Scouts Inc. Position Advantage

QB SD
RB SD
WR SD
OL SD
DL SD
LB SD
DB SD
ST DEN (Thanks for throwing Denver a bone)
Coach SD

After breaking down film of both teams, Scouts Inc. offers 10 things to watch in this week's Broncos-Chargers matchup.

1. Denver needs to score early: San Diego has an offense that wants to play with balance and a stronger run game, but the Chargers have been victimized by their opponents' quick leads. That forces QB Philip Rivers to throw on every down -- and as good as he has been, the Chargers' offense is easier to game plan against when it is one-dimensional.

2. Watch the Broncos' D: They favor the 3-4 base defense, but hadn't been healthy enough much of the year to play it; now they are. Denver's OLBs do a good job of working upfield and forcing the run game inside. They have gotten better with their gap discipline and they are strong in run support up the middle -- if they can eliminate those outside runs. San Diego is not an elite rushing team, but they are effective as they get close to the goal line.

3. Can Denver keep up their newly-found run game? Knowshon Moreno had a solid game last week (106 yards). Their offensive line is healthy. Ex-LB Spencer Larsen is now a FB and he is an excellent lead blocker and physical short-yardage/goal line situation guy.

4. The Broncos need to step it up in pass protection: Kyle Orton is getting hit more than his coaches would like. Defenses are utilizing a lot of stunts and twists without a lot of blitzing and that allows them to get pressure without getting into a lot of one-on-one passing matchups on the back end. What is alarming is that a lot of those pressures come out of the shotgun and three-WR packages, which should protect Orton from those hits.

5. Rivers could feast in this game: They may not all be big names, but the Chargers have great size at receiver and they can go after an aging Denver secondary that has struggled in recent weeks. WRs Malcom Floyd and Legedu Naanee, along with TE Antonio Gates, can physically outduel a Denver secondary who could be without starting corner Andre' Goodman (quadriceps). They are also vulnerable in the middle of the field to seam routes that could expose the safeties in coverage. Rivers throws a great deep pass, especially the high ball, which is a strength with tall receivers.

6. Did the Chargers approach the bye week with the right plan? Although Norv Turner did not give his players an unusually long vacation, he did give several of his veteran players time off from practice. The Chargers used a lot of their young players and backups in early practices that concentrated on specific problem areas in the first half of the season before they took only three days off and then turned their attention to Denver. As a result, they got a lot of specific work done, while getting some key players healthy.

7. The Chargers need to clean up special teams and turnovers: They are the worst team in the NFL on most special teams statistics, and are near the bottom of the league in turnover ratio. Many of their problems are fumbles. Their pass offense is dynamic enough to overcome those deficiencies much of the time with Rivers, but they must clean things up down the stretch if they expect to be a playoff team. San Diego has had to use a lot of new players because of injuries and that may be leading to these mistakes, but two weeks to straighten things out should help.

8. Can and will the Chargers run the football? Mike Tolbert has developed into a good short-yardage back and when Ryan Mathews and Darren Sproles are healthy, this is a good three-pronged run attack. Denver does not have a physical run defense and the Chargers could control this game in the trenches.

9. Every Charger must be ready to play: Through nine games, they have used 66 players, more than all of last year, and at a position of strength -- LB -- they have already played 14 guys! All of this turnover could a big reason that they have struggled on special teams, because a lot of those "new faces" are being thrown into these roles. To the veterans' credit, they do a great job of taking these players under their wing and helping the coaches get them up to speed. This bye came at exactly the right time to give everybody an extra few days to get better familiar with the playbook for the stretch run and a tough Denver opponent.

10. Matchup to Watch -- Denver ROT Ryan Harris vs. San Diego LOLB Shaun Phillips: Phillips is an outstanding edge pass rusher with seven sacks already and he wins with first step quickness and good hands, but he is not great at getting off blocks when you run right at him. All of his production has been without a complementary pass rusher on the other side. Harris is physical and a lock on guy who can beat you with power, but he can be beaten by speed rushers -- which describes Phillips.

Prediction
Denver 17
San Diego 31

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/scouting?gameId=301122024

HAT
11-17-2010, 11:05 AM
Pretty fair assessment but I don't get why they continually rate opponents WR corps higher.

I'm predicting 24-24 heading into OT

Rulon Velvet Jones
11-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Long-snapper: DEN

Popps
11-17-2010, 11:08 AM
Just depends which team comes out for us... as cliche as that sounds.

If the KC version comes out, we'll stomp them into the ground. Anything else, and it's a wild-card. All the intangibles go to SD, of course. But, we beat them in their house last year on Monday night. It can be done. We just have to play like last week wasn't a fluke, but how we SHOULD have been playing all along.

