PDA

View Full Version : ESPN reaction to firing

Jesterhole
12-06-2010, 07:04 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/tag/_/name/josh-mcdaniels-fired

Reaction from some ESPN guys on the firing. Lots more at the link...

--
Can you blame the Denver Broncos for firing Josh McDaniels?

Perhaps no NFL coach in recent memory has torn down a team as quickly as McDaniels, who was hired as a 32-year-old hot shot in January, 2009 and fired less than 23 months later. He will forever be known as a someone who clearly got too much too soon and was unwilling to do it any way but his own.

When McDaniels took over, the Broncos were on the doorstep of the playoffs and were a team that just needed some tinkering and refreshing after the 14-year Mike Shanahan era grew stale. McDaniels leaves Denver after 28 games with the franchise in terrible shape and without a true identity.

A week after Denver owner Pat Bowlen waffled on the coaching decision, Bowlen emphatically changed his mind 24 hours after his team was officially eliminated from playoff contention with a 3-9 record and a quarter of the season remaining. His decision answered the pleas from legions of Denver fans who have been calling for McDaniels’ head since Oct. 17 -- when the Broncos lost by 45 points at home to Oakland.

Denver fired McDaniels before even deciding who would be his interim coach. This is not a similar situation to the recent head-coaching changes in Minnesota and Dallas. There is no legitimate spark to be made, no season to salvage. The Broncos are in the look-ahead mode and they are doing so without McDaniels.

snowspot66
12-06-2010, 07:10 PM

--

Perhaps no NFL coach in recent memory has torn down a team as quickly as McDaniels, who was hired as a 32-year-old hot shot in January, 2009 and fired less than 23 months later. He will forever be known as a someone who clearly got too much too soon and was unwilling to do it any way but his own.

When McDaniels took over, the Broncos were on the doorstep of the playoffs and were a team that just needed some tinkering and refreshing after the 14-year Mike Shanahan era grew stale. McDaniels leaves Denver after 28 games with the franchise in terrible shape and without a true identity.

A week after Denver owner Pat Bowlen waffled on the coaching decision, Bowlen emphatically changed his mind 24 hours after his team was officially eliminated from playoff contention with a 3-9 record and a quarter of the season remaining. His decision answered the pleas from legions of Denver fans who have been calling for McDaniels’ head since Oct. 17 -- when the Broncos lost by 45 points at home to Oakland.

Denver fired McDaniels before even deciding who would be his interim coach. This is not a similar situation to the recent head-coaching changes in Minnesota and Dallas. There is no legitimate spark to be made, no season to salvage. The Broncos are in the look-ahead mode and they are doing so without McDaniels.

Well that's horse****. We've been a bad team for years. Where do they get that garbage?

Jesterhole
12-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Well, we needed to win one game to make the playoffs, with three to go. Technically, that's the doorstep.

We needed to go defense and stick with our offense, but McFired wanted Matt Cassel, and the rest is history.

snowspot66
12-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Well if "tinkering" means cutting our turnovers in half and replacing 8 starters on defense then yeah I guess it's right. But we all know we were damned lucky to even be in a position to **** up that bad in 2008. We haven't had a good team since 2005.

Dr. Broncenstein
12-06-2010, 07:16 PM
The hills are alive, with the sound of butthurt.

ColoradoDarin
12-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Well that's horse****. We've been a bad team for years. Where do they get that garbage?

It's E!spn, so of course they know nothing of football. A new HC will install his system and look for his players. Shanahan did it, McDaniels did it, and the next head coach will do it.

Popps
12-06-2010, 07:17 PM

Yes, yours is still resonating from the past 12 months or so...

scorpio
12-06-2010, 07:18 PM

lol. You've been one of the whiniest bitches on this board for months. Congratulations on this important personal victory.

Don Flamenco
Haha

Somewhere out there, Popps is looking up on his ceiling jerking off while crying out "Josh!"

Dr. Broncenstein
Yes, yours is still resonating from the past 12 months or so...

