PDA

View Full Version : Elway to become top executive, buying stake in team

tsiguy96
12-26-2010, 09:24 AM
Glazer: John Elway will become the top #Broncos executive within next 2 weeks. Discussions ongoing w/ Elway willing to buy stake in team.

should be interesting to see how this works out. he knows football, but he knows what he isnt capable of doing, i dont think he will overstep his bounds or his knowledge

Hogan11
12-26-2010, 09:27 AM
I thought he already had a small piece of the team

vercingetorix
12-26-2010, 09:30 AM
Edgar Kaiser...

McDman
12-26-2010, 09:30 AM
Shweet.

Hercules Rockefeller
12-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Christ, this is like the CU hire all over again

Can't wait to see what former Bronco is hired as the HC now just so all the fans can get their '97-'98 chubbies and live in the past.

So JE has owned an AFL team, how does that qualify him to be a high level executive in the NFL again?

tsiguy96
12-26-2010, 09:39 AM

Can't wait to see what former Bronco is hired as the HC now just so all the fans can get their '97-'98 chubbies and live in the past.

So JE has owned an AFL team, how does that qualify him to be a high level executive in the NFL again?

because a business man and good football mind is coming in as an executive, that makes it a total disaster?

eddie mac
Kubiak nailed on now.

razorwire77
This is a good thing. Having a man that essentially is the Bronco brand as a visible presence within the franchise will help the rebuilding process. Now let's go get a strong GM.

montrose
12-26-2010, 09:40 AM

You'll see him on the sidelines today
http://assets.sbnation.com/imported_assets/11722/435823320_t220.jpg

CEH
12-26-2010, 09:40 AM
Elway joining Denver was the worst kept secret in the league. Been a foregone conclusion for weeks now ever since Elway and Bowlen having dinner the day McD was fired. Elway always wanted to own a team no suprise there as well. The Bowlen siblings not wanting any part of the team going forward makes this understandable. John gets a minority ownship setting up the transsition to a group driven by Elway owning the Broncos in the future

footstepsfrom#27
12-26-2010, 09:42 AM
Edgar Kaiser...
Stay tuned...I don't expect he'll challenge a small piece but a full blown sale? Yeah...

I knew this was in the works for Elway though...I sure hope John's ready for this because I'd hate to see his name tanished with the keystone cops FO we currently have.

The timing of this makes the Andrew Luck sweepstakes even more interesting.

Broncos_OTM
12-26-2010, 09:42 AM
well i think that pretty much means taht we are not gonna try adn go out and get a gm were gonna keep the one we have. After pat said he was gonna restructure. i would be dissappointed if he did it this way. Elwaywould be cool as long as he takes out ellis

tsiguy96
12-26-2010, 09:44 AM
well i think that pretty much means taht we are not gonna try adn go out and get a gm were gonna keep the one we have. After pat said he was gonna restructure. i would be dissappointed if he did it this way. Elwaywould be cool as long as he takes out ellis

guy on sirius radio nailed it..fans always need to call for someones head, all the time.

footstepsfrom#27
12-26-2010, 09:44 AM
It might...or might not. I posed the same question a couple weeks ago, and the answer is...we don't know yet.

Bowlen is not long for the ownership role here I think.

gunns
12-26-2010, 10:28 AM
I hope this is an indication Elway may become the majority owner and take over for Bowlen. This would be preferable with his competitve nature and seeing how Bowlen handled the team, excellently, when Elway was playing.

Likwid Kerruj
12-26-2010, 10:30 AM
Edgar Kaiser is on the phone with his lawyer.

frerottenextelway
12-26-2010, 10:33 AM
I hope this is an indication Elway may become the majority owner and take over for Bowlen. This would be preferable with his competitve nature and seeing how Bowlen handled the team, excellently, when Elway was playing.

I can't imagine even Elway has that kind of money.

vercingetorix
12-26-2010, 10:35 AM

Well, that original purchase for a few years back was contested by Kaiser. He won the original case but lost the appeal. So, apparently the transaction held up in court.

...so maybe theyll just do the original transaction since thats already held up in court?

