PDA

View Full Version : McNabb gets 5-year, $78M extension

TDmvp
11-15-2010, 01:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5809694

/ponder ... And all the talking heads was just saying Mcnabb was a stop gap who would most likely be gone after a year...

I figure they will still try to get a young Qb to groom but still kinda shocked they extended him right after all the drama.

bronco militia
11-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Wtf

Rohirrim
11-15-2010, 01:50 PM
Shanahan puts another team in hock with bad contracts. ;D

TheElusiveKyleOrton
http://officeforward.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/thats_racist.gif

Dr. Broncenstein
Lolwut

TheReverend
11-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Wtf

Lol awesome

Gort
11-15-2010, 01:52 PM
i bet i could sell Dan Snyder some prime beachfront property out here in Colorado.

Beantown Bronco
11-15-2010, 01:55 PM
Did they throw in a free gym membership as well?

Mr.Meanie
11-15-2010, 01:58 PM
:spit:

bronco militia
11-15-2010, 02:00 PM
http://www.mattstew.com/files/rush-limbaugh.jpg

dbfan21
11-15-2010, 02:00 PM
Too much money for a guy in the twilight of his career. Bad move, Shanny.

theAPAOps5
11-15-2010, 02:02 PM
Wow shanny went full retard!

24champ
11-15-2010, 02:02 PM
Holeeee-sssheeeee-it....wow.

That's got BAD contract written all over it.

ColoradoDarin
11-15-2010, 02:06 PM
Now McNabb has 78 million reasons to learn the 2 minute drill?

Good luck McFatty.

TonyR
11-15-2010, 02:10 PM
What a debacle! McNabb is very close to being washed up. Somewhere Mr. Pat Bowlen is having himself a good laugh.

Popps
11-15-2010, 02:11 PM
Yikes.

Maybe Bowlen isn't the one going senile.

Jason in LA
11-15-2010, 02:11 PM
I don't get this, and I've always been a big McNabb fan. I always thought that he'd be a great fit for Shanahan's offense. But he hasn't played well this year. Maybe the Redskins are thinking that it takes longer than 8 games to grasp Shanahan's offense.

baja
11-15-2010, 02:16 PM
I think this is an indication that maybe Shanny is not making the GM decisions in Washington. Shanny benches McNabb thantwo weeks later the FO gives him the big extension.

edog24
11-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Insane. There are some seriously disfunctional teams out there right now.

Popps
11-15-2010, 02:20 PM
I'd assume this was done as a measure to curtail the distraction Shanahan created by benching him. They might have seen it as a way to show confidence and hence, save the season.

Either way, it's just bizarre on so many levels.

ColoradoDarin
11-15-2010, 02:22 PM
$40 million guaranteed, incentives could push the total up to $88 million.

In. Sane.

lostknight
11-15-2010, 02:22 PM
Shanahan doesn't have GM power in Washington. This one is all on Snyder.

Br0nc0Buster
11-15-2010, 02:23 PM
lol
this is just...stupid

bronco militia
11-15-2010, 02:24 PM

yes he does...he has final say over Bruce allen...

there's a thread or two about it on the Mane.

the same goes for Josh Mcdaniels and the X-man

bronco militia
11-15-2010, 02:27 PM
that being said, I'm stunned Bruce Allen was on-board with this move after the last two weeks.

Smiling Assassin27
11-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Good for Donovan. Next up: Draft a hot shot qb this spring, watch Donovan get all butthurt about it and get replaced as starter midway thru a promising season in DC. I think we've all seen this one before, right Jake? Jay? The only thing missing is, well, John Engleberger. Enjoy this, Foreskin fans...This is shanny's way of pushing mcnabb into retirement--all part of the plan.

TonyR
11-15-2010, 02:40 PM

So you're seriously suggesting that Shanahan wasn't involved in this decision? Please.

Man-Goblin
11-15-2010, 02:44 PM
I skimmed over the thread title initially and I thought it said "McDaniels gets 5 year $78 million extension".

I was like whoa! The old man really is bat-**** crazy! Then I realized it was a thread about a different team's crazy coach and owner.

