what they make, but do care how much of the cap room they take up which equals I care what they make relative to the cap.

Houshyamama
04-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Vote if you already haven't.

ColoradoDarin
04-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Vote if you already haven't.

Shefter said that players can't be traded until Monday, so any scenario will be for future draft picks (if there is a draft).

Houshyamama
04-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Shefter said that players can't be traded until Monday, so any scenario will be for future draft picks (if there is a draft).

Ah, good to know. Well not good, but thanks for the info.