PDA

View Full Version : OT - FIFA are a bunch of gutless drunks!!

SleepingTiger
12-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Sorry everyone, but I'm so pissed off right now. What other nation can host the world cup on the level the US can? WTF, the African continent gets to host the world cup twice in 12years?

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news;_ylt=Ar3dQOKxSnZU6vSy6UU7hFkmw7YF?slug=ro-worldcupvote120210

Qatar’s victory in the race to be awarded the 2022 World Cup was a triumph for spin over substance and leaves a black mark on FIFA’s already-besmirched name.

In the hours after Thursday’s announcement in Zurich, soccer’s governing body attempted to laud its decision as a bold step into new territory, a choice rich in foresight and legacy and adventurous spirit. In reality, it is perhaps the greatest folly of an organization that is so messed up that it can’t help but tarnish its reputation further with boneheaded decisions made for all the wrong reasons.

[Photos: FIFA World Cup decision]

Other Popular Sports StoriesPhoto: Michael Jordan's massive new home Soccer player punches teammate in face in celebration More From Martin RogersFIFA playing favorites with World Cup bids Dec 1, 2010 Mourinho suffers his greatest humiliation Nov 29, 2010 AdChoices

Former U.S. President Bill Clinton was on hand for America's final bid push and FIFA's announcement.

(Michael Regan /Getty Photo)
The United States made a solid push and played things straight down the line. However, it found that its guarantee of a hugely profitable tournament and a stadium and transportation infrastructure that is second to none wasn’t enough.

This is not a homer opinion. The criticism of the Qatar decision does not stem from sour grapes. If the U.S. bid was not going to be selected, Australia’s was the only logical other choice.

Which all begs the question: Why Qatar?

At best, the FIFA executive committee voters were whimsical enough to be sold on a dream that has little footing in reality. The sales pitch was one of gleaming, futuristic stadiums, a foothold in the uncharted soccer waters of the Middle East and the chance for FIFA to blaze a trail by embracing a fast-emerging economic power.

[Watch: Grand plans for island stadium]

Yet there were so many reasons working against Qatar that FIFA and its members managed to conveniently ignore – such as the heat, which will force fans and players to endure temperatures soaring over 100 degrees during the tournament. Or the impracticality of hosting a global event in a nation with only one major city. Or the security risks of staging it in the midst of a politically unstable region.

All those fears were magically washed away by the millions spent by Qatar on its slick campaign, which – whatever your allegiance – must be considered an epic achievement in public relations.

Qatar went all out, throwing money at star names such as Zinedine Zidane in exchange for their public backing. The spending was lavish but well directed. Clever, stylish presentations and savvy political negotiating got them over the line.

The funding for Qatar’s bid came from its ruling family and its Emir, Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa al Thani, a man with no shortage of cash or ambition for his tiny nation. The brains behind it belong to Mohamed bin Hammam, the Asian Football Confederation president who quickly saw an opening in aligning himself to the powerful axis of South American and Asian voters who supported the Spain-Portugal bid for 2018. That voting bloc couldn’t get Spain-Portugal past Russia for 2018 but was more than enough to see off the United States and Australia for 2022.

There were understandable scenes of joy, both from the Qatari contingent in Zurich and from those in the Middle Eastern state. But there was also the overbearing sense that this just makes FIFA look bad – as if it needed any help.

[Related: Obama: ‘Wrong decision’]

Even though Qatar and Spain-Portugal were cleared by an investigation into possible collusion, there will continue to be many who suspect that some form of underhanded dealings took place. Others will worry about Qatar’s political alliance with Iran and the messages that sends. And there could be a worrying social aspect to the 2022 World Cup, with Qatari women still suffering from routine sexual discrimination.

For the United States, this is an opportunity lost. But it is hard to find fault with the bid put together by U.S. Soccer chief Sunil Gulati and backed by luminaries such as Bill Clinton and Morgan Freeman. It was clean – squeaky-clean – and seemed to tick all the right boxes, but it wasn’t to be.

The Americans will probably try again for the 2026 tournament, but a revised voting formula means that decision may not take place for another eight years. By then, who knows how the States will stand in the soccer and political spheres?

