PDA

View Full Version : Phasing Out Maroney & Buc...Here Comes Lance Ball!

Sassy
11-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Broncos Phasing Maroney, Buckhalter Out of The Offense, Making Room for Ball
Posted Fri Nov 19th by Jon

Lance Ball grabs a drink at the Denver Broncos Training Camp in Dove Valley on August 3rd, 2010. (Jon Heath/Broncos Zone)
Two aging running backs time in Denver may be nearing the end, making room for an emerging, younger back.

While Knowshon Moreno was out with a hamstring injury earlier in the year, veteran backs Laurence Maroney and Correll Buckhalter were the Broncos featured running backs. During that four game stretch, the two backs both averaged less than 2.3 yards a carry, scored no touchdowns and were partly responsible for Denver’s worst rushing efforts in a long, long time.

Since Knowshon’s return, Maroney’s and Buckhalter’s roles in the offense have steadily declined each game. Over the past four games, neither of them have gotten a carry, and Maroney was inactive last week. The Broncos have used Buck as a receiving threat (catching six passes for 32 yards in the past three games), but there’s no signs he’ll be a rushing threat any time soon.

Meanwhile, the Broncos rushing attack has gotten better and better. Second year back Knowshon Moreno is becoming a big part of the offense; Spencer Larsen and Tim Tebow have contributed on short-yardage downs and the coaches have gotten creative, giving end-arounds and reverses to receivers Eddie Royal and Demaryius Thomas. The team also moved up Lance Ball from the practice squad, and his role in the offense is expected to expand.

Alex Mayster of ProFootballWeekly notes that the Broncos coaches like what they are seeing out of Ball:

RBs Laurence Maroney and Correll Buckhalter are slowly being phased out of the Broncos’ offense. We hear Denver’s coaches like what they have seen from RB Lance Ball, who was recently promoted from the practice squad when the Colts were close to signing him away. Ball provides fresh legs to an offense that has struggled with the ground game and is a little bit quicker than Buckhalter, who seems to have lost some speed since last season, according to a daily team observer.

When Knowshon was hurt during Training Camp, I thought Ball was without a doubt the best running back in camp. He showed some great flashes in Pre Season and brings more to the table than just running ability, as he is a good receiving back as well. Personally, I think it’s about time the Broncos gave up on Maroney and Bucky and gave this kid a shot.

tsiguy96
11-19-2010, 11:06 AM
bleacherreport?

serious hops
11-19-2010, 11:11 AM
About ****ing time! I've been begging for them to give somebody other than Maroney a shot pretty much since that piece of crap first hit the field.

TheChamp24
11-19-2010, 11:15 AM
So glad we traded a 4th for Maroney

crush17
11-19-2010, 11:19 AM

We had to get a back in here that was healthy enough to get on the field and who would be familiar with the protection calls.

Maroney at least knew which blocks to pick up, and most of the offensive terminology, so I feel like it had to be done.

Yeah, it blows that he didn't materialize into something better, but at least the coaches tried to do something that would help the offense out while our best backs were on the bench.

Rausch 2.0
11-19-2010, 11:29 AM
I really don't get why you don't use Buckhalter more. He's a perfect complimentary back for a pass-happy offense.

Are there character issues, he banged up, or just not catching on?...

supermanhr9
11-19-2010, 11:36 AM
we got a 5th in return and a running back,. which we desperately needed at the time. Not a horrible trade.

Borks147
11-19-2010, 11:39 AM

and we got a 6th and maroney.

Rabb
11-19-2010, 11:41 AM
We had to get a back in here that was healthy enough to get on the field and who would be familiar with the protection calls.

Maroney at least knew which blocks to pick up, and most of the offensive terminology, so I feel like it had to be done.

Yeah, it blows that he didn't materialize into something better, but at least the coaches tried to do something that would help the offense out while our best backs were on the bench.

exactly

Drek
11-19-2010, 12:29 PM
I really don't get why you don't use Buckhalter more. He's a perfect complimentary back for a pass-happy offense.

Are there character issues, he banged up, or just not catching on?...

He's just toast. His biggest asset was his speed and agility, which has largely disappeared, and he's fragile as hell.

Too many injuries have finally taken their tole and he's worn out. He might have a few 10 carry games left in him down the stretch, but they'll need to be spaced out.