Hey man, did you hear the news?

I'm in remission now.

Dr. Broncenstein
12-06-2010, 07:19 PM
lol. You've been one of the whiniest b****es on this board for months. Congratulations on this important personal victory.

Thanks brah

snowspot66
12-06-2010, 07:19 PM

If you're talking about me I'd like you to point out where I was defending McDaniels in my post and I would like you to point out where I was incorrect in my assessment of our ****ty team.

WolfpackGuy
12-06-2010, 07:21 PM
"went from the one of the most attractive organizations in the NFL to one in total disarray..."

There ya have it, folks.

Thanks, Josh.

DBroncos4life
12-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Well if "tinkering" means cutting our turnovers in half and replacing 8 starters on defense then yeah I guess it's right. But we all know we were damned lucky to even be in a position to **** up that bad in 2008. We haven't had a good team since 2005.

We haven't had a team this bad since 1970...

snowspot66
12-06-2010, 07:22 PM
We haven't had a team this bad since 1970...

I'd argue 2008 was worse. You look at who we had on that roster and it must have taken an act of God to get us 8 wins. Doesn't matter though. They're both ****.

DBroncos4life
12-06-2010, 07:24 PM
I'd argue 2008 was worse. Doesn't matter though. They're both ****.
We had 8 wins that year so how is it worse?

Jesterhole
12-06-2010, 07:24 PM
We have a bottom 5 team right now. That is what McDaniels left us.

That is not what he inherited.

Case closed.

snowspot66
12-06-2010, 07:26 PM
We had 8 wins that year so how is it worse?

We fired 30+ players and they never worked again. Shanahan and one of the best coaching staffs in the league got that team to 8 wins, 7 without one of the worst calls in the past decade.

You guys hate McDaniels more than anybody. What do you think we would have won with him at the helm? Probably even less.

WolfpackGuy
12-06-2010, 07:27 PM
3 wins is definitely better.

snowspot66
12-06-2010, 07:28 PM
3 wins is definitely better.

Look at the coaching. Place McDaniels and this coaching staff on the 2008 team. Still think that team gets 8?

DBroncos4life
12-06-2010, 07:28 PM
We fired 30+ players and they never worked again. Shanahan and one of the best coaching staffs in the league got that team to 8 wins, 7 without one of the worst calls in the past decade.

We scored more points and allowed less points, again this years team is worse. We would have won 8 games that year period without that BS call against the Phins.

DBroncos4life
12-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Look at the coaching. Place McDaniels and this coaching staff on the 2008 team. Still think that team gets 8?

No and this years team would have more then 3 wins with Shanahan.

WolfpackGuy
12-06-2010, 07:29 PM

So you're against him all of a sudden?

I'm not sure where this is going...

McDman
12-06-2010, 07:30 PM
We went .500 for three years bf McD got here and 8-8 when he got here, not seeing how he really killed the team. He just didn't make it any better.

snowspot66
12-06-2010, 07:31 PM
So you're against him all of a sudden?

I'm pointing out that Shanahan is one of the best game day coaches ever and he had a long tenured highly talented staff. Of course the coaching was better regardless of what I think about McDaniels.

I'm saying we were **** in 2008 and are still ****. The level of **** is probably just a little less now. That's all.

Boogerboots
12-06-2010, 07:32 PM
I'd be interested to hear what Tom Jackson and the Stink would have to say on all this. Not really hung up about some blog on the Espin site.

broncocalijohn
12-06-2010, 07:32 PM
I'd argue 2008 was worse. You look at who we had on that roster and it must have taken an act of God to get us 8 wins. Doesn't matter though. They're both ****.

so 2008 was worse? worse players and we got to 8 wins. We currently have 3 wins with a mcheasier schedule.

Jesterhole
12-06-2010, 07:33 PM
We went .500 for three years bf McD got here and 8-8 when he got here, not seeing how he really killed the team. He just didn't make it any better.

