PDA

View Full Version : Evaluating Our Roster and Possible Draft Direction

Requiem
12-05-2010, 05:33 PM
I figured it might be an apt time to start going over our roster and discussing with fellow fans what positions we will need to seek an upgrade for the draft or even free agency. I think it is quite obvious that we desperately need help on the defensive line, especially youth. I wouldn't discount an upgrade in the secondary either, as Dawkins and Hill haven't been impressive and there is a chance (and it would be a killer to the team) if Champ decides to leave in free agency. Here are my thoughts -- I probably won't include all players but those I feel will be around or have success down the road on our team.

Quarterback: Orton, Tebow, Quinn

Orton has put up some amazing numbers this year, but in the red zone and third downs we simply aren't converting. It is probably evident that he will be around with his extension next year, but who knows if he will be the starter. Tebow will also stay, but I wonder what becomes of him as a player if McDaniels is axed. Would we go for a coach who is willing to try him out there? Not sure. It certainly isn't a position where we have an elite player, but I think it is safe to assume we won't be drafting someone there either.

Backing Corps: Moreno, Buckhalter, Maroney, Ball, Larsen

Moreno and Larsen seem like the only likely carry overs heading into next season in the defensive backfield. Buckhalter is injury prone, old and cannot be counted on. While acquiring Maroney made some sort of sense, I think we really laid an egg on that one. I wouldn't consider Ball anything else than a reserve tailback that would see an occasional carry. I would place some sort of emphasis on getting another back to compliment Moreno. Whether it is a power back with size or one with some receiving and return abilities, I feel we need an upgrade there. How early? Perhaps as early as the third round.

Receivers: Royal, Gaffney, Lloyd, Thomas, Decker

Would have to say that Lloyd has benefited from being under McDaniels and hopefully he can get an extension of some kind. Looking at this group, I don't really think we need to draft anybody here. Hopefully Thomas can be healthy and Decker will continue to grow into a role in this offense. I think we are solid and very deep here.

Tight Ends: Graham, Quinn, Gronkowski

Tight ends haven't been involved much in our passing game this year, which is sort of a disappointment, though we have had success with our receivers. Grabbing a tight end with some sort of pass receiving skills might be someting worth pursuing in the mid-rounds of the draft. I am not thrilled with the talent here currently, but with how our offense is ran through our receivers I think it kind of sets it off.

Offensive Line: Clady, Beadles, Walton, Kuper, Harris, Olsen

I am not sure of the depth behind these guys, but these are the names I know. Seems pretty good for starters, and I'm fairly certain Harris is an RFA so he should be around next year. I would not mind drafting another tackle or versatile player who can play multiple spots along the line, but I don't think that it is an extensive need (early round consideration) but could be done after the first three rounds for longevity in the future, especially if we don't consider Harris a long-term option here.

Defensive Line: Bannan, Williams, McBean, Thomas, Fields

Bannan is an above-average starter, but it is clear that Williams is not his former self and the other people listed are clearly best in a rotational role. Upgrading the end and nose tackle position early on should be an absolute priority. Great thing is that there are plenty of seniors (and even juniors) who would fill these voids in the first three rounds. Yeah, we need to draft them early. No other way of putting it.

Linebackers: Dumervil, Ayers, Haggan, Williams, Mays, Hunter, Woodyard

I think we would be doing a lot better if Dumervil were on the field this year and believe he can make a great impact when he comes back to the field next year. Ayers shows flashes, but still hasn't put it completely together. We have some decent players on the inside, but nobody overpowering enough to make our defense great. In all honest, I think that getting a stud on the inside or even outside (just a good pass rusher at OLB) should merit early round consideration as well.

Secondary: Bailey, Goodman, Cox, Thompson, Jones -- Dawkins, Hill, Bruton and McBath

There is a lot of age and ambiguity at the position. I feel that McBath could be a starter down the road, but he cannot stay healthy. I like Bruton as a reserve safety and a special teams ace. He definitely has a niche on the roster based on what he can do in that regard. I am not sure if we will pick up Dawkins option, and I am not impressed with what I see of Hill. If Bailey goes, we would definitely need to get another player there somehow. I like Thompson as a nickle or dime corner for us too, could care less about Nate Jones.

The priority of drafting someone here will depend upon what happens with Dawkins, Bailey, Hill, etc. Did Goodman even play today? Is he even walking? I do not know.

So, based on my short thoughts, I've come up with this:

Defense is our absolute priority, especially the front seven. I believe our first three selections should be placed on a NT, DE and LB.
Pending what happens with our secondary players, we could invest in a player there as early as the third round. I would also consider a versatile running back this early as well.
Use our mid-round selections on depth for the offensive line, perhaps a receiving tight end and then defensively as well.

I believe we sit here pick wise: 1, 2, 2 (MIA), 3, 6 (NE) 6 (DET) and 7.

I'm confident on those picks, besides what pick we got (if any) along with Gronkowski from Detroit.

Would love to hear your thoughts on talent and where we should go.

phibacka31
12-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Very good break down REQ.

I couldn't agree more with your idea of the first three picks. I like Joe Mays a bunch, but it would not hurt at all to get another stud in the LB crew. I figure the more the better. Need to find a pass rush somewhere, because without DOOM it's pretty much non-exsitant. I wish McBath would stay healthy because I think he could be a palyer. I also like what I've seen from Cox as a rook. Need help there though for sure, because Dawk is a shell of himself and Hill is a mess as well. I hope we keep Bailey though if we don't I wouldn't mind getting Petterson or Prince in the 1st round and than attacking the front seven the rest of the draft. Not really sure what the FA market is but may be able to find that compliment back there. I think Brandon Jacobs is a FA? Thought on bringing him in? Anywho great break down. Do you have 3 players in mind you belivee Denver could come away with in the first three rounds? I'd be interested in your take.