Moreno has also surpassed him as a receiving RB, so there is less need for that change of pace 3rd down back type.

Assuming the Tebow/Larsen tandem continue to do work the biggest RB need for the Broncos is a solid all around backup to spell Moreno. That might just be Ball because Maroney can't catch and is tentative into his gaps and Buck can't carry the ball for yardage with regularity anymore and gets destroyed in pass pro.

Drek
11-19-2010, 12:30 PM

And how would you feel if they didn't, throwing Andre Brown, Ball, or Hall out there while Moreno was out only to see them blow pass pro assignments and get Orton's neck broke?

Swapping a 4th for a 6th to get Maroney was a very good, proactive move.

Kaylore
11-19-2010, 12:45 PM
And how would you feel if they didn't, throwing Andre Brown, Ball, or Hall out there while Moreno was out only to see them blow pass pro assignments and get Orton's neck broke?

They were going to cut him and would've taken a seventh.

TheChamp24
11-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Considering the fact Patriot fans were ecstatic they got anything in return, and how horrible he was, and I would've been much happier throwing Brown, Ball or Hall out there to see what they could do.

Sassy
11-19-2010, 01:12 PM
and Andre Brown is back as well...

Rabb
11-19-2010, 01:17 PM
Considering the fact Patriot fans were ecstatic they got anything in return, and how horrible he was, and I would've been much happier throwing Brown, Ball or Hall out there to see what they could do.

well, we didn't

so move on

Tombstone RJ
11-19-2010, 01:41 PM
and Andre Brown is back as well...

really? did not know this...:thanku:

crush17
11-19-2010, 02:17 PM
They were going to cut him and would've taken a seventh.

Then why didn't we offer them a 7th? or a 6th? Considering we don't have one of those this season, why not a 2012 pick? You would think that the front office probably DID low ball the Patriots and they wouldn't bite.

fontaine
11-19-2010, 02:18 PM

So now we're phasing in Ball over Maroney because in just a few weeks his pass blocking is as good or better than Maroney?

Hilarious!

The Maroney trade was a horrible move and will amount to straight swaping a high 4th for a low 6th since Maroney won't be on the roster next year.

Kaylore
11-19-2010, 02:20 PM
Then why didn't we offer them a 7th? or a 6th? Considering we don't have one of those this season, why not a 2012 pick? You would think that the front office probably DID low ball the Patriots and they wouldn't bite.

My feeling is Belichick initiated the talks and schmoozed McDaniels into taking Maroney. He probably started asking for a second and then "let" McDaniels "talk him down" to a fourth round pick and sent a sixth in return. Trust me when I tell you he was going to be cut. A fourth round pick is a steep price to pay for waiver rights.

BroncoInferno
11-19-2010, 02:24 PM
The Maroney trade was definitely a bad move, but at least it wasn't for a 4th straight up, as we got a 6th back in addition to Maroney. Still, probably McD's second worst move after the Alphonso Smith fiasco (first trading a 1st for to draft him, then giving up on him after only a season).

crush17
11-19-2010, 02:24 PM
My feeling is Belichick initiated the talks and schmoozed McDaniels into taking Maroney. He probably started asking for a second and then "let" McDaniels "talk him down" to a fourth round pick and sent a sixth in return. Trust me when I tell you he was going to be cut. A fourth round pick is a steep price to pay for waiver rights.

You honestly think our front office is THAT incompetent or stupid? A SECOND?? Let him talk him down? Wow. That's almost borders on a conspiracy theory. In fact, that's basically what it is. I expected more out of you Kaylore.

Its not like Brian Xanders & JMcD don't have brains of their own, and its not like Bill Belichick is using some Jedi mind control tactics. Sheesh.

Kaylore
11-19-2010, 02:30 PM
You honestly think our front office is THAT incompetent or stupid? A SECOND?? Let him talk him down? Wow. That's almost borders on a conspiracy theory. In fact, that's basically what it is. I expected more out of you Kaylore.

Its not like Brian Xanders & JMcD don't have brains of their own, and its not like Bill Belichick is using some Jedi mind control tactics. Sheesh.

Um, are you that stupid? I have all the evidence in my favor because we traded for a guy who sucks and all reports out of New England were he was going to be cut. Based on his play, he will be cut here. Have you seen Maroney play? He sucks. And he will be cut.

