PDA

View Full Version : Wow CU. Just Unbelievable.

spdirty
11-17-2010, 06:57 PM
McCartney says CU has contacted him about Buffs job
By John Henderson
The Denver Post
Posted: 11/17/2010 01:58:21 PM MST
Updated: 11/17/2010 06:20:44 PM MST

Read more: McCartney says CU has contacted him about Buffs job - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16638900#ixzz15bCPFchw
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Bill McCartney said today that Colorado has contacted him about the vacant head football coaching position at his former school.

McCartney, who retired in 1994 as the school's winningest all-time coach, would not say who contacted him, when the contact took place or the extent of the contact. He declined further comment.

CU officially named its search committee Wednesday afternoon to find a new coach.

CU's Faculty Athletics Representative and long-time faculty member, Dr. David Clough, will chair the seven-person committee. A professor in Chemical and Biological Engineering, he has been on the faculty since 1975.

Joining Clough on the committee are:

# Dr. Robert Boswell, Interim University of Colorado Vice Chancellor for Diversity, Equity & Community Engagement

# Dr. Elizabeth Bradley, Chair, Boulder Faculty Assembly Intercollegiate Athletics Committee and Professor, University of Colorado Department of Computer Science

# Dave Hoover, Chairman & CEO/Ball Corporation

# Roger Parker ('83, Business-Mineral Land Management), Chairman & CEO/Recovery Energy, Inc.

# Ric Porreca, Senior University of Colorado Vice Chancellor & Chief Financial Officer.

# George Solich ('83, Business-Mineral Land Management), President & CEO/Cordillera Energy Partners III, LLC.

According to CU, the committee members will study information on the candidates and make recommendations to athletic director Mike Bohn, who as the "hiring authority" is not a member of committee per university policy. The committee will also participate in interviews with candidates.

"I am pleased to be able to serve the university as the chair of the search committee for our head football coach and look forward to collaborating with this group of outstanding individuals," Clough said in the release.

The committee will meet for the first time later this week.

Athletic director Mike Bohn did not return calls seeking comment.

Last Tuesday, Bohn announced the firing of Dan Hawkins, who compiled a five-year record of 19-39, including 3-9 this year. Interim coach Brian Cabral, a 21-year assistant at the school, won his debut Saturday against Iowa State, 34-14.

Colorado (4-6, 1-5 Big 12) hosts Kansas State (6-4, 3-4) at 12:10 p.m. Saturday. A win over Kansas State and at ninth-ranked Nebraska (9-1, 5-1) Nov. 26 would make the Buffaloes bowl eligible for only the second time since Hawkins came aboard.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16638900

Hercules Rockefeller
11-17-2010, 07:05 PM
If you think that this a true search committee when they've known for months that Hawk was gone, then more power to you.

But those are 3 big donors, so hopefully this shows a willingness to shell out some $$$.

worm
11-17-2010, 09:27 PM
The only person less qualified to conduct a head coaching search.....is Joe Ellis.

spdirty
11-17-2010, 10:43 PM
If you think that this a true search committee when they've known for months that Hawk was gone, then more power to you.

But those are 3 big donors, so hopefully this shows a willingness to shell out some $$$.

Herc, first of all, this committee is a massive blunder from a PR persepective. Even Dan Hawkins would probably know that basic ordinary common sense says that announcing this committee to have input into the hiring of the next coach is extremely deflating to those who care about CU football. You're talking about 7 people who will have a say in the hiring of our new coach that have absolutely no real football experience.

In an interview with GMan, Les, and Jojo this aftenoon, Clough came out and said that this committee will compile the list of candidates for Mike Bohn. Is he lying there? What am I missing? Please, if you have insightful knowledge, share it. Put my mind at ease here. Because all I know when it comes to this process is what I read in the post and camera, and what I hear on the radio.

spdirty
11-17-2010, 10:44 PM
The only person less qualified to conduct a head coaching search.....is Joe Ellis.

CU is desperately trying to prove you wrong though.

BoulderBum
11-18-2010, 12:45 AM
Herc, first of all, this committee is a massive blunder from a PR persepective. Even Dan Hawkins would probably know that basic ordinary common sense says that announcing this committee to have input into the hiring of the next coach is extremely deflating to those who care about CU football. You're talking about 7 people who will have a say in the hiring of our new coach that have absolutely no real football experience.

In an interview with GMan, Les, and Jojo this aftenoon, Clough came out and said that this committee will compile the list of candidates for Mike Bohn. Is he lying there? What am I missing? Please, if you have insightful knowledge, share it. Put my mind at ease here. Because all I know when it comes to this process is what I read in the post and camera, and what I hear on the radio.

I like Clough a lot, I've had him as a professor and advisor, but he didn't come across well in that interview, and this could turn out to be a disaster. Why did they even announce who was on this committee? It doesn't make much sense to me.

I think they needed some people with at least SOME football to take part in this committee. I like the idea of people with money having influence though.

Rohirrim
11-18-2010, 05:52 AM
Whenever you assign a task to a committee, you are assured of mediocre results.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-18-2010, 06:01 AM
I will say that George Solich is a good man and is ALWAYS around the CU program. There aren't many who know it backwards and front like he does.

Just food for thought.

TheChamp24
11-18-2010, 06:26 AM
CU should go hard after Muschamp and Venables for one. Not sure who else is out there, but those two guys I think deserve a shot at head coaching.
If they want to win, go after them.

enjolras
11-18-2010, 09:08 AM
Mike Leach

bronco_diesel
11-18-2010, 09:14 AM
This is so backwards is silly.

You should have one or two (Bohn) qualified football people doing the search. They should vet out a series of candidates and bring in 2-3 for interviews.

At that point you bring in this comittee to weigh in and help in the decision process.

bronco_diesel
11-18-2010, 09:15 AM

this.

Rock Chalk
11-18-2010, 09:17 AM
CU should go hard after Muschamp and Venables for one. Not sure who else is out there, but those two guys I think deserve a shot at head coaching.
If they want to win, go after them.

Muschamp is a pipe dream. You are talking about a coach-in-waiting at the richest athletic school in the country by far.

Venables is a good option but with Snyder going to retire soon, Kstate may come calling for a former player and coach who learned under Snyder (let's face it, Snyder is only a stop gap for the Wildcats dude is like 100 years old).

Even if CU grabs one of these two dudes, they wont be staying long when Brown/Snyder retires.

BoulderBum
11-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Based on that committee, there is no doubt in my mind that the next coach will have CU ties. As the article says, I think Mac is the most likely. I'm not a huge fan of bringing in a 70 year old man who hasn't been around the college game in depth in 16 years. A lot has changed...

TheChamp24
11-18-2010, 09:49 AM
Muschamp is a pipe dream. You are talking about a coach-in-waiting at the richest athletic school in the country by far.

Venables is a good option but with Snyder going to retire soon, Kstate may come calling for a former player and coach who learned under Snyder (let's face it, Snyder is only a stop gap for the Wildcats dude is like 100 years old).

Even if CU grabs one of these two dudes, they wont be staying long when Brown/Snyder retires.

I realize Muschamp might be a pipe dream for the CU faithful, but you have to inquire about him IMO.
And I honestly don't see Mack Brown stepping down/fired for a good while, so Muschamp might like to leave. However, will CU drastically overpay him to get him to come? Probably not.

Dedhed
11-18-2010, 09:54 AM
I don't see much wrong with having a committee help in the compilation of a list of candidates. If that's what it takes to get them to donate the capital required to make CU relevant again, I'm all for it.

However, make sure that it's a very broad list, and that they aren't involved in the final decision.

