PDA

View Full Version : Orton 9/28 32% 46.3 QB rating 1 fumble loss, refs blow call

thecool
12-05-2010, 02:15 PM
I'm not sure how you can look past this and find a way to blame the loss on McDaniels.

He is surely the scape goat here.

Taco John
12-05-2010, 02:17 PM
I'm not sure how you can look past this and find a way to blame the loss on McDaniels.

Simple: Josh kept calling Orton's number, and stopped calling Moreno's number.

Anyone could see that Moreno was working, and Orton was not. Why abandon the running game for a limp passing attack when you're embarassing them on the ground.

Maybe in the AFC East, passing in the fourth quarter is the thing to do, but in the AFC West, you grind your opponents into the dust in the fourth quarter when it's close, demoralize them, keep their offense on the sideline and that's how you win.

KevinJames
12-05-2010, 02:19 PM

Anyone could see that Moreno was working, and Orton was not. Why abandon the running game for a limp passing attack when you're embarassing them on the ground.

Maybe in the AFC East, passing in the fourth quarter is the thing to do, but in the AFC West, you grind your opponents into the dust in the fourth quarter when it's close, demoralize them, keep their offense on the sideline and that's how you win.

Watch the game again Orton checks out of a lot of run games down the stretch.

I won't blame this loss on McDaniels.

ScottXray
12-05-2010, 02:19 PM
I think Orton checked out of run plays a lot.

Mostly the play selection was ok...it was Orton that failed to get things done.

You can blame Josh for not pulling him, which he should have.

thecool
12-05-2010, 02:21 PM

You are simply stuck in the wrong decade.

Taco John
Watch the game again Orton checks out of a lot of run games down the stretch.

I won't blame this loss on McDaniels.

I will watch it again, because I sure don't believe it. I was looking for run and kept seeing pass. I'm not sure what you think you saw, but I sure didn't see it.

go_broncos
Mcd lover's still thinking he is a good coach..

Rohirrim
12-05-2010, 02:23 PM
That's the worse game I've ever seen Orton have. He just stunk it up. Hang this one on Kyle. Very winnable game that he just choked out.

Ratboy
12-05-2010, 02:25 PM
<--

bendog
12-05-2010, 02:26 PM
You are simply stuck in the wrong decade.

No team wins in Dec not being able to run unless its Indy with homefield

thecool
12-05-2010, 02:28 PM
No team wins in Dec not being able to run unless its Indy with homefield

We ran the ball well in the 1st December game. We were down... our objective was to find a way to score not to run the ball and grind the game out and run the clock.

If we were up it would make sense.

Steve Sewell
12-05-2010, 02:29 PM

Oh I don't know...because he allowed Orton to throw it 28 times during the game?

NO WAI!

bendog
12-05-2010, 02:29 PM
We ran the ball well in the 1st December game. We were down... our objective was to find a way to score not to run the ball and grind the game out and run the clock.

If we were up it would make sense.

No, you don't abandon the run when it works and you're dwon by less than seven. Stop posting, you're embarrasing yourself.

thecool
12-05-2010, 02:30 PM
No, you don't abandon the run when it works and you're dwon by less than seven. Stop posting, you're embarrasing yourself.

Where did I say we abandon the run?

Stop posting until you can actually read.

Popps
12-05-2010, 02:32 PM

Last week's game you could blame on McDaniels.

He called a good game this week, minus maybe one play. Great game, actually.

Orton really did stink it up today. I'm a supporter of his, but it almost looked like he was injured out there or something. He didn't look like himself.

Jason in LA
12-05-2010, 02:32 PM
So it's been said that Orton has been the bright spot while having no help from the running game or defense. Folks have said that if he had help then this team would be good.

Well the defense played well today, and they ran the ball very well. But where was Orton? I guess the Broncos need to be down by 20 points for him to get it going.

In a close game with the team playing well he was a no show.

thecool
12-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Oh I don't know...because he allowed Orton to throw it 28 times during the game?

NO WAI!

This is horse ****.

Orton is the QB of the damn team.

It's easy to sit here and blame McDaniels because of the heat he's gotten, but if Shanny were here it'd be on Cutler for ****ing up.

