PDA

View Full Version : What A ****ing Mess

SportinOne
12-06-2010, 06:52 PM
I'm sure the sentiments that i'm about to express have already been voiced hundreds of times over in other threads but at this point I don't care.

This is frustrating. This is so so very frustrating.

I can't even really blame McDaniels for most of this. I'm sure he did what he thought was best. He had a method. It wasn't working like he planned, it took me a long time to come around, but i was finally buying into him as our captain, and even though he was losing a lot i figured we could really straighten things out for next year.

Then Bowlen pulls the plug, again, prematurely.

Bowlen seems uncalculated and incompetent at this point and as i look back over what we have lost as a result of this little venture it makes me sick. I don't care what other guys have done elsewhere. They were producing here, it was working offensively aside from a few small kinks but it was going the right direction... here we go again. New coach, new favorites, new castoffs. Can't wait to see how the board splits this time.
And all this coming together crap is really disgusting. Until this board

TL;DR Just when i bought in, Bowlen sold out. And here i sit, wondering just how much stupider things can get.

Dr. Broncenstein
12-06-2010, 06:53 PM
You'll get over it.

Popps
12-06-2010, 06:54 PM
You'll get over it.

Now there's irony for you.

theAPAOps5
12-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Well hopefully they get it right with the next coach. With the sentiment going around Bronco Nation on McD it had to be done. It was really a perfect storm that was brewing and getting bigger in regards to McD.

I think McD was a good coach just wasn't his time and he made too many mistakes.

Garcia Bronco
12-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Don't season ticket renewals go out next week?

Dr. Broncenstein
12-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Now there's irony for you.

It's like ten thousand spoons

orinjkrush
12-06-2010, 06:57 PM
it was a mess BEFORE the firing.

now the dust settles

ColoradoDarin
12-06-2010, 06:58 PM
It's like ten thousand spoons

Cancer spoons?

Rohirrim
12-06-2010, 06:59 PM
And here i sit, wondering just how much stupider things can get.

Pull up a chair. You've come to the right place.

Dr. Broncenstein
12-06-2010, 07:00 PM
Cancer spoons?

When all you need is a knife. And chemo. And radiation. And a colostomy.

cmhargrove
12-06-2010, 07:01 PM
I think some of the other things that motivated Bowlen is the fact that Tampa Bay and St Louis also got HC's at the same time.

One of those teams just beat us, and the other is still in the playoff hunt.

Its a rough world (and league).

I will go on record as McD supporter, but guess what - its over. If losing to the Raiders (badly, historically, embarrasingly) at home didn't frustrate you, I don't understand why firing McDaniels does so much.

theAPAOps5
12-06-2010, 07:04 PM
I was a McD supporter until the Raiders game this year. Then things just kept piling on and I just came to the realization he wasn't ready for this. Sometimes you just have to admit you need a change and I think this was the case.

Josh will be a good head coach somewhere down the road its a shame for us he had to cut his teeth here.

TailgateNut
12-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Don't season ticket renewals go out next week?

Why would you and most of the others here give a ****.

Beantown Bronco
I will go on record as McD supporter, but guess what - its over. If losing to the Raiders (badly, historically, embarrasingly) at home didn't frustrate you, I don't understand why firing McDaniels does so much.

Because that was just one game. Firing McD after less than two years means that, unless we bring in a guy with a very similar offensive scheme, we're looking at another potential two to three rebuilding years and/or trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

Kaylore
Well, there's two ways to look it. One is we bailed in the middle of a program to rebuild and now we'll be in disarray for at least two more years.

The flip side is we just saw the worst of it (3 wins? REALLY?) and we can only go up. Reading some of the tweets and facebook messages suggests the players were at the very least expecting this.

ColoradoDarin
I think some of the other things that motivated Bowlen is the fact that Tampa Bay and St Louis also got HC's at the same time.

This, I thought another year for McDaniels would be good, but I'm not crying over this and it's less shocking than when Shanahan was (rightly) fired.

Rohirrim
12-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Because that was just one game. Firing McD after less than two years means that, unless we bring in a guy with a very similar offensive scheme, we're looking at another potential two to three rebuilding years and/or trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

Bingo. For those who don't get it, we're starting over. Again.

