PDA

View Full Version : Mike Nolen:

LonghornBronco
11-28-2010, 08:55 AM
the man behind the 6-0 start.

I like this choice if Bowlen decides to can Josh. He's familiar with the personel, the offence and the organization. He has experience as the head guy, discovered what works and what doesn't.

Flame away...

LonghornBronco
11-28-2010, 09:02 AM
In early 2009 Mike Nolan became the defensive coordinator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defensive_coordinator) of the Denver Broncos under Josh McDaniels (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_McDaniels). With a new 3-4 defense (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-4_defense) the Denver Broncos gave up the fewest points in the NFL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL) (66) during the first six games of the season, and made their way to their first 6-0 start since the 1998 season in which they won Super Bowl XXXIII (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXXIII). The Broncos went 2 and 8 the rest of the way, and missed the playoffs. On January 18, 2010 Mike Nolan and Josh McDaniels mutually decided Nolan would resign as the defensive coordinator of the Denver Broncos.

<SUP>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Nolan</SUP><SUP id=cite_ref-blogs.nfl.com_0-1 class=reference></SUP>

2KBack
11-28-2010, 09:06 AM
30th
32nd
20th

question: What were the Defensive rankings of Mike Nolan's 49ers?

LonghornBronco
11-28-2010, 09:26 AM
Interesting article.

Peyton Manning and the Colts forced Mike Nolan from Denver

It gives me a small measure of pride that the Colts seemingly played a significant part in the break-up of the short-lived Josh McDaniels-Mike Nolan marriage in Denver.
It's no secret that THE reason the Broncos (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/DEN) won anything last year was because of their defense. Josh McDaniels is an offensive coach, and when he was (mistakenly) hired as Denver's new head man he hired former 49ers (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/SFX) coach Mike Nolan to run the defense. The coaching set-up was McDaniels ran the offense and did next to nothing with the defense. That was Nolan's territory.
When the Broncos started the 2009 season going 6-0, their defense was ranked #1 in the NFL, surrendering 11 points-per-game. Meanwhile, their offense was scoring 22 ppg, which is not "bad," but it was certainly not setting the world on fire.
After Denver's bye week, the team lost four games in a row, and ended the year losing 8 of 10. However, the real landslide with the Broncos occurred during Week Fourteen against the Colts. According to Mike Klis of the Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15205066?source=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dp-sports-broncos+%28Denver+Post%3A+Sports%3A+Broncos%29), players say the the rift between McDaniels and Nolan turned into the Grand Canyon during that game.

From Klis, via PFT (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/03/one-story-behind-mike-nolans-denver-departure/):
As I was told by several players, the beginning of the end for Nolan was the Indianapolis Colts (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/IND)' game — the 13th of the season. To review, the Broncos carried an 8-4 record into that game, having won their last two. McDaniels won the coin toss, deferred, and then Peyton Manning (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2807/Peyton_Manning) put the Colts up 21-0 after three possessions. During that 21-0 blitzkrieg, Nolan called some plays — particularly the run-blitz — that McDaniels didn't like. The hostile way McDaniels handled that communication breakdown was not well-received by Nolan. A month and four consecutive losses later, Nolan and McDaniels mutually agreed to part ways, without much comment.

Klis goes on to say that Denver's new defensive coordinator, Don "Wink" Martindale, will be more "obedient" to McDaniels. Seriously? "Obedient?" He's a coach, not a dog.
I've made no secret about my utter disdain for Josh McDaniels. Denver made a big mistake hiring the guy, as evidenced by the team's collapse following their bye week. The Broncos should have hired former Colts defensive assistant Leslie Frazier, who was a finalist for the job with McDaniels in 2009. Frazier has done wonders for the Minnesota Vikings (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/MIN) defense since he took over for Mike Tomlin in 2007. So, it is with a certain measure of pride that, according to Klis, it was the Colts that exposed another one of McDaniels' petty little "dictator moments." Since he was named head coach in Denver, McDaniels has run out of town the franchise QB, the franchise's best wide receiver, and now his hand-picked defensive coordinator. He's replaced them with people who are not necessarily more talented, but are seemingly more "obedient."
But, hey... I'm not going to complain about Denver continuing to weaken their team. I just feel a bit sorry for Leslie Frazier and for Broncos fans. Frazier deserved that job over McDaniels, and Broncos owner Pay Bowlen was stupid to pick yet another over-rated New England assistant to run an NFL franchise.