Sweet.

elsid13
11-15-2010, 02:45 PM
It has been reported that this deal has been on going for since training camp. Bruce Allen was in charge of the details but Shanahan had final say. The contract also has been reported to have a number of clauses/tiggers in to protect the skins if something goes wrong. At 15.6 million a year, it about the average for a starting QB in the league.

baja
11-15-2010, 02:53 PM
Just heard Lombardi on NFL say this deal is all Snyder & Bruce Allen and that Shanahan was not in on the deal. He went on to say there seems to be a disconnect between Shanny and the FO. Interesting!

montrose
11-15-2010, 02:56 PM
The best Tweet I saw on this was "Isiah Thomas thinks this is a bad deal."

Per your comment Baja, interesting to see if a possible divide is already taking place in Washington.

baja
11-15-2010, 03:03 PM
It has been reported that this deal has been on going for since training camp. Bruce Allen was in charge of the details but Shanahan had final say. <b> The contract also has been reported to have a number of clauses/tiggers in to protect the skins if something goes wrong. </b> At 15.6 million a year, it about the average for a starting QB in the league.

Forty million guaranteed

elsid13
11-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Forty million guaranteed

So? Brady got $48.5 million guaranteed over 5 years, Cutler got $20M guaranteed for two, Matt Stafford got $41.7 million guaranteed and Sam Bradford got $50 million in guaranteed money.

It the going rate for starting QB in the NFL.

baja
11-15-2010, 03:20 PM
So? Brady got $48.5 million guaranteed over 5 years, Cutler got $20M guaranteed for two, Matt Stafford got $41.7 million guaranteed and Sam Bradford got $50 million in guaranteed money.

You miss my point. Your post said the contract contained protection clauses.

I'm pointing out the Skins are on the hook for 40 million no matter what.

Houshyamama
11-15-2010, 04:12 PM
I thought he was closer to getting cut.

elsid13
11-15-2010, 04:22 PM
You miss my point. Your post said the contract contained protection clauses.

I'm pointing out the Skins are on the hook for 40 million no matter what.

The contract does have protection because the total value is close to 80M, plus no one is sure what in the contract because it hasn't be sent to the league office yet.

baja
11-15-2010, 04:40 PM
The contract does have protection because the total value is close to 80M, plus no one is sure what in the contract because it hasn't be sent to the league office yet.

It has been reported all day that 40 mil. is guaranteed. I don't know about you but that is a lot of dough to be on the hook for a 33 year old qb on the decline.

Chris
11-15-2010, 04:56 PM
I thought the article was a joke when I first read it. Had to double check the link.

TonyR
11-15-2010, 05:01 PM

It's the going rate for great (Brady) and/or young (the others you listed) QB's, not has beens.

elsid13
11-15-2010, 05:05 PM
It has been reported all day that 40 mil. is guaranteed. I don't know about you but that is a lot of dough to be on the hook for a 33 year old qb on the decline.

That the going rate for quality starter in the NFL (see my post above). I am surprised McNabb's agent let sign the deal, because between Az, Minn, SF and Oakland he could have gotten a hell of lot more.

TonyR
11-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Just heard Lombardi on NFL say this deal is all Snyder & Bruce Allen and that Shanahan was not in on the deal. He went on to say there seems to be a disconnect between Shanny and the FO. Interesting!

This is interesting in light of the way the deal with Shanahan was initially reported:

After an afternoon of negotiations produced an agreement, Mike Shanahan signed a five-year contract to become executive vice president and head coach for the Washington Redskins.

Under the terms of the new deal, Shanahan will team with Redskins executive vice president and general manager Bruce Allen, but Shanahan will have the ultimate authority on football decisions.

Undermine your new $7 million/year coach? Doesn't make sense.

baja
11-15-2010, 05:13 PM
This is interesting in light of the way the deal with Shanahan was initially reported:

After an afternoon of negotiations produced an agreement, Mike Shanahan signed a five-year contract to become executive vice president and head coach for the Washington Redskins.

Under the terms of the new deal, Shanahan will team with Redskins executive vice president and general manager Bruce Allen, but Shanahan will have the ultimate authority on football decisions.