Steve Sewell
11-18-2010, 10:23 AM

Would you rather have Bohnhead making the decision? His hiring record for athletic coaches is nothing short of abysmal.

I'm glad they have people like Solich on this committee, otherwise Bohner would hire someone like Troy Calhoun. While Calhoun is a good coach, he has the personality of a choir boy and would take a long time to establish recruiting in-roads in the Pac-10.

CU needs someone with ties the the program and/or the Pac-10, and someone who will make a big splash to generate enthusiasm and increased financial support for donors.

Rock Chalk
11-18-2010, 10:41 AM
I realize Muschamp might be a pipe dream for the CU faithful, but you have to inquire about him IMO.
And I honestly don't see Mack Brown stepping down/fired for a good while, so Muschamp might like to leave. However, will CU drastically overpay him to get him to come? Probably not.

Brown's contract ends in 2016, by which time he will be 63 years old.

Even if CU gets Muschamp, he will bolt in 2016 and go back to Texas which can pay him much more money.

CU would be better off trying to get someone who can be there long term and build a winning program. Althuogh, leasing Muschamp for 5 years might do a lot, the reality is no one really knows how well Muschamp can recruit outside of Texas and with CU no longer being in the big 12, the allure for Texas recruits goes out the window.

Who knows though.

crush17
11-18-2010, 10:57 AM
The best and most logical choice for CU is Eric Bieniemy.

Rock Chalk
11-18-2010, 11:05 AM
The best and most logical choice for CU is Eric Bieniemy.

This is a good idea. CU ties, has experience in the recruiting area, the only question is can he transition from merely a RB coach to a HC?

crush17
11-18-2010, 11:09 AM
This is a good idea. CU ties, has experience in the recruiting area, the only question is can he transition from merely a RB coach to a HC?

He's not just an RB coach, he's an RB coach in the NFL.
That's got to amount to something considering he'd be coming back down to the college ranks.

Eldorado
11-18-2010, 11:15 AM
I like Clough a lot, I've had him as a professor and advisor, but he didn't come across well in that interview, and this could turn out to be a disaster. Why did they even announce who was on this committee? It doesn't make much sense to me.

I think they needed some people with at least SOME football to take part in this committee. I like the idea of people with money having influence though.

I graduated as a Chem E from CU in 06 and I count Clough as a friend. Prof Clough bleeds black and ****s gold. If, as a football fan, you were required to put an academic on the committee, you couldn't find one more hell bent on brining winning back to Folsom. This is awesome.

DomCasual
11-18-2010, 11:17 AM
Would you rather have Bohnhead making the decision? His hiring record for athletic coaches is nothing short of abysmal.

I'm glad they have people like Solich on this committee, otherwise Bohner would hire someone like Troy Calhoun. While Calhoun is a good coach, he has the personality of a choir boy and would take a long time to establish recruiting in-roads in the Pac-10.

CU needs someone with ties the the program and/or the Pac-10, and someone who will make a big splash to generate enthusiasm and increased financial support for donors.

I don't know. I think Tad Boyle will turn out to be a solid coach for CU. And at the time of their hirings, I was all for Hawkins and Bzdelik. I would have liked to have seen the trigger pulled on Hawkins a lot faster, but I don't think that was Bohn's call - at least last year.

FantomForce
11-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Bring in Cowher

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-18-2010, 11:28 AM

NFL or no, a head coach is like being a CEO. The fact that Bienemy hasn't run a full side of the ball yet is concerning to me, but I'm all for the idea.

I'd like to see Mac brought in, with Bienemy as an OC, with a plan to transition Bienemy into the role in a few years.

Rohirrim
11-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Bringing in EB means we suffer for a few more years while he does OJT. No thanks. Wait til the season is over and go after Chris Petersen. At least go for the top possibility out there before settling for anything less.

JJG
11-18-2010, 01:03 PM
why would Chris Petersen want to go to CU?

crush17
11-18-2010, 01:17 PM
Its about having ties to the CU culture and history, not just who's the best name out there.

Tombstone RJ
11-18-2010, 01:20 PM
McCartney says CU has contacted him about Buffs job
By John Henderson
The Denver Post
Posted: 11/17/2010 01:58:21 PM MST
Updated: 11/17/2010 06:20:44 PM MST

Read more: McCartney says CU has contacted him about Buffs job - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16638900#ixzz15bCPFchw
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Bill McCartney said today that Colorado has contacted him about the vacant head football coaching position at his former school.

McCartney, who retired in 1994 as the school's winningest all-time coach, would not say who contacted him, when the contact took place or the extent of the contact. He declined further comment.

CU officially named its search committee Wednesday afternoon to find a new coach.

CU's Faculty Athletics Representative and long-time faculty member, Dr. David Clough, will chair the seven-person committee. A professor in Chemical and Biological Engineering, he has been on the faculty since 1975.

Joining Clough on the committee are:

# Dr. Robert Boswell, Interim University of Colorado Vice Chancellor for Diversity, Equity & Community Engagement

# Dr. Elizabeth Bradley, Chair, Boulder Faculty Assembly Intercollegiate Athletics Committee and Professor, University of Colorado Department of Computer Science

# Dave Hoover, Chairman & CEO/Ball Corporation

# Roger Parker ('83, Business-Mineral Land Management), Chairman & CEO/Recovery Energy, Inc.

# Ric Porreca, Senior University of Colorado Vice Chancellor & Chief Financial Officer.

# George Solich ('83, Business-Mineral Land Management), President & CEO/Cordillera Energy Partners III, LLC.

According to CU, the committee members will study information on the candidates and make recommendations to athletic director Mike Bohn, who as the "hiring authority" is not a member of committee per university policy. The committee will also participate in interviews with candidates.

"I am pleased to be able to serve the university as the chair of the search committee for our head football coach and look forward to collaborating with this group of outstanding individuals," Clough said in the release.

The committee will meet for the first time later this week.

Athletic director Mike Bohn did not return calls seeking comment.

Last Tuesday, Bohn announced the firing of Dan Hawkins, who compiled a five-year record of 19-39, including 3-9 this year. Interim coach Brian Cabral, a 21-year assistant at the school, won his debut Saturday against Iowa State, 34-14.

Colorado (4-6, 1-5 Big 12) hosts Kansas State (6-4, 3-4) at 12:10 p.m. Saturday. A win over Kansas State and at ninth-ranked Nebraska (9-1, 5-1) Nov. 26 would make the Buffaloes bowl eligible for only the second time since Hawkins came aboard.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16638900

The People's Republic of Boulder strikes again!! LOL

Its the academic snobs leading the righteous elitists into football obscurity. Congrats CU, you still don't get it.

Rohirrim
11-18-2010, 01:43 PM
why would Chris Petersen want to go to CU?

For starters? I would think no more BCS snubs. Second: Pac12 over MWC?

JJG
11-18-2010, 02:34 PM
For starters? I would think no more BCS snubs. Second: Pac12 over MWC?

Bsu hasn't really been snubbed by the bcs though. Both years they were deserving, they got in.
Pac 12 is better than MWC top to bottom for sure. MWC would have been more respectable if BYU and Utah stayed, but even still, its better than the current WAC. If BSU can be in national championship talks while in the WAC, I don't see why they can't when they join the MWC

Hercules Rockefeller
11-18-2010, 02:59 PM

At no point do I think this committee will "compile" the list of possible coaches for Bohn. They're going to be given a list of targets and we'll be told that this is the list the committee "compiled" for Bohn to consider. They might publicly be the face of the process, but they're not the people in control of the process.

