PDA

View Full Version : Rivers, Orton meet up Monday night

Bronco Rob
11-17-2010, 07:33 PM
Rivers, Orton meet up Monday night

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) - There were an NFL-record 13 individual 300-yard passing performances last weekend.

Surprisingly, Philip Rivers and Kyle Orton weren't among them.

Rivers, who leads the NFL with 2,944 yards passing, had the weekend off as the San Diego Chargers were on a bye. So, he spent the weekend watching others throw the ball all over the place, including Orton, who came up four yards shy of his sixth 300-yard game this season in Denver's blowout of Kansas City.

Orton's second in the league with 2,806 yards passing.

The two prolific passers who are on pace to challenge Dan Marino's single-season record of 5,084 yards set in 1984 meet in San Diego on Monday night in what promises to be another aerial show.

"Bombs away," Denver defensive lineman Kevin Vickerson said. "It might be 800 yards."

Two gunslingers in a Southern California showdown.

How often has Orton heard that about one of his games?

"First time, probably," he said with a chuckle.

Orton had just three 300-yard games in his first five seasons in the NFL. Now, he averages 311, and he's on pace to throw for 4,988 yards.

Rivers averages 327 and is on pace for 5,233.

"It's funny because I think this league kind of goes in waves to where it seems like it's almost a passing league, or then it seems like teams are pounding the ball," Rivers said. "The latter half of last year, it seemed like a ton of yards were being put up by a lot of guys."

The reasons are varied. Rule changes continue to aid the offense. Ever more athletic and versatile running backs, wide receivers and tight ends do, too. There are more strong-armed quarterbacks and coaches who cut their teeth on offense.

"It seems that there are so many more teams that are willing to throw the ball more," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. "I'm sure some of those games people were behind in and threw it maybe more than they wanted. But I think that there's a lot of explosive players and a lot of quarterbacks who have the ability to do that and new schemes, new things that you see people do each week.

"I know I saw bits and pieces of the other night on Monday night and that's something I'm not sure I've seen very much of in my life," McDaniels said of Michael Vick's performance for the ages. "But it's just that's what this league is filled with, very difficult matchups, personnel issues that you've got to figure out how to handle on defense."

The yards just keep piling up through the air. Sometimes it's scheme. Sometimes it's circumstance.

"There's been teams that have gotten behind - we've been one of them - that throw it a little more," Rivers said. "It seems like there have been a ton more big plays, and just chunks of yards. And it's easy for me to say, but I haven't seen many horrible weather games. Obviously that can affect the latter half of the season than the early part. Obviously we're spoiled out here.

"Last week I probably noticed it more than any because I got to sit and watch them. Every channel, the ball's being thrown all over the place."

The 13 games in which quarterbacks surpassed 300 yards last weekend broke the old mark of 10 set in Week 8 of 1984 and tied in Week 15 last year.

While Rivers was enjoying watching the productive passers from his man cave, Orton was winning AFC offensive player of the week honors for throwing a career-high four touchdown passes in a 49-29 rout of the Chiefs that tightened up the AFC West race.

Orton became the first player in team history and the only player in the NFL this season to throw for at least 275 yards with four touchdowns without being sacked or intercepted.

In fact, Orton was hardly touched.

He never was tackled and his jersey was as clean at game's end as it was during the National Anthem.

Asked how it felt to wake up Monday without the usual aches and pains - he'd been sacked eight times over the previous two games and was suffering from a sore shoulder - Orton said, "It felt great. It was noticeable after the game, it was noticeable during the game."

Both Rivers and Orton have a bevy of targets to choose from, although they pile up their yards in different ways, Orton going deep to Brandon Lloyd a lot and Rivers finding tight end Antonio Gates for big gains.

Such an admirer of Rivers is Orton that he breaks from his routine during the Chargers week and watches film of San Diego's offense like he does the defense.

"He's a really good quarterback, I like the way he plays, he's tough, he stays in the pocket with a lot of guys around him and he and Norv (Turner), just shot after shot after shot," Orton said. "And Norv's a great play-caller who has a lot of imagination."

Orton's not a bad case study himself.

