PDA

View Full Version : Josh, Lies and Videotape

Jesterhole
11-29-2010, 06:11 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/11/28/week-12-monday-morning-qb/index.html

Josh, Lies and Videotape.

How ironic will it be if Steve Scarnecchia ends up being the final straw in what gets Josh McDaniels fired after the season? The one question no one is asking in the wake of the six-minute tape that got video director and McDaniels friend Steve Scarnecchia fired is who ratted him out? And who spilled information from a private meeting McDaniels had with his coaches Friday to Fox's Jay Glazer -- information that the Patriots' taping practices, in Glazer's words, quoting McDaniels at his meeting, "that was practiced, that was coached, that was worked on.'' Some would view that as throwing the Patriots under the bus. Some would view it as a simple admission of the facts of the league's well-publicized findings against the Patriots.

What you need to know about Spygate II going forward:

McDaniels is adamant that he didn't trash the Patriots in his staff meeting Friday. What Glazer reported is essentially true -- McDaniels did say what the Broncos did was one individual act, and not a systemic, practiced series of videotapings over several years, which the league found the Patriots guilty of in 2007. The meeting was called to share with staffers what they were about to hear concerning the league's fining of McDaniels of $50,000 and the team of $50,000 for Scarnecchia's videotaping of a 49er practice in London the day before the two teams met Oct. 31.

"There were questions at the meeting I had with the staff on Friday in a private staff meeting,'' McDaniels told me last night for a report I aired on NBC's Football Night in America show. "I was asked by someone in the meeting how this compared to the Patriots situation. I didn't try to minimize the seriousness of what we did [in the Denver incident]. I feel bad that it's being represented that I had some inside information about what happened with the Patriots, because I don't.'' Instead, McDaniels told me, he was speaking of the New England case.

Nothing McDaniels said or did will re-open the league's investigation. The league doesn't see the connection between McDaniels' statement and any new information. I was told by one league official Sunday that I was way off base, and there was nothing in Glazer's report to suggest the league has a reason to re-open the case. In the same vein, the Patriots declined comment Sunday, saying, in essence, there was no there there -- no new news.

Videotaping a walk-through, usually, would be a far more educational piece of tape for a coach to watch than viewing the defensive signals and matching them to individual plays, which is what got Belichick in trouble in 2007. I say usually because the 49ers didn't show anything worth seeing in their walk-through the day before playing Denver in London, when the videotaping was done by Scarnecchia. "We purposely didn't show them anything, because we'd been warned about [Scarnecchia],'' said a source close to the 49ers coaching staff. "We didn't run any of the plays we were going to run in the game.'' Normally, though, a Saturday walkthrough might be a team's first X number of offensive plays -- so such a scouting report would be invaluable. "Far more valuable than anything like taping coaches signaling in plays,'' said one official of a different team. "That's why most people will look at this and say the Broncos got off light. If you succeeded in taping a team's walkthrough, you could wreck every one of their first 15 plays or so.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/11/28/week-12-monday-morning-qb/index.html#ixzz16gFhpenG

Kaylore
11-29-2010, 06:20 AM
Good read. I agree with all of it.

HEAV
11-29-2010, 08:05 AM
The team should have invested in a savvy, veteran GM to help McDaniels navigate his way early.

No duh....

CEH
11-29-2010, 08:14 AM
McDaniels seems to know he's got a traitor in his midst. Leaking what was said in a private meeting -- and leaking it with the possible intent of slanting it to make McDaniels looks bad -- is a sign that a coaching staff and organization could be fracturing from within. I'm pretty sure McDaniels will try to find out who's got the loose lips, though if it's the same person who turned he and Scarnecchia in to Bronco brass he might be hard to find, because of the league's protection of the whistleblower in this case. Said league counsel Jeff Pash on Saturday: "One of the things about our policy and the duty to report is we do make a pledge, and this is not unusual in these settings, we do make a pledge of confidentiality as part of a way of encouraging people to come forward and also protecting people against possible retaliation.'' But McDaniels still has to be troubled that he's got a leak.
-----

