PDA

View Full Version : Get Gruden to be HC, Kubiak as OC once he is fired in Houston

colonelbeef
11-28-2010, 03:40 PM
Gruden loves Tebow, maybe he can make something of him. Gruden knows the AFC West, hates the Raiders with a passion, and knows all about Denver and the importance of a running game and stout defense.

Kubiak will be looking to rebound- what better place to re-establish himself than in Denver?

Perfect fits all around.

footstepsfrom#27
11-28-2010, 03:43 PM
So has Chuckie said he would want Kubes for an OC? Or do we just force feed him to him?

colonelbeef
11-28-2010, 03:44 PM
So has Chuckie said he would want Kubes for an OC? Or do we just force feed him to him?

I'm daydreaming here....

It makes sense on paper though

snowspot66
11-28-2010, 03:52 PM
I'd be ok with Kubiak as the OC. Don't like Gruden as the H.C.

broncoblue
11-28-2010, 03:53 PM
homer frigging simpson could do a better job than what we have now ...embarassing again.

frerottenextelway
11-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Bring in Hayden Fox.

colonelbeef
11-28-2010, 03:55 PM
I'd be ok with Kubiak as the OC. Don't like Gruden as the H.C.

How come? He has won, is passionate, and he loves Tebow....

Rigs11
11-28-2010, 03:57 PM
Bring in Cowher to betchslap the pussys on this team.

HEAV
11-28-2010, 04:00 PM
Russ Grimm
Mike Nolan
Brian Schottenheimer
Charlie Weis
Ron Rivera

That's my list.

rugbythug
11-28-2010, 04:00 PM
Dom Capers

Homer Simpson
11-28-2010, 04:04 PM
homer frigging simpson could do a better job than what we have now ...embarassing again.

I could!

Natedog24
11-28-2010, 04:04 PM
If the internet rumor mill is correct then Gruden is already off the coaching market and on his way to Miami U...

snowspot66
11-28-2010, 04:05 PM

That's the only thing that might make me ok with him. Other than that though I think he's been highly over rated because he won a Super Bowl and is currently unemployed but on TV every week.

He won a Super Bowl yes. But he didn't build that team. And it went into the toilet pretty quick. He's only had three or four seasons with over ten wins.

In the end he may be the best available option. I don't know what OC's/DC's are out there on the track to be a head coach. If we can't find a quality one then I would be accepting of Gruden. But I definitely do not want to just hand him the job. I think he just looks good because we're all desperate and he's getting lots of pretty face time while he doesn't coach (he gets to say all the right things on national television).

snowspot66
11-28-2010, 04:06 PM
Russ Grimm
Mike Nolan
Brian Schottenheimer
Charlie Weis
Ron Rivera

That's my list.

You know. I think I'd like it if we went after him. That'd be a trip wouldn't it.

HEAV
11-28-2010, 04:08 PM
You know. I think I'd like it if we went after him. That'd be a trip wouldn't it.

Look at what he has done with Sanchez. Russ Grimm is just a hard nose coach. Nolan has been class...pure class in the NFL.

broncoblue
11-28-2010, 04:10 PM
MY
y list is Elway
Elway and er Elway ;)

snowspot66
11-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Look at what he has done with Sanchez. Russ Grimm is just a hard nose coach. Nolan has been class...pure class in the NFL.

Having Marty on our side wouldn't be a bad thing either. Guy could never win anything but man he could build a team.

Ambiguous
11-28-2010, 04:30 PM
MY
y list is Elway
Elway and er Elway ;)

Drinking?

Dudeskey
11-28-2010, 04:35 PM

He doesn't love Tebow, he loves QB's. We'd better clear like 6 roster spots to satisfy his QB fetish

lostknight
11-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Mike Nolan (second runs usually work well for head coaches),
Marty Schottenheimer,
Urban Meyer

colonelbeef
11-28-2010, 04:48 PM
That's the only thing that might make me ok with him. Other than that though I think he's been highly over rated because he won a Super Bowl and is currently unemployed but on TV every week.

He won a Super Bowl yes. But he didn't build that team. And it went into the toilet pretty quick. He's only had three or four seasons with over ten wins.

