PDA

View Full Version : Elway throws his hat in the ring?

lostknight
12-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Interesting enough, just listened to the 87.7's Elway show this morning.
Josh is very clearly campaigning for the GM job. Stated that he wasn't Woody's source (which I think Woody acknowledged was Shanahan?), but that he would be glad to talk to the Broncos "to see what is available." He talked a lot about personal decisions - in particular with the draft - and stated that he wasn't a personal expert, but listening to his statements, he also make things clear that he viewed the Personal guy as part of the team, not as the GM. Then he explicitly stated "I could find that guy" and if asked, he would rejoin the Broncos if asked.

Said that Josh was spreading himself way to thin. He is a hands on guy, and it's hard to be very good at a lot of different things. Said he is as smart a coach as any in the NFL.

Are the Broncos looking, or is Elway just offering? Between this, and the other rumors floating around, I think it's fair to say that a lot of people thing a front office purge is coming, and are getting into position to make a run at it.

I like this idea - but it does break one cardinal rule of business - never hire anyone you can't afford to fire.

Rabb
12-03-2010, 09:55 AM
Honestly, I think having the Duke in there in some capacity could have the same sort of impact Ozzie has on the Ravens

I really hope it happens in some way...maybe not GM but some position of influence

ColoradoDarin
12-03-2010, 09:55 AM
I think I'd rather have Elway in the owner's box than GM. Some sort of VP would be good though.

broncocalijohn
12-03-2010, 09:56 AM
interesting thoughts and it would suck if Elway was trash at a GM position. You have to be thick skinned and put personal feelings aside when you become coach or take a F.O. job. I hardly ever hear him criticize and calling Josh as smart as anyone in the NFL at coaching shows he will say something nice even when it probably isnt true.

Popps
12-03-2010, 09:57 AM
Wow, cool news.

I think the trick is that he'd have to be in some sort of personnel position, but not a GM. He's just not qualified to be a GM, it would seem.

Would be great to have him in the fold, though.

Rabb
12-03-2010, 09:58 AM
interesting thoughts and it would suck if Elway was trash at a GM position. You have to be thick skinned and put personal feelings aside when you become coach or take a F.O. job. I hardly ever hear him criticize and calling Josh as smart as anyone in the NFL at coaching shows he will say something nice even when it probably isnt true.

or, maybe he really believes it?

Spider
12-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Great players normally make lousy coaches .....

Garcia Bronco
just about every business venture elway has been involved in has been a failure. Pass

lostknight
Wow, cool news.

I think the trick is that he'd have to be in some sort of personnel position, but not a GM. He's just not qualified to be a GM, it would seem.

Actually, he was trying to sell the reverse - "he could find" the personnel guy. Which makes sense, given his dad.

Liquid Courage
12-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Put Elway in as VP of Ops; get a real GM that knows personnel and contract structures and then one of two things would need to happen:
1) take control of the coaching choices and get vetted coordinators that can teach talent and get the most out of them - forcing McD to be either a HC and act like one (not like an over-extended OC which he is acting like now) or to leave and . .
2) eliminate McD and let Elway go tap the shoulder of the guy I think he wants - Harbaugh - who is a Stanford chum and a guy who knows the impact of surrounding himself with better coaches than he is; allowing him to do the things a real HC should do.

Popps
12-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Actually, he was trying to sell the reverse - "he could find" the personnel guy. Which makes sense, given his dad.

I see.

Would be great to listen to this. Do they replay or archive online?

Rabb
12-03-2010, 10:07 AM
just about every business venture elway has been involved in has been a failure. Pass

hardly

the Crush won the arena bowl and the Arena League itself failed, not the team

lostknight
12-03-2010, 10:08 AM
I see.

Would be great to listen to this. Do they replay or archive online?

Yes. http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=96&c=738&f=64052

lostknight
12-03-2010, 10:10 AM

Yeah. I want to sell my car dealerships for $82 million and have that be considered a failure.

hades
12-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Yeah. I want to sell my car dealerships for $82 million and have that be considered a failure.

Yup, others could have gotten at least $83 million! :wiggle:

Garcia Bronco
12-03-2010, 10:15 AM

Everyone knows his name was on it, but he didn't run it. You people are so desperate and think it's a quick fix. "Just hire that guy, and all will be well." Hardly. Elway was the greatest QB to play the game, but his playing days are over.

BigPlayShay
12-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Yes. http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=96&c=738&f=64052

I agree with John, they should have kicked the ball away rather than the onside kick. Especially after the 5 yard penalty. That almost ensured a touchback. Cost themselves a lot of field position.

lostknight
12-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Everyone knows his name was on it, but he didn't run it.

He owned them. Then he sold them. He made a fortune.

You people are so desperate and think it's a quick fix. "Just hire that guy, and all will be well." Hardly. Elway was the greatest QB to play the game, but his playing days are over.