OBF1
12-05-2010, 05:45 PM
1) NT
2) DE
3) ILB
4) Safety

Ratboy
12-05-2010, 05:45 PM
We need a lot of help. =(

ro_50
12-05-2010, 05:46 PM
Excellent breakdown. Send it over to that inept GM and that inept coach so they can have some common sense.

thecool
Defense is our absolute priority, especially the front seven. I believe our first three selections should be placed on a NT, DE and LB.

I think Safety is a huge need for us right now too. Using one of those picks for that would fine IMO too.

RhymesayersDU
Front seven on defense all the way.

I know we have issues at CB and Safety, but getting into the backfield and forcing QB's into bad throws will alleviate those issues a bit. Need. A. Pass. Rush.

WolfpackGuy
12-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Carpet bomb the NT and S positions, but if Luck is available, take him.

tsiguy96
DE/NT/S need to be the first 3 picks im thinking, basically what you said but nothing on offense makes sense, and hunter is an above average OLB for the 3-4

Clockwork Orange
Defense is our absolute priority, especially the front seven.

This is not a recording....

RhymesayersDU
12-05-2010, 05:49 PM

Re: Luck

Would you start him right away? And I'm not saying you're right or wrong, just curious your thought on the matter if that was to happen.

Denver724
12-05-2010, 05:50 PM
I think RB White is also on the roster next year.

Requiem
12-05-2010, 05:50 PM
Yeah, I think safety is up there as well. I just think that the talent available for the front seven would allow for better choices in that regard as opposed to over drafting a safety early in a weak class for the position. Thanks for the comments guys, keep 'em coming.

I know it kind of sucks rooting to lose for a better pick, but we need all the help we can get. We haven't been looking at picks this high (originally for us without moving) in decades, so hopefully we can make the most of it. I really hope that someone puts the foot down and tells us to take the safe picks (if there is such a thing) as opposed to some of the obtuse gambling and questionable decisions (value and player) made over the past two years.

(Keep in mind, I actually liked a lot of our selections, but some of them WTF.)

Requiem
12-05-2010, 05:51 PM
I'm glad someone brought up the Luck argument to add to the fire for the QB controversy here as well. I don't see us going that route at all, but I can see where it would make sense.

Denver724
12-05-2010, 05:52 PM

Would you start him right away? And I'm not saying you're right or wrong, just curious your thought on the matter if that was to happen.

My latest issue of the Sporting News breaks down the top players in the draft. Luck is #1 and the writer/scout states he is the BEST QB he has ever evaluated. How can you not take him (although I don't think we will have a high enough pick)?

WolfpackGuy
12-05-2010, 05:55 PM

I don't see why not.

He would be stepping into a much better situation of complementary talent than Bradford did at STL.

I also don't think his learning curve will be as steep as Tebow's.

rbackfactory80
I would take Luck no matter what. It's a QB league, unfortunately.

Requiem
I do no even think we will have a chance at Luck. I know that the Panthers took Clausen, but this kid is way better than him. No way in Hell the Bills would pass on him either.

SoDak Bronco
12-05-2010, 05:57 PM
Take Fairley from Auburn, and look for the best defensive player to slip into the 2nd round. Maybe a solid MLB/NT.

WolfpackGuy
12-05-2010, 05:59 PM
I do no even think we will have a chance at Luck. I know that the Panthers took Clausen, but this kid is way better than him. No way in Hell the Bills would pass on him either.

Yeah, it's gonna take a some good fortune to land him.

Even at 4 or 5!

rbackfactory80
12-05-2010, 05:59 PM

Let the season play out. Bills are a better team than us. I don't believe the Bengals will take a QB and as you said the Panthers have a QB that they might want to move forward with.

elsid13
12-05-2010, 06:00 PM
IF Luck comes out he goes #1. He is that good.

If we don't trade down, I strongly suspect that it will be either Prince Amukamara or Patrick Peterson, especial if Champ is not resigned.

WolfpackGuy
12-05-2010, 06:01 PM
I wish they still had those extra picks...

snowspot66
12-05-2010, 06:14 PM

He won't be so that makes that decision easy. The Bills will take him. I don't see any way in hell they win two more along with us losing out. Although we probably do have the strength of schedule tie breaker what with playing in the AFCWest and playing the NFCWest.

elsid13
12-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Take Fairley from Auburn, and look for the best defensive player to slip into the 2nd round. Maybe a solid MLB/NT.

Fairly is very good player, but he doesn't fit what the Broncos are attempting to do on defense line. His strength is getting up the field and causing havoc, not holding the point of attack.

oubronco
12-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Fairly is very good player, but he doesn't fit what the Broncos are attempting to do on defense line. His strength is getting up the field and causing havoc, not holding the point of attack.

Exactly what we need

snowspot66
12-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Exactly what we need

I agree. This team needs talent right now. We can figure out what to do with them afterwords.

WolfpackGuy
12-05-2010, 06:22 PM
A lot of this also depends on the coaching situation.

elsid13
12-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Exactly what we need

But he not going to do that in this scheme. What we need are guys like Paea from OSU. A super strong DT, that could be shifted over to DE and hold the point of attack and allow Ayers, Doom and other LB to get to the QB.

