PDA

View Full Version : Why the F did we abandon the RUN?!!!!!

mr007
12-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Unreal - the refs are gay but are you effing kidding me on abandoning the run???????? WTF!!!!!!!!!!! Epic fail on play calling. Unreal.

jmz313
12-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Its what Coach does, did it last week, did it the week before too.

Champagne Powder
12-05-2010, 02:39 PM
This is where Denver lost this game.

The last 10 plays were passes when it was painfully obvious the Chiefs were stopping it.

Dr. Broncenstein
12-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Because some a-hole showed Joshie the queen of diamonds again.

thecool
12-05-2010, 02:41 PM
This is where Denver lost this game. Abandoning the run.

I think the last 9-10 plays were passes when it was painfully obvious the Chiefs were stopping it.

Right. It has nothing to do with how Orton played the WHOLE game or how the refs blew the call.

Watch the play where the refs blew the call and watch how much open field Moreno had since he burnt Johnson.

BossChief
12-05-2010, 02:42 PM
I thought the same thing, TBH

You guys were running the ball far more effectively than you were passing it. Not sure what wonderboy was thinking

go_broncos
12-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Right. It has nothing to do with how Orton played the WHOLE game or how the refs blew the call.

Watch the play where the refs blew the call and watch how much open field Moreno had since he burnt Johnson.

you are pathetic...Keep supporting the dumb coach.

Gort
12-05-2010, 02:46 PM
I thought the same thing, TBH

You guys were running the ball far more effectively than you were passing it. Not sure what wonderboy was thinking

it's simple.

McD is our Herm Edwards.

Doggcow
12-05-2010, 02:49 PM
We've done it the last 3 games in a row when we were running the ball well.

Champagne Powder
12-05-2010, 02:49 PM

Some days the pass isn't going to be there so you have to adjust accordingly to what the defense gives you and take advantage of it.

There was no reason to not run the ball once in the last 10 plays. Inexcusable.

NYBronco
12-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Its obviously unfortunate the Broncos lost in KC today but all things considered the division leading chiefs at home really sucked. Only winning by a 10 to 6 margin and dominating the TOP. Bowe was a major non factor and Denvers defense shut this over rated team down.

BossChief
12-05-2010, 02:55 PM
If Herm were your coach, he would have "overran" and gotten 250 on the ground...and Moreno would be worn out in 3 years.

RunSilentRunDeep
12-05-2010, 02:57 PM
How can it not be obvious to everyone Orton changed the play at the LOS a ton of times? We have no idea what the original play calls were.

Rohirrim
12-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Maybe Moreno told Orton he was out of gas? We don't know. STFU dimwits.

Taco John
12-05-2010, 02:59 PM

That would be a tradgedy if true.

thecool
12-05-2010, 03:00 PM
you are pathetic...Keep supporting the dumb coach.

This has nothing to do with the coach.

I look @ the players on the field and look at the opportunities they've been given. When you're put in a position to win the game and the players fail to execute, sometimes you have to blame the players.

And considering how bad Orton plays today and how many point blank throws he missed, it's hard to sit here and blame the coach.

BossChief
12-05-2010, 03:08 PM

sorry, but thats just dumb.

It wasnt all Moreno, your line was winning that battle and Josh couldnt see it evidently.

When you are averaging 7 yards per rush and you only call a rushing play 42% of the time, that is just bad coaching.

Not other way to explain that.

If you cant see that, you dont know what you are watching.

Popps
12-05-2010, 03:17 PM
We didn't abandon the run THIS week... we definitely did last week.

Rohirrim
12-05-2010, 03:18 PM
sorry, but thats just dumb.

It wasnt all Moreno, your line was winning that battle and Josh couldnt see it evidently.

When you are averaging 7 yards per rush and you only call a rushing play 42% of the time, that is just bad coaching.

Not other way to explain that.

Go **** yourself, dimwit.

Popps
12-05-2010, 03:19 PM

He rushed for 160 yards.

Orton led the league in passing coming into the game.