Drop the generalizations please. I think people are desperate for a fix in the front office, and for someone other then Josh to be the face of the franchise.

lostknight
12-03-2010, 10:34 AM
I agree with John, they should have kicked the ball away rather than the onside kick. Especially after the 5 yard penalty. That almost ensured a touchback. Cost themselves a lot of field position.

Offense wasn't having problems at that point. Defense was. Onside gives you two seperate chances. The chance to recover the onside (in good field position for you), and the chance to do a three and out.
I really think it was the right call. The broncos just failed to execute when they got the ball back.

Swedish Extrovert
12-03-2010, 10:44 AM

Actually it is true. McD is a smart coach. Terrible people person, but a smart coach.

mr007
12-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Since when is Elway qualified for ANY position on our team other than maybe helping out the QBs?

It's ridiculous to think he would fit in anywhere here - pass.

broncocalijohn
12-03-2010, 11:04 AM

so MVP.com didnt pan out but I think his car business was sold for a tidy profit and then got into the business again (and may I say my cousin was partners with him on one auto adventure) and has done very well here in California. Has his restuarant failed? I think his investments in property or business would be a separate catagory as football related. If he has the knack for picking talent and matching personel for this team, why wouldnt he get an interview?

broncosteven
12-03-2010, 11:07 AM

Considering a lot of coaches actually played in the NFL and won SB's I don't agree with this statement.

Sure there are guys like Bart Starr but then there are guys like Landry, I think it is a wash at the least.

broncocalijohn
12-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Everyone knows his name was on it, but he didn't run it. You people are so desperate and think it's a quick fix. "Just hire that guy, and all will be well." Hardly. Elway was the greatest QB to play the game, but his playing days are over.

You dont know wtf you are talking about. His name is on it because he is the owner. He goes to owner meetings and I just talked to my cousin a few weeks ago and they had an owner's meeting in Rancho Santa Margarita (Orange County). He was there with my cousin and all the others in the sphere (not sure if it was just Nissan as that is what my cousin owns in Avondale, AZ). He also gave an inpromto (sic?) speech that my cousin Mike stated was leaderlike and motivating. GB, you are completely wrong. He has been in the car business now for many years and is probably his top business by far. Dont back track and just come out and say, "Im was talking out of my ass and I had no idea what goes on in Elway's personal business." Honesty is the best policy.

mkporter
12-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Interesting enough, just listened to the 87.7's Elway show this morning.
Josh is very clearly campaigning for the GM job. Stated that he wasn't Woody's source (which I think Woody acknowledged was Shanahan?), but that he would be glad to talk to the Broncos "to see what is available." He talked a lot about personal decisions - in particular with the draft - and stated that he wasn't a personal expert, but listening to his statements, he also make things clear that he viewed the Personal guy as part of the team, not as the GM. Then he explicitly stated "I could find that guy" and if asked, he would rejoin the Broncos if asked.

Said that Josh was spreading himself way to thin. He is a hands on guy, and it's hard to be very good at a lot of different things. Said he is as smart a coach as any in the NFL.

Are the Broncos looking, or is Elway just offering? Between this, and the other rumors floating around, I think it's fair to say that a lot of people thing a front office purge is coming, and are getting into position to make a run at it.

I like this idea - but it does break one cardinal rule of business - never hire anyone you can't afford to fire.

Footsteps and I have been discussing this in the Gruden thread: http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=95441 I'm not sure GM is the right spot for him, but I do think that Josh needs another set of hands that can provide some guidance and take over some of his responsibilities. I personally think we should bring him in as VP of Football operations, which was one of Shanny's old titles I think. There is no one with this position currently, and there really isn't anyone who can manage Josh and Xanders from a football perspective with any relevant experience, right now. Ellis can't, and Bowlen can't, and there isn't anyone else. We need someone doing this in a full time role. I think Josh would actually support this, but who knows. I know he has an ego, as all NFL head coaches do, but I don't necessarily see him as a guy who is mad for power.

NFLBRONCO
12-03-2010, 11:21 AM
I love Elway but, as a GM NOT.

Swedish Extrovert
12-03-2010, 11:26 AM
He'd be a great director of player personnel.

bronco_diesel
12-03-2010, 11:30 AM

Magic Johnson was an awesome coach

/sarcasm off

misturanderson
12-03-2010, 11:33 AM

I missed the part where there was any mention whatsoever of Elway being a coach.

WolfpackGuy
12-03-2010, 11:45 AM
Ozzie Newsome worked for years in the Browns/Ravens personnel department before becoming the GM.

It's not like they just brought him off the street and handed him the keys to the GM office a la Matt Millen.

Not to say Elway couldn't do it eventually, but the Broncos need someone who is a winner AND experienced as a GM.

Mile High Shack
12-03-2010, 11:57 AM
I don't see a problem with him coming in to consult and learn on the job from a real GM (in which we hire)

Drek
12-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Ozzie Newsome worked for years in the Browns/Ravens personnel department before becoming the GM.