SonOfLe-loLang
12-05-2010, 06:24 PM
IF Luck comes out he goes #1. He is that good.

If we don't trade down, I strongly suspect that it will be either Prince Amukamara or Patrick Peterson, especial if Champ is not resigned.

It would annoy me to fortify the secondary while ignoring the D-line...again.

elsid13
12-05-2010, 06:26 PM
It would annoy me to fortify the secondary while ignoring the D-line...again.

This is deep draft in DE position, and very good number of rush OLB. This is good draft for getting young and talented quick in the front seven. Unless the FO follows in love with a player and trade the picks away.

lostknight
12-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Last thing we need is a new QB. We already have a good (but not great QB) in Orton, and a emerging Tebow, who is a fan favorite and might just carpet bomb Dove Valley if we picked up someone else. We need help at LB, DE, S, CB and TE.

orinjkrush
12-05-2010, 06:28 PM
I read somewhere, don't remember where now, that the following positions are generally taken in these rounds with good value:

1st RD: QB, RB, CB, WR, DE, DT ( NT for us here?)
2nd RD: S, CB, WR, OL, DE (DE, OL, swing T or G?)
2nd: (S?)
3rd RD: LB, RB, OL, TE, DT (ILB?)
4th RD: LB, FB, CB (none)
5th RD: OL, TE, S (none)
6th RD: FB, DT, QB (DT?)
6th: (DT?)
7th RD: DT, P (none)
UDFA: K, P, LS, FB, S, LB, OL, DE, DT (trench warriors)

SoDak Bronco
12-05-2010, 06:43 PM
But he not going to do that in this scheme. What we need are guys like Paea from OSU. A super strong DT, that could be shifted over to DE and hold the point of attack and allow Ayers, Doom and other LB to get to the QB.

Whatever, I take the best DL available, and I like what I've seen from Fairley, he is a beast. We can adjust accordingly, but you don't pass up a stud DT/DE if he is there.

GoBroncos84
12-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Here is my "Ideal Offseason" so far...

1- Bring in an experienced and proven GM. McD has too much on his plate (Parcells, Schottenheimer, somebody)

2- Re-sign Champ Bailey, Ryan Harris, Woodyard, Prater

Draft:

1- Marcell Dareus DE Alabama(Fairley another option, if we trade back we could look at Allen Bailey, Cameron Jordan, Cameron Heyward, Adrian Clayborn, etc)

2a- Jerrell Powe NT Ole Miss

2b- Deunta Williams FS North Carolina

3- ILB/RB/TE (best player available that falls)

Free Agency:

1- David Harris ILB (The Jets gave big money to Revis, Ferguson, and Mangold. They have stated that re-signing Holmes and Edwards are a priority this offseason. Cromartie also a free agent. Maybe Harris is the odd man out, so this isn't completely unrealistic. If he isn't available, Kirk Morrison is a free agent)

2- also look at receiving tight ends. Zach Miller, Owen Daniels, and Kellen Winslow Jr. are all free agents.

If we could somehow pull off this offseason, i'd be a very happy man

Popps
12-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Mays is looking more and more like starting material every week. Very impressed by him.

I'd still love to see us move DJ Williams, but I'm sure that won't happen.

Bannan looks like a solid starter. Thomas has been decent, not great. So, I think we can assume we definitely need a NT.

So, I think DE is an easy #1 pick.. as long as it makes sense where we are. I also wouldn't hate a high S pick, and NT's can usually be had in the 2nd round or so.

We should be able to make a huge jump on defense with a few solid additions this offseason.

orinjkrush
12-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Since we seem to be in "off season" mode and thinking about the upcoming draft, a little draft history refresher for us. (I only went back to 2004 since average player career is between 4-6 years.) This oughta scare ya about drafts.

Year Round Pick Overall Pick Name Position College

2010 1 22 Demaryius Thomas WR Georgia Tech
2010 1 25 Tim Tebow QB Florida
2010 2 45 Zane Beadles T Utah
2010 3 80 J.D. Walton C Baylor
2010 3 87 Eric Decker WR Minnesota
2010 5 137 Perrish Cox CB Oklahoma State
2010 6 183 Eric Olsen C Notre Dame
2010 7 225 Syd'Quan Thompson CB California
2010 7 232 Jammie Kirlew DE Indiana

2009 1 12 12 Knowshon Moreno RB Georgia
2009 1 18 18 Robert Ayers LB Tennessee
2009 2 5 37 Alphonso Smith CB Wake Forest
2009 2 16 48 Darcel McBath FS Texas Tech
2009 2 32 64 Richard Quinn TE North Carolina
2009 4 14 114 David Bruton FS Notre Dame
2009 4 32 132 Seth Olsen OG Iowa
2009 5 5 141 Kenny McKinley (RIP) WR South Carolina
2009 6 1 174 Tom Brandstater QB Fresno State
2009 7 16 225 Blake Schlueter C TCU

2008 1 12 12 Ryan Clady OT Boise State
2008 2 11 42 Eddie Royal WR Virginia Tech
2008 4 9 108 Kory Lichtensteiger C Bowling Green
2008 4 20 119 Jack Williams CB Kent State
2008 5 4 139 Ryan Torain RB Arizona State
2008 5 15 148 Carlton Powell DT Virginia Tech
2008 6 17 183 Spencer Larsen ILB Arizona
2008 7 13 220 Josh Barrett SS Arizona State
2008 7 20 227 Peyton Hillis FB Arkansas