Unless there is some recent disillusionment with Shanny the GM. Lombardi is a pretty trustworthy reporter.

elsid13
11-15-2010, 05:18 PM
Unless there is some recent disillusionment with Shanny the GM. Lombardi is a pretty trustworthy reporter.

Yet all the local beat reporters that cover the skins, here in DC, said something different. Allen worked the deal and numbers and got Shanahan sign off before they presented the deal to Synder. The disconnect is the fact Shanahan stated after training camp he would not be actively involved in the negotiations and would only focus on coaching. Leaving Allen to handle it.

baja
11-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Yet all the local beat reporters that cover the skins, here in DC, said something different. Allen worked the deal and numbers and got Shanahan sign off before they presented the deal to Synder. The disconnect is the fact Shanahan stated after training camp he would not be actively involved in the negotiations and would only focus on coaching. Leaving Allen to handle it.

Well clearly you are closer to the team than I. I'm just repeating what I heard.

Jetmeck
11-15-2010, 05:33 PM
Mc Nabb has always been inaccurate IMO. sHORT PASSES and mobility is his thing. Thats way too much money. Wouldn't get rid of him but Holy chit BATMAN that is crazy !!!

Br0nc0Buster
11-15-2010, 05:34 PM

um no, thats the going rate for elite players and top draft picks(Cutler being the exception).
That isnt the going rate for old injury prone qbs who get benched in 2 minute drills

if you think McNabb is even close to as valuable as someone like Brady you are nuttier than Shanny

how many people would flip if we paid Orton 40 mill guaranteed?
and he is younger and even playing better than McNabb

elsid13
11-15-2010, 05:43 PM
Well clearly you are closer to the team than I. I'm just repeating what I heard.

I am just repeating what been on all the local news and radio station. We don't believe what national press say about Denver, why should it be any different in other cities. The local guys/gals know what going on and the national guys/gals are playing catch up.

baja
11-15-2010, 05:48 PM
I am just repeating what been on all the local news and radio station. We don't believe what national press say about Denver, why should it be any different in other cities. The local guys/gals know what going on and the national guys/gals are playing catch up.

Well your repeating what you heard and I'm repeating what I heard, to hell with this I'm callin Shanny. I'll get back to you.

montrose
11-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Man, how much is Rex worth then?!

elsid13
Well your repeating what you heard and I'm repeating what I heard, to hell with this I'm callin Shanny. I'll get back to you.

Make sure he pays you for the boating trip next time.

Jesterhole
Even if McNabb can offer two more season of high caliber play after this season, that contract is still way too much. He'd have to give them at least three more seasons to justify the guaranteed amount.

baja
11-15-2010, 05:54 PM
Make sure he pays you for the boating trip next time.

He always paid for the boat but he stuck me with the bait cost. Something about being out of work.

Atwater His Ass
11-15-2010, 05:55 PM
If you think rookie unproven QB's are worth what they are getting, you're an idiot.

It's not what they worth, it's what the market value is. This deal is well within the market value of an NFL starting QB.

Cito Pelon
11-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Did they throw in a free gym membership as well?

A stipulation in the contract is he has to convert one of the bowling lanes in his basement to a 25 yd long treadmill.

Cito Pelon
11-15-2010, 06:01 PM
I don't get this, and I've always been a big McNabb fan. I always thought that he'd be a great fit for Shanahan's offense. But he hasn't played well this year. Maybe the Redskins are thinking that it takes longer than 8 games to grasp Shanahan's offense.

Nah, who would think that a new QB in a new system would struggle a little?

Cito Pelon
11-15-2010, 06:05 PM
$40 million guaranteed, incentives could push the total up to $88 million.

In. Sane.

Good Lord. $40 million guaranteed? Congrats to McNabb, couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

baja
11-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Nah, who would think that a new QB in a new system would struggle a little?

Ya and benching him for a Rex Grossman during the last two minutes of a winnable game is a powerful teaching tool....

Builds confidence and shows support.

phillybroncosnut
11-15-2010, 06:13 PM
Wow.... Thats a countries worth of wasted money

phillybroncosnut
11-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Good Lord. $40 million guaranteed? Congrats to McNabb, couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Really? Why?