BTW, how old is Kaiser now and why is it a certainty that he could afford buying a significant portion of the shares?

spdirty
12-26-2010, 10:38 AM

He's John ****ing Elway. That makes him qualified to fly to the moon, command an army, be president, or run a franchise if he wanted.

Inkana7
12-26-2010, 10:43 AM
He's John ****ing Elway. That makes him qualified to fly to the moon, command an army, be president, or run a franchise if he wanted.

'Cept not really.

Not that I don't support him having some role in the organization, but just being John Elway doesn't make him qualified for anything but being a HoF QB.

HAT
12-26-2010, 10:46 AM

I'm actually hoping that Bowlen thinks Elway will be enough and there will be no temptation to hire Kub's just because he was a Bronco....Now that they have MR. Bronco.

Broncos_OTM
12-26-2010, 10:47 AM
guy on sirius radio nailed it..fans always need to call for someones head, all the time.

I was willing to give Josh another year. However since they did get rid of him it's MY opinion that they need to blow up the structure we have everyone needs to be held accountable. Includeing our coaches who dont seem to be getting the best out of their players since week 7 last year.

I am usually one of the guys willing to ride things out. However i dont wanna see yet another rebuild coming in 2-3 years. I want it done right and i dont think sanders is the guy. Hes a contract guy. Hes background doesnt come from a scouting stand point.

So keep it up with the super fan thing.

tsiguy96
12-26-2010, 10:50 AM
I was willing to give Josh another year. However since they did get rid of him it's MY opinion that they need to blow up the structure we have everyone needs to be held accountable. Includeing our coaches who dont seem to be getting the best out of their players since week 7 last year.

I am usually one of the guys willing to ride things out. However i dont wanna see yet another rebuild coming in 2-3 years. I want it done right and i dont think sanders is the guy. Hes a contract guy. Hes background doesnt come from a scouting stand point.

So keep it up with the super fan thing.

you know xanders background and scouting ability as a GM? youve seen his GM skills at work in denver when he didnt have final say on the roster?

Likwid Kerruj
12-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Xanders will be gone.

Broncos_OTM
12-26-2010, 10:58 AM
you know xanders background and scouting ability as a GM? youve seen his GM skills at work in denver when he didnt have final say on the roster?

We went with the unproven head coach. consider me a tad gun shy with a guy that has never done it beforeI want a proven guy.Number crunchers are a dime a dozen. And if you cant see the logic in the arguement i got nothing for ya brother

tsiguy96
12-26-2010, 11:01 AM
We went with the unproven head coach. consider me a tad gun shy with a guy that has never done it beforeI want a proven guy.Number crunchers are a dime a dozen. And if you cant see the logic in the arguement i got nothing for ya brother

i agree, but you are basing your argument on something you have no real evidence of. we dont know what xanders can do as a scouting or personnel guy, the people in denver now believe he will be very good per recent reports, and he knows what the team currently has and doesnt have. not the end of the world if hes given the job as a true GM and not just number cruncher/assistant GM

Hamrob
12-26-2010, 11:08 AM
I like it. I love it. If this team was willing to take a flyer on McD...why the hell wouldn't we give the same consideration to the man who took us to 5 Superbowls and 2 World Championships!

Broncos_OTM
12-26-2010, 11:09 AM
i agree, but you are basing your argument on something you have no real evidence of. we dont know what xanders can do as a scouting or personnel guy, the people in denver now believe he will be very good per recent reports, and he knows what the team currently has and doesnt have. not the end of the world if hes given the job as a true GM and not just number cruncher/assistant GM

I know Xanders had little to no control over personel. However with all that is coming out of Dove Valley these days im pretty willing to go in another direction. Our personel decisions for years has been shoddy and the reason we are in the predicument we are in now.

Jetmeck
12-26-2010, 11:10 AM
Elway certainly is a great leader, an excellent businessman and I do not believe you will see him try to do aNYTHING he doesn't think he is capable of. He will help surround the Broncos organization with talented quality players and coaches. Kubes as an OC would be excellent.............

tsiguy96
12-26-2010, 11:11 AM
I know Xanders had little to no control over personel. However with all that is coming out of Dove Valley these days im pretty willing to go in another direction. Our personel decisions for years has been shoddy and the reason we are in the predicument we are in now.

xanders wasnt here during most of shanahans tenure obviously, and had no final say over mcdaniels decisions. so you just want to change for the sake of change, without knowing what you really have in store at GM. sounds smart.

