PDA

View Full Version : Who Has Faith in Bowlen?

Rohirrim
12-06-2010, 07:24 PM
How did John Lennon put it? Just like starting over...

Well, here we go again. Do you feel confident that this time, Bowlen will get it right? Will we go forwards, or even further back?

AtlantaBronco
12-06-2010, 07:30 PM
I have more faith in him this evening that I did this morning.

wolf754life
12-06-2010, 07:31 PM
he is still the man, hopefully he has been humbled and will do it right this time

he took a shot on greatness

he missed

we move on

Eldorado
*cough*ellis*cough*

Dr. Broncenstein
My faith was renewed this afternoon. It was wearing thin.

Orange4Life
12-06-2010, 07:32 PM
I think Bowlen is making all this **** up as he goes along. From Shanny to Cutler to this. I'm really concerned that he has no plan at all and is making knee jerk decisions left and right. I just pray we are not turning into the raiders

gtown
12-06-2010, 07:32 PM
I sincerely hope he is not the next Al Davis. The front office has been inconsistent, and I felt he made the same mistakes with McD as we made with Shanny, namely the lack of a real GM.

DBroncos4life
12-06-2010, 07:33 PM
I feel like when Gandalf the Grey took that spell off the king.

ColoradoDarin
12-06-2010, 07:43 PM
I think Bowlen is making all this **** up as he goes along. From Shanny to Cutler to this. I'm really concerned that he has no plan at all and is making knee jerk decisions left and right. I just pray we are not turning into the raiders

This.

strafen
12-06-2010, 07:47 PM

The raiders are doing pretty good right now.

Broncomutt
12-06-2010, 07:49 PM
I was worried Bowlen was going to pick his wallet over Bronco success and Bronco fan dreams.

I really think Bowlen is looking for a coach that will cement his legacy. From what I've seen of Bowlen in my 28 years of fandom, I think he'll get it.

Eventually.

snowspot66
12-06-2010, 07:55 PM
The raiders are doing pretty good right now.

When you're that bad you have to come up eventually. Unless you're the Lions.

misturanderson
12-06-2010, 07:58 PM
I'll save my choice for the day he decides to/not to get a real GM/personnel guy in here. That will tell me all I need to know.

orinjkrush
12-06-2010, 07:59 PM
i don't think we're becoming the Bangles or the Cardinals.

you have to stop the bleeding first.

Dudeskey
12-06-2010, 08:07 PM
i don't think we're becoming the Bangles or the Cardinals.

you have to stop the bleeding first.

Bengals? maybe. Cardinals? no. Unlike the Bidwells, Bowlen gives a ****

SoCalBronco
12-06-2010, 08:34 PM
I have very little faith in Bowlen and even less respect for him. Bowlen's stingyness in the last ten years caused alot of our problems at the end of the Shanny era (look it up, we ranked 18.75 on average in dollars spent from 2000-2009). He made a number of misstatements and errors recently and is just a joke in general. There are very few people in the world I respect less than Bowlen and his butt buddy, Joe Ellis.

Kaylore
12-06-2010, 08:35 PM
I'm not sure. I need to see who they hire.

EmpireOrange
12-06-2010, 08:37 PM
I do! and you can take this poll and shove it up your craper pal! Bowlen just showed a ton of orange and blue blood by this move. What was developing here was a cleveland, or detroit like crew use to losing leaning on moral victories for being competitive. McDaniels was his hire, and when things went bad he admitted the mistakes and cut his losses for the good of the Broncos. Under Bowlen, the broncos became among the most winningest organizations in football with a home record unmatched by anybody in the league to date. Don't kid yourself, Bowlen loves the Broncos and he loves winning even more. What he did today was swallow his pride, admitted mistakes, and cut ties before his Denver Broncos became engulfed in a culture of losing. You, sir, can take this poll with its bs slants and shove it up your crapper! Go back to frisco polesmoker!

TonyR
12-06-2010, 08:47 PM
I'll save my choice for the day he decides to/not to get a real GM/personnel guy in here. That will tell me all I need to know.