Drek
11-28-2010, 09:29 AM
the man behind the 6-0 start.

I like this choice if Bowlen decides to can Josh. He's familiar with the personel, the offence and the organization. He has experience as the head guy, discovered what works and what doesn't.

Flame away...

During the 6-0 start both Nolan and McDaniels, just like the rest of last season, were each heavily involved in the defensive game plan week to week.

That is the reason Nolan isn't here. He wanted defensive autonomy and McDaniels wanted a more aggressive blitzing D than what Nolan generally operates. The two were not looking for the same things out of the position, had nothing to do with Nolan being the soul director of our defense during the 6-0 start.

Broncoman13
11-28-2010, 09:52 AM
During the 6-0 start both Nolan and McDaniels, just like the rest of last season, were each heavily involved in the defensive game plan week to week.

That is the reason Nolan isn't here. He wanted defensive autonomy and McDaniels wanted a more aggressive blitzing D than what Nolan generally operates. The two were not looking for the same things out of the position, had nothing to do with Nolan being the soul director of our defense during the 6-0 start.

Hahaha, you're still believing this bit! Drek buddy, I'm not sure what happened or when you decided to stick your head so far up McD's ass, but you should be careful up there, if he makes a sudden turn he's going to snap your neck!

The Denver Broncos don't blitz. McD's style of play is to force teams into long drives hoping (praying) that they make a mistake.

tsiguy96
11-28-2010, 10:06 AM

dont let facts get in the way of their good story.

i love how in all these cases there is zero proof of anything people say, but they say it anyway.

Pony Boy
11-28-2010, 10:08 AM
Mike Nolen profiles |LinkedIn View the profiles of professionals named Mike Nolen on LinkedIn.

There are 25 professionals named Mike Nolen, who use LinkedIn to exchange information, ...
www.linkedin.com/pub/dir/Mike/Nolen - Cached

TonyR
11-28-2010, 10:19 AM
Interesting article.

It certainly is. And it doesn't jive with TJ's, and others', constant statements that things fell apart when McD took over the defense much earlier.

Beantown Bronco
11-28-2010, 10:31 AM
Mike Nolan is a horrible head coach and has a history of epic defensive failures over the 2nd half of seasons in his career. Pass.

worm
11-28-2010, 11:22 AM

I know you keep repeating this....but it is interesting that when Al Groh turned down the Dolphin DC job prior to Nolan, Al implied that he would not have the defensive autonomy he was looking for with the Dolphins because Bill was not the coach. Yet Nolan takes that job because he would suddenly have autonomy?

IMO, at best, that was a lateral move by Nolan with only one benefit. He wouldn't have to work with Josh.

oubronco
11-28-2010, 11:36 AM

Well we sure aren't getting a more aggressive blitzing D i'm not sure what you call the defensive scheme we've gotten since Nolan left but I call it dogshyt

listopencil
11-28-2010, 11:40 AM
I'm not sure what happened or when you decided to stick your head so far up McD's ass, but you should be careful up there, if he makes a sudden turn he's going to snap your neck!

...and this type of posting style is exactly why the Mane has been losing quality posters.

Drek
11-28-2010, 11:40 AM
I know you keep repeating this....but it is interesting that when Al Groh turned down the Dolphin DC job prior to Nolan, Al implied that he would not have the defensive autonomy he was looking for with the Dolphins because Bill was not the coach. Yet Nolan takes that job because he would suddenly have autonomy?