It's not like they just brought him off the street and handed him the keys to the GM office a la Matt Millen.

Not to say Elway couldn't do it eventually, but the Broncos need someone who is a winner AND experienced as a GM.

Elway owned and help run a pro football team once already, so there's that.

Elway's comment to me suggest something more like VP of Football Operations though, where he'd help find the GM or Director of Personnel who would work hand in hand with McDaniels, while Elway spends most of his time working as the interface between those people and Bowlen and being the PR face of the organization.

Josh McDaniels is starting to build a pretty solid offense here and his defense has been forced to work without some of its best players this year. Giving him a reworked situation where he is not the final player talent evaluator, where he is not the soul person trying to find and recruit coaching talent, and where he can really just focus on coaching the team would go a long way towards this team improving on this horrible year.

Rabb
12-03-2010, 12:26 PM

That's exactly my point also

and Ozzie is arguably one of, if not the, top GMs in the league right now

Hogan11
12-03-2010, 12:27 PM

Known as the "Bart Starr Principle" we're seeing that unfold right now in San Francisco

nickademus
12-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Do you people forget that Elway was a economics major at Stanford? We arn't talking about some state school and the only business that John has failed at was the MVP.com thing with MJ and Wane. He said himself that he doesnt have the experience to be the personel guy, but if you make him VP of football operations let him put a team together to right the ship with John as the face of the franchise I would help alot. Especially since xanders and ellis dont seem to want to comment on things bronco related.

Broncoman13
12-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Wow, cool news.

Yeah, I agree. John Elway also said during that interview that he wasn't sure that he could lead a scouting department, that his Dad and some of the more senior player evaluators could find that little something that most guys missed. Said that is what the Broncos did so well with guys like TD, Gary, Anderson, etc. He said that he COULD find those things himself.

You can listen to the interview/show on line. I googled 87.7 The Ticket and found it online (podcasts). There are two for Dec. 3 and John Elway Show. The first, about 6 minutes long is kind of funny but nothing much Bronco related. The 2nd, about 15 minutes long is where they discuss the personnel stuff and whether he would take the job or if he would listen to offers.

Also, they may have the interview with CJ and Coach Mac... Very, very interesting interview. I was sitting in line at Wendy's when Coach Mac said he discussed a plan A and a plan B with CU in August. Plan A was to support Hawk as much as possible. Plan B, and these are his exact words, "Was to hirer a brother. By brother I mean a Black person...". He went on to explain what he meant by that and why it was important for recruiting and all. CJ knew that it would ruffle a lot of feathers and explained that some people wouldn't understand where he was coming from... Coach Mac didn't pull any punches and really laid it down barney style. Explained that it would take JE and EB a few years to really turn this thing around and pleaded for them to get the necessary time to really make a change. Reminded me of what we're going through with McD and his change. Sometimes we fans are too much into what have you done for me lately and winning now. But, if the new coach were to come in and get caught breaking NCAA rules he probably wouldn't be treated much differently than McD is right now (with McSpygate and all). Sorry to get side tracked, it was a long a very candid interview... I've never heard anybody be that candid on radio in fact.

UberBroncoMan
12-03-2010, 04:40 PM
"I could find that guy" and if asked, he would rejoin the Broncos if asked.

Jim Goodman?

IHaveALight
12-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Jim Goodman?

I think you are reading the quote wrong.

"I could find that guy" and if asked, he would rejoin the Broncos if asked.

Notice only "I could find that guy" is quoted. Therefore I believe the other part refers to Elway being the person who would return if asked.

Taco John
12-03-2010, 04:52 PM
I don't know why people doubt Elway as a GM. The guy ran a successful car empire while he was quarterbacking a team. I wouldn't want him as the player personnel director, and clearly he wouldn't want that position either. His take seems to be that he would manage things from the top and hire the people to staff the positions that matter. Why anyone would have the idea that Elway couldn't manage this is a mystery to me. It's basically a CEO position, only it's called "General Manager" in the NFL. Elway would make a great CEO, and has a pretty good resume for it.

crush17
12-03-2010, 04:56 PM

FALSE

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_sVueLdSWRdo/SK4gHGfoq2I/AAAAAAAAAKs/CKJrrIQyj7c/s400/dwight_schrute.jpg

Hamrob
12-03-2010, 04:57 PM
We've put up with a kid like Josh McDaniels for 2yrs. We gave him a shot.

Why wouldn't we give John Elway a shot.

Are you people out of your ****ing heads?

It's JOHN ****ING ELWAY for craps sake!!!!

orinjkrush
12-03-2010, 05:45 PM
i love the appearance that righting the management ship; is first priority for Bowlen.

always get people smarter than you around you. amazing things will happen.

Requiem
12-03-2010, 05:51 PM
How many drunks do we need in our front office?

