PDA

View Full Version : What to do at QB now that the season is in the tank.

Bronco Yoda
12-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Only four games left and we are out of the playoffs. How should we playout the final quarter of the season?

Should McD protect Tebow on the bench for the rest of the season or put him in to get some experience?

SonOfLe-loLang
12-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Let Tebow start a game.

Homer Simpson
12-05-2010, 10:31 PM
He's not a china doll for gods sake.

It can go the way of Clausen, or the way of McCoy or better. I don't care about Orton's ego, perhaps his trade value though.

KevinJames
12-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Start Tebow bench Orton

this way you can develop Tebow early, and save Orton from getting a late injury that could hurt his trade value.

TheProfessor
12-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Release the Tebow

Sorry, but I laugh every time they say that on the radio.

Popps
12-05-2010, 10:39 PM
I've been a believer that Orton gives us the best chance to win going forward. Today was just one game, so I'm not ready to cash that in.

However... the Tebow thing just isn't going to go away until we stick him in there, and I'm honestly so tired of the conversation... I'm fine with him playing the rest of this season. I don't think he will, but I'm fine if he does. Kyle will still have a chance to win the gig next season.

McDaniels was asked about it and didn't say yes... but clearly didn't say no, either. Said they'll discuss those things later.

RhymesayersDU
Considering Orton/Lloyd have powered me into the fantasy football playoffs, I can't have Orton benched now.

footstepsfrom#27
It's Tebow time!

Finger Roll
12-05-2010, 10:42 PM
It's pretty much pointless playing Orton now

24champ
12-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Tebow was considered a project QB coming out of the draft, and I don't believe he's gotten enough reps in practice to get any chemistry going with the WRs, linemen etc. Also skeptical that he fixed his throwing motion in less than a year under McDaniels. I would think at the least he needs another offseason and work with McDaniels with the playbook before he is fully ready.

On the other hand, Orton has taken the majority of the snaps all season and has more familiarity with the starting offensive players and the playbook season than Tebow or Quinn. I'd say Orton is the starter for the rest of the season, barring injury.

zdoor
12-05-2010, 10:52 PM
A few series AT LEAST...

24champ
12-05-2010, 10:53 PM
I've been a believer that Orton gives us the best chance to win going forward. Today was just one game, so I'm not ready to cash that in.

However... the Tebow thing just isn't going to go away until we stick him in there, and I'm honestly so tired of the conversation... I'm fine with him playing the rest of this season. I don't think he will, but I'm fine if he does. Kyle will still have a chance to win the gig next season.

McDaniels was asked about it and didn't say yes... but clearly didn't say no, either. Said they'll discuss those things later.

This is in all likelihood Orton's last season with the Broncos. 99 percent sure he is gone. Orton has some value to other teams in need of a QB that would help the Broncos fix other issues on the team.

mr007
12-05-2010, 10:53 PM
We have nothing to lose - I say put him in there and let's see how he does.

Hercules Rockefeller
12-05-2010, 10:54 PM
No starts unless KO gets hurt

Give him a series or two each game

Give him the 2nd half against SD

strafen
12-05-2010, 10:57 PM

Exactly.
It's a double edged sword the way I see it.

first, if we stick with Orton, he runs a risk of getting injured and killing any chances of getting any value on a possible trade.

Second. Playing Orton doesn't benefit us in anything at all.
The time is now to get a head start of what we've got to work with.
Start Tebow!

Is Tebow the answer?

One way to find out and that is, play him. Perfect number of games left to get a solid idea of what we can expect by the time he will have played out this season.

The only thing standing in the way is McDaniels.
I'll say it again, McDaniels is predictable not for what he would do, but for what he wouldn't do.

I hope the media start asking McDaniels if he would contemplate starting Tebow any time soon.

I'll be very interested in what his take on it would be

I won't hold my breath, but I won't be mad if I'm wrong on this one. ;)

RhymesayersDU
12-05-2010, 11:05 PM

Give him the 2nd half against SD

I like this idea. I know that subbing QBs in and out generally isn't a good idea, but I don't want to just hand the keys to Tebow yet either. A couple of series, a half, I would be for that.

Oh and also, with this said, I don't want to see Tebow running the ball at all for the rest of the year. I get that he's athletic and that's a weapon, but if he goes in, quite frankly, I want to see him play QB. Handing the ball off, throwing the ball, etc. No more gimmick stuff. Let him play the position under normal circumstances.

SonOfLe-loLang
12-05-2010, 11:37 PM
I like this idea. I know that subbing QBs in and out generally isn't a good idea, but I don't want to just hand the keys to Tebow yet either. A couple of series, a half, I would be for that.

