PDA

View Full Version : calhoun?

titan
12-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Listened to an interview this morning with Kyle Ringo of the Boulder Daily Camera on the CU coaching search. Was Air Force coach Troy Calhoun ever a serious candidate for the Colorado job?"

"They think he's going to be the next head coach of the Denver Broncos," said Ringo.

Calhoun was a broncos assistant in the past and worked for Kubiak in Houston. Still seems like a big jump up for Calhoun - I would prefer a solid veteran GM and let the GM pick the coach (I said the same thing when Shanahan was fired)

Garcia Bronco
12-06-2010, 09:51 AM
I'd like to say it's BS, but who knows. I didn't think Bowlen would pull the trigger on Shanahan. Who btw, is getting killed in the NFC East. They don't play the finesse ball we like to play out here in the West.

bronco_diesel
12-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Listened to an interview this morning with Kyle Ringo of the Boulder Daily Camera on the CU coaching search. Was Air Force coach Troy Calhoun ever a serious candidate for the Colorado job?"

"They think he's going to be the next head coach of the Denver Broncos," said Ringo.

Calhoun was a broncos assistant in the past and worked for Kubiak in Houston. Still seems like a big jump up for Calhoun - I would prefer a solid veteran GM and let the GM pick the coach (I said the same thing when Shanahan was fired)

I heard that too, and this has been said a few times on Vic and Gary by various people.

NFLBRONCO
12-06-2010, 10:04 AM
This type of hire is what I'd expect this offseason vs Gruden/Cowher type hire. If this would happen I can't say I'd be very excited.

theAPAOps5
12-06-2010, 10:11 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if he is a short list candidate, doesn't mean he gets it. But I have heard reports that he is VERY respected in Dove Valley.

Chris
12-06-2010, 10:16 AM
http://megaweb.ucoz.com/Filmek/fuves_daltry.jpg

titan
12-06-2010, 10:49 AM
I thought Calhoun would have been a terrible hire for Colorado. He appears to be a good x's and o's guy but not the most dynamic personality. I didn't see how he would be successful recruiting in Boulder.

The pro game is different, and Calhoun may be better suited to be an nfl coach where the only recruiting is for free agents. Still I want to see the broncos get the best player personnel guy they can, and Calhoun isn't that.

Bighorn
12-06-2010, 11:13 AM
How about Mike Mayok as head of player personel

Hercules Rockefeller
12-06-2010, 12:00 PM

Was he considered? Yes.

Was he the #1 choice like John Henderson at the Post claims? No.

titan
12-06-2010, 03:55 PM
bump - with the McDaniels news Alfred Williams on 104.3 is saying Calhoun will be the next head coach according to his sources. We'll see.

TonyR
12-06-2010, 04:09 PM
That would be an epic disaster if true. It would prove one thing to the McD hater brigade: be careful what you wish for. But if figures Bowlen will go cheap with having to pay 3 head coaches leading into a lockout. We're not getting a big name coach in here. What a fokking mess.

jmz313
12-06-2010, 04:15 PM
would be silly to rush into hiring Calhoun unless he was taking over tomorrow. I doubt he's gonna leave AF before his bowl game. Not sure i'd want a coach who'd leave his team if it was the case.

Lev Vyvanse
12-06-2010, 04:48 PM
If Bowlen's plan is to make us suck so bad he can move us to L.A., this would be the next logical step.

Ray Finkle
12-06-2010, 04:54 PM
any info on Calhoun (strengths/weaknesses)?

Drek
12-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Bowlen needs to bring in Mike Lombardi from NFLN and let him lead the HC search. Last time Lombardi did that he connected the Rams with Dick Vermiel and they won a title and went to another.

He'd make the logical Pro Personnel Director to help guide this organization's next leader back on track.

spdirty
12-06-2010, 04:58 PM
My first wet dream choice is Jeff Fisher. Above everyone. But if we can't get him, I will be happy with Calhoun AS LONG AS we get a football guy GM in here.

Lev Vyvanse
12-06-2010, 05:05 PM
any info on Calhoun (strengths/weaknesses)?

Weakness-He was an OC one year in Huston. They finish something like 30th in offense.

Strength- He can win eight games at Air Force.

Lev Vyvanse
12-06-2010, 05:06 PM
I would have been pissed if the Buffs hired him.

extralife
12-06-2010, 05:06 PM
god please don't hire Calhoun :(

Hercules Rockefeller
12-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Thought I read somewhere that he's never beaten a BCS team while at AF.

Steve Sewell
12-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Weakness-He was an OC one year in Huston. They finish something like 30th in offense.

Strength- He can win eight games at Air Force.

Calhoun is a Shanahan disciple to boot. Not saying thats a bad thing, but it would look pretty retarded to throw away 2 seasons after firing Shanahan before bringing in someone from his tree.

Lev Vyvanse
12-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Thought I read somewhere that he's never beaten a BCS team while at AF.

No, I think he's beaten Notre Dame.

That One Guy
12-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Bowlen needs to bring in Mike Lombardi from NFLN and let him lead the HC search. Last time Lombardi did that he connected the Rams with Dick Vermiel and they won a title and went to another.

He'd make the logical Pro Personnel Director to help guide this organization's next leader back on track.

I've always wondered what the love for Lombardi was from. I didn't know that was his work.

Dedhed
12-06-2010, 06:42 PM

I'd be on board with Lombardi at GM, but I haven't heard anything that even hints at Xanders being let go.

Calhoun would be utter Failure.

Dedhed
12-06-2010, 06:45 PM
My first wet dream choice is Jeff Fisher.

Why on earth would Jeff Fisher be your dream? Do you just love stagnant mediocrity?

My dream would be to get Bill Parcels as GM and bring in Chip Kelly.

go_broncos
12-06-2010, 06:48 PM
Please don't hire any shanny/Bellicheck assistants as HC.they all suck..

Sassy
12-06-2010, 07:05 PM
877 The Ticket
The Big Show's Les Shapiro tells Tony D and PW that Troy Calhoun will be the new head coach of the Denver Broncos

TailgateNut
12-06-2010, 07:08 PM
877 The Ticket
The Big Show's Les Shapiro tells Tony D and PW that Troy Calhoun will be the new head coach of the Denver Broncos

I just barfed!

...anyone interested in a slighty used RV and season tix