That's where I'm at. That and the coaching hire. If the coach is hired before the GM I'm not going to be happy. And I'm not optimistic. I see them going cheap on the coach and doing very little on the GM front.

McDman
12-06-2010, 08:52 PM
He needs to show he learned from his recent fiascos with coaches who hold too much power and hire a solid GM. It is absolute necessar.

Taco John
12-06-2010, 08:59 PM
My faith in Bowlen was shaken after the Shanahan firing. Not for the fact that Shanahan was fired, but for the fact that Bowlen did absolutely zero PR leading to the firing. If Bowlen had made a statement or let a leak out that would have keyed the fan discussion around the idea that Shanahan's job was on the line, there would have been a discussion about it that would have prepared this fanbase for the move. Instead, he just yanked the carpet out from underneath the collective organization, and disenfranchised the fanbase, which in turn made it difficult for a lot of people to buy into the new direction. And I know the counter to this is "he owns the team and the fans can get bent." Yeah, sure, except that look at where that got him.

Of course, this would have been a much different story if 6-0 turned into 10-6 and a playoff berth. Or if we were in the hunt for the playoffs right now. But where things didn't work out, I think the fans would have been a lot more forgiving if he would have handled this right from the start and allowed the fans to have the discussion.

Rohirrim
12-06-2010, 09:01 PM
I do! and you can take this poll and shove it up your craper pal! Bowlen just showed a ton of orange and blue blood by this move. What was developing here was a cleveland, or detroit like crew use to losing leaning on moral victories for being competitive. McDaniels was his hire, and when things went bad he admitted the mistakes and cut his losses for the good of the Broncos. Under Bowlen, the broncos became among the most winningest organizations in football with a home record unmatched by anybody in the league to date. Don't kid yourself, Bowlen loves the Broncos and he loves winning even more. What he did today was swallow his pride, admitted mistakes, and cut ties before his Denver Broncos became engulfed in a culture of losing. You, sir, can take this poll with its bs slants and shove it up your crapper! Go back to frisco polesmoker!

Ha!

Good one.

BTW.

Who the **** are you?

spdirty
12-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Now I do.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-06-2010, 09:21 PM

Uh huh.

HILife
12-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Closed poll? I want to see who I voted for.

NFLBRONCO
12-06-2010, 09:30 PM
I am losing a bit of faith in Bowlen honestly. Only way that returns is adding a great GM first and hire a great HC choice second.

misturanderson
12-06-2010, 09:31 PM
My faith in Bowlen was shaken after the Shanahan firing. Not for the fact that Shanahan was fired, but for the fact that Bowlen did absolutely zero PR leading to the firing. If Bowlen had made a statement or let a leak out that would have keyed the fan discussion around the idea that Shanahan's job was on the line, there would have been a discussion about it that would have prepared this fanbase for the move. Instead, he just yanked the carpet out from underneath the collective organization, and disenfranchised the fanbase, which in turn made it difficult for a lot of people to buy into the new direction. And I know the counter to this is "he owns the team and the fans can get bent." Yeah, sure, except that look at where that got him.

Of course, this would have been a much different story if 6-0 turned into 10-6 and a playoff berth. Or if we were in the hunt for the playoffs right now. But where things didn't work out, I think the fans would have been a lot more forgiving if he would have handled this right from the start and allowed the fans to have the discussion.

Bowlen fired Shanny when his team crapped away a 3 game lead with 3 games to play ending with a blow-out loss in a win-and-in game against a division rival. There was no need to tease that he might fire Shanny.

What he did today was 10 times as bad. Let the guy do his presser, THEN fire him.

My God, are you 12 years old? It's a ****ing business.

Bronco Yoda
12-06-2010, 09:33 PM
I'm in a wait and see mode. Let's see what does next. This ride has just started. buckle up kiddies... it's going to be a bumpy ride.

TheReverend
12-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Today was a step forward for sure but, simply put, you just don't fire HoF coaches.