GTFOH.

Steve Sewell
12-05-2010, 02:34 PM
This is why we need a 100 post rule.

rbackfactory80
12-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Maybe Orton played so crappy because McD told him Tebow would start if things didn't improve this week.

misturanderson
12-05-2010, 02:37 PM
I really don't see why anyone is defending anything about the playcalling late in the game. If it was Orton checking out of runs, make him stop or replace him. Pretty simple solution if your QB that can't hit an open receiver to save his life keeps checking out of a run game that is killing it.

Rohirrim
12-05-2010, 02:37 PM

Orton really did stink it up today. I'm a supporter of his, but it almost looked like he was injured out there or something. He didn't look like himself.

My wife turned to me in the third quarter and asked, "Does Orton have the flu or something?" It was obvious.

Steve Sewell
12-05-2010, 02:38 PM
This is horse ****.

Orton is the QB of the damn team.

It's easy to sit here and blame McDaniels because of the heat he's gotten, but if Shanny were here it'd be on Cutler for ****ing up.

GTFOH.

Let me ask you this.

You are the head coach, and also in charge of calling offensive plays.

It's the 4th Quarter with 8 minutes left and you're down by 4 points on the road against a division rival.

Your defense got a key stop and forced a punt, which you received with good field position on your own 40 yard line.

At this point in the game, you have a running back that has been gashing the opponents defense all game long. He has something crazy like 160 yards on 22 carries. Your quarterback, on the other hand, is completing less than 50% of his passes for under 100 yards at this point.

What do you do?

Archer81
12-05-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm pretty sure the Broncos break the huddle with at least two play possibilities. Its on Orton to make the read and then audible into the more workable play. The run was working, the pass was not. For whatever reason Orton kept with the pass and throwing into double coverage...

But oh well. The way this season has gone I really dont care anymore. If its going to go wrong and the Broncos are playing, then inevitably it will go wrong for Denver.

:Broncos:

nickademus
12-05-2010, 03:10 PM
I think the worst part was the lack of play-action, it worked when we couldnt run but when moreno goes for 160+ we cant make it happen.

Rigs11
12-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Let me ask you this.

It's the 4th Quarter with 8 minutes left and you're down by 4 points on the road against a division rival.

Your defense got a key stop and forced a punt, which you received with good field position on your own 40 yard line.

At this point in the game, you have a running back that has been gashing the opponents defense all game long. He has something crazy like 160 yards on 22 carries. Your quarterback, on the other hand, is completing less than 50% of his passes for under 100 yards at this point.

What do you do?

umm..you pass?;D

dsmoot
12-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Let me ask you this.

What do you do?

Orton was way off today. This was like watching Favre. Throwing into coverage, behind or the to wrong side of his receivers, many close calls for interceptions. The defense and the KC offense did enough to keep it close for us. There was almost no fear that Orton was going to make KC pay for their bad play. That is what a good QB takes advantage of. We don't have one playing for Denver. We do have one with good season stats, whatever thats worth.

UberBroncoMan
12-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Orton lost this game, but McD didn't do any favors by abandoning a superb running game my Moreno.

Steve Sewell
12-05-2010, 03:22 PM
umm..you pass?;D

McD! How did you get on the forums so quickly after the game?

Archer81
12-05-2010, 03:23 PM

Verizon 4G. Its everywhere you wanna be.

Rigs11
12-05-2010, 03:24 PM

This hoodie is teh coolest!Lets pump fist!!

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-05-2010, 03:26 PM
So it's been said that Orton has been the bright spot while having no help from the running game or defense. Folks have said that if he had help then this team would be good.

Well the defense played well today, and they ran the ball very well. But where was Orton? I guess the Broncos need to be down by 20 points for him to get it going.

Oh please. Orton had a bad game, and I don't think anyone would disagree with that. But come the **** on. This has been his one boner game of the year, and it just happened to fall on the day that the running game and defense were worth a ****. Sucks, but that's life.

