PDA

View Full Version : Spy Gate Part II: Is there more to the firing of Josh McDaniels than meets the eye?

Sassy
12-06-2010, 06:14 PM
:devil:
Just seems like more is going to come out on this ...

Popps
12-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Not sure, but I believe it was the last straw. I said Bowlen wouldn't go for this kind of PR, and I believe that may have been the deciding factor on whether to wait it out or not.

DBroncos4life
12-06-2010, 06:18 PM
If you can't even win when you cheat......

Sassy
Not sure, but I believe it was the last straw. I said Bowlen wouldn't go for this kind of PR, and I believe that may have been the deciding factor on whether to wait it out or not.

It sure didn't fit Bowlen's image of his team that's for sure.

Beantown Bronco
:devil:
Just seems like more is going to come out on this ...

Something more may come out about the reasons for the firing, but I can pretty much guarantee that not a peep will be uttered from the team about the "Spygate II" incident.....at least in terms of anything more than we already knew. If any new details came out that were damning to McD or anyone else in the organization, the NFL would HAVE to re-open the case and start taking away draft picks. No way Bowlen opens that can of worms.

Popps
12-06-2010, 06:20 PM
It sure didn't fit Bowlen's image of his team that's for sure.

I think it was just too much. I half-expected this announcement after the Rams game, if not sooner. I think he would have stuck it out at least until end of season, otherwise. This is a pure PR move at this point, knowing we can't savlage much from a competitive stand-point this season with our record and injuries.

Soul-Bronco
12-06-2010, 06:20 PM
I read on the other forum that the broncos may use the cheating clause to not pay mcdainels the remainder of his contract so maybe

broncocalijohn
12-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Listening to KOA 850 tonight, they think so. My question is why fire him with 4 games to go and already a Shanny contract to still pay? Something is fishy with it. Sure, he wasnt coaching very well to stick around but what is an intern coach that is our running back coach going to do for us going into next season? I am sure we will here more from it and hope if there is something to it, we dont have to pay Josh his remaining contract.

orinjkrush
coach's show on NFL network alluded to this, both coaches thought there was (Billick and Mora?).

Broncoman13
Something more may come out about the reasons for the firing, but I can pretty much guarantee that not a peep will be uttered from the team about the "Spygate II" incident.....at least in terms of anything more than we already knew. If any new details came out that were damning to McD or anyone else in the organization, the NFL would HAVE to re-open the case and start taking away draft picks. No way Bowlen opens that can of worms.

If it allows him to fire him with cause, he may do just that. I have no idea what PB's mindset is, but he may be willing to save money on draft picks and McD. But I think it will be kept pretty quiet either way.

Jesterhole
12-06-2010, 06:22 PM

Very good point. I also think this was just an excuse to rid themselves of an obvious mistake while saving some face, and also as a chance to fire him with cause and avoid paying him.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Beantown Bronco
12-06-2010, 06:22 PM
I read on the other forum that the broncos may use the cheating clause to not pay mcdainels the remainder of his contract so maybe

Zero chance they win that case. If anything, they try to threaten it to see if he'd take a cheaper buyout, but that's it.

Soul-Bronco
12-06-2010, 06:23 PM
why zero chance? just curious ?

Beantown Bronco
12-06-2010, 06:25 PM
Bowlen can't use the Spygate thing to try to fire him "for cause" and save money people. Why? He let him coach two more games AFTER they became aware of it and AFTER the league closed their investigation and deemed him innocent of all charges essentially.

Sassy
12-06-2010, 06:25 PM
http://www.drewlitton.com/football/2010/12/06/josh-mcdaniels-christmas-story/

http://www.drewlitton.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/07b.gif

gtown
12-06-2010, 06:29 PM
This is a double edged sword. Going after McD's money regarding Spygate II is nearly akin to saying there was more to the story than was reported to the NFL. Getting McDs money might reopen an investigation, which could take a few picks off our hands.

Beantown Bronco
12-06-2010, 06:33 PM
This is a double edged sword. Going after McD's money regarding Spygate II is nearly akin to saying there was more to the story than was reported to the NFL. Getting McDs money might reopen an investigation, which could take a few picks off our hands.

Exactly what I'm saying.

