PDA

View Full Version : Ohio State Players Suspended for Free Tattoos

Pony Boy
12-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Terrelle Pryor Among Five Ohio State Football Players Suspended For First Five Games Next Season

Ohio State Investigates Possible NCAA Infractions Involving allegations that several of its football players bartered tattoos in exchange for autographs.

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2010/12/22/1892834/ohio-state-tattoo-autograph-violation-ncaa-infraction-terrelle-pryor

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Five Ohio State football players, including quarterback Terrelle Pryor, must sit out the first five games of the 2011 season for accepting improper benefits, the NCAA ruled Thursday.

A sixth football player must sit out the first game in 2011 for receiving discounted services in violation of NCAA rules.

All of the players be eligible for the Jan. 4 Allstate Sugar Bowl, however.

Five players were found to have sold awards, gifts and university apparel, plus receive improper benefits in 2009. In addition to missing five games next season, Pryor, Mike Adams, Daniel Herron, Devier Posey and Solomon Thomas must repay money and benefits ranging in value from $1,000 to $2,500. The repayments must be made to a charity.

Jordan Whiting must sit out the first game next year and pay $150 to a charity for the value of services that were discounted because of his status as a student-athlete.

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith said the school will appeal the suspensions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5950873

PRBronco
12-23-2010, 11:26 AM
McD clearly left his mark on OSU :notthissh

Where's Pryor projected to go if he enters the draft?

Pony Boy
12-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Of course, they will get to play in the Sugar Bowl because as we know "it's all about the money".

Beantown Bronco
12-23-2010, 11:28 AM
I love the hypocrisy of the NCAA.

Pony Boy
12-23-2010, 11:30 AM
I always wondered how they could afford all those tattoos, and not to menton the diamond stud ear rings as big as walnuts.

Mjolnir
12-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Let'em play in the Sugar Bowl. That'll teach'em NCAA.

Los Broncos
12-23-2010, 11:33 AM
I need a tattoo for some street cred, maybe I can hook up with these guys.

worm
12-23-2010, 11:37 AM
How the NCAA can take themselves seriously is beyond me.

peacepipe
12-23-2010, 11:40 AM
McD clearly left his mark on OSU :notthissh

Where's Pryor projected to go if he enters the draft?probably no earlier than the 4th rd & that's being nice. He's not going to have much of a choice but to suck it up and miss 5 games.

Jason in LA
12-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Well, it was more than tattoos.

But I do think the NCAA is full of it. Cam Newton is shopped around for $180,000, and his father probably got the money, and he's able to play. But some Ohio St players sell some of their own stuff and they get a five game ban?!?! That makes no sense. Well, if the NCAA wanted to make sure they had two big time teams in their title game, then it makes sense.

Pony Boy
12-23-2010, 01:12 PM
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WgM6kAy4-uk&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WgM6kAy4-uk&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Taco John
12-23-2010, 01:14 PM
IMO, they should pay the players. It's such a racket.

Jesterhole
12-23-2010, 01:18 PM
The NCAA is a total scam. They profit in the millions off these kids, don't pay a dime in taxes and then screw over the same kids if they try and get anything for their value.

A lot of these kids should be making 6 figures for producing entertainment that produces hundreds of millions of dollars. Instead, they get a "free ride" that ends up being worth 1/10th of what they should be compensated for.

Taco John
12-23-2010, 01:20 PM
The NCAA is a total scam. They profit in the millions off these kids, don't pay a dime in taxes and then screw over the same kids if they try and get anything for their value.

A lot of these kids should be making 6 figures for producing entertainment that produces hundreds of millions of dollars. Instead, they get a "free ride" that ends up being worth 1/10th of what they should be compensated for.

A redshirt contributor doesn't get a free ride, and still can't go out and get a job or do anything to better themselves financially.

Dr. Broncenstein
12-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Won't somebody think of the indentured child slaves and their free college education?

Kaylore
12-23-2010, 01:31 PM
Well, it was more than tattoos.