FIFA has shown now that it won’t restrict itself to the established nations, and the Qatar upset will spark a lot more enterprising bids. That means that, despite the obvious financial benefits of bringing the tournament back to the States, it is not going to get any easier for the Americans.

The hardest part of all? Second-guessing FIFA and working out what drives the strange characters who occupy its positions of power. It is a secret that Qatar figured out and used to claim soccer’s biggest prize of all.

Martin Rogers is a staff writer for Yahoo! Sports. Follow him on Twitter.
Send Martin a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

SonOfLe-loLang
12-02-2010, 02:02 PM
If you needed more proof that the world doesnt like america much, here it is,

then again, anytime you can put the world cup in a middle eastern country with zero soccer tradition, barely any infrastructure (only promises of these state of the art stadiums), a tiny population, and sweltering summers...well ya gotta do it.

Bronco Yoda
12-02-2010, 02:04 PM
It's like a 120 in the shade there in the summer.

They'll get what they asked for.

I think it's funnier than shiat.

bronco militia
12-02-2010, 02:11 PM
"OH NO, SOCCER SUCKS AGAIN"

http://buckeyebanter.com/images/football/wesuckagain.jpg

gyldenlove
12-02-2010, 02:14 PM
FIFA is probably only second to IOC when it comes to corruption.

Sepp Blatter is the ultimate douchebag, he was put in power by south and central america and africa, and ever since then he has been pumping bribe money that way like crazy. Putting the world cup in Qatar is just the latest idiocy.

Smiling Assassin27
12-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Damn, we shoulda sent our King, er, President to go speak on our behalf.

Sincerely,

The Chicago 2016 Olympic Committee

SleepingTiger
12-02-2010, 02:28 PM

I think it's funnier than shiat.

injury time will be like 30 minutes because of players cramping up every 5 minutes

Killericon
12-02-2010, 02:31 PM

Sincerely,

Are you for real with this?

cutthemdown
12-02-2010, 02:34 PM
This world cup will be a disaster. The exploit immigrant asian and african workers there like you wouldn't believe. I can't wait to read the stories of what they are going to have to do to get all those stadiums built.

I don't really care because I hate the sport and find it boring. Still though it would make more money and be seen by more people in the States or even the Outback.

Not to mention Qatar doesn't go hard after terrorists. They may end up wishing they had not asked for all this attention. They oppress women and immigrants like it's the dark ages.

UKBronco
12-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Having spent several months in nearby Oman - god help the poor sods who have to run around for 90 minutes.

Of course, I'm also completely not bitter about the fact that 2 of the biggest oil/gas richest nations in the world seem to have bought themselves a World Cup to host.

grrrr.........

At least I would have visited the US for the World Cup - I'll be buggered if I'm heading back that direction in the near future.

cutthemdown
12-02-2010, 02:35 PM

If you mean is he making a joke refrencing how Obama made a pitch for the Olympics and it didn't matter then yes he is for real.

cutthemdown
12-02-2010, 02:36 PM
Having spent several months in nearby Oman - god help the poor sods who have to run around for 90 minutes.

Of course, I'm also completely not bitter about the fact that 2 of the biggest oil/gas richest nations in the world seem to have bought themselves a World Cup to host.

grrrr.........

At least I would have visited the US for the World Cup - I'll be buggered if I'm heading back that direction in the near future.

UK losing to Russia for the next one is almost just as bad.

cutthemdown
12-02-2010, 02:36 PM
Hopefully the war against Christianity will be over by then.

Jens1893
12-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Sorry everyone, but I'm so pissed off right now. What other nation can host the world cup on the level the US can? WTF, the African continent gets to host the world cup twice in 12years?

Ummmm, geography fail on your part there.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-02-2010, 03:02 PM

Sincerely,

Just can't keep your politics out of any thread, can you?

"Here's a thread about soccer! Hmmm... oooh, I've got it! King Obama! Strong take: Brought."

Rohirrim
12-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Anything that keeps soccer away from our shores is okay by me. :thumbs:

DHallblows
12-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Just can't keep your politics out of any thread, can you?

"Here's a thread about soccer! Hmmm... oooh, I've got it! King Obama! Strong take: Brought."

Seriously. I knew I'd have to read through ignorant "Soccer sucks" comments, but random, foolish political comments, too? :unamused:

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Seriously. I knew I'd have to read through ignorant "Soccer sucks" comments, but random, foolish political comments, too? :unamused:

I'm gonna try.