Broncos_OTM
12-26-2010, 11:18 AM
xanders wasnt here during shanahans tenure obviously, and had no final say over mcdaniels decisions. so you just want to change for the sake of change, without knowing what you really have in store at GM. sounds smart.

1. I was generalizeing about the lack of a strong personel dept for years. And yes he was here during shanahans tenure as the cap guy

2. I am pretty much set in my idea that Xanders wont comein and turn this franchsie around. As you were about MCD. Howd that turn out agian.

Jesterhole
12-26-2010, 11:19 AM
Why are people freaking out? John takes eliss' job, and we still hire a GM and coach. John is going to run the business, something he seems damn good at.

This is the best thing for the team moving forward...

Broncos_OTM
12-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Why are people freaking out? John takes eliss' job, and we still hire a GM and coach. John is going to run the business, something he seems damn good at.

This is the best thing for the team moving forward...

I have no issue with Elway.

Im not freaking out. Just have a opinion...

SoCalBronco
12-26-2010, 11:35 AM

Bingo.

chrisp
12-26-2010, 11:44 AM
You know what I think? Firing Josh was 100% Bowlen's decision. But I think he also decided that it was the last major decision he wanted to make - I think he doesn't trust himself any more (for whatever reason - I'm not inclined to speculate) and wants John to take his place.

This means no decisions on anything - coach, GM, structure etc - untill john is in place.

Doesn't matter that John isn't a majority owner - bowlen trusts him, and is willing to back him 100%. He effectively will be the majority owner in all but name and i think that's the role he's going to play.

So for the time being forget all this talk about who's going to be coach, GM, or what the structure will be, it will all be decided by Elway once he takes the reins. Elway will NOT be the GM, be he will decide who the GM will be, and how much power over coaching decisions that guy will have - but nothing will be decided untill its all signed, sealed and delivered...untill then everything else is just pure speculation...

Broncos_OTM
12-26-2010, 11:57 AM
You know what I think? Firing Josh was 100% Bowlen's decision. But I think he also decided that it was the last major decision he wanted to make - I think he doesn't trust himself any more (for whatever reason - I'm not inclined to speculate) and wants John to take his place.

This means no decisions on anything - coach, GM, structure etc - untill john is in place.

Doesn't matter that John isn't a majority owner - bowlen trusts him, and is willing to back him 100%. He effectively will be the majority owner in all but name and i think that's the role he's going to play.

So for the time being forget all this talk about who's going to be coach, GM, or what the structure will be, it will all be decided by Elway once he takes the reins. Elway will NOT be the GM, be he will decide who the GM will be, and how much power over coaching decisions that guy will have - but nothing will be decided untill its all signed, sealed and delivered...untill then everything else is just pure speculation...

Excellant post.

Karenin
12-26-2010, 12:00 PM

Ummm.... no. You don't really get it. Elway probably doesn't have 5% of the money necessary to become a majority owner.

OBF1
12-26-2010, 12:06 PM

I don't know.... Let me think for a moment. Has a degree from Stanford University, Owned and sold John Elway motors in Denver for $85,000,000.00. currently ownes 3 car dealships in Southern California, Elway was elected chairman of the Arena Football League's executive committee.

Nope, Can not think of a single reason John Elway is qualified for anything football related, But you are so much more qualified to point out his lack of business experience.

Jesterhole
12-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Ummm.... no. You don't really get it. Elway probably doesn't have 5% of the money necessary to become a majority owner.

Um, no, you don't get it. John is a rich, famous buisnessman with tons of connections. John would have no problem getting an investment team together if he wants to. You think all the other NFL owners had the cash on their own?

meangene
12-26-2010, 12:16 PM
The first evidence that Elway is ready for this job is if he hires a competent GM to replace Xanders and does not hire Kubes just because of their past relationship. We will find out real quick what kind of executive he is going to make because major decisions will be made very soon.

NFLBRONCO
12-26-2010, 12:26 PM
The first evidence that Elway is ready for this job is if he hires a competent GM to replace Xanders and does not hire Kubes just because of their past relationship. We will find out real quick what kind of executive he is going to make because major decisions will be made very soon.