Probably the most over rated player Ive seen on a football field in my life.

TDmvp
11-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Really? Why?

He didn't say anything about the player , he commented on the man and there isn't many nicer , classier guys in the NFL ... period ...

Apples meet oranges ... :clown:

baja
11-15-2010, 06:27 PM
He didn't say anything about the player , he commented on the man and there isn't many nicer , classier guys in the NFL ... period ...

In that light I'm happy for McNabb

Cito Pelon
11-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Really? Why?

Dude carried the Eagles to 4 NFC Title games, despite what I thought was ridiculous play calling by Andy Reid the way he seemed to ignore a good running game. Reid put all kinds of pressure on McNabb to win with his arm and poor WR's when Reid IMO would have been smarter to use that excellent OL he had to run the dang ball.

Also, I said it couldn't happen to a nicer guy, and McNabb is a nice guy.

WolfpackGuy
11-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Hmm, they just announced 10 million guaranteed on MNF.

Dedhed
11-15-2010, 06:41 PM
Really? Why?

That's a gross overstatement. You must never have watched Cutler.

Cito Pelon
11-15-2010, 06:41 PM

True.

eddie mac
11-15-2010, 06:43 PM
Bwah on McNabb

Eagles should give Vick $78m. What a pick up he was.

eddie mac
11-15-2010, 06:44 PM

ESPN just said $10m guaranteed so I guess we'll see when all is said and done.

bowtown
11-15-2010, 06:46 PM
I predict Shanahan will now move up in the 1st round to take a QB this year.

phillybroncosnut
11-15-2010, 06:48 PM

Classy? really? A guy who routinely throws his teamates uder the bus.... except, he never had the stones to do it directly. he always went around the way to throw them under the bus.
Just an example:
Last season when he got exposed, owned and embarrassed in the regular season, his excuse was "we showed our YOUTH". Really? Really..... Yep, so classy. McChoke has alot of the country fooled but you need to look further.
Oh yeah, and just a little Info for you.....Remember the entire TO McChoke dispute? Guess who caused The entire problem? Here's a hint.... it was your "Mr Classy". The guy is FAAAAAAAAR from clssy and ever further from a good teamate.

Cito Pelon
11-15-2010, 06:49 PM
Bwah on McNabb

Eagles should give Vick $78m. What a pick up he was.

Ironic, isn't it, that McNabb welcomed Vick onto the Eagles team, mentored him.

phillybroncosnut
11-15-2010, 06:53 PM
Dude carried the Eagles to 4 NFC Title games, despite what I thought was ridiculous play calling by Andy Reid the way he seemed to ignore a good running game. Reid put all kinds of pressure on McNabb to win with his arm and poor WR's when Reid IMO would have been smarter to use that excellent OL he had to run the dang ball.

Also, I said it couldn't happen to a nicer guy, and McNabb is a nice guy.

The "Really" was for the "classy" comment. A little homework would help Cito....

And BTW, He also CHOKED as a FAVORITE 4 times in the conference title game. Plummer did that in 1 title game and look how fast people killed him.

IIRC..... John didnt have much WR wise but al least he was able to not LOSE 4 Confernce title games as a FAVORITE....

Its ok, I understand. I hate the fat guy but on a NATIONAL level, Rush was correct. The PC police frowned but he was pretty accurate. Watch how fast McChoke's worm balls, throwing behind WR's and choking when it matters most grow on Shanny and the Washington natives. Oh wait, its already happening. Only took 7 games

phillybroncosnut
11-15-2010, 06:53 PM
Ironic, isn't it, that McNabb welcomed Vick onto the Eagles team, mentored him.

OMG.... mentored him? LMAO..... you live in la la land

Dr. Broncenstein
11-15-2010, 06:57 PM
OMG.... mentored him? LMAO..... you live in la la land

Kirwan did a segment on this very topic today. Vick has acknowledged McNabb's role as a mentor as the reason for his surprising play. He openly admits to approaching the game differently "as Donvan would" or something along those lines.