"Giving Qatar the World Cup is like having Sarah Palin head up a mental health task force. Completely unqualified, not suitable to the venue, and you just know it's going to end badly."

How's that?

Smiling Assassin27
12-02-2010, 03:11 PM

No, you're imagining things. Carry on. :pimp:

Miss I.
12-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Well that's just bizarre. The World Cup held here before was such a massive success. Why the hell would anyone go to Qatar? A place where civil rights are seriously infrigned. Hello ladies, I am sorry you can't visit unless you give up your civil rights and if you are gay well we are just going to throw you in jail. What a stupid choice for a World Cup venue.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/dec/02/world-cup-2022-qatar-winning-bid

Well at least 2014 is in Brazil which should be a hell of a lot of fun to watch. That is a country that loves its football.

Mile High Shack
12-02-2010, 03:35 PM

Sincerely,

http://www.epicfail.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/wtf-fail-boobs.jpg

Smiling Assassin27
12-02-2010, 03:42 PM
http://www.epicfail.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/wtf-fail-boobs.jpg

yeah, i really should've used 'Emir' instead of King. The Emir of Qatar was in Zurich greasing the wheels, which probably explains why he got the World Cup from FIFA.

Al Wilson
12-02-2010, 03:46 PM
If you needed more proof that the world doesnt like america much, here it is,

then again, anytime you can put the world cup in a middle eastern country with zero soccer tradition, barely any infrastructure (only promises of these state of the art stadiums), a tiny population, and sweltering summers...well ya gotta do it.
That is 100 % false. Matter of fact, Middle Eastern countries breathe football. Check out the infrastructure in UAE and Qatar, it's top class. Qatar is a country on the rise for the past 15 years.

Smiling Assassin27
12-02-2010, 03:53 PM
That is 100 % false. Matter of fact, Middle Eastern countries breathe football. Check out the infrastructure in UAE and Qatar, it's top class. Qatar is a country on the rise for the past 15 years.

2nd highest per capita income of any nation on Earth...

SonOfLe-loLang
12-02-2010, 04:00 PM

They have a whole three stadiums and need to build 9 more...which then they will apparently disesemble and move to other countries. Between that, the horribly hot summers (i know the stadiums will be air conditioned, but what about when crowds are, you know, not in the stadiums), the conservative nature of the culture, the fact that the tourists will outnumber the population...its absurd. And yes, they may like soccer in qatar, but lets not go overboard and say its a soccer hot bed.

And there's this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQLylizGmDs
:)

kappys
12-02-2010, 04:04 PM

I almost spit my coke out on the keyboard - Even my 4 year old nephew would score on that one. That might be some of the worst goalkeeping in history as well - wouldn't want to short change the Uzbeki's

I suppose watching their national team get completely dismantled will be mildly amusing.

I am curious what Quatar plans to offer tourists for food, lodging, entertainment away from sports venues - you know things other than walking around in a sandpit.

Al Wilson
12-02-2010, 04:19 PM
They have a whole three stadiums and need to build 9 more...which then they will apparently disesemble and move to other countries. Between that, the horribly hot summers (i know the stadiums will be air conditioned, but what about when crowds are, you know, not in the stadiums), the conservative nature of the culture, the fact that the tourists will outnumber the population...its absurd. And yes, they may like soccer in qatar, but lets not go overboard and say its a soccer hot bed.

I've seen that clip, it is hilarious. I didn't mention Qatar, but Middle East as a whole loves football.

They are more than capable of building 9 stadiums in 12 years. This country is oil rich, and its economy has been on the rise for the past 15 years. They got the green to do it.

I do agree with you about the summer temperatures and it will be a BIG factor. It reaches around 55 degrees celsius during the month of July around that area, and I don't think anyone is going to be enoying it :D

Smiling Assassin27
12-02-2010, 04:25 PM
One of the things they touted in their proposal was this new technology they've been developing which is a zero carbon air conditioning system to keep stadiums cool. Will be interesting to see if it works on such a large scale or not.