Oh and also, with this said, I don't want to see Tebow running the ball at all for the rest of the year. I get that he's athletic and that's a weapon, but if he goes in, quite frankly, I want to see him play QB. Handing the ball off, throwing the ball, etc. No more gimmick stuff. Let him play the position under normal circumstances.

If you give him a couple of series, he's not gonna get in a flow. Give him one freakin' game. There's ZERO harm in it. And don't limit his game, just let him play.

BroncoMatt
12-05-2010, 11:45 PM
We play Arizona. They stink as bad as us, or possibly even more. Put the kid in and see what he's got.

strafen
12-05-2010, 11:58 PM

Give him the 2nd half against SDIf you're going to get him in, get him in for the whole game.
This Mickey Mouse process would not work.
We need to see him play a whole game. A play here, and play there is a waste of time, plus it doesn't tell you anything...

Hulamau
12-06-2010, 12:07 AM
Considering Orton/Lloyd have powered me into the fantasy football playoffs, I can't have Orton benched now.

Ditto ..:-)

broncocalijohn
12-06-2010, 02:38 AM
If Orton is around next season, you need to keep starting him. But, I would like to see Tebow get some action especially if it is a blow out one way or the other. If Orton is not in the plans, start putting Tebow in more than a few snaps.

Blart
12-06-2010, 03:08 AM
Reasons to put Tebow in:

1) Higher draft pick next season.
2) Confirm McDaniels should be fired.
3) Will be his only chance to start, ever.

The Joker
12-06-2010, 03:12 AM
I've officially caved, put Tebow in and see what happens I say.

maher_tyler
12-06-2010, 03:14 AM
Tebow wouldn't get his start until the Houston game and only if Orton keeps stinkin it up and Houston isn't playing for the playoffs!! Other than that..i don't see Tebow getting the nod unless Orton gets hurt.

fontaine
12-06-2010, 06:07 AM
Start Orton.

Play Tebow when we're ahead by double digits.

:)

TheReverend
12-06-2010, 06:36 AM
Should've started after the bye...

go_broncos
12-06-2010, 07:10 AM
Reasons to put Tebow in:

1) Higher draft pick next season.
2) Confirm McDaniels should be fired.
3) Will be his only chance to start, ever.

This is the reason Mcd won't start Tebow..

Old Dude
12-06-2010, 07:40 AM
We are now officially in our 2011 preseason, so the primary objectives are to evaluate talent and get the youngsters experience.

Tebow's certainly one of them, so it's time for him to see more action - at least a third of the playing time from here on out. There's nothing to lose that hasn't already been lost.

55CrushEm
12-06-2010, 08:29 AM

Agreed. Since we're officially out of the playoffs, the only thing that can come of playing Orton is getting him hurt, which will hurt his trade value (IF that's what we chose to do), as another poster already mentioned.

Let Tebow play the final quarter of the season.

Smiling Assassin27
12-06-2010, 08:38 AM
Nah, I keep it the same. No need to get impatient with Tebow just because the season is a lost one. Keep developing the guy and give him all the tools he needs to come back next year in a bigger/starting role if he wins the job.

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad325/BlackJackTemp/calm-down.jpg

55CrushEm
12-06-2010, 08:49 AM
Nah, I keep it the same. No need to get impatient with Tebow just because the season is a lost one. Keep developing the guy and give him all the tools he needs to come back next year in a bigger/starting role if he wins the job.

Dude....we're calm. Just don't see much point in risking injury to Orton.

Lolad
12-06-2010, 08:52 AM
The only reason sadly I think we should continue with Orton is so we can get a good draft pick for him. If we sit him now it'll show teams we want to go in another direction and they will low ball us on a pick

Smiling Assassin27
12-06-2010, 08:53 AM
Dude....we're calm. Just don't see much point in risking injury to Orton.

He's the best qb we have. If you're afraid of the best players getting injured, why even play 'em in Game 1? You put your best 11 on the field and you play it straight. Putting Tebow in to save Orton from getting injured is compromising wins, IMO. Given this team's 15 round bout with kharma this year, Tebow gets Theismann'd and our investment pays out zero for us. Let the guy develop as scheduled.

peacepipe
12-06-2010, 09:02 AM
The only reason sadly I think we should continue with Orton is so we can get a good draft pick for him. If we sit him now it'll show teams we want to go in another direction and they will low ball us on a pickthe broncos are going to get low balled regardless. Orton may not even be tradable.

Homer Simpson
12-06-2010, 09:09 AM
the broncos are going to get low balled regardless. Orton may not even be tradable.