2007 1 17 17 *Jarvis Moss DE Florida
2007 2 24 56 Tim Crowder DE Texas
2007 3 6 70 Ryan Harris OT Notre Dame
2007 4 22 121 Marcus Thomas DT Florida

2006 1 11 11 Jay Cutler QB Vanderbilt
2006 2 29 61 Tony Scheffler TE Western Michigan
2006 4 22 119 Brandon Marshall WR Central Florida
2006 4 29 126 Elvis Dumervil DE Louisville
2006 4 33 130 Domenik Hixon WR Akron
2006 5 28 161 Chris Kuper OG North Dakota
2006 6 29 198 Greg Eslinger C Minnesota

2005 2 24 56 Darrent Williams (RIP) CB Oklahoma State
2005 3 12 76 Karl Paymah CB Washington State
2005 3 34 97 Domonique Foxworth CB Maryland
2005 3 38 101 Maurice Clarett* RB Ohio State
2005 6 26 200 Chris Myers OG Miami
2005 7 25 239 Paul Ernster P Northern Arizona

2004 1 17 17 D.J. Williams OLB Miami
2004 2 9 41 Tatum Bell RB Oklahoma State
2004 2 22 54 Darius Watts WR Marshall
2004 3 22 85 Jeremy LeSueur CB Michigan
2004 5 20 152 Jeff Shoate CB San Diego State
2004 6 6 171 Triandos Luke WR Alabama
2004 6 25 190 Josh Sewell C Nebraska
2004 7 24 225 Matt Mauck QB Louisiana State
2004 7 46 247 Brandon Miree RB Pittsburgh
2004 7 49 250 Bradlee Van Pelt QB Colorado State

misturanderson
12-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Why would Luck come out this year? Isn't he a red shirt sophomore? With no CBA it seems even less likely. He seems like the type of guy that won't be in too big a hurry to get picked up by the worst team in the NFL when he could help improve an already good college team.

broncosteven
12-05-2010, 08:33 PM
If there is football next year, which seems unlikely based on the news this morning here is what I would do:

1) scour PS squads now for RB, TE talent, why wait for free agency if there is a gem they like now.

2) Try to sign Champ and Lloyd, pray neither want to leave and we get a home town bonus. I would also consider shipping Orton off in a trade for picks and elevate Tebow to starter and Quinn as #2, get a #3 off the street after the draft, if no takers on Orton then keep him around but open competition to best man wins at TC.

I would Keep Bannan and Thomas, Williams can compete at TC maybe a rook learns something off him at TC. Everyone else that is current DL is camp fodder.

3) If 1 doesn't pan out: Target RB, TE, S, maybe some OL depth depending who is available, in FA

4) Draft DT with our top 5 pick

5) then Draft S, DE, OL, DE, OL, DT (not sure how many picks we have)

6) If Cox and Squid are improved and Champ is cool with it move him to FS or at least rotate him to FS on run formations, if that is even possible.

7) We get Doom back healty, Our LB's are serviceable, Hunter and Mays should be better with a year under them and in front of a real DL that can take on blockers.

If the above fails then CiDtL all day baby!

broncosteven
12-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Since we seem to be in "off season" mode and thinking about the upcoming draft, a little draft history refresher for us. (I only went back to 2004 since average player career is between 4-6 years.) This oughta scare ya about drafts.

Year Round Pick Overall Pick Name Position College
2009 1 12 12 Knowshon Moreno RB Georgia
2009 1 18 18 Robert Ayers LB Tennessee
2009 2 5 37 Alphonso Smith CB Wake Forest
2009 2 16 48 Darcel McBath FS Texas Tech
2009 2 32 64 Richard Quinn TE North Carolina
2009 4 14 114 David Bruton FS Notre Dame
2009 4 32 132 Seth Olsen OG Iowa
2009 5 5 141 Kenny McKinley (RIP) WR South Carolina
2009 6 1 174 Tom Brandstater QB Fresno State
2009 7 16 225 Blake Schlueter C TCU

Wow, 2009 is a whole lot O fail!

Ratboy
12-05-2010, 08:44 PM
I'm glad someone brought up the Luck argument to add to the fire for the QB controversy here as well. I don't see us going that route at all, but I can see where it would make sense.

If the new coach doesn't think he can work with Tebow.. Drafting Luck would be the best thing for this franchise.

We could trade Tebow for a pick/defensive player to a team that needs a QB and a franchise savior (Bills).

broncosteven
12-05-2010, 08:46 PM
If the new coach doesn't think he can work with Tebow.. Drafting Luck would be the best thing for this franchise.

We could trade Tebow for a pick/defensive player to a team that needs a QB and a franchise savior (Bills).

Seriously what is Tebows value right now? He is a 2nd string WC QB.

RhymesayersDU
12-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Obviously, drafting a QB would be super controversial.

I do wonder, however: Can we at least agree that we probably shouldn't draft a QB unless we were able to take Luck? It seems to me like the issue isn't even about Kyle Orton or Tim Tebow per se. It's about Luck being so good and such a can't-miss guy.

It seems to me that we'd almost have to draft Luck if we were in a position to. But anybody else... We probably pass, right?

Ratboy
12-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Seriously what is Tebows value right now? He is a 2nd string WC QB.

Higher than you may think.

