PDA

View Full Version : Bowlen and McDaniels statements

montrose
11-27-2010, 11:09 AM
From Bowlen:

“I received notice today that the National Football League has completed its investigation of an incident involving our club’s violation of the League’s Integrity of the Game Policy, specifically a videotaping of a portion of the San Francisco 49ers’ “walkthrough” practice on Saturday, Oct. 30, 2010, at Wembley Stadium in London. Upon learning of this incident, the Denver Broncos promptly began an investigation into this matter and reported this violation to the League office, which then started its investigation. The Denver Broncos fully cooperated with every aspect of the League investigation.”

“The Denver Broncos and I, as the Owner, believe in the integrity of the National Football League and fair competition and do not, in any way, condone this type of behavior. The fact that an employee of the Denver Broncos would take such action is personally disappointing to me. I apologize to all affected by this incident. This employee is no longer with the organization.

“This incident cuts into the trust and respect our fans, our ticket holders, our community and our fellow competitors have for our organization. That is why the Denver Broncos, upon learning of this violation, immediately investigated this matter and reported the incident to the League.

“The Denver Broncos and I accept the discipline imposed by the NFL. We will take all steps to ensure that an incident like this never occurs again. We will always strive to uphold the integrity of our organization and the National Football League.”

From head coach Josh McDaniels:

“I apologize for not promptly reporting the improper conduct of our video director before our game against the 49ers in London. The actions of this individual are in no way representative of the values and integrity held by myself, our players and coaches, and the entire Denver Broncos organization.”

“I understand the punishment from the National Football League and support its commitment to the integrity of the game. We have addressed the situation internally to assure that nothing like this happens again.”

HILife
11-27-2010, 11:27 AM
I'm really going to miss that top ten first round pick. :(

EDIT: The more I think about it the more it pains me and I am very upset over this. All that possible talent we could've picked up in the draft....gone, just like that.

EDIT the EDIT: First.

EDIT the EDIT's EDIT: I'm hearing now it's only a fine since the broncos reported it. Anybody know what the fine is.

frerottenextelway
11-27-2010, 11:30 AM
You know things aren't going well when your coach uses the word "apologize" as often as he has been lately.

That One Guy
11-27-2010, 11:36 AM
I don't like that McD basically admits to knowing about it before the 9ers game but appologizes for not telling anyone. That's hard to prove he wasn't part of the scheme at that point. Is a video guy really going to take it upon himself to videotape someone else's walkthrough? That's a huge decision for one person to make and if he did, he should've been paying his own way back from London. Hopefully they can windowdress this well enough but McD admitting he knew about it before the game but didn't tell anyone is a near facepalm for the Broncos.

NYBronco
11-27-2010, 11:40 AM
You know things aren't going well when your coach uses the word "apologize" as often as he has been lately.

I didn't enjoy "apologizing" recently for my coworkers and their inappropriate actions to a respected client.

Quoydogs
11-27-2010, 11:44 AM
So how many last straws does this guys get ?

Bad Picks

Bad Trades

and now he pulls a belocheat.

If he new about this before the 49er's game then he should have reported this before the 9er's game. End of story. We are a classy organization and I would hate our name to be tarnished by this.

HILife
11-27-2010, 11:47 AM
So how many last straws does this guys get ?

Bad Picks

Bad Trades

and now he pulls a belocheat.

If he new about this before the 49er's game then he should have reported this before the 9er's game. End of story. We are a classy organization and I would hate our name to be tarnished by this.

Ok, get your facts straight. Its already been shown that he had nothing to do with it. Stop trying to make it look worse then it is, for your own personal gain. Now all that other stuff you said, well it's up for debate.

Quoydogs
11-27-2010, 11:50 AM
Ok, get your facts straight. Its already been shown that he had nothing to do with it. Stop trying to make it look worse then it is, for your own personal gain. Now all that other stuff you said, well it's up for debate.

Come on man, do you actually think that he did not have something to do with this. It's called a fall guy, and that is what he used.

yerner
11-27-2010, 11:51 AM
I guess I'm supposed to believe some film guy did this all by himself hoping to lose his job? As if from day one he worked in the tape department and didn't know if taping the other team was ok? Wouldn't that be the first thing the team told you?

HILife
11-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Come on man, do you actually think that he did not have something to do with this. It's called a fall guy, and that is what he used.

Oh yea, I would not be surprised if he had something to do with it, but it's innocent until proven guilty. All we can go on is what is reported, until something different is reported, it's a "case closed" for me.

That's what's wrong with the world, someone yells rape, your labeled for life. Even if the courts find you 100% innocent, in the eyes of the world, your still a rapist.

Popps
11-27-2010, 12:11 PM
Oh yea, I would not be surprised if he had something to do with it, but it's innocent until proven guilty. All we can go on is what is reported, until something different is reported, it's a "case closed" for me.

That's what's wrong with the world, someone yells rape, your labeled for life. Even if the courts find you 100% innocent, in the eyes of the world, your still a rapist.

It just looks bad for the organization. McDaniels shouldn't have taken the risk of hiring him. So, the criticism is valid to a point.

But, we have an official story from both sides, now... and it does appear that McD did the proper thing once he realized what had happened.

All we can do is take the story of all parties involved for face value... because no matter how much we bicker, it is what it is. The NFL has moved on, and we escaped a much, much worse fate.

WABronco
11-27-2010, 12:36 PM
We got a damn rogue video dude on our team. I'm sure he was just doing that for his personal collection.

tsiguy96
11-27-2010, 12:38 PM
mcdaniels reported himself and the team to the NFL, why would he do that if he was trying to do this to gain a competitive advantage ala bellichek?

DBroncos4life
11-27-2010, 12:40 PM
We got a damn rogue video dude on our team. I'm sure he was just doing that for his personal collection.

What job doesn't have that one rouge employee running around! Really I'm impressed to see a member of McDs staff working.

DBroncos4life
11-27-2010, 12:42 PM
mcdaniels reported himself and the team to the NFL, why would he do that if he was trying to do this to gain a competitive advantage ala bellichek?