Drek
11-17-2010, 11:14 AM
I think the OL realignment is going to throw them for a loop. The game film they'd been preparing with was not this OL and now their coaches and players either need to recognize that and adjust quickly or they won't be prepared to win the trench battle on defense.

The entire KC game in fact sets SD up for some tough prep. How seriously do they take Haggan and Mays? Should they be truly concerned about Moreno? One really big game where we did great in our major problem areas makes it tough to know what's real and what isn't.

Jerry Curl
11-17-2010, 11:35 AM
I don't get why they continually rate opponents WR corps higher.

This.

Rabb
11-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Just depends which team comes out for us... as cliche as that sounds.

If the KC version comes out, we'll stomp them into the ground. Anything else, and it's a wild-card. All the intangibles go to SD, of course. But, we beat them in their house last year on Monday night. It can be done. We just have to play like last week wasn't a fluke, but how we SHOULD have been playing all along.

exactly

looking forward to it, last year Eddie gave them the Royal treatment (God damn I hate those commercials)

Man-Goblin
11-17-2010, 11:42 AM
PEDs: SD
Blackouts: SD
Craters on Coach's Face: SD

crush17
11-17-2010, 11:52 AM
I’m curious if Josh & the rest of the coaching staff will game plan ways for our offense to exploit their depleted LB corps.

I see that as a major weakness to focus on. Their passing defense has been good this season. Right now is where we are going to sorely miss a good pass catching TE.

Man-Goblin
11-17-2010, 11:53 AM
Recent Playoff Burnouts: SD
WRs Named Seyi Ajirotutu: SD
1st Round Draft Pick QBs with Hitches in Their Throwing Motion: Tie

ColoradoDarin
11-17-2010, 11:55 AM
We shouldn't even bother playing the game.

Broncos 3
Chargers 947

broncofan2438
11-17-2010, 12:14 PM

hahaha, so true

55CrushEm
11-17-2010, 12:14 PM

:spit:

jmz313
11-17-2010, 12:28 PM
I guess i could believe everything except the "WR SD". Thats Just dumb talk.

Kaylore
11-17-2010, 12:38 PM

LOL
Coach's who sound like they are blubbering when they get excited: Tie

lostknight
11-17-2010, 12:41 PM
When you piss away half the season, every game becomes critical - or at least every divisional game - but this game really is going to set the tone - and even before the KC game, I was thinking this game is the make or break for the whole season - assuming KC didn't put us out of our misery.

Loosing this game - going 2 behind San Diego is pretty much fatal. Everyone needs to bring their A-Game.

400HZ
11-17-2010, 12:57 PM
This should be a good game. I think both teams will be able to move the ball, so my guess would be that red zone efficiency will decide the winner.

MOCRUSH
11-17-2010, 12:58 PM
When you piss away half the season, every game becomes critical - or at least every divisional game - but this game really is going to set the tone - and even before the KC game, I was thinking this game is the make or break for the whole season - assuming KC didn't put us out of our misery.

Loosing this game - going 2 behind San Diego is pretty much fatal. Everyone needs to bring their A-Game.

This crew pissed away far more than half a season to date. I don't think "pretty much fatal" is even on the radar anymore for the McZombies of 2010, just a matter of driving stakes through hearts and lopping off heads in a low budget spoiler role.

NYBronco
11-17-2010, 01:11 PM
This crew pissed away far more than half a season to date. I don't think "pretty much fatal" is even on the radar anymore for the McZombies of 2010, just a matter of driving stakes through hearts and lopping off heads in a low budget spoiler role.

Atta boy! You keep that optimistic attitude and you will go places.

bendog
11-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Considering Norv's got an offensive background, I'd rather have McDaniels calling the plays for Den. He's a work in progress as a head coach, but Norv isn't setting the bar too high, and SD's success seems more about Rivers not letting them fall out of contention. Norv's got one more win than Den, and he's got a lot better defensive personnel.

And wr strength is a joke.

Tough game for Den because even if they come out prepared, SD knows they need a win and it's in thier place, and Rivers may have plenty of time to pick Den apart.

goldengopher1976
11-17-2010, 01:36 PM
Only thing I can figure about the way they keep rating WRs in the other team's favor is that they are factoring TEs into the equation. That being said, even though Gates>>>>>>>>>>>>>>all our TEs combined, it should be a tie at worst, because our WRs>their WRs.

Que
11-17-2010, 01:38 PM
This should be a good game. I think both teams will be able to move the ball, so my guess would be that red zone efficiency will decide the winner.

For reals? I think it will come down to whoever can score the most points - they'll end up with the best chance to win. ;)

orinjkrush
11-17-2010, 01:41 PM
i just hope they can keep the focused energy that they had for a HALF against KC, for a whole game against SD. they'll need to.

cmhargrove
11-17-2010, 01:47 PM

TEBOW! TEBOW! TEBOW!

