PDA

View Full Version : Schefter thinks McD may land in KC

montrose
12-26-2010, 09:29 PM
Just saw on ESPN. Said Weis isn't likely to return because of health reasons and while the Chiefs just won the AFCW, Haley isn't particularly a favorite of the Hunts or Pioli. Said McD would be a natural fit for Pioli to bring in as OC to work with Cassel and he could be a darkhorse to slip into the top spot if the Chiefs fall back to Earth a la the Bengals and Dolphins of recent seasons.

Garcia Bronco
12-26-2010, 09:32 PM
I think the NFL thinks he's a cheat, true or otherwise. i'd be surprised if he lands in the NFL.

bronco militia
12-26-2010, 09:41 PM
this could be fun!

BroncosSR
12-26-2010, 09:48 PM
Tougher. Smarter.

Tim
12-26-2010, 09:53 PM
I hope he does

Taco John
12-26-2010, 09:55 PM
I'd love a shot to see the Broncos beat that loser punk twice a year. I hope it happens.

Drek
12-26-2010, 09:56 PM
I'd honestly be surprised if he doesn't wind up back in New England. He's been Belichick's most trusted and groomed disciple. Belichick was Parcells' most trusted and groomed disciple and when he was ousted in Cleveland he was brought back into the fold. Wouldn't be surprised at all if the same happens here. The OC job is still open and their QB coach has never been given the same leverage to fully run the offense that McDaniels received after Wies left.

razorwire77
12-26-2010, 09:58 PM
If KC wants to chuck it to Bowe 50 times a game and neglect one of the best running back tandems in the league, I'd be pretty OK with that.

Cmac821
12-26-2010, 09:59 PM
Well KC does want to be more like the Pats

Requiem
12-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Nice.

Broncoman13
12-26-2010, 10:24 PM
That would be epic considering how much Haley doesnt like McD.

bronco610
12-26-2010, 10:26 PM
That would be epic considering how much Haley doesnt like McD.

josh: Hey todd, heres your apple juice......
Todd: thanks josh.... Hey thats not apple juice!!!!!!

Ratboy
12-26-2010, 10:31 PM
I'd love a shot to see the Broncos beat that loser punk twice a year. I hope it happens.

Yep!

Requiem
12-26-2010, 10:32 PM
Yep!

Hey are we still going to miss out on a top draft pick dude?

Jesterhole
12-26-2010, 10:33 PM
Haven't had a person on the Cheaps to focus my hate on in a while. This could be fun.

SlipperyPete
12-27-2010, 01:26 AM
Just saw on ESPN. Said Weis isn't likely to return because of health reasons and while the Chiefs just won the AFCW, Haley isn't particularly a favorite of the Hunts or Pioli.

LOL. Pioli personally hand-picked Haley, who just made the playoffs in his second year and will probably be coach of the year, but Haley "isn't particularly a favorite" of Pioli's?

Either you badly misheard, or Adam is drifting further down the ESPN credibility abyss.

Chris
12-27-2010, 02:07 AM
I'd honestly be surprised if he doesn't wind up back in New England. He's been Belichick's most trusted and groomed disciple. Belichick was Parcells' most trusted and groomed disciple and when he was ousted in Cleveland he was brought back into the fold. Wouldn't be surprised at all if the same happens here. The OC job is still open and their QB coach has never been given the same leverage to fully run the offense that McDaniels received after Wies left.

If he wants to be an HC again he'll need to prove himself as an OC elsewhere.

vancejohnson82
12-27-2010, 02:11 AM
i cant believe people would want him in the division

Drek
12-27-2010, 04:28 AM
If he wants to be an HC again he'll need to prove himself as an OC elsewhere.

Belichick never did and he worked under a HOF candidate defensive HC. McDaniels actually coaches the opposite side of the ball from Belichick.