Not taking advantage of what the running game was opening up would have been "bad coaching.

Orton just had a bad day. Plain and simple.

mr007
12-05-2010, 03:19 PM
How is it hard to blame the coach? Orton was off all game and the running game was working. Did he think Orton was gonna catch fire the last 5 minutes??? The majority of the blame goes to McD for the atrocious calls - not sure how you can see it any other way.

lostknight
12-05-2010, 03:20 PM

Again with the name-calling.Why is that always your reaction when people present you with facts you don't like?

Moreno competed and rocked today. Kyle didn't. If Moreno was out of gad, we had Ball on the sidelines.

Rohirrim
12-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Again with the name-calling.Why is that always your reaction when people present you with facts you don't like?

Moreno competed and rocked today. Kyle didn't. If Moreno was out of gad, we had Ball on the sidelines.

What facts? Some people don't know the difference between assumptions and facts, obviously. The fact is that nobody on this board knows why the running plays stopped being called. Sure, I found it a mystery. But I didn't immediately jump to some assumption as to who's fault that was like so many on this board that have some ulterior axe to grind. Did Josh stop it? Did Orton stop it? Was there some other reason? Nobody on this ****ing board knows. That's the only "fact." Maybe we'll find out tomorrow. ???

mr007

Ohh really????? You're right man - 10:57 left in the game being our last running play does not equal abandoning run. Wish I had your glasses on.

# 3-5-KC 48 (10:57) (Shotgun) 27-K.Moreno up the middle to KC 24 for 24 yards (35-R.Price; 47-J.McGraw).
# 1-10-KC 24 (10:13) (Shotgun) 8-K.Orton pass incomplete short right to 19-E.Royal (96-A.Studebaker).
# 2-10-KC 24 (10:09) (Run formation) PENALTY on DEN-8-K.Orton, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at KC 24 - No Play.
# 2-15-KC 29 (10:07) (Shotgun) 8-K.Orton sacked at KC 37 for -8 yards (91-T.Hali). FUMBLES (91-T.Hali), RECOVERED by KC-91-T.Hali at KC 37. 91-T.Hali to KC 37 for no gain (89-D.Graham). WATCH HIGHLIGHT
# Kansas City Chiefs at 09:58
# 1-10-DEN 34 (8:08) (Shotgun) 8-K.Orton pass incomplete short left to 84-B.Lloyd.
# 2-10-DEN 34 (8:04) (Shotgun) 8-K.Orton pass incomplete short left to 27-K.Moreno. Penalty on DEN-19-E.Royal, Illegal Formation, declined.
# 3-10-DEN 34 (7:59) (Shotgun) 8-K.Orton pass incomplete deep left to 84-B.Lloyd (39-B.Carr)
# 1-10-DEN 15 (3:56) (Shotgun) 8-K.Orton pass deep right to 84-B.Lloyd
# 1-10-DEN 33 (3:50) (Shotgun) 8-K.Orton pass incomplete short right to
# 2-10-DEN 33 (3:45) (Shotgun) 8-K.Orton sacked at DEN 25 for -8 yards
# 3-18-DEN 25 (3:14) (Shotgun) 8-K.Orton pass short middle to 27-K.Moreno to DEN 39 for 14 yards (47-J.McGraw).
# Denver Broncos at 00:00
# 1-10-DEN 8 (:00) 8-K.Orton pass incomplete deep right to 19-E.Royal.

frerottenextelway

Yes we did. We were running at will and just stopped cold.

mr007
12-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Yes we did. We were running at will and just stopped cold.

Don't try to argue with Popps with something like facts - he'll just abandon the thread once he's proven wrong.

Popps
12-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Ohh really????? As you probably won't read this I'll sum it up for you - our last run was at 10:57 in the 4th quarter. Keep saying stupid **** like that.

We abandoned the run in the 2nd quarter last week, genius.

With less than 10 minutes left and 160 yards rushing... we went to the pass to get back in the game.

Could we have run a couple more times? Sure.

Did we "abandon" the run? No.

Again, see last week for that definition.

