PDA

View Full Version : Notice to readers about Denver Post copyright protections

Taco John
11-19-2010, 03:11 PM
I'd like to ask everyone here to help police this matter. We are a small site with a single owner/operator and a handful of volunteer moderators. The last thing that we need is a confrontation with the Denver Post (or any site for that matter).

A single paragraph with a link to the story is probably not going to get us into any trouble, and will most likely be appreciated for the traffic that it drives. Please do your part to keep our little slice of Broncomania in the good graces of our friends who are helping to feed the discussion.

Please read the following notice:
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_16594528

If anyone has any comments or questions, I can be reached at the following email address: orangeisaac@gmail.com

Thank you.

enjolras
11-19-2010, 03:14 PM
I'll just back this up. This is REALLY important, and not just for the post. There are companies that have formed for the sole purpose of copyright litigation against communities such as the mane. Every time anyone posts an entire story (as opposed to a paragraph or two with a link), it opens up the door for these idiot lawyers to pounce.

Ambiguous
11-19-2010, 03:15 PM
Can you copy and paste the content of the link here?

Kaylore
11-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Don't let Steeldude see this thread. He may try to murder everyone.

missingnumber7
11-19-2010, 03:20 PM
There are some funny comments on that link.

TDmvp
11-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Hope all news papers go outa business.

Time to move on and stop wasting the wood for paper , not that i care about waste.

It's just time to move on , papers was a fine media source 20 30 years ago now tho there is really 0 point.

Broncoman13
11-19-2010, 03:52 PM
I think you should post a copyright notice too TJ. How many times have you seen something that was discussed on the OM in or the basis of a DP article? I've seen it quite a bit. I think the writers from the DP spend a lot of time on the various message boards and rob materials from some good posters in order to get paid and generate discussion. I know it won't work this way, but it should be a two way street.

bowtown
11-19-2010, 04:28 PM
I think you should post a copyright notice too TJ. How many times have you seen something that was discussed on the OM in or the basis of a DP article? I've seen it quite a bit. I think the writers from the DP spend a lot of time on the various message boards and rob materials from some good posters in order to get paid and generate discussion. I know it won't work this way, but it should be a two way street.

Yeah, Mike Mayock picks BroncoWarrior's stuff off right and left.

PS. you can't copyright opinions about a football team.

Houshyamama
11-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Hope all news papers go outa business.

Time to move on and stop wasting the wood for paper , not that i care about waste.

It's just time to move on , papers was a fine media source 20 30 years ago now tho there is really 0 point.

My parents get the Wall Street Journal in paper form delivered every day, I really enjoy reading it when I go back home. Paper is a great medium as long as someone worthwhile is writing on it.

broncosteven
11-19-2010, 07:41 PM
My parents get the Wall Street Journal in paper form delivered every day, I really enjoy reading it when I go back home. Paper is a great medium as long as someone worthwhile is writing on it.

Paper has it's place and I still like real books, mags, papers, but my feelings may change once my books on hold come in from the library. I requested a bunch of Ray Kurzweil's books.

Rock Chalk
11-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Can you copy and paste the content of the link here?

Priceless.

_Oro_
11-20-2010, 08:48 AM

Hypocrisy at its finest.

Garcia Bronco
11-20-2010, 09:29 AM
I'd prefer no none post anything for the Post. It's a rag.

Que
12-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Folks, just to chime in here. This isn't an idle threat being made by a few newspapers. They're basically turning over their copyright infringement enforcement to Righthaven.com. Righthaven is taking an RIAA type stance on this and absolutely hammering the owner of any site where if finds infringement. ANY site. We're not talking about DMCA take down requests - nope, straight to a copyright infringement suit for $75,000 - $150,000 per instance of infringement.

For more info see:
One of many articles by the LV Sun about the suits. Check the one where a 70 year old retired Navy vet got nailed for posting an article on what looks to be his personal (but publicly accessible) blog.
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/jul/15/5-more-suits-filed-over-alleged-r-j-copyright-viol/

More info: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/07/copyright-trolling-for-dollars/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired27b+%28Blog+-+27B+Stroke+6+%28Threat+Level%29%29

bowtown
12-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Damn the Man.

Que
12-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Totally. Actually, when I saw the repost of the entire Rick Riley article down on the board I cringed. That's the type of thing that could result in a suit being filed against TJ rather than a DMCA takedown request. Ick. Just seems like a great way to alienate your readership.

broncosteven
12-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Totally. Actually, when I saw the repost of the entire Rick Riley article down on the board I cringed. That's the type of thing that could result in a suit being filed against TJ rather than a DMCA takedown request. Ick. Just seems like a great way to alienate your readership.

This is way too late in the game for them to do this, they should have stuck to their guns when the Internet took off. It is like giving away free crack but telling crack heads you can still have one free hit but get confused when they take the whole stash and run.