They've committed like $50B to any infrastructure needs they may have, so it's not like they don't have cash. I think the cultural issues are going to pose a bigger issue than the economic ones. Those bikini clad bombshells we see regularly in the stands elsewhere might not be well received in Qatar.

Al Wilson
12-02-2010, 04:28 PM
I think the cultural issues are going to pose a bigger issue than the economic ones. Those bikini clad bombshells we see regularly in the stands elsewhere might not be well received in Qatar.
I don't think that will be an issue. This is a world event we're talking about. And Qatar is in no way comparable to KSA or Yemen or Afghanistan. It's more similar to Dubai (UAE) cultural wise as there are many foreigners currently in the country. It's more developed than some people think.

SleepingTiger
12-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Ummmm, geography fail on your part there.

ok, so its asia... damn, its close to africa isn't it??

SonOfLe-loLang
12-02-2010, 04:30 PM
I've seen that clip, it is hilarious. I didn't mention Qatar, but Middle East as a whole loves football.

They are more than capable of building 9 stadiums in 12 years. This country is oil rich, and its economy has been on the rise for the past 15 years. They got the green to do it.

I do agree with you about the summer temperatures and it will be a BIG factor. It reaches around 55 degrees celsius during the month of July around that area, and I don't think anyone is going to be enoying it :D

I dont doubt their ability to build the stadiums, but if im fifa, i never want to trust my biggest event to something that is still such a work in progress. Economies can crash, ask Dubai (though, granted, their money is tied up in banking, not oil) ... it just is a really dubious idea.

Smiling Assassin27
12-02-2010, 04:31 PM
I don't think that will be an issue. This is a world event we're talking about. And Qatar is in no way comparable to KSA or Yemen or Afghanistan. It's more similar to Dubai (UAE) cultural wise as there are many foreigners currently in the country. It's more developed than some people think.

Cool. Do you see any potential issues regarding dress codes and limited access to liquor there?

HAT
12-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Cool. Do you see any potential issues regarding dress codes and limited access to liquor there?

What could go wrong ???

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/bloodylamer/bastardly-photos/0505/album23/2006-world-cup-girls06130607.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/bloodylamer/bastardly-photos/0505/album23/2006-world-cup-girls06130613.jpg

http://www.soccernet.com/IMAGES/AH/bust0617_e.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d104/ankilien/brazilg242x3504nz.jpg

http://www.corriere.it/gallery/Extra/2006/germania06/germania06/germania06/tifo/ARGE.jpg

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/5701518_7_1.jpg

HAT
12-02-2010, 04:44 PM
I mean seriously?

http://www.barstoolsports.com/img/gallery/img4897d172aa01f.jpg

http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2008/01/hot%20chicks%20with%20douchebag.jpg

http://blog.turntablelab.com/sexy_soccer_fans_37.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_-4pzoWKlIc0/SlKCoXxwaQI/AAAAAAAABWM/lLKikF79YQQ/s400/sexy_england_soccer_fans.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_yRwc13pP-Ac/RlcoKIlkJxI/AAAAAAAAABc/eb8IvGd22Lk/s400/CZvsLT_hotGirl.jpg

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/9/5/633877354863797840-soccerfans.jpg

DenverBrit
12-02-2010, 04:47 PM
It will be a security nightmare.

SonOfLe-loLang
12-02-2010, 04:48 PM
I mean seriously?

God, do i miss Sweden

HAT
12-02-2010, 04:56 PM
God, do i miss Sweden

Me too & I've never been there. :thumbs:

Broncos_OTM
12-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Americans hate soccer. What would be the point. right?

Rock Chalk
12-02-2010, 06:15 PM
2nd highest per capita income of any nation on Earth...

Yeah, cuz there is like 10 people that are dumb enough to live there and they split billions in oil money. Shocker.

That One Guy
12-02-2010, 06:27 PM
I've never been in a large air conditioned stadium but I'm intrigued by that. I've been in plenty of places in that 130+ heat and it's hard to adequately air condition anything. Now, it might take it from dehydrated-in-20-mins heat to merely sweaty-and-miserable-always heat but it's not easy to get something cool and comfortable. The sun has more power and that's a lot of cool air to try and keep in.