Popps
12-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Don't try to argue with Popps with something like facts - he'll just abandon the thread once he's proven wrong.

Dude, I don't even know who you are. I've never heard of you.

You want an autographed picture or something?

mr007
12-05-2010, 03:31 PM

With less than 10 minutes left and 160 yards rushing... we went to the pass to get back in the game.

If you don't think your last running play, when your RUSHING OFFENSE IS ACTUALLY THE ONLY THING PRODUCING AND GETTING YARDS, comes at 10:57 in the 4th Quarter, especially when you're down by only 4 points - then you sir are retarded.

I am not comparing this week to last week - I give a **** less about last week. This was epic fail of play calling and abandoning the run, period. Don't try to call it something else - genius.

Steve Sewell
12-05-2010, 03:32 PM
I have been a staunch supporter of McD for most of this season, but the playcalling for the last two drives is really indefensible. I don't know how people can argue otherwise, unless they are just trolling or completely delusional.

mr007
12-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Dude, I don't even know who you are. I've never heard of you.

You want an autographed picture or something?

It's a message board buddy - get over yourself.

BossChief
12-05-2010, 03:38 PM

you are wrong

You were abusing our run defense for the majority of the game and would have probably won if you didnt have a coach that wanted to pass you into the lead

your pass game averaged 2.7 yards per play today

Your run game averaged 7 per play

You called a run play on 42% of the plays called and finished the game with like 7 or 8 straight pass calls.

YOU ABANDONED THE RUN

pure and simple

We have had a few injuries in the secondary and therefore were pretty thin on the DL and should have been able to have your way on running plays and play action to close that game out.

Champagne Powder
12-05-2010, 03:40 PM
I have been a staunch supporter of McD for most of this season, but the playcalling for the last two drives is really indefensible. I don't know how people can argue otherwise, unless they are just trolling or completely delusional.

I feel the same way. I rarely criticize play calling. I have given McDaniels the benefit of the doubt with the offense this year, but the 4th quarter play calling really bothered me.

Pick Six
12-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Orton was DETERMINED to get the ball to Lloyd, even at the expense of near interceptions. Moreno was torching the middle of the Chiefs defense, and we abandoned the run when we needed it. Absolute embarass...

Spider
12-05-2010, 05:27 PM
it's simple.

McD is our Herm Edwards.
truer words have not been spoken here

broncosteven
12-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Unreal - the refs are gay but are you effing kidding me on abandoning the run???????? WTF!!!!!!!!!!! Epic fail on play calling. Unreal.

CiDtL trumps rushing stats.

broncosteven
12-05-2010, 05:34 PM

Ummm yes we did, the last 9 plays were all desperate attempts to CiDtL even with 4+ minutes to go in the game and nice long drive for a TD would have stole the game away from KFC.

Good teams control the LOS and pound the ball to shorten the game and demoralize the opponet and break their will. Teams are designed to win this way. The only will's being broken now are Bronco fan's will's.

go_broncos
12-05-2010, 05:36 PM

well..you were doing same thing couple of weeks back supporting Mcd in whatever he does.

Popps is like that..He doesn't have his own opinion..he supports whatever bronco coach does.
If Mcd says that Tebow should start, he will agree with him.
If Mcd gets fired after this season, he will say Mcd sucks and will start supporting the new coach.

Requiem
12-05-2010, 05:46 PM
I've defended Josh all year on the boards, but with 8 minutes to go -- our defense stopping drives (though being tired) we had the chance to run it down their throats and let us get play with ball control. Runs were working all game, and we abandoned it. We were down 4 points?

Run on first down and get the yards you can so third down is manageable. There is no way in Hell with the way Orton was playing today (kudos to the Chiefs secondary) that we were going to operate any third and long situation successfully. Hell, that has been an Achilles of us all season.

Over the past two years you have all got to see what happens when the game is on the line and it is up to Orton to make plays. He comes up blank. I don't care if he has 4,500+ yards this year. Most quarterbacks in the NFL can go from the 20 to 20. A good quarterback puts points on the boards and converts third downs. This asslicker does neither.