Requiem
12-06-2010, 09:45 PM
The only drunk I had faith in was Herb Brooks, but you see where that got him.

bronco militia
12-06-2010, 09:46 PM
I'm glad he fired josh, but I'm pretty sure Bowlen is clueless

Dr. Broncenstein
12-06-2010, 09:46 PM
I'm in a wait and see mode. Let's see what does next. This ride has just started. buckle up kiddies... it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Because it's been a smooth sailing luxury ride on an Egyptian cotton pillow up to this point.

Man-Goblin
12-06-2010, 09:57 PM
The all-powerful face of the francise was just fired and the owner will not be attending the press conference tomorrow. Think about that.

Pat Bowlen was a great owner. But now he's either unable or unwilling to publicly comment for himself on the state of the franchise.

This does not bode well, and we can only hope that whoever is calling the shots is smart enough to hire a football decision maker that can clean up the mess this franchise has become.

Dedhed
12-06-2010, 09:57 PM
you just don't fire HoF coaches.
That gets dumber every time you say it. Particularly with the debacle that HOF coach has created in Philly.

Taco John
12-06-2010, 10:44 PM
Bowlen fired Shanny when his team crapped away a 3 game lead with 3 games to play ending with a blow-out loss in a win-and-in game against a division rival. There was no need to tease that he might fire Shanny.

What he did today was 10 times as bad. Let the guy do his presser, THEN fire him.

My God, are you 12 years old? It's a ****ing business.

That's actually the point. It's a business. Not a fantasy football team. You have to manage the fans and fan expectations in this business or you end up losing them. I believe that's what happened here. A good number of the fans who were disillusioned from the Shanahan firing settled in with the new organization, and were willing to give them a shot. But I believe a lot of fuses were set short because of how Bowlen handled the transition. In the case of the next coach coming in, I would wager that a lot of the fuses are set a lot longer - except where the people who are disillusioned by McDaniels firing are concerned. Some of them will come around to the new coach. Some wont. The ones who do will likely have their fuses set short.

It's just the nature of people.

No, I'm not 12 years old. My background is in public relations, so I look at things through my training.

DBroncos4life
12-06-2010, 10:48 PM
I bet more then 80% of the people that voted no had 100% faith in McD for some dumb reason.

Taco John
12-06-2010, 10:51 PM
I bet more then 80% of the people that voted no had 100% faith in McD for some dumb reason.

Believe me, I'm hearing about it. It's like the McDaniels family reunion in my Rep box telling me what a bad fan I am.

DBroncos4life
12-06-2010, 10:53 PM
Believe me, I'm hearing about it. It's like the McDaniels family reunion in my Rep box telling me what a bad fan I am.

LOL just tell them that winning will cure all, which is why we fired our coach so we can win again.

NUB
12-06-2010, 11:02 PM
The smarter business option may have been to keep McDaniels on the field, the team be damned, and just muscle through whatever crap is about to come next season. That, to me, seems like it would have been the cheaper option as opposed to paying the franchise vampire millions of dollars to leave the burning house he set on fire and then paying a Fireman Jesus millions of dollars to maybe put it out.

misturanderson
12-07-2010, 12:00 AM
That's actually the point. It's a business. Not a fantasy football team. You have to manage the fans and fan expectations in this business or you end up losing them. I believe that's what happened here. A good number of the fans who were disillusioned from the Shanahan firing settled in with the new organization, and were willing to give them a shot. But I believe a lot of fuses were set short because of how Bowlen handled the transition. In the case of the next coach coming in, I would wager that a lot of the fuses are set a lot longer - except where the people who are disillusioned by McDaniels firing are concerned. Some of them will come around to the new coach. Some wont. The ones who do will likely have their fuses set short.

It's just the nature of people.

No, I'm not 12 years old. My background is in public relations, so I look at things through my training.
The reason that they had such a problem with the transition was due to the ridiculous notion that our offense was some major powerhouse that McDaniels promptly dismantled. The problem was a ton of completely unrealistic expectations and hatred for all things patriot.

The transition was fine for all but a select few, just like this one has been. It was the resulting turmoil that quickly turned everyone against the new coach and everything that happened from there made it easier for those people to dislike him, whether he was screwing up for real (Hillis, A. Smith, bad coaching hires, bad record) or not (Cutler, Marshall, Orton, Sheffler).