Broncos_OTM
12-03-2010, 06:04 PM
we need to find some good scouts. If we were able to find them i would have no issue with Elway as a GM

Chris
12-03-2010, 07:44 PM
How many people here have bought a car from John Elway auto nation? Did it run? That is all we need.

footstepsfrom#27
12-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Do you people forget that Elway was a economics major at Stanford? We arn't talking about some state school and the only business that John has failed at was the MVP.com thing with MJ and Wane. He said himself that he doesnt have the experience to be the personel guy, but if you make him VP of football operations let him put a team together to right the ship with John as the face of the franchise I would help alot. Especially since xanders and ellis dont seem to want to comment on things bronco related.
Let me understand this...you want Elway to eclipse Josh McDaniels as the "face" of the franchise, while doing something (putting a team together) that was McDaniels job already, something he also admits he's got no experioence at. This will work because he went to Stanford right?

Nicademus...you come down from there! ;D

TDmvp
12-03-2010, 08:08 PM

Dude you're bat$hit on this one , his estimated net worth is somewhere between 50-100 million dollars.

Some stories say Him and Fran Tarkenton are two of the most successful NFL players ever financially in their post NFL lives.

And I don't care if John just wants to come hang out on the side lines and drank beer and be marry HE's John Fing Elway and he can do what ever he pleases.
He has carte blanche.

Inkana7
12-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Dude you're bat$hit on this one , his estimated net worth is somewhere between 50-100 million dollars.

Some stories say Him and Fran Tarkenton are two of the most successful NFL players ever financially in their post NFL lives.

And I don't care if John just wants to come hang out on the side lines and drank beer and be marry HE's John Fing Elway and he can do what ever he pleases.
He has carte blanche.

Yeah, he's been successful, but hasn't he also been scammed like twice?

footstepsfrom#27
12-03-2010, 08:38 PM
I don't know why people doubt Elway as a GM. The guy ran a successful car empire while he was quarterbacking a team.
Exactly...while he was STILL on the team, virtual proof that he didn't "run" them so much as own them. In '97 when he sold 5 of them, does anyone seriously think he was spending time on that after practice? There's also this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/John-Elway-invested-15-million-in-a-Ponzi-schem?urn=nfl-276931

Just sayin...

Homer Simpson
12-03-2010, 08:40 PM

He has carte blanche.

And his restaurant makes a pretty good steak!

footstepsfrom#27
12-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Yeah, he's been successful, but hasn't he also been scammed like twice?
15 mill in a ponzi scheme...whats the other one?

Kaylore
12-03-2010, 08:47 PM
I don't know why people doubt Elway as a GM.
I agree. Owning a car dealership for a decade and then having an indoor football team eventually fold certainly teaches most, if not all of the skill set needed to be a top tier GM. He's been out of football for years, which makes for a fresh perspective. Of course he has never worked in a personnel department ever, and he just recently said he couldn't be a GM, but those things aside, his resume' is exactly what every owner in the NFL looks for in a quality GM.

Homer Simpson
12-03-2010, 08:51 PM
I agree. Owning a car dealership for a decade and then having an indoor football team eventually fold certainly teaches most, if not all of the skill set needed to be a top tier GM. He's been out of football for years, which makes for a fresh perspective. Of course he has never worked in a personnel department ever, and he just recently said he couldn't be a GM, but those things aside, his resume' is exactly what every owner in the NFL looks for in a quality GM.

http://www.animated-gif.net/wp-content/uploads/191/sarcasm-detector.gif

footstepsfrom#27
12-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Josh would love having Elway looking over his shoulder. I'm sure he'd relish the challenge of showing everyone how non-threatened he is by having to pass his personnel decisions past a gate keeper who casts the largest shadow in team history...no problem.

~Crash~
12-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Put Elway in as VP of Ops; get a real GM that knows personnel and contract structures and then one of two things would need to happen:
1) take control of the coaching choices and get vetted coordinators that can teach talent and get the most out of them - forcing McD to be either a HC and act like one (not like an over-extended OC which he is acting like now) or to leave and . .
2) eliminate McD and let Elway go tap the shoulder of the guy I think he wants - Harbaugh - who is a Stanford chum and a guy who knows the impact of surrounding himself with better coaches than he is; allowing him to do the things a real HC should do.

great post

~Crash~
12-03-2010, 08:57 PM

so I take you would like to keep a guy that has no NFL experience as VP over Football operations , over the Broncos .sounds like a plan ...dip ****.

Inkana7
12-03-2010, 09:01 PM
so I take you would like to keep a guy that has no NFL experience over the Broncos .sounds like a plan ...dip ****.

Josh now has 2 more years of NFL experience running a team than John Elway.

Christ.

Los Broncos
12-03-2010, 09:03 PM
And his restaurant makes a pretty good steak!

I like the steaming shrimp.

~Crash~
12-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Josh now has 2 more years of NFL experience running a team than John Elway.

