PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Contracts/Cap 2011 (if there is a season)

eddie mac
12-26-2010, 10:33 PM
Dumervil $14m base salary (guaranteed)
Orton $9m total ($2.879m guaranteed)
Kuper $7m base salary (guaranteed)
Tebow $6.7m )all guaranteed)
Dawkins $6m base salary (Voidable)
Graham $5.4m
DJ Williams $4.7m
Jamal Williams $4m
Bannan $4m

If there is a season in 2011 there will certainly be a cap and as at September/October the Broncos had approx $106.5m committed to that for the 2011 season with 44 players under contract.

In comparison the new AFC West Champs have only $64m counting for next year and approx only 8 other teams would have more counting against the cap than us at present for next season.

Notable free agents in 2011 include

Champ
Ryan Harris
Maroney
Fields
McBean
Prater
Marcus Thomas
Vickerson
Woodyard

So looks like McD left us in pretty bad shape not only on the field but off it as well in the old contracts dept.

montrose
12-26-2010, 10:36 PM
I see Dawk, Graham, Jamal and maybe Bannan as out. Hopefully a trade partner for Orton is found. Per FA, I still get the feeling Champ can be kept if the team wants to keep him. Outside of Prater and (for the right price) Harris - the rest of those clowns can hit the road.

eddie mac
12-26-2010, 10:37 PM
I'd like this stickied if possible because over the coming months the thread will be updated in full detail.

NFLBRONCO
12-26-2010, 10:38 PM
Graham $5.4m
DJ Williams $4.7m
Jamal Williams $4m
Bannan $4m

If there is a season in 2011 there will certainly be a cap and as at September/October the Broncos had approx $106.5m committed to that for the 2011 season with 44 players under contract.

In comparison the new AFC West Champs have only $64m counting for next year and approx only 8 other teams would have more counting against the cap than us at present for next season.

Champ
Ryan Harris
Maroney
Fields
McBean
Prater
Marcus Thomas
Vickerson
Woodyard

So looks like McD left us in pretty bad shape not only on the field but off it as well in the old contracts dept.

I thought we were in good shape contract wise crap

eddie mac
12-26-2010, 10:43 PM
I thought we were in good shape contract wise crap

We'd be okay if Pat was getting value for money. He isn't and we aren't either.

No-one pays a TE $5m who cant catch and no-one should be paying 2 DL $4m a piece who cant run defend or pressurise the QB and not in our current system.

Not a lot we can do about Dumervil. That was just pure bad luck, giving him a $70m contract and then he gets hurt. At $14m a year for the next 2 seasons he'd better come back 100% and we'd better stick to a system that suits his play otherwise he'll be terrible value too, plus we cannot afford to carry 2 QB's on over $6m for next year. Orton will most likely be dealt but his salary may be a stumbling block or indeed lower the value of compensation.

jebures
12-26-2010, 10:43 PM
Graham $5.4m
DJ Williams $4.7m
Jamal Williams $4m
Bannan $4m

Champ
Ryan Harris
Maroney
Fields
McBean
Prater
Marcus Thomas
Vickerson
Woodyard

cut graham, dawkins, and trade orton, cut jamal williams saves over 24 million right there. Re-Sign Champ, Harris, Prater, Thomas, and Vickerson and switch to a 4-3

bronco militia
12-26-2010, 10:44 PM
how do you figure each teams cap # (limit) in 2011?

eddie mac
12-26-2010, 10:45 PM
Switching to a 4-3 makes Dumervil the highest paid bust in football.

eddie mac
12-26-2010, 10:46 PM

It's the amount of money all of their contracted players for 2011 will earn as of Sept/Oct time, i.e base salaries, prorated bonuses and bonuses set to hit in 2011.

Lev Vyvanse
12-26-2010, 10:47 PM
Graham $5.4m
DJ Williams $4.7m
Jamal Williams $4m
Bannan $4m

Champ
Ryan Harris
Maroney
Fields
McBean
Prater
Marcus Thomas
Vickerson
Woodyard

Pink = GTFO
Red = I don't know
Orange = want more!!!!!

snowspot66
12-26-2010, 10:47 PM

You don't without a CBA figured out. You can bet it won't be less though. If the owners want 18 games they won't get it by offering a smaller cap. Especially with a rookie pay scale in place.

NFLBRONCO
12-26-2010, 10:48 PM
We'd be okay if Pat was getting value for money. He isn't and we aren't either.

No-one pays a TE $5m who cant catch and no-one should be paying 2 DL $4m a piece who cant run defend or pressurise the QB and not in our current system.