The fans were going to and did hate McD from the get go for a number of reasons and they only saw the bad from there on out.

It had nothing to do with the shell shock of Shanahan being fired without an extra weeks notice and everything to do with unrealistic expectations and irrational dislike that began before the fans even saw McD coach one game.

Pick Six
12-07-2010, 01:20 AM
I have very little faith in Bowlen and even less respect for him. Bowlen's stingyness in the last ten years caused alot of our problems at the end of the Shanny era (look it up, we ranked 18.75 on average in dollars spent from 2000-2009). He made a number of misstatements and errors recently and is just a joke in general. There are very few people in the world I respect less than Bowlen and his butt buddy, Joe Ellis.

Let's say you are right (and you may be right). That means Bowlen won't go after a big name coach, because of the money. He'll hire another "up and comer", and we'll be right back to this place. The wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round...:dunk:

Bronco Yoda
12-07-2010, 01:23 AM
The all-powerful face of the francise was just fired and the owner will not be attending the press conference tomorrow. Think about that.

Pat Bowlen was a great owner. But now he's either unable or unwilling to publicly comment for himself on the state of the franchise.

This does not bode well, and we can only hope that whoever is calling the shots is smart enough to hire a football decision maker that can clean up the mess this franchise has become.

A birdie whispered to me that Elway will be at the presser explaining everything.

Or maybe... I just made that up.

We'll see.... :sunshine:

Taco John
12-07-2010, 01:37 AM
The reason that they had such a problem with the transition was due to the ridiculous notion that our offense was some major powerhouse that McDaniels promptly dismantled. The problem was a ton of completely unrealistic expectations and hatred for all things patriot.

The transition was fine for all but a select few, just like this one has been. It was the resulting turmoil that quickly turned everyone against the new coach and everything that happened from there made it easier for those people to dislike him, whether he was screwing up for real (Hillis, A. Smith, bad coaching hires, bad record) or not (Cutler, Marshall, Orton, Sheffler).

The fans were going to and did hate McD from the get go for a number of reasons and they only saw the bad from there on out.

It had nothing to do with the shell shock of Shanahan being fired without an extra weeks notice and everything to do with unrealistic expectations and irrational dislike that began before the fans even saw McD coach one game.

The tact "I'm the boss and you will listen to what I say and like it" doesn't work in this decade. People don't react well to that approach. They want to feel "bought in" to the decision. As a guy who has done a lot of project management spanning different groups of people, I can tell you that the only way people feel bought into any decision is if they are informed in advance and given time to internalize the potential new directions. When they do this, magical things happen: they buy in, and to a large degree take ownership of the new direction.

There's a lot that went wrong along the way, but I believe that if the Shanahan firing had been handled in a way that allowed the fanbase to have the "should he stay or should he go" discussion, then the fans at large would have been a lot more understanding of Josh's plight. Not entirely though. I'm not saying that this was 100% the issue. There was so much incompetence over the last two years that it would have still made the fans weary. But I believe more would have been forgiving if they felt more "bought in" with the program instead of sitting with folded arms saying "yeah, sure, show me."

ColoradoDarin
12-07-2010, 07:11 AM
The tact "I'm the boss and you will listen to what I say and like it" doesn't work in this decade. People don't react well to that approach. They want to feel "bought in" to the decision. As a guy who has done a lot of project management spanning different groups of people, I can tell you that the only way people feel bought into any decision is if they are informed in advance and given time to internalize the potential new directions. When they do this, magical things happen: they buy in, and to a large degree take ownership of the new direction.

There's a lot that went wrong along the way, but I believe that if the Shanahan firing had been handled in a way that allowed the fanbase to have the "should he stay or should he go" discussion, then the fans at large would have been a lot more understanding of Josh's plight. Not entirely though. I'm not saying that this was 100% the issue. There was so much incompetence over the last two years that it would have still made the fans weary. But I believe more would have been forgiving if they felt more "bought in" with the program instead of sitting with folded arms saying "yeah, sure, show me."