I guess that makes it all better then

HILife
11-27-2010, 12:43 PM

That is a very good point. If he really wanted the advantage, why tell a guy to go record it, then turn him in when he does it? Entrapment?

DBroncos4life
11-27-2010, 12:46 PM
That is a very good point. If he really wanted the advantage, why tell a guy to go record it, then turn him in when he does it? Entrapment?

I guess you don't know how fall guys work.

HILife
11-27-2010, 12:49 PM
I guess you don't know how fall guys work.

I know what a "fall guy" is, but no one caught the Broncos, the Broncos turned themselves in. I guess he didn't like the video director and was trying to find a way to get him fired. Mission accomplished.

Quoydogs
11-27-2010, 12:50 PM

Why did it take him 3 weeks to report it ?

HILife
11-27-2010, 12:51 PM

hhhmmm didn't know it took 3 weeks. That is strange. forgot?

Taco John
11-27-2010, 12:54 PM
Why would they turn themselves in? Because they suspected that they got caught.

How could anyone really believe that this started with the 1-6 San Francisco 49ers.

I can't decide which is worse: having a film cheating program from week to week that gets every opponent on film for competitive advantage, or having this being a one time occurance and having a rogue film guy believing that the Broncos needed a competitive advantage against the 1-6 San Francisco 49ers.

McDaniels runs a joke of a program.

DBroncos4life
11-27-2010, 12:55 PM
hhhmmm didn't know it took 3 weeks. That is strange. forgot?he forgot? The last team that did this lost a first round pick and he was a coach of that team.

HILife
11-27-2010, 12:57 PM
he forgot? The last team that did this lost a first round pick and he was a coach of that team.

Calm down. I wasn't serious. 1 and 2 and 3, breath easy.

tsiguy96
11-27-2010, 12:57 PM
if they wanted a competitive advantage they wouldnt turn themselves in afterwards, it doesnt make sense. they coulda possibly got away with it, but they callled the office and told them. mcdaniels shoulda never hired this guy, but he also dealt with it in a professional way as possible.

Taco John
11-27-2010, 12:58 PM
if they wanted a competitive advantage they wouldnt turn themselves in afterwards, it doesnt make sense. they coulda possibly got away with it, but they callled the office and told them. mcdaniels shoulda never hired this guy, but he also dealt with it in a professional way as possible.

They would turn themselves in if they had reason to believe that they got caught.

WABronco
11-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Bowlen should get a crony to break McD's kneecaps. I'd imagine he's pretty peeved at having to even make a statement.

Broncoman13
11-27-2010, 01:02 PM

PR move. Self report it and you can at least deny some of it. Nice spin move by the Broncos but most will not forget or forgive this. Glad it isn't costing my favoorite team more... but you won't see me supporting McD or any of this front office again.

tsiguy96
11-27-2010, 01:03 PM
They would turn themselves in if they had reason to believe that they got caught.

thats one theory, the NFL disagrees with you, obviously. but what do they know, they only did the entire investigation that was instigated by mcdaniels reporting himself and the team to the NFL.

Quoydogs
11-27-2010, 01:04 PM

How could anyone really believe that this started with the 1-6 San Francisco 49ers.

I can't decide which is worse: having a film cheating program from week to week that gets every opponent on film for competitive advantage, or having this being a one time occurance and having a rogue film guy believing that the Broncos needed a competitive advantage against the 1-6 San Francisco 49ers.

Just watched it and I quote. " I thought I did the right thing by not telling anyone "

So why did he wait 3 weeks and then tell someone ? Sorry but he new, I am now done with him.

He is ruining this organization, something needs to be done.

gunns
11-27-2010, 01:05 PM

I don't see anywhere in that article where it states McD reported it himself.

“I apologize for not promptly reporting the improper conduct of our video director before our game against the 49ers in London.

DBroncos4life
11-27-2010, 01:05 PM
thats one theory, the NFL disagrees with you, obviously. but what do they know, they only did the entire investigation that was instigated by mcdaniels reporting himself and the team to the NFL.

You still have the guy likes to video tape dude defense left tsi.

Taco John
11-27-2010, 01:11 PM

The NFL disagrees with me how? You're reading into things now.

This incident doesn't really matter. It's barely a scratch on the surface of why Josh McDaniels is a terrible coach who should be fired and run out of town.

tsiguy96
11-27-2010, 01:14 PM
The NFL disagrees with me how? You're reading into things now.

This incident doesn't really matter. It's barely a scratch on the surface of why Josh McDaniels is a terrible coach who should be fired and run out of town.

because the NFL gave him a 50k fine for having it happen under his watch, they didnt take draft picks or fine him 250k like they did bellichek.

Soul-Bronco
11-27-2010, 01:17 PM
anyone hear the ellis call?

tsiguy96
11-27-2010, 01:17 PM
roger goodell
Goodell’s letter carefully points out that the investigation revealed no active culpability on McDaniels’ part. “Our investigators immediately and independently interviewed Coach McDaniels and did so under circumstances that would have made it impossible for him to have spoken to Mr. Scarnecchia in advance. (It is also significant that your staff had not previously discussed the matter with Coach McDaniels; thus, his meeting with NFL Security was the first time that he had been questioned on the matter.) Coach McDaniels recounted essentially the same sequence of events as Mr. Scarnnechia had previously disclosed — namely, that Mr. Scarnecchia had come to him and advised that he had recorded the walk-thru, and that Coach McDaniels told Mr. Scarnecchia that he was not interested in watching the tape and did not do so,” Goodell wrote.

“Based on our investigation, we have found no evidence to suggest that Coach McDaniels or any other member of the coaching staff watched the tape. Nor have we identified any evidence to suggest that any member of the coaching staff or club management directed Mr. Scarnecchia to record the practice. We are aware of no evidence that would indicate the recording of any other opposing team practices or walk-thrus, or the like. And there is no reason to believe that the improper videotaping in London had any competitive effect on the October 31 game between the Broncos and 49ers.”