If McDaniels goes back to New England and coaches a dominant offense there everyone will write off his time here as a young coach learning on the job. Hell, he might even end up replacing Belichick if he retires in the next few years.

go_broncos
12-27-2010, 05:22 AM
Hopefully..Mcd becomes HC of Chargers and trades Rivers and Gates..
My blood boils when i hear that guys name.

Kaylore
12-27-2010, 05:23 AM
I would not like this. Fortunately he'll get a crap load of offers as a coordinator. If he goes to the Chargers or the Chiefs, that could be a real problem. They have strong GM's and Josh could focus on coaching. I hope he goes somewhere in the NFC.

SpringStein
12-27-2010, 05:26 AM
I would not like this. Fortunately he'll get a crap load of offers as a coordinator. If he goes to the Chargers or the Chiefs, that could be a real problem. They have strong GM's and Josh could focus on coaching. I hope he goes somewhere in the NFC.

Totally agree.

elsid13
12-27-2010, 05:27 AM
Belichick never did and he worked under a HOF candidate defensive HC. McDaniels actually coaches the opposite side of the ball from Belichick.

If McDaniels goes back to New England and coaches a dominant offense there everyone will write off his time here as a young coach learning on the job. Hell, he might even end up replacing Belichick if he retires in the next few years.

I wouldn't be surprised if that happens, but at the same time the NE offense has been far more dynamic this season that it has been in long time when it was under McDaniels. If it does happen I hope we can trade Quinn for Gronk. because we know McDaniels needs just a blocker.

BroncoInferno
12-27-2010, 06:23 AM

New England's offense has been fantastic this season with a more tight end oriented passing attack. I seriously doubt Belichek would demote Bill O'Brien to bring back McDaniels.

BroncoInferno
12-27-2010, 06:24 AM
I think the NFL thinks he's a cheat, true or otherwise. i'd be surprised if he lands in the NFL.

He'll be the hottest OC candidate on the market. There is zero chance he doesn't land an OC gig next season--unless he just wants to take the year off.

Cmac821
12-27-2010, 06:31 AM
He'll be the hottest OC candidate on the market. There is zero chance he doesn't land an OC gig next season--unless he just wants to take the year off.

no way, do you remember his play calling?

footstepsfrom#27
12-27-2010, 06:33 AM
LOL. Pioli personally hand-picked Haley, who just made the playoffs in his second year and will probably be coach of the year, but Haley "isn't particularly a favorite" of Pioli's?

Either you badly misheard, or Adam is drifting further down the ESPN credibility abyss.
Yeah, exactly. There's no way Haley wants him and no way he lands there unless Haley's gone, which obviously won't happen, at least not for some time in the future. I think he's either back at NE or he's out of the NFL for a while because after Tebow finishes the year like he is, McDaniels is going to be looked at with an eye towards why he didin't start this kid earlier, especially since it might have made a difference in him keeping his job or not. McD got here on the strength of what some people think he accomplished with Brady, but Brady's not missed a beat with him gone and Orton fading at the end of the year while Cutler came on strong...that's going to damage his QB/OC credibility as well. He was a hot commodity but he went south in a hurry, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him coaching in college in another year as somebody's HC, perhaps a school that wouldn't otherwise attract an NFL name. I'm not saying he won't be back in the NFL if he's out of NE, but he might be taking a little vacation at least.

BroncoInferno
12-27-2010, 06:36 AM
no way, do you remember his play calling?

His work as OC in New England coupled with getting more out of Matt Cassel and Kyle Orton than anyone ever thought possible will be appealing to a lot of teams. Just because he failed as an HC doesn't mean he isn't a great OC.

Likwid Kerruj
12-27-2010, 06:38 AM
Depends on if he learns it's okay to call the same play twice in a game.

Wherever he goes, it won't be a job anywhere near the personnel department.

Cmac821
12-27-2010, 06:42 AM
His work as OC in New England coupled with getting more out of Matt Cassel and Kyle Orton than anyone ever thought possible will be appealing to a lot of teams. Just because he failed as an HC doesn't mean he isn't a great OC.