Dr. Broncenstein
12-06-2010, 07:18 PM

And not a minute too soon.

Eldorado
12-06-2010, 07:24 PM
What. A fvck!ng. Mess.

cmhargrove
12-06-2010, 08:39 PM

We did just highlight that some teams do really well by starting over, right? Tampa Bay started over, and they are still in the playoff hunt. So is St Louis. Your logic is flawed.

New regime doesn't magically mean you will lose, it just means you will be going a new direction. What evidence do you actually have that we were moving in a positive direction?

TonyR
12-06-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm not sure why anyone thinks this is progress if they hire this coach the same way they hired the last (on the cheap and without thinking it through), and then run things (with no real GM) like they have the last two. But here's to hoping!

Kaylore
12-06-2010, 08:45 PM
McD wasn't cheap. He was one of the highest paid rookie coaches and got one of the longest contracts for a rookie coach. I personally hope they see why new coaches get three year contracts. That four year thing was absolut dum.

TonyR
12-06-2010, 08:49 PM
McD wasn't cheap. He was one of the highest paid rookie coaches and got one of the longest contracts for a rookie coach.

Perhaps. But I'm betting he came a lot cheaper than a more experienced coach would have, no? So relatively cheap, if not "cheap".

Sassy
12-06-2010, 09:26 PM
The players learned of McDaniels' firing via Twitter, where the Broncos announced it, and text messages.

"Guys are trying to figure out if it's true, if it's not true, what's going on," wide receiver Brandon Lloyd said on his weekly radio show on Sports Radio 104.3 The Fan in Denver.

Running back Lance Ball tweeted: "this the closest thing to Obama being elected president!!!"

Others were melancholy.

"It's tough. He's not out there playing," wide receiver Eddie Royal said. "The guys in the locker room have got to feel somewhat responsible. We didn't play well enough to win these games. We haven't had a good year. We haven't played the way we should have. Our fans are upset, and I can understand that. We've got a lot better football team than we've shown this year."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/12/06/mcdaniels.broncos.ap/index.html#ixzz17OeWhkNK

_Oro_
12-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Too bad the Rams didn't fire Spagnulo after going 1-15.

no-pseudo-fan
12-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Look...I was behind Josh, I always want Denver to do well. Josh didn't get it done. We have to move forward. Period. We have offensive talent, we need to know if Tebow is the future or not. That has to happen over the next 4 weeks. We need to get someone in here that will get this thing right. We use the draft to fix the defense.

If Tebow is the answer...I think we are golden. If not...we need to find the answer.

Sassy
12-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Look...I was behind Josh, I always want Denver to do well. Josh didn't get it done. We have to move forward. Period. We have offensive talent, we need to know if Tebow is the future or not. That has to happen over the next 4 weeks. We need to get someone in here that will get this thing right. We use the draft to fix the defense.

If Tebow is the answer...I think we are golden. If not...we need to find the answer.

Tebow...no matter if he's good or not...isn't going to stop the opposing team from scoring 30-40 points.

Taco John
12-06-2010, 11:23 PM
I expect the rebuild project that we're looking at is about a 5 year affair at this point. There's a lot of work that needs to be done just to get the team to 8-8 at this point. It's going to take someone who can sell the program to the fans for a few years, IMO. Someone with a good media presence as well as X's and O's.

Sassy
12-06-2010, 11:25 PM
Spags was 1-15 last year wasn't he?

orangemonkey
12-06-2010, 11:26 PM
I expect the rebuild project that we're looking at is about a 5 year affair at this point. There's a lot of work that needs to be done just to get the team to 8-8 at this point. It's going to take someone who can sell the program to the fans for a few years, IMO. Someone with a good media presence as well as X's and O's.

And if NFL network is right about below, I will gladly wait 5 years to get back to the superbowl.

"Sources close to the Broncos told NFL Network's Michael Lombardi that the team is expected to approach former Broncos Super Bowl hero John Elway for a front-office position and that if Gary Kubiak were available, he would be the team's first choice to coach the team next season."