In the end he may be the best available option. I don't know what OC's/DC's are out there on the track to be a head coach. If we can't find a quality one then I would be accepting of Gruden. But I definitely do not want to just hand him the job. I think he just looks good because we're all desperate and he's getting lots of pretty face time while he doesn't coach (he gets to say all the right things on national television).

So what? Tony Dungy didn't build the Colts either.

Gruden won with a moderately talented Raiders team as well, he has to get credit for that.

broncoblue
11-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Drinking?

i am lol

colonelbeef
11-28-2010, 04:49 PM
i am lol

hahah

snowspot66
11-28-2010, 04:56 PM
So what? Tony Dungy didn't build the Colts either.

Gruden won with a moderately talented Raiders team as well, he has to get credit for that.

And I wouldn't want Dungy either. Gruden gets credit that he had some success. But lets not kid ourselves and think he was great.

colonelbeef
11-28-2010, 05:32 PM
And I wouldn't want Dungy either. Gruden gets credit that he had some success. But lets not kid ourselves and think he was great.

I happen to agree with you- he isn't a 'great' coach... but he is still relatively young, and given that he has something to prove, could prove to be a solid guy with an eye for talent.

zdoor
11-28-2010, 05:33 PM
Russ Grimm
Mike Nolan
Brian Schottenheimer
Charlie Weis
Ron Rivera

That's my list.

I like that list

Williams
11-28-2010, 05:33 PM
Gruden loves Tebow, maybe he can make something of him. Gruden knows the AFC West, hates the Raiders with a passion, and knows all about Denver and the importance of a running game and stout defense.

Kubiak will be looking to rebound- what better place to re-establish himself than in Denver?

Perfect fits all around.

Like the plan... sure seems like a pipedream though. I'd be happy w/ Gruden @ HC alone... he can bring in his guys.

SoCalBronco
11-28-2010, 05:36 PM
Gruden is VERY VERY VERY CLOSE to being off the market from what I am hearing right now.

Depends on if Kirby and Donna can close.

Ugly Duck
11-28-2010, 06:27 PM
Gruden is VERY VERY VERY CLOSE to being off the market from what I am hearing right now.

Because he signed with Miami U?

Soul-Bronco
11-28-2010, 06:28 PM

Thats what im hearing from some of my buddies who go to UM, can be just a rumor tho . . . .

SoCalBronco
11-28-2010, 06:29 PM

He hasn't signed with the Canes yet....but its relatively close. Still not confirmed.

colonelbeef
11-28-2010, 06:29 PM

Looks like this happened.

Oh well.

bloodsunday
11-28-2010, 06:54 PM
We need to find the fountain of youth for our defense. Then any coach that comes in will look awesome! Take 5 years of half our starters and we'd have one helluva a team ;)

SoCalBronco
11-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Hey Soul-Bronco,

Manny is now reporting its pretty much done, 3.4 million per season.

errand
11-28-2010, 07:39 PM
I'm daydreaming here....

It makes sense on paper though

You mean the same Kubiak that you guys said had to have the playbook taken from him numrous times when he was our OC under Shanahan? Whose playcalling had gotten stagnant and who you clowns couldn't wait to get rid of?

The same Jon Gruden who could keep a super bowl winning team from becoming the suckaneers again?

No thanks...

Boltjolt
11-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Saw something in a tweet today that said he was a candidate for the Hurricanes job. Cant see Gruden going to college ball.

Ugly Duck
11-28-2010, 07:41 PM
Gruden getting $3 mil/yr @ Miami.... not too shabby!

SoCalBronco
11-28-2010, 07:48 PM
Gruden getting $3 mil/yr @ Miami.... not too shabby!

Yeah I'm hearing 3.2 or 3.4 million. Apparently the players and assistants were just informed, but I'm still waiting for something official.

I'm REALLY excited to have him coaching my team. Just want to hear something official from the university. This will be GREAT for recruiting.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n613/cportis1/gruden10.jpg

Dr. Broncenstein
11-28-2010, 07:50 PM

But does he have the intense ball juice to go with the passion?

Jens1893
11-28-2010, 08:03 PM
Jon Gruden is not going to the University of Miami. Period.