Cito Pelon
11-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Classy? really? A guy who routinely throws his teamates uder the bus.... except, he never had the stones to do it directly. he always went around the way to throw them under the bus.
Just an example:
Last season when he got exposed, owned and embarrassed in the regular season, his excuse was "we showed our YOUTH". Really? Really..... Yep, so classy. McChoke has alot of the country fooled but you need to look further.
Oh yeah, and just a little Info for you.....Remember the entire TO McChoke dispute? Guess who caused The entire problem? Here's a hint.... it was your "Mr Classy". The guy is FAAAAAAAAR from clssy and ever further from a good teamate.

If you say so, that's fine with me. I'm viewing the guy from afar, apparently you have more intimate knowledge of the guy and hold a grudge I'm guessing. I thought the Eagles were fortunate to get a player of his caliber.

4 NFC Title games is pretty good in my thinking.

phillybroncosnut
11-15-2010, 07:01 PM
Kirwan did a segment on this very topic today. Vick has acknowledged McNabb's role as a mentor as the reason for his surprising play. He openly admits to approaching the game differently "as Donvan would" or something along those lines.

I often wonder about Kirwins "info". if its true, I applaud the dog killer. it was oft touched on here on Philly sports talk the fan and host reactions to McChokes facial expression everytime McNabb was pulled for Vick to run the wildcat.
Do I doubt McNabb helped Vick take a different approach? no..... Mentored is a bit strong though

phillybroncosnut
11-15-2010, 07:03 PM
If you say so, that's fine with me. I'm viewing the guy from afar, apparently you have more intimate knowledge of the guy and hold a grudge I'm guessing. I thought the Eagles were fortunate to get a player of his caliber.

4 NFC Title games is pretty good in my thinking.

I dont hold a grudge at all. Im actually mad the Egirls trded him. As long as McChoke was here, it gauranteed the Egirls would NOT win a SB. Now, they have a better chance.

Did you know that there has NEVER been a QB that has had a top 5 Defense for 6 years? Except McChoke..... He made the most of that huh?

baja
11-15-2010, 07:05 PM
Hmm, they just announced 10 million guaranteed on MNF.

That would make a lot more sense.

Dr. Broncenstein
11-15-2010, 07:06 PM
I often wonder about Kirwins "info". if its true, I applaud the dog killer. it was oft touched on here on Philly sports talk the fan and host reactions to McChokes facial expression everytime McNabb was pulled for Vick to run the wildcat.
Do I doubt McNabb helped Vick take a different approach? no..... Mentored is a bit strong though

If I recall correctly, he said that McNabb and Vick had a relationship that started way before Vick going to Philly. More specifically, he called it a mentorship. And his source was from the mouth of Vick. Not that I give a shiat either way, just relaying what I heard on the radio while trying not to die on the nightmare that is the Tulsa interstate construction/highway system.

baja
11-15-2010, 07:06 PM
I predict Shanahan will now move up in the 1st round to take a QB this year.

LOL good one

phillybroncosnut
11-15-2010, 07:08 PM
Big game tonight with alot of division and playoff implications..... How is McChoke fairing? LOL.....

0-21 at Home yo? C'mon Don..... But you're a "hall of fame QB yo"

phillybroncosnut
11-15-2010, 07:10 PM
If I recall correctly, he said that McNabb and Vick had a relationship that started way before Vick going to Philly. More specifically, he called it a mentorship. And his source was from the mouth of Vick. Not that I give a shiat either way, just relaying what I heard on the radio while trying not to die on the nightmare that is the Tulsa interstate construction/highway system.

LOL...... It's cool DR..... I wasnt aware either. It means nothing to me either. You have a phoney mentoring a felon. Thanks for educating me tho....

The reason I question Kirwin sometimes is cause he knows WAY too much. Its actually a compliment in a wierd sorta way

Cito Pelon
11-15-2010, 07:11 PM
The "Really" was for the "classy" comment. A little homework would help Cito....

And BTW, He also CHOKED as a FAVORITE 4 times in the conference title game. Plummer did that in 1 title game and look how fast people killed him.

IIRC..... John didnt have much WR wise but al least he was able to not LOSE 4 Confernce title games as a FAVORITE....