What about his napoleon complex? Is that going to end with a strong HC or GM? Glad he ruined our team while showing the League how great he can be under circumstances.

BroncoInferno
12-27-2010, 06:42 AM
Yeah, exactly. There's no way Haley wants him and no way he lands there unless Haley's gone, which obviously won't happen, at least not for some time in the future. I think he's either back at NE or he's out of the NFL for a while because after Tebow finishes the year like he is, McDaniels is going to be looked at with an eye towards why he didin't start this kid earlier, especially since it might have made a difference in him keeping his job or not. McD got here on the strength of what some people think he accomplished with Brady, but Brady's not missed a beat with him gone and Orton fading at the end of the year while Cutler came on strong...that's going to damage his QB/OC credibility as well. He was a hot commodity but he went south in a hurry, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him coaching in college in another year as somebody's HC, perhaps a school that wouldn't otherwise attract an NFL name. I'm not saying he won't be back in the NFL if he's out of NE, but he might be taking a little vacation at least.

Wrong. The criticism of not playing Tebow was his decision as head coach...that will have little bearing on his role as an OC where he won't be making those kinds of roster/personnel decisions. It isn't just his work with Brady either...Matt Cassel had not started a game since HS, and McD had him during his developmental years and first season as a starter. And, say what you will about Orton, but McD got FAR more out of him than most people expected. He squeezed the absolute maximum out of Orton. Then look at guys like Brandon Lloyd and Jabaar Gaffney...career journyman who are all of sudden putting up numbers that dwarf anything they've done previously (All-Pro level numbers in Lloyd's case after getting dropped by four teams). As long as he wants to coach next season, there is ZERO chance he won't land an OC gig some where. His failures as an HC have no bearing on his proven success as an OC with New England and his exceptional results with QBs and the passing game.

BroncoInferno
12-27-2010, 06:43 AM
What about his napoleon complex? Is that going to end with a strong HC or GM? Glad he ruined our team while showing the League how great he can be under circumstances.

His failures as head coach/GM have nothing to do with him being an OC. He won't be in a decision making position

tsiguy96
12-27-2010, 06:48 AM
find it funny that i think a lot of people now yelling at mcd for not playing tebow were previously yelling at mcd for drafting him in the first place. if you are gonna criticize, be consistent!

Dr. Broncenstein
12-27-2010, 06:49 AM
His failures as head coach/GM have nothing to do with him being an OC. He won't be in a decision making position

Yeah but he would still be the kind of guy who abandons the run because "eventually you have to pass." I'd love to play a team like that twice a year.

Cmac821
12-27-2010, 06:49 AM

Time will tell, I am not pulling for him

tsiguy96
12-27-2010, 06:52 AM
considering the guy would have cut his own fingers off to win games in denver, no need to continually bash him, atleast in my opinion. he didnt call denver fans a 6, he was very respectful of the team and everything around it during his departure. at some point, gotta let go!

hope he does good in KC if thats where he goes, just not better than denver, ever.

Mile High Shack
12-27-2010, 07:08 AM
I think some of you aren't taking the cheating thing seriously enough. I think that little incident is going to cost him a job offer for a couple of years

tsiguy96
12-27-2010, 07:14 AM
I think some of you aren't taking the cheating thing seriously enough. I think that little incident is going to cost him a job offer for a couple of years

most NFL reporters completely disagree with you, including peter king and adam schefter...but carry on.

BroncoInferno
12-27-2010, 07:16 AM

I doubt it. By all indications, he the guy doing the taping acted on his own and McD declined to view the tape. His big mistake was not reporting it to the NFL so his buddy wouldn't get in trouble. If he were in the running for HC positions it might be more of an issue...but I doubt it will be an issue as an OC candidate.

Mile High Shack
12-27-2010, 07:18 AM
most NFL reporters completely disagree with you, including peter king and adam schefter...but carry on.

yeah, b/c we know Peter King is really a source that is known not to be biased toward anything Patriot related...sorry dude, I don't take what Peter King says on this matter to heart at all.

