PDA

View Full Version : Do You Support Bowlen's Decision To Fire Coach McDaniels?

frerottenextelway
12-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Do You Support Bowlen's Decision To Fire Coach McDaniels?

Poll coming soon....

Homer Simpson
12-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Isn't there a poll on the front page?

extralife
12-06-2010, 04:44 PM
No, it makes no sense at all. Pretty sure this was a Tebow thing. Pat said start Tebow so I can sell some tickets, McD said I'm the coach, Pat said see you later.

frerottenextelway
12-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Isn't there a poll on the front page?

Different situation, since we're not talking hypothetically anymore.

Man-Goblin
12-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Not today, and not before the end of the season. Nope. It does no good whatsoever, especially since the decision most likely came from businessmen and not football people.

WolfpackGuy
Bye, McDaniels!

Your stuff and videocameras can be picked up on the front lawn of the Paul Bowlen Center tomorrow!

Homer Simpson
I'm concerned we go cheap with the new guy due to having to pay 3 coaches.

Hercules Rockefeller
12-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Not before the end of the season, unless they have someone like Gruden already lined up.

Homer Simpson
12-06-2010, 04:46 PM
!

Your stuff and videocameras can be picked up on the front lawn of the Paul Bowlen Center tomorrow!

maybe he'll send his dad?

Rock Chalk
12-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Not before the end of the season, unless they have someone like Gruden already lined up.

This, except the Gruden part. Timing is weird. I doubt they have any one lined up for the gig for next year.

Dr. Broncenstein
12-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Cancer doesn't go away by wishing it will get better.

Rock Chalk
12-06-2010, 04:58 PM

Your analogy is poor.

Homer Simpson
12-06-2010, 04:59 PM

What??

TonyR
12-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Doesn't seem to make much sense to do it now, but I put maybe since the right plan could sell me. But now Bowlen will have to pay 3 head coaches if he brings someone in before next season, which probably means he'll go cheap. And unless they fix this front office I'll still question the direction of the franchise.

Shoemaker
12-06-2010, 05:03 PM
I voted maybe, depends on the plan.

I just wish I could be confident that there's actually a plan.

But considering that Josh gave his presser today and an interim coach hasn't been named at all, I have no confidence that Bowlen actually thought this through.

alnorth
12-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Chiefs fan here.

I was greatly disappointed by the news. I thought McDaniels was doing a fine job. He'll be missed.

Shoemaker
12-06-2010, 05:04 PM

Holy ****, this could be the worst analogy of all time.

OrangenBlueOhio
12-06-2010, 05:06 PM
I voted heck yeah.

Dr. Broncenstein
12-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Holy ****, this could be the worst analogy of all time.

Really? Because it seems like Bowlen just got back the biopsy results from the pathologist. That tiny mass off a coach turned out to be malignant, and Bowlen has opted to have it resected despite the potential for complications.

Also, you can blow it out your arse.

misturanderson
12-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Depends on the plan going forward. But why now? The rumor is that Donatell, our DB coach, is going to be the interim. Sounds idiotic.

Dedhed
12-06-2010, 05:08 PM
He better have Gruden on board already.

tsiguy96
12-06-2010, 05:10 PM
no idea. i wanted him to finish out the season, but apparently thigns were worse in the broncos FO than we originally thought, who knows.

TonyR
12-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Really?

Yes, really. Because when the cancer is gone you are left with a whole, functioning person. When a head coach is gone you are left, obviously, without a head coach. You have to replace perhaps the most important person in the organization. So, yes, tiny little problem with your attempted analogy there.

DenverBroncosJM
12-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Im still trying to figure out what we gain by doing this? Is everyone magically now going to show up for the SD game?

Goobzilla
12-06-2010, 05:14 PM
How many times can I vote?

TonyR
12-06-2010, 05:14 PM
He better have Gruden on board already.

Highly, highly unlikely we'll get a big name coach. Not when he's still on the hook for both Shanahan and McDaniels. Which is why this decision is not sitting really well for me.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Three years. I'm disappointed. Don't really care, I just don't see that this is some magic healing bullet that will fix everything.

mwill07
12-06-2010, 05:18 PM
below is my list of McD grievances, originally posted on another message-board, circa 11/28:

The D is terrible (still), and showing no signs of getting better. The talent simply isn't there. Dawkins is playing awful - he's been burned for at least 3 long distance TD's over the past two games, and simply isn't making plays. There is absolutely no pass-rush from the DL. I'm sure that contributes to the fact that the DB's outside of Champ can't seem to cover or are playing way too soft zones. I like Ayers, Elvis, DJ, Mays and Champ, I'm not sure anyone else is worth NFL minimum wage.
way too many stupid mistakes - penalties in critical situations, too many (or too few) men on the field.
being embarrassed at home. Mile High used to be a very tough place to play. Now, it's a place where teams go to get their first road win of the season. In-Ex-Cuseable.
Being embarrassed by division rivals. When Lovie took over in Chicago, he won over the fan base by saying, "we will beat the Packers", I want the same focus on beating SD here. McD seems to concentrate on AFCE opponents - there was new things in the game plan for the NE game last year, and the NYJ game this year. Why don't we break out new stuff not on film for games vs oak or SD?
Being reckless with personnel moves. Alphonso, cutler, Hillis, Quinn, etc. Going into the season starting two rookie interior linemen, without having any veteran depth. Come on now. The problems the team had early on stem directly from lack of OL depth, which was something that should have been seen in July.
poor offensive play-calling/game planning. The Denver O has gotten predictable. It's so easy to get this team to abandon the run, and it seems pretty easy to get to Orton with the in-experienced linemen.
spygate II. I don't really care that it was a rogue employee - it was an employee hired by McD.
flat, un-inspired play. Probably stems from a lack of veteran leadership. I simply don't see the fire.
Things are trending worse, not better. McD does not have the ship headed in the right direction.

MaloCS
12-06-2010, 05:20 PM
HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!

I sent Joshie an email and offered to pay for his bus ticket back to New England. I'm so freaking giddy right now! Like Lazarus the Broncos have been resurrected.

WOO HOOO!!!!!!!! What a Christmas present! New Broncos gear for everyone in the family. Long live THE ORANGE AND BLUE!!!!!!!

Rohirrim
12-06-2010, 05:21 PM
The season was already toast. There's no point to this. What next? Tebow starts this week? Just plain dumb. No benefit to this.

The only way I can see this being the right thing to do is if Pat knows something about this video bs that we don't. If Josh was actually involved, and Pat was disgusted with the behavior, then I would agree with the move. Otherwise, it's senseless.

Kaylore
12-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Just like Shanahan, I think this firing was a year premature. However if you HAVE to do it, you might as well do it sooner than later.

Brian Billick was on NFL Network and said why he thought this went down when it did. He said Josh may have forced this issue saying he wanted a vote of confidence from ownership going into the next year and for the last four games. He thinks Bowlen may have not been ready to do that and that may have escalated into a firing.

gyldenlove
12-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Just like Shanahan, I think this firing was a year premature. However if you HAVE to do it, you might as well do it sooner than later.

Brian Billick was on NFL Network and said why he thought this went down when it did. He said Josh may have forced this issue saying he wanted a vote of confidence from ownership going into the next year and for the last four games. He thinks Bowlen may have not been ready to do that and that may have escalated into a firing.

To be honest this was coming since we got pummeled by the Raiders at home, Bowlen was clearly unhappy with that I think he already at the time sent out signals that that could never happen again.

I remember him saying that he thought Mcdaniels was a good coach but he wasn't so sure all the coaches around him were meant for the job, and that even though he lets his head coach chose the assistants, he would step in to make changes if necesary. To me that was a clear signal that he wanted Josh to put Martindale especially and maybe others on notice, I am not sure if Mcdaniels would do something like that to guys he handpicked, and combined with the utter mishandling of the video taping it may have let Bowlen to basicly give Mcdaniels a last chance which he didn't take.

I really hope there is a plan here, Ellis needs to be gone or have his power dialed back, Xanders is fine as a peanut counter, but no more, he should not be making personnel decisions, we need a GM who can make those decisions and who can bring in a HC.

Rohirrim
12-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Next coach of the Broncos should tattoo this on his ass: Beat the Raiders!

Pick Six
12-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Your analogy is poor.

...and, rather ****ing insulting...

Drek
12-06-2010, 05:54 PM
I'm in full support if this means Bowlen is going to actually let the next person have a real support structure.

McDaniels was hung out to dry and a young, bright football mind was given far too much rope from day one. Turns out he hung himself with it. That falls on Bowlen's shoulders for not putting in a real power structure to help McDaniels succeed.

Newsflash: 32 year olds might be really good coaches, but chances are they don't know nearly enough of their peers to assemble a competent staff.

Keep that in mind when you hire your next coach Pat.

Popps
12-06-2010, 06:01 PM
I've said before that I think the camera incident sealed his fate. Not that there weren't enough other issues, but I think the PR of that camera-gate nonsense did him in.

TonyR
12-06-2010, 06:05 PM
I've said before that I think the camera incident sealed his fate. Not that there weren't enough other issues, but I think the PR of that camera-gate nonsense did him in.

