PDA

View Full Version : Woody's Mailbag: The 100th Edition

Bronco Rob
11-25-2010, 04:53 AM
Woody, someone accused you of not putting Ray Crockett on your all-time Broncos team, a team which you never actually created! Well, given that it's the 100th edition of Woody's Mailbag, I personally think it would be very appropriate to put your all-time Broncos team in writing! I know all of us faithful would love to hear your opinion. (Just promise me Eddie Mac will be on the list!) Thanks Woody, and congrats on 100!

— Lincoln, Littleton

Lincoln Do you guy know Lou from Littleton and Bob from Broomfield? Rattling off, without looking it up, based on failing memory and being around the Broncos since 1974, here's my all-time Broncos team:

Quarterback is easy. Let's say it all together. John Elway.

Running back (two) — Terrell Davis and Floyd Little. I talked to Floyd recently in London, and he easily was the most important player in Broncos history until John came along. (One of my shining moments in life was when John and I were walking down a London street on Friday night before the Broncos game, and a fellow asked for a photo with me.) Davis would have been a Hall of Famer with a couple more good years. But 2,000 yards and MVP in the Super Bowl with a migraine? He was an incredible runner.

Full Article at:
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16707011

mod note: Fair use rules prohibit the posting of articles IN THEIR ENTIRETY from other sources. Please post no more than a few paragraphs WITH A LINK BACK to the original source.

broncogary
11-25-2010, 05:31 AM
"[B]Rich Jackson, defensive tackle, may be the best player in the world who is not in the Hall of Fame. I'd put Simon Fletcher and Rulon Jones on my team too. "

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16707011

This is how I know Woody's an idiot.

Bronco Rob
11-25-2010, 05:40 AM
*AHEM*

Jackson, a defensive end whose nickname was "Tombstone", was famous for moves such as the "head slap" and the "halo spinner" which he used to subdue opposing offensive linemen.

In the late Lyle Alzado's book "Mile High" he recalled Rich Jackson as the toughest man he'd ever met, and told the story of Jackson breaking the helmet of Green Bay Packer offensive tackle, Bill Hayhoe, with a headslap.

Jackson's career was cut short by a severe knee injury, but he finished with an unofficial total of 43 sacks, 31 of which came during the three season period of 1968-1970. He finished with 10 sacks in both 1968 and 1970 and posted a career-high total of 11 in 1969.

He was named 1st Team All-AFL by the AP, Pro Football Weekly and UPI at the conclusion of the 1968 season and by the AP, NEA, NY Daily News, Pro Football Weekly, The Sporting News and UPI at the end of the 1969 season. He was also a unanimous 1st Team All-NFL choice in 1970.

Despite the shortened career, Sports Illustrated's football expert, Dr. Z, Paul Zimmerman, said that Tombstone Jackson was perhaps the finest overall defensive end and pass rusher he ever saw, a surefire Hall of Famer if he would have had a longer playing career, in a bigger media market. As it was Jackson will be remembered as a great one, only by a handful of football insiders, including those who lined up with and against him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Jackson

broncogary
11-25-2010, 05:44 AM
*AHEM*

Jackson, a defensive end whose nickname was "Tombstone", was famous for moves such as the "head slap" and the "halo spinner" which he used to subdue opposing offensive linemen.

In the late Lyle Alzado's book "Mile High" he recalled Rich Jackson as the toughest man he'd ever met, and told the story of Jackson breaking the helmet of Green Bay Packer offensive tackle, Bill Hayhoe, with a headslap.

Jackson's career was cut short by a severe knee injury, but he finished with an unofficial total of 43 sacks, 31 of which came during the three season period of 1968-1970. He finished with 10 sacks in both 1968 and 1970 and posted a career-high total of 11 in 1969.

He was named 1st Team All-AFL by the AP, Pro Football Weekly and UPI at the conclusion of the 1968 season and by the AP, NEA, NY Daily News, Pro Football Weekly, The Sporting News and UPI at the end of the 1969 season. He was also a unanimous 1st Team All-NFL choice in 1970.

Despite the shortened career, Sports Illustrated's football expert, Dr. Z, Paul Zimmerman, said that Tombstone Jackson was perhaps the finest overall defensive end and pass rusher he ever saw, a surefire Hall of Famer if he would have had a longer playing career, in a bigger media market. As it was Jackson will be remembered as a great one, only by a handful of football insiders, including those who lined up with and against him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Jackson

I guess that means I'm a football insider. :wiggle:

Bronco Rob
11-25-2010, 05:49 AM
I guess that means I'm a football insider. :wiggle:

Bronco Rob
11-25-2010, 12:09 PM
"McDaniels will be the first Broncos coach since Saban in 1967-68 not to have a winning record in his first two seasons. He should be ashamed of himself." - Woody Paige

:D