Its ok, I understand. I hate the fat guy but on a NATIONAL level, Rush was correct. The PC police frowned but he was pretty accurate. Watch how fast McChoke's worm balls, throwing behind WR's and choking when it matters most grow on Shanny and the Washington natives. Oh wait, its already happening. Only took 7 games

If you say he's a jerk, that's fine with me. You say do my homework, ok, maybe I don't know all the intimate details you do. I'm viewing the guy from afar and my impression is he's a nice guy, seems to have a lot of respect around the League.

baja
11-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Sure seems strange to see Shanny on somebody else's sidelines.

phillybroncosnut
11-15-2010, 07:15 PM
If you say he's a jerk, that's fine with me. You say do my homework, ok, maybe I don't know all the intimate details you do. I'm viewing the guy from afar and my impression is he's a nice guy, seems to have a lot of respect around the League.

Yeah,,, do your homework was a little much. I'm sorry bro....

phillybroncosnut
11-15-2010, 07:15 PM

I dont like it either

baja
11-15-2010, 07:19 PM

LOL We got one of those here between Todo Santos and Cabo san Lucas. It's like that old show where you had to pick door #1, 2, 3

This road I drive has places where you have these choices. Choose the first 'door' and it runs you into a parked dump truck. Chose the second door and it's the on coming traffic. Last choice is the road sort of.

Cito Pelon
11-15-2010, 07:24 PM
Yeah,,, do your homework was a little much. I'm sorry bro....

No sweat.

Sassy
11-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Maybe McNabb's contract should have been done AFTER this game! LOL!

Dedhed
11-15-2010, 08:30 PM
I kind of enjoy watching the fail from a distance. Thanks for two great years Shanny, but glad you're elsewhere.

baja
11-15-2010, 08:41 PM
I kind of enjoy watching the fail from a distance. Thanks for two great years Shanny, but glad you're elsewhere.

It will be interesting what the piners for Shanny will say about this. ;D

phillybroncosnut
11-15-2010, 08:48 PM
It will be interesting what the piners for Shanny will say about this. ;D

Ill always like Shanny.... He brought us 2 things no one else could and ill NEVER forget that. The last 10 years were frustration but can and will be forgotten. 97 and 98 and really, 96 will NEVER be forgotten

baja
11-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Ill always like Shanny.... He brought us 2 things no one else could and ill NEVER forget that. The last 10 years were frustration but can and will be forgotten. 97 and 98 and really, 96 will NEVER be forgotten

It was so sweet when all that magic came together.

Biggest football disappointment ever, Jags in 96 second place isn't even on the same page.

phillybroncosnut
11-15-2010, 09:02 PM
It was so sweet when all that magic came together.

Biggest football disappointment ever, Jags in 96 second place isn't even on the same page.

I agree that the Jags loss was a bigger disappointment then most. The 87 SB tops my list. We were better then Wash and Doug Williams friggin fumbled when he got hurt. If we go up 17-0, there is no 35 point second quarter. On the very first play when John hit Nattiel on the bomb, I was conviced we were gonna win.
The Jags is second all time for me. But, You gotta admit, the 96 regular season was alot of fun.

baja
11-15-2010, 10:59 PM
I agree that the Jags loss was a bigger disappointment then most. The 87 SB tops my list. We were better then Wash and Doug Williams friggin fumbled when he got hurt. If we go up 17-0, there is no 35 point second quarter. On the very first play when John hit Nattiel on the bomb, I was conviced we were gonna win.
<b>The Jags is second all time for me. But, You gotta admit, the 96 regular season was alot of fun.

Sure was. That's why the loss was such a bummer.

The Washington SB was second for me.

montrose
11-15-2010, 11:06 PM
Crazy, just crazy.

broncocalijohn
11-15-2010, 11:31 PM
I think this is an indication that maybe Shanny is not making the GM decisions in Washington. Shanny benches McNabb thantwo weeks later the FO gives him the big extension.

exactly. Why would Shanny do this knowing he would rather have Grossman play the last 2 minutes? This contract would be for a full 60 minutes of play and win it when it counts. This has FO written all over it and done regardless if Shanny wanted it or not.