Has anyone ever been to maybe an afternoon game in AZ in early fall? It's not quite as bad down there but definitely hot. Just curious if that's even reasonably possible.

kappys
12-02-2010, 06:34 PM
I've never been in a large air conditioned stadium but I'm intrigued by that. I've been in plenty of places in that 130+ heat and it's hard to adequately air condition anything. Now, it might take it from dehydrated-in-20-mins heat to merely sweaty-and-miserable-always heat but it's not easy to get something cool and comfortable. The sun has more power and that's a lot of cool air to try and keep in.

Has anyone ever been to maybe an afternoon game in AZ in early fall? It's not quite as bad down there but definitely hot. Just curious if that's even reasonably possible.

I'm with you on this. I landed in Oman back in 91 or 92 after a trip to India in the summer(where the temp got into 120 range) and we had to exit the plan on a stairwell and walk about 30 feet to a shaded area then inside - it hits you like a blast furnace even when acclimatized to heat. Its just impossible to think about anything but getting into the shade.

I would love to go to a world cup but I absolutely won't be going to Oman for one.

kappys
12-02-2010, 06:36 PM

There can't be any good views - in that kind of heat you need to keep covered - that sun is so intense you do not want it on bare skin.

atomicbloke
12-02-2010, 06:52 PM
I'm with you on this. I landed in Oman back in 91 or 92 after a trip to India in the summer(where the temp got into 120 range) and we had to exit the plan on a stairwell and walk about 30 feet to a shaded area then inside - it hits you like a blast furnace even when acclimatized to heat. Its just impossible to think about anything but getting into the shade.

I would love to go to a world cup but I absolutely won't be going to Oman for one.

Its in Qatar, not Oman which is a separate country.

And do you even remember how unbearably hot it was in USA 1994, when they played in Orlando? The USSF in its infinite wisdom had games kickoff at 12 noon in the Orlando and Dallas cauldrons so folks in Europe could watch in prime time. And those stadiums weren't air conditioned, were open air.

We all are disappointed, but lets just chill. 32 years is too recent to host the World Cup for a global sport like soccer. And its not a major sport here. Let other countries also get a chance to host, especially since they are much more passionate about the game than here. Its the World's game after all. Some folks are acting as if we have a God-given right to host every World Cup or Olympics we bid for and the other nations don't even exist.

chadta
12-02-2010, 07:00 PM

just because some of us think soccer sucks doesnt make us ignorant, id expect to see broad generalizations in the wrp forum.

That One Guy
12-02-2010, 07:04 PM

And do you even remember how unbearably hot it was in USA 1994, when they played in Orlando? The USSF in its infinite wisdom had games kickoff at 12 noon in the Orlando and Dallas cauldrons so folks in Europe could watch in prime time. And those stadiums weren't air conditioned, were open air.

We all are disappointed, but lets just chill. 32 years is too recent to host the World Cup for a global sport like soccer. And its not a major sport here. Let other countries also get a chance to host, especially since they are much more passionate about the game than here. Its the World's game after all. Some folks are acting as if we have a God-given right to host every World Cup or Olympics we bid for and the other nations don't even exist.

Humidity doesn't penetrate the way pure hot sun does.

EDIT: Didn't notice you mentioned Dallas as well. Don't know about that heat, it could be serious. Is it 130+ heat though?

And while I don't think we should host anything and everything, I don't think it's silly to question why a country like Qatar would win it. Socially, geographically, and (currently) structurally, they lack what should be expected of a host country. Was North Korea or Iran all booked up?

snowspot66
12-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Well that's just bizarre. The World Cup held here before was such a massive success. Why the hell would anyone go to Qatar? A place where civil rights are seriously infrigned. Hello ladies, I am sorry you can't visit unless you give up your civil rights and if you are gay well we are just going to throw you in jail. What a stupid choice for a World Cup venue.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/dec/02/world-cup-2022-qatar-winning-bid

Well at least 2014 is in Brazil which should be a hell of a lot of fun to watch. That is a country that loves its football.

They've got plenty of issues as well. Part of why I was so annoyed they got the Olympics there. I just don't think it will be ready in time.

Just look at India if you want to see how a growing but still shaky country with poor infrastructure handles an international event. I understand wanting to give other countries a shot at these events and would fully support if if not for the fact that they seem so intent on handing it out to anybody able to submit a proposal. It's just not a realistic time line. Look at all the problems and immense cost China had to pull off the Summer games in 2008. And their government can tell people to **** off if things aren't going well.

