PDA

View Full Version : NFL just needs to play football!

Goobzilla
12-26-2010, 05:34 PM
NFL has really punked out on this SNF game in Philly. Worried about the precedent this sets. Now the league is hiding behind "concerns for public safety". Further wussification of the NFL. Apparently Goodell never would have let the Ice Bowl be played.

Cmac821
12-26-2010, 05:35 PM
blizzards are fun

Orange4Life
12-26-2010, 05:39 PM
I agree this is crap. Play the game.

Likwid Kerruj
12-26-2010, 05:41 PM
The league didn't want a bunch of drunken Eagles fans driving home.

Tebow has nothing on Farvahrah who managed to collapse a dome and bring a blizzard to the east coast.

frerottenextelway
12-26-2010, 05:48 PM
Probably want to do a test run on having Tuesday night games.

razorwire77
12-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Seriously, it's not a ****ing Hurricane, it's snow. Play the game.

I remember a Broncos/Chargers game (1987?) being played in conditions just as bad.

gunns
12-26-2010, 05:57 PM
How many of these games have there been and they still have them and the stadiums still fill up. Bunch of wusses.

bronco610
12-26-2010, 09:29 PM
NFL has really punked out on this SNF game in Philly. Worried about the precedent this sets. Now the league is hiding behind "concerns for public safety". Further wussification of the NFL. Apparently Goodell never would have let the Ice Bowl be played.

What I was saying all evening long.

missingnumber7
12-27-2010, 07:31 AM
Kinda hard to go against a city that has declared a snow emergency. I think the city set the president. But again, not that I agree with the leagues decision.

Hogan11
12-27-2010, 08:13 AM
The NFL has become a puss league, this is just another step towards that end.

Broncobiv
12-27-2010, 08:17 AM
I believe the decision to postpone the game was due to speculation that stadium workers and fans would not be able to get to and from the stadium safely. So now that it is Monday morning...how bad WAS the storm? Would it have been an unsafe nightmare for everyone to travel to and from the stadium afterall? Or was there an over-reaction?

Gort
12-27-2010, 08:39 AM
I believe the decision to postpone the game was due to speculation that stadium workers and fans would not be able to get to and from the stadium safely. So now that it is Monday morning...how bad WAS the storm? Would it have been an unsafe nightmare for everyone to travel to and from the stadium afterall? Or was there an over-reaction?

12 inches in Philly. some mail won't be delivered there today.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local-beat/Snow-is-Ending-112495589.html

tsiguy96
12-27-2010, 08:46 AM
visanthe said this type of weather is par for the course for minnesota.

elsid13
12-27-2010, 08:53 AM
Public safety and potential loss of life > then a football game.

I know folks think the NFL is important, but it just a game. A remember the more public safety coverage Philly has to put at the game means the less resources for the rest of the city.

Hogan11
12-27-2010, 08:58 AM

I know folks think the NFL is important, but it just a game. A remember the more public safety coverage Philly has to put at the game means the less resources for the rest of the city.

Just to play Devil's advocate here, they could say that about any snow storm/weather event.

Hogan11
12-27-2010, 09:01 AM
Seriously, it's not a ****ing Hurricane, it's snow. Play the game.

I remember a Broncos/Chargers game (1987?) being played in conditions just as bad.

I remember a Colts/Dolphins game in the '70's that was played during a landfalling tropical depression. Can't find a link to it, but I remember Bert Jones trying to throw a pass and the wind blew it right back and behind him. It looked like a punt straight out of the Charlie Brown comic strip.

TailgateNut
12-27-2010, 09:04 AM
They don't cancel games is Denver due to "snow events". WTF is this league turning into?

Soon we'll have to add a roof to Mile high cause the players and stadium personell might get wet.

Rohirrim
12-27-2010, 09:09 AM
Remember that Broncos/GBay MNF game in the 80s where you couldn't see the field and the Broncos scored like three times in the first five minutes? It was great. I remember wondering where the hell the ball was because sometimes you just couldn't see through the snow.

Hogan11
12-27-2010, 09:10 AM
How about the Fog Bowl between the Bears & Eagles a few years back?

elsid13
12-27-2010, 09:11 AM
Just to play Devil's advocate here, they could say that about any snow storm/weather event.

They can, but it depends on weather condition and situation. When the government declares a state of emergency, then everything takes a back seat to ensuring public safety.

Gort
12-27-2010, 09:15 AM
I remember a Colts/Dolphins game in the '70's that was played during a landfalling tropical depression. Can't find a link to it, but I remember Bert Jones trying to throw a pass and the wind blew it right back and behind him. It looked like a punt straight out of the Charlie Brown comic strip.

Bert Jones is a really under appreciated QB from the 70's. the guy played his heart out. i miss those Colts teams of the mid-70's.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/1976/0913_large.jpg

frerottenextelway
12-27-2010, 09:15 AM

Blah. I live on the other corner of the state, and you literally need 3 feet of snow to get a cancellation of school for kids. This is bogus.

Beantown Bronco
12-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Can we please stop comparing Philly to places like Minnesota and Denver when it comes to snow. We all know that some places get a ton more snow than others and deal with it better. Philly isn't necessarily one of those places. I have a lot of family down in that area and things literally shut down for a day with 6 inches of snow if the timing is right. This was a bad storm up and down the coast and places like Philly simply don't have the same snow removal infrastructure that places like Minnesota and Denver do. And because of the timing of the storm, it's very likely that everyone at the game would've gotten stranded there because the snow would've been plowed up all around them and digging out of multiple foot drifts would've been near impossible.

Broncobiv
12-27-2010, 07:25 PM

O.K., so 12 inches. Was that enough so that fans and stadium workers wouldn't have been able to get to/from the stadium safely? Would people have died?

(I'm just looking for a way to confirm that Goodell over-reacted to this "winter storm emergency")

TDmvp
12-27-2010, 07:33 PM

Yup ... and If there is certain classes of snow emergencies you aint even allowed to drive unless it's a emergency.

All these people banging there chest acting like this is some big deal that they didn't play really need to stop action like 20 year old bullet proof guys and realize risking peoples lives and a cities resources to get a game in under bad conditions is pointless in the grand scheme ...

Garcia Bronco
12-27-2010, 07:49 PM

a foot? that's it? LMAO

ak1971
12-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Awesome!

Chinese residents would have marched to the stadium, he said, and done calculus all the way down!

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/pennsylvania-governor-said-china-wouldnt-have-canceled-the-eagles-game-2010-12#ixzz19Nm9MY6w