Orton blows and cost us the game big time with is poor execution.

WolfpackGuy
12-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Because it was working.

Part of our soon to be former coach's problem is he outthinks himself.

go_broncos
12-05-2010, 05:55 PM

That's the reason i don't like his playcalling.
He abandons the running game and likes to pass all the time.
He doesn't involve TE's in passing game.

He is a failure..

cabronco
12-05-2010, 06:13 PM
McD acknowledged the Broncos were running the ball well on his post game pressor, "but ultimately at some point you got to throw the ball". He's a pass happy coach, thats his forte, so thats how he wants to win games, even if it hasnt worked most the game.

Clockwork Orange
12-05-2010, 06:16 PM
McD acknowledged the Broncos were running the ball well on his post game pressor, "but ultimately at some point you got to throw the ball". He's a pass happy coach, thats his forte, so thats how he wants to win games, even if it hasnt worked most the game.

Please tell me he didn't actually say that.

Dr. Broncenstein
12-05-2010, 06:17 PM

Oh holy balls. Please tell me he didn't say that.

broncogary
12-05-2010, 06:20 PM

You'll never be a minion if you keep this up. :~ohyah!:

Champagne Powder
12-05-2010, 06:34 PM

I can't wait to hear Popps spin this into his PR slant. Jim Saccomanno should hire him.

cabronco
12-05-2010, 07:01 PM

Its on DB.com post game report about 2;50 mark. He talks in how obviously the Chiefs game planned to take the passing game away, which they did a good job, but gave Knowshon and O-line opportunities to run the ball, then he remarks ult. you have to pass the ball.

Soul-Bronco
12-05-2010, 07:11 PM
although knowshon converted on of our only 3rd downs, yea you gotta throw it. . . . . . . this is what dims the light on Mcd, its like he doesnt learn how to adjust, if thier taking the passing game away RUN THE FUGGIN BALL

ant1999e
12-05-2010, 07:12 PM
He rushed for 160 yards.

Not taking advantage of what the running game was opening up would have been "bad coaching.

Understatement of the year.

Popps
12-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Ummm yes we did, the last 9 plays were all desperate attempts to CiDtL even with 4+ minutes to go in the game and nice long drive for a TD would have stole the game away from KFC.

We're quibbling over terms, here.

To me, abandoning the run is something that happens early in the game, like last week. Not racking up 160 yards on the ground, and then passing for a series or two.

Maybe we're just defining it differently.

Yes, I would have liked to see us run the ball a couple times later in the 4th, but I also would have liked to see Orton and the WR's execute like they normally do. Like they did the prior week to bring us back from 20+ points down.

Hey, I was the leading the charge against the play-calling last weekend. I talked about it repeatedly. I just didn't have nearly as much problem with it today. Orton had a chance to execute a few passes to move us down the field and for whatever reason, he just couldn't do it.

Should we have run a couple more times late? Sure? But, I think what McDaniels was saying at the press conference is... at some point in a drive, you WILL need to complete a pass to win a game. Kyle just seemed incapable of doing that down the stretch, which was pretty shocking considering his passing stats this season.

Popps
12-05-2010, 07:19 PM

So, "Best Wishes, mr007"... is that cool? I'll have my people get it right out to you.

broncosteven
12-05-2010, 07:22 PM
We're quibbling over terms, here.

To me, abandoning the run is something that happens early in the game, like last week. Not racking up 160 yards on the ground, and then passing for a series or two.

Maybe we're just defining it differently.

Yes, I would have liked to see us run the ball a couple times later in the 4th, but I also would have liked to see Orton and the WR's execute like they normally do. Like they did the prior week to bring us back from 20+ points down.

Hey, I was the leading the charge against the play-calling last weekend. I talked about it repeatedly. I just didn't have nearly as much problem with it today. Orton had a chance to execute a few passes to move us down the field and for whatever reason, he just couldn't do it.