Christ.

reread the first post no one is talking GM. VP is what is being talked about. some one to keep the football team going in the right direction. the guy we got now is a CEO that knows squat about Football let alone the NFL

Taco John
12-03-2010, 10:00 PM

Elway would be an executive GM. He wouldn't be the one doing the player evaluation. He'd be the one managing the front office, and hiring the player evaluators. This isn't rocket science here. There's no reason to believe that Elway couldn't hire smart people in the organization to do things like player evaluation, and then facilitate the draft.

I mean, Josh McDaniels and Brian Xanders are the guys doing this stuff now. Why should anyone believe that Elway couldn't be a good executive at the top?

Meck77
12-03-2010, 10:07 PM
15 mill in a ponzi scheme...whats the other one?

Elway actually only lost a reported 2-3 million. The total scheme was supposedly 15m.

You got to realize when you are playing in the 100+M arena losing a couple percent is relative to anyone else getting scammed 5k or even less.

HAT
12-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Elway would be an executive GM. He wouldn't be the one doing the player evaluation. He'd be the one managing the front office, and hiring the player evaluators. This isn't rocket science here. There's no reason to believe that Elway couldn't hire smart people in the organization to do things like player evaluation, and then facilitate the draft.

I mean, Josh McDaniels and Brian Xanders are the guys doing this stuff now. Why should anyone believe that Elway couldn't be a good executive at the top?

So if I have this correct....Taco wants Kubiak for HC, Elway for GM and Wade for DC? Is that about right? You guys think Shanny would come back as OC?

TDmvp
12-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Elway actually only lost a reported 2-3 million. The total scheme was supposedly 15m.

You got to realize when you are playing in the 100+M arena losing a couple percent is relative to anyone else getting scammed 5k or even less.

yea Meck I keep hearing people throw that figure around that he lost 15m , but I read he had given them 15 and lost 3ish and the rest was returned , thx for confirming what I read. I though maybe with most people here being from Denver they was hearing better info then me or something...

But yea when you have 100mil you are making so much in interest losing 3 million wouldn't even make you flinch.

strafen
12-03-2010, 10:48 PM
Elway knows football.
He will be a huge asset to the Broncos in just about any capacity
I see him at the CEO level -if he's brought in- with powerful voice in most aspects of the football team...

footstepsfrom#27
12-03-2010, 10:50 PM

Right...$3 million from what I read, but the amount really isn't the issue in a discussion about proficiency in business. The issue on the table IMO was judgement. Fair or unfair...going after a job like this puts everything you've done under the microscope.

strafen
12-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Right...$3 million from what I read, but the amount really isn't the issue in a discussion about proficiency in business. The issue on the table IMO was judgement. Fair or unfair...going after a job like this puts everything you've done under the microscope.I see your point.
Elway does not have an impeccable resume.
However, I can see him succeeding in the NFL
The NFL is something Elway knows and he's a powerful figure

Taco John
12-03-2010, 11:00 PM
So if I have this correct....Taco wants Kubiak for HC, Elway for GM and Wade for DC? Is that about right? You guys think Shanny would come back as OC?

I would want Elway as VP of Football Operations, not necessarily VP. Xanders can still be in charge of getting Dominoes for the scouting meetings, and setting the lawn sprinklers.

Is there anyone on this forum who wouldn't take Wade as DC right about now?

footstepsfrom#27
12-03-2010, 11:01 PM
I see your point.
Elway does not have an impeccable resume.
However, I can see him succeeding in the NFL
The NFL is something Elway knows and he's a powerful figure
Agreed. I think he would be a definite asset, but I'd prefer he work in the organization at least a couple years getting familiar with the inner workings of the team and build up to a position like GM.

Bronco Yoda
12-03-2010, 11:16 PM
I would let John do whatever he felt qualified to do....even felt very strongly about becoming qualified. I'd let the Duke fill out his own job description.

gyldenlove
12-04-2010, 10:02 AM
The only position I would like Elway to have with this team is assistant GM with no executive powers, he could be involved in scouting, contract negotiations and management but would have to defer to the GM or VP on any decision making. Give him 3 or 4 years doing that, building up experience, a network, knowledge and to see if he really wants it and then hire him. Like Steve Yzerman did in Detroit, you gotta pay your dues before we hand over the keys.

Tombstone RJ
12-04-2010, 10:28 AM
I would want Elway as VP of Football Operations, not necessarily VP. Xanders can still be in charge of getting Dominoes for the scouting meetings, and setting the lawn sprinklers.

changes are definitely coming, the question is how? Is Bowlen gonna do what is right for the long term well being of this franchise and hire real GM and then bring Elway in as a part owner, VP of Football Operations (and Media Relations PR guy extraordinaire) and then keep McD as HC. Let the GM have all final say on coaching staff, draft players, FA's and tades) and let Elway be in on all the meetings, allowing Elway some real training. Let GM, HC and VPoFO meet weekly, if not dailey on the progress of the team. HC needs to learn how to manage his staff and the GM and Elway can help him tremendously.

work the problem people!

