PDA

View Full Version : What they said: Tim Tebow impresses Houston coach Gary Kubiak

Bronco Rob
12-26-2010, 07:07 PM
What they said: Tim Tebow impresses Houston coach Gary Kubiak

What players and coaches said after the Broncos rallied to beat the Texans 24-23 on Sunday in Denver:

"He's impressive. He's a winner."
—Texans coach Gary Kubiak on Tim Tebow.

"I'm happy for the men in that locker room. They deserved to win today, they deserve this."
—Broncos interim head coach Eric Studesville on getting his first win.

"He asked us, 'What are you playing for?' That's all he had to say and guys went out there and kicked it up to another notch."
—Broncos running back Correll Buckhatler on interim head coach Eric Studesville's halftime speech. The Broncos trailed 17-0 at halftime. They outscored the Texans 24-6 in the second half.

Read more: What they said: Tim Tebow impresses Houston coach Gary Kubiak - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16947462?source=pkg#ixzz19H2DFy8X
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Inkana7
12-26-2010, 07:16 PM
That's a great speech by Studesville.

Kaylore
12-26-2010, 07:17 PM
So does anyone still want Kubiak after this abomination and what will be the worst defense the NFL in 25 years?

McDman
12-26-2010, 07:21 PM
So does anyone still want Kubiak after this abomination and what will be the worst defense the NFL in 25 years?

Wouldn't really mind if we got a big time DC, but I don't see that happening.

BroncoInferno
12-26-2010, 07:34 PM

I sure as hell don't. To put the putridness of Houston's defense in perspective...the 24 points we scored today tied for the fewest they've allowed all season. In other words, this was one of their best defensive performances of the season Yikes!

BroncoInferno
12-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Wouldn't really mind if we got a big time DC, but I don't see that happening.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why so many folks think all Kubiak needs is to be paired with a big name DC and PRESTO!...he'll be a successful head coach. How did that strategy work out for us when Shanny brought in Ray Rhodes and Jim Bates?

Requiem
12-26-2010, 07:39 PM
**** Kubiak, but apparently he is an awesome HC. Just ask Taco.

TonyR
12-26-2010, 07:44 PM
So does anyone still want Kubiak after this abomination...

Nope, never did. I mentioned early in the game thread that it looked like we were playing the 2007-2008 Denver Broncos today. A team with some talent here and there but also a team that is both physically and mentally soft. Granted they were missing Andre Johnson today but that team really didn't impress me even a little bit. No thanks to Gary Kubiak other than maybe OC.

Broncoman13
12-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Nope, never did. I mentioned early in the game thread that it looked like we were playing the 2007-2008 Denver Broncos today. A team with some talent here and there but also a team that is both physically and mentally soft. Granted they were missing Andre Johnson today but that team really didn't impress me even a little bit. No thanks to Gary Kubiak other than maybe OC.

A team that is missing their three best players. Not only top tier players for their team but all-pro players.

Kubiak would do a lot for Tim Tebow. If getting Gary Kubiak meant we were getting a true GM and focusing our draft on defense rather than trying to get a new QB... Yeah, I am all for Kubes and Tebow!

snowspot66
12-26-2010, 08:50 PM

I'd take him as an OC and be fine with it if it came to that.

Dagmar
12-26-2010, 08:59 PM
Say no to Kubiak as head coach.

Hamrob
12-26-2010, 09:38 PM
I don't know if it's Kubiak...but, we'd better get somebody who can work with Tebow. If we are going to throw our anchor in with him...then, we need a QB expert to work with him.

footstepsfrom#27
12-26-2010, 09:44 PM
I wonder if Urban Meyer has NFL game ticket? ;D

vercingetorix
12-26-2010, 09:48 PM
The people who have liked Kubiak already knew Houston has a bad defense.

I still wouldnt mind Kubiak as head coach or OC. Today didnt change anything.

Premier-Ace55
12-26-2010, 09:48 PM
I just feel that the system that Kubiak/Shanahan is just proven and I feel that he could really develop tebow. I understand the defense is bad and it has the be fixed however for both teams.

vercingetorix
12-26-2010, 09:49 PM
I just feel that the system that Kubiak/Shanahan is just proven and I feel that he could really develop tebow. I understand the defense is bad and it has the be fixed however for both teams.