He had five jaw-dropping throws against the Chiefs, showing off the kind of arm he never was allowed to while playing in Chicago's run-oriented offense or even last year in Denver, when his two bum ankles prevented him from stepping into his throws and the Broncos lacked a true deep threat because Lloyd never could get activated on game day.

Still, Orton managed a career-best 3,802 yards last season, a mark he could obliterate soon.

"It's a good offense for the quarterback," Orton said, praising his coach's calls, his bevy of targets, his pass protection from linemen, tight ends and backs. "So, it's been a good year passing the football."

All around the league, but especially in Denver and San Diego.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14312984/rivers-orton-meet-up-monday-night

serious hops
11-17-2010, 07:42 PM
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/7034/1o13dx.gif (http://img403.imageshack.us/i/1o13dx.gif/)

"I got this."

HAT
11-17-2010, 07:43 PM
Orton Sucks.

/jhns-go_broncos-dragster

lostknight
11-17-2010, 09:30 PM
Yet the two teams that are most pass-dependant are at the bottom of the AFC west, and the two teams that run the rock best are at the top.

The Joker
11-17-2010, 09:35 PM
Over on the Chargers forum they're saying there's a strong possibility of rain on Monday night, could make things interesting.

broncofan2438
11-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Over on the Chargers forum they're saying there's a strong possibility of rain on Monday night, could make things interesting.

Yea, Im here in LA and its supposed to rain Sat, Sun, Mon

boltaneer
11-17-2010, 11:01 PM
The latest I heard is that it's supposed to clear up Monday.

enjolras
11-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Weather.com says partly cloudy and 52 degrees on Monday night.

broncocalijohn
11-18-2010, 12:39 AM

Sunday and Monday. In fact, we are getting cold enough weather that the local mountains are getting snow at 4k feet. Damn, just remembered I left my big Broncos jacket at my Big Bear Cabin.

El Guapo
11-18-2010, 04:16 AM
I've got rivers and Orton on my fantasy team. You bet your asses I'm starting our boy Orton. The Broncos fan in me just can't start the other dickweed.

crush17
11-18-2010, 07:37 AM
YI've got rivers and Orton on my fantasy team. You bet your asses I'm starting our boy Orton. The Broncos fan in me just can't start the other dickweed.

I'm in the exact same boat, and having to make this decision has also made me decide that I am done playing fantasy football after this season. I never want to be rooting for a division rivals player ever again.

Los Broncos
11-18-2010, 08:08 AM
Sunday and Monday. In fact, we are getting cold enough weather that the local mountains are getting snow at 4k feet. Damn, just remembered I left my big Broncos jacket at my Big Bear Cabin.

Were going to get wet Monday, hopefully we win.

Old Dude
11-18-2010, 08:22 AM
It's always weird how, with all the hype and stats, you expect some of these games to turn into aerial shootouts ... and then they go a whole different direction and you wind up with a 16-10 defensive struggle.

boltaneer
11-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Y

I'm in the exact same boat, and having to make this decision has also made me decide that I am done playing fantasy football after this season. I never want to be rooting for a division rivals player ever again.

Just don't pick any players on other AFC West teams. That's what I do.

Rigs11
11-18-2010, 10:24 AM
orton is teh worst qb in the league, noddle arm mofo. bench his ass!Ha!

Doggcow
11-18-2010, 10:34 AM
I've got rivers and Orton on my fantasy team. You bet your asses I'm starting our boy Orton. The Broncos fan in me just can't start the other dickweed.

I'd start Rivers, it's a win-win when you start guys against Denver.

I loved Watching Thomas Jones last week start for my fantasy team :)

broncocalijohn
11-18-2010, 10:37 AM
Y

I quit about 3 or 4 years ago when I had Tomlinson, couldnt trade him for a good price, and was sick of rooting for him to do well. Sat him the two times he played the Broncos and we all know how big of a game he had against us. I look at how insane people are "rooting" for an arch rival. Better if they just dont watch the box scores or games of those teams so you dont have any "effect" on the game (yes, yelling at the screen helps or hurts a player!). I now do Survivor leagues and Pick em here and @ the BF.

About the weather on Monday: Seems weather has moved up a day and we can be getting wet here in SoCal for Friday-Sunday.

Houshyamama
11-18-2010, 10:40 AM

My igoogle weather widget says: Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers. Highs 59 to 64.

