PDA

View Full Version : Broncos scripted first 18 plays against Chiefs

BigPlayShay
11-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Interesting. I love that Josh is allowing himself to adapt and change the way he approaches playcalling:

MaxBroncos:
Broncos scripted first 18 plays Sunday, McD said. Helped the #Broncos v. KC. But as we saw for 'Skins Mon., scripting isn't be-all, end-all.

PostBroncos:
Lots of talk today from Josh and Kyle about the Broncos scripting plays last week vs. Chiefs. Unusual for McD as a playcaller.

Br0nc0Buster
11-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Josh took a page from Shanny looks like

now if he starts tanning and bleaching his teeth Ill be worried

supermanhr9
11-17-2010, 11:22 AM
I think this was the result of the Bye week. He knew what plays they were running consistently well over those 2 weeks, slapped them down on paper and in translated to the game. Can be a great tactic as long as the offense shows consistency in their practice efforts.

whoa, what just happened, I think I blacked out.

Rabb
11-17-2010, 11:32 AM
It's the best start we have had since he started coaching here, I like it

lostknight
11-17-2010, 11:39 AM
It should be noted that the Eagles scripted too - including that first play ;-)

Josh has scripted plays before according to a recent interview - but the creativity and effectiveness of this play calling was awesome. I've been ragging Josh as OC, but he did a spectacular job on Sunday.

Popps
11-17-2010, 11:40 AM
It's the best start we have had since he started coaching here, I like it

I wonder where that ranked as far as our all-time starts to a game? Must have been historic in some fashion.

CEH
11-17-2010, 11:47 AM
I wonder where that ranked as far as our all-time starts to a game? Must have been historic in some fashion.

Denver/Dallas Sept 13th 1998 I think Denver scored 5 straight times on offense to open that game

Over 300 yards passing, 200 yards rushing.

42 - 23 Denver.

Dedhed
11-17-2010, 12:30 PM
It was historic for KC at least. They flashed a stat that it was the largest first quarter (could have been 1st half) deficit in franchise history.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-17-2010, 01:12 PM
Denver/Dallas Sept 13th 1998 I think Denver scored 5 straight times on offense to open that game

42 - 23 Denver.

They did, and those were the only 5 possessions of the half too.

TD became the 1st player to have 50+ yd TD runs on consecutive carries.

IIRC that was supposed to be the game of the weekend (Gumbel/Simms were the announcers), and a test to see where the Cowboys were at (6-10 previous season), and the Broncos went right through them.

Dedhed
11-17-2010, 01:53 PM
I can't understand how the scripted thing works after the first play. Do you totally disregard down and distance and call what's on the script, or do you sprinkle improv plays in amongst the scripted ones?

Do you just script first down plays?

What if it's 3rd and 20 after 2 plays and play #3 is scripted to be a draw?

Hercules Rockefeller
11-17-2010, 02:13 PM
The script involves different plays that take into account down and distance.

Archer81
11-17-2010, 02:13 PM
I can't understand how the scripted thing works after the first play. Do you totally disregard down and distance and call what's on the script, or do you sprinkle improv plays in amongst the scripted ones?

I think they pick 15-18 plays that they will do regardless, but adjust them according to down and distance.

:Broncos:

tsiguy96
11-17-2010, 02:16 PM

good question. would make sense if they had a play designed for each down and distance to start the game. aka 1st down 2nd down scripted and 3rd down would be either a or b depending on distance

bronco_diesel
11-17-2010, 03:27 PM

42 - 23 Denver.

I was at that game. I will never forget it! The Broncos completely dominated the Cowboys.

Dedhed
11-17-2010, 03:38 PM
I would love to see the inner workings of an NFL team. Maybe I should look into coaching football.

extralife
11-17-2010, 03:45 PM
I like it. It always worked for Mike.

CEH
11-17-2010, 04:57 PM

Josh said 3rd down is not a scripted down nor is red zone

On MNF Gruden was privy to Andy Reid's 1st 15 plays and called the shot several times in the 1st 15 including the 1st play and teh double reverse

Archer81
11-17-2010, 05:00 PM
I like it. It always worked for Mike.

Not always.

:Broncos:

extralife
11-17-2010, 05:44 PM
Well duh.

What I'm saying is it worked very often, and it was very easy to tell that it worked. We were the best first quarter offense in the NFL under Mike. This team is terrible in the first quarter. If there's one thing we know Josh can do, it's offensive X's and O's--so play to his strength.

