PDA

View Full Version : Not Off Topic - Rockies to make Tulo a Rockie for life

lostknight
11-29-2010, 08:43 PM
I know that this appears to be offtopic for a moment, but bear with me. The Rockies and Tulo are going to sign a contract tommorow that extends Tulo's contract till past 2020. Until we see the contract, there is some uncertainty but the deal is estimated to be worth $160 million dollars over ten years. Just let that number sink in for a moment. Then remember that unlike NFL contract, MLB contracts are usually fully guaranteed. They are also about to make De La Rosa a three year contract, solidifying the second best pitcher on the team, and one of the most in-demand players in the MLB this off-season.

I talked with a reporter last year who told me if I wanted to understand the Denver sports market, watch the Rockies. Sports dollars have been fleeing the Broncos and the Rockies have been the clear benefactor. This is the Rockies betting, and betting huge that their franchise will be worth more then the Broncos in the next decade. It's a gutsy call. The Rockies are going to have a bidding war on their hands (in their favor) when they try to move Cargo this year in the same manner as Matt Holliday was moved.

It's hard not to like what the Rockies are doing. How did they do it? By focusing on home-grown resources, getting players of high character, and being smart about trades. Things the Broncos aspire too, but are not there yet.

broncocalijohn
11-29-2010, 08:48 PM
Who knows what happens in ten years. 10 years ago, my Anaheim Angels werent very good and now they are almost in the top of their division since 2002. Things change and Rockies were golden in the early 90s when the Broncos were down. Go forward 3 years and it was the other way around.

Houshyamama
11-29-2010, 08:51 PM
There's room for both.

Archer81
11-29-2010, 08:55 PM
The Rockies can bet all they like. If the Broncos build a winner, fans will drop the purple and pick up the predominant orange again.

:Broncos:

Tombstone RJ
11-29-2010, 08:58 PM
I know that this appears to be offtopic for a moment, but bear with me. The Rockies and Tulo are going to sign a contract tommorow that extends Tulo's contract till past 2020. Until we see the contract, there is some uncertainty but the deal is estimated to be worth $160 million dollars over ten years. Just let that number sink in for a moment. Then remember that unlike NFL contract, MLB contracts are usually fully guaranteed. They are also about to make De La Rosa a three year contract, solidifying the second best pitcher on the team, and one of the most in-demand players in the MLB this off-season.

I talked with a reporter last year who told me if I wanted to understand the Denver sports market, watch the Rockies. Sports dollars have been fleeing the Broncos and the Rockies have been the clear benefactor. This is the Rockies betting, and betting huge that their franchise will be worth more then the Broncos in the next decade. It's a gutsy call. The Rockies are going to have a bidding war on their hands (in their favor) when they try to move Cargo this year in the same manner as Matt Holliday was moved.

It's hard not to like what the Rockies are doing. How did they do it? By focusing on home-grown resources, getting players of high character, and being smart about trades. Things the Broncos aspire too, but are not there yet.

If it's all guaranteed, then it's stooopid. The difference between the NFL and MLB is that the NFL is smart about their contracts and the owners in MLB are friggen idiots.

I like Tulo and all but what if he get's injured and can't play? Or, what if he just starts to suck? Dumbass rocktards will still have to pay him $16m a year for 10 fuggen years... hooray!

Why not give him a 5 years guaranteed instead? Whatever, I have a hard time liking MLB because of stooopid contracts like this one.

Dukes
11-29-2010, 08:58 PM

Imagine what the Rockies franchise would be like with an owner like Pat Bowlen, instead of the Montfarts. Well maybe not gutless drunk Bowlen, but pre gutless drunk Bowlen. Nevertheless, signing Tulo to a long term deal is a no brainer.

HAT
11-29-2010, 09:00 PM
Who knows what happens in ten years. 10 years ago, my Anaheim Angels werent very good and now they are almost in the top of their division since 2002. Things change and Rockies were golden in the early 90s when the Broncos were down. Go forward 3 years and it was the other way around.

It was the hiring of the young, brash, think outside of the box manager that turned them around!