That's what Schefter is suggesting, although he also said last week he didn't think McDaniels would be fired.

Jesterhole
12-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Anyone who voted 'no' should find a sport they understand to follow instead.

TonyR
12-06-2010, 06:07 PM
McDaniels was hung out to dry and a young, bright football mind was given far too much rope from day one. Turns out he hung himself with it. That falls on Bowlen's shoulders for not putting in a real power structure to help McDaniels succeed.

Yup. And if there isn't a GM hired before the next coach is hired then we're already headed the wrong direction again. I think even a more experienced head coach needs to share power with someone. Coaches should not be unilaterally making player personnel decisions.

Jesterhole
12-06-2010, 06:08 PM

The camera thing was a pitiful excuse to fire him for the HORRIBLE FRIGGIN JOB HE AS DONE in every regard as a head coach. We all said it, if we were 9-3, no one would give a flying crap.

This gives Bowlen the cover he needs so he doesn't have to take as much blame for the colossal mistake of hiring such a waste of space.

TonyR
12-06-2010, 06:09 PM

I didn't vote no but I have to disagree with you. If we don't bring in an experienced, competent, empowered GM and an upgrade at head coach then what was accomplished? I also think they should have waited until the end of the season.

Steve Sewell
12-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Do You Support Bowlen's Decision To Fire Coach McDaniels?

Poll coming soon....

I thought he needed another year...firing a coach at this point is pretty shortsighted.

However, the play calling yesterday was freakin' ridiculous. I was thinking "is Josh TRYING to get fired?"

NYBronco
12-06-2010, 06:13 PM
I don't support Bowlen's decision to fire McD but didn't vote. I don't support the Bowlen Gutless Drunk reference. The man took a big risk to get rid of Shanahan and now McD.

But its time to move forward and support the new interim coach and whomever the new coach will be.

Merlin
12-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Timing is weird. I doubt they have any one lined up for the gig for next year.
I agree with this. I wanted him fired, but not now, unless they were able to fire for cause...then the timeline may have been force on them. Otherwise, I wish he had waited until the end of the season and been forced to use Teabow to see what we had. I would have trusted him coaching up Teabow, I don`t know about his replacement.

orinjkrush
12-06-2010, 06:20 PM
if i'm abe lincoln and we just got our asses kicked at manassas 59-0 and for two years we get our asses handed to us time after time. **** yeah, im lookin me for some Ulysses Grant.

Merlin
12-06-2010, 06:21 PM
I have not agreed with many of your posts the past yr or so, but whole heartily agree, although I would place the blame on Ellis' lap. Fire Ellis, or severely curtail his power and hire a good GM...are the Goodmans still available, maybe Parcells?

orinjkrush
12-06-2010, 06:23 PM

what, you mean he doesn't play well with owners just like he doesnt with coaches and players?

Merlin
12-06-2010, 06:23 PM
I think it gave supporters of McD that shared your support for him a way out. Saving face still matters, even if it is for oneself.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-06-2010, 06:25 PM

Pretty bold card for you to play.

Merlin
12-06-2010, 06:27 PM
The camera thing was a pitiful excuse to fire him for the HORRIBLE FRIGGIN JOB HE AS DONE in every regard as a head coach. We all said it, if we were 9-3, no one would give a flying crap.
If you don't fire Bellicheat for yrs of cheating, you surely don't fire a HC for spygate II, unless you are 5-17 and trending worse, then it becomes an easy justification.

Requiem
12-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Depends on how well we do in the coming season(s).

Yes, seasons. As I am willing to give whomever is selected to be our coach the benefit of the doubt for cleaning up this franchise that has been a pathetic trainwreck since 2005.

DenverBound
12-06-2010, 06:29 PM
I don't feel that way about Bowlen. However, this WILL go down as the biggest mistake in Denver Broncos history.

Dr. Broncenstein
12-06-2010, 06:31 PM
I don't feel that way about Bowlen. However, this WILL go down as the biggest mistake in Denver Broncos history.

It only took Bowlen 1.75 seasons to realize it. Pretty good reaction time for a gastrointestinally challenged ethanol addict.

Rohirrim
12-06-2010, 06:34 PM

TJ throws the best OM troll party. !Booya!

Steve Sewell
12-06-2010, 06:35 PM
I don't support Bowlen's decision to fire McD but didn't vote. I don't support the Bowlen Gutless Drunk reference. The man took a big risk to get rid of Shanahan and now McD.

But its time to move forward and support the new interim coach and whomever the new coach will be.

I agree. Its kind of sad that we have so many d-bags for fans that don't have enough respect to appreciate what Bowlen has brought to Denver from an ownership perspective.