Agree 100% about Elway

Right now I'm expecting Xanders and Kubes combo (Please prove me wrong this combo makes me ill)

Bronco Yoda
12-26-2010, 12:33 PM
I like it!

No, I LOVE IT!

Gutless Drunk
12-26-2010, 12:41 PM
Jay Glazer reporting Elway is putting together a list of GM & Head Coach candidates:

<object classid="clsid:" id="gtk0gv6f" width="600" height="438"><param name="movie" value="http://img.widgets.video.s-msn.com/flash/customplayer/1_0/customplayer.swf" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" /><param name="base" value="." /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="flashvars" value="player.c=v&player.v=3ebb903f-e343-456b-b379-2db3df200e3b&mkt=en-us&configCsid=msnvideo&configName=syndicationplayer&from=foxsports_en-us_videocentral&brand=foxsports&fg=" /><embed src="http://img.widgets.video.s-msn.com/flash/customplayer/1_0/customplayer.swf" width="600" height="438" id="ng2mn8rg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" base="." wmode="transparent" flashvars="player.c=v&player.v=3ebb903f-e343-456b-b379-2db3df200e3b&mkt=en-us&configCsid=msnvideo&configName=syndicationplayer&from=foxsports_en-us_videocentral&brand=foxsports&fg="></embed></object><noembed><a href="http://msn.foxsports.com/video?vid=3ebb903f-e343-456b-b379-2db3df200e3b" target="_new" title="">Glazer's Edge: Tebow the man?</a></noembed>

DenverBroncosJM
12-26-2010, 12:47 PM
Jesus Christ on the cross.

This is a ****ing disaster, I don't care WTF elway has done with his dealerships. He sold hose dealerships when the market was out of control and still rising so don't throw numbers around like he is some brain child. Yes he graduated from Stanford you also understand he was the QB? He would have to never ever show to a class to not graduate.

This is a damn disaster. We had better hope and pray Xanders is gone or this is going to get worse much worse. When we draft luck and everyone shouts don't cry here. Tebow is a "cash cow" from a business stand point you ride him until he is done. Drafting luck will screw that up.

Wow I'm amazed, I am more amazed that people think this is a good move. Rod Smith was a he'll of a reciever doesn't mean he knows **** about coffee no matter how much revenue it brings in

serious hops
12-26-2010, 12:47 PM

Indeed.

montrose
12-26-2010, 12:49 PM
I love what John did for the team as a player but he's less qualified to be a VP of Football Ops right now then Josh McDaniels was to be a HC in 2009 when hired. I hope I'm wrong and John is lights out rebuilding this club but I fear the franchise is going to sink to new lows - especially with a nearly-unfireable man in charge.

On another note - those who think Ellis is going to be fired are crazy. He's not going anywhere.

Bronco Yoda
12-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Just everyone be happy that we're injecting some Bronco blood back into this lifeless franchise.

If things go south, then we'll cross that bridge.

Requiem
12-26-2010, 12:53 PM
http://thefru.co.uk/frumu/files/2010/10/soitbegins.jpg

Tom G
12-26-2010, 12:54 PM
I'm hoping that Elway dangles the GM slot in front of DeCosta with the HC reporting to him (DeCosta) and having a major say over who the HC will be.
It's probably the only way to get him away from the Ravens. He's young (39) but is recognized by most in the industry as a superstar on player acquisition. His track record on the Raven drafts is almost perfect (hey, want a 3-4 defense, how about having Ngata and Cody as 350# NTs both drafted in the last 4 years (yeah, I know Ngata usually lines up at DE, but what a nice set of options to have). He has no where to go in the Ravens organization since his boss (Ozzie Newsome) is also young, another superstar, and has the job and title that the Broncos could offer DeCosta.

By the way, DeCosta was a finalist for the GM job at Seattle last year, but removed his name at the last minute. Don't know why but suspect it had to do with HC reporting.

Tom G
12-26-2010, 12:57 PM
PS: If we get DeCosta, then obviously leave what to do with the Xman up to DeCosta.

extralife
12-26-2010, 02:18 PM
I don't care if they keep Xanders or bring in another stooge, Elway is going to be the GM of this team. Only it will be even worse than that: he will be the shadow GM, and we'll continue to have a murky front office where no one really knows who the hell is making the calls. There is no way this works out.

