PDA

View Full Version : Joe Mays!

KevinJames
11-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Beast

if anything good came defensively today it was clearly his play.

the way he just blew that linemen up on that goal line run play was amazing.

I think we found a ILB to put opposite of DJ, our linebackers are set ayers, doom, mays, DJ just draft some d-linemen and secondary players.

Champagne Powder
11-28-2010, 07:15 PM
J.J. Arrington wasn't a total bust.

Dr. Broncenstein
11-28-2010, 07:20 PM
We need more players like this guy. Easily my favorite current Bronco.

enjolras
11-28-2010, 07:23 PM
He still needs to work on his discipline. He was caught chasing quite a bit (particularly on the end-arounds).

jmz313
11-28-2010, 07:24 PM
Agreed, he was the bright spot on D today.

HooptyHoops
11-28-2010, 07:25 PM
He is the one guy who can actually tackle on on our D....

Dr. Broncenstein
11-28-2010, 07:26 PM
I can forgive just about anything a player does if he does it while trying to demolish the opposing player(s). Something about hearing the lamentation of their womens makes me a happy football fan.

Clockwork Orange
11-28-2010, 07:29 PM
He's physical and aggressive, which makes him look totally out of place on this defense.

Dr. Broncenstein
11-28-2010, 07:31 PM
He's physical and aggressive, which makes him look totally out of place on this defense.

:rofl:

Popps
11-28-2010, 07:32 PM
Love the kid. This makes drafting at ILB somewhat less of an emergency, but I still hate DJ Williams playing inside in this defense.

Mays is $$ on ST's, as well.

Excellent trade.

Don Flamenco
11-28-2010, 07:36 PM
Beast

I think we found a ILB to put opposite of DJ, our linebackers are set ayers, doom, mays, DJ just draft some d-linemen and secondary players.

Now if we can only find another ILB to put in DJs spot

KevinJames
11-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Now if we can only find another ILB to put in DJs spot

DJ is fine when the DL is doing its job.

I really don't get the negativity towards DJ.

Dudeskey
11-28-2010, 07:53 PM

Sure would be nice if the rest of the D would feed off his style of play

gyldenlove
11-28-2010, 07:57 PM
Now, if we can just find a pass he would like to cover we will be set.

rugbythug
11-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Who was Not Covering the TE? I thought it looked like DJ pooped the bed

colonelbeef
11-28-2010, 08:00 PM
Stop talking about him. Talent recognized is talent traded in Denver

Inkana7
11-28-2010, 08:20 PM

Man, you really suck.

Taco John
11-28-2010, 08:32 PM

Yeah, he stuck out there like a sore thumb today. I'm a little gun shy after Wesley Woodyard, but a guy can hope I guess...

Popps
11-28-2010, 09:36 PM
Yeah, he stuck out there like a sore thumb today. I'm a little gun shy after Wesley Woodyard, but a guy can hope I guess...

Woodyard is a quality rotation player. I think we're better when he's healthy... which isn't often. He's also a good ST's player when he's healthy.... which isn't often.

loborugger
11-28-2010, 10:15 PM

Wow. You are a well of negative - a giant black hole out of which nothing positive ever emits. We get it. You are the one, the fan who is the most disappointed by this season's results. Compared to the rest of us, you have suffered the most. The remainder of the OM are but mere nuthuggers and posters who are exceedingly pleased with mediocrity. You are the most pained and the most maligned fan in Broncodom. Way to go. I am glad we have identified ground zero for the Bronco fan suffering.

BroncoDoug
11-28-2010, 10:47 PM
He is the one guy who can actually tackle on on our D....

I thought Hill had some good tackles today...

lostknight
11-28-2010, 10:57 PM
Anyone know what May's contract status is?

Remember that Doom will be coming off a injury that might affect his arm strength. Some players never recover. It may be a while - or never - before Doom is the doom of old. And honestly, without Nolan, I am not sure he will match his previous benchmarks.

Hulamau
11-29-2010, 01:24 AM
Love the kid. This makes drafting at ILB somewhat less of an emergency, but I still hate DJ Williams playing inside in this defense.

Mays is $$ on ST's, as well.

Excellent trade.

Joe will clean up his over-enthusiatic extras that cost us from time to time. A lot easier to teach that than to instill his killer instinct. Look forward to seeing him continue to becoming a stud for us... We need about four more new ones like him on D and this ship will be turned around for sure.

This team would have look so different if Doom and Ayers had really played the whole year. We'd be a hell of a lot better in coverage if our top two pass rushers were there to bring some consistent heat and also set the edge on the run game.

With those two plus adding Joe in there and suddenly this defense would have stiffened a lot. We'd have at least three maybe four more wins and a very different vibe around here after week 12.

missingnumber7
11-29-2010, 09:55 AM
Joe will clean up his over-enthusiatic extras that cost us from time to time. A lot easier to teach that than to instill his killer instinct. Look forward to seeing him continue to becoming a stud for us... We need about four more new ones like him on D and this ship will be turned around for sure.