Popps
12-06-2010, 06:39 PM
I agree. Its kind of sad that we have so many d-bags for fans that don't have enough respect to appreciate what Bowlen has brought to Denver from an ownership perspective.

Again, consider the source: your average Orange Mane poster.

Most thinking fans realize what he's done for us.

DBroncos4life
12-06-2010, 06:40 PM

Most fans want wins....

TonyR
12-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Mort: Broncos could fire McDaniels for cause
Posted by Mike Florio on December 6, 2010, 7:46 PM EST
In the first barstools-and-business-suits report from ESPN’s Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen regarding the termination of Broncos coach Josh McDaniels, Mort made a point that Peter King and a certain Internet hack first articulated after last month’s Bayou Classic on NBC.

With Broncos COO Joe Ellis declaring on the day that Spygate II hit the fan that McDaniels’ failure to sound the alarm regarding an obvious episode of cheating was not an offense for which McDaniels could be fired, the Broncos may have to eat those words if the team decides to fire McDaniels for cause, a device that would cut off the balance of his pay.

Per Mort, the Broncos could indeed fire McDaniels for cause. And, thus, McDaniels’ grievance would feature prominently and repeatedly the words of Ellis.

In the end, any grievance would be resolved by the league office, a playing field tilted in favor of the 32 franchises who employ the Commissioner and his staff. As a result, the Broncos will be more likely to distance themselves from Ellis’ comments in that forum than in an ordinary court of law.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/06/mort-broncos-could-fire-mcdaniels-for-cause/

Dukes
12-06-2010, 06:45 PM
In the first barstools-and-business-suits report from ESPN’s Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen regarding the termination of Broncos coach Josh McDaniels, Mort made a point that Peter King and a certain Internet hack first articulated after last month’s Bayou Classic on NBC.

With Broncos COO Joe Ellis declaring on the day that Spygate II hit the fan that McDaniels’ failure to sound the alarm regarding an obvious episode of cheating was not an offense for which McDaniels could be fired, the Broncos may have to eat those words if the team decides to fire McDaniels for cause, a device that would cut off the balance of his pay.

Per Mort, the Broncos could indeed fire McDaniels for cause. And, thus, McDaniels’ grievance would feature prominently and repeatedly the words of Ellis.

In the end, any grievance would be resolved by the league office, a playing field tilted in favor of the 32 franchises who employ the Commissioner and his staff. As a result, the Broncos will be more likely to distance themselves from Ellis’ comments in that forum than in an ordinary court of law.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/06/mort-broncos-could-fire-mcdaniels-for-cause/

I don't see how Ellis' statement could be held against the Broncos if they have sufficient evidence of McDaniels involvement

frerottenextelway
12-06-2010, 06:48 PM

Get a Kleenex already, the line was obviously a friendly jab at TJ, not at Pat, seeing as I agree with Pat's decision.

ScottXray
12-06-2010, 06:51 PM
I voted Maybe. Timing is everything. If this was just a knee jerk reaction then it is a bad move. If Bowlen actually has someone in mind and a plan to hire some good GM and restructure the office then I'm for it.

But actually I think this was knee jerk and Bowlen will get some more crank calls from Al Davis at 2AM.

NYBronco
12-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Most fans want wins....

If your only a fan when the team wins then are you really a fan?

maven
12-06-2010, 06:52 PM
bye bye joshie........ lol gtfo!

TonyR
12-06-2010, 06:57 PM

This is huge. It's possible that Bowlen went cheap with McD and no veteran GM because of the Shanahan money. Now imagine having to still not only pay Shanahan for another year but also pay McDaniels for I think two more years! Plus the possibility of a lockout on top of this.

Dedhed
12-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Highly, highly unlikely we'll get a big name coach. Not when he's still on the hook for both Shanahan and McDaniels. Which is why this decision is not sitting really well for me.

There's a long way to go before he's on the hook for McDaniels, and people have been talking about money being a limiting issue ad nauseum lately, and in every case it's proved not to be a contributing factor.

DBroncos4life
12-06-2010, 07:15 PM
If your only a fan when the team wins then are you really a fan?

There is a huge difference for cheering for the team when it only wins and WANTING WINS.

Archer81
12-06-2010, 07:30 PM
If Bowlen felt it had to be done, then yes. Its going to be messy.

:Broncos:

Rohirrim
12-06-2010, 07:31 PM

Sounds like a good reason to fire Ellis.

DivineBronco
12-06-2010, 07:37 PM
it is possible to appreciate what pat has done but realize now he is no longer fit to make snap decisions. His condition is only going to get worse not better