Sorry, I just had to do that...

Mountain Bronco
11-17-2010, 01:48 PM
This.

Double This. Do these people not watch our recieving core or is it the BMarsh effect? I don't get it.

It will be tough game as SD is getting Vincent Jackson back and are playing better, but we can keep it close and hopefully win.

JJG
11-17-2010, 02:12 PM
besides the obvious wr advantage everyone else talked about #4 also puzzles me a bit. We are coming off a game where orton wasn't even touched. He had enough time to make a sandwich back there.

TheChamp24
11-17-2010, 02:17 PM
Broncos-Chargers: 10 observations

By Gary Horton
Scouts Inc.
Denver at San Diego
When: 8:30 PM ET
Watch: ESPN
More scouting reports: Week 11
Scouts Inc. Position Advantage

WR SD

5. Rivers could feast in this game: They may not all be big names, but the Chargers have great size at receiver and they can go after an aging Denver secondary that has struggled in recent weeks. WRs Malcom Floyd and Legedu Naanee, along with TE Antonio Gates, can physically outduel a Denver secondary who could be without starting corner Andre' Goodman (quadriceps). They are also vulnerable in the middle of the field to seam routes that could expose the safeties in coverage. Rivers throws a great deep pass, especially the high ball, which is a strength with tall receivers.

First, lol at Charger WR's better.
Second, everybody is saying Gates should be on IR, and Floyd and Naanee are still iffy to play. So this entire paragraph is garbage as someone was just looking at stats and bio's instead of, you know, actually know whats going on.

Archer81
11-17-2010, 02:23 PM
Did anyone else know that Brandon Lloyd is 1st in the NFL in rec. yardage?

SD will be tough, but they have serious injury concerns and ST, which won Denver the game last year in SD is worse then they were a year ago for SD. It would be nice if the same switch that got put on OFF after last year's bye got turned back ON last week.

Either way Denver, make it interesting.

:Broncos:

Chris
11-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Who do the Chargers have on pass D? Regardless... we've proven when we're on we can score on good pass Ds.

bronco militia
11-17-2010, 02:44 PM
wow...the broncos opened as 10 point dogs

brncs_fan
11-17-2010, 04:00 PM
Double This. Do these people not watch our recieving core or is it the BMarsh effect? I don't get it.

It will be tough game as SD is getting Vincent Jackson back and are playing better, but we can keep it close and hopefully win.

Hell, let Rivers throw at him. I am sure that even with all his time off has stayed in playing shape and his chemistry with Rivers is still there. I think his teammates will all welcome him back with open arms as well.

/sarcasm

crush17
11-17-2010, 04:13 PM
SD is not getting VJax back for this game.

boltaneer
11-17-2010, 04:15 PM
A few comments:

1) Vincent Jackson isn't playing this week. He's eligible to start playing next week at Indy.

2) Floyd and Naanee are practicing and look like they will play, barring any setbacks.

3) It looks almost certain that Gates won't play.

4) Norv has gone on record saying they won't have another blocked punt this season. (So I'm expecting at least one this game :rofl: )

5) There's no way in hell I'm predicting a winner with how crazy everything is in the NFL this season!

richpjr
11-17-2010, 04:24 PM
The Chargers are getting the nod at WR because they are including tight ends with the receivers. With Gates playing out of this world, you could certainly make this argument. But he is hurting and I did just read that Gates said he is 50-50 to play on Monday night.

oubronco
11-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Why do we even showup to play these games?

Chargers 9,000,000

Broncos 0

enjolras
11-17-2010, 05:38 PM
The Chargers are getting the nod at WR because they are including tight ends with the receivers. With Gates playing out of this world, you could certainly make this argument. But he is hurting and I did just read that Gates said he is 50-50 to play on Monday night.

When a player says 50/50.. .that's more like 10/90. I don't expect to see Gates. If he does play, it's going to be in a very diminished capacity.

Houshyamama
11-17-2010, 05:45 PM
A few comments:

1) Vincent Jackson isn't playing this week. He's eligible to start playing next week at Indy.

2) Floyd and Naanee are practicing and look like they will play, barring any setbacks.

3) It looks almost certain that Gates won't play.

4) Norv has gone on record saying they won't have another blocked punt this season. (So I'm expecting at least one this game :rofl: )

5) There's no way in hell I'm predicting a winner with how crazy everything is in the NFL this season!

I hate the Chargers... but living here in San Diego I can tell you this much, Charger fans are a lot classier than Chiefs or Raiders fans.

orinjkrush
11-18-2010, 07:16 AM
boy, if we could block a punt early, it would send some shock waves, wouldn't it?