Tombstone RJ
12-04-2010, 10:30 AM
I should be a paid consultant for the Broncos...

yerner
12-04-2010, 10:42 AM
If he can tell Mcd not to give up a 4th rounder for Maroney he is qualified. Do it.

Rausch 2.0
12-04-2010, 10:55 AM

Mostly because they retire rich and never coach...

zdoor
12-04-2010, 10:57 AM
I'd be totally on board with Elway as the VP of football operations. I think he's earned a **** at pretty much whatever he wants within the Broncos organization.

zdoor
12-04-2010, 10:58 AM
If Bowlen wants to keep McD around this kind of move will buy him some time...

HAT
12-04-2010, 11:24 AM

I don't want him in Denver in any capacity.

HAT
12-04-2010, 11:28 AM
If he can tell Mcd not to give up a 4th rounder for Maroney he is qualified. Do it.

Link?

Oh nevermind, you meant Maroney and swapping the 4th & 6th....Right?

yerner
12-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Link?

Oh nevermind, you meant Maroney and swapping the 4th & 6th....Right?

Yeah. I forgot about a 6th. For some reason that deal is the one that makes me the most sick. It was just so pointless.

oubronco
12-04-2010, 01:32 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:VvfuhWEK7lg2IM:http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n220/cherizzledizzle/PissOnChiefs.jpg&t=1

broncocalijohn
12-03-2011, 12:33 AM
Just reading old threads and spotted this one. Anyone's opinion then changed now?

Kaylore
12-03-2011, 12:46 AM
Just reading old threads and spotted this one. Anyone's opinion then changed now?

Well their draft looks pretty good. I mean not blowing the second overall pick, and getting what looks like the best player there builds my confidence. He's had quite a few PR issues, and we missed on some free agents, but his positives outweigh his problems at this point. Time will tell.

BabyTO
12-03-2011, 01:07 AM
that clown cant even handle what he's doing NOW (which is nothing basically). elway has no idea what a GM is supposed to do. he thinks this is fantasy football or something. go run around, talk on twitter and act like you're important, you dont know **** and i pray to god this guy never ever becomes a GM for this team. that would be the end of this franchise...

Taco John
12-03-2011, 01:10 AM
that clown cant even handle what he's doing NOW (which is nothing basically). elway has no idea what a GM is supposed to do. he thinks this is fantasy football or something. go run around, talk on twitter and act like you're important, you dont know **** and i pray to god this guy never ever becomes a GM for this team. that would be the end of this franchise...

I can only believe this is like an over the top parody account.

BabyTO
12-03-2011, 02:46 AM
yeah since elway has proven himself to be very competent.

"man BUNKNEE + HARDY are great players!!!! excited to have them!!!"

LOL

yeah thats our soon to be GM :)

DBroncos4life
12-03-2011, 03:15 AM
I can only believe this is like an over the top parody account.

Well its good for traffic..._if only you knew someone that can do something about it?

Jay3
12-03-2011, 04:20 AM

We can now see the entire context, that Elway's going after the job was because of an impassioned desire to sabotage Tebow. :D

Broncbow
12-03-2011, 05:37 AM
We can now see the entire context, that Elway's going after the job was because of an impassioned desire to sabotage Tebow. :D

Elway betrayed the trust Josh McDaniels afforded him. Is there no wonder now why Shanahan kept the back stabbing traitor out.

Furthermore Elway has not been competant, you do not get rid of your No.1 and No.2 receivers in this league, prior to having receivers on your who have emerged as No.1 and No.2 receivers. Especially prior to an young QB taking over the helm without his seasoned vet at receiver. That is about as incompetant as you can get, but it gets better.

You do not keep your former starter on the team for two months and then waive him as soon as your division rival and scheduled opponent lose their starting QB so he can go and play for them, this while leaving you without a decent back up QB while heading to the playoffs with a scheme that is seemingly designed to hurt the QB rather than develope his passing game.

Elway should not get any credit whatsoever for Von Miller, considering it was McDaniels who had all alonged sucked last year as far as wins go, in order to get one more draft to position this team for a dynasty. Thing is while sucking McDaniels still managed to keep this team copetetive knowing no matter how competetive it got, Orton would still find a way to land him yet another high draft pick.

All in all this is McDaniels team, minus two of its most important weapons on offense, there is a reason this offense is ranked as one of the worst in the league, this is Elways fault. Elway has done more to make this team worse than it could have been with McDaniels than make it better.

Elway betrayed McDaniels, and he has also betrayed Broncos fan with his endeavor ostacize Tebow than give him all the support he deserves. From the lacck of support tebow has had, to the two clowns being in an apology tour the past two weeks for their demonization antics.

This offense took a huge step backwards this season, fact of the matter is, it took this primitive step backwards step by design. Refusing to pass the ball unless the team is behind is the ultimate reality of that design. While the rushing offense gets the Lions share of optimal playing Time, Tebow is relegated to nothing more than crum of the optimal playing time that exists outside of haivng to predictably pass it from behind.