I hardly believe that this is the trend, and the 10 other games where he put up massive stats are the exception. Give it a rest.

thecool
12-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Oh please. Orton had a bad game, and I don't think anyone would disagree with that. But come the **** on. This has been his one boner game of the year, and it just happened to fall on the day that the running game and defense were worth a ****. Sucks, but that's life.

I hardly believe that this is the trend, and the 10 other games where he put up massive stats are the exception. Give it a rest.

Orton just doesn't have it.

The thing is, Orton missed POINT blank passes today. He was throwing into double coverage, and dropped ints all over the place.

This wasn't a product of great defense by the Chiefs, Orton's decision making and throwing today was HORRIBLE.

Sure QBs are allowed to have a horrible game each year... however it should be a product of another defense playing great.

lostknight
12-05-2010, 03:32 PM

It's worse then that. It's a systematic weakness with Orton and being forced off schedule that has been killing us in third down and goal line situations all season. It's gotten significantly worse the last seven games.

This is the fifth game this season where Orton was driving with the ball in his hands in the fourth for the lead, and he gave it away (two ints, one fumble) or failed to score. He is 4/30 on third downs the last three weeks. That's unacceptable.

Steve Sewell
12-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Orton just doesn't have it.

The thing is, Orton missed POINT blank passes today. He was throwing into double coverage, and dropped ints all over the place.

This wasn't a product of great defense by the Chiefs, Orton's decision making and throwing today was HORRIBLE.

Sure QBs are allowed to have a horrible game each year... however it should be a product of another defense playing great.

So as a coach with 8 minutes left, 4 pts down, division game on the road, hot hand with the running game, what would you do? You still haven't answered the question. The game falls on the playcalling down the stretch. Who's the playcaller?

Archer81
12-05-2010, 03:43 PM
So as a coach with 8 minutes left, 4 pts down, division game on the road, hot hand with the running game, what would you do? You still haven't answered the question. The game falls on the playcalling down the stretch. Who's the playcaller?

Who audibles at the line?

If Orton is given two plays, one run the other pass and elects to pass on what he sees the defense in, how is that the coach's fault?

SoDak Bronco
12-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Orton looked like crap...kept throwing it in the dirt and never made a "play". I miss the non scripted plays where QB's like Cutler/Plummer/Elway could make something outta nothing.

thecool
12-05-2010, 03:44 PM

I just typed a post and the mane went down and deleted it.

In summary:

Football isn't that simple. Logically, you'd want to run it the way you described it. But Orton looked like he checked out of a running play only to throw an incomplete pass to Lloyd.

dsmoot
12-05-2010, 03:45 PM

Stats are for losers. If you want to discuss stats lets talk about 3rd down and 4th quarter performance. I think that frames your point better.

thecool
12-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Orton looked like crap...kept throwing it in the dirt and never made a "play". I miss the non scripted plays where QB's like Cutler/Plummer/Elway could make something outta nothing.

Cutler and Plummer rarely did that.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Stats are for losers. If you want to discuss stats lets talk about 3rd down and 4th quarter performance. I think that frames your point better.

"Stats are for losers. Let's discuss stats."

Hmmm.

bendog
12-05-2010, 03:47 PM
It will be interesting to see how many times Orton checked out of run, but ultimately it's the coach/OC who is responsible for making sure his qb stops checking out if he wants the run.

dsmoot
12-05-2010, 03:52 PM
"Stats are for losers. Let's discuss stats."

Hmmm.

you got me.

maven
12-05-2010, 03:53 PM
Orton ****ing sucks!!!!!!!

Archer81
12-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Orton ****ing sucks!!!!!!!

Well that solves it.

End thread. How can we top such verbose eloquence?

TheReverend
12-05-2010, 03:55 PM

6 points is calling a good game now?!?!?!

:rofl:

SoDak Bronco
12-05-2010, 03:58 PM
Cutler and Plummer rarely did that.

Yeah he rarely made throws while under pressure and on the move...Are you serious? He was more accurate on the move then in the pocket..plus they could get you first downs with there feet. This is something we could use with Tebow.

thecool
12-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Yeah he rarely made throws while under pressure and on the move...Are you serious? He was more accurate on the move then in the pocket..plus they could get you first downs with there feet. This is something we could use with Tebow.