Taco John
12-06-2010, 11:28 PM

Yes, but in fairness, the Rams were 2-14 the year previous, and 3-13 the year prior to that.

Chris
12-06-2010, 11:28 PM
Gary Kubiak? ZBS? Blow up the line all over again?

This team has gone to ****.

Taco John
12-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Gary Kubiak? ZBS? Blow up the line all over again?

This team has gone to ****.

Kubiak is a great QB coach, and Knowshon would thrive in a ZBS system.

OBF1
12-06-2010, 11:40 PM
Why would you and most of the others here give a ****.

Preach on brother...

yerner
12-06-2010, 11:43 PM
And if NFL network is right about below, I will gladly wait 5 years to get back to the superbowl.

"Sources close to the Broncos told NFL Network's Michael Lombardi that the team is expected to approach former Broncos Super Bowl hero John Elway for a front-office position and that if Gary Kubiak were available, he would be the team's first choice to coach the team next season."

Not the worst thing I've heard. I like coaches in their 2nd job.

~Crash~
You'll get McOver it.

there I fixed it for you .Ha!

Tombstone RJ

I think this has a lot to do with it too. Bowlen should see how Tampa Bay's front office works... hey Pat, they have a real GM with a plan!

Tombstone RJ
12-06-2010, 11:48 PM

LOL

Kubiak has done crap in 5 years as a HC with a number 1 pick as a QB and Matt Schaub.

McD is a much better QB coach, but don't let those facts **** with your lame opinions.

As for the ZBS, not sure if Josh's guys are suited for it or not. Probably not. Maybe if the Broncos run some kind of a hybrid scheme it would work.

Bronco Yoda
12-06-2010, 11:49 PM

Moreno DID seem to play better in the ZBS.

Tombstone RJ
12-06-2010, 11:49 PM
Not the worst thing I've heard. I like coaches in their 2nd job.

yah, and I like blowjobs on the 2nd date... what's your point? Oh, that's right, you have no point.

Bronco Yoda
12-06-2010, 11:50 PM

Don't ****ing tease me like this!

extralife
12-06-2010, 11:50 PM
rawr me tombstone me so mad rawr

Bronco Yoda
12-06-2010, 11:51 PM
Yo Tomb. Cheer up man.

Tombstone RJ
12-06-2010, 11:55 PM
If Bowlen has a plan I'll be fine, but firing McD not even two full years into his tenure is bad for the team. This is not a good sign, whether you like McD or not, this is bad for the team long term.

footstepsfrom#27
12-06-2010, 11:59 PM

Here you go... (Make it happen Pat)

http://nflmocks.com/files/2009/12/urban_meyer.jpg

yerner
12-07-2010, 12:07 AM
yah, and I like blowjobs on the 2nd date... what's your point? Oh, that's right, you have no point.

Dude, when you blow a guy isn't my buisness.

My point is that coaches that have already had a head coaching job once tend to do better in their second job. Kubiak would be someone that fits this description. Sports Ill. had an article on this phenomenon. It had Marty Morniegwig as their top choice for a head coaching job. I don't know anything about him.

Taco John
12-07-2010, 12:23 AM
If Bowlen has a plan I'll be fine, but firing McD not even two full years into his tenure is bad for the team. This is not a good sign, whether you like McD or not, this is bad for the team long term.

I can understand your frustration with the decision. I've been there man.

TheProfessor
12-07-2010, 01:10 AM

This line is pretty athletic, they would thrive in a ZBS system.

Bronco Yoda
12-07-2010, 01:39 AM
One thing is for certain. Kubes on the sideline and Elway in the FO would not only sell some tickets but bring some smiles in the seats.

How ugly would it get if however the W's never appeared. Yikes. Don't even want to think about that one. Talk about sticky situations.

Cito Pelon
12-07-2010, 01:59 AM
Well, gotta start all over again. I just roll with the punches.

TonyR
12-07-2010, 06:51 AM

Meh. People only like this because of the names involved. It's just nostalgia. Hearing "Elway" and "Kubiak" makes some feel warm and fuzzy. Color me unimpressed if this is what happens.

TailgateNut
12-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Tebow...no matter if he's good or not...isn't going to stop the opposing team from scoring 30-40 points.