CW81
03-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Funny, we never have any problems posting content at BCMB...

...weird.

bowtown
03-05-2011, 08:49 PM

...weird.

Funny, you look like a giant vagina.

...weird.

theAPAOps5
03-05-2011, 09:13 PM

...weird.

Wow you are just premature ejaculating all over our board. Don't you have some banning to do over at the Day Care Center?

Archer81
03-05-2011, 09:20 PM

...weird.

Who gives a rats ass?

Hobo.

:Broncos:

Bob's your Information Minister
03-06-2011, 02:20 PM
****ing assholes.

Bob's your Information Minister
03-06-2011, 02:31 PM
This is basically backlash from the newspaper industry since no one wants to pony up for the online subscription services.

So now they're saying **** you, give us our goddamn traffic or we'll sue...

RhymesayersDU
03-06-2011, 02:31 PM
What the **** is BCMB?

CW81
03-06-2011, 02:54 PM
This is basically backlash from the newspaper industry since no one wants to pony up for the online subscription services.

Exactly.

It won't be long before they (newspapers) are obsolete.

theAPAOps5
03-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Exactly.

It won't be long before they (newspapers) are obsolete.

Absolutely agree with you. What is funny is the dinosaur media is putting a ton of pressure on search engines like Google. So they keep changing their algorithm to try to give more credit to them then the upstart bloggers.

bowtown
03-06-2011, 05:58 PM

Yeah because it's soooo unreasonable for them to try and protect the content that they spend a lot of money creating.

bowtown
03-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Absolutely agree with you. What is funny is the dinosaur media is putting a ton of pressure on search engines like Google. So they keep changing their algorithm to try to give more credit to them then the upstart bloggers.

Don't look now but the dinosaur media is slowly waking up and is starting to change. Next few years is going to be very interesting.

theAPAOps5
03-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Don't look now but the dinosaur media is slowly waking up and is starting to change. Next few years is going to be very interesting.

Yeah it only took them almost becoming extinct to adjust. Problem is they are trying to adjust and still follow their model only online. Doesn't work so much.

There are some interesting ventures out there though from the dinosaurs.

bowtown
03-06-2011, 08:40 PM
Yeah it only took them almost becoming extinct to adjust. Problem is they are trying to adjust and still follow their model only online. Doesn't work so much.

There are some interesting ventures out there though from the dinosaurs.

It's difficult to take a huge bloated industry that has done something one way for over 100 years and expect them to change it over night. They are making much bigger strides in the last year or so though. All signs point to geolocation and mobile. Advertisement is still the elephant in the room though.

theAPAOps5
03-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Oh I agree, remember I work in the Aviation industry. Thinking outside of the box for them is adding new fees because they can. There are a few unique businesses like Southwest.

I think the ones who think outside of the box in media will find the most success.

TheReverend
04-26-2011, 02:58 PM
This is bull****.

Quite frankly, the Denver Post should be footing the bill for this place considering the majority of their articles are damn near verbatim posts from here.

**** them.

TheReverend
04-26-2011, 03:52 PM
To take this a step further.

Anyone think DP would be doing Camp articles and updates if it weren't Khan starting that trend 5 years ago?

Anyone read a DP article that hasn't been hashed to death 10x on here before it ever makes it there?

Anyone ever read a DP article that has "takes" that are pretty much verbatim stolen from half the better posters here?

TJ, I think YOU should threaten THEM with copyright infringement.

Taco John
04-26-2011, 03:55 PM
This is bull****.

Quite frankly, the Denver Post should be footing the bill for this place considering the majority of their articles are damn near verbatim posts from here.

**** them.

LOL... I don't know about that exactly, but I do know that there has been some synergy between this forum and the media, both newspaper and radio. As far as the online goes, I'm very curious how this policy affected the traffic that they received from this place. I would guess that the traffic throughput has decreased dramatically. People just don't post DPO stories as much anymroe.

TheReverend
04-26-2011, 04:07 PM
LOL... I don't know about that exactly, but I do know that there has been some synergy between this forum and the media, both newspaper and radio. As far as the online goes, I'm very curious how this policy affected the traffic that they received from this place. I would guess that the traffic throughput has decreased dramatically. People just don't post DPO stories as much anymroe.

Every single one of their sensationalist, dog **** writers is at least a lurker here as evidenced time and time again.

If I were you, I'd go full blown vendetta on their ass and start banning the posting of any DP articles and lurkers.

You could completely drive them out of business... which in retrospect would only be assisting the inevitable.

Bronx33
07-29-2011, 07:00 PM
I'd prefer no none post anything for the Post. It's a rag.

this

Miss I.
07-05-2014, 02:48 PM
Does this apply to only DP or to all quoted sources?

Kaylore
07-05-2014, 04:39 PM
Does this apply to only DP or to all quoted sources?

It should be all quoted sources, including the Broncos website.