PDA

View Full Version : Suggs vs. Goodell

loborugger
12-03-2010, 12:02 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Now-Terrell-Suggs-is-bashing-the-NFL-says-leagu?urn=nfl-291236

"The league has their favorites. One being in Indy and one being with that other team up north. Besides those two, everybody is fair game. Some quarterbacks are getting the calls right away. Some quarterbacks they don't care.

"Like I always said, Carson Palmer(notes) got hit in his knee in 2005 but there was no rule made. Then Tom Brady got hit in his knee and all of a sudden there is a rule and possible suspensions, excessive fines -- it's just getting ridiculous."

See link for rest of article, but this is the meat of it.

I think Suggs overstates the case a bit, but otherwise he is in line with what a lot of us have been saying for years.

colonelbeef
12-03-2010, 01:12 PM
They protect all of the QBs the best that they can, and should do so.

Quality QB play makes the league interesting.

Boss Man
12-03-2010, 01:26 PM
They protect all of the QBs the best that they can, and should do so.

Quality QB play makes the league interesting.

Well goodell is renound for trying to "protect the integrity of the game" its image and the safety of the players...So what does that say about the commissioners integrity when by his actions he says certain players are more Important than others???? pure hypocrisy

that being said i HATE goodell and feel as tho he is trying way to hard to put his imprint on an already great product...

Hogan11
12-03-2010, 01:35 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Now-Terrell-Suggs-is-bashing-the-NFL-says-leagu?urn=nfl-291236

"The league has their favorites. One being in Indy and one being with that other team up north. Besides those two, everybody is fair game. Some quarterbacks are getting the calls right away. Some quarterbacks they don't care.

"Like I always said, Carson Palmer(notes) got hit in his knee in 2005 but there was no rule made. Then Tom Brady got hit in his knee and all of a sudden there is a rule and possible suspensions, excessive fines -- it's just getting ridiculous."

See link for rest of article, but this is the meat of it.

I think Suggs overstates the case a bit, but otherwise he is in line with what a lot of us have been saying for years.

Suggs is 100% correct, They absoluetly pander to those who bring in the most. That creep Palmer has nowhere near the star power of Tom Brady or Payton Manning. Goodell saw how the ratings went down when Brady went down and acted to protect the "elite" golden geese after they protested. Favre is another one and the only reason why we're going to have some f'ed up OT rules in the post-season from here on out.

The only absurdity in this whole thing is the NFL's refusal to admit to it.

Beantown Bronco
12-03-2010, 01:56 PM
They protect all of the QBs the best that they can

I disagree. No flag and only $5K in fines TOTAL for this play earlier this season. This happens to Brady or Manning and do you really believe nothing gets called? Please.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VHUxZ3Z6W0s?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VHUxZ3Z6W0s?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

cutthemdown
12-03-2010, 04:25 PM
The problem is records will go down because of these rules. No one really thinks Orton and Lloyd could do this under the old rules do they? LOL at Orton trying to throw for 300 yrds 40 times a game vs Howie Long, Bill Pickell, Greg Townsend and company in the 80's. He wouldn't have lasted but 5-6 games.

People do remember Elway being flung to the ground, bounced on with all there weight, hit in head with helmet, hit while running out of bounds and flung into the benches? I do.

The new rules are letting average signal callers approach 4000 yrds. It's letting WR that would have been lucky to get 40 balls back when CBS clutched and grabbed and smacked you going over the middle, they get 60-70-80 now.

The league is making rules that don't make any player safer. All they do is increase the scoring and take money from defensive players.

Go ahead add up the fines its all being paid by defenders.
Teams will have to pay big hitters more to make up for it. Anyone who thinks that Harrissons agent in Pitt won't say he deserves another million, you wouldn't want him to change how he plays would you? Pay it or someone else will.

If I was an owner I would keep track of fines I felt were BS, then just add that to the players bonus when you re-sign him. Just don't say that you are doing it. If I can think of that then I'm sure it's already going on.

Wouldn't be surprised if players help out teammates if they are the low paid ones and get fined. You know just like pay there mortgage for them a couple months etc etc. Lot's of ways to do it where there isnt cash changing hands.

Bigdawg26
12-03-2010, 04:49 PM
I disagree. No flag and only $5K in fines TOTAL for this play earlier this season. This happens to Brady or Manning and do you really believe nothing gets called? Please.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VHUxZ3Z6W0s?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VHUxZ3Z6W0s?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Geez... If that were Brady or Manning not only would there have been flags and fines, but probably ejected as well!

gunns
12-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Cutthemdown, some people see you as negative and I see why. In the past Broncos fans would have used Matt Cassell and Dwayne Bowe as the examples to laugh at, not Broncos players. I don't get ripping our own QB and Wr for doing well. Not a dig, constructive criticism is all. Dont get mad.

What? I didn't get that he was saying anything but the truth about our QB and WR, as an example of most of the players at that position in the league now. Those defensive players would have killed the QB's now under those rules.

Homer Simpson
12-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Lord, never mind, I didn't make my point clearly and this place is absolutely brutal, Gunns please as a favor delete your post before he wolves tear me apart.

TheReverend
12-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Someone should tell Suggs that Gooddell wasn't even the commissioner for Palmer's injury in 2005...

boltaneer
12-03-2010, 11:56 PM
The NFL is stepping up their protection of the players and especially quarterbacks because they're going to an eighteen game season.

It's going to be brutal.

cutthemdown
12-04-2010, 01:30 AM
It's seems unfair to me to the defensive players. If they give up points they lose job, but they have to play safe because these fines are actually now cutting into there cash. But you don't see anything qbs can be fined for. They get all the money, and none of the fines.

In fact it things like chop blocks don't get fined as much IMO as qbs getting sacked in the head do. So they are saying a qbs head more important then a dlinemans knees.

Now the Eagles are crying they say Vick getting hit too much. But he runs all around, at what point does the defense go from hes a RB, to hes a QB, to he's a RB, by the time they decide hes 10 yrd downfield. He fake slides, fakes out of bounds then darts back inside for 20 more yrds etc etc.

Now Eagles want more protection for him? What a joke this isn't the NFL I grew up to love.

Who cares if QBS get hurt? Not me. No different then any other player just put the next one in. Half of the superstars out there got start by the other guy getting hurt.

loborugger
12-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Suggs is 100% correct, They absoluetly pander to those who bring in the most. That creep Palmer has nowhere near the star power of Tom Brady or Payton Manning. Goodell saw how the ratings went down when Brady went down and acted to protect the "elite" golden geese after they protested. Favre is another one and the only reason why we're going to have some f'ed up OT rules in the post-season from here on out.

The only absurdity in this whole thing is the NFL's refusal to admit to it.

Agreed.

The thing is, it strikes at the integrity of the league. Which is ironic as Goodell is such an integrity guy.

Jetmeck
12-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Well Goodell is gonna do what he wants even if its wrong or short sited or about 75% disagree with it.

Kinda like our coach ?

When the courts stepped in between him and those two Viking players couple years ago I LOL because someone as inflexible as him needs to be straightened out every once in a while.

oubronco
12-04-2010, 02:33 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:VvfuhWEK7lg2IM:http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n220/cherizzledizzle/PissOnChiefs.jpg&t=1