Peter King on Twitter

SoCal, I just saw Shannon signed a 4 year extension in May. Did some boosters step up or whatīs going on? Thatīs a nice amount of change changing hands there. Gruden, assuming itīs true, salary, Shannonīs buy out, a new staff that wonīt be cheap ....

SoCalBronco
11-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Peter King on Twitter

SoCal, I just saw Shannon signed a 4 year extension in May. Did some boosters step up or whatīs going on? Thatīs a nice amount of change changing hands there. Gruden, assuming itīs true, salary, Shannonīs buy out, a new staff that wonīt be cheap ....

Shannon had a very cheap buyout because they tied alot of stuff to performance. We've been hearing alot of stuff on the premium sites tonight about Gruden from multiple sources, but still nothing yet officially.

I know King is disputing this, in fact, Peter King has suggested that Gruden might go to the SF 49ers, but everything I've heard tonight suggests Gruden is very close to being a Cane if not already done. Again, its not official till we get a press release, but I've read reports that the players have been informed that he is the next Coach.

We'll see if they are right or if King is right.

extralife
11-28-2010, 08:27 PM
I'm kind of liking this Brian Schottenheimer idea.

I mean, it might be a little early for him, but I like the signs. Bring in a strong DC with him, make Marty either GM or give him a consultant role...I could see it.

loborugger
11-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Why is everyone on Chucky's bandwagon?

First off, no HC has EVER one a SB with a 2nd team after winning it with another team. Secondly, look at his last few years in Tampa. No tears were shed when he was shown the door in Tampa. Finally, the dude won a SB with Dungy's team. He won it against his former team (that he understood inside and out), the QB that he made work, and against an opposing HC - Bill Callahan - whose most memorable moments as a HC was standing on the sideline with a glazed look on his face as things fell apart around him.

No to Chucky, no to retreads, no guys who have won SBs somewhere else with someone else's team. I dont know who the answer is, but Chucky it isnt.

loborugger
11-28-2010, 08:31 PM
Saw something in a tweet today that said he was a candidate for the Hurricanes job. Cant see Gruden going to college ball.

I can. He has that intensity that works more with the younger crowd.

Boltjolt
11-28-2010, 08:56 PM
Shannon had a very cheap buyout because they tied alot of stuff to performance. We've been hearing alot of stuff on the premium sites tonight about Gruden from multiple sources, but still nothing yet officially.

I know King is disputing this, in fact, Peter King has suggested that Gruden might go to the SF 49ers, but everything I've heard tonight suggests Gruden is very close to being a Cane if not already done. Again, its not official till we get a press release, but I've read reports that the players have been informed that he is the next Coach.

We'll see if they are right or if King is right.

Shefter also reported that Gruden said "he is committed to MNF and ESPN". So take it for what it is worth.

TonyR
11-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Why is everyone on Chucky's bandwagon?

I don't get it either. I recall his players hated him at the end of his run in Tampa.

Beantown Bronco
11-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Gruden would be an idiot to give up one of the best, most stress-free jobs in the world.

Boltjolt
11-28-2010, 08:58 PM
I don't get it either. I recall his players hated him at the end of his run in Tampa.

Yeah, if Norv wasnt going to stay in SD, i sure didnt want Gruden.

SoCalBronco
11-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Shefter also reported that Gruden said "he is committed to MNF and ESPN". So take it for what it is worth.

Yeah, I'm getting a bunch of different stuff.

A former UM lineman from the late 80s said he talked to one of the present coaches and he said they've already hired the coach and he believes its Gruden. Reporter Omar Kelly just tweeted that he thinks the talk that he's not coming means the money isn't to his liking just yet. A third individual said if they could find a way to agree to a budget for Gruden's assistants, it would be done.

Take it for what its worth.

uplink
11-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Russ Grimm
Mike Nolan
Brian Schottenheimer
Charlie Weis
Ron Rivera

That's my list.

Brian Schottenheimer seems like the kind of hire Bowlen makes. Similar to the Shanny and McD hires, good O coordinators with little head coaching experience. He hired Wade just because he was already with the team when he fired Reeves, he wanted Shanny at that time but had to wait on him.