This treatment, that has Tebow passing it only 3 times in 4 drives of OT, despite protecting the football better than any QB in the league, to the treatement of only allowing him to pass it one time per game on average when we are not behind, speaks volumes in regards of Elways endeavor of not only putting the breaks on Tebows passing game, but relagating him to scraps when we are not behind.

Tebow has been wining with this scrap offense, he would indeed be shinning had he been afforded amodern offense that properly scheme and adjusts to the opponent, rather than begging tebow to win it in the end, after getting scraps all game long.

Tebow has been winning with despite having Elway give him scraps to win with. The sabotage is not a conspiracy, but a revelation for those who insist to keep their blinders on regarding it. I say we scrap this scrappy offense and get with the program of executing a real Normal modern NFL offense for just once in Tebows last 6 1/2 starts. He has yet to attempt to implement a modern Era offense, he did not do too shabby of a job last season with with his endeavor to exewcute it in his first three games. He threw for over 300 yards in the game he won last season.

Tebow can win with the most primitive offense in the league, how much more could he do running a mnormal modern era offense? This is what Elway is putting the breaks on, this is what he does not want you to see. And that is obvious as night and day regardless of the unfounded excuses as to why. It is what it is, Elway and John Fox have betrayed this fan base by refusing to develope Tebows passing game in the most optimal conditions possible, in fact that have taken a direct and opposite approach, and that by definition is sabotage.

Garcia Bronco
12-03-2011, 05:39 AM
Elway is doing a great job.

Dukes
12-03-2011, 05:45 AM

Still sure about that? He's done a hell of a job in Houston.

ColoradoDarin
12-03-2011, 06:16 AM
I think I'd rather have Elway in the owner's box than GM. Some sort of VP would be good though.

Pretty smart guy there!

I still don't want Elway as GM but his input has likely been positive, and he's got a bit to learn on the PR side of things. He's a rookie and I'm willing to give him some time to grow into it.

bowtown
12-03-2011, 06:32 AM
Elway betrayed the trust Josh McDaniels afforded him. Is there no wonder now why Shanahan kept the back stabbing traitor out.

Furthermore Elway has not been competant, you do not get rid of your No.1 and No.2 receivers in this league, prior to having receivers on your who have emerged as No.1 and No.2 receivers. Especially prior to an young QB taking over the helm without his seasoned vet at receiver. That is about as incompetant as you can get, but it gets better.

You do not keep your former starter on the team for two months and then waive him as soon as your division rival and scheduled opponent lose their starting QB so he can go and play for them, this while leaving you without a decent back up QB while heading to the playoffs with a scheme that is seemingly designed to hurt the QB rather than develope his passing game.

Elway should not get any credit whatsoever for Von Miller, considering it was McDaniels who had all alonged sucked last year as far as wins go, in order to get one more draft to position this team for a dynasty. Thing is while sucking McDaniels still managed to keep this team copetetive knowing no matter how competetive it got, Orton would still find a way to land him yet another high draft pick.

All in all this is McDaniels team, minus two of its most important weapons on offense, there is a reason this offense is ranked as one of the worst in the league, this is Elways fault. Elway has done more to make this team worse than it could have been with McDaniels than make it better.

Elway betrayed McDaniels, and he has also betrayed Broncos fan with his endeavor ostacize Tebow than give him all the support he deserves. From the lacck of support tebow has had, to the two clowns being in an apology tour the past two weeks for their demonization antics.

This offense took a huge step backwards this season, fact of the matter is, it took this primitive step backwards step by design. Refusing to pass the ball unless the team is behind is the ultimate reality of that design. While the rushing offense gets the Lions share of optimal playing Time, Tebow is relegated to nothing more than crum of the optimal playing time that exists outside of haivng to predictably pass it from behind.

This treatment, that has Tebow passing it only 3 times in 4 drives of OT, despite protecting the football better than any QB in the league, to the treatement of only allowing him to pass it one time per game on average when we are not behind, speaks volumes in regards of Elways endeavor of not only putting the breaks on Tebows passing game, but relagating him to scraps when we are not behind.

Tebow has been wining with this scrap offense, he would indeed be shinning had he been afforded amodern offense that properly scheme and adjusts to the opponent, rather than begging tebow to win it in the end, after getting scraps all game long.

Tebow has been winning with despite having Elway give him scraps to win with. The sabotage is not a conspiracy, but a revelation for those who insist to keep their blinders on regarding it. I say we scrap this scrappy offense and get with the program of executing a real Normal modern NFL offense for just once in Tebows last 6 1/2 starts. He has yet to attempt to implement a modern Era offense, he did not do too shabby of a job last season with with his endeavor to exewcute it in his first three games. He threw for over 300 yards in the game he won last season.

