PDA

View Full Version : refs messed up chargers fake punt, per viclombardi

tsiguy96
11-23-2010, 09:41 PM
Tonight at 10 I'll put the Chargers fake punt under the microscope. The play should've never counted. Refs missed "illegal man downfield".
Again, the refs missed a penalty on the Chargers fake punt. Video proof tonight on CBS4 at 10.

interesting, and means exactly nothing now, but it was a turning point in the game, unfortunately.

ghwk
11-23-2010, 09:44 PM
interesting, and means exactly nothing now, but it was a turning point in the game, unfortunately.

It was a turning point, but there would have been another one if not this one.

Tombstone RJ
11-23-2010, 09:45 PM
It's sad that the "turning point" of the game came in the first 5 minutes of the first quarter.

Archer81
11-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Considering who the head referee was I am not shocked.

2 Offensive PI? Whatever Hoe-ding...

:Broncos:

Captain 'Dre
11-23-2010, 09:47 PM

This didn't involve Ed Hochuli, did it?!?

Pony Boy
11-23-2010, 09:47 PM

Right, means exactly nothing now......... to make matters worse the punter could of walked for a first down.

cabronco
11-23-2010, 09:57 PM
It's sad that the "turning point" of the game came in the first 5 minutes of the first quarter.

You're right it is sad, just in first 5 mins. then the rest of the game Broncos went into the tank. The team looked whooped, beat, deflated, uninspired football after that. Thats what I dont get ! Is it the teams fault, McD, Orton, Dawkins, or all the above. There's no leadership going on. As someone posted before, Orton goes as the team goes. I like him,but he cant, or doesnt rally the troops like other good Qb's. I wish he had Tebows spirit out on the field. That was way to soon to be the turning point, but it was.

Blueflame
11-23-2010, 10:34 PM

Yep... my husband commented at the time "Chargers got away with a lineman being way downfield".

Not that it matters; the Chargers played like the game was important; the Broncos looked like they were just marking time until their flight home.

richpjr
11-23-2010, 10:35 PM
That play did take a long time to develop so it's not surprising that there may have been a man down field but let's be real here - the Chargers won that game big because they were a more talented, more motivated and better coached team.

400HZ
11-23-2010, 10:41 PM
The short pass that Crayton took to the house had all sorts of illegal blockers downfield, too. :yep:

Broncos4tw
11-23-2010, 10:44 PM
They don't see those plays a lot.. so unless they are watching with the mindset "this is going to be a fake punt," they probably are not watching for illegal players downfield.

But that did not lose the game for us. We have much more serious problems, if one play like that, that didn't even result in a TD, makes it impossible for us to win.

Lev Vyvanse
11-23-2010, 11:02 PM
The NFL needs to look into this and give us the win.

HAT
11-23-2010, 11:08 PM

I won't post on the 'Mane until this happens.....

Or until I get back form the fridge. :~ohyah!:

Dagmar
11-23-2010, 11:25 PM
I said at the time, that moment was a momentum/game killer. However, look at the final score, it was only one play and we were raped.

TheProfessor
11-24-2010, 12:25 AM
Within a series or two after we scored, this was a near repeat of the raiders game.

Thoroughly outplayed and outcoached, we completely failed to match the Chargers intensity throughout the game, we committed WAY too many penalties and looked like a weakminded, soft, undeciplined mess. Oh, and I think we might have a talent issue as well.

Why?

How??

How does this same team put up gritty performances against the jets and Tenessee not to mention a couple of ass kickings over the hawks and KC. In all 4 of those games we looked like a young up and coming team. Only to resemble that mess I wrote about above against the chargers, ravens, and Oakland. I just don't get it...

As to the OP, I can appreciate that the refs blew a call on a big play, but i doubt it had any bearring on the outcome.

SPORTSWRITER
11-24-2010, 01:23 AM
I said at the time, that moment was a momentum/game killer. However, look at the final score, it was only one play and we were raped.

Agreed, except considering the way we gave up afterward, it looked more consentual to me.

ZONA
11-24-2010, 02:53 AM
At this point, we're not making the playoffs and frankly anybody from this division that makes it will get spanked quickly. That said, Orton has proved that he has improved in this offense but he needs a MUCH stronger run game to go along with his passing to be consistant. We know what he can do now. I think it's time to shake things up a bit and start putting Tebow in the game more often. Maybe even give him a full series here and there rather then just a play at a time. This won't hurt Orton's value should he be deemed trade bait at the end of the year. You don't just want to sit him down and let Tebow take over all the plays because then he would lose some value. It's looking like we will definitely be picking high and if Orton can throw up even dome decent numbers the rest of the way, I'm sure there will be interested teams.

BroncosSR
11-24-2010, 06:30 AM
Doesn't really matter. We'd fall for it again the next play like we did in Washington last year...

Captain 'Dre
11-24-2010, 08:47 AM

Ha!

Captain 'Dre
11-24-2010, 08:52 AM
That said, Orton has proved that he has improved in this offense but he needs a MUCH stronger run game to go along with his passing to be consistant.

I like Kyle, and see him as a good QB... but he's a 2nd Tier QB, IMO.

He's not a Brady, a Manning (Peyton), a Brees or a Rivers.