So you're saying that we should have had some notice that Josh was on the hot seat too (you know so they had a chance to buy in to this decision too)?

I'm starting to think that there is something up with Bowlen though.

Dr. Broncenstein
12-07-2010, 07:13 AM
So you're saying that we should have had some notice that Josh was on the hot seat too (you know so they had a chance to buy in to this decision too)?

I'm starting to think that there is something up with Bowlen though.

Just now? Giving total control to a first time head coach wasn't a clue? What about that HOF induction speech?

jhns
12-07-2010, 07:18 AM
I don't know that he will get it right but I believe he will always do what is best for the team. You just can't know if the front office you bring in will be great. A lot of front office guys are great one place and horrible in another. You just can't predict it or there would be franchises that were never bad.

I really want to see a GM given control though.

ColoradoDarin
12-07-2010, 07:47 AM
Just now? Giving total control to a first time head coach wasn't a clue? What about that HOF induction speech?

Just using a mirror for Taco to see :)

TonyR
12-07-2010, 08:42 AM
A few hours after firing McDaniels, Bowlen and his wife were spotted dining with legendary Broncos quarterback John Elway and his wife at Elway's Cherry Creek steakhouse.

Read more: McDaniels fired as Broncos coach after controversy, losses pile up - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16791509#ixzz17RPH11qS
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

ZONA
12-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Bowlen is losing this team and fans very fast. There's no more mile high magic, homefield adv, the team has sucked for years and years. Ultimately, it starts and ends with the owner, as he said in his own words. He's done a crappy job of owning lately. I think he's more impatient as he's getting older. He gave Shanny too long to turn things around and he cut Josh off a year to early, IMO.

Bowlen has 1 more shot to fix it. If his new coach doesn't turn this team into a winner, he's going to lose the faith of alot more fans then he has right now.

DBroncos4life
12-07-2010, 12:11 PM
I really wish Pat would try and build a FO like the Steelers or the Ravens. They are the model on how to build a team, not the Pats.

EmpireOrange
12-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Ha!

Good one.

BTW.

Who the **** are you?

Funny dippidy do, but alow me to introduce myself. I'm a lurker, been here for a while. Feel OM is the best one-stop-shop for Broncos news out there. I post when I get pissed. You're poll pissed me off.

strafen
12-07-2010, 07:05 PM

They live day by day.
If they took the time to go back and revisit the trajectory from the time Mcdaniels was hired leading to his well-deserved firing, they would be hard pressed to say no.
They sure have short memory, don't they?

db56
12-07-2010, 07:06 PM
dont have a clue.

Guy fired a future HOF coach with total control and replaced him with a first time HC and gave him total control and then fired him for not producing during a total rebuilding year??

cant even guess...

orange 4 life
12-07-2010, 09:44 PM
He made a mistake.

And he's paying for it. I believe he is still the best owner in football.
He's paying Shanahan AND McHoodie plus taking on the salary of a new coach.
Also after this debacle he's likely to bring in a big name coach and that's likely to be costly.

The bottom line is he's putting the team ahead of his finances.
Yes I understand losing affects his finances but not as much as you might think and CERTAINLY not a short period of losing.
He's doing what needs to be done in order to get this franchise back to where it should be and I respect that.

P.S.- Please bring back the orange jerseys while you're at it Pat. LOL

Sassy
12-07-2010, 10:07 PM
He made a mistake.

Also after this debacle he's likely to bring in a big name coach and that's likely to be costly.

Yes I understand losing affects his finances but not as much as you might think and CERTAINLY not a short period of losing.
He's doing what needs to be done in order to get this franchise back to where it should be and I respect that.

At least someone is still making sense around here! :yayaya:

Bronco Yoda
12-07-2010, 10:10 PM
He made a mistake.

I like the guy. He's our drunky Pimp master. But if he were really THE BEST owner out there he wouldn't be making these mistakes. And he wouldn't have taken our ****ING beloved orange jerseys from us.

Think on that one the next time we're all pleeding for our Orange Crush back to no avail.

Listen to your fan base Mr. Bowlen. Give a shiat. You may not like the Orange... but WE do!