Tebow can win with the most primitive offense in the league, how much more could he do running a mnormal modern era offense? This is what Elway is putting the breaks on, this is what he does not want you to see. And that is obvious as night and day regardless of the unfounded excuses as to why. It is what it is, Elway and John Fox have betrayed this fan base by refusing to develope Tebows passing game in the most optimal conditions possible, in fact that have taken a direct and opposite approach, and that by definition is sabotage.

Coming to get you...

Smilin Assassin
12-03-2011, 06:53 AM

My biggest hope is that the people that actually believe this, are only the one's posting it here.

Embarrassing to think people would think the typical Broncos fan thinks this way.

*sighs*

vonqkilla
12-03-2011, 06:56 AM
Broncobow makes me afraid to go out in public, fact there are people out there like that. Www.google.com/mentalinstitutions

Did your roommate refuse to shave your back today?

strafen
12-03-2011, 07:04 AM
Dude, is assHAT what you expect? ROFL!

strafen
12-03-2011, 07:05 AM
wait, wut?

HAT
12-03-2011, 07:11 AM

100% never more sure. Denver's D is doing just fine thank you. **** Wade Phillips.

Powderaddict
12-03-2011, 07:20 AM
What football executive makes perfect decisions all of the time? Plus, we have no idea if and what budget constraints he has.

I think he made a great coaching hire, the FA brought in are for the most part contributing, and Denver is a much better team then they were last year.

He may need PR lessons on how to deal with the lunatic Tebow fanatics, but he's learning as well. So far I'd give him a "B". Which is a huge step up from where we were in the previous decade.

burt
12-03-2011, 07:21 AM

THis is what I was kinda thinking!

BabyTO
12-03-2011, 10:31 AM
What football executive makes perfect decisions all of the time? Plus, we have no idea if and what budget constraints he has.

I think he made a great coaching hire, the FA brought in are for the most part contributing, and Denver is a much better team then they were last year.

He may need PR lessons on how to deal with the lunatic Tebow fanatics, but he's learning as well. So far I'd give him a "B". Which is a huge step up from where we were in the previous decade.
B? for what? what exactly is his job? he's not doing **** except for responding to kids on twitter and make dumb comments on nfl network. the opposite to lunatic tebow fantatics are lunatic elway fanatics. don't act like you're any better, you're just as stupid if not dumber than that other bunch. at least the tebow bunch can point to our record and the affect tebow had on this team. what exactly is your evidence that elway is doing a good job at whatever it is he has to do?

great coaching hire? john fox? Hilarious!
everybody wanted him gone before tebow saved his ass. most people still want him gone.

great FA pickups? when did elway become our GM? and how come he doesn't even know the names of the players he (according to you) brought in or helped bring in? you're delusional! elway doesn't know **** about the players. he's a former football player and not a pro scout. i guarantee you i could name more current broncos without checking the roster than he does. who the hell are bunknee and hardy?

this team is much better? seems to me like just a couple months ago when orton was starting this team was arguably the worst in the entire nfl. suddenly tebow plays, turns our season around and of course the elway bunch is gonna credit elway for our success now when all he did was make dumb comments and distract during the week when we were winning, and not open his stupid mouth ONE time when we were losing and heading towards that #1 overall pick.

elway has been NOTHING BUT a distraction thus far. this team would be better off without him

broncocalijohn
12-03-2011, 12:15 PM
My biggest hope is that the people that actually believe this, are only the one's posting it here.

Embarrassing to think people would think the typical Broncos fan thinks this way.

*sighs*

He isnt a fan. He is a carpetbagger riding the coattails of Tebow.

Powderaddict
12-03-2011, 12:40 PM
B? for what? what exactly is his job? he's not doing **** except for responding to kids on twitter and make dumb comments on nfl network. the opposite to lunatic tebow fantatics are lunatic elway fanatics. don't act like you're any better, you're just as stupid if not dumber than that other bunch. at least the tebow bunch can point to our record and the affect tebow had on this team. what exactly is your evidence that elway is doing a good job at whatever it is he has to do?

great coaching hire? john fox? Hilarious!
everybody wanted him gone before tebow saved his ass. most people still want him gone.

great FA pickups? when did elway become our GM? and how come he doesn't even know the names of the players he (according to you) brought in or helped bring in? you're delusional! elway doesn't know **** about the players. he's a former football player and not a pro scout. i guarantee you i could name more current broncos without checking the roster than he does. who the hell are bunknee and hardy?

this team is much better? seems to me like just a couple months ago when orton was starting this team was arguably the worst in the entire nfl. suddenly tebow plays, turns our season around and of course the elway bunch is gonna credit elway for our success now when all he did was make dumb comments and distract during the week when we were winning, and not open his stupid mouth ONE time when we were losing and heading towards that #1 overall pick.

elway has been NOTHING BUT a distraction thus far. this team would be better off without him

I have liked Fox all year and was defending him even when I hated the fact I had to watch Orton.

Although I don't know why I'm even bothering to reply to this obvious poor attempt at trolling. And I've been called much worse than an Elway fanboi by much worse people LOL