The Pats were/are good for one reason and it's not McD....Tom Brady. A QB like that will make any OC look good. Yeah, yeah, look at Cassel, I already know what you are going to say, but that team had loads of talent on the offensive line and WR, and showing in KC that Cassel is a pretty good QB, so whatever.

I think McD's genius is overblown.

Mile High Shack
12-27-2010, 07:18 AM
I doubt it. By all indications, he the guy doing the taping acted on his own and McD declined to view the tape. His big mistake was not reporting it to the NFL so his buddy wouldn't get in trouble. If he were in the running for HC positions it might be more of an issue...but I doubt it will be an issue as an OC candidate.

yeah and if you believe a guy that did it in NE and Josh hired him knowing that, acted on his own, I have some land available I'd like to sell you.

BroncoInferno
12-27-2010, 07:21 AM
Yeah but he would still be the kind of guy who abandons the run because "eventually you have to pass." I'd love to play a team like that twice a year.

He's a proven commodity as an OC/QB coach. His failures as a head coach do not change that fact. If you want to face him as OC twice a year, fine. I think it's foolish to pretend like he has NO ability as a coach at all because he failed as a head coach/de facto general manager. He clearly has proven himself as an OC and QB coach. I mean, he squeezed blood from a turnip with Cassel and Orton.

jhns
12-27-2010, 07:21 AM
considering the guy would have cut his own fingers off to win games in denver, no need to continually bash him, atleast in my opinion. he didnt call denver fans a 6, he was very respectful of the team and everything around it during his departure. at some point, gotta let go!

hope he does good in KC if thats where he goes, just not better than denver, ever.

Yeah guys! Stop picking on tsigirls hero! We need to bash guys that have actually done stuff for this franchise, like Shanahan. Guys who did nothing but bring us our worst years since the 70s should be respected!

LOL

Silly McDaniels fans...

BroncoInferno
12-27-2010, 07:22 AM
yeah and if you believe a guy that did it in NE and Josh hired him knowing that, acted on his own, I have some land available I'd like to sell you.

It doesn't matter about what your theory is...it's about what can be proven. He'll get an OC job if he wants one. That's a slam dunk.

Mile High Shack
12-27-2010, 07:22 AM
He's a proven commodity as an OC/QB coach. His failures as a head coach do not change that fact. If you want to face him as OC twice a year, fine. I think it's foolish to pretend like he has NO ability as a coach at all because he failed as a head coach/de facto general manager. He clearly has proven himself as an OC and QB coach. I mean, he squeezed blood from a turnip with Cassel and Orton.

Cassel appears to be doing pretty well in KC, so I think his genius is way overblown.

If I had Tom Brady running my offense, I'd look like a genius too.

Mile High Shack
12-27-2010, 07:23 AM
He'll get an OC job if he wants one. That's a slam dunk.

yeah, he will, but not next year, I agree.

Missouribronc
12-27-2010, 07:23 AM
Anyone else think that its a coincidence that Mike Shanahan, known for manipulating cap numbers, ended up in Washington with Dan Snyder?

I don't think the "cheating" is going to hinder McDaniels getting a coordinator position.

I don't know anything about Mangini's coordinator positions, but don't you think Cleveland and Holmgren would love to have McDaniels work with McCoy?

BroncoInferno
12-27-2010, 07:25 AM
Cassel appears to be doing pretty well in KC, so I think his genius is way overblown.

Perhaps because he was with McD during his developmental years?

If I had Tom Brady running my offense, I'd look like a genius too.

He squeezed blood from a turnip with Cassel and Orton. It isn't just his work with Brady.

My point is that his resume as an OC and coaching up QBs will look impressive to a team in need of an OC. I mean, I don't see how that is even debatable.

Mile High Shack
12-27-2010, 07:28 AM
Perhaps because he was with McD during his developmental years?