Should we have run a couple more times late? Sure? But, I think what McDaniels was saying at the press conference is... at some point in a drive, you WILL need to complete a pass to win a game. Kyle just seemed incapable of doing that down the stretch, which was pretty shocking considering his passing stats this season.

If you listen to mCd's presser he was fully aware that KFC was doing everything it could to take away Lloyd and the passing game and gave us the ground game and yet mCd still thought at some point CiDtL would work.

With 4 minutes to go in a close game you eat clock drive down and have faith that you can get that last TD to take the win as time expires. You only see dudes Chucking it deep like that on Madden.

~Crash~
12-05-2010, 07:35 PM
He rushed for 160 yards.

...So popps tell us all what QB did have a good day or WR for that matter .:thanku:

Popps
12-05-2010, 07:37 PM
If you listen to mCd's presser he was fully aware that KFC was doing everything it could to take away Lloyd and the passing game and gave us the ground game and yet mCd still thought at some point CiDtL would work.

With 4 minutes to go in a close game you eat clock drive down and have faith that you can get that last TD to take the win as time expires. You only see dudes Chucking it deep like that on Madden.

It wasn't even chucking it deep, though. Those were routine routes... and even if they take away Lloyd, you've got to be able to connect on a throw or two late in a game. All week people said they wanted Kyle to be able to throw the ball in crunch time. He got the chance this week and failed.

Again, I would have been fine running a couple more times, late... but it still would have come down to complete a few passes.

So, we can blame the play-calling... that's fine. I just thought Orton was more responsible for the problems. I thought the play-calling kept us in the game and gave us a chance to win. Last week, I thought it was awful.

Popps
12-05-2010, 07:40 PM
...So popps tell us all what QB did have a good day or WR for that matter .:thanku:

Yea, if they play enough games... it was bound to happen.

Even a blind pig roosts up a truffle.

Clockwork Orange
12-05-2010, 07:47 PM
So, McDaniels admits they were giving the Broncos the run. The run game was highly successful. He admits that they were taking away the pass. The passing game was largely unsuccessful. McDaniels' somehow arrives at the conclusion that the Broncos "have to throw the ball." Yeah, I think I'm gonna go ahead and put this one on him.

Orton didn't just struggle down the stretch, he was bad for pretty much the entire game. Yet, in a 4 point game, he decided to go exclusively to a passing game that hadn't worked all day during the most critical phase of it. That's bad coaching any way you slice it. Either that or an act of coaching stubbornness/arrogance the likes of which would make Mike Martz proud.

WolfpackGuy
12-05-2010, 07:51 PM
He apparently didn't learn anything from the lesson his cheating mentor gave to Mike Martz in Super Bowl 36.

Can't wait until this reign of error is over in a few weeks.

Dr. Broncenstein
12-05-2010, 08:05 PM
So, McDaniels admits they were giving the Broncos the run. The run game was highly successful. He admits that they were taking away the pass. The passing game was largely unsuccessful. McDaniels' somehow arrives at the conclusion that the Broncos "have to throw the ball." Yeah, I think I'm gonna go ahead and put this one on him.

Orton didn't just struggle down the stretch, he was bad for pretty much the entire game. Yet, in a 4 point game, he decided to go exclusively to a passing game that hadn't worked all day during the most critical phase of it. That's bad coaching any way you slice it. Either that or an act of coaching stubbornness/arrogance the likes of which would make Mike Martz proud.

This is our concern, dude.

broncosteven
12-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Yea, if they play enough games... it was bound to happen.

Even a blind pig roosts up a truffle.

What does this have to do with KM?

LOL

Just joking

mr007
12-05-2010, 08:37 PM
... at some point in a drive, you WILL need to complete a pass to win a game. Kyle just seemed incapable of doing that down the stretch, which was pretty shocking considering his passing stats this season.

Ummm down the stretch meaning the whole game?

And I'm pretty sure you can score without having a single reception - so there is no WILL need to complete a pass to win the game. You don't need to complete a single pass actually.

Lev Vyvanse
12-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Oh holy balls. Please tell me he didn't say that.