WolfpackGuy
11-17-2010, 05:48 PM
It's the BEST the offense has looked since the new staff took over.

Keep doing it.

gyldenlove
11-17-2010, 06:02 PM
It was a very nice mix of the super gutsy and the very simple, the double pass with Gaffney, the Royal end around, FB handoff and some stretch running.

The offensive line was also much better than at any other point during the season.

gunns
11-17-2010, 06:25 PM
I sat there with the same dumb look on my face as when Oakland demolished us. Where did that team come from? All kinds of kudos to Josh and the team for coaching and playing a well scripted game. I don't care how it was done, it was done well, keep doing it. I don't know that I've enjoyed a game by the Broncos that much since they beat NE in the playoffs. Ok, well maybe that sack fest on Rivers last year.

16slayer24
11-17-2010, 10:08 PM
best start ever elway too nattiel TD pass first play of the superbowl not soo goo second quarter though

The Joker
11-17-2010, 10:41 PM
I always assumed the first 15/18 plays thing followed some sort of flow chart that took into account the various likely different results of the plays and the next play was altered based on that.

For example, something like:

Play 1 - Play action pass, aim to get the ball 15-25 yards downfield.

If the pass is complete and your next play is a 1st and 10.

Play 2 - Run left

If pass is incomplete and you're faced with 2nd and 10

Play 2 - Bubble screen, try to at least pick up a few yards and make 3rd down manageable, hope your WR can do something extra and get a 1st down.

You get the general idea. Would love to hear from someone who actually knows how these things work though, as I really don't know.

Crushaholic
11-17-2010, 10:43 PM
It took the Chiefs COMPLETELY out of their gameplan. Instead of Jamal Charles, Matt Cassell had to beat the Broncos. He clearly wasn't up to the challenge...

El Guapo
11-18-2010, 04:33 AM
I was at that game. I will never forget it! The Broncos completely dominated the Cowboys.

I was there as well! My dad and I fly in to catch Denver v Dallas games as he is a huge Dallas fan. I was in high school for this game and turning and rubbing in those huge td runs to my dad was GREAT! Man I miss td...

baja
11-18-2010, 05:41 AM

The scripted plays are for 1st & 2nd down only and when in the red zone they are shelved too.

RhymesayersDU
11-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Great stuff.

theAPAOps5
11-19-2013, 09:09 PM
HA these bumps are messing with my head.

Sly_Eli
11-19-2013, 09:16 PM
well, that was confusing

CHEF LUIGI
11-20-2013, 07:04 AM
scr4ipted plays first 20 are a frisco concept, thats wher shanny learned it so stop giving him credit like he invented the concept !
second, the premise in scripting the plays is that players knew exactly what was coming and had a rhythem to their effort. in todays NFL a script would help with a hurry upp offense !
the inventor and MASTOR of the 20 play script felt that every play if run correctly should generate at least a first down if not a TD and if the play and formation had little to do with down and distance it would further confuse the DEFENSE.

BILL WALSH he is the inventor of the 20 play script concept, not shanny.
I now return you to your own restricted sense of reality.
oh and FWIW, shanny usually played golf on monday while KUBIAK developed the gameplan and the 20 play script for the next weeks opponent.

NYBroncoManiac
11-20-2013, 07:36 AM
... in todays NFL a script would help with a hurry upp offense !

I'm not sure how that would work with PFM. He sort of calls the plays at the line of scrimmage after seeing how the defense is going to attack the formation.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-20-2013, 08:11 AM
Ooooh, wayback machine.

CHEF LUIGI
11-20-2013, 08:27 AM
I'm not sure how that would work with PFM. He sort of calls the plays at the line of scrimmage after seeing how the defense is going to attack the formation.
manning is superior to a script, he is the master of "improv' if you will. he reads the defensive formations and personnel, manipulates their pre-snap movement and then orchestrates a play to take advantage of the exact situation ! a script is something that chip kelly would impliment to maximixe his QBs and his offense.
if you have jim carrey and robin williams, you dont give them a script, you just give them a stage.
so it is with our beloved PFM.

RedskinBronco
11-20-2013, 08:47 AM
So...another excuse for chef fans?

"Hey! The broncos cheated by scripting plays!!"

CHEF LUIGI
11-20-2013, 08:51 AM
hello, this is an old thread our broncos did NOT script plays to be run in sequence against the cheifs.

Beantown Bronco
11-20-2013, 08:58 AM
I usually don't care about such things, but seriously, WTF was the point in bumping this one?