Franches like Buffalo and Jacksonville need that face on their franchise.

broncosteven
12-05-2010, 08:55 PM
Obviously, drafting a QB would be super controversial.

I do wonder, however: Can we at least agree that we probably shouldn't draft a QB unless we were able to take Luck? It seems to me like the issue isn't even about Kyle Orton or Tim Tebow per se. It's about Luck being so good and such a can't-miss guy.

It seems to me that we'd almost have to draft Luck if we were in a position to. But anybody else... We probably pass, right?

Screw another QB, give me the top DT, I will take the top DE if he is can't miss.

RhymesayersDU
12-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Screw another QB, give me the top DT, I will take the top DE if he is can't miss.

Well don't get me wrong, I agree. I want DLine early and often. But I do wonder about Luck, if we were to be in that position.

RhymesayersDU
12-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Higher than you may think.

Franches like Buffalo and Jacksonville need that face on their franchise.

Don't know about JVille... I mean yeah that's Tebow's backyard but they're in a position to win their division.

Soul-Bronco
12-05-2010, 09:01 PM
Tebow isnt going to get traded, way to much potential and revenue comming in. If we draft luck it will be a manning/rivers type of deal.

I think we trade down to get some extra picks and then trade back into the late 1st early 2nd round to take a bunch of impact type players.

Man if Suh would of only come out this year instead of last, kids a freakin beast

Requiem
12-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Wow, 2009 is a whole lot O fail!

Moreno is a quality starter in the NFL.

Ayers is a decent player, who hopefully can grow.

Smith is not here, but he is doing good for the Lions.

McBath has been injured, but shows good skills when he plays.

Bruton is living up to his draft status and more, being a great special teamer and reserve safety.

Quinn hasn't lived up to a second round status at all, but is still on our roster and likely will be.

One of those players is dead, I think Seth caught on somewhere else and Blake and Tom were late-round picks. Not that big of a deal.

As far as percentages and curves go league-wide, that was a decently productive draft. Time will tell (probably next year or so) on how good it was overall.

We already have several solid contributors from there (Ayers, Moreno, Bruton) with questions and possibility with Quinn and McBath. I would hardly suggest it being a fail.

This years draft looks far better, with Thomas getting some good reps as a rookie, Beadles and Walton starting, with Cox making an impact in the secondary, etc. Not nearly as horrendous as Shanahan's Draft Day Massacre's for a majority of his career.

tsiguy96
12-05-2010, 09:07 PM

Bruton is living up to his draft status and more, being a great special teamer and reserve safety.

Quinn hasn't lived up to a second round status at all, but is still on our roster and likely will be.

One of those players is dead, I think Seth caught on somewhere else and Blake and Tom were late-round picks. Not that big of a deal.

As far as percentages and curves go league-wide, that was a decently productive draft. Time will tell (probably next year or so) on how good it was overall.

We already have several solid contributors from there (Ayers, Moreno, Bruton) with questions and possibility with Quinn and McBath. I would hardly suggest it being a fail.

This years draft looks far better, with Thomas getting some good reps as a rookie, Beadles and Walton starting, with Cox making an impact in the secondary, etc. Not nearly as horrendous as Shanahan's Draft Day Massacre's for a majority of his career.

hes on and off. he gets thrown at a lot so he gets more picks, but he also lets a LOT of stuff by.

broncosteven
12-05-2010, 09:08 PM

2010 is way better, 2 players from a draft less than 2 years ago is fail, 2 player from a draft 4-5 years ago, not a big deal.

McDman
12-05-2010, 09:11 PM
It sucks to say but I don't see a bright future for this team. Basically our whole defense is old or no good. We need front seven drastically but our DBs are all over 32.

We need to make some big splashes in free agency as well as hit the draft hard and I think we've seen hiw McD has rated personel.

Requiem
12-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Of course it is a big deal, poor drafting under Shanahan and one of the worst draft pick retention rates has a definite impact on the overall talent level of our team and ability to succeed, whether it was then or now.

I am not seeing where you get "two" from 2009 though. Do you mean two starters? That would be the average for what people get for starters in the drafts, not only that, but we have two solid role players and back-up in Quinn as well. Five people still on the team, they all contribute in some fashion. Better than most.

NFLBRONCO
12-05-2010, 09:42 PM
If you only include sr's who do you see worthy of top 5 pick?

Bronco Yoda
12-05-2010, 09:47 PM
1) NT
2) DE
3) ILB
4) Safety

I defer to CBF. Can't agree more.

ro_50
12-05-2010, 09:48 PM
I believe NG or a corner would be ideal w/ the potential top 10 pick Denver will get.

A MLB and DE also will come in handy and a safety with the ability to cover gaps.

Offensively, a backup RB, O-Line depth and I would say TE but in McDouche's offense (if he comes back next year), a TE doesn't get many pass catching chances but they do need someone with the ability to stretch the field.

NFLBRONCO
12-05-2010, 09:55 PM
DE or CB with top pick. If we stay put I think BPA is way to go and IMO it might be CB. Jan 15th will be huge for Denver.

Chris
12-05-2010, 09:57 PM
We do not need another QB. What is this an eagles board?

KevinJames
12-05-2010, 10:25 PM
If we keep our pick. (I think based on now its #5 overall)
Its all going to come down to value, and we won't know a lot of it for sure until early next year when evaluations begin.