Plummer made throws on moves because of play actions, which were scripted/designed.

Are you serious?

thecool
12-05-2010, 04:05 PM
And Plummer couldn't pass from the pocket very efficiently. It was scary watching him passing from the pocket.

Jay Cutler had great protection in 2008 so he rarely had to make plays with his feet or make plays when they broke down (which he rarely did). Cutler's QB rating from outside the pocket comes from PA and bootlegs too... completely different from what you're referring to.

elsid13
12-05-2010, 04:11 PM

I wouldn't say the defense played well, they got lucky that Chefs offense sucks. Giving up 359 yards, and letting KC have the ball for 37:14, isn't a good defense day.

thecool
12-05-2010, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't say the defense played well, they got lucky that Chefs offense sucks. Giving up 359 yards, and letting KC have the ball for 37:14, isn't a good defense day.

You can put some of that on the offense for not putting any drives together.

go_broncos
12-05-2010, 04:40 PM

WOW...Seriously, do you post while drinking??

Dedhed
12-05-2010, 04:44 PM

I thought Moreno was a bust.

Jesterhole
12-05-2010, 04:52 PM

Called a great game? We got 6 points. You really know what you're talking about.

OABB
12-05-2010, 04:52 PM

slowgain moweenhole should be averaging 9.0 ypc as a number 12 pick. He is a bust.

bendog
12-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Who audibles at the line?

If Orton is given two plays, one run the other pass and elects to pass on what he sees the defense in, how is that the coach's fault?

The coach has a radio input to the QB. If the QB is consistently ****ing up, the coach has instant communication for future plays, i.e. "GD it kYle stop checking off"

snowspot66
12-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Called a great game? We got 6 points. You really know what you're talking about.

Players have to execute.

Why can't some of you realize that a good call isn't just the ones that work?

I'm not saying he called a perfect game. No runs at the end was retarded. But we had very balanced play calling for most of the game and when the passes were called many of them, not all but many of them, had they been executed properly, would have beat the defense. I don't know what the **** happened to Orton today. He had some great opportunities and couldn't hit a barn.

TheReverend
12-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Players have to execute.

I'm not saying he called a perfect game. No runs at the end was retarded. But we had very balanced play calling for most of the game and when the passes were called many of them, not all but many of them, had they been executed properly, would have beat the defense.

Congratulations. You just described every offensive play in the NFL outside of the QB kneel down.

bendog
12-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Players have to execute.

I'm not saying he called a perfect game. No runs at the end was retarded. But we had very balanced play calling for most of the game and when the passes were called many of them, not all but many of them, had they been executed properly, would have beat the defense. I don't know what the **** happened to Orton today. He had some great opportunities and couldn't hit a barn.

Choke

snowspot66
12-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Congratulations. You just described every offensive play in the NFL outside of the QB kneel down.

Yeah, sure. Whatever. Our receivers had guys beat. Orton didn't execute. That's play calling putting our players in a position to succeed. What the **** more does anybody want? A run play on third and 15? That is what a bad call is.

ScottXray
12-05-2010, 08:32 PM
Yeah, sure. Whatever. Our receivers had guys beat. Orton didn't execute. That's play calling putting our players in a position to succeed. What the **** more does anybody want? A run play on third and 15? That is what a bad call is.

+1 ..

The outs that Orton kept throwing short hops on were on Orton. The recievers were open but he couldn't get the ball to them. He had little to no pressure on most of his throws today and he consistently screwed the pooch.

One really bad call I saw was the throw to Moreno when we had third and goal in the third quarter. There were two defenders converging on Moreno and that play wasn't going anywhere , probably ( Moreno Might have been able to do something the way he was finding space today)
But Orton even messed that up, by throwing behind Moreno instead of hitting him cleanly and he essentially killed that drive and forced the FG.

Orton looked really BAD all game. He was locking on receivers and not seeing the open man time and again.

There were a LOT of plays where Moreno was laeaking out of the backfield clean but Orton kept going to Lloyd ( Lloyd caught 2 of 11 throws to him today....and every MISS I can remember were Throws that Orton either shouldn't have thrown or threw off target.) I don't recall a single ball that Lloyd didn't catch because he was at fault.