But I do think the NCAA is full of it. Cam Newton is shopped around for $180,000, and his father probably got the money, and he's able to play. But some Ohio St players sell some of their own stuff and they get a five game ban?!?! That makes no sense. Well, if the NCAA wanted to make sure they had two big time teams in their title game, then it makes sense.

That's money that was for the NCAA. Can't be giving any money to these "amateur" athletes now!!!! Those jersey sales and tv contracts need to go straight to the NCAA for the integrity of college athletes everywhere!!!!!! :wiggle:

Pony Boy
12-23-2010, 01:52 PM
It would be interesting if WikiLeaks had the emails discussing if Cam Newton and Terrelle Pryor should be BCS bowl eligible.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://orangemane.com/BB/ /><o:p><FONT size=3 face= </o:p>

Pony Boy
12-23-2010, 02:15 PM
Pryor must repay $2,500 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring, a 2009 Fiesta Bowl sportsmanship award and his 2008 Gold Pants, a gift from the university for players on a team that beats arch-rival Michigan.

Bronco Vixen
12-23-2010, 02:19 PM
wow, that'll really hurt them in those early monster games against youngstown state, kent state, & marshall.

Bronco Vixen
12-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Actually, upon further review, it appears xmas just came early for the Buffaloes!

PRBronco
12-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Pryor must repay $2,500 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring, a 2009 Fiesta Bowl sportsmanship award and his 2008 Gold Pants, a gift from the university for players on a team that beats arch-rival Michigan.

Hahahaha gold pants! I cant' believe he sold those. Suspension deserved imo.

Pony Boy
12-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Hahahaha gold pants! I cant' believe he sold those. Suspension deserved imo.

What's really funny is the guy that bought them.....:wiggle:

Cool Breeze
12-23-2010, 04:07 PM
No hookers and guns? What were they thinking...

zdoor
12-23-2010, 06:48 PM
That is BS. The NCAA is a friggin joke...

SoCalBronco
12-24-2010, 12:06 AM
This is GREAT, they are going to miss the Miami game. We finally get some good luck going our way. Without Pryor and Herron, we'll be able to take them down.

HAT
12-24-2010, 12:34 AM

Total and complete BS. He gained those possessions legally and they should be his to do whatever with, including sell.

As for the tattoos...BS as well. They traded ink.

SouthStndJunkie
12-24-2010, 02:04 AM
I think Terrelle Pryor will declare for the draft if they keep his suspension at 5 games.

I think Pryor will make the transition to WR in the NFL and will be a mismatch for opposing teams.

6'6 and 240 pounds with 4.3/4.4 speed.

He looks like he is moving slower than he is when he runs, but he eats up ground and glides.

He is smooth enough of an athlete to excel on jump balls and will probably be a nice deep threat.

I'll be interested to see how this plays out, but ultimately I think he will be a good NFL WR.

HAT
12-24-2010, 09:32 AM
I think Terrelle Pryor will declare for the draft if they keep his suspension at 5 games.

I think Pryor will make the transition to WR in the NFL and will be a mismatch for opposing teams.

6'6 and 240 pounds with 4.3/4.4 speed.

He looks like he is moving slower than he is when he runs, but he eats up ground and glides.

He is smooth enough of an athlete to excel on jump balls and will probably be a nice deep threat.

I'll be interested to see how this plays out, but ultimately I think he will be a good NFL WR.

I wouldn't mind if Denver took him in the third as a Gates type TE.

Jason in LA
12-24-2010, 10:26 AM
The NCAA is a joke, but paying players would be a horrible idea. It just can't be done. Somebody mentioned 6 figures. Yeah right. That's one can of worms you don't want opened.

Are their going to be pay scales? Like, the starters get paid more? Or the stars of the teams get paid more? Will the RB get played more than the OG? That has disaster written all over it. Is everybody on the team paid equal? Do teams with more money get to pay their players more? If that's the case then the competitive balance would be even more off than it is now. The top programs get the best talent as it is now. If they can pay more for players then they'll really get all of the talent.

How about programs that don't pull a profit? How are they going to pay the players? I guess their just screwed.