Broncoman13
12-26-2010, 02:40 PM
I don't understand why people are so against Kubiak??? He has the perfect offense for Tebow. His problem this year has been injuries and a defense that can compete with ours for worst in the league honors. We get Kubiak and a good DC and I am happy!

Broncoman13
12-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Also wanted to note that there has already been some "chatter" regarding a Harbaugh/Luck combo in Denver. Should we get the top pick I'd say there is probably a 75% chance of that happening.

And this whole Elway thing was close to happening two years ago. I truly believe this was Pat's original plan and somewhere along the way he was talked into going with Ellis/X/McD. I think we will see for sure in the coming weeks/months. I don't expect Ellis to be kept around in his present role.

Kaylore
12-26-2010, 02:52 PM

This. Absolutely this. I'm beginning to hate my own fan base. No plan for success, just tipping the hat to "the glory days."

Well in a year when Kubiak or whoever has at most four wins, we'll see how much nostalgia people are feeling then. Of course then they'll beg for Shanahan back.

Atwater His Ass
12-26-2010, 03:10 PM
There's nothing to say that Kubiak couldn't be successful in Denver. Quite the contrary actually. But it's more fun to be a sensationlist about everything on the internet.

I see a lot of the same guys that were saying what a great hire Josh was and to give him 3 years to turn it around. You all couldn't have been more wrong, but don't let that stop you pretending to speak from some made up position of authority or "football" knowledge. Yeah, that's why you're all posting on a fan message board.

Inkana7
12-26-2010, 03:14 PM
There's nothing to say that Kubiak couldn't be successful in Denver. Quite the contrary actually. But it's more fun to be a sensationlist about everything on the internet.

I see a lot of the same guys that were saying what a great hire Josh was and to give him 3 years to turn it around. You all couldn't have been more wrong, but don't let that stop you pretending to speak from some made up position of authority or "football" knowledge. Yeah, that's why you're all posting on a fan message board.

Hahaha. It's about time somebody said what had been implied for weeks. That anyone who supported Josh has zero football knowledge and is in no position to give opinions on anything ever again.

Thanks, bro. I guess anyone who supports the coach of their favorite team is just a know nothing when it comes to football.

Chris
12-26-2010, 03:26 PM

There is something big thing saying Kubiak won't be successful in Denver. He isn't successful in Houston and he has a much more talented team there. He has never made the playoffs and he loses the majority of the close games.

SJ Bronco
12-26-2010, 03:57 PM
Damn

Broncoman13
12-26-2010, 04:30 PM
This. Absolutely this. I'm beginning to hate my own fan base. No plan for success, just tipping the hat to "the glory days."

Well in a year when Kubiak or whoever has at most four wins, we'll see how much nostalgia people are feeling then. Of course then they'll beg for Shanahan back.

Hahaha, I think only a select few are looking at Kubiak to recreate something we had in the late 90's. I mean, most are smart enough to understand that he isn't going to bring back Elway or TD. But keep tooting that horn, it remains funny as hell.

atomicbloke
12-26-2010, 05:45 PM
This means Elway is going to be an "owner", not an employee of the "Broncos".

This makes sense. With Bowlen getting up there in age, I don't mind Elway running Dove Valey. He and Bowlen are now partners, and are not in an employer-employee relationship.

And lets not judge Elway until he makes his GM / HC selections. That he'll hire Kubiak and bring back the class of 97/98 is pure speculation. He has not made any official statement to that effect.

Kaylore
12-26-2010, 06:00 PM
Hahaha, I think only a select few are looking at Kubiak to recreate something we had in the late 90's. I mean, most are smart enough to understand that he isn't going to bring back Elway or TD. But keep tooting that horn, it remains funny as hell.

Where did this come from? And when have I been tooting that horn or whatever? I've been arguing against this idea since the Ticket has been spreading rumors that we're "going nostalgic" since McD got fired. Do we have a problem I missed?