DBroncos4life
11-27-2010, 01:18 PM
because the NFL gave him a 50k fine for having it happen under his watch, they didnt take draft picks or fine him 250k like they did bellichek.

Maybe they feel bad that we cheat and still lose

Taco John
11-27-2010, 01:19 PM

Whatever you want to believe man. This was all about a rogue film guy trying to get a competitive advantage against the Niners, I tell ya...

tsiguy96
11-27-2010, 01:21 PM
Whatever you want to believe man. This was all about a rogue film guy trying to get a competitive advantage against the Niners, I tell ya...

not what i want to believe, its what roger goodell and the NFL came with as an impartial investigation. its what happened, not another OM conspiracy theory.

DBroncos4life
11-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Of course they don't think we watched the tape, we ****ing lost to a troy smith lead 49er team with one win. Who couldn't lie their way out of that??????

Taco John
11-27-2010, 01:25 PM
not what i want to believe, its what roger goodell and the NFL came with as an impartial investigation. its what happened, not another OM conspiracy theory.

No one is suprised at your naivety. But all are enjoying the spectacle. Hilarious!

DBroncos4life
11-27-2010, 01:27 PM
No one is suprised at your naivety. But all are enjoying the spectacle. Hilarious!

So true.

Beantown Bronco
11-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Just watched it and I quote. " I thought I did the right thing by not telling anyone "

So why did he wait 3 weeks and then tell someone ? Sorry but he new, I am now done with him.

He is ruining this organization, something needs to be done.

He didn't wait three weeks. Do you really think the NFL started and finished their investigation just today? Wow.

It looks like he told Bowlen immediately or within days of the event. Bowlen did his internal investigation and fired the guy. He was then the one to notify the league sometime over a week ago.

DBroncos4life
11-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Tsi if you ever find yourself at a moonie party don't drink the cool aid

eddie mac
11-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Just another reason for the anti-McD brigade to get their pitchforks out.

theAPAOps5
11-27-2010, 01:35 PM
Ok, I can't get past where Josh said he thought he was doing the right thing by not telling anyone. That is a forehead slapper! Jesus man!

DBroncos4life
11-27-2010, 01:39 PM

Clearly we need another one worse then the other reasons. At least he doesn't let us down in this area

enjolras
11-27-2010, 01:41 PM
It's the NFL...if there had been even a hint that this had happened it would have been all over ESPN. We hadn't heard a peep until the team turned themselves in. This should reflect positively on McDaniels... I don't see any other way to spin it.

colonelbeef
11-27-2010, 01:43 PM

McDaniels is handing out the pitchforks himself. Can't be shocked when they are eventually utilized.

colonelbeef
11-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Ok, I can't get past where Josh said he thought he was doing the right thing by not telling anyone. That is a forehead slapper! Jesus man!

Either he is that stupid, or he is being disingenuous. There is no way around it. Josh McDaniels is a lot of things, but he is not a stupid man.

orangenblue
11-27-2010, 01:51 PM
Like I said before McDaniels is too young and immature to be an NFL head coach. Bowlen has lost his marbles hiring this guy.

Taco John
11-27-2010, 01:53 PM
The guy who got busted was the same guy that got busted the last time.
Josh McDaniels found out but didn't tell anyone.
8 days later, Joe Ellis found out, and immediately contacted the NFL.
Joe Ellis did not find this out from Josh McDaniels.

lostknight
11-27-2010, 01:54 PM

And apparently the NFL heard from someone else prior to Ellis informing them.

NFL is keeping some details of investigation confidential. Like who reported the violations.

Drek
11-27-2010, 01:57 PM
He reported it when the team returned from London, at which point the Broncos conducted an internal investigation which they turned over to the league, who then conducted their own investigation, and its now breaking.

The time gap you're referring to is one weekend, not 3 weeks.

It actually makes complete sense, since team practices were held in the same building and both teams knew when they other would be practicing. Maybe the film director would have done it if we were in a Super Bowl or some other setup where we did our walk throughs in the same building, but we've never been in that opportunity until the London game.

Chances are this is how the film director feels he can most help the team, regardless of who the opponent is, and wanted to show the value of his employment.

What this does continue to underscore though is just how small Josh McDaniels' NFL circle really is. He simply doesn't have the connections throughout the league to staff this team with anything more than people he's worked with previously, people he shares an agent with, or positional coaches looking to make the next big step up in their careers and learn on the job here.

Taco John
11-27-2010, 02:09 PM
This is how the film director, the same guy who got busted cheating for the Pats, thought that he could best help the organization... That would be a great defense if it didn't totally implicate Josh.

rbackfactory80
11-27-2010, 02:10 PM
Some people will make excuses, it only natural to defend something you love however irrational that may be.

epicSocialism4tw
11-27-2010, 02:12 PM
I guess I'm supposed to believe some film guy did this all by himself hoping to lose his job? As if from day one he worked in the tape department and didn't know if taping the other team was ok? Wouldn't that be the first thing the team told you?

Yeah, it just doesnt make any sense.

theAPAOps5
11-27-2010, 02:14 PM

This is how the film director, the same guy who got busted cheating for the Pats, thought that he could best help the organization... That would be a great defense if it didn't totally implicate Josh.

You do know that this isn't the same guy that got busted for the Pats right? He was working for the Jets when Spygate happened.

Steve Scarnecchia stopped working for the Pats in 2004, Spygate happened in 2007. I know you hate McD but don't want you to get egg on your face saying the wrong things.

gunns
11-27-2010, 02:18 PM
So true.

Beat me to the exact words I was going to post.

epicSocialism4tw
11-27-2010, 02:20 PM

It wasnt enough to trade away our talent, throw away draft picks, and lose a bunch of games...now we share shame with the stinkin' Patriots.

Disaster.

gunns
11-27-2010, 02:28 PM
You do know that this isn't the same guy that got busted for the Pats right? He was working for the Jets when Spygate happened.