So, since the players are going to get paid, will their be a player's union? A CBA? Man, talk about a nightmare.

Will all athletes get paid, or only the football and men's basketball players get paid. Yeah, that's going to work. So the water polo player gets nothing? Oh, and lets not forget about Title IX. Yeah, that right there kills the whole thing. There is no way to get around that. Everybody will be getting paid and it will be equal.

The way I see it, the athletes have a sweet deal. For some reason people undervalue what they are getting. First of all, a free education isn't a great value? That's just insane. I've heard people say that most of these players aren't there for that education and they're not going to graduate anyway. That's just a silly. I don't feel bad for anybody who is given something of great value (free education) and doesn't take advantage of it. Sucks for you moron. Most of these players aren't going to play pro, but that education could set them up nice for the rest of their life. If they don't see the value of that and take advantage of it, then sucks for them.

That scholarship includes free room and board. So, these guys don't have to pay rent or buy their own food. They are fed for free! That's huge! When I was in college I wish I didn't have to pay rent or buy food, and I was an athlete! And really looking at it, they get free clothes. Okay, they aren't rocking the designer jeans and all those busy ass shirts that young folks like to wear, but the schools gives them all kind of university clothing. If they want to look fresh, then their parents, who no longer have to house them, feed them, or pay for their schooling, can pitch in and make their kid look fresh so he isn't rocking sweats at the party.

One more major thing that nobody ever talks about. These players are getting free, top of the line training that can get them to the next level. My son is a freshman wide receiver in high school and he works with coaches outside of the high school program. Because the coaches in the program aren't very good. Well those coaches outside of the program, who are improving his chances to get to the next level, cost a lot of money. These college players are getting that coaching for free, and it's better than the coaching that parents with kids in high school or younger are paying for.

These college players are also being put on a stage that gives them free promotion. They don't have to pay for that. Lets say a Reggie Bush, who signed like a $50 million rookie contract, decided that he didn't want to get pimped by the NCAA, so he didn't play. Okay then how is he going to get that $50 million contract? He didn't have to go to USC. He could have sat out three years after high school and then tried to go to the draft. Yeah, lets see how that works out. No free training to make him into a super star player. No TV time. No $50 million contract. The things that he needed to get to get that big contract, he got all that for free! Lets see a player like him go play semi pro football out of high school, where he has to pay to play and he won't get any legit training or exposure. So, did a player like Reggie Bush really get pimped? With out the NCAA, he wouldn't be cashing in those big ass checks.

If a player is good enough to have his jersey sold, he shouldn't be mad. He should see it as a sign that he's good enough to play at the next level, so he'll be making that money back plus a whole lot more.

So no to paying players... but the NCAA is still a joke. They need a playoff system, and they need to stop going around their own rules just to keep smaller schools out of their title game.

Archer81
12-24-2010, 10:41 AM
The NCAA is a joke, but paying players would be a horrible idea. It just can't be done. Somebody mentioned 6 figures. Yeah right. That's one can of worms you don't want opened.

Are their going to be pay scales? Like, the starters get paid more? Or the stars of the teams get paid more? Will the RB get played more than the OG? That has disaster written all over it. Is everybody on the team paid equal? Do teams with more money get to pay their players more? If that's the case then the competitive balance would be even more off than it is now. The top programs get the best talent as it is now. If they can pay more for players then they'll really get all of the talent.

How about programs that don't pull a profit? How are they going to pay the players? I guess their just screwed.

So, since the players are going to get paid, will their be a player's union? A CBA? Man, talk about a nightmare.

Will all athletes get paid, or only the football and men's basketball players get paid. Yeah, that's going to work. So the water polo player gets nothing? Oh, and lets not forget about Title IX. Yeah, that right there kills the whole thing. There is no way to get around that. Everybody will be getting paid and it will be equal.

The way I see it, the athletes have a sweet deal. For some reason people undervalue what they are getting. First of all, a free education isn't a great value? That's just insane. I've heard people say that most of these players aren't there for that education and they're not going to graduate anyway. That's just a silly. I don't feel bad for anybody who is given something of great value (free education) and doesn't take advantage of it. Sucks for you moron. Most of these players aren't going to play pro, but that education could set them up nice for the rest of their life. If they don't see the value of that and take advantage of it, then sucks for them.