1st round -
Nick Fairley, DT Auburn - could be a great DE but also may be able to work the NT and be disruptive in a 3-4 if were looking for a more versatile DL we should look here, some people think he can't play the nose I disagree. A bit of an attitude problem.
Marcell Dareus, DT Alabama - could be a great DE in the 3-4, may be a better fit as a 4-3 DT.
Patrick Peterson, DB LSU - Outstanding athlete great build for a DB at 6-1 220 some call him a shut down corner some call him the best DB in college football. Hes a play maker could play either CB or S some scouts thinks he projects better at Safety since hes so physical and tackles so well.
Prince Amukamara, DB Nebraska - I said some people consider PP the best DB well others consider this guy the best, you can't go wrong with either guy, I feel Peterson is more of a playmaker but both are great.

Picking one of these 2 DL will be a huge risk no doubt about it a lot of upside but more boom or bust on both player IMO for a top 5 pick. I think picking one of the DBs who both look to be a sure thing in the NFL is a safer pick but less of a need. We need to decide whats the best option obviously the Champ situation would play a huge part in this but either way I could see us drafting one of the DBs.

after the first round we need to hope one of the top NTs fall to us which is possible I think we could grab Jerrell Powe NT out of Mississippi but we would be very lucky if Stephen Paea DT from Oregon St fell to our first 2nd round pick either way I think staying at this spot nets us a solid NT. Also possible for a 3-4 DE like Allen Bailey to slip to this spot. Don't forget we also get another 2nd round pick this year at the Dolphins draft spot.

this is very deep draft and with the spots we have we should pick up some major building blocks for our future, I am excited for April. :thumbs:

mattob14
12-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Yeah, I think safety is up there as well. I just think that the talent available for the front seven would allow for better choices in that regard as opposed to over drafting a safety early in a weak class for the position. Thanks for the comments guys, keep 'em coming.

I know it kind of sucks rooting to lose for a better pick, but we need all the help we can get. We haven't been looking at picks this high (originally for us without moving) in decades, so hopefully we can make the most of it. I really hope that someone puts the foot down and tells us to take the safe picks (if there is such a thing) as opposed to some of the obtuse gambling and questionable decisions (value and player) made over the past two years.

(Keep in mind, I actually liked a lot of our selections, but some of them WTF.)

Looking at the value in this year's class, I'd put CB up there as well. There should be some really solid players in the 2nd round. I'd be happy with doubling up on the d-line, plus adding, say, Jimmy Smith with those first three picks.

uplink
12-05-2010, 10:41 PM

an elite Qb is so important in the NFL, any team without one should be looking for one as priority number 1.

Hercules Rockefeller
12-05-2010, 10:45 PM
2010 is way better, 2 players from a draft less than 2 years ago is fail, 2 player from a draft 4-5 years ago, not a big deal.

Uhhhhh, yeah that is a major fail. The total lack of depth on this team over the past few seasons is because this team has drafted so poorly overall from '02-'05.

Those 4 drafts should still be a decent chunk of this team, and DJ is the only player from those drafts.

RhymesayersDU
12-05-2010, 10:47 PM

See, I actually agree with you. But if Luck is all he is billed to be, don't you have to make that move if the opportunity presents itself?

I'm not sure either way, but it's an interesting dilemma.

ro_50
If we keep our pick. (I think based on now its #5 overall)
Its all going to come down to value, and we won't know a lot of it for sure until early next year when evaluations begin.

1st round -
Nick Fairley, DT Auburn - could be a great DE but also may be able to work the NT and be disruptive in a 3-4 if were looking for a more versatile DL we should look here, some people think he can't play the nose I disagree. A bit of an attitude problem.
Marcell Dareus, DT Alabama - could be a great DE in the 3-4, may be a better fit as a 4-3 DT.
Patrick Peterson, DB LSU - Outstanding athlete great build for a DB at 6-1 220 some call him a shut down corner some call him the best DB in college football. Hes a play maker could play either CB or S some scouts thinks he projects better at Safety since hes so physical and tackles so well.
Prince Amukamara, DB Nebraska - I said some people consider PP the best DB well others consider this guy the best, you can't go wrong with either guy, I feel Peterson is more of a playmaker but both are great.

Picking one of these 2 DL will be a huge risk no doubt about it a lot of upside but more boom or bust on both player IMO for a top 5 pick. I think picking one of the DBs who both look to be a sure thing in the NFL is a safer pick but less of a need. We need to decide whats the best option obviously the Champ situation would play a huge part in this but either way I could see us drafting one of the DBs.

after the first round we need to hope one of the top NTs fall to us which is possible I think we could grab Jerrell Powe NT out of Mississippi but we would be very lucky if Stephen Paea DT from Oregon St fell to our first 2nd round pick either way I think staying at this spot nets us a solid NT. Also possible for a 3-4 DE like Allen Bailey to slip to this spot. Don't forget we also get another 2nd round pick this year at the Dolphins draft spot.

this is very deep draft and with the spots we have we should pick up some major building blocks for our future, I am excited for April. :thumbs:

I'm a lifelong Auburn fan and seen every snap Nick Fairley has played and his attitude problems are behind him. Tracy Rocker has done a great job of molding him into an Auburn man.

Fairley is a better fit in a 4-3 but can play end on a 3-4. He played some 3-4 in high school.

zdoor
Of course it is a big deal, poor drafting under Shanahan and one of the worst draft pick retention rates has a definite impact on the overall talent level of our team and ability to succeed, whether it was then or now.

I am not seeing where you get "two" from 2009 though. Do you mean two starters? That would be the average for what people get for starters in the drafts, not only that, but we have two solid role players and back-up in Quinn as well. Five people still on the team, they all contribute in some fashion. Better than most.