ZONA
11-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Russ Grimm
Mike Nolan
Brian Schottenheimer
Charlie Weis
Ron Rivera

That's my list.

And then after they don't make the playoffs in their first year, you can start to call for their heads also...........lol.

bowtown
11-28-2010, 09:22 PM
Schottenheimer is worthless. The Jets offense sucked when Mangini was the HC. Under Rex, the offense is still crap. They win because of their defense.

Ugly Duck
11-28-2010, 11:18 PM
This will be GREAT for recruiting.

You got that right. Dude has SO MUCH star power... probably the best recruiting tool out there...

Requiem
11-28-2010, 11:22 PM
This thread smells worse than my anus.

RaiderH8r
11-28-2010, 11:44 PM
Bring in Hayden Fox.

Christ, at this point I'd take Craig T. Nelson himself over this bunch of slapdicks. Is Dobber available?

24champ
11-29-2010, 12:12 AM
this thread smells worse than my anus.

LOLHilarious!

TonyR
11-29-2010, 06:54 AM
Ron Rivera

Never would have seriously considered him until last night. Great plan against Indy. Lots of positives: defensive minded coach for a change, minority hire in a state with a large hispanic population, and hurt a division rival.

colonelbeef
12-26-2010, 05:51 PM
Bump... The more I think about it, the more I like this plan

rbackfactory80
12-26-2010, 05:56 PM
I still think the Charger job will open and if I am a coach and have the opportunity to inherit Rivers and that team it would be hard to pass up.

colonelbeef
12-26-2010, 06:01 PM
I still think the Charger job will open and if I am a coach and have the opportunity to inherit Rivers and that team it would be hard to pass up.

Yeah I could see that.

I have to believe that Bowlen will be able to get his man though. Denver is a special place to coach football, and the opportunity to work with a guy like Tebow, who Gruden openly pines for, might get it done

Boltjolt
12-26-2010, 06:04 PM

Even if AJ did fire Norv, i wouldnt want Gruden.

colonelbeef
12-26-2010, 06:05 PM
Even if AJ did fire Norv, i wouldnt want Gruden.

Why not?

Gruden is a proven winner, something SD has never experienced

BroncoInferno
12-26-2010, 06:09 PM
Gruden has always called his own plays. No top notch OC is going to accept a job where they won't be able to call the plays. That would rule out a Gruden/Kubiak pairing.

Boltjolt
12-26-2010, 06:11 PM
Why not?

Gruden is a proven winner, something SD has never experienced

Yeah, we have never won anything Uhh
Championships no, but we have won divisioons which isnt anything to brag about but im sure you guys would like to at least be there right now.

You guys talk about Norv inheriting Marys team and taking it down, ....what do you think Gruden did in Tampa? Won with Dungys team and went downhill badly from there. Even Norv hasnt tanked as bad as Grudens did. A lot of players did not like Gruden. His offense is very complex and not easy to learn. Dude loves QB's and had about 5 on that team when he was there wasting roster spots. Gruden Gushed over Rivers too saying he would love to be on our staff so gushing over Tebow really means nothing when Gruden is concerned.

No Thanks...i do not want John Gruden. Ill take Jim Harbaugh over him every time.

colonelbeef
12-26-2010, 06:19 PM
Yeah, we have never won anything Uhh
Championships no, but we have won divisioons which isnt anything to brag about but im sure you guys would like to at least be there right now.

You guys talk about Norv inheriting Marys team and taking it down, ....what do you think Gruden did in Tampa? Won with Dungys team and went downhill badly from there. Even Norv hasnt tanked as bad as Grudens did. A lot of players did not like Gruden. His offense is very complex and not easy to learn. Dude loves QB's and had about 5 on that team when he was there wasting roster spots. Gruden Gushed over Rivers too saying he would love to be on our staff so gushing over Tebow really means nothing when Gruden is concerned.

No Thanks...i do not want John Gruden. Ill take Jim Harbaugh over him every time.

So if winning in Tampa was so easy, why didn't Dungy do it?

Also- Indy was winning before Dungy ever got there. Dungy simply took over what had been a 13-3 team in 99 and 00, before an injury plagued 6-10, and won on Mannings' back.