We were a team on the verge and now we're in the same class as the Lions and Bills. There a good players all over this leage on other teams that will haunt us for years.

That's how.

WolfpackGuy
12-06-2010, 07:33 PM
McClueless' biggest problem was he thought it was better to rebuild a whole team rather than rebuild half a team.

You can bet no other rookie coach from now on is going to make or be allowed to make that same mistake.

Dedhed
12-06-2010, 07:35 PM
"ESPN reaction to firing"

I stopped reading after this.

snowspot66
12-06-2010, 07:35 PM
so 2008 was worse? worse players and we got to 8 wins. We currently have 3 wins with a mcheasier schedule.

Actually 2008 was a cake walk schedule. One of the easiest in the league. Easier than this years even.

Requiem
12-06-2010, 07:38 PM
We were not a team on the verge of anything with what Shanahan had to offer. Average offenses, poor defenses, how many years of 9-7 and 8-8 ball in a row? Couldn't get it done when it mattered. We weren't doing jack the past two years either. Hopefully we can down the road, but I doubt immediately.

NeverBeenToDenver
12-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Actually 2008 was a cake walk schedule. One of the easiest in the league. Easier than this years even.

Yeah, didn't we lose to Appalachian State and Southern Miss back to back weeks (16 and 17) to miss the playoffs? I must be tripping, but I seem to recall the worst divisional collapse in NFL history. Moving on was correct, handing the reins to a manchild with some sort of case study complex wasn't.

EDIT: it was weeks 15 and 16, pardon me. I've removed week 17 from my memory.

WolfpackGuy
12-06-2010, 07:48 PM

:spit:

10 games against the league's worst two divisions is pretty tough sledding.

McDman
12-06-2010, 07:49 PM
We were a team on the verge and now we're in the same class as the Lions and Bills. There a good players all over this leage on other teams that will haunt us for years.

That's how.

C'mon man, we were not a team on the verge. Our defense was just as miserable as it is now. We were going nowhere until Shanny quit switching DC every year. I mean we had freaking Slowik!!!!

Our offense had a lot of yards but avg like 19 ppg, we seriously were not that good, people are just looking at it in a skewed perception bc of their hate for McD.

I'm not even trying to defend McD here, I was a supporter of his but towards the end I was thinking he had to go.

snowspot66
12-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Yeah, didn't we lose to Appalachian State and Southern Miss back to back weeks (16 and 17) to miss the playoffs? I must be tripping, but I seem to recall the worst divisional collapse in NFL history. Moving on was correct, handing the reins to a manchild with some sort of case study complex wasn't.

EDIT: it was weeks 15 and 16, pardon me. I've removed week 17 from my memory.

Damn near. We lost to the Bills at home in a win and we're in game. The strongest team on our schedule was the Panthers. While they were pretty good that year it's not even close. The Ravens, Jets, and Colts combined with the Chiefs and Raiders improving from total dog **** to average has made this schedule a lot tougher. Unfortunately the team hasn't really improved much. Though I suppose if we fired thirty guys today the majority would find work again somewhere but that's not saying much.

snowspot66
12-06-2010, 07:54 PM
:spit:

10 games against the league's worst two divisions is pretty tough sledding.

Look at the 2008 schedule and tell me it wasn't a cake walk. The Chiefs and Raiders were especially ****ty and we managed to lose two to them at home. They alone give us 4 significantly harder games this year. I'm sorry but 2008 was not even an average team. They just masqueraded as one.

Soul-Bronco
12-06-2010, 07:54 PM
I'd be interested to hear what Tom Jackson and the Stink would have to say on all this. Not really hung up about some blog on the Espin site.

Jackson said on monday night countdown that bowlen is one of the greatest owners in the NFL and he saw the franchise going in the wrong direction so he pulled the plug which TJ agreed with 100%

WolfpackGuy
12-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Look at the 2008 schedule and tell me it wasn't a cake walk. The Chiefs and Raiders were especially ****ty. They alone give us 4 significantly harder games this year. I'm sorry but 2008 was not even an average team. They just masqueraded as one.