This team would have look so different if Doom and Ayers had really played the whole year. We'd be a hell of a lot better in coverage if our top two pass rushers were there to bring some consistent heat and also set the edge on the run game.

With those two plus adding Joe in there and suddenly this defense would have stiffened a lot. We'd have at least three maybe four more wins and a very different vibe around here after week 12.

So the 1 penalty for a late hit for keeping a guy from piling on and the PI that wasn't exactly terrible last week are a negative for you? That is all Joe has done negatively this year. He plays with heart, more than the ILB playing next to him. DJ has gotten comfortable in his position and knows the team won't get rid of him.

Man-Goblin
11-29-2010, 10:13 AM
I'm not saying he's as good, but there is a lot about this guy that reminds me of Al Wilson. His style of play, his intensity, how his helmet fits, his stocky build; a lot of goodness going on for Joe Mays.

Pick Six
11-29-2010, 11:52 AM

No, that's only if the Orangemane makes up a silly nickname for a player...Ha!

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-29-2010, 11:57 AM
I think it's about time McDaniels get some credit for bringing the guy in. We harp on trades like Hillis, and justifiably so. But he gets a big one right, like this one, and MIGHT get a "yeah, good trade" acknowledgment.

Mays is awesome to watch. Excited to see him grow and develop, and I can't wait to see him with a healthy Ayers and Doom.

Popps
11-29-2010, 12:33 PM
I think it's about time McDaniels get some credit for bringing the guy in. We harp on trades like Hillis, and justifiably so. But he gets a big one right, like this one, and MIGHT get a "yeah, good trade" acknowledgment.

Mays is awesome to watch. Excited to see him grow and develop, and I can't wait to see him with a healthy Ayers and Doom.

My take...

1. Cutler for Orton and a couple 1sts - Win.
2. Marshall for 2 2nds: Avoid massive salary, headaches and Lloyd out plays him. - Win.
3. Hillis for Quinn - Loss.
4. Arrington for Mays - Win.
5. Sheffler for Pick - Push. Don't think this mattered much either way.
6. A. Smith for Gronkowski - Loss, but this one looks like it could turn.
7. Maroney for moving from 4th to 6th round - Loss. But, an understandable and legitimate move with 1st and 2nd string RBs hurt.
8. Lekvin Smith for 7th - Push. While Smith never panned out for us, a 7th round pick almost never does, either. I'm in favor of this kind of move any time we can make it.

So, McD is batting around .500 with these trades. Won a few, lost a few. But overall, got guys in that mold to the style we're trying to play on both sides of the ball.

Like McDaniels or not, a coach needs the kinds of players he thinks fits on his team.

cutthemdown
11-29-2010, 12:36 PM
LOL at the notion of DJ Williams and Joe Mays being all we need to be set at ILB.

Some of us see it why don't others? DJ williams is a 4-3 wlb and should be moved off the Broncos unless we are going back to a 4-3 which I think we should.

cutthemdown
11-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Not saying Mays doesn't play hard but he has some issues.

lostknight
11-29-2010, 12:44 PM
I would also rank the Tony Sheffler thing a loss - we really need a pass catching TE badly.

missingnumber7
11-29-2010, 02:34 PM
Not saying Mays doesn't play hard but he has some issues.

He's not gonna be a passing down ILB, but that would also be why he is rarely in on passing situations now.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-29-2010, 02:36 PM
I would also rank the Tony Sheffler thing a loss - we really need a pass catching TE badly.

How does Scheffler help in that case? Guy dropped a ton of passes in big spots and he couldn't stay healthy.

LRtagger
11-29-2010, 02:41 PM
DJ williams is a 4-3 wlb and should be moved off the Broncos unless we are going back to a 4-3 which I think we should.

No way. Having Doom on the roster under a huge contract is reason enough to stay with a 3-4 and build it around him and his 2009 performance.

If we have to pick between DJ and a 4-3 or Doom and a 3-4 it's not even a debate.

Moving to a 4-3 and moving Doom back to DE is a step in the wrong direction IMO.

lostknight
11-29-2010, 02:43 PM
How does Scheffler help in that case? Guy dropped a ton of passes in big spots and he couldn't stay healthy.

you might want to go back and re-read his stats. Or go hit the youtube for his money passes from Cutler.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-29-2010, 02:45 PM
you might want to go back and re-read his stats. Or go hit the youtube for his money passes from Cutler.

You might want to go back and watch the Philly game from last year, when he dropped three passes on third down, all of which hit him in the hands.

You might want to glance at an injury report too. If you're not too busy.

cutthemdown
11-29-2010, 02:46 PM
He's not gonna be a passing down ILB, but that would also be why he is rarely in on passing situations now.