It would be average if we didn't have so many extra picks... Unfotunately it's below average considering the haul we had

zdoor
12-05-2010, 10:48 PM
I 'm hoping for front 7

cutthemdown
12-05-2010, 11:40 PM
I'm a lifelong Auburn fan and seen every snap Nick Fairley has played and his attitude problems are behind him. Tracy Rocker has done a great job of molding him into an Auburn man.

Fairley is a better fit in a 4-3 but can play end on a 3-4. He played some 3-4 in high school.

There is no reason for the Broncos to be sold on the 3-4. Especially if Mcdaniels gets canned.

DJ= 4-3 WLB doesn't fit 3-4 at all.
Doom- could play a freeny type DE spot in a 4-3

So really we have no 3-4 specialists on the roster worth keeping.

draft Fairley or Dareus in the 1st round.

The Joker
12-06-2010, 03:28 AM
Posted this in another thread, guess it probably fits better here.

-----------------------

My guess at present would be Marcel Dareus, Patrick Peterson or Prince Amukamara.

Dareus looks to me like a guy who could be one of the elite players in the league one day. He's got a mix of size, speed, power and agility that doesn't come along very often. He'd be a monster at DE for us and also a guy who we could move inside on passing downs and generate some push up the middle.

If he's there you don't think twice about putting the pick in IMO.

If not, then who knows. If the staff feels that one of the other D-Line prospects is an absolute gem of a prospect then of course you take him. But nobody has really stepped up and solidified themselves as a lock Top 10 pick other than Dareus as far as 3-4 D-Line players go. Peterson and Prince meanwhile look like absolutely amazing prospects, Peterson especially IMO.

With prospects like Adrian Clayborn, Cameron Jordan, Allen Bailey, Nick Fairley, Cameron Heyward and several others, there still should be some very nice prospects at 3-4 DE available with our early second round pick if we don't feel any of them are worth our first rounder.

It's not as simple as saying "D-Line is our biggest weakness, therefore spend our first round pick there".

We do need to spend 2 of our first 4 picks on the D-Line or I'm going to murder everyone in the world though.

Ratboy
12-06-2010, 03:49 AM
Here is something we don't do often..

BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE>

Ratboy
12-06-2010, 03:52 AM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RF9PFJI_t5I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RF9PFJI_t5I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Draft Andrew Luck and he can play Safety for us too!!

fontaine
12-06-2010, 06:00 AM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RF9PFJI_t5I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RF9PFJI_t5I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Draft Andrew Luck and he can play Safety for us too!!

That would be a personal foul, leading with the helmet and a $25K fine from Goodell in the nfl!!

Ha!

fontaine
12-06-2010, 06:04 AM
Here is my "Ideal Offseason" so far...

1- Bring in an experienced and proven GM. McD has too much on his plate (Parcells, Schottenheimer, somebody)

2- Re-sign Champ Bailey, Ryan Harris, Woodyard, Prater

Draft:

1- Marcell Dareus DE Alabama(Fairley another option, if we trade back we could look at Allen Bailey, Cameron Jordan, Cameron Heyward, Adrian Clayborn, etc)

2a- Jerrell Powe NT Ole Miss

2b- Deunta Williams FS North Carolina

3- ILB/RB/TE (best player available that falls)

Free Agency:

1- David Harris ILB (The Jets gave big money to Revis, Ferguson, and Mangold. They have stated that re-signing Holmes and Edwards are a priority this offseason. Cromartie also a free agent. Maybe Harris is the odd man out, so this isn't completely unrealistic. If he isn't available, Kirk Morrison is a free agent)

2- also look at receiving tight ends. Zach Miller, Owen Daniels, and Kellen Winslow Jr. are all free agents.

If we could somehow pull off this offseason, i'd be a very happy man

I would add to the FA list:

Sign Kamerion Wimbley.

dsmoot
12-06-2010, 06:17 AM
It sucks to say but I don't see a bright future for this team. Basically our whole defense is old or no good. We need front seven drastically but our DBs are all over 32.

We need to make some big splashes in free agency as well as hit the draft hard and I think we've seen hiw McD has rated personel.

When you look at defensive names and think who currently on the team could be playing at a high level and be part of a breakout defensive team in two years ... Dumervil, Ayers and Champ (maybe). The names quit there for me. Everyone else is transitional, maxed out where they are now or will be declining in skills. This is not encouraging. Others with potential but still uncertain ... Cox, Thompson, McBath, Mays. Ones who we have seen the best already and for how much longer ... DJ, Hill, Goodman, Haggan, Hunter, Bannon, Thomas, Vickerson. This is a quick, rough analysis but I don't think I am very far off. Defensive and free agency and drafting is so critical in the next two years.

ColoradoDarin
12-06-2010, 06:37 AM
Mays is looking more and more like starting material every week. Very impressed by him.

I'd still love to see us move DJ Williams, but I'm sure that won't happen.

Bannan looks like a solid starter. Thomas has been decent, not great. So, I think we can assume we definitely need a NT.

So, I think DE is an easy #1 pick.. as long as it makes sense where we are. I also wouldn't hate a high S pick, and NT's can usually be had in the 2nd round or so.

We should be able to make a huge jump on defense with a few solid additions this offseason.

I don't know who's been on the Trade DJ train longer, me or Popps. DJ's played better this year (hey 2 years at the same position might have something to do with that I admit), but it was so annoying to see him not shed any blockers yesterday.