Oh and hey.......Scioscia also was .500 in his first year (82-80), regressed in his second year (75-87), but got hings rocking in year number three (99-63, wild card berth, world series champs!). Many said Scioscia only got the nod and survived year 2 was because Disney was being cheap.

Sound familiar? :wiggle:

extralife
11-29-2010, 09:01 PM
Why in the hell would the Rockies look to move Cargo? He's under contract until like 2013 or something.

Killericon
11-29-2010, 09:03 PM
According to MLB trade rumours:

The Rockies and Troy Tulowitzki (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/tulowtr01.shtml?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker&utm_campaign=Linker) are nearing a six-year extension that will keep the shortstop in Denver through 2020 and pay him $119MM. Tulowitzki will be approaching his 36th birthday by the time the extension expires.

lostknight
11-29-2010, 09:06 PM
It's the way MLB contracts are structured. The Rockies have a pheominal farm system that has a nice little cadre of pitching talent coming up. Every now and then you get shafted at a particular position - 2nd base the last two years - but it's simply too expensive to go get position players via FA unless you are Boston or New York.

Outside of the NBA - which is another universe - this will almost certainly be the highest paying contract in the city. If Melo takes the three year, $60MM contract from the nuggets, that would eclipse this.

Why is it a good move? Tulo carries the Rockies. There is a damn near perfect correlation between how Tulo does, and how the team does. The one exception was the end of the first half, when Tulo was out injured, and the Rockies made a huge surge. He is one of the most clutch players in the game, and won both a golden glove and silver slugger this year. His September was epic beyond belief.

Also, injuries i the MLB are very different beasts then in the NFL. Not the same propensity for career ending injuries.

In short, it's a gamble, but Tulo is a leader that any other team in MLB, or in other sports would gladly have.

lostknight
11-29-2010, 09:08 PM
Imagine what the Rockies franchise would be like with an owner like Pat Bowlen, instead of the Montfarts. Well maybe not gutless drunk Bowlen, but pre gutless drunk Bowlen. Nevertheless, signing Tulo to a long term deal is a no brainer.

The montford's got ripped early, but are you really criticizing a pair of owners that have competed in 3 of the last four years, made the post season twice, and went to the world series once.

If it was Bowlen, Clint Hurdle would still be around, and O'Dowd would have been fired when Hurdle was hired.

lostknight
11-29-2010, 09:08 PM
According to MLB trade rumours:

The Rockies and Troy Tulowitzki (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/tulowtr01.shtml?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker&utm_campaign=Linker) are nearing a six-year extension that will keep the shortstop in Denver through 2020 and pay him $119MM. Tulowitzki will be approaching his 36th birthday by the time the extension expires.

Plus the existing contract, and a mandatory buy out of the option, taking it to a total value of $157+/- five million.

Tombstone RJ
11-29-2010, 09:09 PM

The Montfarts, :thanku: very fitting.

They've managed to sign some of the largest and dumbest contracts in baseball history.

Tombstone RJ
11-29-2010, 09:15 PM
It's the way MLB contracts are structured. The Rockies have a pheominal farm system that has a nice little cadre of pitching talent coming up. Every now and then you get shafted at a particular position - 2nd base the last two years - but it's simply too expensive to go get position players via FA unless you are Boston or New York.

Outside of the NBA - which is another universe - this will almost certainly be the highest paying contract in the city. If Melo takes the three year, $60MM contract from the nuggets, that would eclipse this.

Why is it a good move? Tulo carries the Rockies. There is a damn near perfect correlation between how Tulo does, and how the team does. The one exception was the end of the first half, when Tulo was out injured, and the Rockies made a huge surge. He is one of the most clutch players in the game, and won both a golden glove and silver slugger this year. His September was epic beyond belief.

Also, injuries i the MLB are very different beasts then in the NFL. Not the same propensity for career ending injuries.

In short, it's a gamble, but Tulo is a leader that any other team in MLB, or in other sports would gladly have.

Again, this is the exact reason you don't sign him to a long term guaranteed contract, because if he goes down, the rockies are screwed. Why tie up so much money into one player?

Sure, give him some good money like 5 years $15m a year, but don't go all idiot and give him stupid money.

