PDA

View Full Version : Jim Fassel will be on Vic and Gary

BMarsh615
12-27-2010, 06:18 AM
Jim Fassel - a Broncos coaching candidate - joining vicandgary at 8:15 this morning. 87.7 the ticket.

https://twitter.com/VicLombardi/status/20126689526808577

Listen to it Here

http://www.vicandgary.com/

*Disclaimer: The thread title and OP has been changed. This thread was originally about Xanders being on 87.7 The Ticket.*

tsiguy96
12-27-2010, 06:19 AM
interesting...ill listen

Cmac821
12-27-2010, 06:57 AM
interesting...ill listen

and post a summary covering all key points, thanks your so nice

tsiguy96
12-27-2010, 07:03 AM
and post a summary covering all key points, thanks your so nice

sir yes sir?

tsiguy96
12-27-2010, 07:13 AM
xanders said tebow has done well with his opportunities...

talking about josh liking tebow and what xanders though, josh was intrigued by watching him on TV, great interview on combine, tebow and josh hit it off, great football minds and energy, flew him to denver and had a great all day interview, then they flew to gainesville for 6 hours to teach him scheme and protections and he did good. went to see demaryius, and tried to figure out strategy of where he would go in the draft. strategy that morning to move back to collect a bunch of picks, draft demaryius, then move back up to 1st/2nd to get tebow.

talking about intangibles and all that stuff, then throwing motion.

background is perceived as salary cap guy, but xanders says that a big misconception. 17 seasons in the league, dan reeves coaching staff for 5 years, learned def off and STs, lost a SB against elway his 2nd year coaching. moved to personnel from 02-08, unique job doing college scouting, cross check evals, go on road scouting, then did pro personnel FA, then did contract research on the side. 90% of his job now is watching tape and evaluating players. in 08, shanahan hired him to do all 3.

leaving his future up to pat and joe at end of season. would love to be here, loves the org but will wait to see what happens if hes still here.

VG: no secret josh had final say, how did that process work?
draft: college scouting dept, december and feb meetings, set board going into combine, xanders and mcd would evaluate and they would get together, there was some disagreements but mostly agreements, mcd had final say. always ready with shortlist of vets and younger players in pro personnel. in FA, they get together and execute their plan.

VG: can expect den to not trade away draft choices, rely more on draft and less on vets?
with me, plan would be to try and acquire more selections and build team through draft. younger players on the roster, develop tehm with your scheme then retain those players. invest in your own draft picks and develop them. gonna need some replacements for team needs and injuries.

VG: is tebow future?
hes in his 2nd game, well see where he goes.

VG: player that broncos let go, polarizing figure, peyton hillis.
thing on that id rather not say publicly, but hes done a great job in cleveland. wont answer anything else.

CEH
12-27-2010, 07:18 AM
Sounded to me like the Hillis decisison was more than just a pure football decisison. He said there were other things that went on and he didn't want to go there (paraphrasing).

BroncoInferno
12-27-2010, 07:50 AM
Sounded to me like the Hillis decisison was more than just a pure football decisison. He said there were other things that went on and he didn't want to go there (paraphrasing).

Right or wrong, it was pretty evident that McD didn't think Hillis had the brains to execute his scheme. Hillis also had attitude issues at Arkansas and I'm sure that wasn't cured just because he was drafted into the NFL. Never came right out and said any of that, of course, but that seemed to be the gist.

vanbrugh
12-27-2010, 08:04 AM
There's been loads of PR stuff with Brian over the last couple of weeks. This is your new GM folks and for what it's worth i think he'll get it done!

vercingetorix
12-27-2010, 08:05 AM
After listening, Ill admit I feel a little better about him but Im not all the way there.

chawknz
12-27-2010, 08:12 AM
The Hillis comment was telling. There is a juicy story there somewhere...

vercingetorix
12-27-2010, 08:16 AM
The Hillis comment was telling. There is a juicy story there somewhere...

Im still not giving them a pass on that. Its too easy to make false insunations and then hide behind "its an internal matter".

coachmastermind
12-27-2010, 08:32 AM
I've never seen it on the Mane, but read it other places, and heard Dan Patrick mention it... but there are reports that Hillis hit on McD's wife (maybe unknowingly).

http://readandreact.net/2010/12/02/did-peyton-hillis-hit-on-josh-mcdaniels-wife/

tsiguy96
12-27-2010, 08:34 AM
I've never seen it on the Mane, but read it other places, and heard Dan Patrick mention it... but there are reports that Hillis hit on McD's wife (maybe unknowingly).

http://readandreact.net/2010/12/02/did-peyton-hillis-hit-on-josh-mcdaniels-wife/

UPDATE: We have confirmed with 104.3 the Fan in Denver that this rumor is 100% False. See here for more details.
fyi

montrose
12-27-2010, 09:27 AM

lol, I heard this rumor a while back and kept it to myself. Seems its been debunked but where there's smoke... their may be fire.

rocket88
12-27-2010, 09:41 AM
fyi

I was listening to 104.3 the day that this was discussed and Dmac is right....
Scherleth and Alfred Williams did not say anything about this rumor. It was Dmac himself that mentioned it on the air and he was very clear about it. He said that Hillis hit on McDaniels' wife before he knew who she was.