Kaylore
11-20-2013, 09:20 AM
On most forums, thread necro'ing can be a bannable offense. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

broncocalijohn
11-20-2013, 09:25 AM
neg reps for RhymesayersDU!! Mob attack. Hurt him where it matters.

oubronco
11-20-2013, 10:21 AM
I Hate McDaniels

CHEF LUIGI
11-20-2013, 11:48 AM
I Hate McDanielsnot as much as I do, but you are welcome to join the party !
I wouild like to see a play spill out of bounds, JMCD get caught up in the action and the cameras focused on his compound fracture and him whything in pain !

broncosteven
11-20-2013, 12:07 PM
not as much as I do, but you are welcome to join the party !
I wouild like to see a play spill out of bounds, JMCD get caught up in the action and the cameras focused on his compound fracture and him whything in pain !

I hate mCd even more than both of you.

If you stretched out my disdain for the man it would extend to the Moon and back at least as many miles as NASA and the Apollo program flew, this includes Earth orbits. Hell why not throw in the miles Gemini and Mercury flew as well and I bet there would still be hate left in the tank.

broncocalijohn
11-20-2013, 12:34 PM
I hate mCd even more than both of you.

If you stretched out my disdain for the man it would extend to the Moon and back at least as many miles as NASA and the Apollo program flew, this includes Earth orbits. Hell why not throw in the miles Gemini and Mercury flew as well and I bet there would still be hate left in the tank.

Not only do you guys hate McDaniels as much as I do but I hate you guys even more. While all 3 of you are fighting of his corpse on who will kick him one more time, I will be the ultimate decision maker and blow all 4 of you to Kingdom Come.

Next....

bronco militia
11-20-2013, 12:41 PM
http://broncotalk.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/haley_mcdaniels.jpg

Raidersbane
11-20-2013, 01:29 PM
Not only do you guys hate McDaniels as much as I do but I hate you guys even more. While all 3 of you are fighting of his corpse on who will kick him one more time, I will be the ultimate decision maker and blow all 4 of you to Kingdom Come.

Next....

That sounds kinky.........

RhymesayersDU
11-20-2013, 06:45 PM
On most forums, thread necro'ing can be a bannable offense. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

Suck me, beautiful.

neg reps for RhymesayersDU!! Mob attack. Hurt him where it matters.

Ya got me!!!

broncosteven
11-20-2013, 07:55 PM

There is a reason neither of these douches are HC's.

I do wish Haley or Romeo were still coaching the Chef's though.

KCStud
11-20-2013, 08:27 PM
There is a reason neither of these douches are HC's.

I do wish Haley or Romeo were still coaching the Chef's though.

And we stil wish Josh was your HC. He was the bestest evah!

Guess Who
11-21-2013, 05:19 AM

yeah I bet you do.

Drunk Monkey
11-21-2013, 07:13 AM

Just like we both wish Al Davis was still walking the Raiders halls.

Lolad
11-21-2013, 07:18 AM

Can somebody provide a caption for this picture I forgot why Haley was upset

Rabb
11-21-2013, 07:21 AM
I think we ran the damn score up on them, but I might be wrong. And seeing McD again and his stupid ass pushed up hoodie sleeves makes me want to kick something.

WolfpackGuy
11-21-2013, 08:02 AM
I think we ran the damn score up on them, but I might be wrong. And seeing McD again and his stupid ass pushed up hoodie sleeves makes me want to kick something.

He was probably mad Tebow came in and threw a TD pass when the Broncos were up big.

crush17
11-21-2013, 08:04 AM
Haley was upset because A) We ran up the score
B) Rumors had begun swirling that McDaniels and his staff were video taping opponents walk throughs so Haley naturally figured that was how they got beaten so badly

Powderaddict
11-21-2013, 08:27 AM
I hate mcdaniels but Soreass Haley is pretty funny.

CHEF LUIGI
11-21-2013, 08:41 AM
Can somebody provide a caption for this picture I forgot why Haley was upsetJMCD- "please shake my hand, I promised I washedit after masturbating durng halftime"
HALEY- "no, instead you can pull my finger and i will fart in your general direction, you tiny brained wiper of belichiks bottom"

CHEF LUIGI
11-21-2013, 08:43 AM
http://broncotalk.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/haley_mcdaniels.jpgJMCD- "please shake my hand, I promise I washed it after masturbating durng halftime"
HALEY- "no, instead you can pull my finger and i will fart in your general direction, you tiny brained wiper of belichiks bottom"