Broncoman13
12-26-2010, 06:29 PM
Do the Broncos have a problem? Is that your question? And you are the one that said you're beginning to hate your own fan base. You alluded to it being the result of fans stupidity in wanting Kubiak back for nostalgic reasons. Do you really believe that most fans want Kubes back due to the SB success or b/c he is a pretty good offensive mind that can get the most out of Tebow's abilities???

Mr. Elway
12-26-2010, 06:38 PM
Anyone who thinks that hiring Elway as the top exec is a step backwards - given the fact that that position is currently occupied by Joe Ellis - well, they have a different opinion than me.

Elway may not have the proven credentials to be a full GM, but he does know the game, he does have success as an executive in another league, and he does bring some stability to the franchise. There are much, much worse moves we could make given our position. I am not betting against him.

razorwire77
12-26-2010, 06:39 PM
I'm excited to see Elway as an executive within the organization, and I'm cautiously optimistic that he won't turn this opportunity into a 1998 Good Ole' Boys reunion. I don't have anything to base that opinion other than Elway being a hyper competitive personality, who wants to win above all. We'll know at the end of the season if brings in a guy like DeCosta before hiring a coach.

listopencil
12-26-2010, 06:42 PM

Yep. I was going to post pretty much the same thing.

Atwater His Ass
12-26-2010, 06:58 PM
There is something big thing saying Kubiak won't be successful in Denver. He isn't successful in Houston and he has a much more talented team there. He has never made the playoffs and he loses the majority of the close games.

You're right. Nothing ever changes, nobody ever gets better or learns from mistakes. New environments don't ever help. Working with different people is a no-no. Got it.

lostknight
12-26-2010, 07:05 PM
Kubiak as a OC in Denver, with someone like Nolan as HC would be a phenominal choice.

Any one else note how good Tebow looked on thoose two bootlegs?

BroncoInferno
12-26-2010, 07:14 PM
I don't care if they keep Xanders or bring in another stooge, Elway is going to be the GM of this team. Only it will be even worse than that: he will be the shadow GM, and we'll continue to have a murky front office where no one really knows who the hell is making the calls. There is no way this works out.

Elway has already flat out stated that he does not want to have personnel control because he has no experience at that. I'm with the guy who said Elway can gain my confidence by hiring an empowered GM (e.g. DeCosta) and letting him have significant say in the head coaching hire (i.e. NOT his buddy Kubiak).

BroncoInferno
12-26-2010, 07:18 PM
I don't understand why people are so against Kubiak??? He has the perfect offense for Tebow. His problem this year has been injuries and a defense that can compete with ours for worst in the league honors. We get Kubiak and a good DC and I am happy!

I mentioned this in another thread, but it bears repeating:

Why do so many folks assume that all Kubiak needs is to be paired with a great DC and PRESTO!...he'll magically become a sucessful head coach? It seems naive to me. I mean, how did that strategy work out for us when Shanny brought in Ray Rhodes and Jim Bates, two coaches with previously sterling reputations as DCs? I'll refesh your memory...it didn't work out well in either case. in the case of Bates, it was an outright disaster.

broncocalijohn
12-26-2010, 07:20 PM

Because he has played football his whole career and during that time he owned numerous car dealerships, sold them for a huge profit, owns a restuarant and is involved in other adventures and then decided to get back into the car dealerships business again and owns multi ones currently. You can always have that great executive Ellis running the team for Bowlen with his mass appeal and great knowledge of the game. Hilarious!

snowspot66
12-26-2010, 07:24 PM
Elway has already flat out stated that he does not want to have personnel control because he has no experience at that. I'm with the guy who said Elway can gain my confidence by hiring an empowered GM (e.g. DeCosta) and letting him have significant say in the head coaching hire (i.e. NOT his buddy Kubiak).

What if a DeCosta type GM wants Kubiak?

Garcia Bronco
12-26-2010, 07:29 PM
"Who's running the team?"

"Top men."

BroncoInferno
12-26-2010, 07:31 PM
What if a DeCosta type GM wants Kubiak?

Unlikely. Most empowered GMs bring in a guy who they have worked with before. If he did make that hire, I would find it curious and wonder if he wasn't getting pressured by Elway, but I would hope for the best. Hell, I'll hope for the best if we hire him anyway, and give him a fair chance to succeed or fail. My expectations would be that we'd field a very good offense and a terrible defense.