Beantown Bronco
11-16-2010, 07:19 AM

Well, to play Devil's Advocate, I guess they could technically say this is a contract decision, not a football or even personnel decision.....since it involves a player Shanny already approved. All they're doing is paying him more money after Shanny gave the signing his blessing.

bowtown
11-16-2010, 07:29 AM
Bowtown's consipracy theory of the day:

It's been reported that the Redskins and McNabb's camp have been close to this extension for weeks now but were getting hung up on the details. I wonder if the benching was a warning shot from Shanahan and the Skins to light a fire under McNabb and Co. If it was, it worked.

baja
11-16-2010, 07:58 AM
Bowtown's consipracy theory of the day:

It's been reported that the Redskins and McNabb's camp have been close to this extension for weeks now but were getting hung up on the details. I wonder if the benching was a warning shot from Shanahan and the Skins to light a fire under McNabb and Co. If it was, it worked.

You really think the skins would put a winnable game in jeopardy just to motivate McNabb to sign an extension? I really doubt that.

ShutDownPoster
11-16-2010, 08:03 AM
I know I'm a salary cap idiot - but how can you have Albert and Donavon on the same payroll? Just boggles my salary cap illiterate mind.

Beantown Bronco
11-16-2010, 08:04 AM
I know I'm a salary cap idiot - but how can you have Albert and Donavon on the same payroll? Just boggles my salary cap illiterate mind.

Well, for one, there currently isn't a cap.

baja
11-16-2010, 08:06 AM
Well, for one, there currently isn't a cap.

Plus Albert will be gone fron the skins roster next year. No way they pay a guy that much that doesn't fit their system.

TonyR
11-16-2010, 08:07 AM

One thing to keep in mind is that I think you can spread the signing bonus over the life of the deal from a cap perspective. Also, often times the total deal isn't quite as large as stated necessarily because the later years aren't guaranteed and are instead team options.

ShutDownPoster
11-16-2010, 08:07 AM
Plus Albert will be gone fron the skins roster next year. No way they pay a guy that much that doesn't fit their system.

But then that means a buttload of dead money right??

baja
11-16-2010, 08:09 AM
I wonder if because of this no cap year and a new agreement required to have football next season if all dead cap money will be erased from the books.

bronco militia
11-16-2010, 01:32 PM
ok.....yesterdays report was bull****

ESPN NFL insider Chris Mortensen clarifies Donovan McNabb's new deal in Washington. With the uncertain labor situation, both sides needed each other.

McNabb's five-year extension is worth $70 million and can get to $78.5 million if he is on the active roster for every game in those five seasons. The deal's maximum value is $88.5 million if McNabb leads his team to a Super Bowl victory every year.

But the real question is how much he'll actually earn and whether it will be in Washington.

One of the contract's most significant points is a payment due this offseason, when the Redskins must decide whether to pay McNabb a $10 million option bonus. If they do, it would trigger the rest of the contract and make Washington liable for McNabb's $2.5 million base salary in 2011.

If they don't, then McNabb would stand to cash in. McNabb then would get to become an unrestricted free agent at a time when multiple teams will be looking to upgrade their quarterback, the position that commands the game's priciest salaries.

On his weekly radio show Tuesday, McNabb said he isn't worried about being cut after this season.

"I will be here next year ... I'll be here for years to come," he said, according to The Washington Post.

"I will be here for the next couple of years to continue to turn this thing around," McNabb said, according to the newspaper. "I think I'm happy, I hope the Redskin nation is happy. I look forward to continue to try to move this thing in the right direction."

Option bonuses have become standard in all current deals due to the league's financial uncertainty and the lack of a collective bargaining agreement.

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has injury guarantees that become fully vested at a future date, like McNabb.

NFC East blog ESPN.com's Matt Mosley writes about all things NFC East in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

In McNabb's case, the Redskins paid their quarterback $3.75 million in 2010 for the right to pay him $12.5 million in 2011 and control his rights.

If the Redskins cut him after the year or trade him, they are only on the hook for the $3.75 million while McNabb has his football freedom. Plus, with this deal, the Redskins now will pay McNabb $17.5 million this season -- more than the franchise quarterback salary.

If McNabb suffered a catastrophic injury this season and never played again, he also would receive $25 million more.

