PDA

View Full Version : We Can't Fire Josh McDaniels

rugbythug
11-23-2010, 12:37 PM
We Can't Fire Josh McDaniels with out a solid plan. We need a sure thing. A one step to glory coach that can take our Pieces and Make it whole.

Steps- We need a GM. Someone who can come in and command respect. At this point we can do it with or with out McDaniels getting the Axe. He has no leverage and knows it.

Bill Parcells
Dan Reeves
some one from either the Ravens or Steelers Front Offices

Our Next Hire needs to be a 3/4 guy. Our Healthy Defense could be good better to keep the pieces than blow it up and start over yet again. Best Case scenario would be to pick up Wade Phillips as D Coordinator. He gets it done on D. And at this point I don't think he would ever want to be a Head Coach again.

Both of these steps could be done with McDaniels Keeping his job and not require us to have 3 coaches on Payroll. With this done perhaps we could get competitive.

Basically like the Browns Template. Gives us a little more time to find the right guy, or let McD Grow up.

Broncomutt
11-23-2010, 12:47 PM
We Can't Fire Josh McDaniels with out a solid plan. We need a sure thing. A one step to glory coach that can take our Pieces and Make it whole.

Steps- We need a GM. Someone who can come in and command respect. At this point we can do it with or with out McDaniels getting the Axe. He has no leverage and knows it.

Bill Parcells
Dan Reeves
some one from either the Ravens or Steelers Front Offices

Our Next Hire needs to be a 3/4 guy. Our Healthy Defense could be good better to keep the pieces than blow it up and start over yet again. Best Case scenario would be to pick up Wade Phillips as D Coordinator. He gets it done on D. And at this point I don't think he would ever want to be a Head Coach again.

Both of these steps could be done with McDaniels Keeping his job and not require us to have 3 coaches on Payroll. With this done perhaps we could get competitive.

Basically like the Browns Template. Gives us a little more time to find the right guy, or let McD Grow up.

McDaniels isn't going to share power with anyone. What makes you think any of those guys will be his doormat? Remember Nolan?

There's a reason this coaching staff is made up of "no names" and baby brothers.

rugbythug
11-23-2010, 12:50 PM
McDaniels isn't going to share power with anyone. What makes you think any of those guys will be his doormat? Remember Nolan?

There's a reason this coaching staff is made up of "no names" and baby brothers.

Leverage- He has none

Beantown Bronco
11-23-2010, 12:51 PM
So what you're really saying is that this is "The Solution" to the problem. You know, "Xanders and Ellis must go, but not Josh"

Is that correct?

:)

loborugger
11-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Parcells is done. He is stepping outta his role in Miami.

But without a doubt, we need a GM that recognizes talent and brings it in here on a consistent basis. I would say we need to make a move at the GM position more than coach, QB, or any other position on the field. In fact, bringing in a sound GM would mean more success in 3/4 years than replacing any number of coaches and players.

cutthemdown
11-23-2010, 01:05 PM

Cool then he could quit and we don't have to pay him.

TonyR
11-23-2010, 01:16 PM
How about Marty Schottenheimer as GM? And if it doesn't work out with McD they bring in his son Brian?

Pony Boy
11-23-2010, 01:20 PM

Bill Parcells
Dan Reeves some one from either the Ravens or Steelers Front Offices

You lost me at Dan Reeves

bronco_diesel
11-23-2010, 01:22 PM

This is what I would like to see. Hiring a proven GM, or a proven football guy would help. I prefer they get a guy that is seasoned in both GM and head coach.

I think Josh will ultimatly be a good HC, but I think a mentor would be helpful.

TonyR
11-23-2010, 01:23 PM
I prefer they get a guy that is seasoned in both GM and head coach.

See post #7. Never a GM but lots of NFL experience.

Jetmeck
11-23-2010, 01:26 PM

Another reason we are 3-7..............

bronco_diesel
11-23-2010, 01:31 PM
See post #7. Never a GM but lots of NFL experience.

I saw that and have mixed feelings. I think he is a great coach (during the season) and his teams are tough.

Did he make many player personel decisions in his coaching?

TonyR
11-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Did he make many player personel decisions in his coaching?

I wondered the same. Did some quick googling and couldn't find anything definitive. We need to hear from some people in San Diego, D.C., and/or KC on this. Either way I'd think with his experience he'd have lots of connections and could bring in good personnel people to the extent necessary.

bronco_diesel
11-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Found this on an article from last year (I think) on the best NFL GM's.