BUT everyone expects Orton to do that. Why the DOUBLE STANDARD?

TailgateNut
12-07-2010, 10:33 AM

All of a sudden coaches get 5 years to straighten things up. WOW, I guess we change the height of the hurdle according to abient temps..

Rohirrim
12-07-2010, 10:39 AM
All of a sudden coaches get 5 years to straighten things up. WOW, I guess we change the height of the hurdle according to abient temps..

I was wondering about that. Ha!

elsid13
12-07-2010, 10:40 AM
LOL

Kubiak has done crap in 5 years as a HC with a number 1 pick as a QB and Matt Schaub.

McD is a much better QB coach, but don't let those facts **** with your lame opinions.

As for the ZBS, not sure if Josh's guys are suited for it or not. Probably not. Maybe if the Broncos run some kind of a hybrid scheme it would work.

I know it popular opinion of some that McDaniels remade all the team, but Clady, Harris and Kuper were all very successful Zone linemen under Shanny. Meanwhile Walton and Beatles have good enough feet and ability to play in that scheme too.

55CrushEm
12-07-2010, 10:41 AM

Really? With who? Are you referring to Wade Philips....cause he was fired after 2 years? Are you saying you were upset at that?

Oh, you're referring the Shanahan. He had 10 years (not 1 1/2) to get us (back) to a Superbowl.

Really no comparison......but whatever.

Inkana7
12-07-2010, 10:43 AM

Just like everyone hated Greise and Plummer because they replaced Elway, the guy who replaced Mike was going to probably get the same ****ty treatment from fans no matter what he did.

elsid13
12-07-2010, 10:44 AM
To tell the truth of all the other offense style out there, Shahanan/Kubes version of the WCO probable fits Tebow best with the naked boots, roll outs and PA. Orton would be in trouble though

55CrushEm
12-07-2010, 10:44 AM

Yeah, no kidding. I really can't figure out some of Taco's posts lately. Now 5 years is okay (expected) for a turnaround. But we should crucify McD if he doesn't clean up Shanahan's mess after only a season and a half.

:kiddingme

Pony Boy
12-07-2010, 10:48 AM

Spags didn't have Sam Bradford last year......

jmz313
12-07-2010, 10:58 AM
Yeah, no kidding. I really can't figure out some of Taco's posts lately. Now 5 years is okay (expected) for a turnaround. But we should crucify McD if he doesn't clean up Shanahan's mess after only a season and a half.

:kiddingme

Dont worry, there is no such thing as a long rebuilding process anymore in NFL. Its been proven over and over again that with the RIGHT coach, the team wins much sooner then later.

broncocalijohn
12-07-2010, 11:19 AM

time to bump that gutless gem.

broncocalijohn
12-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Just like everyone hated Greise and Plummer because they replaced Elway, the guy who replaced Mike was going to probably get the same ****ty treatment from fans no matter what he did.

When facts came out about how bad Shanny was, I think the number was 10%. When McDaniels decided to help make those numbers bigger, he **** the bed and made it 10% support for his side. A lot of supporters crossed over in a very short time. He could have won the hearts of everyone by not making bad trades and having a game plan ie. not being out coached. He did this to himself. I thought he sticks around until the end of the year but at least there is a chance at first crack at head coaches, current players going free agent or retirement get to see if the change is worth sticking around for the future and fans get a new sense of respectability or at least keep what McD didnt rape from us. If Bowlen wants to pay three coaches, so be it.

go_broncos
12-07-2010, 11:26 AM

If Kubiak is hired, then we are in trouble.
They play soft...
Hopefully, Bowlen hires a GM.

From this week, I am a HOU supporter..I want them to win remaining games so that Kubiak is not fired..

Taco John
12-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Really? With who? Are you referring to Wade Philips....cause he was fired after 2 years? Are you saying you were upset at that?

Oh, you're referring the Shanahan. He had 10 years (not 1 1/2) to get us (back) to a Superbowl.

Really no comparison......but whatever.

I am referring to Shanahan. He was in year 2 of a rebuild after having drafted Cutler and revamping the team with a youth movement. I thought he should have gotten a third year to prove that effort.