That scholarship includes free room and board. So, these guys don't have to pay rent or buy their own food. They are fed for free! That's huge! When I was in college I wish I didn't have to pay rent or buy food, and I was an athlete! And really looking at it, they get free clothes. Okay, they aren't rocking the designer jeans and all those busy ass shirts that young folks like to wear, but the schools gives them all kind of university clothing. If they want to look fresh, then their parents, who no longer have to house them, feed them, or pay for their schooling, can pitch in and make their kid look fresh so he isn't rocking sweats at the party.

One more major thing that nobody ever talks about. These players are getting free, top of the line training that can get them to the next level. My son is a freshman wide receiver in high school and he works with coaches outside of the high school program. Because the coaches in the program aren't very good. Well those coaches outside of the program, who are improving his chances to get to the next level, cost a lot of money. These college players are getting that coaching for free, and it's better than the coaching that parents with kids in high school or younger are paying for.

These college players are also being put on a stage that gives them free promotion. They don't have to pay for that. Lets say a Reggie Bush, who signed like a $50 million rookie contract, decided that he didn't want to get pimped by the NCAA, so he didn't play. Okay then how is he going to get that $50 million contract? He didn't have to go to USC. He could have sat out three years after high school and then tried to go to the draft. Yeah, lets see how that works out. No free training to make him into a super star player. No TV time. No $50 million contract. The things that he needed to get to get that big contract, he got all that for free! Lets see a player like him go play semi pro football out of high school, where he has to pay to play and he won't get any legit training or exposure. So, did a player like Reggie Bush really get pimped? With out the NCAA, he wouldn't be cashing in those big ass checks.

If a player is good enough to have his jersey sold, he shouldn't be mad. He should see it as a sign that he's good enough to play at the next level, so he'll be making that money back plus a whole lot more.

So no to paying players... but the NCAA is still a joke. They need a playoff system, and they need to stop going around their own rules just to keep smaller schools out of their title game.

+ 1

:Broncos:

Jesterhole
12-24-2010, 10:55 AM
+ 1

No, water polo and womens sports don't deserve money, because they don't produce a product that anyone wants. Just like womens professional basketball.

There are millions of dollars being made, tax free, off the sweat and sacrifice of these kids. They deserve a big piece of the big, despite whatever can of worms needs to be opened. Yes, change is scary, boo freaking hoo.

Boobs McGee
12-24-2010, 11:05 AM

What is it with people selling their rings? I understand you get hard up for money, but that's one item I would think I'd hang on to.

Jason in LA
12-24-2010, 11:05 AM
No, water polo and womens sports don't deserve money, because they don't produce a product that anyone wants. Just like womens professional basketball.

There are millions of dollars being made, tax free, off the sweat and sacrifice of these kids. They deserve a big piece of the big, despite whatever can of worms needs to be opened. Yes, change is scary, boo freaking hoo.

You can say that water polo and women's sports don't deserve money, and in theory, you'd be right. Money producing sports in theory should get more than non money producing sports. But lets see how that works out in court, when the Title IX people want their money. Yeah, the whole system will come crashing down. And not all Division I A football and men's basketball programs produce a profit. So are they also going to get paid?

And that point doesn't address the point of free training, free promotion, free housing, free food, free clothing, and oh yeah, free education!

Dr. Broncenstein
12-24-2010, 11:14 AM

They get a free college education.

Pick Six
12-24-2010, 11:45 AM

I guess he better go out and get a job. Oh wait...:dunk:

Jesterhole
12-24-2010, 12:39 PM

Which is worth a fraction of what they deserve. This is favorite line of the NCAA, and it holds no water.

Dr. Broncenstein
12-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Which is worth a fraction of what they deserve. This is favorite line of the NCAA, and it holds no water.

Says the guy who obviously has no idea how valuable a higher education can be. I thank god every single day for mine.