One last thing- Gruden managed to get a moderately talented Raiders team led by Rich Gannon to the AFC championship game, no small feat.

Gruden knows what it takes to win, and he hates Al Davis and the Raiders- two prerequisites in my book.

Archer81
12-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Gruden has always called his own plays. No top notch OC is going to accept a job where they won't be able to call the plays. That would rule out a Gruden/Kubiak pairing.

Mike called the offense here in Denver more often then not.

Just sayin...

:Broncos:

Gort
12-26-2010, 06:24 PM

Perfect fits all around.

Gruden + Kubiak = EPIC FAIL

Denver needs to look to the future, not the past. those guys are the past.

colonelbeef
12-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Gruden + Kubiak = EPIC FAIL

Denver needs to look to the future, not the past. those guys are the past.

You know, people were saying the same thing about Tom Coughlin when he got to the Giants, and although this season isn't going as planned, they have been happy with him there.

Same thing with Holmgren in Seattle, before he got them within a play or two of beating the Steelers and winning a super bowl

fdf
12-26-2010, 06:30 PM
We need to find the fountain of youth for our defense. Then any coach that comes in will look awesome! Take 5 years of half our starters and we'd have one helluva a team ;)

So, Cox would be what? 16? :)

extralife
12-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Mike called the offense here in Denver more often then not.

Just sayin...

and then Kubiak left to go be a head coach. He's not taking a job where he gets to be someone else's lackey. you don't hire two offensive personalities with different systems and hope they can figure it out.

Archer81
12-26-2010, 06:41 PM
and then Kubiak left to go be a head coach. He's not taking a job where he gets to be someone else's lackey. you don't hire two offensive personalities with different systems and hope they can figure it out.

Kubes spent a decade here being OC in name only a majority of the time. It would not be new for him.

Boltjolt
12-26-2010, 06:41 PM
So if winning in Tampa was so easy, why didn't Dungy do it?

Also- Indy was winning before Dungy ever got there. Dungy simply took over what had been a 13-3 team in 99 and 00, before an injury plagued 6-10, and won on Mannings' back.

One last thing- Gruden managed to get a moderately talented Raiders team led by Rich Gannon to the AFC championship game, no small feat.

Gruden knows what it takes to win, and he hates Al Davis and the Raiders- two prerequisites in my book.

Was it Gruden, or did Al have control? When has Al NOT had control? Al wasnt always senile and was a good football mind. He went south shortly after that.
Gruden took a 4-12 Raiders team and went 8-8 before wining.

Dungy took a horrible Tampa team and made them playoff contenders and took that 6-10 Colts team and won. There isnt much difference in what your trying to say except players never hated Dungy and his teams never tanked like Grudens Bucs did.

I hope you guys do hire Gruden. I know i dont want him.

Inkana7
12-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Gruden? God no.

Gort
12-26-2010, 06:46 PM
Was it Gruden, or did Al have control? When has Al NOT had control? Al wasnt always senile and was a good football mind. He went south shortly after that.
Gruden took a 4-12 Raiders team and went 8-8 before wining.

Dungy took a horrible Tampa team and made them playoff contenders and took that 6-10 Colts team and won. There isnt much difference in what your trying to say except players never hated Dungy and his teams never tanked like Grudens Bucs did.

I hope you guys do hire Gruden. I know i dont want him.

your avatar made me vomit all over my keyboard.

you owe me a new keyboard.

BroncoInferno
12-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Kubes spent a decade here being OC in name only a majority of the time. It would not be new for him.

I'd be mighty surprised if Kubes accepted an "OC in name only" job at this stage of his career. Assuming Houston actually fires him and he doesn't land another HC gig (unlikely unless Bowlen foolishly goes the "nostalgia" route), my guess is he's the hottest OC candidate on the market. He's going to have the opportunity to be a true play-calling OC. If we hire a defensive oriented coach, I could see us bringing him back. He not going to be a lackey for Gruden or anyone else at this point.

extralife
12-26-2010, 07:24 PM
And besides, if you didn't notice a rather large difference in our offense after Kubiak left, you're doing it wrong. The guy had plenty of pull with Mike.

