PDA

View Full Version : Ellis speaks on possible move to orange jersey

montrose
11-19-2010, 09:25 AM
"We've got messages from 43 states as well as the nation's capital," Broncos chief operating officer Joe Ellis said Thursday. "Also 12 countries, including Croatia, Cambodia, Tanzania and Afghanistan. All of them are expressing a desire for the team to make orange the primary jersey color."

"We're listening," Ellis said. "A lot of people are speaking up, and we're reading their e-mails and responding and looking at all the various newly created Internet sites. It's an impressive movement. So we're taking it all in. Nothing's been decided right now, but obviously we're paying attention. The response is overwhelming enough to make us pay attention."

"You have to listen to your fans, your customers," Ellis said. "If you look at all these e-mails, hundreds of them are lifelong Broncos fans who grew up on orange and are looking for a return to orange and want to buy orange jerseys. They like the uniqueness of the color. They want to wear them to the games. We've heard that from a lot of season-ticket holders. They want to wear the color that the team is wearing on the field.

"And it reflects back for them to a lot of the great memories of the Orange Crush, and the years of that defense with Randy Gradishar and Tom Jackson and Louie Wright, and I'm leaving out names, and moving on to John Elway's beginnings with the team."

"And I understand it," he said. "We've actually played two very good home games in the jersey. I think what it shows as much as anything is just how much passion there really is for this team in this region and frankly in other parts of the country where we have fans, and the world."

So, Joe, does this mean you and Pat have open minds about switching back to the orange?

"Absolutely," he said.

Any timeline for the decision?

"I don't have a sense of that right now."

http://www.denverpost.com/krieger/ci_16653897

OABB
11-19-2010, 09:27 AM
Are you letting your pet walrus start threads again?

snowspot66
11-19-2010, 09:30 AM
I think they'll realize how much more money they can make on jersey sales by switching and give it the go ahead. At least I hope so.

missingnumber7
11-19-2010, 09:32 AM
I think they'll realize how much more money they can make on jersey sales by switching and give it the go ahead. At least I hope so.

This is exactly the reason they will switch...and the new orange will be a different jersey. Its all about the $$

supermanhr9
11-19-2010, 09:39 AM
This is a no brainer. If they change over, it woudl ignite jersey sells no doubt, and give us fans that teh FO actually cares enough about us to give us what we want,,, well artificially at least. When it all goes down, it'll be abotu one thing as missingnumber7 stated,,, it'll be about the Dollar Dollar Bills

Chris
11-19-2010, 09:48 AM
i am weirdly attached to the current jerseys. They're our championship jerseys.... but if we roll to orange I will roll with it.

Ambiguous
11-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Sweet! Orange Jerseys!

Now, on to that having a winning football team thing... I guess that can wait.

FISH
11-19-2010, 10:06 AM
"FAN"-freaking-tastic!

Greatspirits
11-19-2010, 10:08 AM
i am weirdly attached to the current jerseys. They're our championship jerseys.... but if we roll to orange I will roll with it.

Ditto!

BroncoDoug
11-19-2010, 10:16 AM
I think its great that the team is listening, hopefully we can get them to switch to the orange!

Popps
11-19-2010, 10:23 AM
Whenever this happens... it's about time.

24champ
11-19-2010, 10:25 AM
Props to whoever asked the question in McDaniels presser. That started the firestorm.

baja
11-19-2010, 10:26 AM
This is a no brainer move for the Broncos.

FISH
11-19-2010, 10:28 AM
Props to whoever asked the question in McDaniels presser. That started the firestorm.
I think it was Dave Krieger

http://www.denverpost.com/krieger/ci_16623871

"Finally, reluctantly, I intervene.
"Josh," I say, "all X's and O's aside, isn't it becoming obvious your team plays better when it wears orange?"
McDaniels seems momentarily confused.
"When it wears orange jerseys?" he asks.
I nod, knowing we're on the same page now.
"I love the orange jerseys," he says. "I know we're only allowed to wear them twice in the regular season and once in the preseason unless we make that our standard uniform. But I think our guys kind of like wearing the orange. I like the orange. But that decision to make that our permanent uniform is going to come from Pat (Bowlen)."

Read more: Krieger: Broncos should become agents of orange - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/krieger/ci_16623871#ixzz15kanh8iq
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Flex Gunmetal
11-19-2010, 10:28 AM

Link?

Jason in LA
11-19-2010, 10:32 AM
To me it's change back to the old uniforms or I really don't care. My boycott of the current uniform and logo is going 13 years strong. I'm glad it's easy to get the old stuff now a days.

DomCasual
11-19-2010, 10:41 AM

I think they should be used as alternates, the way the orange jerseys are now.