When it comes to keeping an NFL team on top, the basic formula is simple, according to Indianapolis Colts President and General Manager Bill Polian.

"You get people who are smart, tough, with strong work ethics," he says. "And you want those who feel that football is important to them." The Colts, Super Bowl champions in 2006-2007, are 39-9 over the past three years despite a payroll that was the fifth-lowest in the NFL over that span. That makes Polian the NFL's top general manager by a landslide.

While drafting high-quality tough guys is always good, there's also the matter of navigating the league salary cap, making the loss of key players inevitable. "The system is designed to weaken good teams," Polian says. To compensate, he sticks to a few simple guidelines: Prioritize at quarterback, corner, offensive tackle and pass rusher, on the grounds that running backs, offensive guards and receivers are more replaceable.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/08/24/football-best-gm-business-sports-nfl-football-valuations-10-managers.html

Kaylore
11-23-2010, 02:18 PM
Sure we can fire Josh. But I don't think we will. And I agree, a strong presence in the front office, a preferably veteran presence, would go a long way toward helping the team self-evaluate better.

Then if he won't share power he can resign or be fired for insubordination and we're off the hook for his contract and can look elsewhere. I think Josh could be convinced to work with a GM. I think deep down Josh is a coach and would prefer to focus on just that.

cutthemdown
11-23-2010, 02:21 PM
Sure we can fire Josh. But I don't think we will. And I agree, a strong presence in the front office, a preferably veteran presence, would go a long way toward helping the team self-evaluate better.

Then if he won't share power he can resign or be fired for insubordination and we're off the hook for his contract and can look elsewhere. I think Josh could be convinced to work with a GM. I think deep down Josh is a coach and would prefer to focus on just that.

They should hire you because of all your great training camp reports.

rbackfactory80
11-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Found this on an article from last year (I think) on the best NFL GM's.

When it comes to keeping an NFL team on top, the basic formula is simple, according to Indianapolis Colts President and General Manager Bill Polian.

"You get people who are smart, tough, with strong work ethics," he says. "And you want those who feel that football is important to them." The Colts, Super Bowl champions in 2006-2007, are 39-9 over the past three years despite a payroll that was the fifth-lowest in the NFL over that span. That makes Polian the NFL's top general manager by a landslide.

While drafting high-quality tough guys is always good, there's also the matter of navigating the league salary cap, making the loss of key players inevitable. "The system is designed to weaken good teams," Polian says. To compensate, he sticks to a few simple guidelines: Prioritize at quarterback, corner, offensive tackle and pass rusher, on the grounds that running backs, offensive guards and receivers are more replaceable.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/08/24/football-best-gm-business-sports-nfl-football-valuations-10-managers.html

In other words draft a hall of fame QB and you will look like a genius.

Kaylore
11-23-2010, 02:23 PM
They should hire you because of all your great training camp reports.

LOL Yeah that's what we need! More reports! I've yet to see one of my reports sack or even hurry Phillip Rivers.

Popps
11-23-2010, 02:25 PM
It's just so hard for me to pin what's happening purely on talent evaluation.

So many things happened in last night's game that were just purely stupid player errors.
Dawkins, who I love... just whiffing on a tackle. Old or not, he was right there. I still can't wrap my head around what happened there. Or, McBean face-masking yet again. I mean... is that the coach's fault? The guys in the front office?

I will say we need much more talent on defense, but it's a work in progress... and we're missing our two biggest pass-rush weapons. That takes its toll, folks.

It's tough to evaluate Matindale, either... considering he's playing without Doom and Ayers.

We just need more talent.

Remember how we looked last week? I think that's a sneak-peek at what this team could turn into with a few solid moves and some growth from some of the young players. But, it's going to take time.

Rohirrim
11-23-2010, 02:29 PM
I would hire Eric DeCosta as GM.

bronco_diesel
11-23-2010, 02:40 PM

I think he would be a very good hire.

gyldenlove
11-23-2010, 02:48 PM
LOL Yeah that's what we need! More reports! I've yet to see one of my reports sack or even hurry Phillip Rivers.

In that respect your reports have a lot of similatiries to our defensive front...

gyldenlove
11-23-2010, 02:58 PM
It's just so hard for me to pin what's happening purely on talent evaluation.

So many things happened in last night's game that were just purely stupid player errors.
Dawkins, who I love... just whiffing on a tackle. Old or not, he was right there. I still can't wrap my head around what happened there. Or, McBean face-masking yet again. I mean... is that the coach's fault? The guys in the front office?