Once again..... Dmac said it and everyone that was listening heard it. It's silly for him to now deny it.

titan
12-27-2010, 11:45 AM
After listening, Ill admit I feel a little better about him but Im not all the way there.

I felt the same way after listening to the interview. Xanders came across well, I thought. Still I am curious how much input he had on the past draft choices. If he had anything to do with trading a future #1 to draft Alphonso, for example, I don't want him as GM. Though from his interview he wants to stockpile picks, rather than trade them away.

It will be another interesting off season in Bronco land. The media that follows the team must love this. If nothing else McD gave them alot of material to write/report about.

BMarsh615
12-29-2010, 06:49 AM
Bump changed thread title and OP.

Jim Fassel - a Broncos coaching candidate - joining vicandgary at 8:15 this morning. 87.7 the ticket.

CEH
12-29-2010, 06:54 AM
Bump changed thread title and OP.

Don't expect much. Fassell has said he won't talk about Tebow or anything specific about the state of the Broncos because he might get an interview

Kaylore
12-29-2010, 06:58 AM
Probably should have started a new thread since changing the title and content of the first post will just confuse people about the content.

tsiguy96
12-29-2010, 07:01 AM
yea, kinda undues the discussion of xanders in this thread!

BMarsh615
12-29-2010, 07:03 AM
My bad. I put a disclaimer in the OP so people don't get confused.

tsiguy96
12-29-2010, 07:05 AM
My bad. I put a disclaimer in the OP so people don't get confused.

that assumes people actually read the posts! bad assumption to make ^5

Los Broncos
12-29-2010, 07:39 AM
What does McDaniels wife look like anyways?

tsiguy96
12-29-2010, 07:41 AM

that was proven 100% incorrect

Los Broncos
12-29-2010, 07:43 AM
that was proven 100% incorrect

I was just wondering because I might want some action.

bowtown
12-29-2010, 07:51 AM
Now that you mention it, I have never seen Xanders and Fassel in the same place, at the same time. You don't think...

BigPlayShay
12-29-2010, 08:22 AM
Interview for those interested: http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=96&c=740&f=65755

Pony Boy
12-29-2010, 08:58 AM
Right or wrong, it was pretty evident that McD didn't think Hillis had the brains to execute his scheme. Hillis also had attitude issues at Arkansas and I'm sure that wasn't cured just because he was drafted into the NFL. Never came right out and said any of that, of course, but that seemed to be the gist.

Link please to his attitude issues at Arkansas, I was a season ticket holder at Arkansas while Hillis was there and actually sat next to another member of the Mane during the game. From what we saw Hillis probably had the best attitude on the field, but if you had inside info I would be interested in reading it.

Beantown Bronco
12-29-2010, 09:01 AM

http://blog.cleveland.com/bransonwright/2009/01/large_bc12367226_josh2_01132009.jpg

Broncoman13
12-29-2010, 10:06 AM
So what did Fassel have to say?

Hamrob
12-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Interview for those interested: http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=96&c=740&f=65755Maybe it's just me...but, he sounded like a blithering idiot!

I'm sure he's a better coach than he is a mouthpiece, but damn he sounded like a dumbass.

Hamrob
12-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Likes his job
Many GM's say that the UFL is full of talent and they are scouting it more and more
30+ UFL guys are now in the NFL
Gano was his kicker last year
Haushka was his kicker this year
Several of his players could have played for him in the NFL
Bad blood from Baltimore job...didn't elaborate
Won't comment on Denver job...just doesn't do that
Thinks Elway will do well...has football in his blood...coaches son
Thinks McD just needs to evaluate what he can improve on and except responsibility for the things he didn't do so well
Studesville was his RB coach in NY
His son coaches for the Raiders

BigPlayShay
12-29-2010, 10:13 AM
Likes his job
Many GM's say that the UFL is full of talent and they are scouting it more and more
30+ UFL guys are now in the NFL
Gano was his kicker last year
Haushka was his kicker this year
Several of his players could have played for him in the NFL
Bad blood from Baltimore job...didn't elaborate
Won't comment on Denver job...just doesn't do that
Thinks Elway will do well...has football in his blood...coaches son
Thinks McD just needs to evaluate what he can improve on and except responsibility for the things he didn't do so well
Studesville was his RB coach in NY
His son coaches for the Raiders

Also, contrary to rumors, he has interviewed for and discussed coordinator jobs in the NFL.

FISH
12-29-2010, 10:25 AM
Maybe it's just me...but, he sounded like a blithering idiot!

I'm sure he's a better coach than he is a mouthpiece, but damn he sounded like a dumbass.

?

I didn't get that impression. I've had an opportunity to see him in action and talk with him here in Las Vegas (I called all the home games in the press box for the Las Vegas Loco's) and I was impressed with the guy. He's pretty down to earth and has a pretty good relationship with his players.

bronco_diesel
12-29-2010, 10:37 AM
Maybe it's just me...but, he sounded like a blithering idiot!