DBroncos4life
12-26-2010, 07:32 PM
Chucky will bring Bill Callahan with him and we will be a better more powerful running team.

Hamrob
12-26-2010, 10:12 PM
The guy I want is Harbaugh!!!! Bring in Harbaugh and hire Singletary, Marvin Lewis or Phillips to be Defensive Coordinator.

NFLBRONCO
12-26-2010, 10:14 PM
the guy i want is harbaugh!!!! Bring in harbaugh and hire singletary, marvin lewis or phillips to be defensive coordinator.

ty

footstepsfrom#27
12-26-2010, 10:35 PM
What is the bizarre fascination on this board with Jim Harbaugh? Is it because he shares the Stanford connection with Elway? He's won a whopping 28 games in college, and had exactly ONE season of note, and that came with a QB who many consider the next Peyton Manning. Before that the best he could get was coaching non scholarship players, not even real college football. Even his Stanford gig is thought to have happened because his dad coached there. If we are going to go after a college guy, it ought to be someone with a documented history of success lasting more than one season. I'm sure the guy's a good coach, but that's hardly enough to be the next coach of the Denver Broncos, unless you think good...is good enough.

Who thinks that? ???

Inkana7
12-26-2010, 10:41 PM
What is the bizarre fascination on this board with Jim Harbaugh? Is it because he shares the Stanford connection with Elway? He's won a whopping 28 games in college, and had exactly ONE season of note, and that came with a QB who many consider the next Peyton Manning. Before that the best he could get was coaching non scholarship players, not even real college football. Even his Stanford gig is thought to have happened because his dad coached there. If we are going to go after a college guy, it ought to be someone with a documented history of success lasting more than one season. I'm sure the guy's a good coach, but that's hardly enough to be the next coach of the Denver Broncos, unless you think good...is good enough.

Who thinks that? ???

Stanford was good last year as well and Harbaugh has built that program from absolutely nothing. It's not like he lucked into Andrew Luck (har har), he recruited him and coached him up.

Drek
12-26-2010, 10:52 PM
Bump... The more I think about it, the more I like this plan
I'd still prefer Mike Mularkey. He actually had some good years as the HC in Buffalo of all places before they undercut him with a new GM. He got the best out of Kordell Stewart in Pittsburgh, has done wonders with Matt Ryan, and knows what its like being an HC in this league. He's been around and has the needed connections to fill out a good staff. He also had his most prominent tenure as an assistant in Pittsburgh so he's likely familiar with and very open to keeping a 3-4 defense going. Best of all he's actually still working the coaching grind and is still chasing that ring, unlike Gruden who has been in the broadcast booth working cush hours and has a title under his belt already.

Pair him up with either Mike Nolan if they replace the current staff in Miami for someone like Cowher, or Singletary if he gets fired. Get a DeCosta or Grigson to run the player acquisitions side of things. Let Mularkey fill out his assistants and let his DC do the same. Watch as this team gets significantly better overnight.

broncsyanks
12-26-2010, 10:52 PM
would love it if it happens

Boltjolt
12-26-2010, 11:33 PM

Who thinks that? ???

He would be better than Joshy. Its working for his brother in Baltimore who was a ST's coach prior to that and never been a HC at any level.

Jim was an assistant coach with the Oakland Raiders in 2002–2003. In 2002 he was an offensive assistant coach, and in 2003 he was the quarterbacks coach.
Then we went to be a HC in college , first at USD in San Diego, then Stanford. Two programs that were awful prior to him being there.
He has been successful every place he has been so far and gets raves from peers.

The Harbaughs just got it.

loborugger
12-27-2010, 10:48 AM
One pill makes you larger
and one pill makes you small
and the ones that Bowlen now gives you
dont do anything at all
go ask OMer
when he's 10 feet tall

And if you going chasing Luck
then you know you are going to fall
tell them that Elway GMing Kubiak
could lose 13 in a row
go ask OMer
when he's just small

When Ed Reeds still on your draftboard
and your ready to crown St Tebow
and you've just watched '98 season highlights
and your hopes have begun to soar
Go ask OMer
I think he'll know

When Quinn and Orton
are draft fodder for some kid
and Cowher is talking to Gruden
and the drool is on your chin
remember what the Lobo said
keep your head
keep your head
keep your head....

colonelbeef
12-27-2010, 11:18 AM
I think this pairing would accomplish three important things:

1.get the running game re-established, while the passing game is refined.