Not a lot we can do about Dumervil. That was just pure bad luck, giving him a $70m contract and then he gets hurt. At $14m a year for the next 2 seasons he'd better come back 100% and we'd better stick to a system that suits his play otherwise he'll be terrible value too, plus we cannot afford to carry 2 QB's on over $6m for next year. Orton will most likely be dealt but his salary may be a stumbling block or indeed lower the value of compensation.

Ugh we are a mess

broncsyanks
12-26-2010, 10:51 PM
i bet orton will be traded to the dolphins. wow. thats some good info on the cap numbers. grahm is a bust. sorry we dont need to pay a TE that kind of money in a system that doesnt throw him the ball.

bronco militia
12-26-2010, 10:54 PM
i bet orton will be traded to the dolphins. wow. thats some good info on the cap numbers. grahm is a bust. sorry we dont need to pay a TE that kind of money in a system that doesnt throw him the ball.

wtf? they throw him the ball and he drops it

snowspot66
12-26-2010, 10:54 PM

Well the system will be different but he's not worth it either way.

brncs_fan
12-26-2010, 11:02 PM
DJ Williams $4.7m
Jamal Williams $4m
Bannan $4m

Champ
Ryan Harris
Prater
Vickerson

Who I see as still on the team next year.

lostknight
12-26-2010, 11:16 PM
Wow. Given all of the positive BS coming from the front office by way of the press-box, this is depressing. Just wow.

We better hope for a really damn good set of rookie salary caps, and start trading for picks. I think we need to keep Champ around, and that will do nothing but add cash drain.

Boomhauer
12-26-2010, 11:57 PM
A complete list should be stickied, not just players of your interest.

Broncos_OTM
12-27-2010, 12:10 AM

Dont you mean situational player. Doom is well worth the money. just need to shore up the LB spot behind him if we play 4-3

eddie mac
12-27-2010, 07:23 AM
A complete list should be stickied, not just players of your interest.

Gimme a chance, this isn't copyright or copied from anywhere, this is my own work put together from various media sources with individual calculations of remaining prorated bonuses.

Old Dude
12-27-2010, 08:21 AM

Bingo.

elsid13
12-27-2010, 09:04 AM
We need to seriously think about moving Doom to 3/4 team if Denver goes back to 4-3 front.

Broncoman13
12-27-2010, 10:45 AM
We need to seriously think about moving Doom to 3/4 team if Denver goes back to 4-3 front.

I think Doom is a better fit in a 3-4. But if 90% of your players are a better fit in a 4-3 and you know that Doom CAN be effective in a 4-3, why not make the move back. 2007... Doom had 12.5 sacks as a DE in a 4-3. 26 sacks over a 3 year span in a 4-3.

My issue with Doom is his motor runs hot and cold. I think he wears down. It wasn't a smart move to give him such a big contract b/c in truth he is a situational player.

Eddie Mac, thanks for breaking down the team's salary situation. You would think this would be reason enough to get rid of "X"!

I think there are definitely some players on that list that we can cut and save some good money. Orton, Dawkins, and Graham are the ones that come to mind. I wouldn't mind keeping Graham at a reduced rate, but my guess is he would bolt to a team like the Falcons or even the Chefs and help their run game even more. But those three cuts would give you the room to resign Champ, Vickerson, Prater, and Thomas.

I am a little more pleased with Jamal Williams than most I suppose. I think he has played decently this year. In fact, I think our biggest issues have more to do with our LB and Safety play. OLBs losing contain or not setting the edge and safeties not stepping in to fill gaps are huge issues with this team. We need improved safety play.

colonelbeef
12-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Is there any single way McDaniels did not **** this franchise up? Good lord

oubronco
12-27-2010, 11:53 AM
I see Dawk, Graham, Jamal and maybe Bannan as out. Hopefully a trade partner for Orton is found. Per FA, I still get the feeling Champ can be kept if the team wants to keep him. Outside of Prater and (for the right price) Harris - the rest of those clowns can hit the road.

Bannan is hands down our best D-lineman and will be here next year

gunns
12-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Pink = GTFO
Red = I don't know
Orange = want more!!!!!

Agree but I'm wondering with Dawkins if he wasn't hurt all year. No matter, if he goes I wouldn't say GTFO. I appreciate what he did last year. And not real sure on DJ.

Likwid Kerruj
12-27-2010, 12:28 PM
What about Jarvis Green?

eddie mac
12-27-2010, 12:35 PM
What about Jarvis Green?

What about him??? He got all his money last season.

Denver724
12-27-2010, 03:38 PM
Graham $5.4m
DJ Williams $4.7m
Jamal Williams $4m
Bannan $4m

Champ
Ryan Harris
Maroney
Fields
McBean
Prater
Marcus Thomas
Vickerson
Woodyard

Champ, Harris and Prater are key. I think Harris will draw a lot of interest and big money. We need a strong RT to protect Tebow's blind side.