For better or worse, Bohn identifies his target and goes after him (Hawkins, Bzedelik, and Boyle). Hawkins was obviously a disaster, but at the time everyone thought it was a great hire. Bzedelik started to turn the basketball program a bit, and we'll see what Boyle does but he did bring in one of their best recruiting classes ever in this Fall's Early Signing Period.

People also need to remember that the football coach is a state employee, and probably the highest paid one at that. They can't just stack the committee with former players, coaches, or whoever.

At the end of the day, this group is going to rubber stamp whoever the athletics people want as coach.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Its about having ties to the CU culture and history, not just who's the best name out there.

No, it's about making the best hire possible. If that is someone with CU ties (EB), then great, but it shouldn't be the be all, end all like Klatt keeps screaming it needs to be.

Rock Chalk
11-18-2010, 03:49 PM
No, it's about making the best hire possible. If that is someone with CU ties (EB), then great, but it shouldn't be the be all, end all like Klatt keeps screaming it needs to be.

This. Although a coach with CU ties, especially one that comes in and does really well, helps to keep that coach at CU instead of being lured away to a bigger program. Still, you go with the best man available and hope he stays a while, long enough anyway that someone on his staff who is also competent and deserving of replacing him can step in if he does leave.

You gotta think that playing in the Pac 10 is going to be difficult for CU the first couple of years. Being in a new conference with a new coach and a new system having to recruit in a new area is going to be hard.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-18-2010, 03:54 PM
CU primarily recruits in California and Arizona already, they're not changing recruiting areas.

Rock Chalk
11-18-2010, 04:00 PM
CU primarily recruits in California and Arizona already, they're not changing recruiting areas.

Hmm, then it really should help them gain more recruits. California/Arizona kids will be playing in their "own" conference now and will be viewed on TV locally more often. Added bonus I guess.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-18-2010, 04:02 PM
Hmm, then it really should help them gain more recruits. California/Arizona kids will be playing in their "own" conference now and will be viewed on TV locally more often. Added bonus I guess.

Exactly

Rock Chalk
11-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Exactly

Which begs the question, why not, in Big 12 country, recruit Texas and Oklahoma? There are more than enough recruits that dont go to the Texas and Oklahoma schools that want to stay in the Big 12.

Karenin
11-18-2010, 04:16 PM
The People's Republic of Boulder strikes again!! LOL

Its the academic snobs leading the righteous elitists into football obscurity. Congrats CU, you still don't get it.

Just out of curiosity, which piece of **** third-rate state college did you attend (if you even attended college, which I'm beginning to doubt)?

Dudeskey
11-18-2010, 05:06 PM

With Cabral being in the program for so long, he makes the most sense to me @ this juncture. Especially if they're looking to go "within the family".

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-18-2010, 05:16 PM
With Cabral being in the program for so long, he makes the most sense to me @ this juncture. Especially if they're looking to go "within the family".

Not a head coach. Absolutely not a head coach.

KipCorrington25
11-18-2010, 06:40 PM

Yeah it's always wise to hire internally a position coach from a staff that just totally flamed out...

Gee, Ben McDaniels for head coach!!!! ROFL!

Lev Vyvanse
11-18-2010, 06:47 PM

Californa, yes.
Arizona, not so much.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-18-2010, 06:53 PM
Not over the past year or so, but yes, they do recruit Arizona.

enjolras
11-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Californa, yes.
Arizona, not so much.

I think CU will be much more effective in California, however. Look at what they did in Basketball this year.

Lev Vyvanse
11-18-2010, 07:01 PM
Not over the past year or so, but yes, they do recruit Arizona.

Primarily? Texas and California. In the last 20 years, I bet we have recruited more kids from Hawaii then Arizona.

Lev Vyvanse
11-18-2010, 07:12 PM
I think CU will be much more effective in California, however. Look at what they did in Basketball this year.

I don't know about basketball. I have been pumped since they announced the twelve Pac move because of the California recruiting. In our division we are guaranteed to play a game in SoCal every year.

spdirty
11-18-2010, 07:16 PM
Would you rather have Bohnhead making the decision?

Well, Bohn is making the final decision.

His hiring record for athletic coaches is nothing short of abysmal.

I know.

Calhoun is an excellent coach. I think one of the best in college football, and the best head coach at any level in the State of Colorado. But first, I think he has absolutely no interest in Colorado and all the headaches that would result. I think he thoroughly enjoys being where he is at. But as much respect as I have for Calhoun, and the fact that his coaching ability would make up for any shortcomings he would have when it comes to recruiting, I do not want him here. His best fits are to either stay at Air Force or to go to a top notch program or NFL team where all he really has to do is coach. I'd rather see him as coach of the Broncos than the Buffs.

I agree. My wish list is 1. Mac/Bienemy 2. Bienemy 3. Mac 4. Embree 5. Cabral.

spdirty
11-18-2010, 07:19 PM
I graduated as a Chem E from CU in 06 and I count Clough as a friend. Prof Clough bleeds black and ****s gold. If, as a football fan, you were required to put an academic on the committee, you couldn't find one more hell bent on brining winning back to Folsom. This is awesome.

Great.

Lev Vyvanse
11-18-2010, 07:23 PM
Great.

Three of those members are checkbooks. Why do you think they are on the committee?

spdirty
11-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Bringing in EB means we suffer for a few more years while he does OJT. No thanks. Wait til the season is over and go after Chris Petersen. At least go for the top possibility out there before settling for anything less.

Good God man, forget about Chris Peterson. He's not going to be our next coach. He's just not OK? We already went down the Boise State well and we pulled out crap. And you're probably the only guy that wants to go there again.

And while we're at it, Muschamp isn't coming here.

Les Miles isn't coming here.

Nick Saban isn't coming here.

Bill Cowher isn't coming here.

Mike Richt isn't coming here.

And you don't want Bellotti, a guy who knows nothing about the program to come here, unless he brings Phil Knight with him.

Tim
11-18-2010, 07:34 PM
I'd like to see Dave Logan on the sidelines in boulder

Lev Vyvanse
11-18-2010, 07:42 PM

You hate CU don't you?

spdirty
11-18-2010, 07:57 PM
Three of those members are checkbooks. Why do you think they are on the committee?

At first glance it screamed of "appease the faculty!!!" and "winning doesn't matter a hill of ****" but now while I'm still not OK with it, but I feel a tad better about it than last night.

spdirty
11-18-2010, 07:59 PM

Well just add Logan to the list of people who aren't coming here.

Tombstone RJ
11-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Just out of curiosity, which piece of **** third-rate state college did you attend (if you even attended college, which I'm beginning to doubt)?

Congrats, another CU elitist. I attended Aurora Community College, how do you like me now?

PS, I bet you wannt suck off Obama too...

Lev Vyvanse
11-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Congrats, another CU elitist. I attended Aurora Community College, how do you like me now?

PS, I bet you wannt suck off Obama too...

:spit:
You sure told him.

Rohirrim
11-19-2010, 10:12 AM
Good God man, forget about Chris Peterson. He's not going to be our next coach. He's just not OK? We already went down the Boise State well and we pulled out crap. And you're probably the only guy that wants to go there again.

And while we're at it, Muschamp isn't coming here.

Les Miles isn't coming here.

Nick Saban isn't coming here.

Bill Cowher isn't coming here.

Mike Richt isn't coming here.

And you don't want Bellotti, a guy who knows nothing about the program to come here, unless he brings Phil Knight with him.

The reality is, you have no idea what you're talking about. What surprises me is how many CU fans are talking like this program has nothing to offer anybody so the first thing we should do is start digging around at the bottom of the barrel. I think that's utter bull****. CU has a hell of a lot to offer some coach. Hell, just stand up on the Flatirons and look at the damn place! Plus, we're entering the Pac12 next year. That means games up and down the Pacific Coast. Bigger TV market. The search committee should start at the top, not the bottom. That's all I have to say.