Here is how the rest of the full deal breaks down, according to an NFLPA source:

• 2010: $3.5 million signing bonus/$250,000 if active eight games

• 2011: $10 million option bonus/$2.5 million salary/$750,000 if active 16 games/$250,000 workout/$2 million possible playoff incentives

• 2012: $12.75 million salary/$750,000 if active 16 games/$250,000 workout/$2 million possible playoff incentives

• 2013: $13 million salary/$1.5 million if active 16 games/$250,000 workout/$2 million possible playoff incentives

• 2014: $13.75 million salary/$3 million if active 16 games/$250,000 workout/$2 million possible playoff incentives

• 2015: $13.55 million salary/$2.25 million if active 16 games/$250,000 workout/$2 million possible playoff incentives

Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider.

baja
11-16-2010, 02:00 PM
ok.....yesterdays report was bull****

ESPN NFL insider Chris Mortensen clarifies Donovan McNabb's new deal in Washington. With the uncertain labor situation, both sides needed each other.

McNabb's five-year extension is worth $70 million and can get to $78.5 million if he is on the active roster for every game in those five seasons. The deal's maximum value is $88.5 million if McNabb leads his team to a Super Bowl victory every year.

But the real question is how much he'll actually earn and whether it will be in Washington.

One of the contract's most significant points is a payment due this offseason, when the Redskins must decide whether to pay McNabb a $10 million option bonus. If they do, it would trigger the rest of the contract and make Washington liable for McNabb's $2.5 million base salary in 2011.

If they don't, then McNabb would stand to cash in. McNabb then would get to become an unrestricted free agent at a time when multiple teams will be looking to upgrade their quarterback, the position that commands the game's priciest salaries.

On his weekly radio show Tuesday, McNabb said he isn't worried about being cut after this season.

"I will be here next year ... I'll be here for years to come," he said, according to The Washington Post.

"I will be here for the next couple of years to continue to turn this thing around," McNabb said, according to the newspaper. "I think I'm happy, I hope the Redskin nation is happy. I look forward to continue to try to move this thing in the right direction."

Option bonuses have become standard in all current deals due to the league's financial uncertainty and the lack of a collective bargaining agreement.

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has injury guarantees that become fully vested at a future date, like McNabb.

NFC East blog ESPN.com's Matt Mosley writes about all things NFC East in his division blog.

Blog network: NFL Nation

In McNabb's case, the Redskins paid their quarterback $3.75 million in 2010 for the right to pay him $12.5 million in 2011 and control his rights.

If the Redskins cut him after the year or trade him, they are only on the hook for the $3.75 million while McNabb has his football freedom. Plus, with this deal, the Redskins now will pay McNabb $17.5 million this season -- more than the franchise quarterback salary.

If McNabb suffered a catastrophic injury this season and never played again, he also would receive $25 million more.

Here is how the rest of the full deal breaks down, according to an NFLPA source:

2010: $3.5 million signing bonus/$250,000 if active eight games

2011: $10 million option bonus/$2.5 million salary/$750,000 if active 16 games/$250,000 workout/$2 million possible playoff incentives

2012: $12.75 million salary/$750,000 if active 16 games/$250,000 workout/$2 million possible playoff incentives

2013: $13 million salary/$1.5 million if active 16 games/$250,000 workout/$2 million possible playoff incentives

2014: $13.75 million salary/$3 million if active 16 games/$250,000 workout/$2 million possible playoff incentives

2015: $13.55 million salary/$2.25 million if active 16 games/$250,000 workout/$2 million possible playoff incentives

Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider.

Now that makes a lot more sense than what was first reported. I knew the 40 million guaranteed was wrong, even Snyder wouldn't give out a contract like that to a 33 year old player

lostknight
11-16-2010, 06:04 PM
McNabb's agent, Fletcher Smith, clarified some of the details of McNabb's deal Tuesday. He says while the contract is worded so that it has "$40 million in guarantees," the Redskins do have an option to cut McNabb at the end of the season with no further money due.

McNabb receives a $3.5 million bonus this year as part of the new agreement, but the rest of the five-year, $78 million package would come to naught if the team decides to cut ties.

In other words, McNabb has a one-year contract. Simple as that.