Jason in LA
12-24-2010, 02:09 PM

Lets break this down. *Note, these are rough numbers and estimates, and it's really impossible to put a true value on what the players are getting.

Lets use USC as an example, seeing that they make a boat load of money and they put a number of players in the NFL.

The estimated cost of a USC education is $56,000. That includes tuition, on campus housing, meal plan, health care, books and supplies, a parking permit, and other services. The players get all of that for free.

Now lets factor in the coaching hours, which is free of charge to these players. The players are there for 20 hours a week. During the summer and football season they are doing mainly football. During the spring a lot of them are still on a football type workout program, and many of them go play other sports. So for the sake of argument, lets say that's 20 hours a week for nine months. A top notch coach will charge a good $50 an hour. So that's a good $1,000 a month, or $9,000 a year in training that these players are getting, all comped.

So now that USC scholarship is up to about $65,000.

Now, we can't really put a price tag on the free air time that these players are getting. Reggie Bush, for example, wouldn't have been the No. 2 pick in the draft without all that TV time he got. Did he pay for TV time? Hell no. Imagine how much it would cost to buy 3 hours of air time on a major network. He gets that without investing a dime. He entered an organization, USC, that had spent millions and millions of dollars over several decades to become a national power, which helped him become a house hold name. He didn't pay for any of that. USC athletics is part of the NCAA, which has probably spent billions of dollars to become the second most popular sport in American (next to the NFL). Again, didn't Bush play any part in that.

Oh, and for the players who don't make it to the pros, or have a short career, if they were smart and got their degree, they can get a good job. And for players who went on to make a lot of money during their careers, well they'll need a job after their career is over. So that degree, if they got it, will come in handy.

Really thinking about it, it's damn near impossible to really value what these players are getting. I'd say it's well into the six figures a year.

Lets see these players make it to the NFL without the NCAA. Maybe they should go out an form their own minor league. Oh wait, they are too broke to do that, so they really need the NCAA badly.

The NCAA would continue to print money without a Reggie Bush or a Cam Newton type player. But neither of those guys would have a multimillion dollar future without the NCAA.

cutthemdown
12-24-2010, 02:10 PM
The kids that are good get a free education out of the deal. No pay for college athletes they get an education.

tsiguy96
12-24-2010, 02:27 PM

you very clearly dont have an education, nor would you understand what it takes to PAY for an education on your own. a near lifetime of debt for people who dont get it paid for them.

Jesterhole
12-24-2010, 04:06 PM
you very clearly dont have an education, nor would you understand what it takes to PAY for an education on your own. a near lifetime of debt for people who dont get it paid for them.

Lol, no, I had a plan for my life, I have one of the best careers a guy can have (designing video games) and I make so much money that I've never been in debt.

Must suck for white trash like you to hear that. I'm sorry you're in debt, maybe you shouldn't have sprung for the double wide??

Archer81
12-24-2010, 04:52 PM

Because they play a game to go to school they deserve to be paid? The logic is flawed. What about college baseball, basketball, hockey, fieldhockey, lacrosse, softball, diving, swim, wrestling or rugby teams? They play for their school. Do they deserve the same considerations? They equally sacrifice for their school and follow NCAA regulations.

In my view, they should not be paid to play a game as an amateur. A college is for education, and for a majority of the kids playing for a university their athletic ability is the bridge that allows them to get a better life and set up long term stability.

tsiguy96
12-24-2010, 04:53 PM
Lol, no, I had a plan for my life, I have one of the best careers a guy can have (designing video games) and I make so much money that I've never been in debt.

Must suck for white trash like you to hear that. I'm sorry you're in debt, maybe you shouldn't have sprung for the double wide??

:spit:

now you attack getting educated, you are just good :notworthy

Jesterhole
12-24-2010, 06:32 PM
:spit:

now you attack getting educated, you are just good :notworthy

I didn't attack it. I just didn't need a degree to become well off and successful. I'm very sorry that you paid for your degree in farm animal management and it didn't pay off like you wanted. Maybe next time you'll learn something relevant instead of screwing yourself. Actually, you'll probably just be white trash your whole life...