I just watched the video and that was a direct quote. We need to flush this turd.

Taco John
12-05-2010, 09:03 PM

wow. I thought "Adjustments are overrated" was bad, but this is pretty horrendous. So much for the line that Orton checked out of runs so that he could pass the ball.

broncosteven
12-05-2010, 09:06 PM
wow. I thought "Adjustments are overrated" was bad, but this is pretty horrendous. So much for the line that Orton checked out of runs so that he could pass the ball.

Adjustments are overrated is worse, he knew that KFC was selling out to take away the pass but he kept CiDtL anyway.

Spider
12-05-2010, 09:08 PM

yeah , well same ole same , people blame the quarterback , yet they dont have the first clue as to what coverage is used or why there was no real separation, bit we are supposed t obe nice to these **** sticks , pretend they have a point , and not callem the short bus brigade ......... A nice kinder more gentle mane

Dr. Broncenstein
12-05-2010, 09:35 PM
I just watched the video and that was a direct quote. We need to flush this turd.

http://item.slide.com/r/1/29/i/ALt4udHvzj8XXyHOOO2v91SKzf_pVmzk/

Taco John
12-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Adjustments are overrated is worse, he knew that KFC was selling out to take away the pass but he kept CiDtL anyway.

CiDtL

I'm usually very good with acronyms, but this one is a head scratcher for me.

Gutless Drunk
12-05-2010, 09:59 PM
chuck it deep to Lloyd?

go_broncos
12-05-2010, 10:00 PM
CiDtL

I'm usually very good with acronyms, but this one is a head scratcher for me.

chuck it deep to Llyod..I think

Taco John
12-05-2010, 10:04 PM
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/8504/insanitye.jpg

broncocalijohn
12-05-2010, 10:04 PM
Its what Coach does, did it last week, did it the week before too.

consistency! At least he waited until the 4th quarter to do it this time. Im more pissed that we didnt go for it with 3:06 left and 4th and 4. You dont make it, you can still stop KC to a field goal and you still have to score 7 and not 3. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Taco John
12-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Oh that makes sense. In Josh's defense, this is the same strategy I use when I'm playing Madden, so I can relate.

Steve Sewell
12-05-2010, 10:08 PM
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/8504/insanitye.jpg

This.

The playcalling at the end of the game was Dan Hawkins-esque. Not completely retarded, but pretty damn close.

24champ
12-05-2010, 10:32 PM
There's no issue with the playcalling, it was more of the execution on the part of Orton. I hate to throw Orton under the bus because he has been a complete professional the whole time as a Denver Bronco. I am not impressed with his ability to convert 3rd downs, it's been a problem all season (except for the Seahawks game) and yes I realize some of the third downs have been long. Even so, it's painfully obvious that Orton is limited as a QB. As we saw today, there was several instances where Orton was way off the mark or balls were hitting the ground, falling short of the intended receiver.

broncocalijohn
12-05-2010, 11:10 PM

that is right and we could have brought in our next good running back to fill in. Paging Mr. Hillis, Mr. Hillis. Damn, I think he isnt here anymore. Errrrrrr!

Abandon? He has helped the Hillis thread go 125 pages for being hard hitted. He is here until the bitter end believing we didnt abandon the run because 10 minutes left in the game and not one run is not abandoning the run. Dont you know?

broncocalijohn
12-05-2010, 11:21 PM
I can't wait to hear Popps spin this into his PR slant. Jim Saccomanno should hire him.

Jim Saccomano is going to get fired and Bowlen is going to hire Popps. Jim cant spin it better than our own man at the Mane. If they are looking for a spokeshole, we got him right here.

strafen
12-05-2010, 11:28 PM

Not only that, but it became clear that without scripted plays Orton cannot improvise or be a gamer...

bendog
12-06-2010, 03:43 PM
It's a question as who is more clueless to McD's brain choke, Popps or McD. We're screwed cause Bowlen's bringing him back. I was open minded till this. I realize he sucks personnel wise, but he can't call a game either, apparantly.