PDA

View Full Version : Chargers injuries

MABroncoFan
11-15-2010, 01:19 PM
rotoworld.com...

Ryan Mathews (ankle), Antonio Gates (feet), and Legedu Naanee (hamstring) were all held out of Chargers practice Monday.

It's unclear if Malcom Floyd (hamstring) practiced, but we're guessing that he didn't since he wasn't even mentioned among Kevin Acee's injured player updates Monday. Mathews is dealing with an aggravation of his long-lasting right ankle injury. Gates won't practice much for the rest of the season. We'll have a better idea about these players' statuses on Wednesday.
Source: Kevin Acee on Twitter

Popps
11-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Gates will play. He could play with crutches and probably still grab 80 yards and a TD against us. I hate that guy.

ColoradoDarin
11-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Gates will play. He could play with crutches and probably still grab 80 yards and a TD against us. I hate that guy.

Man I miss Josh Barrett (stupid Bellicheat), he was the only one I can think of that shut Gates down (did WWIII do it once as well?).

Rulon Velvet Jones
11-15-2010, 01:27 PM
We all hate, but respect Gates. He's a killer.

Mathews has been disappointing (ask a number of fantasy owners), but Tolbert has played well and presents a different challenge. He'll truck over guys and Denver will have to be swift and tackle well to avoid being gashed. We already know what that little waterbug Sproles can do. Rivers is showing the names on the back of the WRs uniforms matters little - they're all serving him well as he continues his MVP campaign.

Get this, though - Chargers open as a 9.5 point favorite.

Los Broncos
11-15-2010, 01:29 PM
What about using Dawkins on Gates same way we used him on Clark?

Beat him up at the line, problem is once he gets free Dawkins is dust since he cant cover.

RaiderH8r
11-15-2010, 01:33 PM
What about using Dawkins on Gates same way we used him on Clark?

Beat him up at the line, problem is once he gets free Dawkins is dust since he cant cover.

And Gates has the height, hands and athleticism to play the "jump ball" advantage in a way that Clark can't.

Los Broncos
11-15-2010, 01:36 PM
And Gates has the height, hands and athleticism to play the "jump ball" advantage in a way that Clark can't.

True, it was just a thought, guess he'll eat us up no matter what.

Rock Chalk
11-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Man I miss Josh Barrett (stupid Bellicheat), he was the only one I can think of that shut Gates down (did WWIII do it once as well?).

Sam Brandon could have. He shut down all TEs. One of the most under-rated Broncos defenders during Shanahan's era.

zdoor
11-15-2010, 01:43 PM

Don't like him either but I'd love the guy if he was a Bronco.

JJJ
11-15-2010, 02:03 PM
This will be a close game. I don't that initial spread holding and I definitely don't see the Chargers covering. I see a 33-30 type game with either team winning it with their last possession. Bolts in a squeeker.

Kaylore
11-15-2010, 02:06 PM
Gates actually hasn't historically "destroyed us" they way he has other teams. He's had some good games, but his best work wasn't against us.

ColoradoDarin
11-15-2010, 02:39 PM
Sam Brandon could have. He shut down all TEs. One of the most under-rated Broncos defenders during Shanahan's era.

True, but I was thinking more of who we have (or in Barrett's case, had) recently who could cover him. Brandon was probably our last really good cover safety.

Popps
11-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Gates actually hasn't historically "destroyed us" they way he has other teams. He's had some good games, but his best work wasn't against us.

True, but he's done enough.

I watched some team recently use two guys on him. Trying to remember who that was. It worked, to an extent.

Br0nc0Buster
11-15-2010, 02:51 PM
maybe we should try McBath on Gates and also do what we did in the Colts game
have Haggan check him at the LOS and let McBath take him from there

MABroncoFan
11-15-2010, 03:17 PM

What happened to Brandon? He got injured and was never heard from again. What was his injury ... I don't recall?

Rulon Velvet Jones
11-15-2010, 03:23 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5810412&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Antonio Gates unsure of return dateEmail Print Comments Associated Press

SAN DIEGO -- Wide receivers Legedu Naanee and Malcom Floyd are optimistic that they'll be able to play when the San Diego Chargers host the Denver Broncos next Monday night.
Tight end Antonio Gates isn't so sure if he'll be back.

The Chargers returned from their bye week on Monday feeling better about their chances after Denver beat Kansas City 49-29 to tighten up the weak AFC West. Kansas City and Oakland are tied for the lead at 5-4, followed by four-time defending champion San Diego (4-5) and Denver (3-6).