And you have no idea also what Petersen would do. Obviously, the record proves that Hawkins was the wrong guy to take. Petersen is not the same as Hawkins - OBVIOUSLY.

STFU, dimwit.

ColoradoBuff

EB was the nation's # recruiter before he left UCLA for Vikings

NFLBRONCO
Mac and EB write it down its a done deal.

ColoradoBuff
11-19-2010, 10:15 AM
At no point do I think this committee will "compile" the list of possible coaches for Bohn. They're going to be given a list of targets and we'll be told that this is the list the committee "compiled" for Bohn to consider. They might publicly be the face of the process, but they're not the people in control of the process.

For better or worse, Bohn identifies his target and goes after him (Hawkins, Bzedelik, and Boyle). Hawkins was obviously a disaster, but at the time everyone thought it was a great hire. Bzedelik started to turn the basketball program a bit, and we'll see what Boyle does but he did bring in one of their best recruiting classes ever in this Fall's Early Signing Period.

People also need to remember that the football coach is a state employee, and probably the highest paid one at that. They can't just stack the committee with former players, coaches, or whoever.

At the end of the day, this group is going to rubber stamp whoever the athletics people want as coach.

i agree. Bohn is the one doing the search and Bohn will sit down with the "committee" and pro/con Bohn's short list of coaches and get their feel as how the coach would fit at CU athletically/academically.

ColoradoBuff
11-19-2010, 10:16 AM
Mac and EB write it down its a done deal.

just a guess or do you have inside info?:pimp:

ColoradoBuff
11-19-2010, 10:20 AM
Well, Bohn is making the final decision.

I know.

Calhoun is an excellent coach. I think one of the best in college football, and the best head coach at any level in the State of Colorado. But first, I think he has absolutely no interest in Colorado and all the headaches that would result. I think he thoroughly enjoys being where he is at. But as much respect as I have for Calhoun, and the fact that his coaching ability would make up for any shortcomings he would have when it comes to recruiting, I do not want him here. His best fits are to either stay at Air Force or to go to a top notch program or NFL team where all he really has to do is coach. I'd rather see him as coach of the Broncos than the Buffs.

I agree. My wish list is 1. Mac/Bienemy 2. Bienemy 3. Mac 4. Embree 5. Cabral.

First off....Calhoun would not be a good fit at CU for many reasons. He hasn't ever shown he can recruit with the big boys. 2nd...I wouldn't mind having Cabral staying on as DC with the new coach, i'm not so sure about him as the HC and Embree? no thanks! not as a HC....maybe in some capacity but no HC or OC.

NFLBRONCO
11-19-2010, 10:35 AM

Its my top guess I'll be shocked if its anyone else. I think the prospect of building the program back to solid will be a draw for Mac & EB.

BroncoBuff
11-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Which begs the question, why not, in Big 12 country, recruit Texas and Oklahoma? There are more than enough recruits that dont go to the Texas and Oklahoma schools that want to stay in the Big 12.

Can't answer that, but it's always made me wonder.

I can tell you for a fact that CU recruits against the six AZ, OR and WA schools more than any six Big XII ones. Look at the right column: http://colorado.scout.com/a.z?s=148&p=9&c=4&yr=2011

And wtf Chris Petersen?! Go down that same road again, no f'ing way.

Beantown Bronco
11-19-2010, 10:41 AM

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ptFhhz5Lrqk?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ptFhhz5Lrqk?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

NFLBRONCO
11-19-2010, 10:44 AM
I think this hire will tell me how serious CU is to having a good program again.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-19-2010, 10:50 AM

For whatever it's worth, I know Solich is a huge proponent of Mac/EB pairing, and has been talking about it for months.

BroncoBuff
11-19-2010, 10:54 AM
For whatever it's worth, I know Solich is a huge proponent of Mac/EB pairing, and has been talking about it for months.

Wtf?

Is that some dense husker smack or what?

Roh is right, we should be aiming high, we're an elite university and a borderline elite (potential) football program. Plus Pac 12 now. Urban Myer is my first call.

ColoradoBuff
11-19-2010, 10:54 AM
sorry NFL.....misread your message. I agree and hope that it's an EB/Mac combo!

Tombstone RJ
11-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Wtf?

Roh is right, we should be aiming high, we're an elite university and a borderline elite (potential) football program. Plus Pac 12 now. Urban Myer is my first call.

Not sure if serious...

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-19-2010, 01:37 PM
Wtf?

Are you being serious right now?

Solich is one of the biggest CU boosters. Owner of Cordillera Energy. Big mucky-muck at the university. And in the OP, he's listed as one of the guys on the committee.

No, it's not "some dense husker smack."

And Urban Meyer? Good luck with that.

NFLBRONCO
11-19-2010, 01:42 PM
sorry NFL.....misread your message. I agree and hope that it's an EB/Mac combo!

No problem

I just think the Mac\EB combo would generate more excitement at a better $$$ price. Heck I even think more of the championship team will come and be asst's in a pinch too.

CU needs a big time HC with a rep of success to get this program decent again. I just don't see a highly sought HC would even consider CU other then to up contract amount for schools he really wants. Another Hawkins type hire won't help.

BroncoBuff
11-19-2010, 01:42 PM
Not sure if serious...

Hah, I saw 'Solich' and thought NU ... where is Solich now, and was that a serious recommendation?

Oh sorry Moose, now I get it. I was thinking Frank Solich, never mind

Feel free to reply to me: STFU Dimwit

I'd kinda like that.

Tombstone RJ
11-19-2010, 01:45 PM
Hah, I saw 'Solich' and thought NU ... where is Solich now, and was that a serious recommendation?

Oh sorry Moose, now I get it. I was thinking Frank Solich, never mind

What about the rest of your post? I agree CU is a great academic institution but I don't know if it's "elite" and I know for a fact the athletic department is not elite in any manner.

I'd rate Arkansas' athletic department heads and tails above CUs bogus athletic department.

JJG
11-19-2010, 02:32 PM
Wtf?

bit of an outsiders point of view:

What exactly makes CU so elite? (not trying to bash, just wondering) Moving from the big12 the the pac 12 seems like a lateral move, at least in the football world. I understand recruiting might be better, but why would a coach, leave the SEC to come to a struggling CU program.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-19-2010, 02:40 PM
I don't think CU is elite either. Certainly not the athletic program.

I like the school. I just don't think I'd ever characterize it as elite, or even having elite potential.

BroncoBuff
11-19-2010, 02:57 PM
I SAID: "Elite university" (it is), and "Borderline elite (potential) football program."

That's what I said ... all true.

Apparently the Pac-10 has been after us for quite awhile, according to them. Those Pac-10 guys seem thrilled. The next Pac-10 football game you see, look on the field, they already have a new Pac-10 logo, complete with a mountain image, they say in recognition of us (and Utah).

There were always rumors they wanted us, even back when I went to school, but I never knew they were true.

Here it is ... when did we join? They introduced this logo in July.

http://nbcsportsmedia2.msnbc.com/j/NBCSports/Sections/_Daily%20Stories/PAC10_MAIN_MARK.standard.jpg

Tombstone RJ
11-19-2010, 03:04 PM
I SAID: "Elite university" (it is), and "Borderline elite (potential) football program."

Apparently the Pac-10 has been after us for quite awhile, according to them. Those Pac-10 guys seem thrilled. The next Pac-10 football game you see, look on the field, they already have a new Pac-10 logo, complete with a mountain image, they say in recognition of us (and Utah).

There were always rumors they wanted us, even back when I went to school, but I never knew they were true.