If anything, this simply proves that the rockies have a long way to go if their team depends so heavily on one player. Especially if that player just plays short stop. I mean, he's not even a friggen pitcher.

Sorry, it's stoopid.

Yah, do what you can to keep the guy, but don't sell the farm to keep him. It's contracts like this that can really destroy a small market team like the rockies.

lostknight
11-29-2010, 09:16 PM
Why in the hell would the Rockies look to move Cargo? He's under contract until like 2013 or something.

Wow. I just double checked his numbers, and they are staggering. While it's true that we only have him on his existing contract (Leauge minimum) through this year - we can bind him with arbitration through 2015. Holy ****. And he wans't even the headliner on the Matt Holliday trade. ****in A.

That gentleman, is why Dan O'Dowd has either won, or been in the top three for GM of the year since 2007.

lostknight
11-29-2010, 09:22 PM
Tulo is a one man wrecking ball. Reading opponents blogs when he comes up makes me all warm and fuzzy inside from the sheer flaming hatred they have of a guy who always manages to fly in like freaken Superman.

I know the numbers may not make sense to a bunch of NFLers, but in the baseball world, he is the leader of both the offense and the defense. Has a freaken unassisted triple play. Is the face of the franchise, and a generally good guy to boot. There have been superstars in Denver before, but Tulo is quickly shaping up to be the Elway of the Rockies. The man who sets the tone.

UberBroncoMan
11-29-2010, 09:25 PM

What the Rockies should have done is signed back Matt after his first season in St. Louis. Then we've had our big right-handed bat, and one of the most potent offenses in MLB...especially if Helton got back to hitting right.

Cargo/Tulo/Matt/Helton could have been insane.

Wow. I just double checked his numbers, and they are staggering. While it's true that we only have him on his existing contract (Leauge minimum) through this year - we can bind him with arbitration through 2015. Holy ****. And he wans't even the headliner on the Matt Holliday trade. ****in A.

That gentleman, is why Dan O'Dowd has either won, or been in the top three for GM of the year since 2007.

Him doing this numbers at his age are what's even more crazy. Potentially a mini-Pujols for us. We'll see if he can repeat.

lostknight
11-29-2010, 09:29 PM
What the Rockies should have done is signed back Matt after his first season in St. Louis. Then we've had our big right-handed bat, and one of the most potent offenses in MLB...especially if Helton got back to hitting right.

We got Cargo for Matt, or rather we got Cargo (who outperformed Matt last year and this), Street (our closer) and Greg Smith for Matt. Not sure there was any chance we would have ponied the cash - especally with Tulo's emergence.Remember that Matt burned more then a few bridges when he stated that it wasn't about the cash - he didn't believe the Rocks wanted to win.

Hell yeah. Give me that deal any day of the week. Twice on monday. Mad props to the coaches - they played Cargo day in and day out, even when he was still battling confidence issues and generally sucking. Once he got it, he's been lighting the league on fire since.

There is a strong lesson here as well. Sometimes you just need to go with your gut, and not the stats. I think that applies to the NFL as well.

lostknight
11-29-2010, 09:33 PM

Him doing this numbers at his age are what's even more crazy. Potentially a mini-Pujols for us. We'll see if he can repeat.

Oops. Didn't read your post clearly above.

Don't think there was any chance Holliday was coming back. But yeah, agree on the RHB need.

Scott Boras is hell bent on getting Cargo out of town. To the point that he has left Cargo on league minimum contracts last year and this, rather then let the Rockies buy out the arbitration years.

Clockwork Orange
11-29-2010, 11:15 PM
Oops. Didn't read your post clearly above.

Don't think there was any chance Holliday was coming back. But yeah, agree on the RHB need.

Scott Boras is hell bent on getting Cargo out of town. To the point that he has left Cargo on league minimum contracts last year and this, rather then let the Rockies buy out the arbitration years.

Holliday was also a Boras client and turned down a deal from the Rockies that was very similar to the deal he ended up signing with St. Louis after his ill fated stop in Oakland. He could hav stayed here and been making the same money, but Boras' MO is that his clients test the market.