That One Guy
12-02-2010, 07:09 PM
But it's Brazil, man!

On a side topic, has anyone actually tried to put together an estimate of what it would cost to spend some time in Brazil during the World Cup? That'd be amazing but I'm curious of the costs.

atomicbloke
12-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Humidity doesn't penetrate the way pure hot sun does.

EDIT: Didn't notice you mentioned Dallas as well. Don't know about that heat, it could be serious. Is it 130+ heat though?

And while I don't think we should host anything and everything, I don't think it's silly to question why a country like Qatar would win it. Socially, geographically, and (currently) structurally, they lack what should be expected of a host country. Was North Korea or Iran all booked up?

Qatar is miles ahead of North Korea and Iran. Its not even a comparison.

Qatar is more like Dubai, where a lot of Americans and Europeans live very high quality lifestyles.

People are taking all the social ills of extremist muslim nations and generalizing it to Qatar. I guess its fueled by disappointment by losing out and the British and American press is having a field day berating Qatar, but lets not go overboard.

Its the only bid that wouldn't need their country to go into debt to finance the World Cup since its all finance by private money. They have 12 years and unlimited money. I am sure they'll do a great job.

And their small size can be an advantage. Anyone who traveled to South Africa can tell you. All venues closer together means you can have one place of accommodation for the whole month and move around in public transport. No need to rent a car and drive in an unfamiliar country or take expensive internal flights.

atomicbloke
12-02-2010, 07:18 PM
But it's Brazil, man!

On a side topic, has anyone actually tried to put together an estimate of what it would cost to spend some time in Brazil during the World Cup? That'd be amazing but I'm curious of the costs.

Its too early to do it now. In 4 years, exchange rates will fluctuate and lots of things can change. I'll make an estimate in late 2013.

For reference, one month in South Africa cost me USD 21K, but its also because I didn't plan in advance. I literally decided at the last moment to go. So flights, car rentals, scalped tickets were expensive. But I have family friends in South Africa so I could save a little on accomodation. Lots of Americans did the standard 2-week World Cup thingie for around USD 8-9K with advance planning.

That One Guy
12-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Its too early to do it now. In 4 years, exchange rates will fluctuate and lots of things can change. I'll make an estimate in late 2013.

For reference, one month in South Africa cost me USD 21k, but its also because I didn't plan in advance. I literally decided at the last moment to go. So flights, car rentals, scalped tickets were expensive. But I have family friends in South Africa so I could save a little on accomodation. Lots of Americans did the standard 2-week World Cup thingie for around USD 8-9K with advance planning.

Yikes! I didn't know it'd be that much. With a random shot in the dark, SA would be cheaper than Brazil, right?

eddie mac
12-02-2010, 07:29 PM
FIFA is more corrupt than any Mafia family that ever lived and the thing is like most Mafia organisations, they answer to no-one and are basically untouchable.

TBH it's a travesty that Qatar got a World Cup over the USA, but the biggest joke of all was England receiving only 2 votes out of 22 for 2018 World Cup when their bid was the best in 17 out of 20 categories set by FIFA over 2 years ago.

One mention of corruptness by our Media and they were eliminated. Simple as that. Blatter is a fat British hating **** who scorns at the power the Premier League has over the World of Football and worldwide $$ media rights.

His love for new horizons in the shape of new developing football countries being given opportunities to host major tournaments is a cover for briefcases full of unmarked money pocketed by himself and the majority of his 22 strong committee.

In no uncertain terms Blatter met with his co-workers yesterday in Zurich to remind them that if they voted for England they wouldn't be on his committee much longer.

That One Guy
12-02-2010, 07:34 PM
FIFA is more corrupt than any Mafia family that ever lived and the thing is like most Mafia organisations, they answer to no-one and are basically untouchable.

TBH it's a travesty that Qatar got a World Cup over the USA, but the biggest joke of all was England receiving only 2 votes out of 22 for 2018 World Cup when their bid was the best in 17 out of 20 categories set by FIFA over 2 years ago.

One mention of corruptness by our Media and they were eliminated. Simple as that. Blatter is a fat British hating **** who scorns at the power the Premier League has over the World of Football and worldwide $$ media rights.