And where have you been the last two years? Are you saying you believe our front office is incapable of making mistakes? Are you saying the Patriots are incapable of pulling a fast one on us or any team?

This is a team that managed to get the Vikings to give them a third round pick for essentially nothing at all with the Randy Moss debacle.

There is no conspiracy about it. The Patriots are good at finding teams that are desperate for players and then selling them for more than they're worth. It's called supply and demand.

Sheesh indeed.

crush17
11-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Gear down big shifter... No need for name calling.

Well, I disagree with you either way. I think it was a good move in a desperate time that had the potential for good reward if Maroney thrived in a change of scenery. Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way.

Tombstone RJ
11-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Blah on Maroney. I'm thinking the reason McD wanted him and was stoopid enough to give up a 4th for him is because he had a good relationship with Maroney when he was coaching Maroney at NE.

That's pretty much the long and the short of it...

Drek
11-19-2010, 03:41 PM
So now we're phasing in Ball over Maroney because in just a few weeks his pass blocking is as good or better than Maroney?

Hilarious!

The Maroney trade was a horrible move and will amount to straight swaping a high 4th for a low 6th since Maroney won't be on the roster next year.

Ball is taking Maroney's place as the #2 RB behind Moreno, not the #1 RB who plays on most 1st and 2nd downs. If you don't understand the difference between those two roles, namely how much more essential good pass pro skills are in the later, then I just can't help you.

Kaylore
11-19-2010, 03:45 PM
Gear down big shifter... No need for name calling.

Well, I disagree with you either way. I think it was a good move in a desperate time that had the potential for good reward if Maroney thrived in a change of scenery. Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way.

Sorry for the excitement, but looking at how terrible Maroney is, it was not a good deal. For perspective, let's say we pick 10th overall next year in the draft and the Patriots pick 20th. If you use the point value system for picks (which is outdated, but for argument sake) We gave up 80 points and got back Maroney and 20 points. That is 60 points or a low fourth round pick that we gave up for him. When you consider in all the games he played in we lost, it becomes clear it was not remotely worth it. He doesn't help us win and will never be any better. It was a waste of a pick for player who was going to be cut.

Tombstone RJ
11-19-2010, 03:47 PM
Yah, McD was Shannyesque in this deal for Maroney. He's so smart he's stupid.

Chris
11-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Bad deal but we were desperate at the time. I still prefer that to us taking Gerhart and not picking up Decker in this year's draft.

lostknight
11-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Once again, we get ****ed whenever we pick up anything from NE.

Tombstone RJ
11-19-2010, 03:58 PM
Was Ball hurt or something when McD traded for Maroney? It's pure idiocy that Ball is now starting over Maroney when he could have been in the game plan the whole time. The Broncos running game sucked jizz anyway so why not let Ball run the Ball? After all, Ball's got balls, no?

Lev Vyvanse
11-19-2010, 04:24 PM
http://broncotalk.net/2010/11/19588/broncos-buzz/broncos-phasing-maroney-buckhalter-out-of-the-offense-making-room-for-ball/

TonyR
11-19-2010, 04:33 PM
Maroney and Buckhalter were not the problem with the running game. If the blocking is as improved as it looked against KC they can both be fine tandem or backups RB's. Maroney is nothing special but he's not as bad as many want to make him out to be. He was hated in NE in large part because he was never going to live up to his draft position.

The MVPlaya
11-19-2010, 04:40 PM
Let's not forget about LenDale White being back next year...

fontaine
11-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Ball is taking Maroney's place as the #2 RB behind Moreno, not the #1 RB who plays on most 1st and 2nd downs. If you don't understand the difference between those two roles, namely how much more essential good pass pro skills are in the later, then I just can't help you.

You're contention was that having Maroney back there in pass blocking was a plus compared to having Ball or whoever.

Now that Ball has moved ahead of Maroney after a few weeks either he miraculously improved his pass blocking in a just a few weeks or plain and simple he's viewed as a better back right now.

Which again makes the whole trade look stupid.

I don't know why that's such a difficult concept to grasp considering it isnt' the first time the coaches completely screwed up in evaluating the talent when you have guys like Daniels start at LG then be deactivated to be replaced by an aging Hochstein then Beadles.