He squeezed blood from a turnip with Cassel and Orton. It isn't just his work with Brady.

My point is that his resume as an OC and coaching up QBs will look impressive to a team in need of an OC. I mean, I don't see how that is even debatable.

He will get another job, I totally agree, but not next year

Drek
12-27-2010, 07:30 AM

The camera guy he brought in was from New England but he was never fingered in any of the taping accusations, FYI.

I wouldn't be surprised if that happens, but at the same time the NE offense has been far more dynamic this season that it has been in long time when it was under McDaniels. If it does happen I hope we can trade Quinn for Gronk. because we know McDaniels needs just a blocker.

McDaniels coached the single greatest single season offense in NFL history while with the Patriots. Their offense is not "more dynamic" than the single best offense in NFL history, and is largely rooted in the same principals McDaniels developed there.

New England's offense has been fantastic this season with a more tight end oriented passing attack. I seriously doubt Belichek would demote Bill O'Brien to bring back McDaniels.

O'Brien has never received nearly the leverage McDaniels had there and has never been bumped up from QB coach. The OC position has been vacant ever since McDaniels left, so no one takes a demotion if he returns.

go_broncos
12-27-2010, 07:34 AM
It's pathetic that some posters still think Mcd in high regards.I don't care if he is a good OC or not.He ruined this team and you should be ashamed to even say a positive thing about him.

BroncoInferno
12-27-2010, 07:39 AM
O'Brien has never received nearly the leverage McDaniels had there and has never been bumped up from QB coach. The OC position has been vacant ever since McDaniels left, so no one takes a demotion if he returns.

Well, whatever arangement they have, their offense has been superb. Why would they mess with that to bring back McD? I agree that McD will get a gig somewhere, but New England doesn't realy make much sense at this point. Plus, I agree with the notion that he will want to prove he can cut it without hanging around in Belichek's shadow.

tsiguy96
12-27-2010, 07:44 AM
It's pathetic that some posters still think Mcd in high regards.I don't care if he is a good OC or not.He ruined this team and you should be ashamed to even say a positive thing about him.

let. it. go.

Dagmar
12-27-2010, 07:55 AM

He drafted Tebow.

TheReverend
12-27-2010, 08:03 AM

Hey guys, did you hear that a 5 page print out = "most trusted and groomed disciple"?

TheReverend
12-27-2010, 08:05 AM
And I'm not sure I see it. The way Haley likes an offense to be run (intelligently) and the way Josh willy nilly passes regardless of defensive formation and coverages don't really match.

Drek
12-27-2010, 08:33 AM
Well, whatever arangement they have, their offense has been superb. Why would they mess with that to bring back McD? I agree that McD will get a gig somewhere, but New England doesn't realy make much sense at this point. Plus, I agree with the notion that he will want to prove he can cut it without hanging around in Belichek's shadow.

Because it was even more superb with McDaniels running it? You're talking about the same Bill Belichick who brought in Dom Capers to be an assistant HC - defensive backs a few years back. He's never had a problem with too many smart football guys running around his organization.

As for wanting to prove it on his own, well, thats simply not how the Belichick/Parcells coaching tree works. Belichick went back to Parcells when he left Cleveland. Old colleagues under Parcells filled out his staff when he became the HC in New England. A former Belichick disciple runs the Jets FO and hired a former Patriots assistant (Mangini) when he took hold of the organization's reigns. Wies and Crennel ran to Pioli's side in KC when they decided to find positions elsewhere. Parcells has literally been dragging pretty near the same group of guys with him from his New York days to New England, NYJ, Dallas, and now Miami. Even McDaniels' start is directly tied to the Belichick/Parcells tree, having been a grad student under Nick Saban a former Belichick assistant.