Just because the Pac 10 wants CU does not by default make it an "elite" university, no more than Washington State or Oregon State or Arizona State... Pac 10 is a well rounded conference in that it has some elite academic schools mixed in with some very nice state institutions.

Tombstone RJ
11-19-2010, 03:05 PM

Here it is ... when did we join? They introduced this logo in July.

http://nbcsportsmedia2.msnbc.com/j/NBCSports/Sections/_Daily%20Stories/PAC10_MAIN_MARK.standard.jpg

I'm sure Utah has nothing to do with the Mountains, right? It's all CU, all the time!!

:wiggle:

Eldorado
11-19-2010, 03:06 PM
I don't think CU is elite either. Certainly not the athletic program.

I like the school. I just don't think I'd ever characterize it as elite, or even having elite potential.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'I don't think CU is elite', but the aerospace and chemical engineering programs are elite.

JJG
11-19-2010, 03:24 PM

CU is closer to being elite in academics than a borderline elite football program.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-19-2010, 03:26 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by 'I don't think CU is elite', but the aerospace and chemical engineering programs are elite.

Good law school as well.

I was referring mostly to the athletics of the institution. There's no question that there are some very strong professional schools at CU. Econ is another strong department.

Tombstone RJ
11-19-2010, 03:41 PM
CU really is a great school in a lot of ways academically, it's as much an "elite" state school as any in the US. That being said, it's athletic department leaves much to be desired.

Rohirrim
11-19-2010, 04:11 PM
I believe there will be many excellent coaches out there who will look upon CU as a very attractive option at the end of this season. I hope CU admin takes it time.

I hear Parcells is looking for a new gig...

I kid. ;D

bombay
11-19-2010, 05:05 PM
Colorado is historically a top 25 program. When the herd of bimbos (Keenan, Hoffman) attempted to kill the football program, they damaged it very deeply. Colorado still has more North Division titles in this decade (4) than any other North school. Also an overall conference title. Hawkins' five years have been so damn dismal that typical short attention span americans think it's always been this way.

It hasn't.

Far from it.

spdirty
11-19-2010, 10:47 PM
The reality is, you have no idea what you're talking about. What surprises me is how many CU fans are talking like this program has nothing to offer anybody so the first thing we should do is start digging around at the bottom of the barrel. I think that's utter bull****. CU has a hell of a lot to offer some coach. Hell, just stand up on the Flatirons and look at the damn place!

Oh, so we have nice scenery. My God that just does it right there! Meanwhile, have you been to any CU games at all? The "fans" are a bunch of unsophisticated flaky dip****s who don't know the difference between a screen pass and a screen door. And always have been. A lot of the faculty absolutely despises CU football. The president thinks CU football is nothing more than a necessary evil. So you can forget about the school making exceptions for blue chip recruits whose grades aren't up to par with the school. Oh and booster donations are laughable. Did I mention the football team still has no indoor practice facility?

Oh and Chris Peterson can forget about getting fair market value for his services because CU will not pay a coach more than 2 mil, when he can make at least double that at a "Football Factory" school. He just got a 5 year 8 million dollar contract last spring and CU will not offer him much more than that.http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/04/23/1164947/state-board-approves-petersens.html

A coach that comes here has to understand that. And has to know how to overcome all those obstacles. And do it at less than fair market value.

Chris Peterson, if he wanted to "move up" the ladder and go to a more prestigious school. There are quite a few BCS schools out there that are rich in tradition, have an alumni and faculty that will fully support him, and give him everything he needs to be successful. CU is not one of them. CU, like you, has a vastly overinflated opinion of themselves. They think they are the Harvard of the west, which they aren't even close to being. http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/national-universities-rankings/page+4 In fact ****ing Alabama and Auburn are ranked ahead of them.

The first step in improving the university is if the university accepts the fact that they aren't diddly **** right now.

Plus, we're entering the Pac12 next year. That means games up and down the Pacific Coast. Bigger TV market. The search committee should start at the top, not the bottom. That's all I have to say.

5 years ago "the top" was Dan Talkins. How did that turn out?

For me, "the top" is somebody that understands where this university is at right now, is a dynamic recruiter, and has a love and a passion for CU football. Not Chuck Fairbanks and Dan Talkins.

And you have no idea also what Petersen would do. Obviously, the record proves that Hawkins was the wrong guy to take. Petersen is not the same as Hawkins - OBVIOUSLY.

STFU, dimwit.

You don't know that he would turn it around dip****. Especially when he probably also won't be able to bring his assistants here either. Grow up, wake up, open your eyes, and get a ****ing clue as to where this university is at right now.

spdirty
11-19-2010, 11:37 PM
Woelk: It`s no simple task to find next coach for CU Buffs

Neill Woelk
Posted: 11/20/2010 12:05:51 AM MST

The most popular discussion among Colorado football fans these days has nothing to do with an actual game.

Rather, Buff fans are spending their days debating about how CU should fill its head coaching vacancy.

The answer is simple.

Colorado officials should call Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh and tell him they have $20 million waiting for a home in his pocket as soon as he moves to Boulder. CU officials should then add that they have another $2 million in hand for his coaching staff, and $100 million on stand-by to begin construction of that permanent indoor practice facility that is waiting for his stamp of approval.

If Harbaugh needs any added incentive, they should also let him know that CU plans to re-institute its physical education department immediately, which will make it much easier to keep players eligible (Stanford has one, by the way).

Then wait for Harbaugh to arrive and the victories and bowl games to start piling up.
Ah, you say, but CU doesn`t have $20 million to spend on a five-year contract for a head coach. Neither can CU afford $2 million for its coaching staff pool, a permanent indoor facility is much closer to a 4/20 pipe dream than it is a reality and P.E. classes are never returning to CU.

Bingo.

That is why hiring a football coach at Colorado isn`t the same as hiring a coach at Alabama, Texas, Southern Cal.

Football factories identify the best possible candidate and hire him. Alabama did it four years ago, when they kept raising the ante until Nick Saban couldn`t say no. Michigan made it impossible for Rich Rodriguez to stay in West Virginia. Texas gives Mack Brown a raise every time he turns around.

But Colorado can`t do that. Colorado must find someone who can not only survive in the unique circumstances CU presents, but thrive under those circumstances -- and at a reduced price.

That`s a task only a couple of people have mastered in the last 50 years.

Which is why the search committee announced by CU this week is nowhere near the disaster people have suggested.

Rather, the committee has what is necessary in CU`s case: people qualified to vet the candidates and help determine whether they could indeed thrive under the circumstances CU presents.

The act of identifying 10 good football coaches is not a difficult one.

But the act of identifying even a couple of good coaches who could successfully negotiate the landscape in Boulder is a very difficult one -- and it`s why having members of CU`s faculty and members of CU`s campus administration is a good idea.
Guaranteed, nobody on CU`s campus knows any better what difficulties a CU athlete will face than David Clough -- and nobody is more qualified to ask CU`s potential head coach how he will help his athletes deal with those land mines.
It`s the same across the board.

Campus finances? CU vice chancellor and chief financial officer Ric Porreca can lay out the financial realities for the candidates -- before they take the job.
Booster support? Dave Hoover (Ball Corporation), Roger Parker (Recovery Energy) and George Solich (Cordillera Energy) will give that constituency a voice.

Understand, the search committee isn`t going to identify every candidate.

But they are going to very carefully discuss and debate the merits of every name presented to them. Some of the names will be presented to them by athletic director Mike Bohn. Some of the members will have their own list of names.

And in the end, they`ll be charged with finding the best possible coach for Colorado.
By the way, when Stanford hired its last football coach, half the committee -- the "athletic" half that included two Stanford football players and members of the athletic department -- wanted former Stanford star James Lofton.