TheChamp24
12-06-2010, 07:13 AM
My instinctive feeling is that Luck and a lot of underclassman won't declare due to the potential lockout, which seems more likely now.

long beach bronco
12-06-2010, 07:22 AM
I would love a great defensive player to be drafted, maybe 2 or 3, but if we are in a position to draft Luck, it becomes a no-brainer situation. This guy is John Elway Jr.

misturanderson
12-06-2010, 09:47 AM
I would love a great defensive player to be drafted, maybe 2 or 3, but if we are in a position to draft Luck, it becomes a no-brainer situation. This guy is John Elway Jr.

This whole argument is a completely moot point and one that I don't understand why people keep repeating in this thread.

Not only are we not picking #1 overall, and therefore not in ANY position to draft Luck if he did come out, but there seems to be no way in hell that he would come out at this point.

To even have a chance at him from #5 or 6 where we are likely to end up, if he comes out, we would need to make our entire draft into probably 3 1st round picks and trade all of them for #1 overall. We would probably end up mortgaging the 2012 draft to some extent as well.

It's just a complete pipe dream. No team other than Detroit (maybe) is going to give up a chance at the guy.

broncosteven
12-06-2010, 09:57 AM
This whole argument is a completely moot point and one that I don't understand why people keep repeating in this thread.

Not only are we not picking #1 overall, and therefore not in ANY position to draft Luck if he did come out, but there seems to be no way in hell that he would come out at this point.

To even have a chance at him from #5 or 6 where we are likely to end up, if he comes out, we would need to make our entire draft into probably 3 1st round picks and trade all of them for #1 overall. We would probably end up mortgaging the 2012 draft to some extent as well.

It's just a complete pipe dream. No team other than Detroit (maybe) is going to give up a chance at the guy.

There are 4 games left, a lot of things can happen between now and then, I think Carolina stays as the #1 pick but there is only 1 game between us and the rest, if we win at AZ then we might pick in the 4-8 range and then a top 2 pick would be lost.

I just want to see some improvement, maybe the D plays like it did today the rest of the year or KM turns into a 30 carry workhorse that would be something, rooting to lose is like paying for sex.

Rohirrim
12-06-2010, 10:44 AM
Luck would be my number one favorite pick. Second, would be Paea (DT, Oregon State). I like Clayborn, but can he play DE? Or is he more an OLB in the NFL? Cameron Jordan might be the better choice at DE. He's a durable two gapper whose father was a pro-bowler for the Vikes.

TheChamp24
12-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Luck would be my number one favorite pick. Second, would be Paea (DT, Oregon State). I like Clayborn, but can he play DE? Or is he more an OLB in the NFL? Cameron Jordan might be the better choice at DE. He's a durable two gapper whose father was a pro-bowler for the Vikes.

Clayborn is 6'4", 285 pounds. He isn't an OLB, I never heard anyone mention him as a possible OLB in the NFL.

NFLBRONCO
12-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Watch we'll get a high pick for 1st time in 20 yrs and most of the top jr's stay in school.

cutthemdown
12-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Watch we'll get a high pick for 1st time in 20 yrs and most of the top jr's stay in school.

Don't worry Broncos will probably get another high pick the following year. This mess will take a couple years to clean up yet.

snowspot66
12-06-2010, 11:55 AM
Don't worry Broncos will probably get another high pick the following year. This mess will take a couple years to clean up yet.

We won't even have to play a game to get it either. Colts and Patriots fans must be mad though. Brady and Manning aren't getting any younger. I'd be pissed if we had a talented team but since we suck I'm fine with a lockout.

Rohirrim
12-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Clayborn is 6'4", 285 pounds. He isn't an OLB, I never heard anyone mention him as a possible OLB in the NFL.

It will be interesting to see what his weight is at the combine.

Requiem
12-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Clayborn is going to weigh over 280 at the combine. He will not be making the shift to OLB. Why would he even want to?

Rohirrim
12-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Clayborn is going to weigh over 280 at the combine. He will not be making the shift to OLB. Why would he even want to?

Geez, can't even make a mild conjecture around here anymore. Every position must be defended to the death. Ha!

Anyway, is Clayborn a 3/4 DE? I don't think so. IMO, Cameron Jordan fits the bill better. I really like Clayborn. I've watched a few Iowa games this year. He plays with great intensity. Very disruptive. I was just trying to figure out how he would fit into the Broncos plans. He doesn't strike me as a two gap run plugger type. Seems to me he would fit better as a 4/3 DE.

Requiem
12-06-2010, 12:13 PM
He has the skills to play in either scheme, but he is better for the 4-3.

And yes, Cameron Jordan would be be a better fit for us in the 3-4. He has been one of my favorite players the past two years. Simply incredible. He will be the surprise pick of the draft (as far as how high he goes) like his Aluala was last year.

bendog
12-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Geez, can't even make a mild conjecture around here anymore. Every position must be defended to the death. Ha!

Anyway, is Clayborn a 3/4 DE? I don't think so. IMO, Cameron Jordan fits the bill better. I really like Clayborn. I've watched a few Iowa games this year. He plays with great intensity. Very disruptive. I was just trying to figure out how he would fit into the Broncos plans. He doesn't strike me as a two gap run plugger type. Seems to me he would fit better as a 4/3 DE.

What sucks is that the three top defensive guys who are seniors likely to be at five all seem better in the 4-3. I assume Paea will be gone.