Kaylore
11-19-2010, 11:02 AM

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. This is an easy move to make in terms of just saying "we wear this version now." Personally, I'd like to see us ditch the orange/blue pit stain nike swoosh in favor of the more traditional stripes, but I'll take the orange as our standard any day. I've always had at least one all Orange jersey/shirt since I was little. This will be good. :)

And props to Ellis for coming forward so soon and letting everyone know they are looking into it.

BigPlayShay
11-19-2010, 11:07 AM
Would love the current Orange alternates to be the primary home jersey, but I still want to see the Blue, or all Blues as the alternates.

The old school D Unis should be worn as alternates in 2 games in 2012 for the 35th anniversary of the Broncos 1st Super Bowl team, or next year for the 25th anniversary of Elway's 1st Super Bowl team.

Drunk Monkey
11-19-2010, 11:11 AM
This has to happen now with all the public comments from the organization stating their "open mindedness". If it doesn't it could only be Pat intentionally ****ing with the fans. It reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Steinbrenner is taking about moving the Yankee's to Jersey just to irritate everyone for fun.

SportinOne
11-19-2010, 11:30 AM
if i'm Pat, this is what i do: wait. The new style jerseys come out, we're still in blue. but it's a new jersey so people will want to update their Champs, their Tebows, their ummmm... hmmmm Anyway, so after everyone has jumped on the new design. Money in the bank. THEN you switch to orange. Now everyone has to update once again. Money in the bank, Pat.

serious hops
11-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Would love the current Orange alternates to be the primary home jersey, but I still want to see the Blue, or all Blues as the alternates.

The old school D Unis should be worn as alternates in 2 games in 2012 for the 35th anniversary of the Broncos 1st Super Bowl team, or next year for the 25th anniversary of Elway's 1st Super Bowl team.

Exactly what I want. Pretty cool to see the high-ups acknowledging it, looks like this thing might have legs.

Haroldthebarrel
11-19-2010, 11:35 AM
the new jersey sales from the Florida supporters of Tebow should alone be worth it.

This is such a great idea. Broncos are orange, at least to me.
There are two reason why i became a broncos fan, one is the jersey color and the other is Elway.

Sir_Robin
11-19-2010, 11:40 AM
I think its great that the team is listening, hopefully we can get them to switch to the orange!

They are listening and paying attention. And listening. And paying attention. Obviously.

Now if they'd only move on to acting.

Taco John
11-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Orange is the only color jersey I like to buy.

DarkHorse
11-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Re-design the old school "D", switch back to orange and let's get back to being the team that we should be.

Enough with the cyber crap - next thing you know we'll be wearing a digital camo blue and orange uni.

Baba Booey
11-19-2010, 12:29 PM
http://www.homage.com/store/bmz_cache/2/2cf32b0f1a9c841830d97b38ef708e6d.image.490x476.jpg

Broncos_OTM
11-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Orange is the only color jersey I like to buy.

all the jerseys i own are orange. Although i did have a blue royal. i didnt like it. so i gave it to my girlfriend lol

dsmoot
11-19-2010, 12:53 PM

The championship seasons were so long ago it is difficult for me to have any jersey attachment. The last 11 years have been difficult to watch a franchise go from something quite good to one that no longer is generally regarded in the top 8 to 10. I have always thought the orange looked better regardless and better tied the team to the past. I actually like the look of the current orange better than the 60's - 80's orange jerseys. Everyone has an opinion.

Hogan11
11-19-2010, 12:55 PM

I think the blues should be burnt at midfield.

If they really wanna do a third jersey, break out the striped socks twice a year :thumbsup:

Hogan11
11-19-2010, 12:56 PM
The championship seasons were so long ago it is difficult for me to have any jersey attachment. The last 11 years have been difficult to watch a franchise go from something quite good to one that no longer is generally regarded in the top 8 to 10. I have always thought the orange looked better regardless and better tied the team to the past. I actually like the look of the current orange better than the 60's - 80's orange jerseys. Everyone has an opinion.

The road whites are championship jerseys as well....I'm cool with letting them survive ;)

Broncos_OTM
11-19-2010, 12:57 PM
I think the blues should be burnt at midfield.

If they really wanna do a third jersey, break out the striped socks twice a year :thumbsup:

i could support this

Rausch 2.0
11-19-2010, 12:58 PM
So the Power Rangers gear isn't a fan favorite?...

Hogan11
11-19-2010, 01:03 PM
So the Power Rangers gear isn't a fan favorite?...

Surprisingly, I'd honestly say Broncos fans are pretty evenly split on them to this day.

That's one thing I do admire about your Chiefs. They stay the same and solidify a classic look and identity. I wish Denver had done that, although it could be worse...teams like Atlanta seemingly change their look every other year.

ScottXray
11-19-2010, 01:18 PM
I actually DO like the white helmet with the old D on it.