The other half -- the half made up of the academic side of the board -- wanted Harbaugh, who was coaching at I-AA San Diego.

Athletic director Bob Bowlsby broke the tie and hired Harbaugh.

CU fans can only hope that Colorado`s search committee can produce the same kind of results.

http://www.buffzone.com/ci_16664512

The bolded part is for guys like Ro who have no freaking concept of what the state of CU football is right now. Maybe one day you will learn to accept reality when it bites you in the ass.

extralife
11-19-2010, 11:46 PM
academically, it's as much an "elite" state school as any in the US.

ehhh, it's pretty clearly behind UC Berkeley and Michigan Ann Arbor. Probably a solid number 3, though.

Rohirrim
11-20-2010, 07:08 AM
Oh, so we have nice scenery. My God that just does it right there! Meanwhile, have you been to any CU games at all? The "fans" are a bunch of unsophisticated flaky dip****s who don't know the difference between a screen pass and a screen door. And always have been. A lot of the faculty absolutely despises CU football. The president thinks CU football is nothing more than a necessary evil. So you can forget about the school making exceptions for blue chip recruits whose grades aren't up to par with the school. Oh and booster donations are laughable. Did I mention the football team still has no indoor practice facility?

Oh and Chris Peterson can forget about getting fair market value for his services because CU will not pay a coach more than 2 mil, when he can make at least double that at a "Football Factory" school. He just got a 5 year 8 million dollar contract last spring and CU will not offer him much more than that.http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/04/23/1164947/state-board-approves-petersens.html

A coach that comes here has to understand that. And has to know how to overcome all those obstacles. And do it at less than fair market value.

Chris Peterson, if he wanted to "move up" the ladder and go to a more prestigious school. There are quite a few BCS schools out there that are rich in tradition, have an alumni and faculty that will fully support him, and give him everything he needs to be successful. CU is not one of them. CU, like you, has a vastly overinflated opinion of themselves. They think they are the Harvard of the west, which they aren't even close to being. http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/national-universities-rankings/page+4 In fact ****ing Alabama and Auburn are ranked ahead of them.

The first step in improving the university is if the university accepts the fact that they aren't diddly **** right now.

5 years ago "the top" was Dan Talkins. How did that turn out?

For me, "the top" is somebody that understands where this university is at right now, is a dynamic recruiter, and has a love and a passion for CU football. Not Chuck Fairbanks and Dan Talkins.

You don't know that he would turn it around dip****. Especially when he probably also won't be able to bring his assistants here either. Grow up, wake up, open your eyes, and get a ****ing clue as to where this university is at right now.

Nobody needs to tell me where it is right now. Trust me. What I'm hoping for is change. What I'm hoping is that the powers that be should realize they are on the brink of going into a hole that they might never get out of and if they make an uninspired and "cheap" decision this time around they could be kissing this program goodbye. If you want something worthwhile, you have to invest something worthwhile. You talk like there's no hope and we might as well throw in the towel.

My suggestion of a target of the caliber of Chris Petersen is meant as a reach. Definitely. But that's what this organization should do right now. They should show the college football nation that they are serious about the program, entering the Pac12, and are willing to create a new legacy. They need to make a splash. Bring somebody in that generates excitement, especially in recruitment. Too bad the economy sucks so bad. In the end, that might dictate what they do.

BroncoBuff
11-20-2010, 08:31 AM

It's not "inside" info anymore:

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/3350/bienemy.jpg

Rohirrim
11-20-2010, 10:08 AM
That's what we need, a guy who apprenticed under Childress. Hilarious!

TonyR
11-20-2010, 10:51 AM
ehhh, it's pretty clearly behind UC Berkeley and Michigan Ann Arbor. Probably a solid number 3, though.

This publication ranks CU 39th: http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/national-top-public

This one 74th best in state value, 96th best out of state value:
http://www.kiplinger.com/tools/colleges/pubcollege.php?sortby=INRANK&orderby=flip&states%5B%5D=ALL&myschool%5B%5D=none&outputby=table

It doesn't make the top 25 here and is ranked 185th overall including private schools:
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/94/best-colleges-10_Americas-Best-Colleges_Rank_8.html

Tombstone RJ
11-20-2010, 01:29 PM

I agree, that's damn good company.

TonyR
11-20-2010, 01:35 PM
I agree...

You agree? Did you miss the previous post? CU is a fine school but it's not remotely a top 10 public university.

Swedish Extrovert
11-20-2010, 02:03 PM
That's what we need, a guy who apprenticed under Childress. Hilarious!

I might be in the minority, but I have a lot of respect for Childress and what he did in Minnesota.

I think Bieniemy would be a good choice... or hearing something about McCartney coming back for two years with Bieniemy as OC in a sort of mentorship type thing, that would work too.

You agree? Did you miss the previous post? CU is a fine school but it's not remotely a top 10 public university.

Depends on who you ask and what you are studying. CU is a top 5 public school for certain majors in the natural sciences.

eddie mac
11-20-2010, 03:23 PM
Buffs 2-0 since Super**** was fired. Coincidence or what???

Steve Sewell
11-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Just because the Pac 10 wants CU does not by default make it an "elite" university, no more than Washington State or Oregon State or Arizona State... Pac 10 is a well rounded conference in that it has some elite academic schools mixed in with some very nice state institutions.

From a research perspective, CU is an elite university. The Pac-10 institutions are thrilled about CU being in-conference from that perspective.

Tombstone RJ
11-20-2010, 04:46 PM

As another poster pointed out, CU is a great research institution. It's athletic department sucks but it's a solid school. My main problem with CU is that I think its more linked to CA than to CO.

jsco70
11-20-2010, 04:57 PM
It's not "inside" info anymore:

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/3350/bienemy.jpg

I loved EB as a player. His toughness and determination on the football field was unquestionable. However, I don't really recall him "coveting" the CU head coach position or having an "intense" love for the school. At least not in the same way, say, Alfred Williams does.

What I do remember is him getting into trouble more than once while he was a player. He also rubbed some players the wrong way when he was coaching under Barnett. In addition, many state what a great recruiter he is/was, but all I remember is Maurice Jones-Drew and how he basically followed EB when he left.

I'm sure he's matured since then or he wouldn't be coaching in the NFL. Regardless, I'm not really in favor of CU handing him the head coaching position at this point. I think he needs more experience in a leadership role that goes beyond RB coach. I'd love to see him on the staff as coordinator but that's it. This hire is so huge and I don't think Bohn is going to reach on an unproven coach.

bombay
11-20-2010, 06:46 PM
Buffs 2-0 since Super**** was fired. Coincidence or what???

Not. That guy was pure poison. Had he been let go one week earlier the Buffs would already be bowl eligible.

spdirty
11-20-2010, 11:03 PM
If we beat Nebraska Friday, Cabral will have made a great case for the job.

spdirty
11-20-2010, 11:05 PM
Paige: CU must carefully select new architect of football program

By Woody Paige
The Denver Post (wpaige@denverpost.com?subject=The%20Denver%20Post :%20Paige:%20CU%20must%20carefully%20select%20new% 20architect%20of%20football%20program)
Posted: 11/20/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

Colorado's selection of a new football coach could be the school's most critical hire since 1917 when architect Charles Z. Klauder was chosen to design a unique master plan for the Boulder campus.

CU must seek a similar visionary who will develop a successful and unique plan for the future of Buffaloes football.

As the university's football program has gone from the "scorched earth" Dan Hawkins claimed he inherited to a colossal, meteor-sized crater he left beneath the Flatirons, it confronts a new era, new financial difficulties, another new reconstruction and rejuvenation and a new conference.

