PDA

View Full Version : Latest SI on McD

Bronc62
11-17-2010, 05:09 PM
http://thebiglead.fantasysportsven.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/todd-haley-josh-mcdaniels.jpg
November 22, 2010
Better Watch Out
Denver's Josh McDaniels isn't the only coach on the hot seat; his seat just happens to be the hottest
JIM TROTTER

In their 2009 season finale, the Chiefs led the Broncos by 20 with 2:43 remaining in the game. Running back Jamaal Charles had gashed Denver for 259 yards and needed only 38 more to break the league's single-game rushing record. Rather than have Charles make a run at history, Kansas City coach Todd Haley kept his back on the sideline. No need to rub it in, he thought.

On Sunday the teams met at Denver's Invesco Field for the first time since that '09 meeting. With less than seven minutes to play, the Broncos led by 26 and were in complete control. Rather than pull his offensive starters, however, Denver coach Josh McDaniels left them in and continued to take shots down the field.

The fireworks didn't end with the Broncos' 49--29 victory. Instead of participating in the customary postgame handshake, Haley pointed his right index finger at McDaniels and appeared to scold him. He believed McDaniels had not shown the same respect that had been extended to the Broncos the previous season.

The truth is, McDaniels had bigger concerns than Haley's feelings. His Broncos (now 3--6) had lost four in a row, and with each defeat the heat intensified beneath his seat. Whether McDaniels, now in his second season, makes it to Year 3 depends upon how the team finishes the season; whether owner Pat Bowlen would take on more salary with an uncertain labor situation looming; and whether Bowlen would be willing to simultaneously pay three coaches. He reportedly is on the hook for $7 million to Mike Shanahan—who was fired after 2008—in '11 and would still owe McDaniels roughly $6 million.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1177579/index.htm#ixzz15acyXBpX

theAPAOps5
11-17-2010, 05:12 PM
Thanks SI for regurgitating the same information from the past two weeks. You guys are doing a great job of regurgitating crap.

HAT
11-17-2010, 05:15 PM
On Sunday the teams met at Denver's Invesco Field for the first time since that '09 meeting. With less than seven minutes to play, the Broncos led by 26 and were in complete control. Rather than pull his offensive starters, however, Denver coach Josh McDaniels left them in and continued to take shots down the field.

Uh no......

Denver - 6:52
1st-10, KC42 6:52 K. Moreno rushed to the right for 2 yard gain
2nd-8, KC40 6:12 K. Moreno rushed up the middle for 4 yard gain
3rd-4, KC36 5:31 K. Orton incomplete pass to the right
4th-4, KC36 5:16 B. Colquitt punt, touchback

Denver - 3:30
1st-10, KC38 3:30 K. Moreno rushed up the middle for 4 yard gain
2nd-6, KC34 2:48 K. Moreno rushed to the right for 1 yard gain
3rd-5, KC33 2:06 K. Moreno rushed to the right for 1 yard gain
4th-4, KC32 1:55 K. Orton passed to C. Buckhalter to the right for 2 yard gain

Denver - 0:10
1st-10, DEN40 0:10 K. Orton rushed up the middle for 1 yard loss

RunSilentRunDeep
11-17-2010, 05:16 PM
Desperate journalism. Charles was offered the chance to break the record, he declined. Also, Trotter has no inside info whatsoever, he's just stirring the pot in hopes of cheap page views.

DenverBrit
11-17-2010, 05:17 PM
No one has mentioned taking Cassel out of the game.

He could barely hobble across the field yet was left in the game that was apparently a lost cause for KC.

Denver keeping its starters in the game made more sense; it was the first time all year that the O line and running game were in rhythm, they needed the snaps.

Cassel needed to sit down.

SI is still a rag!

Popps
11-17-2010, 05:19 PM
Why would McD run up the score on the chefs?

for teh lulz

http://gumshoegrove.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/mcdaniels-josh.jpg

DenverBrit
11-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Uh no......

Denver - 6:52
1st-10, KC42 6:52 K. Moreno rushed to the right for 2 yard gain
2nd-8, KC40 6:12 K. Moreno rushed up the middle for 4 yard gain
3rd-4, KC36 5:31 K. Orton incomplete pass to the right
4th-4, KC36 5:16 B. Colquitt punt, touchback

Denver - 3:30
1st-10, KC38 3:30 K. Moreno rushed up the middle for 4 yard gain
2nd-6, KC34 2:48 K. Moreno rushed to the right for 1 yard gain
3rd-5, KC33 2:06 K. Moreno rushed to the right for 1 yard gain
4th-4, KC32 1:55 K. Orton passed to C. Buckhalter to the right for 2 yard gain

Denver - 0:10
1st-10, DEN40 0:10 K. Orton rushed up the middle for 1 yard loss

Don't confuse SI with football facts. Nicely done. :thumbsup:

Dedhed
11-17-2010, 05:29 PM
Does SI still exist?