And with a better supporting cast, he wouldn't HAVE TO be.

But without a better supporting cast, the Broncos are doomed to be very average in the W/L department.

Spider
11-24-2010, 08:54 AM

so true

That One Guy
11-24-2010, 09:04 AM
Agreed, except considering the way we gave up afterward, it looked more consentual to me.

Agreed. If your team can't motivate itself for another 47 minutes of play because of a fake punt, you have bigger issues to worry about.

SonOfLe-loLang
11-24-2010, 09:12 AM
At this point, we're not making the playoffs and frankly anybody from this division that makes it will get spanked quickly. That said, Orton has proved that he has improved in this offense but he needs a MUCH stronger run game to go along with his passing to be consistant. We know what he can do now. I think it's time to shake things up a bit and start putting Tebow in the game more often. Maybe even give him a full series here and there rather then just a play at a time. This won't hurt Orton's value should he be deemed trade bait at the end of the year. You don't just want to sit him down and let Tebow take over all the plays because then he would lose some value. It's looking like we will definitely be picking high and if Orton can throw up even dome decent numbers the rest of the way, I'm sure there will be interested teams.

This "orton loses value" thing is insane to me. First off, league execs and coaches have two years worth of game film in the broncos system; they know what this guy is about. Two, if Tebow plays POORLY, then it might only strengthen Orton's ties to the Broncos as well as LETTING US KNOW we might want to hold on to Orton. If Tebow plays great, then we get the piece of mind knowing that we have a QB of the future and I'll gladly take that knowledge over a possible drop in Orton's perceived value.

Hogan11
11-24-2010, 09:31 AM

The real turning point was when the Broncos punted on their second possession. They had to score early and often and when they blew the chance to up by two scores, they were dead.

BoiseBluTurf
11-24-2010, 11:35 AM
The real turning point was when the Broncos punted on their second possession. They had to score early and often and when they blew the chance to up by two scores, they were dead.

I think the turning point was when Orten didn't get enough air under the ball to a wide open Lloyd. The D.B had slipped... Orten tried to get it there on a line which aloud the D.B to get his arm up and deflect it. The very next play was a pick... Broncos went from a probable TD to an interception. Disclaimer... I'm VERY VERY happy with our qb! He just underthrew this one.

pink_feet
11-24-2010, 11:56 AM

So that would equalize the Hoculiu call. Now its even. ROFL!

Gort
11-24-2010, 12:27 PM
How does this same team put up gritty performances against the jets and Tenessee not to mention a couple of ass kickings over the hawks and KC. In all 4 of those games we looked like a young up and coming team. Only to resemble that mess I wrote about above against the chargers, ravens, and Oakland. I just don't get it...

i think the answer has been stated many times here. the Broncos are "soft". they cannot handle adversity. instead of getting mad and playing with a chip on their shoulders, they get frustrated and give up. lack of vocal leadership on the field maybe? i don't really know how it happens, but when it happens, it seems to take a long time to reverse it. this team has been "soft" for a few years now and the whole league knows it. you can almost see the energy leave the team when they give up a big play (on D) or fail to convert an important 3rd down (on O). like all bad teams, they find ways to lose close/important games because they expect to lose close/important games.

cutthemdown
11-24-2010, 12:33 PM
Sometimes watching the Broncos defenders just flail after people, falling down, missing tackles, getting easily blocked etc etc you just have to laugh. They are so overmatched. Honestly it will be another situation where at least half of our starters won't be in the NFL starting within 2 yrs from today. Probably 2-3 of them won't even be starting for an NFL team next yr. Hell maybe even more then that. Probably 7-8 of them not starting in the NFL in 2 yrs, and 5-6 out by end of next yr or earlier.

It really is still that bad. Not much better then Boss Bailey, Nate Webster etc etc just a 3-4 suck instead of 4-3.

Bronco Yoda
11-25-2010, 02:14 AM
We need kick ass vocal leaders at the LB & QB position that get mad and give results when **** hits the fan. Until then... more of the same.

go_broncos
11-25-2010, 05:47 AM
When we are behind by a FG/TD in 4th quarter..I know that we won't be winning the game.

NYBronco
11-25-2010, 07:59 AM

Sad but not surprising as most of the Bronco fans gave up on them before McD started coaching in Denver.

Captain 'Dre
11-25-2010, 09:25 AM
i think the answer has been stated many times here. the Broncos are "soft". they cannot handle adversity. instead of getting mad and playing with a chip on their shoulders, they get frustrated and give up. lack of vocal leadership on the field maybe? i don't really know how it happens, but when it happens, it seems to take a long time to reverse it. this team has been "soft" for a few years now and the whole league knows it. you can almost see the energy leave the team when they give up a big play (on D) or fail to convert an important 3rd down (on O). like all bad teams, they find ways to lose close/important games because they expect to lose close/important games.

Brian Dawkins was supposed to change all that... at least on the defensive side of the ball.

But last Monday night, Dawkins was as much a part of the problem as anyone, letting Sproles get away on that 57 yard catch-and-run, and failing to corral Patrick Crayton in the backfield on that hitch pass that Crayton took 40+ yards for a backbreaking score.

Is there a reason for Dawkins to be back next season? Because by the time this team is competitive again, Dawkins will be retired anyways....