The problem is we need some every down linebackers. We are running on and off field so much it's a confusing joke. The more players you can leave on the field all 4 downs the better off you will be. It would be nice to not have to worry about DJ being soft on 1st down, and the other guy being soft on 3rd down. We need one of those ILB to be a stud.

Mays aint it. Williams ain't it. We need a stud ILB and a stud DE and a stud DT. Until we find those 3 spots we shouldn't draft anything else on defense.

footstepsfrom#27
11-29-2010, 02:47 PM
Beast

That of course assumes that by the time the next draft rolls around we'll still be playing a 3-4 defense.

jhns
11-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Mays has been a nice surprise. Lynch seems to be in love with the guy. He couldn't stop talking about him.

PRBronco
11-29-2010, 02:48 PM
**** Tony Scheffler. Got bitch in his blood.

cutthemdown
11-29-2010, 02:49 PM
No way. Having Doom on the roster under a huge contract is reason enough to stay with a 3-4 and build it around him and his 2009 performance.

If we have to pick between DJ and a 4-3 or Doom and a 3-4 it's not even a debate.

Moving to a 4-3 and moving Doom back to DE is a step in the wrong direction IMO.

No reason Doom couldn't play DE in a 4-3. You put a couple big DT inside and some big OLB in behind him. He's a lot like Freeney really and originally was a DE. Really it was the 3-4 OLB that was new for him and an adjustment.

Tell me why you can't have smaller DE pass rushers on one side in a 4-3? It's been done and it's worked.

Actually doom is horrid in coverage so he's almost a liability if hes not rushing the passer. In a 4-3 he could still use his speed to disrupt the running game. He can do that better then cover IMO.

cutthemdown
11-29-2010, 02:49 PM
All doom did in 2009 was rush off the end just like a smaller 4-3 DE would do. Not sure why anyone thinks doom so much more suited to a 3-4.

Mile High Shack
11-29-2010, 02:53 PM
My take...

1. Cutler for Orton and a couple 1sts - Win.
2. Marshall for 2 2nds: Avoid massive salary, headaches and Lloyd out plays him. - Win.
3. Hillis for Quinn - Loss.
4. Arrington for Mays - Win.
5. Sheffler for Pick - Push. Don't think this mattered much either way.
6. A. Smith for Gronkowski - Loss, but this one looks like it could turn.
7. Maroney for moving from 4th to 6th round - Loss. But, an understandable and legitimate move with 1st and 2nd string RBs hurt.
8. Lekvin Smith for 7th - Push. While Smith never panned out for us, a 7th round pick almost never does, either. I'm in favor of this kind of move any time we can make it.

So, McD is batting around .500 with these trades. Won a few, lost a few. But overall, got guys in that mold to the style we're trying to play on both sides of the ball.

Like McDaniels or not, a coach needs the kinds of players he thinks fits on his team.

there needs to be a scale of win and loss though, it's not just 1 for 1

Rascal
11-29-2010, 02:59 PM
Mays is good against the run, but he is a severe liability against the pass.

Dr. Broncenstein
11-29-2010, 04:31 PM

You may be right but I don't give a shiat. Find a way to use the guy. In fact, find a way to use him on offense as well. Then clone him. And do the same to his clones.

PRBronco
11-29-2010, 04:41 PM

Seriously is anyone happy with the way their linebackers play in pass coverage? There might be 3 linebackers in the league that can cover a pure receiving tight end these days ffs. Just improve the pass rush.

Requiem
11-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Mays has always struggled in pass protection, it isn't his forte -- nor is something that should really be required of him. He is a valuable asset against the run, especially considering the crap we have trying to open it up for him to get downfield.

Pendejo
11-29-2010, 04:48 PM
**** Tony Scheffler. Got b**** in his blood.

Yeah. You'd have thought that he and McDaniels would have gotten along swimmingly.

Dr. Broncenstein
11-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Joe Mays destroys people. That's his football purpose. It's a noble purpose.

cutthemdown
11-29-2010, 09:12 PM
Seriously is anyone happy with the way their linebackers play in pass coverage? There might be 3 linebackers in the league that can cover a pure receiving tight end these days ffs. Just improve the pass rush.

Are you serious? It's not so much about 1 on 1 stuff for the backers or the safety's. It's about covering zones well, dropping back into coverage and disrupting passing lanes. Teams do not play man to man with every single player in coverage. When people say a backer doesn't play the pass well it often not only means in man to man but how he plays in a zone. It's about being able to play the ball, anticipate the qb, understanding underneath routes and where in the zone players will sit down on there routes.

We need some ILB that can shed blocks in the run game, get after the QB, and drop into coverage to disrupt the passing game. It's fine to have role players but we need at least 1 physical everydown inside linebacker. It's not DJ, it's not Haggan, let's draft one.