I'll grant you similar strengths of schedule.

The 2008 team was what it was.

Inconsistent and young on offense, crappy on defense.

This 2010 team is just lost all around.

spdirty
12-06-2010, 08:01 PM
Well, we needed to win one game to make the playoffs, with three to go. Technically, that's the doorstep.

We needed to go defense and stick with our offense, but McFired wanted Matt Cassel, and the rest is history.

Hilarious!

snowspot66
12-06-2010, 08:03 PM
I'll grant you similar strengths of schedule.

The 2008 team was what it was.

Inconsistent and young on offense, crappy on defense.

This 2010 team is just lost all around.

Well **** is ****. We could argue which one stinks more for hours. It won't make it smell better. I just took issue with ESPN thinking we were just a little tinkering away from being a playoff team. I think we're back to where we were January 1st 2009 but with different name plates on the lockers.

orangemonkey
12-06-2010, 08:04 PM

Did you watch the the ESPN pre-game this past Sunday? Tommy absolutely destroyed McD. You can tell he hates the dude like most Broncos fans. I'm sure he will be very happy about the decision. And Stink has been trashing McD for months.

WolfpackGuy
12-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Well **** is ****. We could argue which one stinks more for hours. It won't make it smell better. I just took issue with ESPN thinking we were just a little tinkering away from being a playoff team. I think we're back to where we were January 1st 2009 but with different name plates on the lockers.

The offense just needed a healthy running back and more seasoning.

The defense...still needs work...

But yeah, we could argue for hours.

LOL

Bigdawg26
12-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Yeah Tom Jackson and Stink always would bash Josh McDaniels. I can remember Stink always calling McDaniels a wanna be, and Tom Jackson would also call out McDaniels after every game. I mean lets be real this guy was horrible!! He couldn't work with anybody. He drove away great coaches for a bunch of yes man. And replaced talent for experience (which would wear down towards the end of the season).

Royalfan19
12-06-2010, 08:25 PM

We nearly had a double digit IR count, lost all of our running backs, when the team finally fell apart at the end of the season when Hillis went down.

We were ranked in the top 3 in offense in every measurable category before the second half of that year, and a great a majority of our turnovers came in the final games in the season when we would throw the ball in desperation to come back.

Our porous defense that everyone makes fun of, held the red hot jets and Atlanta to low enough scores that we stopped both their winning streaks, and might I add, we had as many injuries on defense that year as we do this year.

Finally, despite all that, the team was .500, had the best set of tackles in Football, a QB that looked as promising as anyone, and a set of wide receivers no team could match.

The defense was porous, but we had dumerville, and it wasn't as if we weren't going to acquire dawkins simply because we got rid of Shanahan.

People who think that the 2008 team was terrible enough to warrant the firing are being stubborn. It was clear that it was a frustration firing because of the three years that we spent out of the playoffs.

Who knows whether or not it was directly McDaniels decisions that caused Denver to fall out of the conversation of respected football clubs so fast. It could've been a number of factors. BUt just as Shanahan was held responsible for teams that failed to perform (perhaps due to bad luck, 4 dropped INTs vs. Steelers in AFCC game), or **** performacne (jacksonville anyone?), or injuries (2008)..., there's always a lot of excuses.

Well, there's no excuses left now, McD's been forced to take responsiblity for the state of the franchise. Whatever the reason, Denver's in a heck of a hole.

snowspot66
12-06-2010, 08:32 PM
We nearly had a double digit IR count, lost all of our running backs, when the team finally fell apart at the end of the season when Hillis went down.

We were ranked in the top 3 in offense in every measurable category before the second half of that year, and a great a majority of our turnovers came in the final games in the season when we would throw the ball in desperation to come back.

Our porous defense that everyone makes fun of, held the red hot jets and Atlanta to low enough scores that we stopped both their winning streaks, and might I add, we had as many injuries on defense that year as we do this year.