Kaylore
11-18-2010, 10:49 AM
The two most prolific passers in the NFL face off on MNF. Orton's numbers are comparable to big Manning's except Manning has one less int. Awesome. ^5

strafen
11-18-2010, 11:23 AM
The two most prolific passers in the NFL face off on MNF. Orton's numbers are comparable to big Manning's except Manning has one less int. Awesome. ^5

His friendly system numbers may be comparable, but Orton is what he is...
At the end of the day, it is still Kyle freakin' Orton.

crush17
11-18-2010, 11:28 AM

lol. you must not have been watching the same game as everyone else on Sunday.

what I saw was a QB who has developed into one of the best in the league, and one who will certainly be crushing the opposition with any semblance of a healthy, experienced OLine.

all of you who constantly doubt lack one common thing. that's called PATIENCE.

stop being so fantasy football. stop being so madden. stop being so WIN NOW OR ELSE. you must realize that you've been spoiled over the past TWO DECADES of Broncos football that you don't know what it means to rebuild.

you have to give a coach, and his players time to get things right.

HAT
11-18-2010, 11:30 AM
It's always weird how, with all the hype and stats, you expect some of these games to turn into aerial shootouts ... and then they go a whole different direction and you wind up with a 16-10 defensive struggle.

The public will get hammered betting into over inflated totals this week. All those 300 yard passers & high 40s & 50s totals last week.....There is a ton of value in the unders this week.

Beantown Bronco
11-18-2010, 11:31 AM

The system is just one part of the equation. The QB still has to execute the system. Giving all the credit to the system means that any old QB could step right in and do just what Kyle's doing now. I think we all know that that is not even close to being the case.

Bronco Rob
11-18-2010, 11:37 AM

what I saw was a QB who has developed into one of the best in the league, and one who will certainly be crushing the opposition with any semblance of a healthy, experienced OLine.

stop being so fantasy football. stop being so madden. stop being so WIN NOW OR ELSE. you must realize that you've been spoiled over the past TWO DECADES of Broncos football that you don't know what it means to rebuild.

:strong:

HAT
11-18-2010, 11:49 AM

If it's not one thing it's another with these clowns....Remember how last year any success Orton had was because all he did was "dink & dunk"?

Now that that dumb ass theory has been completely shot down (Didn't I just read somewhere this week that Denver leads the league in 40 yard + pass plays?) they need something else to latch onto.

Just a few weeks ago, jhz & crew were rallying around the "empty yards" cry, AKA Orton doesn't score TD's.....Well, now that the Byes are over and every team has played an equal amount of games, Orton is 5th in TD passes (3 behind the leaders). And that's WITH Tebow poaching one here and there.

"But he's a statue!" Except that his YPC is the same as Vince Youngs.

"But Denver's 3-6!" Yeah, with a defense that's 30th in the league giving up 28 PPG and a run game that's dead last with 77 YPG.

"But the defense is just tired because Orton can't keep the offense on the field" Except that Denver's 3rd down % and time of possesion is equal to or better than many of the top defenses in the league.

"But, but, but......He's in a QB friendly system!"

Yeah, so?

crush17
11-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Haters gonna haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate...

SoDak Bronco
11-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Just don't pick any players on other AFC West teams. That's what I do.

unless his name is Gates...What a beast!! haha

broncocalijohn
11-18-2010, 01:00 PM
If it's not one thing it's another with these clowns....Remember how last year any success Orton had was because all he did was "dink & dunk"?

Now that that dumb ass theory has been completely shot down (Didn't I just read somewhere this week that Denver leads the league in 40 yard + pass plays?) they need something else to latch onto.

Just a few weeks ago, jhz & crew were rallying around the "empty yards" cry, AKA Orton doesn't score TD's.....Well, now that the Byes are over and every team has played an equal amount of games, Orton is 5th in TD passes (3 behind the leaders). And that's WITH Tebow poaching one here and there.

"But Denver's 3-6!" Yeah, with a defense that's 30th in the league giving up 28 PPG and a run game that's dead last with 77 YPG.

"But the defense is just tired because Orton can't keep the offense on the field" Except that Denver's 3rd down % and time of possesion is equal to or better than many of the top defenses in the league.