I think it's just you. He sounded pretty grounded to me....

Los Broncos
12-29-2010, 12:02 PM
http://blog.cleveland.com/bransonwright/2009/01/large_bc12367226_josh2_01132009.jpg

Eh, hair is to short and she doesn't have a tan.

gobroncos313
12-29-2010, 05:40 PM
I think he sounded very articulate, a football guy who has a lot of coaching experience is what he sounded like to me.

I liked what he said about being a Head Coach. He said in interviews sometimes they will say, we're looking for a defensive or offensive minded head coach to lead this team. He called Bu115hit on that. He said a Head Coach is a Head Coach. I agree with that 100%. How many times have you seen a team hire an excellent D coordinator only to have a defense that sucked or vise versa with an OCord.

The reason I say this is because everyone is saying we need a Def minded coach and I don't necessarily agree. We need the best head coach we can get, its different. He can then get a darn good D coordinator and let him do his job.

Elway said in an interview in the past week that the biggest thing the Broncos D needs is some continuity. These guys have been in out of several different systems and d Coordinators over the past few years and it has wreaked havoc on our defense. The guys, especially the younger ones, can't get comfortable in a system. I can totally agree with this.

I think maybe we should keep Wink, he hasn't done that bad considering all the injures and it being his first year. There's been several games where being left on the filed too dang much was our D's biggest problem. Look at the difference in our D against Houston in the 1st half compared to the 2nd half when our offense sustained some drives. I think with Wink in his 2nd year, Dumerville back and a few more additions our D will be much improved.

I do think that Fassel is a leading candidate for the HC job because:
1. He has history with the Broncos and he was Bolins next choice after Shanahan in 93.
2. He has a proven record of success as a HC in the NFL. I have said this before and at this point we do not have the luxury to take a chance on an unproved coordinator or college coach. No matter how good the coordinators are at their respective job there is just lot more misses than hits with them. We need a proven NFL HC who has had success such as Fassel.
3. He is available, wants the job, and would not be overly expensive as far as experience NFL coaches.
4. It is becoming blatantly obvious that Tebow is our future franchise QB. Elway had a very, very positive experience with Fassel in High School, college and with the Broncos. Elway knows first hand what Fassel can do for Tebow.

At this point especially with the news, not sure if its true, that Kubiak is staying in Houston I think Fassel will be our next Head Coach.

~Crash~
12-29-2010, 05:48 PM
I think he sounded very articulate, a football guy who has a lot of coaching experience is what he sounded like to me.

I liked what he said about being a Head Coach. He said in interviews sometimes they will say, we're looking for a defensive or offensive minded head coach to lead this team. He called Bu115hit on that. He said a Head Coach is a Head Coach. I agree with that 100%. How many times have you seen a team hire an excellent D coordinator only to have a defense that sucked or vise versa with an OCord.

The reason I say this is because everyone is saying we need a Def minded coach and I don't necessarily agree. We need the best head coach we can get, its different. He can then get a darn good D coordinator and let him do his job.

Elway said in an interview in the past week that the biggest thing the Broncos D needs is some continuity. These guys have been in out of several different systems and d Coordinators over the past few years and it has wreaked havoc on our defense. The guys, especially the younger ones, can't get comfortable in a system. I can totally agree with this.

I think maybe we should keep Wink, he hasn't done that bad considering all the injures and it being his first year. There's been several games where being left on the filed too dang much was our D's biggest problem. Look at the difference in our D against Houston in the 1st half compared to the 2nd half when our offense sustained some drives. I think with Wink in his 2nd year, Dumerville back and a few more additions our D will be much improved.

I do think that Fassel is a leading candidate for the HC job because:
1. He has history with the Broncos and he was Bolins next choice after Shanahan in 93.
2. He has a proven record of success as a HC in the NFL. I have said this before and at this point we do not have the luxury to take a chance on an unproved coordinator or college coach. No matter how good the coordinators are at their respective job there is just lot more misses than hits with them. We need a proven NFL HC who has had success such as Fassel.
3. He is available, wants the job, and would not be overly expensive as far as experience NFL coaches.
4. It is becoming blatantly obvious that Tebow is our future franchise QB. Elway had a very, very positive experience with Fassel in High School, college and with the Broncos. Elway knows first hand what Fassel can do for Tebow.

At this point especially with the news, not sure if its true, that Kubiak is staying in Houston I think Fassel will be our next Head Coach.

great post .:thumbs:

Hamrob
12-29-2010, 07:06 PM
I think it's just you. He sounded pretty grounded to me....Maybe. I suppose we could do worse.

Hamrob
12-29-2010, 07:08 PM
?

I didn't get that impression. I've had an opportunity to see him in action and talk with him here in Las Vegas (I called all the home games in the press box for the Las Vegas Loco's) and I was impressed with the guy. He's pretty down to earth and has a pretty good relationship with his players.Well, I'll take your word for it then. It makes sense that Elway would like him, they have a great relationship. But, it worries me, when no other NFL team has come calling and it's been years since he was in NY.