This

Dagmar
12-26-2010, 09:52 PM
So why has he failed to fix the D in 5 years?

Inkana7
12-26-2010, 10:12 PM

Proven for what time period? The Wing-T was proven at one time too.

Soul-Bronco
12-26-2010, 10:15 PM
i would take kubes as the OC and singletary as the DC !!

SonOfLe-loLang
12-26-2010, 10:16 PM

Singletary is horrible...no

gunns
12-26-2010, 11:05 PM
I could care less what everyone here thinks about Kubiak as head coach. I hope todays game convinced Bowlen he's not the answer for us, with or without a great GM.

Cmac821
12-26-2010, 11:14 PM
If the offense has WR running wide open every play like today then I am all for it (sarcasm)

Kaylore
12-26-2010, 11:38 PM
A team that is missing their three best players. Not only top tier players for their team but all-pro players.

Kubiak would do a lot for Tim Tebow. If getting Gary Kubiak meant we were getting a true GM and focusing our draft on defense rather than trying to get a new QB... Yeah, I am all for Kubes and Tebow!

You say this like he's the only QB developer in the league. Again, worst defense in the NFL in 25 years and you want to bring him in why? Offensive coordinator, sure. But what's he done in Houston that warrants him being our head coach? Hiring a head coach just because he works we'll with Tebow is a bad idea.

Paladin
12-26-2010, 11:41 PM
With all the hyped giddiness of Tebow's "greatness", remember that the Texans were near the Broncos' 30, and that was a chip shot for Rackers. It was a lucky play (for Denver, a disaster for the Texans) by Dawkins (who was beat all day like a borrowed hammer) that tipped the ball to Squid.

If I were the Texans. I would be more distsurbed by the confounded luck (Schaub played very well and torched Dawkins and Hill a lot) rather than be impressed with Tebow.

Fact is, Tebow had a decent second half. The Denver D looked like shyte piled high on a dung heap. But the Texans' D in the second half folded to the long passes, a tactic Studesville should have used earlier instesd of so many screens...........

nickademus
12-27-2010, 12:23 AM
I would take kubiak if he came with wade phillips as the dc.

Broncoman13
12-27-2010, 12:44 AM
You say this like he's the only QB developer in the league. Again, worst defense in the NFL in 25 years and you want to bring him in why? Offensive coordinator, sure. But what's he done in Houston that warrants him being our head coach? Hiring a head coach just because he works we'll with Tebow is a bad idea.

I would actually prefer he was brought in as an OC... Don't know if that will be an option though. Would be nice to get a guy like Frazier as HC with Kubiak as the OC. I could see that working out very well. I just think it's important to have an offense that can maximize Tebow. Steve Young made the bootleg what it is today and I think Tebow can do the same things. Very similar QBs at this stage... Albeit Tebow is more powerful and Young more Graceful.

footstepsfrom#27
12-27-2010, 12:51 AM
If I were the Texans. I would be more distsurbed by the confounded luck (Schaub played very well and torched Dawkins and Hill a lot) rather than be impressed with Tebow.

Fact is, Tebow had a decent second half. The Denver D looked like shyte piled high on a dung heap. But the Texans' D in the second half folded to the long passes, a tactic Studesville should have used earlier instesd of so many screens...........
A decent second half? Four possessions...four scores. Just exactly what would you consider a good second half...for a rookie in his first home start?

BroncoDoug
12-27-2010, 01:44 AM
A decent second half? Four possessions...four scores. Just exactly what would you consider a good second half...for a rookie in his first home start?

four possessions and 6 scores...

HILife
12-27-2010, 04:45 AM

Never wanted Kubiak as the head coach. Don't know why people keep bringing up his name.

ghostofjosh
12-27-2010, 04:46 AM
wouldn't really mind if we got a big time dc, but i don't see that happening.

this

Chris
12-27-2010, 05:00 AM
the zbs had its day... produces a lot of yards but doesn't work between the 20s... that's exactly the problem we've had for years.

Kaylore
12-27-2010, 06:40 AM
I would actually prefer he was brought in as an OC... Don't know if that will be an option though. Would be nice to get a guy like Frazier as HC with Kubiak as the OC. I could see that working out very well. I just think it's important to have an offense that can maximize Tebow. Steve Young made the bootleg what it is today and I think Tebow can do the same things. Very similar QBs at this stage... Albeit Tebow is more powerful and Young more Graceful.