BroncoMatt
11-17-2010, 05:33 PM
I have no problem leaving our starters in. I figure if Josh left them in during a brutal ass whipping, why not leave them in to enjoy a big win

Hercules Rockefeller
11-17-2010, 05:36 PM
Haley didn't pull Charles last year, Charles was the one who asked to come out. He actually said he wanted to come out because he didn't think it would be right to break the rushing record in a game that was a blowout. If your central premise is that Haley called off the dogs last year, at least be factually accurate.

rugbythug
11-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Haley didn't pull Charles last year, Charles was the one who asked to come out. He actually said he wanted to come out because he didn't think it would be right to break the rushing record in a game that was a blowout. If your central premise is that Haley called off the dogs last year, at least be factually accurate.

Exactly- Haley asked Charles if he wanted to run it up on the broncos and Charles declined. Yet Haley is some big hero.

ColoradoDarin
11-17-2010, 06:32 PM
SI: as wrong as Peter King, or something.

vancejohnson82
11-17-2010, 06:34 PM
really insightful stuff here SI

baja
11-17-2010, 06:54 PM
No one has mentioned taking Cassel out of the game.

He could barely hobble across the field yet was left in the game that was apparently a lost cause for KC.

Denver keeping its starters in the game made more sense; it was the first time all year that the O line and running game were in rhythm, they needed the snaps.

Cassel needed to sit down.

SI is still a rag!

Excellent point about Cassell and another about our O line needing the reps. Josh addressed this in his presser that the offense was in rhythm for the first time all season and the guys wanted to stay in and enjoy it and get the reps and josh agreed. Screw Tody poo.

The MVPlaya
11-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Jim Trotter is a bitch.

Jetmeck
11-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Break it off in his backside in Arrowhead !!!!

Jesterhole
11-18-2010, 05:12 AM
I know I have a really awesome job, that is easy a lot, but I really should have been a sports journalist. Just read other stories for a few days, reword some facts along with some meaningless speculation, and viola! A story unfolds...

CEH
11-18-2010, 05:37 AM
Jim Trotter and Josina are twitter buddies and maybe more
Nuff said

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-18-2010, 06:05 AM
What do you expect from a publication where Peter King is the lead columnist, and spends half his weekly football column talking about... baseball?

ColoradoDarin
11-18-2010, 07:02 AM
what do you expect from a publication where peter king is the lead columnist, and spends half his weekly football column talking about... coffee?

fify...

Mile High Shack
11-18-2010, 07:22 AM
I think I use to read sports illustrated in the 90's

DeuceOfClub
11-18-2010, 08:16 AM
November 22, 2010

:approve:

Garcia Bronco
11-18-2010, 08:22 AM
I can't believe people still read that junk.

Rabb
11-18-2010, 08:41 AM
:approve:

I saw that also lol...I think it's just poorly formatted and it looks like the date of the article, but it's the date of the game

colonelbeef
11-18-2010, 09:30 AM
Does SI still exist?

I never understand this approach; Shooting the messenger is the weakest way out, rather than dealing with the facts reported.

Sports Illustrated is a reputable source for information, and they are simply stating the facts surrounding Josh McDaniels. Deal with it.

DenverBrit
11-18-2010, 09:35 AM
I never understand this approach; Shooting the messenger is the weakest way out, rather than dealing with the facts reported.

Sports Illustrated is a reputable source for information, and they are simply stating the facts surrounding Josh McDaniels. Deal with it.

LOL

Try reading again. Start with post#3.

SI hasn't been relevant in years.

colonelbeef
11-18-2010, 09:40 AM
LOL

Try reading again. Start with post#3.

SI hasn't been relevant in years.

I wasnt referring to the Haley handshake stupidity, in fact I applaud McDaniels for going for the throat in any and all situations. I made a poast after the game stating as much in support of McDaniels- this is pro football- if you want somebody to stop scoring on you, you should stop it yourself.

The fact that I am agreeing with here is the implicit observation that McDaniels in on the hot seat in Denver.

HAT
11-18-2010, 09:43 AM

Except the statements are not fact at all.

Denver threw the ball twice over the span of the three drives that started in the 4th quarter.....And never before 3rd down. Fact.

Dedhed
11-18-2010, 09:46 AM

First of all, how is calling SI an all but defunct operation shooting the messenger? Shooting the messenger would be attacking the person who started the thread, something I didn't do at all.

Second of all, they didn't report any facts. They 'reported' stale conjecture about McDaniels being on the hot seat. Which he isn't according to all Denver area sources.

And their "facts" were in fact incorrect, as pointed out by HAT in post #3. If that leads you to call them a reputable source of information, fine, just don't expect to be taken seriously.

HAT
11-18-2010, 09:52 AM
The fact that I am agreeing with here is the implicit observation that McDaniels in on the hot seat in Denver.

Fair enough....But since when did opinion become fact?

???

ZONA
11-18-2010, 01:33 PM
7 minutes left to play in the 4th is still alot of time. The Broncos had the lead and were just wasting clock with the run game on the last 2 drives except for one 2 yard pass. Who cares if it was the starters running it or backups. It was vanilla run play calling regardless.

Good grief.