Killericon
12-27-2010, 11:10 PM
Pink = GTFO
Red = I don't know
Orange = want more!!!!!

You're kidding about Ryan Harris, right?

Lev Vyvanse
12-27-2010, 11:54 PM

Nope.

cmhargrove
12-28-2010, 01:03 PM
I like me some Vickerson also. He has been one of my favorite players to watch during this crappy season. I love freaky big d-linemen that play "mean.". I hope they find a spot for Vickerson.

Kaylore
12-28-2010, 01:59 PM
Is there any single way McDaniels did not **** this franchise up? Good lord

Demarius Thomas, Brandon Lloyd, Tim Tebow, Cox and Thompson, Colquitt, Kuper signed, Dumervil signed, Dumervil to the 3-4, The receiving coaching, the QB coaching, the secondary coaching. And Dawkins was great last year, so I don't think that was a bad move at all. We knew he was almost done. Would you rather have Marlon McCree back there?

BoulderBum
01-04-2011, 09:55 AM
What are the contract status's of Royal, Goodman, Haggan, and Graham after the 2011 season? I would assume that Royal is a restricted FA, but that could be all blown up by the CBA?

orange crusher
01-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Would you rather have Marlon McCree back there?

Did you really have to bring those memories back? Why didn't you add Calvin Lowry as well and really ruin my day!

LongDongJohnson
01-05-2011, 07:00 PM
who's the smart guy that gave daniel graham all of that money

ayjackson
01-12-2011, 12:33 PM
who's the smart guy that gave daniel graham all of that money

not guaranteed though is it? Assuming he`ll be cut and maybe brought back on a cheap deal as a blocking TE.

adamh
01-24-2011, 02:25 PM

I can't see Champ wanting to stay. It will take some convincing

Riley
01-30-2011, 10:55 AM

I agree. I keep hearing folks say we are now a 4-3 team... but I have not heard the coach say it. I think a hybrid is gonna be installed... but expect to see a LOT of the 3-4. The new DC said he wants to use a scheme that fits the players... not force the players to fit into a new scheme.

Riley
01-30-2011, 11:01 AM

Harris contract is up... dude is a free agent.

If I remember right... Elway is making noise that Harris is not gonna be resigned.

Riley
01-30-2011, 11:05 AM
At TE Graham nor Quinn either one can catch a pass... they BOTH need to go... and we pick up a true pass catching TE for Tebow to work with. Plenty pass catching Free Agent TE's out there.

Problem is the draft will be done before the CBA this year.. so it will be interesting to see if they Draft a stud pass catching TE late round or not.

Graham needs to go, though. Not sure what Quinn's salary is.

Ratboy
01-30-2011, 03:25 PM

This is what I am worried about.

Is there possibility of a trade?

Ratboy
01-30-2011, 03:28 PM
I agree. I keep hearing folks say we are now a 4-3 team... but I have not heard the coach say it. I think a hybrid is gonna be installed... but expect to see a LOT of the 3-4. The new DC said he wants to use a scheme that fits the players... not force the players to fit into a new scheme.

Both Fox and Allen are 4-3 guys.

eddie mac
01-30-2011, 05:37 PM
This is what I am worried about.

Is there possibility of a trade?

I somehow doubt it considering so much of his money is guaranteed and he's due a $14m base salary this season.

Riley
01-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Both Fox and Allen are 4-3 guys.

Never said they were not.
Deal is...
neither one of them has said definitivly that we will go to the 4-3...
and Allen specificly said he'd tailor a system to fit the players we do have.

A hybrid is a distinct possibility in 2011..
that plays off the strength of Doom.

errand
01-31-2011, 08:58 AM

I'm not saying he's worth all he's being paid.....however....

Daniel Graham is recognized league wide as one of the NFL's best blocking TE's....sure he's no Tony Scheffler in the receiving dept...but he's also no Tony Scheffler in the blocking dept....and is it his fault the coach doesn't use him as a receiving weapon?

Riley
01-31-2011, 09:32 AM
I'm not saying he's worth all he's being paid.....however....

Daniel Graham is recognized league wide as one of the NFL's best blocking TE's....sure he's no Tony Scheffler in the receiving dept...but he's also no Tony Scheffler in the blocking dept....and is it his fault the coach doesn't use him as a receiving weapon?

Both Graham and the other Rookie TE Quinn... they both have hands of stone.
There were a LOT of passes dropped by our TE's this season.

It is the main, most glaring need on offense. In Tebow's college career...
he relied heavily on being able to dump off to his TE.