TonyR
12-05-2010, 08:39 PM

Funny how they're shifting gears on this one, isn't it? Don't worry, next time he spends a game getting hit by multiple defenders in the backfield he'll be a bust again.

broncosteven
12-05-2010, 08:53 PM
slowgain moweenhole should be averaging 9.0 ypc as a number 12 pick. He is a bust.

I do wish he could play KFC every week.

He has gotten much better in the last 3 weeks when they use him. I will admit that I think I put too much into thinking he wasn't getting carries because mCd didn't trust him, now I just think mCd doesn't think there is room in his playbook for rushing.

KM is earning my respect but it would be nice to see him take one to the house from 40+ yards or more and not get caught from behind by a DL.

Spider
12-05-2010, 08:57 PM

huh? ............. Give me the good ole days , when a defense shut down one part of your offense , you went to something that did work ... I know crazy talk

TheReverend
12-05-2010, 09:08 PM

And he hadn't been executing all day. He even admitted they were giving us the run. Yet we still ran back to it all too often. We also have a bench and another QB.

Crennel outsmarted McD. He knew if he gave him the run to take away the pass, his "OMFG I NEED TO THROWWWWWWWWWWWWW" nature would come out and he'd beat himself and that's exactly what he did.

End result: 6 points.

broncosteven
12-05-2010, 09:20 PM
And he hadn't been executing all day. He even admitted they were giving us the run. Yet we still ran back to it all too often. We also have a bench and another QB.

Crennel outsmarted McD. He knew if he gave him the run to take away the pass, his "OMFG I NEED TO THROWWWWWWWWWWWWW" nature would come out and he'd beat himself and that's exactly what he did.

Yep, mCd said in the presser that he knew KFC was trying to take away the pass, he also said he thought we were "due" to hit on one, that is like feeding money into a slot thinking it has to pay off eventually.

Bronco Yoda
12-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Orton was way off today. He's not that good on 3rd downs and in clutch situations. Add having an off day, and you end up with 6 whole points.

Who here would have bet on a loss if your were told we'd hold them to 10 points. Very frustrating loss.

HAT
12-05-2010, 09:35 PM

Not for nothing but Orton's 28 attempts were a season low.

TheReverend
12-06-2010, 06:29 AM
Not for nothing but Orton's 28 attempts were a season low.

Because he couldn't convert a 3rd down to keep drives going. Ha!

broncogary
12-06-2010, 06:46 AM
Let me ask you this.

What do you do?

Trick them like Gary Kubiak would and come out with an empty backfield.

They would never expect that. :curtsey:

Mountain Bronco
12-06-2010, 09:10 AM
I was puzzled by the play calling as well, when Moreno would rip off 5-10 yards a carry. Maybe it was Orton, but if it was, Josh needs to tell him to stop freaking optioning out of the run, that is Josh's job.

Ortons play sucked, but that is what you get with a middle of the road QB.

HAT
12-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Because he couldn't convert a 3rd down to keep drives going. Ha!

Very true....Only 55 plays. Still, without looking it up, I bet yesterday's run/pass ratio was higher (toward the run) than average over the last 38 games.

And I agree that they should've ran it some more in the 4th Q but it's not like it was all pass, all the time.

Orton plays well and people complain that Knowshon is a bust....Moreno has a monster game and people complain he was under utilized. Same old 'Mane.

cousinal11
12-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Orton sucked yesterday, no doubt about it.

Kind of OT, but why the **** did we punt from our own 38 on 4th and 4 with 2+ mins left?

DarkHorse30
12-06-2010, 10:24 AM
I really don't see why anyone is defending anything about the playcalling late in the game. If it was Orton checking out of runs, make him stop or replace him. Pretty simple solution if your QB that can't hit an open receiver to save his life keeps checking out of a run game that is killing it.

Yeah, I've defended McDaniels but I have YET to see him call a good game. He's supposed to be such a player as an OC, but I have seen NO evidence.