Then we're not disagreeing at all! I'm just against him being the head coach. I think he could be good, but he needs to learn under someone different to round out his coaching education, preferably a physical, defensive minded head coach, so he can learn what makes teams tough and defensively strong. But yes, as an offensive coordinator I think he would do wonders with Tebow or whoever ends up starting for the Broncos. With a strong GM and good head coach I think we would have the ground work to build something on.

elsid13
12-27-2010, 07:08 AM
Has anyone ever seen another coach call out another team player post game. I always wonder what they really think vs the media correct thing they say.

TonyR
12-27-2010, 07:55 AM
I just feel that the system that Kubiak/Shanahan is just proven...

Do you realize that the "Kubiak/Shanahan system" hasn't been to the playoffs since 2005?

Likwid Kerruj
12-27-2010, 07:56 AM
Has anyone ever seen another coach call out another team player post game. I always wonder what they really think vs the media correct thing they say.

Kubes is just buttering up the front office (or whatever) for his interview with the Broncos.

Missouribronc
12-27-2010, 08:13 AM
Do you realize that the "Kubiak/Shanahan system" hasn't been to the playoffs since 2005?

3-4 defenses.

Mile High Shack
12-27-2010, 08:21 AM

it's the West Coast offense....it's not "Kubiak/Shanahan system"

it's like anything else in the NFL, cyclical, eventually the WC offense will come back around in another form.

There isn't really anything new under the sun

bowtown
12-27-2010, 08:33 AM
Interview: failed

oubronco
12-27-2010, 08:40 AM

This is what happens when you have the youngest, most inexperienced, and worst secondary in the NFL

Drek
12-27-2010, 08:56 AM
it's the West Coast offense....it's not "Kubiak/Shanahan system"

it's like anything else in the NFL, cyclical, eventually the WC offense will come back around in another form.

There isn't really anything new under the sun

What do you think was the key ingredient that turned the spread into an NFL caliber offense?

Mixing in some WCO concepts, namely greater focus on short routes where WRs can make plays with the ball and greater reliance on backs coming out of the backfield, was the missing piece to make the spread work in the NFL. McDaniels did that in New England. Peyton has done something similar in New Orleans. Andy Ried and co. have brought significant aspects of Meyer's spread option into their game plan to fully utilize their personnel. Not just Vick but Jackson's and Maclin's elite down field speed.

The NFL is all about who can synthesize a variety of concepts into a coherent and viable new approach. We even see this on defense. Dick LeBeau didn't create the zone blitz but he's the guy who synthesized zone blitz schemes into an NFL 3-4/5-2 concept of front seven play into the relentless attack he's developed and coached with the Steelers. Prior to that a 3-4 D needed a Lawrence Taylor or Karl Mecklenberg who they'd have beat his opposition in a man to man fashion. Even today most teams (like us for example) are still tied to that "our pass rusher will man up and beat his opponent" mindset. But the best defenses have looked at what LeBeau created in Pittsburgh and cribbed from it to create their own adaptations. Such as in New England and Baltimore where mixed fronts and zone blitzing are their approach to create confusion and win series.

TheReverend
12-27-2010, 09:00 AM

Compared to the other names that have bandied about in connection with the Broncos HC job, Kubiak is Vince Lombardi reincarnate.

vercingetorix
12-27-2010, 09:08 AM
3-4 defenses.

Guess again. Half of the teams Denver beat during the playoffs on their Super Bowl runs were 3-4 teams.

Hogan11
12-27-2010, 09:19 AM

That's because it's passe....it has utterly failed in Houston and it is currently failing in WSN.

Kaylore
12-27-2010, 09:32 AM
Compared to the other names that have bandied about in connection with the Broncos HC job, Kubiak is Vince Lombardi reincarnate.

Kubiak is the worst of them all for a head coach.

An OC is another story.

Gort
12-27-2010, 10:10 AM

why is everyone so desperate to get retreads in here?

what the hell, let's throw Jerry Glanville and Dan Reeves into the mix!