The Belichick/Parcells coaching tree is the single most inbred, insular, xenophobic coaching tree the NFL has ever seen. It far outstrips even Bill Walsh's offshoots. They hire each other, fire each other, then wind up working under one of their old coordinators a few years later. Its white trash trailer park partner swapping manifest in the NFL. The concept of "proving it on his own" would require him to work with someone who is philosophically not on the same wavelength as nearly all members of the Belichick/Parcells coaching tree and therefore not as good as working with anyone from the tree.

Tombstone RJ
12-27-2010, 08:39 AM
If McD goes to KC as the OC that would be extremely bad for the Broncos. Uniting him with Cassel? Not a good idea. Hopefully this is all BS. Hopefully Haley seriously dislikes McD and says 'no' to bringing McD in.

Gort
12-27-2010, 08:53 AM

the only problem is that nobody cheated (except the video guy).

McD hired a guy who was involved in the original spygate... only he worked for the Jets!

that guy filmed a walkthrough by the 49ers in London.

he told McD he had a tape. McD said he didn't want to see it and didn't want to know about it. he may or may not have informed the FO at this time. i'm not sure.

then he called the coaches together and told them to keep quiet about the tape. one of them ratted him out to the Denver Post.

the Denver Post ran the story and hyped the situation into something more serious sounding than it was. McD then fired the video guy.

at this point Bowlen became upset at McD. either because McD didn't immediately inform the FO when he found out about the tape, or because the situation leaked to the press and presented the Broncos in an unfavorable light.

Bowlen fired McD.

where is the cheating? i know the video guy did something wrong and he lost his job for it. McD tried to do some damage control and was not successful.

i was unhappy with McD as most of the rest of the fanbase by the time he got canned, but let's not play into the Denver Post's hands and continue hyping this as Spygate II. it wasn't. not even close. McD knew enough to never look at that damned tape. so where's the cheating?

Mr.Meanie
12-27-2010, 09:20 AM
BThe Belichick/Parcells coaching tree is the single most inbred, insular, xenophobic coaching tree the NFL has ever seen. It far outstrips even Bill Walsh's offshoots. They hire each other, fire each other, then wind up working under one of their old coordinators a few years later. Its white trash trailer park partner swapping manifest in the NFL. The concept of "proving it on his own" would require him to work with someone who is philosophically not on the same wavelength as nearly all members of the Belichick/Parcells coaching tree and therefore not as good as working with anyone from the tree.

Spot on, and brilliantly stated. Rep!

montrose
12-27-2010, 09:24 AM

This. Oh dear goodness, this.

I don't know anything about Mangini's coordinator positions, but don't you think Cleveland and Holmgren would love to have McDaniels work with McCoy?

and Hillis!

Broncoman13
12-27-2010, 09:59 AM
I think Josh will end up in Minny... maybe even as their HC. They will want to bring a new QB in and will allow him to rebuild that offense. The good news... I don't know what that would mean for AD. I think McD actually wants to run the ball, but he is impatient. I'd be surprised if he didn't run much more in the future.

uplink
12-27-2010, 10:36 AM
McD's bridges with Belichick may be burned. The assistant coaches made sure to leak what he said about the filming being 'coached' and 'planned' in NE but not in Denver. It was payback for throwing them in front of the bus after the Oakland home loss.

Notice Belichick said later after he was fired that McD was not ready to be a HC. Not sure of the link but I heard it somewhere.

Bronco Vixen
12-27-2010, 10:50 AM

This is exactly right. We do not want this. A position that would allow him to focus his energies on what he arguably does best, with a vendetta to play out twice a year (see shanny vs. the raiders), without the distraction of having to engage his phenomenal personnel skill set, and all the while having to be subjected to that enraging smug grin (see Taco's avatar) = disaster. NFC NFC NFC!

TheReverend
12-27-2010, 10:53 AM

Absolutely this.

TheReverend
12-27-2010, 10:55 AM

So he would cut his fingers off to win a game, but wouldn't properly handle interpersonal relationships, delegate responsibility, calm down on draft day, evaluate players better, use a system that fit personnel, or properly call a game to win a game?

I'd properly choose those options over cutting off my fingers every day of the week...