This seems to be the case. Legwold broke the story on Sat after a couple weeks of speculation. He believes the NFL would not have gone public with this had it not gone to press. Leads someone to believe inside Dove Valley does not like Josh and that person knows the inner workings of Dove Valley

I don't see how Josh can survive this. At 8-3 he can sweep it under the rug but 3-8 he's categorized as a cheater in the press. Every conference call/presser from here on out will include something about Spygate II

BTW, isn't this a duplicate thread. Better watch out TSIGuy will be in soon with his "I posted this first" antics

Popps
11-29-2010, 09:19 AM
I was told by one league official Sunday that I was way off base, and there was nothing in Glazer's report to suggest the league has a reason to re-open the case. In the same vein, the Patriots declined comment Sunday, saying, in essence, there was no there there -- no new news.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/11/28/week-12-monday-morning-qb/index.html#ixzz16gFhpenG

Again, Glazer spoke about internal incidents as if he was there. Not only did he not GIVE a quote, he never even claimed to have a source. He literally gave the story as if he himself was in the locker room.

Why no one has asked him for any shred of evidence is beyond me.

Hence, it's not a surprise that all parties seem to be poo-poo'ing his "report."

Not saying it can't be true on some level, but c'mon... you make claims like he did, you'd better have SOME shred of evidence, or even just take the time to lie and invent a source.

24champ
11-29-2010, 09:30 AM
Again, Glazer spoke about internal incidents as if he was there. Not only did he not GIVE a quote, he never even claimed to have a source. He literally gave the story as if he himself was in the locker room.

Hence, it's not a surprise that all parties seem to be poo-poo'ing his "report."

Not saying it can't be true on some level, but c'mon... you make claims like he did, you'd better have SOME shred of evidence, or even just take the time to lie and invent a source.

It's all about what drives up traffic, and sells papers. Probably the same "source" that told CBS4's Gary Miller that the team revolted against Josh McDaniels during the Raiders game a few weeks back and a coup d'état was imminent.

Miss I.
11-29-2010, 09:31 AM
Good read. I agree with all of it.

for once I agree, dear. ;D

Garcia Bronco
11-29-2010, 09:34 AM
McDaniels didn't trash the Pats. He clearly communicated what we already know about the Pats cheating. They were doing it on purpose along with 31 other teams. The league put a stop to it in the form of a letter and the PATS KEPT DOING IT. That was the problem.

BigPlayShay
11-29-2010, 09:35 AM
Someone needs to start a poll. Who is the Broncos Deep Throat? I am going with Keith Burns.

Don Martindale - Defensive Coordinator
Mike McCoy - Offensive Coordinator
Mike Priefer - Special Team Coordinator
Craig Aukerman - Defensive Assistant
Clancy Barone - Offensive Line
Keith Burns - Assistant Special Teams
Brian Callahan - Coaching Assistant
Ed Donatell - Secondary
Adam Gase - Wide Receivers
Bob Ligashesky - Tight Ends
Justin Lovett - Strength and Conditioning Assistant
Ben McDaniels - Quarterbacks
Wayne Nunnely - Defensive Line
Roman Phifer - Assistant Linebackers
Jay Rodgers - Defensive Assistant
Greg Saporta - Strength and Conditioning Assistant
Eric Studesville - Running Backs
Mark Thewes - Vice President, Team Administration / Assistant to Head Coach
Rich Tuten - Strength and Conditioning
Bob Wylie - Assistant Offensive Line

bronco militia
11-29-2010, 09:36 AM
I'm going with RB's coach or OL coach

Dagmar
11-29-2010, 09:37 AM
Good read. Even better than when tsiguy posted it.

TheProfessor
11-29-2010, 09:42 AM
Regardless, at worst he was caught cheating and then proceeded to lose the game while somebody runs around snitching something to the press

and at best his employees were cheating, while the coach and players were putting forth another losing effort, all while some rogue employee runs around snitching something to the press.

Add 3-8 to either one of those scenarios and the fact is, this is a serious mess. PB needs to get control of his organization. IMO, he needs to start the process of finding a new coach right away.

zdoor
11-29-2010, 09:48 AM
Posted this in another thread:

While I agree when someone provides a story as inflammatory as the one Glazer reported, a source should be provided. It is likely because the source is one of the coaches... It also seems pretty plausible considering key members (corrected) of last years staff "mutually agreed" to part ways. I don't think McD could bring in any esatblished co-ordinators at this point. Where there is smoke, there is usually fire. And, over the last 2 years we've had more smoke than any franchise in the league...