Steve Scarnecchia stopped working for the Pats in 2004, Spygate happened in 2007. I know you hate McD but don't want you to get egg on your face saying the wrong things.

He's the son of Dante Scarnecchia who has been with the Pats for over 26 years. I don't believe the fact Steve is no longer with the Pats and wasn't when Spygate happened can lessen the connection to the Pats.

Broncos4tw
11-27-2010, 02:28 PM
Why even hire the dude if he is THIS irresponsible? Not that I believe he did this all of his own accord. If he did however, the onus falls on McD for hiring a known cheat.. and then NOT immediately reporting it. Just more inexperience biting us in our Broncobutt.

theAPAOps5
11-27-2010, 02:30 PM
He's the son of Dante Scarnecchia who has been with the Pats for over 26 years. I don't believe the fact Steve is no longer with the Pats and wasn't when Spygate happened can lessen the connection to the Pats.

No you are right he was involved. But I just wanted to warn TJ that this isn't the same guy who got busted in spygate. Now he was involved with taping, as the Pats were found to have been doing it for years. That is true, but he wasn't busted in the first Spygate. He was with the Jets during the Spygate scandal.

orangemonkey
11-27-2010, 02:33 PM

Bull****. Dante has been the offensive line coach forever. The Spygate allegations covered the the period from 2000-2007. Stevie was definitely involved and Senator Specter was pissed that the NFL focused on the 2007 Jets allegation only and burned the rest of the evidence.

SureShot
11-27-2010, 02:35 PM

Bill Belichick admitted illegal taping back to 2000 and SS was there when they allegedly taped the Rams walk through before the Super Bowl.

lostknight
11-27-2010, 02:40 PM
He reported it when the team returned from London, at which point the Broncos conducted an internal investigation which they turned over to the league, who then conducted their own investigation, and its now breaking.

Two corrections - it was a week, not 3 or a weekend. Also, he didn't not report it. Someone else reported it to Ellis.

What this does continue to underscore though is just how small Josh McDaniels' NFL circle really is. He simply doesn't have the connections throughout the league to staff this team with anything more than people he's worked with previously, people he shares an agent with, or positional coaches looking to make the next big step up in their careers and learn on the job here.[/QUOTE]

theAPAOps5
11-27-2010, 02:46 PM
Bill Belichick admitted illegal taping back to 2000 and SS was there when they allegedly taped the Rams walk through before the Super Bowl.

He wasn't the guy busted for it in Spygate, in fact he was with the Jets when they ratted on Belicheck. Facts are Facts.

McD shouldn't have ever hired the guy because, like some have eloquently pointed out, he was involved with taping during his years at the Pats. That I agree with.

SureShot
11-27-2010, 02:51 PM
He wasn't the guy busted for it in Spygate, in fact he was with the Jets when they ratted on Belicheck. Facts are Facts.

McD shouldn't have ever hired the guy because, like some have eloquently pointed out, he was involved with taping during his years at the Pats. That I agree with.

Then why is the NFL considering a lifetime ban for a 1st time offender?

orangemonkey
11-27-2010, 02:51 PM

Ok McAapa, read the excerpt below and tell me, if you are right, why exactly is McStevie boy considered a repeat offender and in jeopardy of an NFL ban????

The NFL investigation determined that Steve Scarnecchia took the six-minute video of the walkthrough and presented it that day to McDaniels. The coach declined to view it.
But the NFL fined both the coach and team because the matter was not reported, as required by league policy.
Scarnecchia was fired by the Broncos.
Goodell has notified him that as a repeat violator of league rules regarding integrity, he will have a hearing to determine if he is banned from the NFL.
McDaniels was Bill Belichick’s offensive coordinator during the original “Spygate” involving the Patriots in 2007.
Scarnecchia worked in the Patriots video department from 2000-to-2005.
His father, Dante, is the Patriots assistant head coach and longtime offensive line coach.

theAPAOps5
11-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Ok McAapa, read the excerpt below and tell me, if you are right, why exactly is McStevie boy considered a repeat offender and in jeopardy of an NFL ban????

The NFL investigation determined that Steve Scarnecchia took the six-minute video of the walkthrough and presented it that day to McDaniels. The coach declined to view it.
But the NFL fined both the coach and team because the matter was not reported, as required by league policy.
Scarnecchia was fired by the Broncos.
Goodell has notified him that as a repeat violator of league rules regarding integrity, he will have a hearing to determine if he is banned from the NFL.
McDaniels was Bill Belichick’s offensive coordinator during the original “Spygate” involving the Patriots in 2007.
Scarnecchia worked in the Patriots video department from 2000-to-2005.
His father, Dante, is the Patriots assistant head coach and longtime offensive line coach.

He wasn't busted, as in he wasn't videotaping. He was with the jets when the scandal happened. But he is guilty because he was on the staff during years that the Pats were found to be guilty. That is why he is a repeat offender. Am I using too big of words for you buddy? Does my point make sense. Or are you going to call me names like you are doing with others?

orangemonkey
11-27-2010, 02:56 PM
He wasn't busted, as in he wasn't videotaping. He was with the jets when the scandal happened. But he is guilty because he was on the staff during years that the Pats were found to be guilty. That is why he is a repeat offender. Am I using too big of words for you buddy? Does my point make sense. Or are you going to call me names like you are doing with others?

I'm calling only one person names because he deserves it. And you are still wrong so beat it.

theAPAOps5
11-27-2010, 02:56 PM
I'm calling only one person names because he deserves it. And you are still wrong so beat it.

No I am not wrong, child

theAPAOps5
11-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Then why is the NFL considering a lifetime ban for a 1st time offender?

He was on the staff of the Pats when the NFL found them guilty of taping. He wasn't busted during spygate but since he was on the staff he is considered guilty. Does that make sense its not that hard to figure out. Despite what the child orangemonkey is saying.