Option 1. If they try to take his money by saying it was for his role in Spygate II, but argue that his role is just as the investigation found (nothing), then they'd lose because (a) the league found him not guilty of looking at the film or having anything to do with it at all and (b) they let him coach the team for 6 full weeks after the incident.

Option 2. They argue that his role was bigger than the investigation found. Bowlen may save that money on his salary, but the league will fine the team even more and will take away draft picks.

No way does he go with option 2. And option 1 is a loser.

Steve Sewell
12-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Why does everyone think that Bowlen is broke? Its comical, a couple of million bucks here and there is nothing to him.

Sassy
12-06-2010, 06:48 PM
From info I have found on the net...he has a net worth of about a billion dollars...and yes, that's with a "B".

Although one site said 50 million.

Sassy
12-06-2010, 08:58 PM
More news coming....???

theAPAOps5
12-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Nope its the fans and the thought of a half empty stadium when they return home. Reports on the radio this morning said all the empty seats last game cost the team approximately $500,000

Sassy
12-06-2010, 09:04 PM
NFLN is hinting around at something more.

Bigdawg26
12-06-2010, 09:06 PM
Of course so!! Do you think the broncos and NFL will let everything out to the media. You can't tell me with a straight face that the same guy in the first spygate got caught twice (which is the stupidest thing ever and to hire him again) and McDaniels didn't know anything. C'mon man! How stupid do you think ppl are!

theAPAOps5
12-06-2010, 09:06 PM
NFLN is hinting around at something more.

Everyone is speculating. But I bet nothing more comes out. I could be wrong of course.

Dedhed
12-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Bowlen can't use the Spygate thing to try to fire him "for cause" and save money people. Why? He let him coach two more games AFTER they became aware of it and AFTER the league closed their investigation and deemed him innocent of all charges essentially.

That's assuming that nothing further was discovered by Bowlen. No one here knows the full depth of the rationale behind the firing. And you certainly can't say there's "zero chance".

strafen
12-06-2010, 09:20 PM
I think it was just too much. I half-expected this announcement after the Rams game, if not sooner. I think he would have stuck it out at least until end of season, otherwise. This is a pure PR move at this point, knowing we can't savlage much from a competitive stand-point this season with our record and injuries.I told you folks.
Of all people, Popps is now claiming he saw the early firing of McDaniels coming.
What a joke! ROFL!

Tombstone RJ
12-06-2010, 09:26 PM
I told you folks.
Of all people, Popps is now claiming he saw the early firing of McDaniels coming.
What a joke! ROFL!

shuddup dragster. Dragging down another thread as usual.

snowspot66
12-06-2010, 09:26 PM
I told you folks.
What a joke! ROFL!

Give me a break. Anybody could see this coming after the Rams game.

Garcia Bronco
12-06-2010, 10:03 PM
The ticket cancellations and local revenue he is losing is more than 4 million. That's it.

Taco John
12-06-2010, 10:09 PM
I personally believe it's connected with more news coming out on this so-called "Spygate II." I think Pat was sincere that he wanted to keep Josh around for another season, but is being forced to make this move to protect the franchise from an upcoming revelation. I hope I'm wrong on this. But I wouldn't expect Pat to abandon the season without some sort of impetus. This is unprecedented.

baja
12-06-2010, 10:34 PM
I personally believe it's connected with more news coming out on this so-called "Spygate II." I think Pat was sincere that he wanted to keep Josh around for another season, but is being forced to make this move to protect the franchise from an upcoming revelation. I hope I'm wrong on this. But I wouldn't expect Pat to abandon the season without some sort of impetus. This is unprecedented.

This I could understand. I would hate it because someone I trusted would prove to be a phony but at least I could understand Bowlen's decision.

Wonder if we will ever know the truth.

baja
12-06-2010, 10:36 PM

LOL I think I feel like you did when you started the "Gutless drunk thread".

Taco John
12-06-2010, 10:38 PM
LOL I think I feel like you did when you started the "Gutless drunk thread".

Probably very similar, minus the decade of fan worship...