Chris
11-29-2010, 10:24 AM
Clancy Barone

Tom Clancy

Tom Riddle

Barone Munchausen

Barone Rotschild

The spy is Clancy Barone.

bronco militia
11-29-2010, 10:27 AM
The Broncos did him no favors by giving him an inexperienced GM, Brian Xanders, who clearly hasn't been strong enough to save him from making some bad personnel calls. The team should have invested in a savvy, veteran GM to help McDaniels navigate his way early.

wait, what? Whoe fired the Goodmans? who gave Josh final say in personel moves?

maher_tyler
11-29-2010, 10:39 AM
I won't be surprised if McD is fired at the end of the season...and i won't be sad to see him go!

bendog
11-29-2010, 12:27 PM
Is there any reporting on whether McD ordered anyone to not disclose this to the league?

TDmvp
11-29-2010, 12:31 PM
I heard that Josh is pushing for this to be the model for our new helmets

http://cfl.uploads.mrx.ca/ham/images/newser/2010/06/june15_otiscam2018.jpg
:clown:

TheReverend
11-29-2010, 12:34 PM
The Broncos did him no favors by giving him an inexperienced GM, Brian Xanders, who clearly hasn't been strong enough to save him from making some bad personnel calls. The team should have invested in a savvy, veteran GM to help McDaniels navigate his way early.

wait, what? Whoe fired the Goodmans? who gave Josh final say in personel moves?

I know, right? When he came in he had a personnel guy with a career's worth of experience who had really shined and two capologists.

You lie in the bed you make. Josh, Xanders and Ellis (the Axis of evil), made this bed.

Jesterhole
11-29-2010, 12:47 PM
Good read. Even better than when tsiguy posted it.

Mine was posted first, and didn't have a bunch of lame ass bold and underlines like a 14 year old girl posted it.

lostknight
11-29-2010, 01:36 PM

Yep, and if he has a Journalists education, that's actually a point in his favor. My professor drilled into us that the only time you ever make statements as if you were in the room, is if you have an unimpeachable source - preferably two.

Because the repercussions could result in all sorts of bad whistle-blowing juju.

lostknight
11-29-2010, 01:38 PM
Glazer's reporting has at least two details that no-one else is reporting. (that the NFL actually caught Steve Scarnecchia recording, and the meeting details). That's a pretty bold branch for someone to be out standing on alone, unless they really believed it.

elsid13
11-29-2010, 03:21 PM
"We purposely didn't show them anything, because we'd been warned about [Scarnecchia],'' said a source close"

There is more in that line that needs to be explored.

bronco_diesel
11-29-2010, 03:27 PM
"We purposely didn't show them anything, because we'd been warned about [Scarnecchia],'' said a source close"

There is more in that line that needs to be explored.

I've wondered if this is what Haley was referring to when he waved his finger at Josh and made a comment suggesting coaches were talking about him..

TheProfessor
11-29-2010, 03:31 PM
At this point who cares?

Constant drama and losing is all that we have seen since that bizarre 6-0 start. The ship has sailed, it's time to find the next coach.

Houshyamama
11-29-2010, 03:35 PM
Someone needs to start a poll. Who is the Broncos Deep Throat? I am going with Keith Burns.

Ed Donatell - Secondary

I think it was Rich Tuten with the candlestick in the parlor.

bronco_diesel
11-29-2010, 03:46 PM

Ed Donatell - Secondary

Tuten
Burns
or Ben McDaniels

NUB
11-29-2010, 03:46 PM
I'm going with Ben McDaniels. In Pat Bowlen's office. With decades long knife of backstabbery.

colonelbeef
11-29-2010, 03:48 PM
Tuten
Burns
or Ben McDaniels

haha yep

Ben McDaniels, how Shakesperian

bendog
11-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Sadly, Donatel has the most experience as a coordinator in that group, I think. But I don't think there will be any changes till offseason.