Anyone on the staff during those years is considered an offender.

orangemonkey
11-27-2010, 03:01 PM
He was on the staff of the Pats when the NFL found them guilty of taping. He wasn't busted during spygate but since he was on the staff he is considered guilty. Does that make sense its not that hard to figure out. Despite what the child orangemonkey is saying.

In your words, he wasn't busted...but he is considered guilty. Ok got it. Thanks for the clarification. You are a genius.

theAPAOps5
11-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Actually its kind of like that. He was with the Jets when the scandal broke. So he was on the team who ratted out the Pats but because he was also with the Pats during years they were found to have taped he was guilty.

He was on both sides of the coin actually. Thanks for getting my point. No reason to be angry. I don't disagree it was a bad decision hiring him. Just wanted to point out he wasn't the one guy busted taping during Spygate 1 like Taco was implying in the first post.

orangemonkey
11-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Actually its kind of like that. He was with the Jets when the scandal broke. So he was on the team who ratted out the Pats but because he was also with the Pats during years they were found to have taped he was guilty.

He was on both sides of the coin actually. Thanks for getting my point. No reason to be angry. I don't disagree it was a bad decision hiring him. Just wanted to point out he wasn't the one guy busted taping during Spygate 1 like Taco was implying in the first post.

Sorry buddy you are still wrong. There was a lot of data that came forward during the 2007 case (most driven by Specter) that claimed Stevie was the brain and trainer behind the clandestine videography that took place in New England while he was there. Dig into it on google and you will find it. If you can't let me know and I'll forward you some links.

TotallyScrewed

Wow...just wow.

I really thought that there was very little chance that Bowlen would fire McDaniels this year. I'm starting to rethink that. Bowlen has/had a great rep. in the league. Can he afford this?

If McDaniels' actions had lost us the first round pick, he may have needed extra special security. Of course, having the league take it away would spare him the grief of blowing the chance at a great player and would save Bowlen some dollars way beyond a $50k fine...

I don't buy into a conspiracy theories.

theAPAOps5
Well we are arguing semantics and I am not wrong but thanks for the adult debate! :spit:

zdoor
11-27-2010, 03:16 PM
It's been one controversy after another since the guy was hired. I have never seen a team go from one divisive event to another in such a short period of time. Embarrassing and indefensible. Ask yourself what your opinion of this regime would be if it was the Raiders, Chiefs or Chargers... we have gone from one of the best organizations in the NFL to a fully dysfunctional franchise...

lostknight
11-27-2010, 03:28 PM
I really thought that there was very little chance that Bowlen would fire McDaniels this year. I'm starting to rethink that. Bowlen has/had a great rep. in the league. Can he afford this?

He would have terminated McDaniels here if he had wanted to. The reality is, if the NFL wanted to play hardball here, it might have cost us a 1st all the same.

strafen
11-27-2010, 03:36 PM
I don't like that McD basically admits to knowing about it before the 9ers game but appologizes for not telling anyone. That's hard to prove he wasn't part of the scheme at that point. Is a video guy really going to take it upon himself to videotape someone else's walkthrough? That's a huge decision for one person to make and if he did, he should've been paying his own way back from London. Hopefully they can windowdress this well enough but McD admitting he knew about it before the game but didn't tell anyone is a near facepalm for the Broncos.Can't defy logic there.
To bring a guy of trust to be his video guy (Steve Scarnecchia) just as soon as he became the headcoach was planned, and should've raised some questions.
I'm even more surprised that the media didn't pick up on this, the minute the guy was hired.
Now, McD is forced to fire his guy and make him the escape goat.
McDaniels lacks integrity all around.
He has tainted the name of one of the greatest franchises in the NFL...the Denver Broncos. As a fan, I resent that.

McDaniels continues to make the headlines more for being an idiot than for winning football games...
This is proud organization.
These are the Broncos! NOT the Patriots!

Broncoman13
11-27-2010, 03:47 PM
There was a trend with McD three shiat storms ago. This will not be the last, zero doubt in my mind about that. Who knows what will be next, but I guarantee there will be something. If we traded BMarsh b/c he needed a change of scenery, what does that mean for mcD?

I love the Denver Broncos. I moved to Denver so that I could attend training camps and games. I spend a lot of time, money and even vacation time to follow this team. There are a lot of people out there like me. Every year at training camp I sit with a guy from southern Colorado. He drives his kids as well as some kids from their community up to Dove Valley and they spend a week at TC every year. He is a diehard as well... And he sure as hell doesn't deserve this, nor do any of us.

A lot of people are talking about the rebuilding project it would take to right this sinking ship. I agree, it would be a rebuilding project. This team has a rather significant gap in talent. I can't hold out anymore hope that McD and this front office can bridge that gap. Pat Bowlen needs to sack up and bring in a GM, like Cleveland did with Holmgren. You don't even have to fire McD, just stop letting him act like a child... A child that is destroying what once was considered one of the best franchises in all of sports!

CEH
11-27-2010, 03:47 PM
What I found odd about today's press conference was that Josh said Steve's time in NE and involvement with Spygate etc was a league matter.

Now I'm not a CEO but if I know someone is being investigated for wrong doing and I'm thinking of hiring the guy (his friend) maybe it is the business of the Denver Broncos to vet this guy. Josh just fed the media a load of crap

Josh by hook or by crook has just brought embarassment and shame to the Denver Broncos. Wait until Sunday morning to see Sharpe and TJ go off on McDaniels not to mention 50 K fans. Thats right there's expected to be between 10-15K no shows on Sunday

This just got real for Josh.

strafen
11-27-2010, 03:50 PM
Is McDaniels the Brandon Marshall of coaching?
What's next?
What will his next dumb move be?

Broncoman13
11-27-2010, 03:56 PM
What I found odd about today's press conference was that Josh said Steve's time in NE and involvement with Spygate etc was a league matter.