I will say we need much more talent on defense, but it's a work in progress... and we're missing our two biggest pass-rush weapons. That takes its toll, folks.

It's tough to evaluate Matindale, either... considering he's playing without Doom and Ayers.

We just need more talent.

Remember how we looked last week? I think that's a sneak-peek at what this team could turn into with a few solid moves and some growth from some of the young players. But, it's going to take time.

Look at where this team were before the season started, would you have said the group of Royal, Gaffney and Lloyd were one of the most talented groups of recievers in the league? neither one ever had a 1000 yard season before Lloyd reached that mark yesterday, yet look at where they are now. Go back a few years, look at how Clady, Harris, Wiegman et al went from being a porous line with serious questions to being one of the best in the league. It is true that talent is important, it is true that the coaches are not out there making stupid mistakes, but it is equally true that a really good coach can make a huge difference.

When I looked at the rush offense before the Chiefs game, what I saw was bad coaching and bad execution, the blocks were not good enough, the runners didn't run hard enough and the playcalling wasn't good. After getting Harris and Moreno back, the talent is getting there, the playcalling is improving too and the unit isn't so bad, especially if more rushes were called.

On defense, I am seeing a poorly coached unit that lacks talent. I see a soft zone with only 3 rushers called on a 3rd and 8 at the goal line and I think, why would you that? If you don't think Rivers can find one of this 5 possible targets given enough time you are mad. I would understand that call if the QB was bad, if it was Gradkowski maybe, but not Rivers, he will hit his guy when you give him that time. The way we beat him last year was by hurrying him all day.

Right now, the defense needs a talent infusion and a DC who knows the job, someone with experience. The defensive line is not getting push consistently and that is a talent thing but also a lack of calling plays to suit the players, last year we stunted a lot and used slants and other moves, this year it is much more simplified. The safeties are not playing well this year, but we are also calling a lot of cover 1 requiring Hill to be 15 yards behind any play, meaning he is going to be left to do mop up duty a few times but other than that is irrelevant. Why not try to go more 2-deep safeties and let them play the pass more aggressively? this 1 deep is not working well.

vancejohnson82
11-23-2010, 03:03 PM
hire Matthew McCaunaghey

DarkHorse30
11-23-2010, 03:14 PM
I want to see what this group of coaches/gm can do with the rest of this year and next year.

They WILL make mistakes and HAVE MADE mistakes.

But it looks like a complete re-build and that takes some time.

While watching the game last night, it looked like Denver wasn't horribly that far off on offense. Spencer missed Phillips on a few sacks, and the playcalling was a tad spastic. I haven't like the Tebow playcalls that much. I'm still not really sure what he brings to the table yet. I still think we should make him a MLB. It would be an NFL first (why wouldn't a former QB know more about how to attack an offense?). Anyways.....blah blah blah...is it 5 yet?

Broncomutt
11-23-2010, 03:33 PM
Leverage- He has none

I should have been more clear, I was addressing your point about Wade, or any other established coach, at DC. A head coach should always have leverage over his coordinators.

I just think Wade, and others, are smart enough to avoid the often controversial McDaniels.

Besides, what established NFL persona rushes to be the subordinate to a 2nd year coach* with a .423 winning percentage? :drown:

rugbythug
11-23-2010, 06:41 PM
I should have been more clear, I was addressing your point about Wade, or any other established coach, at DC. A head coach should always have leverage over his coordinators.

I just think Wade, and others, are smart enough to avoid the often controversial McDaniels.

Besides, what established NFL persona rushes to be the subordinate to a 2nd year coach* with a .423 winning percentage? :drown:

Coaches like Jobs. Romeo Signed on for that exact scenario.

yerner
11-23-2010, 06:48 PM

Thats exactly the type of person that needs to be hired. However i don't think good ideas will come around till Bowlen is no longer in charge.

kappys
11-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Thats exactly the type of person that needs to be hired. However i don't think good ideas will come around till Bowlen is no longer in charge.

I haven't lost all hope in Bowlen yet. I still think letting Shanny go was a good idea. After that it hasn't gone quite so well but its only 2 years out since that happened. I think Bowlen got a little soft and complacent like the rest of us during the Shanny years - he didn't really have much to do other than get the new stadium built. The result was that he gave McD the same type of control Shanny had - a mistake but an understandable one after letting Shanny have the reins for a decade.