2.Get a guy in here who loves Tebow in Gruden, and another guy who knows Bowlen and Elway well.

3.Have a well established, winning coach with something left to prove who knows what playing in the AFC West is all about.

Taco John
12-27-2010, 11:21 AM
If I was Gruden, there is no way in hell I would want Kubiak breathing down my neck from the offensive coordinator's position. I'd never feel like my job was safe, even after success. If Kubiak comes in, he will only be able to come in as a head coach. It's an interim head coach position if Gary Kubiak is your offensive coordinator. This would not be a good situation.

colonelbeef
12-27-2010, 11:58 AM
If I was Gruden, there is no way in hell I would want Kubiak breathing down my neck from the offensive coordinator's position. I'd never feel like my job was safe, even after success. If Kubiak comes in, he will only be able to come in as a head coach. It's an interim head coach position if Gary Kubiak is your offensive coordinator. This would not be a good situation.

I think Kubiak needs some reputation rehabilitation, and what place better to get that done than via installing an efficient offense with Tim Tebow in Denver

Drek
12-27-2010, 12:02 PM
I think Kubiak needs some reputation rehabilitation, and what place better to get that done than via installing an efficient offense with Tim Tebow in Denver

Taco is 100% right on this. Kubiak has an existing close relationship with both Bowlen and Elway. His presence will undermine any coach you bring in, especially another offensive coach.

The only way you could have Kubiak be just an OC is if he does it opposite a defensively minded HC. Even still that HC would have to see how he's walking into a mine field if he trips up even a little at the outset.

Rohirrim
12-27-2010, 12:05 PM

Who thinks that? ???

It's because he made Toby Gerhart a star. ;D

TonyR
12-27-2010, 12:07 PM
Kubiak has an existing close relationship with both Bowlen and Elway. His presence will undermine any coach you bring in...

Along similar lines, as I've stated before, is anybody going to want to be a GM in Denver with John Elway's presence at Dove Valley?

BroncoInferno
12-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Along similar lines, as I've stated before, is anybody going to want to be a GM in Denver with John Elway's presence at Dove Valley?

Yep...Brian Xanders Uhh

Dedhed
12-27-2010, 12:36 PM

Perfect fits all around.I would be on board with this as long as Kubes is willing to ditch the ZBS. I would hate Kubes as the HC, but I think he's a great OC. I think Gruden would bring the grit and toughness that Kubes lacks.

I think Kubiak and Gruden would be great working with Tebow. Kubes was clearly impressed by Tim yesterday and we already know that Gruden loves the kid.

Harbaugh is my favorite for the HC job, but I think Gruden is a very good candidate as well.

Drek
12-27-2010, 12:45 PM

Why not? If Elway is basically replacing Ellis as Bowlen's eyes and ears over the football ops there is no problem. No GM works with complete autonomy from ownership, but instead of dealing with Bowlen or Ellis they'll just be dealing with Elway, who would filter it up to Bowlen.

Elway's position looks more like a move to line him up to be Bowlen's heir in the owner's box, not to groom him into an NFL GM. There is no threat there.

colonelbeef
12-27-2010, 12:53 PM
Why not? If Elway is basically replacing Ellis as Bowlen's eyes and ears over the football ops there is no problem. No GM works with complete autonomy from ownership, but instead of dealing with Bowlen or Ellis they'll just be dealing with Elway, who would filter it up to Bowlen.

Elway's position looks more like a move to line him up to be Bowlen's heir in the owner's box, not to groom him into an NFL GM. There is no threat there.

Right.

Elway doesn't want to be the day-to-day operations guy. He wants to have official input over personnel and front office hires, but I'd be willing to bet that he won't be stepping on anyones' toes so much as there to offer guidance and a respected opinion.

Taco John
12-27-2010, 01:56 PM

Who knows. But John Elway is supposedly coming in to be part owner and part of the long term situation here in Denver. Owners can't be fired unless they fire themselves.