/sarc

Gort
12-27-2010, 10:12 AM

i recall Warren Sapp punching an opposing coach postgame and that being a topic of discussion. a few years ago. don't remember the coach though.

Drek
12-27-2010, 10:23 AM

Who are these other names you're referring to then? Last I checked Lane Kiffin and Rod Marinelli weren't being mentioned as short listers.

TheReverend
12-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Who are these other names you're referring to then? Last I checked Lane Kiffin and Rod Marinelli weren't being mentioned as short listers.

Mike Mularkey, Mike Heimerdinger and Jim Fassell.

TheReverend
12-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Kubiak is the worst of them all for a head coach.

An OC is another story.

See rumored "candidates" above and please attempt to justify that statement.

Drek
12-27-2010, 10:29 AM

Heimerdinger and Fassel I'll give you. But Mularkey has accomplished more than Kubiak as an OC and as an HC. He's a far better candidate than Kubiak.

I will say though, if Heimerdinger and Fassel are anything more than just rumor mill bull**** and actually make anything but a VERY LONG list of HC candidates then this franchise is outright proper ****ed.

I personally never took their names being mentioned as anything other than aimless message board ramblings.

Kaylore
12-27-2010, 10:30 AM

Well that's different than I heard with the exceptions Mularkey. I had heard Leslie Frazier, Jim Harbough, Kubiak and Mularkey.

I stand corrected. Kubiak is the second best one on your list, but still the worst of ones I was understanding to be on the short list.

frerottenextelway
12-27-2010, 10:39 AM
Heimerdinger and Fassel I'll give you. But Mularkey has accomplished more than Kubiak as an OC and as an HC. He's a far better candidate than Kubiak.

I will say though, if Heimerdinger and Fassel are anything more than just rumor mill bull**** and actually make anything but a VERY LONG list of HC candidates then this franchise is outright proper ****ed.

I personally never took their names being mentioned as anything other than aimless message board ramblings.

I'm not a big fan of Mularkey. I live in Steeler country and they were happy when he went out the door to Buffalo, and he ended up being a complete failure in Buffalo. Steelers went from 6-10 to 15-1 when he left. His stint in Atlanta is the only place that he has been successful.

TheReverend
12-27-2010, 10:48 AM
Well that's different than I heard with the exceptions Mularkey. I had heard Leslie Frazier, Jim Harbough, Kubiak and Mularkey.

I stand corrected. Kubiak is the second best one on your list, but still the worst of ones I was understanding to be on the short list.

I'd be pleased if they interviewed the candidates you have with the exception of Mike Mularkey.

BroncoInferno
12-27-2010, 10:54 AM
I'd be pleased if they interviewed the candidates you have with the exception of Mike Mularkey.

Why not Mularkey? He has an impressive resume in multiple stops as an OC, and as HC he coached Buffalo to their last winning season. Heck, they didn't even fire him. He quit after year 2 because they brought in 139 year old Levy to be the GM. Much prefer him over Kubes at any rate.

BroncoInferno
12-27-2010, 10:56 AM
I'm not a big fan of Mularkey. I live in Steeler country and they were happy when he went out the door to Buffalo, and he ended up being a complete failure in Buffalo. Steelers went from 6-10 to 15-1 when he left. His stint in Atlanta is the only place that he has been successful.

I doubt going from 6-10 to 15-1 had much to do with Mularkey leaving and everything to do with going from Tommy Maddox at QB to Roethlisberger. Mularkey actually got a couple of solid seasons out of Kordell Stewart of all people. C'mon, that deserves some credit. And look at the work he's done with Matt Ryan and the Atlanta offense.

Kaylore
12-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Why not Mularkey?
Yes I'm curious as well. At the very least if he sucked, we would get to say "Oh what a bunch of Mularkey!"

frerottenextelway
12-27-2010, 11:07 AM
I doubt going from 6-10 to 15-1 had much to do with Mularkey leaving and everything to do with going from Tommy Maddox at QB to Roethlisberger. Mularkey actually got a couple of solid seasons out of Kordell Stewart of all people. C'mon, that deserves some credit. And look at the work he's done with Matt Ryan and the Atlanta offense.

There were more problems than just Mularkey (like the QB situation you mentioned), but I can tell you from a local perspective that Mularkey was viewed as part of the problem.