Jesterhole
12-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Because they play a game to go to school they deserve to be paid? The logic is flawed. What about college baseball, basketball, hockey, fieldhockey, lacrosse, softball, diving, swim, wrestling or rugby teams? They play for their school. Do they deserve the same considerations? They equally sacrifice for their school and follow NCAA regulations.

In my view, they should not be paid to play a game as an amateur. A college is for education, and for a majority of the kids playing for a university their athletic ability is the bridge that allows them to get a better life and set up long term stability.

If you earn millions of tax free dollars for a school, then you should profit from that. Case closed. Any other opinion is for fools or communists...

Dr. Broncenstein
12-24-2010, 08:59 PM
If you earn millions of tax free dollars for a school, then you should profit from that. Case closed. Any other opinion is for fools or communists...

They do profit from it in the form of a free education. But if you keep ****ing that chicken hard enough, someone is bound to notice your concern for those indentured child slaves.

tsiguy96
12-24-2010, 09:07 PM
I didn't attack it. I just didn't need a degree to become well off and successful. I'm very sorry that you paid for your degree in farm animal management and it didn't pay off like you wanted. Maybe next time you'll learn something relevant instead of screwing yourself. Actually, you'll probably just be white trash your whole life...

LOL

i love it. what was my minor?
:yayaya:

Jason in LA
12-30-2010, 10:37 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls10/sugar/news/story?id=5970169

So Jim Tressel tells the five suspended players that they have to pledge that they will return next year if they want to play in the bowl game.

Now, I already have an issue with the NCAA letting them play in the game, but that's another argument.

I'm having a problem with Tressel doing this. Really, I think it's BS. It's asking the players to make a major decision before the season is over, and it's putting them in a position where they might be lying just to play. If he's doing this with these players, then why not do that with all juniors? Especially ones who are being considered for the NFL draft.

Even with the pledges, I wouldn't have any problem with any of these players going pro. Tressel pretty much set them up to be liars. They need to do what's in their best interest.

Garcia Bronco
12-30-2010, 10:40 AM
I'd love to see the NCAA abolished.

oubronco
12-30-2010, 10:40 AM
unbelieveable

Dr. Broncenstein
12-30-2010, 11:47 AM
I double dog dare them not to pledge.

Pony Boy
12-30-2010, 11:53 AM
I double dog dare them not to pledge.

Too late they have already pledged, Jim Tressel said they would not have got on the plane had they not pledged. What a load of BS.....

Tombstone RJ
12-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Terrelle Pryor Among Five Ohio State Football Players Suspended For First Five Games Next Season

Ohio State Investigates Possible NCAA Infractions Involving allegations that several of its football players bartered tattoos in exchange for autographs.

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2010/12/22/1892834/ohio-state-tattoo-autograph-violation-ncaa-infraction-terrelle-pryor

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Five Ohio State football players, including quarterback Terrelle Pryor, must sit out the first five games of the 2011 season for accepting improper benefits, the NCAA ruled Thursday.

A sixth football player must sit out the first game in 2011 for receiving discounted services in violation of NCAA rules.

All of the players be eligible for the Jan. 4 Allstate Sugar Bowl, however.

Five players were found to have sold awards, gifts and university apparel, plus receive improper benefits in 2009. In addition to missing five games next season, Pryor, Mike Adams, Daniel Herron, Devier Posey and Solomon Thomas must repay money and benefits ranging in value from $1,000 to $2,500. The repayments must be made to a charity.

Jordan Whiting must sit out the first game next year and pay $150 to a charity for the value of services that were discounted because of his status as a student-athlete.

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith said the school will appeal the suspensions.

I'm glad the suspension is happening next season, this way Arkansas can spank Ohio State with all their good players still playing.

Tombstone RJ
12-30-2010, 11:59 AM

+1

The way college education has skyrocket in cost over the last 20 years, this is a huge payment alone.

Anyone who is mortgaging their future to pay for higher education should understand this.

Dr. Broncenstein
12-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Well I retroactively triple dog dare them.