The Buffs need a winner.

They can't join the Pac-12 on a hope and a dare and a weak coach.

Athletic director Mike Bohn understands fully his long-term employment depends on the pick, and Colorado president Bruce Benson and Boulder chancellor Phil DiStefano know how important the first football coach chosen during their charge is to CU, fundraising and their reputations.

So those three and the selection (advisory) committee — composed of the faculty's athletic representative, the school's CFO, an interim vice chancellor, a professor and three prominent boosters who are CEOs of major companies — can't afford (figuratively and literally) another Hawkins Blunder.

At least 20 candidates have been considered, discussed and investigated; several have been contacted directly or indirectly; a few already have been invited for interviews, and the number has been shortened to A, B and C lists.

Although Bohn, who will make the final pronouncement, said this week he will not comment again on any contenders, it is known he has received hundreds of calls from candidates' supporters and lobbyists (including NFL coaches) and personal pleas for the position from prominent college coaches.

Despite what many believe, this is a highly sought job, and it could pay more than most believe.

The speculated or confirmed candidates' list includes former head college coaches (Bill McCartney and Mike Bellotti), ex-NFL coaches (Mike Nolan and Jon Gruden), current college head coaches (Air Force's Troy Calhoun, Houston's Kevin Sumlin, San Diego State's Brady Hoke and Georgia's Mark Richt), college assistants (Auburn's Gus Malzahn, Alabama's Jim McElwain, Oklahoma's Brent Venables, Nebraska's Shawn Watson and Florida State's Mark Stoops), NFL assistants (Eric Bieniemy and Jeremy Bates), high school coach/Broncos broadcaster Dave Logan and interim CU coach Brian Cabral.

Mike Leach, Mike Price and Mark Mangino also have been mentioned, but CU has ruled them out because of past controversies.

And, almost a month ago in a column recommending that Hawkins resign, I first brought up one more name.

"Les Miles of LSU probably could be lured to CU. Miles and LSU have just about had enough of each other, and the coach of the 2007 BCS champions has said to friends that his favorite place to live and coach was Boulder, where he served as offensive line coach under McCartney from 1982-86. Would the 'Mad Hatter,' so-named because of his dicey play-calling and odd nature, be the first choice as Les 'Miles High'?"

I stand by that statement, which has been widely circulated, and commented on, in Louisiana and throughout the SEC. Despite a 9-1 record this season at LSU, so many people in that state want Miles fired. He receives about $3.8 million per year, but his only exit buyout is if he goes to Michigan.

DiStefano is on record saying he favors "a coach who is either successful now as a head coach or has recent coaching experience either with someone from the Pac-12 or the Big 12, somebody in a conference similar to, if not equal to, the conference that we're joining."

Several head or assistant coaches would fit the criteria. Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress said Friday he had been contacted by the search committee about Bieniemy, his running backs coach. Bieniemy played and coached at CU and also has been a UCLA assistant.

Bellotti — former Oregon coach, then athletic director — and McCartney, who guided the Buffs to their only national championship, say they have been approached by CU to gauge their interest.

The coordinators at Auburn, Alabama and Oklahoma probably would qualify but haven't been head coaches. Nebraska's Watson was a head coach and served as an assistant at CU but insists he's not a candidate. Houston's Sumlin was the offensive coordinator at Oklahoma, but one mark against him is he took an assistant's job with CU in January 2003 but resigned a month later.

Is Calhoun in a conference "equal to"? The Mountain West's TCU is ranked third in the BCS poll.

Bellotti and McCartney (who both have many backers and as many detractors), Bieniemy and Sumlin (African- Americans), Logan (who has never served on a college staff but played at CU and in the NFL and has won five state high school titles, three at Mullen) and Cabral (who played at CU and in the NFL and has been on staff in Boulder since 1989) likely will get interviews.

One member of the search committee, George Solich, began efforts months ago to entice 50 superboosters to contribute $1 million each to the football program. The dormant idea will be revived with the firing of Hawkins and the switch to the Pac-12. A $50 million influx will greatly aid CU in wading out of debt caused by the moves.

The process should be rather speedy, given the research already done, the narrowing of the candidates, the interview process and the NCAA regulations which allow coaches' visits to recruits' homes starting on Dec. 1.

The coach ultimately selected has to be as triumphant on his field as Charles Klauder was in his field. Klauder was a great hire. His "Tuscan vernacular" created an everlasting legacy.

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_16663867

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-21-2010, 05:43 AM
If we beat Nebraska Friday, Cabral will have made a great case for the job.

If we beat Nebraska, Cabral should be the coach. Period.

Guy is a leader of men. They play for him, and I've liked his gameplans the last two weeks. He's impressed me a great deal.

dsmoot
11-21-2010, 06:36 AM

I don't have a good feeling about your knowledge of CU football since all I read is YOUR opinion. Far before I attended the University following a degree from Golden, It was very obvious that CU football had a very solid past with Eddie Crowder and the teams of the sixties and early 70's before the program fell into disarray with the Fairbanks era. They have had a very loyal and football savvy alumni group. Maybe even a little too involved at times. So your comments about a screen and screen door tells more about you than the people you are making a terrible generalization about.

I am from Longmont, so I am very much aware of the area and the people who live there over the last 45 years. Your comments tends to reflect more about the nationwide impression of the community and people of Boulder.

As for the feelings about the football program as viewed from certain school presidents and professors, did you just wake up and find this out??? This situation occurs at almost every university across this country where many college eggheads have no interest or emotional ties to the university athletics. This attitude is becoming even more evident with the financial pressures to keep budgets down, the need to elevate the academic standards, the lack of sufficient pay raises for teaching staff with the high pay these coaches receive relative to other staff within the university.

As a University, CU over the past ten years has significantly raised its academic entry standards with the intention to raise its prestige relative to other colleges and attract more research dollars, funding and a better student cross section. This situation alone has had an impact on attracting the best football players. My academic experience is within the engineering program. I agree with the comments on physics and chemical engineering programs. However, across the board, the engineering program as a whole is very, very good and actually underrated. On a visit to the university when my son was seeking a college, I was very impressed that the engineering programs have not stood still but added significant facilities to improve the education.

Even though I am a CU football fan, the University is trying to obtain a balance between an identity of "Are we trying to be an elite University of higher academic standards, providing an education in the top 25 or Are we trying to field athletic programs that compete at the highest levels". In this current day of competing interests for limited funding, what really makes a difference in the long term? Education, period. So you can continue to laugh at the lack of an indoor practice facility.

By the way, I have been to a number of CU football games. Your opinion of the fan base is ignorant. Were you sitting in the drunk area of the student section?

Swedish Extrovert
11-21-2010, 06:55 AM
I don't have a good feeling about your knowledge of CU football since all I read is YOUR opinion. Far before I attended the University following a degree from Golden, It was very obvious that CU football had a very solid past with Eddie Crowder and the teams of the sixties and early 70's before the program fell into disarray with the Fairbanks era. They have had a very loyal and football savvy alumni group. Maybe even a little too involved at times. So your comments about a screen and screen door tells more about you than the people you are making a terrible generalization about.

I am from Longmont, so I am very much aware of the area and the people who live there over the last 45 years. Your comments tends to reflect more about the nationwide impression of the community and people of Boulder.

As for the feelings about the football program as viewed from certain school presidents and professors, did you just wake up and find this out??? This situation occurs at almost every university across this country where many college eggheads have no interest or emotional ties to the university athletics. This attitude is becoming even more evident with the financial pressures to keep budgets down, the need to elevate the academic standards, the lack of sufficient pay raises for teaching staff with the high pay these coaches receive relative to other staff within the university.