We need a new Shannon Sharpe... ;D

BroncoInferno
01-31-2011, 09:59 AM

That's just absurd. People act like Doom was worthless in the 4-3. He had 12.5 sacks in the 4-3 in 2007. Besides, listening to Fox and Allen talk, it sounds like we will be running a hybrid system anyway. They keep emphasizing that they will develope a scheme that suits the talent. Fox is not a dumbass; he isn't doctronaire about his defensive philosophy...he will utilize Doom effectively.

eddie mac
01-31-2011, 12:49 PM
That's just absurd. People act like Doom was worthless in the 4-3. He had 12.5 sacks in the 4-3 in 2007. Besides, listening to Fox and Allen talk, it sounds like we will be running a hybrid system anyway. They keep emphasizing that they will develope a scheme that suits the talent. Fox is not a dumbass; he isn't doctronaire about his defensive philosophy...he will utilize Doom effectively.

He's one of the highest paid defensive players in football, if Fox can get anywhere near the same productivity from him in a different system and coming off that injury I'll certainly tip my hat to him.

BroncoMan4ever
01-31-2011, 02:45 PM

i'd add Woodyard to the keepers list because he is a hell of a ST player and a decent sub on defense.

there will be demand for Orton unless the CBA puts teams in a situation in which everyone will be in a wait and see attitude towards paying players and trading players.

primetime714
01-31-2011, 03:12 PM

Agreed. I can't think of a feasible system in which Doom would be a bust. The guy is one of the best pass rushers in the game and he'll be working with a head coach that is known for working with and developing great pass rushers. Even in terrible systems with bad defensive coordinators (and a new DC every year of his career) Doom has had consistent success in this league. Getting Doom healthy would have the single greatest impact on this defense even more so than whoever we take at #2.

cutthemdown
01-31-2011, 11:26 PM
too much too sort through. Going to just wait it out and see what Elway and Xanders do with the team. Looking at that list guys like Graham could be in trouble for sure.

~Crash~
02-01-2011, 12:25 AM
Harris contract is up... dude is a free agent.

If I remember right... Elway is making noise that Harris is not gonna be resigned.

link?

Requiem
02-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Kyle Orton's Numbers, Per RotoWorld:

Updating previous items, Kyle Orton is scheduled to receive nearly $9 million in 2011 salary and bonuses.

The total is $8.879 million, coming from a $7.379 million base salary and a $1.5 million offseason roster bonus. Orton is good enough to warrant the bonus, but we can't imagine the Broncos paying Orton the nearly $7.4 million salary if Tim Tebow is the starting quarterback in 2011. They're likely to listen to all trade proposals once a new CBA is finalized.

Denver724
07-19-2011, 06:10 AM
Article in the Post today about the Broncos cap situation (below). Much different than what I expected. It won't be a spending spree like I thought (and I think Dawkins may be the first to go).

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18501898

Q: With a new NFL collective bargaining agreement apparently on the horizon, what is the Broncos' salary cap situation? Will they have to cut anybody to create cap room?
A: It appears the salary cap for the 2011 season will be about $120 million per team. That's for player salaries and doesn't include $20 million per team for player benefits. If the salary cap is $120 million, the Broncos would have to make adjustments to their roster to sign their draft picks and some free agents.
The Broncos have 72 players on their roster and nearly $129 million in salary commitments. That's after releasing tight end Daniel Graham and defensive linemen Justin Bannan and Jamal Williams .
Denver's biggest cap number for 2011 belongs to star pass rusher Elvis Dumervil ($14.423 million). Behind him are cornerback Champ Bailey ($10.5 million), quarterback Kyle Orton ($8.879 million), guard Chris Kuper ($7.315 million), safety Brian Dawkins ($7.156 million), linebacker D.J. Williams ($6.632 million), cornerback André Goodman ($4.080 million), wide receiver Demaryius Thomas ($3.23 million) and quarterback Tim Tebow ($3.188 million).
Denver's "dead money" — cap numbers for players no longer on the roster — includes $4.996 million for Bannan, $3.25 million for Graham and $3.43 million for Williams.
Once the new collective bargaining agreement is ratified by owners and players and the NFL returns to the business of pro football, the Broncos plan to be active in free agency. But they will have some juggling to do to get under the new salary cap.
In free agency, the Broncos hope to sign a running back, a fullback and a defensive tackle. They would like to have Bannan and Williams back with reduced contracts. Bannan might be difficult to bring back, because the former Colorado star likely will draw interest from several teams.

Mediator12
07-19-2011, 08:27 AM
I really think these guys are clueless. They are counting players who will never make the team against the Cap. The top earning 45 guys comprise the cap, not the 72 people signed for camp.

I really think these guys are still out to lunch here.

mwill07
07-28-2011, 06:21 PM
anybody have a solid, sourced idea what our real cap number is? I've been hearing all sorts of things from $(M over to $20M under.

It's hard for me to believe we are over the cap, given how devoid of stars we really are.