That's madness. There are 5 - 10 teams in desperate need of a QB.

crawdad
12-06-2010, 09:19 AM
This is in all likelihood Orton's last season with the Broncos. 99 percent sure he is gone. Orton has some value to other teams in need of a QB that would help the Broncos fix other issues on the team.

Do you really believe that Tebow can carry this team next year! Orton will still be in Denver in 2011. He has one bad game and we are all ready to hang him?

SonOfLe-loLang
12-06-2010, 09:23 AM

And why can't on the field play count as development. This is not some video role playing game where he can continue to kill easy monsters to build his strength.

PLAY HIM FOR A GAME

SonOfLe-loLang
12-06-2010, 09:24 AM
Do you really believe that Tebow can carry this team next year! Orton will still be in Denver in 2011. He has one bad game and we are all ready to hang him?

Its not even that. We invested a number one pick in the QB, our team friggin sucks, i think all of us are curious to see what we have. This is not a one game audition for his NFL future, but even if we see some good flashes, at least we know we have something to look forward to.

Plus, he's BEEN in games before...he has 4 touchdowns, its not like he's gonna be a deer in headlights out there

broncosteven
12-06-2010, 09:28 AM
We are now officially in our 2011 preseason, so the primary objectives are to evaluate talent and get the youngsters experience.

Tebow's certainly one of them, so it's time for him to see more action - at least a third of the playing time from here on out. There's nothing to lose that hasn't already been lost.

Yep this season is done, it is time to stop the CiDtL **** and give Tebow at least a series or 2 in each half or MORE vs a weak AZ team.

All keeping Orton out there is going to do is rack up his own stats, which were for **** yesterday, and possibly get him killed.

Put Tebow in, let him see real game speed on a full drive where he is allowed to CiDtL himself. If he sucks and can't do anything then maybe I convert to the draft Luck crowd but if he can handle the heat and move the team down field then leave him in and let him get those rookie jitters out of his system now like Cutler did. There are usually 2-3 games where starting rookie QB's look lost and cost their teams games, get that done now, we are not going on any win streak to close the season and get into the playoffs.

mCd should play with his shiny toy that he really, really wanted before he gets canned and can't play with it anymore.

Smiling Assassin27
12-06-2010, 09:30 AM
And why can't on the field play count as development. This is not some video role playing game where he can continue to kill easy monsters to build his strength.

PLAY HIM FOR A GAME

I'm not saying it can't be. What I'm saying is that you do not alter the development plan of Tebow simply because you're 3-9. You alter it because you think he's equipped to succeed and because he possesses the understanding to run the offense well. The only opinion that holds legitimate weight is McD's because he's got the track record of developing qb's, and I doubt he'll throw Tebow in there just because his team's 3-9.

go_broncos
12-06-2010, 09:31 AM
We have so many needs and Josh drafts a project type QB that will be ready in couple more years..That alone should indicate how dumb he is..
Right now, I am fine with starting with Tebow though i know he is not ready.
At least, he gets some experience..

SonOfLe-loLang
12-06-2010, 09:32 AM
We have so many needs and Josh drafts a project type QB that will be ready in couple more years..That alone should indicate how dumb he is..
Right now, I am fine with starting with Tebow though i know he is not ready.
At least, he gets some experience..

My god, shut the **** up already and get laid

Bronco Yoda
12-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Wow.

Over 50% currently want to start him right now.

Anyone see the latest news from Josh. He isn't listening to you.

24champ
12-06-2010, 04:09 PM

Agreed. I would think Tebow will benefit from another offseason with McDaniels and the first team offense. He was considered a project coming out of the draft, most have said 2-3 years before Tebow is ready. When he is ready, he'll be ready. No need to throw him out there just because the fans want to see Tebow.

go_broncos
12-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Wow.

Over 50% currently want to start him right now.

Anyone see the latest news from Josh. He isn't listening to you.

When you draft a QB in first round(ignoring other needs) by trading 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds..he better be ready to play immediately.

It will be stupid to say that he will be ready to play in NFL in couple of seasons after giving up all the picks.

Why the hell didn't you concentrate on defense and drafted in first place??

go_broncos
12-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Agreed. I would think Tebow will benefit from another offseason with McDaniels and the first team offense. He was considered a project coming out of the draft, most have said 2-3 years before Tebow is ready. When he is ready, he'll be ready. No need to throw him out there just because the fans want to see Tebow.

2-3 Years??...Then, why the hell did we draft him in first round ignoring all other needs.

Bronco Yoda
12-07-2010, 12:05 AM
I wonder if anyone's thougts on this have changes since the McD firing?