As a University, CU over the past ten years has significantly raised its academic entry standards with the intention to raise its prestige relative to other colleges and attract more research dollars, funding and a better student cross section. This situation alone has had an impact on attracting the best football players. My academic experience is within the engineering program. I agree with the comments on physics and chemical engineering programs. However, across the board, the engineering program as a whole is very, very good and actually underrated. On a visit to the university when my son was seeking a college, I was very impressed that the engineering programs have not stood still but added significant facilities to improve the education.

Even though I am a CU football fan, the University is trying to obtain a balance between an identity of "Are we trying to be an elite University of higher academic standards, providing an education in the top 25 or Are we trying to field athletic programs that compete at the highest levels". In this current day of competing interests for limited funding, what really makes a difference in the long term? Education, period. So you can continue to laugh at the lack of an indoor practice facility.

By the way, I have been to a number of CU football games. Your opinion of the fan base is ignorant. Were you sitting in the drunk area of the student section?

1. Does football lose or attract more money?
2. Is the school trying to plan for now or the future... football can bring in a lot of money in the future. Some elite schools have great football programs, ie Stanford, Notre Dame, Boston College... public schools, too, like Michigan, UCLA, etc.
3. I would like to see both. My sister went to CU, as did both my parents and my grandfather, and in all probability it will be where I go to Law School as well.

Swedish Extrovert
11-21-2010, 07:25 AM
Also, does it matter if we bring in a few academically-challenged recruits in a school of 26,000 people?

Since they're in the spotlight, I would say so... but on paper it doesn't seem to bad.

manchambo
11-21-2010, 07:55 AM
It makes me pretty frustrated to think that, if they had fired him two games earlier, this could easily be a winning season. Hell, a win in Kansas would have been virtually assured with anyone else coaching.

Swedish Extrovert
11-21-2010, 12:58 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16663867?source=pop

The speculated or confirmed candidates' list includes former head college coaches (Bill McCartney and Mike Bellotti), ex-NFL coaches (Mike Nolan and Jon Gruden), current college head coaches (Air Force's Troy Calhoun, Houston's Kevin Sumlin, San Diego State's Brady Hoke and Georgia's Mark Richt), college assistants (Auburn's Gus Malzahn, Alabama's Jim McElwain, Oklahoma's Brent Venables, Nebraska's Shawn Watson and Florida State's Mark Stoops), NFL assistants (Eric Bieniemy and Jeremy Bates), high school coach/Broncos broadcaster Dave Logan and interim CU coach Brian Cabral.

Read more: Paige: CU must carefully select new architect of football program - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16663867?source=pop#ixzz15x8OFJn2

bpc
11-21-2010, 01:11 PM
I think Mac, EB, and Cabral have to be the front runners. If you can coop all of them plus Embree, EVEN BETTER.

CU is a dynamic place that has some challenges. I think the best way to become successful on the field is to employ somebody who knows the history and tradition of the program, and knows how to deal w/ those issues... that includes recruiting good football players from Socal into the hippie hills of Boulder.

It can be done. All one needs to do is see what Cabral is doing. Thank god we got rid of Hawkins.

Swedish Extrovert
11-21-2010, 01:19 PM
Well Bellotti just said about 30 min ago that he wont take the job, so he's out of the running.

Judging by the article I just posted, it seems like that frontrunner right now might actually be Les Miles.

bpc
11-21-2010, 01:25 PM
Well Bellotti just said about 30 min ago that he wont take the job, so he's out of the running.

Judging by the article I just posted, it seems like that frontrunner right now might actually be Les Miles.

Les Miles is a pipe-dream.

Belotti would never have led this place to where it could be, in the chase for a BCS championship. He compared it to Oregon years back... uh, Mike, CU has a national championship AND a Heisman trophy winner. Their tradition FAR out-weighs Oregon, i don't care what they're currently doing. He's been spoiled by Nike money so now that's his expectation. Sadly, Mike, w/ all that Nike money you still never got the job done and that's why Phil Knight wanted you ran off in favor of Chip Kelly. CU lost nothing by Belotti *pulling his name* out of the hat.

dsmoot
11-21-2010, 02:27 PM
1. Does football lose or attract more money?
2. Is the school trying to plan for now or the future... football can bring in a lot of money in the future. Some elite schools have great football programs, ie Stanford, Notre Dame, Boston College... public schools, too, like Michigan, UCLA, etc.
3. I would like to see both. My sister went to CU, as did both my parents and my grandfather, and in all probability it will be where I go to Law School as well.

1. I don't know if the CU program is on the net income plus side. I assume so but by how much. To some degree that doesn't necessarily matter. Revenue earned isn't going to go directly into the football coffers. Usually, football revenue at most schools pay for the remaining athletic programs, both men and women. Unless things have changed significantly, the basketball programs are net losers as are all the other athletic programs which are not team sports. In terms of capital improvements, like an indoor practice facility, this again is usually a completely different school budget due to the amount of dollars needed to make such improvements. All school departments compete for those dollars.

2. Most elite schools have their moments in the sun with athletic success but they are usually up and down, like Stanford, Cal, Boston College, UCLA, Purdue etc. if they have any real commitment to national championship caliber teams. I don't know specifically about the economics of the Michigan program but it can't hurt filling a 100K+ stadium for every home game.

3. Certainly, most of us would like to see both. If you have read the papers about why Hawkins wasn't let go a year ago and why the limitations on a new coaches salary is being held to $2M, the University leaders are quite sensitive to spending increases when tuition costs are accelerating at the pace they have the last 5 years. They are not ignorant of the attraction of a high profile sports team but this is a political/economic tight rope they are walking.

All in All, CU is a great university. I would encourage anyone to attend who is serious about a great education. Like it or not, economic conditions in this country have changed. I would not want to sacrifice the education at the expense of new grand facilities or costly high profile coaches. This comes from a football nut. I really believe that many major universities are facing this dilemma right now.

dsmoot
11-21-2010, 02:37 PM
Also, does it matter if we bring in a few academically-challenged recruits in a school of 26,000 people?

Since they're in the spotlight, I would say so... but on paper it doesn't seem to bad.

Whatever you do, it must be applied across the board, athletics or not. An opposing point of view might question what our motive is, the best interests of the young man or the football program. They might also argue that there are junior colleges that are quite effective in preparing the academically challenged for the rigors of a higher institution. The days of Spencer Haywood cleaning out the seaweed in Folsum Field are over (if I remember the story correctly).

BroncoBuff
11-23-2010, 12:19 AM
Just because the Pac 10 wants CU does not by default make it an "elite" university.
"Default" played no part in my reasoning and justification there, chief.....

I'm sure Utah has nothing to do with the Mountains, right? It's all CU, all the time!! :wiggle:
What is the matter with you? I said Utah!

Tombstone, you've misquoted me like 5 times in this thread, please ....!

BroncoBuff
11-23-2010, 12:26 AM
Colorado is historically a top 25 program. When the herd of bimbos (Keenan, Hoffman) attempted to kill the football program, they damaged it very deeply. Colorado still has more North Division titles in this decade (4) than any other North school. Also an overall conference title. Hawkins' five years have been so damn dismal that typical short attention span americans think it's always been this way.

It hasn't.

Far from it.

Excellent, sanity finally.

CU was #8 in the nation in wins during the 90s ...

Won 4 of 6 Big XII North titles in the 00's (before Hawkins) ....

In the last 20 years we've played 3 times on New Year's Day with a chance at the National Championship ... twice directly, once tangentially.

That is unquestionably borderline elite ... BORDERLINE. Not a top 10 program, but (until Hawkins) a Top 25 program.