The problem now is that there aren't any good options for Bowlen at the moment. NO point in firing McD mid-season. What we'll really have to wait on is the offseason. If labor negociations continue at present pace there may well be no season. What I'm hoping for is that Bowlen brings in a competent GM when the season is over to evaluate personnel and draft. After that I expect him to probably play it close to the vest depending on labor negociations. McD may or may not go and I think a lot depends on when labor negociations clear up.

~Crash~
11-23-2010, 07:19 PM
How about Marty Schottenheimer as GM? And if it doesn't work out with McD they bring in his son Brian?

not the worst Idea ..

But I would rather have John Elway..

400HZ
11-23-2010, 09:03 PM

I'm surprised that Marty hasn't gotten a job in some capacity these last few years. He was at Jets camp this last offseason, so he still must have at least some interest in football. He had input in San Diego's successful drafts during his tenure as head coach, and frankly the drafting has gotten a lot crappier since he was fired. The guy is a solid football mind, particularly when it comes to fundamentals.

One underrated aspect of roster building is player development beyond the draft. It's nice when you get a player who is talented enough to step in immediately make plays, but good teams have good depth, and nobody is going to get more than a few players per draft who can be good without more development. The teams that are consistently good have more low draft picks and undrafted players making contributions. That is a product of long term vision and building around the system.

McDaniels has a system that can be good from a scheme point, but I don't think he has displayed the patience to develop the players for it. Bringing in a lot of vets and Patriots castoffs doesn't build the continuity that a team needs. Those guys have been cut loose for a reason. On the other hand, I think Marty's emphasis on fundamentals and development would make him a very good GM as long as he is on the same page as the head coach.

yerner
11-23-2010, 09:17 PM
I haven't lost all hope in Bowlen yet. I still think letting Shanny go was a good idea. After that it hasn't gone quite so well but its only 2 years out since that happened. I think Bowlen got a little soft and complacent like the rest of us during the Shanny years - he didn't really have much to do other than get the new stadium built. The result was that he gave McD the same type of control Shanny had - a mistake but an understandable one after letting Shanny have the reins for a decade.

The problem now is that there aren't any good options for Bowlen at the moment. NO point in firing McD mid-season. What we'll really have to wait on is the offseason. If labor negociations continue at present pace there may well be no season. What I'm hoping for is that Bowlen brings in a competent GM when the season is over to evaluate personnel and draft. After that I expect him to probably play it close to the vest depending on labor negociations. McD may or may not go and I think a lot depends on when labor negociations clear up.

I agree with all of that except it presumes Bowlen is healthy. I just don't think he is anymore. They need a culture change in the organization and that starts with a healthy involved owner or the owners family. I'm not sure it can come from a coach/gm like shanny or mcdaniels. The power structure is just not right somehow.

kappys
11-23-2010, 09:19 PM
I agree with all of that except it presumes Bowlen is healthy. I just don't think he is anymore. They need a culture change in the organization and that starts with a healthy involved owner or the owners family. I'm not sure it can come from a coach/gm like shanny or mcdaniels. The power structure is just not right somehow.

A good, competent GM can go a long way towards fixing that. For some owners the GM is essentially the man in charge and the owners simply enjoy watching the product on the field almost like a fan.

kappys
11-23-2010, 09:19 PM
I'm surprised that Marty hasn't gotten a job in some capacity these last few years. He was at Jets camp this last offseason, so he still must have at least some interest in football. He had input in San Diego's successful drafts during his tenure as head coach, and frankly the drafting has gotten a lot crappier since he was fired. The guy is a solid football mind, particularly when it comes to fundamentals.

One underrated aspect of roster building is player development beyond the draft. It's nice when you get a player who is talented enough to step in immediately make plays, but good teams have good depth, and nobody is going to get more than a few players per draft who can be good without more development. The teams that are consistently good have more low draft picks and undrafted players making contributions. That is a product of long term vision and building around the system.

McDaniels has a system that can be good from a scheme point, but I don't think he has displayed the patience to develop the players for it. Bringing in a lot of vets and Patriots castoffs doesn't build the continuity that a team needs. Those guys have been cut loose for a reason. On the other hand, I think Marty's emphasis on fundamentals and development would make him a very good GM as long as he is on the same page as the head coach.

Clearly he needs to finish a full tour of the AFC West. I think Marty would be an excellent pickup

Beantown Bronco
11-24-2010, 06:22 AM
hire Matthew McCaunaghey

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vo4kDrWBa6c?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vo4kDrWBa6c?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>