Now I'm not a CEO but if I know someone is being investigated for wrong doing and I'm thinking of hiring the guy (his friend) maybe it is the business of the Denver Broncos to vet this guy. Josh just fed the media a load of crap

Josh by hook or by crook has just brought embarassment and shame to the Denver Broncos. Wait until Sunday morning to see Sharpe and TJ go off on McDaniels not to mention 50 K fans. Thats right there's expected to be between 10-15K no shows on Sunday

Hate to break it to you but 15k no shows doesn't impact the Broncos in that big of a way. The seats are sold, there isn't a blackout and Pat Bowlen could care less as long as he gets his TV and seat revenue. Yeah, he'll miss out on a couple hundred grand from concession and merchandise sales, but the Broncos will just spin that into a recession issue with Christmas coming up... And there will be plenty on this site that will buy that line and be okay with it.

Oh and from what I've seen the last few years, 10-15k is much more than what it normally is when you factor in there just aren't very many Rams fans out there. If we were playing the Cowboys or Packers you would have those same vacant seats filled with opposing team fans.

fontaine
11-27-2010, 04:10 PM
I just don't know. If the story is to be believed McDaniels should be applauded for refusing to watch the walkthrough tape.

But at the same time he made a huge mistake in not informing Ellis and league. Instead the Bowlen/Ellis had to find out about it days later from someone other than the head coach who had full knowledge of the incident.

There's no question that McDaniels made a huge mistake in not reporting the issue quickly and directly. That ultimately casts a shadow on the team and I'm glad Bowlen and the execs had the balls to do what McDaniels either couldn't or didn't want to do himself.

For the record I believed that McDaniels should get a full three years here but at this point, after this incident I couldn't care less if this guy is fired now or after this season.

CEH
11-27-2010, 04:50 PM
Hate to break it to you but 15k no shows doesn't impact the Broncos in that big of a way. The seats are sold, there isn't a blackout and Pat Bowlen could care less as long as he gets his TV and seat revenue. Yeah, he'll miss out on a couple hundred grand from concession and merchandise sales, but the Broncos will just spin that into a recession issue with Christmas coming up... And there will be plenty on this site that will buy that line and be okay with it.

Oh and from what I've seen the last few years, 10-15k is much more than what it normally is when you factor in there just aren't very many Rams fans out there. If we were playing the Cowboys or Packers you would have those same vacant seats filled with opposing team fans.

I'm a season ticket holder so don't break anything to me. They show the in attendence numbers at the start of the 4th qtr every game . 4-5 thousands no shows is the average (about 66 - 70 K a game) so 3 times as many is sending a message. The games are sold out every week but since most are season ticket holders the only way short of not renewing is to not show up. BTW I've never been to a game in 15 years (even snow games or games where the temp is at 10 degrees) where the attendence has dipped below 63K plsu unless you were invited to Invesco to listen, ask question of Brian Xanders and Joe Ellis I think I know a little more about how they feel about the fans than you

If you don't think the Broncos aren't paying attention then you don't know what is going on at Dove Valley

colonelbeef
11-27-2010, 05:04 PM

completely false.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/27/did-a-broncos-employee-blow-the-whistle-on-mcdaniels/related/

Taco John
11-27-2010, 05:07 PM
It's the NFL...if there had been even a hint that this had happened it would have been all over ESPN. We hadn't heard a peep until the team turned themselves in. This should reflect positively on McDaniels... I don't see any other way to spin it.

This reflects well on Joe Ellis for going straight to the NFL. It also reflects well on the person who went to Joe Ellis with the information, though we'll probably never find out who that person was. All we know for sure is that person wasn't Josh.

colonelbeef
11-27-2010, 05:12 PM
This reflects well on Joe Ellis for going straight to the NFL. It also reflects well on the person who went to Joe Ellis with the information, though we'll probably never find out who that person was. All we know for sure is that person wasn't Josh.

Joe Ellis hired McDaniels, the perpetrator of this abomination.

This doesn't reflect well on anybody in Denver.

Taco John
11-27-2010, 05:16 PM

I based that conclusion on this part of the AP Story:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/11/27/sportsline/main7094679.shtml

If he's not a guy who was involved in filming the other team, then what is he a repeat violator of? Is your point simply that he's not the guy who got "busted," he was just one of the guys doing it that was uncovered during the subsequent investigation? I'm not sure that I understand what the point you are trying to draw here is.

For whatever reason, Goodell and the NFL thinks this guy is a repeat violator.

Taco John
11-27-2010, 05:18 PM
Joe Ellis hired McDaniels, the perpetrator of this abomination.

This doesn't reflect well on nobody in Denver.

I think that's a differnt issue. I'm not an Ellis fan, especially right about now, but I respect that he acted swiftly once he found out this information, regardless of how it would make the team look in the short term. The damage to our franchise could have been a lot worse if Ellis let the NFL initiate the first move.

colonelbeef
11-27-2010, 05:22 PM
I think that's a differnt issue. I'm not an Ellis fan, especially right about now, but I respect that he acted swiftly once he found out this information, regardless of how it would make the team look in the short term. The damage to our franchise could have been a lot worse if Ellis let the NFL initiate the first move.

It's not worth parsing out the issues at this point- the objective is to field a competitive team and win footballs games. Nothing of this sort has been accomplished, and the team is far worse off than it was. All of these sideshow embarrassments are just toppings on our **** cake.

Ellis helped to get rid of Shanahan and then hired McDaniels. He is every bit as culpable.

theAPAOps5
11-27-2010, 05:33 PM

If he's not a guy who was involved in filming the other team, then what is he a repeat violator of? Is your point simply that he's not the guy who got "busted," he was just one of the guys doing it that was uncovered during the subsequent investigation? I'm not sure that I understand what the point you are trying to draw here is.

Well he is because he was a key player on the Patriots during years they were in violation. But he wasn't the one caught taping last spygate. I just wanted to point that out so didn't get called out for that. Didn't intend for it to be a hot button issue.

Either way it was a bad decision to hire a guy with that history. Kind of like the old, Fool me once shame on you fool me twice..... er um a fooled man doesn't get fooled again, scenario!