I have no delusions about the Rockies getting Gonzalez signed to an extension. He's a Boras client, he's going to hit the open market when he's eligible and that's pretty much all there is to it. It's how Boras does business and as much as I don't care for him, he's generally very good at his job. So I plan on enjoying watching Gonzalez in a Rockies uniform while it lasts because it's probably only going to be until 2014, when he's eligible for UFA status.

That also happens to be the year that Ubaldo Jimenez will be eligible for free agency, so the Rockies are going to have some decisions to make between now and then.

Clockwork Orange
11-29-2010, 11:26 PM
And I'm the proud owner of a Tulo jersey, so I'm glad to know it'll be good for another decade. :)

spdirty
11-29-2010, 11:37 PM
lostknight, all Ive heard on the De La Rosa issue is that he is about 80% out of town. You're saying he is gonna have a change of heart and sign the 3 year deal?

Clockwork Orange
11-29-2010, 11:41 PM
lostknight, all Ive heard on the De La Rosa issue is that he is about 80% out of town. You're saying he is gonna have a change of heart and sign the 3 year deal?

It appears that's what's happening.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16737976

The Rockies have also agreed in principle on a deal that secures Jorge De La Rosa's return. It's likely to be a three-year contract, worth roughly $30 million, pending a physical. However, the possibility of it shrinking to two years exists, allowing De La Rosa to enter free agency sooner.

spdirty
11-29-2010, 11:48 PM
It appears that's what's happening.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16737976

The Rockies have also agreed in principle on a deal that secures Jorge De La Rosa's return. It's likely to be a three-year contract, worth roughly $30 million, pending a physical. However, the possibility of it shrinking to two years exists, allowing De La Rosa to enter free agency sooner.

Oh man, awesome. Finally, some good news.:thumbsup:

DomCasual
11-30-2010, 05:26 AM
This just made my week.

First, if you are going to tie someone up for that long, you tie up a slick-fielding shortstop that can hit for average and power. Maybe as he gets to the end of his contract, they think about moving him to 3rd base. But the guy is a superstar. He's a leader. He's been on winning teams at every level. The Monforts are to be commended for taking the risk with him over that period.

Second, with Jorge - he was the pitcher they needed to sign in free agency. I was all but sure it wasn't going to happen, so I have resigned myself with being happy to get one of the lower-tiered guys. As it turns out, he's happier here without a guaranteed fourth year than he would have been in Washington or Pittsburgh with a fourth year. The rotation will now be Ubaldo, Jorge, Hammel, Chacin, and Cook. That's a darned solid rotation.

We still need a piece or two, and probably have about $10 million to get them. Bring on spring training!

montrose
11-30-2010, 06:11 AM
Glad Tulo will be here for his prime but this is the kind of deal that could hamper the Rockies way down the line (think Helton). With that, this might be the only way a relatively cheap team like Colorado can keep a guy away from the NYs and Bostons of the world.

Now Cargo and Ubaldo... that's going to be tough.

lostknight
11-30-2010, 07:29 AM
No question that if it comes between Ubaldo and Cargo, and Ubaldo has more of the seasons he had this year, you resign Ubaldo, trade Cargo for his replacement.

Tulo's basically getting his third contract when most players are getting their second. This contract takes him to 36, which is actually a pretty good place for the contract to end. After Tulo has a few World Series pennants to his name ;-), we can decide if/when to extend the contract.

Otherwise, we would have been in a situation where we needed Tulo, Cargo and Ubaldo all at the same time. Nasty.

ColoradoDarin
11-30-2010, 07:48 AM
If it's all guaranteed, then it's stooopid. The difference between the NFL and MLB is that the NFL is smart about their contracts and the owners in MLB are friggen idiots.

I like Tulo and all but what if he get's injured and can't play? Or, what if he just starts to suck? Dumbass rocktards will still have to pay him $16m a year for 10 fuggen years... hooray!

Why not give him a 5 years guaranteed instead? Whatever, I have a hard time liking MLB because of stooopid contracts like this one.

It's called insurance. All MLB clubs carry insurance to cover the contract (at least most of it) in case the players get injured.