Well South Africa is somewhere that I could see myself visiting one day. I know absolutely nothing about it but it could be neat. On the other hand, I think Qatar and think "not a chance". Hopefully it flops and they'll regret giving it to them. That said, it is 16 years from now. The world surely looked a lot different 16 years ago. Who knows what 16 more brings.

atomicbloke
12-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Yikes! I didn't know it'd be that much. With a random shot in the dark, SA would be cheaper than Brazil, right?

I think it would be about the same.

With advance planning, you can do it for much cheaper.

DHallblows
12-02-2010, 08:07 PM
just because some of us think soccer sucks doesnt make us ignorant, id expect to see broad generalizations in the wrp forum.

Speaking of broad generalizations...who said that disliking soccer in general is ignorant ??? I certainly didn't.

loborugger
12-02-2010, 08:17 PM
FIFA - gutless drunks?

No.

FIFA - well 'compensated' happy people. They are laughing all the way to the bank with pockets lined with oil money. Lucky for them, they are already in Switzerland.

The Joker
12-02-2010, 10:19 PM

His love for new horizons in the shape of new developing football countries being given opportunities to host major tournaments is a cover for briefcases full of unmarked money pocketed by himself and the majority of his 22 strong committee.

In no uncertain terms Blatter met with his co-workers yesterday in Zurich to remind them that if they voted for England they wouldn't be on his committee much longer.

http://www.ict4us.com/nutshell250.gif

Pathetic decisions from a pathetic organisation.

These two World Cups should rival South Africa for ****ness, at least Brazil will be fun in a few years.

strafen
12-02-2010, 11:15 PM

I think it's funnier than shiat.Yeah, that would suck.
We can do a great job hosting the world cup.
That would've been nice...

footstepsfrom#27
12-02-2010, 11:39 PM
I should care...why?

atomicbloke
12-03-2010, 12:42 AM
I should care...why?

If you are a soccer fan, you should care because you have been denied the opportunity to see the World Cup in your home country.

If you aren't soccer fan, you should care because you now have the opportunity to make a soccer joke and troll for a reaction.

atomicbloke
12-03-2010, 12:45 AM
Is everything OK with broncocalijohn?

This thread has been up for 11 hours and he hasn't made an appearance yet.

No soccer thread on the Mane is complete without a fire breathing rah-rah post from broncocalijohn.

cutthemdown
12-03-2010, 04:30 AM

I'm against an event that is for the world being held in countries that oppress women. I stand up for the ladies because without them life would suck.

These arab freaks treat there women like dirt. **** them they get no respect from me.

cutthemdown
12-03-2010, 04:34 AM
Well South Africa is somewhere that I could see myself visiting one day. I know absolutely nothing about it but it could be neat. On the other hand, I think Qatar and think "not a chance". Hopefully it flops and they'll regret giving it to them. That said, it is 16 years from now. The world surely looked a lot different 16 years ago. Who knows what 16 more brings.

Hopefully by then the Muslim war against us will be over and they will let there women be equal and independent.

I doubt it though because the mideast is like a time warp. They want there women uneducated and subservient because they are a weak and pathetic excuse for real men.

They have to jock themselves up with fantasies about the afterlife just to fight us. If they had to compete for a woman st8 up they would all be jacking it or screwing donkeys because no woman would have them.

One thing is for sure the world cup with have the greatest amount of body odor ever recorded.

chadta
12-03-2010, 05:25 AM
Seriously. I knew I'd have to read through ignorant "Soccer sucks" comments

I certainly didn't.

ummmmm yeah you did

DHallblows
12-03-2010, 09:47 AM
ummmmm yeah you did

I've read through both ignorant soccer sucks comments and non-ignorant soccer sucks comments...and then whatever the **** you're currently doing

Canadian schooling for ya... :-*

maven
12-03-2010, 10:50 AM
I am so heading to Rio in 2014 for the World Cup. Hot bitches EVERYWHERE and I plan to go single!;D

Mogulseeker
12-03-2010, 11:45 AM
I am so heading to Rio in 2014 for the World Cup. Hot b****es EVERYWHERE and I plan to go single!;D

Yes, you go to the most AIDS-ridden part of South America for the hot bitches.