IMO, at best, that was a lateral move by Nolan with only one benefit. He wouldn't have to work with Josh.

Nolan is personally friends with Sporano. He and Josh share an agent.

So if he's not going to have autonomy why wouldn't he choose the position where he works with a friend who has like-minded views of defensive strategy?

If your boss told you that you could either live near your family and friends, working with colleagues who held similar professional views, or work where your only tie to your colleagues is that you work for the same company and yet have differing views as to how best you should accomplish your job which position would you choose, given that the role you would be in was identical?

The more important question here is why did McDaniels feel he needed such power over the defensive side of the ball, despite getting a veteran like Nolan as the DC, and why did Bowlen/Ellis set up a power structure that promoted such an outcome.

McDaniels needed a guiding voice in all this, not to be thrown to the wolves. Instead McDaniels is learning the ropes on our dime. If he's fired I'd expect him to be a successful OC for several years before getting another HC job where he'd find immediate success and then everyone will whine about us letting him go.

Beantown Bronco
11-28-2010, 11:45 AM
i'm not sure what you call the defensive scheme we've gotten since Nolan left but I call it dogshyt

Just like it was for the last two months under his watch. He gets figured out every year and every year he has trouble adjusting.

oubronco
11-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Just like it was for the last two months under his watch. He gets figured out every year and every year he has trouble adjusting.

Well Wink hasn't won me over either

Beantown Bronco
11-28-2010, 11:49 AM

No, me neither. But he certainly hasn't been helped out by the injury bug going around this season. One would have to assume that a healthy Dumervil, Ayers and Goodman would have helped him out a lot.

oubronco
11-28-2010, 11:53 AM
No, me neither. But he certainly hasn't been helped out by the injury bug going around this season. One would have to assume that a healthy Dumervil, Ayers and Goodman would have helped him out a lot.

Doom and Ayers would have helped alot but Goodman just doesn't seem to be much better than Cox to me and I don't believe they utilize the blitz enough

TonyR
11-28-2010, 12:09 PM
...Goodman just doesn't seem to be much better than Cox...

Goodman is a solid pro CB, a very good #2 paired with Champ. He doesn't have the raw talent or upside that Cox has but a healthy Goodman right now is a significant upgrade from the raw Cox.

dsmoot
11-28-2010, 01:32 PM
...and this type of posting style is exactly why the Mane has been losing quality posters.

Good point. As a whole, do we know how to accept an opposing point of view without destroying one personally. Is this how we treat our coworkers? It is called mutual respect.

tsiguy96
11-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Good point. As a whole, do we know how to accept an opposing point of view without destroying one personally. Is this how we treat our coworkers? It is called mutual respect.

irrelevant. this is the OM, you can say whatever you want about anyone with zero chance of moderation.

dsmoot
11-28-2010, 01:58 PM

Everyone, which DC has won us over in the last 5 - 10 years??? Collectively, we have criticized every person who has fulfilled that role. I mean everyone of them. What has been the common denominator? Could it be just a general lack of overall talent? Sure we have had Champ, Dumervil, DJ (sometimes) playing at a high level and then a host of free agents and draft choices who simply haven't performed well enough to stick or get in the starting lineup. We need to face the reality that our defense has not been good enough except for six games last year and maybe 2005. We absolutely stink in our blitz packages. We put no pressure on the QB. We have generally been poor against the run. I have seen team after team gouge us for big running performances or just blow us out in recent years than I can ever remember. Performances like the Titans, Jets and KC games are more an illusion than the measure of our team. I am sick of the Denver Broncos being uncompetitive, especially when important games are on the line. This goes way back into Shanahan's time.

dsmoot
11-28-2010, 02:01 PM
irrelevant. this is the OM, you can say whatever you want about anyone with zero chance of moderation.

Obviously. Moderation and respect for others starts within.