At this point, McDaniels has ONE thing going for him....the ability to coach up QBs and WRs. But what good is that if you can't call a decent game? When Knowshon ran like 8 times in a row, I thought that was crazy.....but it was working. And then at the 10 yard line McD stopped calling run plays. Dumb. The guy needs a wake-up call or maybe a demotion to QB coach.....let someone else call the plays.

Tombstone RJ
12-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Orton is inaccurate and predictable, the KC game was very telling. In-ac-ur-ate. and he makes some very questionable decisions.

Tombstone RJ
12-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Yeah, I've defended McDaniels but I have YET to see him call a good game. He's supposed to be such a player as an OC, but I have seen NO evidence.

At this point, McDaniels has ONE thing going for him....the ability to coach up QBs and WRs. But what good is that if you can't call a decent game? When Knowshon ran like 8 times in a row, I thought that was crazy.....but it was working. And then at the 10 yard line McD stopped calling run plays. Dumb. The guy needs a wake-up call or maybe a demotion to QB coach.....let someone else call the plays.

Having Tom Brady really, really helps.

Ponder this: how good of a coach was Bellichick before Tom Brady?

McD can coach up QBs no doubt. He did it with Cassel and he's improved Orton tremendously. Hopefully, he can do the same or better with Tebow. Bowlen would be wise to keep McD and see if he can make Tebow the next great Broncos QB.

Gutless Drunk
12-06-2010, 12:44 PM

I guess people get swayed by the passing yards..but this offense is pretty average:

2010 Offense - Yards
#11 Denver Broncos 357.6
2010 Offense - Scoring:
#19 Denver Broncos 21.3

Mountain Bronco
12-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Having John Elway really, really helps.

Ponder this: how good of a coach was Shannahan before and after John Elway?

Eddited to show that this happens with a ton of coaches. Talent makes coaching a 1000 times easier.

Orton isn't talented. Middle of the road QB, nothing more, nothing less.

Also, the play calling was awful, results were awful and defending that is arguing against reason. This is the interweb though, so arguing against reason happens a ton.

Archer81
12-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Eddited to show that this happens with a ton of coaches. Talent makes coaching a 1000 times easier.

Also, the play calling was awful, results were awful and defending that is arguing against reason. This is the interweb though, so arguing against reason happens a ton.

To play in the NFL requires talent. To say otherwise goes against reason.

:approve:

bendog
12-06-2010, 01:10 PM

shanny won close to twice as many as he lost after Elway retired.

Rock Chalk
12-06-2010, 01:45 PM
shanny won close to twice as many as he lost after Elway retired.

Yeah, and 1 playoff game.

So does it matter? In the end, he won one playoff game in his career without Elway. Look at AnY coach in history who went 12 years of coaching with ONE playoff victory and would you consider them a hall of famer? No. Give that same coach a legend of a QB and luck out on a gem of a RB in the 6th round and what happens?

That's all Im saying. Without Elway, Shanahan is a very unremarkable coach.

broncocalijohn
12-06-2010, 01:52 PM
That's the worse game I've ever seen Orton have. He just stunk it up. Hang this one on Kyle. Very winnable game that he just choked out.

Yes, but it is also on the coach to find a way to win when one thing isnt working. Im not sure if it was the wind blowing or Orton had too many Jack n Cokes the night before, but those balls were bouncing or at the receivers shoe tops for many of those incompletes. If Orton kept changing the plays, I want to see the firey Josh on the sidelines yelling at Orton to stick with the running game. 10 points given up and we can only muster two field goals. No, this one starts with Orton but who is 2nd? It cant be the line, defense or Moreno. You have either the wide receivers for not getting open or McDaniels. For the KC game, it was Orton + McDaniels = no comeback. I have stated it before but not going for it on 4th and 4 on our 37 yard line with 3:06 to play and only one timeout was a bad choice.

bendog
12-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Yeah, and 1 playoff game.

So does it matter? In the end, he won one playoff game in his career without Elway. Look at AnY coach in history who went 12 years of coaching with ONE playoff victory and would you consider them a hall of famer? No. Give that same coach a legend of a QB and luck out on a gem of a RB in the 6th round and what happens?

That's all Im saying. Without Elway, Shanahan is a very unremarkable coach.

And I'm saying you are stupid.