Fans thought that Mularkey took them away from "Steelers football" and just looking up a quick stat, they passed 532 times in 2003 and 358 times in 2004. They were kinda right there.

TheReverend
12-27-2010, 11:14 AM
Yes I'm curious as well. At the very least if he sucked, we would get to say "Oh what a bunch of Mularkey!"

Fantastic tagline aside, I'm more curious as to the logic behind it than anything. You call Kubiak a failure in Houston and want Mularkey to get an interview?

Keep in mind, the Bills squad that he failed miserably with isn't the horrid Bills team of today. It had Jason Peters, Eric Moulds, Lee Evans, Roscoe Parrish, Henry pre wash out, McGahee when he could marginally play, and a VERY stacked defense with London Fletcher, young Nate Clements, Lawyer Milloy, Sam Adams, Takeo Spikes, Troy Vincent (not to mention familiar names Mario Haggan and Justin Bannan).

He was also mediocre at best in Pittsburgh, and I personally haven't been all that impressed with him in Atlanta since 2008.

I will credit that I thought he did an excellent job with Matt Ryan in his rookie season that I just alluded to. I think it's literally the LONE brightspot on his resume.

Drek
12-27-2010, 12:17 PM
Mularkey built the Atlanta offense following the absolute mess it was post-Vick and Petrino. That deserves some pretty serious accolades itself.

His first season with Buffalo he went 9-7. When failures at the QB position scuttled his second season he quit instead of work with a GM who'd likely be looking to replace him soon.

In Pittsburgh he got the best seasons out of Kordell Stewart anyone ever did and was saddled with Tommy Maddox his last year there.

I could see the arguement for Kubiak as opposed to Mularkey, but Mularkey has done some very good things in Atlanta the last three years.

But honestly, if the short list Bowlen and co. work off of is Mularkey, Kubes, Heimerdinger, and Fassel I'd gladly take Kubes over the later two.

TonyR
12-27-2010, 12:25 PM
...from a local perspective that Mularkey was viewed as part of the problem...

Fair point, but just for the sake of argument weren't those same fans also trying to run Cowher out of town for a couple of years before they got back on track again in 2001?

frerottenextelway
12-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Fair point, but just for the sake of argument weren't those same fans also trying to run Cowher out of town for a couple of years before they got back on track again in 2001?

Nah, I don't think so. There were a few grumbles here and there, but Cowher was always pretty highly regarded.

I went searching to see if I could find some old posts on Steelers forums from that period. I couldn't quite go back far enough from when he was leaving, but here's a couple from after he left.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=3614
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=3362
http://www.steelersfever.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9194

Dedhed
12-27-2010, 01:08 PM

I was thinking the same thing; the Texans showed every trait the Shanny coached teams became known for.

Started fast on offense, couldn't put the game away, failed to make adjustments, wore down as the game progressed, folded in the end.

TheReverend
12-27-2010, 01:13 PM
I was thinking the same thing; the Texans showed every trait the Shanny coached teams became known for.

Started fast on offense, couldn't put the game away, failed to make adjustments, wore down as the game progressed, folded in the end.

I'm not that big on the Kubiak for HC concept (though I definitely love the idea of him developing Tebow and Tebow and Knowshon playing in his offense), but your post is extremely unfair.

What adjustments do you expect to make up 17-0 at half?!!??!!?

elsid13
12-27-2010, 01:13 PM
I don't understand why Mularkey has done anything to be consider a hot candidate. If we are going to coordinator that had previous head coaching experience it make more sense to go with Mornhinweg (#1 offense this season, #11 last, #9 two year ago).

At least we know that he has the ability to work with mobile QB and found awhile to adopt the WCO to play with explosive deep threat attack.

Drek
12-27-2010, 01:50 PM
I don't understand why Mularkey has done anything to be consider a hot candidate. If we are going to coordinator that had previous head coaching experience it make more sense to go with Mornhinweg (#1 offense this season, #11 last, #9 two year ago).

At least we know that he has the ability to work with mobile QB and found awhile to adopt the WCO to play with explosive deep threat attack.

I'd be up for that. I do personally think we need to go with someone who has previous HC experience and enough of an NFL track record to have the kind of connections needed to fill out a competent staff.

Bronco Rob
12-28-2010, 06:02 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_16955095

8')