BigPlayShay
12-06-2010, 10:40 PM

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/12/06/no-for-cause-mentioned-to-mcdaniels/6029/

No “for cause” firing mentioned to Josh McDaniels

McDaniels was told he would receive the contractural buyout particulars through his agent Bob LaMonte tomorrow.

baja
12-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Probably very similar, minus the decade of fan worship...

Doesn't the "josh is going to be my coach in 2011, no, I'll evaluate him going forward, no I think I will fire him now" bother you?

extralife
12-06-2010, 10:44 PM
same thing that happened with Shanahan, Bates, and the Goodmans. Par for the course for Bowlen these days, who clearly no long knows which end is up.

Lev Vyvanse
12-06-2010, 10:45 PM
From info I have found on the net...he has a net worth of about a billion dollars...and yes, that's with a "B".

The team is worth more then a billion dollars, so I hope his net worth is more than that.

Clockwork Orange
12-06-2010, 10:46 PM
Doesn't the "josh is going to be my coach in 2011, no, I'll evaluate him going forward, no I think I will fire him now" bother you?

No more than Mike Shanahan is my "coach for life, no, check that, I'm firing him" did.

orangemonkey
12-06-2010, 10:46 PM

Not a bit. Honestly, I can't fathom your position. We're the mother****in Denver Broncos. Bowlen knows we can have Gruden, Dungy, Cowher - any friggen coach he wants jump to run this show right now. Again, we're the Denver Broncos, not the Lions even though we play like them. Why keep a 33 year old loser on board who has brought disgrace to the franchise?

footstepsfrom#27
12-06-2010, 10:47 PM

"Net worth" includes assets, in this case the team itself, which doesn't help much. The question to ask is, what's he worth in liquid assets, and $50 million I believe was reported by Forbes last year, if memory serves. He's also still paying off huge interest payments on the original loans he got when he purchased the team. "Broke" to you and I means something entirely different than it does to him of course, but his financial condition has been the subject of specualation for a while now, especially in the light of how the team's ownership structure is spread over a bunch of holding companies designed to do nothing more than conceal assets and confuse anyone looking to establish financial connections. I don't think he's broke, but I suspect he's not doing that well right now.

peacepipe
12-06-2010, 10:47 PM
I bet Bowlen told McD that he was going to have relinqish(sp) some control over operations and McD said no. McD would've got fired immediately if that was the case.

strafen
12-06-2010, 10:52 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/12/06/no-for-cause-mentioned-to-mcdaniels/6029/

No “for cause” firing mentioned to Josh McDaniels

McDaniels was told he would receive the contractural buyout particulars through his agent Bob LaMonte tomorrow.He should've been fired for cause right after the Spygate incident came up.
His stupidity in handling the situation and how he tried to cover for his buddy, was a black eye for our organization.

baja
12-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Not a bit. Honestly, I can't fathom your position. We're the mother****in Denver Broncos. <b> Bowlen knows we can have Gruden, Dungy, Cowher - any friggen coach he wants jump to run this show right now. Again, we're the Denver Broncos, not the Lions even though we play like them. </b> Why keep a 33 year old loser on board who has brought disgrace to the franchise?

Yesterday I would have agreed with you. I no longer believe that. Those big name coaches you name will take a long hard look at the way this firing was handled. They will look at other issues too. "Hey Champ here's our offer we want you man, Oh wait, about that offer Champ, we were just kidding...."

baja
12-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Al Davis was great before he got too old too. He's in the HOF and now he's an embarrassment to his franchise. This is what I think Pat Bowlen is morfing into. Time will tell.

strafen
12-06-2010, 11:02 PM
Al Davis was great before he got too old too. He's in the HOF and now he's an embarrassment to his franchise. This is what I think Pat Bowlen is morfing into. Time will tell.

Hater! :strong:

SlipperyPete
12-06-2010, 11:03 PM
Bowlen knows we can have Gruden, Dungy, Cowher - any friggen coach he wants jump to run this show right now.

The delusions never cease to amaze.

Adam Schefter even had to admit on ESPN earlier today that this is not an attractive job right now.

strafen
12-06-2010, 11:05 PM
The delusions never cease to amaze.

Adam Schefter even had to admit on ESPN earlier today that this is not an attractive job right now.

The mess Mcdaniels left, created this situation.
The guy is gone, let the cleaning begin...