PDA

View Full Version : Woodyard vs DJ

epa86b@netzero
12-26-2010, 08:18 PM
I could not watch the game please assist me.

Who performed better today in the middle?

I know DJ has switched position more than a hooker but I really do not like him as a middle LB in the 4-3 or 3-4.

Could we be looking at Mays, Woodyard, and a FA/draft next season battling for the MLB position if we continue to play a 3-4 formation?

razorwire77
12-26-2010, 08:39 PM
Woodyard is too damn small. If he gets free in space, his pursuit is decent, but if a G/T or decent blocking TE/FB gets a hold of him he's done. I remember at least one play where he got mauled and bad things happened.

D.J. is D.J. he still gets caught in the wash and overall is not a good instinctive LB, but an above average athlete. He's also had to deal with piss poor defensive line play in front of him for most of his career. IMO he's best served as a weakside 4-3 LB. If our new defensive coordinator decides to run a 4-3 base, D.J. would be a decent starter in that position.

bronco0608
12-26-2010, 08:50 PM
Can't judge a middle lb by tackles, whoever you put in there, they make tackles. From Larson to woodyard to mays to haggan. They all make tackles.

Broncoman13
12-26-2010, 11:48 PM
Woodyard seems to be in the right position a lot... Just struggles to make the play. He tries to put the big bone jarring hit on rather than wrapping up and stoppingcthe play for a three or four yard play. The result is usually another 10 yards.

mhgaffney
12-27-2010, 12:29 AM
I have liked Woodyard as a backup. He sure whiffed today on at least one play.

I say keep Woodyard -- but we need to draft another big strong fast LB next April.

LongDongJohnson
12-27-2010, 01:26 AM
Woodyard is too damn small. If he gets free in space, his pursuit is decent, but if a G/T or decent blocking TE/FB gets a hold of him he's done. I remember at least one play where he got mauled and bad things happened.

D.J. is D.J. he still gets caught in the wash and overall is not a good instinctive LB, but an above average athlete. He's also had to deal with piss poor defensive line play in front of him for most of his career. IMO he's best served as a weakside 4-3 LB. If our new defensive coordinator decides to run a 4-3 base, D.J. would be a decent starter in that position.

DJ is a great athlete. he's not just above average.

Killericon
12-27-2010, 02:39 AM
Let's focus on what needs to be fixed first, and then move on to what would be nice to fix. I'm happy with DJ's play.

meangene
12-27-2010, 03:01 AM
Let's focus on what needs to be fixed first, and then move on to what would be nice to fix. I'm happy with DJ's play.

I think his play is adequate and that is pretty good on this defense. I think Mayes could really step up at ILB or MLB next year. He brings some nastiness to the defense as does Vickerson.