I also like the current Helmet, and ilke the navy blue over the old Sky blue as a color, but not the primary one.

Kid A
11-19-2010, 01:47 PM
I think this has a good chance of happening. They realize the last few seasons haven't set well with fans, and if they get the impression from hundreds of season ticket holders that switching back to orange would make them happy, they jump at the chance to make that kind of symbolic gesture.

Mountain Bronco
11-19-2010, 02:01 PM
They could wear anything, as long as they win. Winning = most money. I have an orange and a current blue, so I am covered either way.

colonelbeef
11-19-2010, 06:14 PM
orange for home, blue for away.

the white unis are horrible and need to go.

Hogan11
11-19-2010, 06:21 PM

The whites will never be ditched by any team.

oubronco
11-19-2010, 06:27 PM
Am I alone in thinking these are fuggin sweet

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=27544&stc=1&d=1290037896

ScottXray
11-19-2010, 06:28 PM

So you don't care for the Nfl telling the teams that the Home team has the choice of Their uniform (DARK or light colors) , and the visitor must wear the opposite shade?

We can only wear the Blues away if the Home team we are at decides to play their LIGHT uniforms.

Hogan11
11-19-2010, 06:30 PM

Probably

ScottXray
11-19-2010, 06:34 PM
I want the orange jerseys....

But they should NEVER , EVER , EVER , EVER....(repeat ad infinitum), EVER,
EVER wear those fuggin all Orange pants again.

Those things were not only ugly, they were cursed.

orange crusher
11-19-2010, 06:36 PM

Probably not alone, but I don't like them a bit. I'd prefer the current orange alts with the current helmet. Didn't like the helmets when they were first introduced, but they grew on me.

DarkHorse
11-19-2010, 06:37 PM

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=27544&stc=1&d=1290037896

I'm with you on this one.

Carmelo15
11-19-2010, 07:14 PM

I like a lot about these. I think the younger generation is more into this. Thus, the players would like these as well. I don't know if I like the pants I'd give em about a 4. But the helmet is a 10 and the jersey I'd give an 8

orinjkrush
11-19-2010, 07:21 PM
i think the 81st airborne should wear orange.
purple for the first marine division.

Bronco Yoda
11-19-2010, 08:58 PM
I want the orange jerseys....

But they should NEVER , EVER , EVER , EVER....(repeat ad infinitum), EVER,
EVER wear those fuggin all Orange pants again.

Those things were not only ugly, they were cursed.

I loved those old pants. It was a way we could still keep our Orange even playing away. Guess you just gotta love the Orange to love the pants.

OBF1
11-19-2010, 11:39 PM

I dig that helmet. But put me down for going back to the orange, Love the Syracuse orange from the 70's

montrose
11-20-2010, 05:20 AM
While I like the Orange and would like to see it switched as the primary, I have a hard time seeing Bowlen go away from the uniform the team's greatest moment (SB 32) came in.

HorseHead
11-20-2010, 06:13 AM
"oubronco"..where did you get that pic? I think that uni is tight...

I do miss the old "D" logo, and orange has a unique place for us in the NFL..and no, the Buccaneers, 1970's-80's my name is Brad, I like puffy shirts, and I'm from Key West logo doesn't count..

MileHighMagic
11-20-2010, 07:11 AM
That helmet is perfection! The jersey and pants are trash. Take the helmet out of that picture and most people would probably agree with me.

dsmoot
11-20-2010, 07:51 AM
While I like the Orange and would like to see it switched as the primary, I have a hard time seeing Bowlen go away from the uniform the team's greatest moment (SB 32) came in.

I can understand that. I loved it when we finally won the SB. However, I more fondly remember the excitement of success of the 77 team when the team and the city emerged from a history of being the doormat with little talent. I really believe there was more emotion and fanfare during that time. To finally put teams like the Raiders and Steelers away was incredible. They were really great football teams.

1998 was fantastic and it really was as much of a John Elway celebration as it was for the organization. We had watched him bring undermanned teams to the previous SB's on his back. We knew his talent but too many dismissed him because of the losing SB's. 98 was a season of finally getting our due after a number of pretty good seasons. 1977 really came out of nowhere in just a couple of years following many years of misery.

tsiguy96
11-20-2010, 07:58 AM
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr345/COtacoma15/MarlinBriscoeOrange.jpg

Hogan11
11-20-2010, 08:17 AM
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr345/COtacoma15/MarlinBriscoeOrange.jpg

As much as I love the old school D unis, I'm pretty indifferent on the orange pants.

Hogan11
11-20-2010, 08:18 AM

Keeping the road whites fulfills this need adquately enough

snowspot66
11-20-2010, 08:43 AM
Weren't the Oranges the alternates even during the Super Bowl years but we just never wore them?