Beantown Bronco
11-27-2010, 06:25 PM

Is it any different from the way he treats players? Even if they do nothing wrong or at least aren't convicted of doing anything wrong, they are essentially guilty to him. All it takes is being in the wrong place at the wrong time or having enough allegations made against you.

Was Big Ben ever convicted of anything?

Broncoman13
11-27-2010, 06:45 PM
I'm a season ticket holder so don't break anything to me. They show the in attendence numbers at the start of the 4th qtr every game . 4-5 thousands no shows is the average (about 66 - 70 K a game) so 3 times as many is sending a message. The games are sold out every week but since most are season ticket holders the only way short of not renewing is to not show up. BTW I've never been to a game in 15 years (even snow games or games where the temp is at 10 degrees) where the attendence has dipped below 63K plsu unless you were invited to Invesco to listen, ask question of Brian Xanders and Joe Ellis I think I know a little more about how they feel about the fans than you

If you don't think the Broncos aren't paying attention then you don't know what is going on at Dove Valley

There is a big difference when you play a team with a weak fan base. If we were playing the Steelers those seats would be sold and occupied. And there are always thousands and thousands of no-shows. The numbers they announce (and everyone "boos"), they don't include club seats... Nor do sellouts. And as long as you're giving your hard earned( I assume) money to Pat Bowlen for this weak ass product, you will continue to get this weak ass product.

Let me know if they are passing out Orange bags tomorrow. That would be pretty embarrassing, but it would send a message!

bronco militia
11-27-2010, 06:47 PM

Ha!Ha!Ha!

bronco militia
11-27-2010, 06:47 PM
http://www.godspeed.dk/officerBarbrady.gif

orangemonkey
11-27-2010, 07:55 PM

This is bad because it embarrasses our organization, our city, our players and our fans. I'm pissed that McD hired a guy at the center of the Spygate I scandal. Senator Spector was convinced that the NFL was covering up something much deeper that was tied directly to the Patriots Superbowl wins in the early 2000's. Here's an excerpt from the Specter's senate report. Steve was taping and training other staff members on clandestine video techniques. Big question for me: Will this re-open the Patriots investigation again and snowball?

May 2008 Senate statement by Specter reviewing testimony by Matt Walsh in re Patriots, Scarnecchia et al.

(1) The Patriots engaged in extensive videotaping of opponents’ offensive and defensive signals starting on August 20, 2000 and extending to September 9, 2007, when they were publicly caught videotaping the Jets.

The extent of the taping was not disclosed until the NFL was pressured to do so. Originally, Commissioner Goodell said the taping was limited to late in the 2006 season and early in the 2007 season. In his meeting with me on February 13, 2008, Goodell admitted the taping went back to 2000. Until my meeting with Matt Walsh on May 13, 2008, the only taping we knew about took place from 2000 until 2002 and during the 2006 and 2007 seasons.

That left an obvious gap between 2003 and 2005. In response to my questions, Matt Walsh stated he had season tickets in 2003, 2004 and 2005 and saw Steve Scarnecchia, his successor, videotape games during those seasons including:

The Patriots’ September 9, 2002 game against the Steelers.

The Patriots’ November 16, 2003 game against the Cowboys.

The Patriots’ September 25, 2005 game against the Steelers, which the Steelers resoundingly won 34-20.

Walsh stated he observed Scarnecchia filming additional Patriots home games, though he could not recall the specific games.

Walsh said he did not tell Goodell about the taping during 2003, 2004 and 2005 because he was not asked.

footstepsfrom#27
11-27-2010, 08:11 PM

Wow...we even suck at cheating? And...how bad would we be if we were playing by the rules? ???

Blueflame
11-27-2010, 08:33 PM

Then so is McDaniels.

theAPAOps5
11-27-2010, 08:34 PM
Then so is McDaniels.

Yep you are right if was found to be on the payroll as part of the videography crew.....

But he didn't know.... :angel:

strafen
11-27-2010, 08:41 PM

Anyone on the staff during those years is considered an offender.I've got a question for you, then...
So it is clear to everybody that the reason for the illegal video taping was to steal defensive signals and whatever they can take from it.

Who then reviews those tapes?
The head coach, the offensive coordinator, or both?
Offenders by willing participation...

Blueflame
11-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Yep you are right if was found to be on the payroll as part of the videography crew.....

But he didn't know.... :angel:

I'm sure there's no way he could possibly have known.... :P

Broncoman13
11-27-2010, 10:22 PM

It actually makes complete sense, since team practices were held in the same building and both teams knew when they other would be practicing. Maybe the film director would have done it if we were in a Super Bowl or some other setup where we did our walk throughs in the same building, but we've never been in that opportunity until the London game.

Chances are this is how the film director feels he can most help the team, regardless of who the opponent is, and wanted to show the value of his employment.

What this does continue to underscore though is just how small Josh McDaniels' NFL circle really is. He simply doesn't have the connections throughout the league to staff this team with anything more than people he's worked with previously, people he shares an agent with, or positional coaches looking to make the next big step up in their careers and learn on the job here.

Not a big deal now but McD is not the one that reported it... that is where a lot of questions remain. Encouraging that the league investigated and didnt punish the team more harshly.

Garcia Bronco
11-27-2010, 10:29 PM
I wouldn't report it either. Especially, if I was on the Pats staff. Besides, we lost the game so it really doesn't matter.

footstepsfrom#27
11-27-2010, 10:46 PM
Eh...right sure he did. No doubt he learned that lesson from his last run-in with an NFL rules violation of the same nature.

*sarcasm button off now

TonyR
11-28-2010, 09:52 AM
After they had heard about it, the 49ers were not concerned. For one thing, they won the game. For another, their offense is not highly sophisticated to where videotapes of a practice could help another team all that much.

San Francisco was satisfied with Denver's apologies, the league's explanation and it believes the case is closed as well.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5859504

Broncos_OTM
11-28-2010, 09:58 AM

I think you are right. It just amazes me how it seems people just love to bury their heads in the sand.