Yeah, so?

stop making sense ahole!

HAT
11-18-2010, 01:13 PM
stop making sense ahole!

My bad! Don't worry, Dragster will be along shortly to tell us all why he hates having a QB with these numbers:

96.4 QBR, 311 YPG, 16 TD's, 5 INT....You know, basically equal to Manning & Brady this year.

Then when he rants & raves that it's all due to "the system", we can make fun of him by backing him into a corner on Terrell Davis. Surely he thinks TD sucked also right? I mean, it was 'the system' and all.

Kaylore
11-18-2010, 02:29 PM

Yeah, so?

http://www.ftwins.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/nuke4.jpg

Rock Chalk
11-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Montana was a system QB.

Brady is a system QB.

Schaub is a system QB.

Come to think of it, very few QBs in history ARENT system QBs.

Homer Simpson
11-18-2010, 04:01 PM
*waits for the argument against Orton that isn't "he's Kyle Orton"*

Eagerly.

2KBack
11-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Montana was a system QB.

Brady is a system QB.

Schaub is a system QB.

Come to think of it, very few QBs in history ARENT system QBs.

QB's that are successful are so because they ran the system successfully. System QB is one of the worst cliches

400HZ
11-18-2010, 05:37 PM
The only "non-system" quarterback that I can think of is Brett Favre in the Wrangler commercials.

serious hops
11-18-2010, 09:15 PM
*waits for the argument against Orton that isn't "he's Kyle Orton"*

Eagerly.

No shiat.

Homer Simpson
11-18-2010, 09:26 PM
It's funny, the phenomenon of posting insults to one of our players, being disproven at every angle, then not returning to the thread (despite posting on the site intermittently all night)

crush17
11-18-2010, 09:54 PM
It's funny, the phenomenon of posting insults to one of our players, being disproven at every angle, then not returning to the thread (despite posting on the site intermittently all night)

I can think of another term for it.

Champagne Powder
11-19-2010, 12:34 AM
http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/7064/sportspictures320.jpg

HAT
11-19-2010, 04:28 AM

Dragster is way too busy stalking popps to come in here and take his medicine.

Well, that and cruising mock draft sites since he's on record for rooting for the Broncos to lose the rest of their games this year.

That being said, I can't wait to ask him thoughts on the system RB, TD.

Rock Chalk
11-19-2010, 04:59 AM

Yeah, so?

That's an ass raping of a post. I mean, really this is a complete ass raping and I'm glad I am not the recipient.

Tombstone RJ
11-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Is there two Monday Night Games?

Bronco Rob
11-20-2010, 04:40 AM
:thumbsup:

strafen
11-20-2010, 06:50 AM

Yeah, so?Sounds like a bunck of excuses to me.
The guy is not winning because he's got no defense.
Yup, that's what I thought. That's why he "won" in Chicago.

Look, the guy has ended games with a turnover in at least 3 of our losses.
He has demonstrated he can comeback from a deficit. He can't make things happen.
He did have a great game against the chiefs. I'll give you that. But Orton still sucks balls, and I don't care if he has similar numbers to Vince Young :spit:or you have him on your avatar stanting next to Manning. That doesn't make him anything else that he's not.
3-6 is what you need to look at. We were IN in some of those games we've lost. Orton can't help us there. He's a stiff.
Get rid of the bum, NOW!

Kaylore
11-20-2010, 07:00 AM
Sounds like a bunck of excuses to me.

He has demonstrated he can comeback from a deficit. He can't make things happen.
He did have a great game against the chiefs. I'll give you that. But Orton still sucks balls, and I don't care if he has similar numbers to Vince Young :spit:or you have him on your avatar stanting next to Manning. That doesn't make him anything else that he's not.
3-6 is what you need to look at. We were IN in some of those games we've lost. Orton can't help us there. He's a stiff.
Get rid of the bum, NOW!
I was actually looking for a quality rebuttal. Fail.

Homer Simpson
11-20-2010, 08:01 AM
Sounds like a bunck of excuses to me.

Get rid of the bum, NOW!

Oh my god. That's utterly laughable. You have been owned by HAT so badly.

OABB
11-20-2010, 10:23 PM
I almost feel bad for dragster. Almost.