Finally, despite all that, the team was .500, had the best set of tackles in Football, a QB that looked as promising as anyone, and a set of wide receivers no team could match.

The defense was porous, but we had dumerville, and it wasn't as if we weren't going to acquire dawkins simply because we got rid of Shanahan.

People who think that the 2008 team was terrible enough to warrant the firing are being stubborn. It was clear that it was a frustration firing because of the three years that we spent out of the playoffs.

Sorry but you're white washing things. That 2008 team was terrible. That awesome offense put up damn near 1/3 of it's point total in the first three games against three of the worst defenses in the league and didn't do **** after that other than turn it over in the red zone.

That defense was bad from day one even before injuries.

Face it. We were a bad team then and we're still a bad team now.

Beantown Bronco
12-06-2010, 08:35 PM
He drove away great coaches for a bunch of yes man. And replaced talent for experience (which would wear down towards the end of the season).

Yup, cause the Broncos had a long history of NOT wearing down at the end of seasons before McD arrived.....

Archer81
12-06-2010, 08:36 PM
ESPN: RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

Sports fans outside of area being reported on: RABBLE RABBLE?

Fans in area being reported on: **** ESPN sucks dick.

:Broncos:

Merlin
12-06-2010, 08:58 PM
We went .500 for three years bf McD got here and 8-8 when he got here, not seeing how he really killed the team.
He was 5-17 in his last 22 games and you can't see how he killed it???

As to the offense, despite snowpeas fantasy, the stats are there, the people who never played again after being let go were on D side of the ball. The offense was a powerful, young offense that needed to be finetuned (2nd ranked in the NFL), taught how to play in the RZ (ranked 12th in the NFL in points scored when only considering the offense and 10th when considering field position), and protect the ball (hell, even crazy Martz [whose offenses have always been at the top or near the top in Int and sacks) has managed to lower Cutler's Int, he has only 10 this season and 4 came in one game, despite an incredibly bad OL and poor running game).

The D needed to be overhauled, yet, the player people still salivate about is a Shanny player (Doom), and the majority of the good players in D are still from that pathetic D. If that is not an indictment of McD and his personnel decisions (especially considering all the draft choices he had), then you just are to in love to think straight.

TheReverend
12-06-2010, 09:21 PM

Drugs are bad...

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Thank Allah ESPN is here to tell me how to think.

Royalfan19
12-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Sorry but you're white washing things. That 2008 team was terrible. That awesome offense put up damn near 1/3 of it's point total in the first three games against three of the worst defenses in the league and didn't do **** after that other than turn it over in the red zone.

That defense was bad from day one even before injuries.

Face it. We were a bad team then and we're still a bad team now.

the numbers are there, i encourage you to look it up.

We scored over 35 points 5 out of the first 10 games. We scored 35 points against a SD defense that damn near shut down the colts in the playoffs. We blew out the jets and beat Atlanta pretty handily.

And that terrible defense before the injuries lost 2 starting linebackers in the first 3 weeks, lost nearly all its defensive captains by the middle of the season.

Lets put it this way, when you have double digit players on IR and sit at .500, you are not a "bad team" in the NFL. Not to mention we were young has heck across the board.

bronco militia
12-07-2010, 01:11 PM
thank allah espn is here to tell me how to think.

lol rofl!

Pick Six
12-07-2010, 01:30 PM

McDaniels leaves Denver after 28 games with the franchise in terrible shape and without a true identity.

That's BS. The only way that the franchise is in "terrible shape" is, possibly, monetarily. Bowlen is going to have to pay for 3 coaches, and that was his decision. The Orton/Lloyd tandem has worked well (except for Sunday), and the running game was getting better. Remember, McDaniels essentially remade the offensive line, and wanted a Patriots-style power blocking scheme. The team was just less than successful. It was a rebuilding process. We are going to have to go through it, all over again...

colonelbeef
12-07-2010, 01:47 PM

--

Game, set match.