Man-Goblin
12-27-2010, 02:16 PM
I'd still prefer Mike Mularkey. He actually had some good years as the HC in Buffalo of all places before they undercut him with a new GM. He got the best out of Kordell Stewart in Pittsburgh, has done wonders with Matt Ryan, and knows what its like being an HC in this league. He's been around and has the needed connections to fill out a good staff. He also had his most prominent tenure as an assistant in Pittsburgh so he's likely familiar with and very open to keeping a 3-4 defense going. Best of all he's actually still working the coaching grind and is still chasing that ring, unlike Gruden who has been in the broadcast booth working cush hours and has a title under his belt already.

Pair him up with either Mike Nolan if they replace the current staff in Miami for someone like Cowher, or Singletary if he gets fired. Get a DeCosta or Grigson to run the player acquisitions side of things. Let Mularkey fill out his assistants and let his DC do the same. Watch as this team gets significantly better overnight.

I like Morningweg for a lot of the same reasons. Plus, he can bring the Vick playbook with him and apply a lot of it to what Tebow does well.

Drek
12-28-2010, 06:54 AM
I like Morningweg for a lot of the same reasons. Plus, he can bring the Vick playbook with him and apply a lot of it to what Tebow does well.

I'd be up for Morningweg as well. Philly has done some really interesting things with mixing spread option aspects into the WCO, really taking advantage of not just Vick's speed but also Jackson's and Maclin's. That would play real well here with Lloyd, Thomas, Royal, Decker, etc.. All guys who can get down field for you.

CEH
12-28-2010, 07:19 AM
Jeff Fischer and Dinger in a combo deal.

Dinger works with Tebow and Fischer brings back toughness to the defensive side of the ball. His track record for DLine is outstanding. I get goose bumps just thinking about Fischer putting togehter a DLine with Doom and Patrick Peterson/ Champ on the corners

I would be jazzed to see this combo arrive in Denver

TonyR
12-28-2010, 08:01 AM
If Elway is basically replacing Ellis as Bowlen's eyes and ears over the football ops there is no problem. No GM works with complete autonomy from ownership, but instead of dealing with Bowlen or Ellis they'll just be dealing with Elway, who would filter it up to Bowlen.

Maybe. I hope you're right. I just suspect that a lot of legit, top tier GM candidates won't want to deal with the possibility of not being "the man" because Elway is in the room. These people have large egos and want to answer to as few people as possible, and have as much power as possible. Elway may add an element to the situation that they don't want to deal with. I guess we'll see.

BroncoInferno
12-28-2010, 08:14 AM
Jeff Fischer and Dinger in a combo deal.

Dinger works with Tebow and Fischer brings back toughness to the defensive side of the ball. His track record for DLine is outstanding. I get goose bumps just thinking about Fischer putting togehter a DLine with Doom and Patrick Peterson/ Champ on the corners

I would be jazzed to see this combo arrive in Denver

Dinger has done nothing of note as an OC, so I am not sure why you'd be "jazzed" to bring him in. Fischer has had 6 winning seasons in 15 years as the Titans head coach. He is easily the most overrated coach in the NFL. No thanks to both.

TonyR
12-28-2010, 08:23 AM
He is easily the most overrated coach in the NFL.

Agree. Fisher gets too much respect while the second longest tenured coach in the league, Andy Reid, probably doesn't get enough.

crowebomber
12-28-2010, 08:34 AM
Has anyone mentioned Steve Mariucci as a possible candidate? He would be great for Tebow, and you have to give him a mulligan for his lack of success in Detroit because Millen screwed that up so badly. In San Fran he was in the playoffs 4 out of 6 years.

TonyR
12-28-2010, 08:36 AM
...Steve Mariucci...

About the only name Woody missed in his column today...

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_16955095

crowebomber
12-28-2010, 08:42 AM

The Chargers are less appealing because of the current questions about a new stadium. There is a much more serious buzz about them going to LA in the next few years. It's rumored that they recently hired Goldman Sachs to sell owner Alex Spanos' 36 percent stake in the club, and that they might have done that to pave the way for Philip Anschutz who is proposing a $1 billion stadium in LA.