_Oro_
11-28-2010, 10:00 AM
[I]After they had heard about it, the 49ers were not concerned. For one thing, they won the game. For another, their offense is not highly sophisticated to where videotapes of a practice could help another team all that much.

Lol, a nice little rib there.

Broncos_OTM
11-28-2010, 10:04 AM
I've got a question for you, then...
So it is clear to everybody that the reason for the illegal video taping was to steal defensive signals and whatever they can take from it.

Who then reviews those tapes?
The head coach, the offensive coordinator, or both?
Offenders by willing participation...
Teams still steal signals on defense? i thought the Captin on D got to wear a speaker so they can communicate the Defense in like that.

TotallyScrewed
11-28-2010, 10:10 AM
roger goodell

There's a problem here...

Our investigators immediately and independently interviewed Coach McDaniels and did so under circumstances that would have made it impossible for him to have spoken to Mr. Scarnecchia in advance. (It is also significant that your staff had not previously discussed the matter with Coach McDaniels; thus, his meeting with NFL Security was the first time that he had been questioned on the matter.) Coach McDaniels recounted essentially the same sequence of events as Mr. Scarnnechia had previously disclosed — namely, that Mr. Scarnecchia had come to him and advised that he had recorded the walk-thru, and that Coach McDaniels told Mr. Scarnecchia that he was not interested in watching the tape and did not do so,” Goodell wrote.

This theory is flawed in that the NFL was notified at least a week later and who knows how much coaching Scarnecchia got regarding their "story". I'm not saying any wrong doing was done beyond the obvious but it is hardly a completely clear situation.

tsiguy96
11-28-2010, 10:13 AM
I think you are right. It just amazes me how it seems people just love to bury their heads in the sand.

yea, believing the official NFL report over a bunch of idiots on a message board is totalllly burying your head in the sand.

Popps
11-28-2010, 10:19 AM
After they had heard about it, the 49ers were not concerned. For one thing, they won the game. For another, their offense is not highly sophisticated to where videotapes of a practice could help another team all that much.

San Francisco was satisfied with Denver's apologies, the league's explanation and it believes the case is closed as well.

Guess that's all parties involved.

I'm sure everyone around here will move on with their lives.

:sunshine:

BlaK-Argentina
11-28-2010, 10:29 AM
The McD haters will never let this go, even though everyone else in the NFL has. Case closed people.

If we had a winning record there would be one thread about it with 2 pages tops.

orangemonkey
11-28-2010, 10:32 AM
Just on the Fox pre-game show:

-McD addmitted the Patriot version of Spygate was practiced and coached, apparently McD had been denying this for years

-McD took the entire coaching staff to Bowlen after the Raider loss and ripped into them.

-Someone from the league caught the guy taping the 49ers despite what the official report says.

-They claimed there is "animosity" between McD and his assistant coaches.

-The league may re-open this and levy bigger penalties against the Broncos at a later time.

Got this from another site. Did anyone else see this live???

Steve Prefontaine
11-28-2010, 10:48 AM
pat sounds really happy!

gunns
11-28-2010, 10:56 AM

They did go off on him. They said the fines were not enough and unbelievable no draft picks were taken. And Cowher and Shannon said there was no way that McD didn't know it was happening when it happened.

The one guy that will notice that the no shows in a big way is Bowlen. $50,000 for the team, and then untold revenue? That could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Popps
11-28-2010, 11:05 AM

-McD addmitted the Patriot version of Spygate was practiced and coached, apparently McD had been denying this for years

-McD took the entire coaching staff to Bowlen after the Raider loss and ripped into them.

-Someone from the league caught the guy taping the 49ers despite what the official report says.

-The league may re-open this and levy bigger penalties against the Broncos at a later time.

It's been posted.

All speculation, and I've yet to read the sources or direct quotes from anyone.

This is Cutler all over again. Stories are flying left and right.

TotallyScrewed
11-28-2010, 11:30 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/28/report-mcdaniels-explains-to-coaching-staff-differences-between-spygate-i-and-ii/

Gutless Drunk
11-28-2010, 11:34 AM

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="gtk0gv6f" width="600" height="438"><param name="movie" value="http://img.widgets.video.s-msn.com/flash/customplayer/1_0/customplayer.swf" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" /><param name="base" value="." /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="flashvars" value="player.c=v&player.v=da427a28-7510-460c-b717-87849c3ef6dd&mkt=en-us&configCsid=msnvideo&configName=syndicationplayer&from=foxsports_en-us_videocentral&brand=foxsports&fg=" /><embed src="http://img.widgets.video.s-msn.com/flash/customplayer/1_0/customplayer.swf" width="600" height="438" id="ng2mn8rg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" base="." wmode="transparent" flashvars="player.c=v&player.v=da427a28-7510-460c-b717-87849c3ef6dd&mkt=en-us&configCsid=msnvideo&configName=syndicationplayer&from=foxsports_en-us_videocentral&brand=foxsports&fg="></embed></object><noembed><a href="http://msn.foxsports.com/video?vid=da427a28-7510-460c-b717-87849c3ef6dd" target="_new" title="">Glazer's Edge: Spygate 2</a></noembed>

CEH
11-28-2010, 11:43 AM

I saw it live from Glazer and this was what he said almost word for word.

One part that Jay said that I did not see in the above quote was on Friday he told the coaches if this gets out there will be jobs on the line.

fontaine
11-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Guess that's all parties involved.

I'm sure everyone around here will move on with their lives.

:sunshine:

Exactly.

McDaniels can now move on the more important things like how to to improve the league worst running game and defense.

Beantown Bronco
11-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Exactly.

McDaniels can now move on the more important things like how to to improve the league worst running game and defense.

I was told by the experts here that simply getting rid of Orton would accomplish this.

oubronco
11-28-2010, 11:50 AM
All this BS over a 6 minute taping of a 49ers walk thru that didn't help anything

fontaine
11-28-2010, 12:02 PM
I was told by the experts here that simply getting rid of Orton would accomplish this.

Yes, then the job would be complete.