Gates missed San Diego's 29-23 win at Houston on Nov. 7 with a painful plantar fasciitis injury. He says he'll do all he can to play against Denver but isn't sure at this point.

400HZ
11-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Gates will get his if he's healthy enough. I'm not a doctor, but it sounds like he doesn't have a plantar fascia anymore. Do any orthopedists post here?

TheReverend
11-15-2010, 03:32 PM

McBath can play him better than Barrett ever did and I'm a huge Barrett fan.

TheReverend
11-15-2010, 03:33 PM

Ya, he was just clearing traffic so their RBs could destroy our post-Al-Wilson-LBers 1 on 1 in space.

Requiem
11-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Game of the year for us right here. Another divisional win would be absolutely epic. Hopefully, Pittsburgh can rebound and tear up the Raiders. Not sure who Kansas City plays this week. We need this road win boys.

TEAR 'EM UP.

Rulon Velvet Jones
11-15-2010, 03:37 PM
Gates will get his if he's healthy enough. I'm not a doctor, but it sounds like he doesn't have a plantar fascia anymore. Do any orthopedists post here?

I don't think it goes away that quickly, though. I recall Tim Duncan playing with it for most of a season not too long ago. It's supposed to be absolutely brutal, like nails in your foot, when you try to walk.

Broncoman13
11-15-2010, 03:40 PM
Hit him at the line and then do your best to bracket him with a LB and Safety. Rivers is accurate enough to get the ball to him over a LB or between a LB and Safety, but if we can disrupt his timing he may not be able to get into his route soon enough. If we bump him at the line we're going to have to blitz, give Rivers time and he will tear a defense to shreds. He is the best QB in football right now, no disrespect to Peyton Manning. Both are going through some serious injury issues but Rivers is putting up the numbers. Someone will eventually point to Ws and while I generally agree, the losses that are on the Chargers record have nothing to do with Rivers more like Special Teams.

Norv Turner guaranteed they wouldn't have another blocked punt this year (5 already!). Wouldn't it be sweet if our boys finally got one!!!

400HZ
11-15-2010, 03:44 PM
I don't think it goes away that quickly, though. I recall Tim Duncan playing with it for most of a season not too long ago. It's supposed to be absolutely brutal, like nails in your foot, when you try to walk.

I might be understanding it wrong, but plantar fasciatis is a very painful partial tear that takes a long time to heal. Gates has a full tear which is much more painful but leads to faster healing. Kind of like a torn bicep.

broncofan2438
11-15-2010, 04:09 PM

Yes, I am

400HZ
11-15-2010, 05:59 PM
Yes, I am

Doogie Howser style?

broncogary
11-15-2010, 07:10 PM
True, but he's done enough.

I watched some team recently use two guys on him. Trying to remember who that was. It worked, to an extent.

The Chiefs used two or three guys on him in the season opener.

Dedhed
11-15-2010, 07:13 PM
I'd feel better if Rivers was listed as doubtful due to a right arm amputation.

broncofan2438
11-15-2010, 08:29 PM
I'd feel better if Rivers was listed as doubtful due to a right arm amputation.

Wow, thinking the same thing

Boltjolt
11-15-2010, 10:28 PM
rotoworld.com...

Ryan Mathews (ankle), Antonio Gates (feet), and Legedu Naanee (hamstring) were all held out of Chargers practice Monday.

It's unclear if Malcom Floyd (hamstring) practiced, but we're guessing that he didn't since he wasn't even mentioned among Kevin Acee's injured player updates Monday. Mathews is dealing with an aggravation of his long-lasting right ankle injury. Gates won't practice much for the rest of the season. We'll have a better idea about these players' statuses on Wednesday.
Source: Kevin Acee on Twitter

I doubt any of those guys will play. Gates should be out for the season. For him to even try and play is ridiculous with his injury. Floyd, i have no idea if he is close to playing and Mathews reagravated his high ankle sprain. Naanee hasnt played in weeks.
No matter..........Crayton and the Rookie Ajirotutu have been playing well. So we'll see what they can do again with the makeshift WR's and backup TE's. Not too worried, Rivers dont care who you are. Get open and you will get the ball. Everybody will, he spreads it around.

boltaneer
11-15-2010, 10:30 PM
It sounds like Naanee and Floyd may play but it's too early in the week to say.

I'd be shocked if Gates plays. I'm surprised he's not on IR.

baja
11-15-2010, 10:37 PM

You mean the guy we let walk to Seattle?

JJJ
11-15-2010, 11:34 PM

He usually has decent games against Denver but it usually completely overshadowed by Donkie tight ends running roughshod over, around, and through our secondary. Scheffler made over 50% of his career TDs in SD games.