Love the arguments to the contrary coming from the McPeanut gallery tho. It's cute.

colonelbeef
12-07-2010, 01:51 PM
"went from the one of the most attractive organizations in the NFL to one in total disarray..."

There ya have it, folks.

Thanks, Josh.

lol, yep.

Please, keep the misinformation, skewed stats, and totally oblivious phrases coming McHomers, it's amusing

colonelbeef
12-07-2010, 01:53 PM

Schlereth thinks McDaniels ruined the team and ran off all of the offensive talent.

Next?

DrFate
12-07-2010, 01:55 PM
i'd argue 2008 was worse.

8 > 3

epicSocialism4tw
12-07-2010, 01:58 PM
We were mediocre before McD, and now we suck.

If you cant see the difference between 3-9 and 8-8, then you may need a pair of spectacles of some sort.

jhns
12-07-2010, 02:00 PM
the numbers are there, i encourage you to look it up.

We scored over 35 points 5 out of the first 10 games. We scored 35 points against a SD defense that damn near shut down the colts in the playoffs. We blew out the jets and beat Atlanta pretty handily.

And that terrible defense before the injuries lost 2 starting linebackers in the first 3 weeks, lost nearly all its defensive captains by the middle of the season.

Lets put it this way, when you have double digit players on IR and sit at .500, you are not a "bad team" in the NFL. Not to mention we were young has heck across the board.

Great post. Way to tell it like it is. The revisionist history will never end though. Some here have spent way too much time dogging Shanahan in an attempt to say McDaniels just had to deal with too much. They couldn't be rationale when talking about McDaniels and now it is easier to stay with this crap than it is to admit they were wrong the last two years.

The reality is that this was the most attractive job in the NFL after Shanahan got fired because of the way the team looked. This was said by every individual on this planet at the time. Now it was suddenly a horrible roster because of what I said in the first paragraph.

DeuceOfClub
12-07-2010, 02:01 PM
I actually watched ESPN yesterday after I heard about the firing and I'm still not sure if Favre will start next Sunday.

:espnsux: :espnsux: :espnsux: :espnsux: :espnsux:

Rock Chalk
12-07-2010, 02:08 PM

Same could be said for this year. 63 games missed by starting defensive players.

Not in scoring, 3rd down %. That offense, much similar to the one we currently have. Only, more turnovers.

The porous defense that everyone makes fun of now just held a top 5 scoring offense to 10 points on their home field and shut them out in he second half without their best defender in teh game.

The only thing that is factual about the above statement is that the team was .500.

Shanahan was fired because he had 3 years of missing the playoffs, the biggest collapse in NFL history and absolutely NO sign the defense or special teams were ever going to improve oh, and absolutely no coaching accountability at the highest level.

Who knows whether or not it was directly McDaniels decisions that caused Denver to fall out of the conversation of respected football clubs so fast. It could've been a number of factors. BUt just as Shanahan was held responsible for teams that failed to perform (perhaps due to bad luck, 4 dropped INTs vs. Steelers in AFCC game), or **** performacne (jacksonville anyone?), or injuries (2008)..., there's always a lot of excuses.

Yes, yes there are. The only difference is, Shanahan was given 12 years to prove he could build a winner without a legend at QB and failed to do so. McDaniels was given 28 games.

Well, there's no excuses left now, McD's been forced to take responsiblity for the state of the franchise. Whatever the reason, Denver's in a heck of a hole.
Yes they are and its only going to get worse. Bowlen will not hire a GM, Im willing to bet money on it.

tsr28
12-07-2010, 02:22 PM

Didn't he inherit that team for 2009?

Bronco Rob
12-07-2010, 02:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlQCW02Tbxc

:wave:

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-07-2010, 03:13 PM
I actually watched ESPN yesterday after I heard about the firing and I'm still not sure if Favre will start next Sunday.

:espnsux: :espnsux: :espnsux: :espnsux: :espnsux:

Post of the year.